Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
1. Maharashtra Government has rolled out Deradicalisation Program for the minority community to counter both home-grown extremism and the global Islamic State (IS) threat.
This program aims at bringing youth especially from the minority community into the mainstream and make coordinated efforts and policies in different 13 sectors for their empowerment.
2. World Health Organization (WHO) recommended all governments to rate movies with smoking scenes to protect children and adolescents from tobacco addiction in Geneva.
According to the WHO’s third edition of Smoke-free movies: from evidence to action report, movies showing the use of tobacco products have enticed millions of young people worldwide to start smoking.
1. Kerala has won the 61st National School Athletics championship which concluded in Kozhikode.
With this, Kerala (host) become champions in the event for the 19th consecutive time.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Kerala’s all-women taxicab service She-Taxi received the prestigious Chief Minister’s Award for Innovation in Public Policy 2014 in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
It was selected for the recognition in the developmental interventions category.
2. Manipuri documentary film Phum-Shang bagged the prestigious Golden Conch Award for the best documentary film at the 14th Mumbai International Film Festival for Documentary, Animation and Short Films (MIFF 2016).
3. Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) announced that it has been rated as the World’s Most Powerful Brand in IT Services by Brand Finance, the world’s leading brand valuation firm.
4. Sarangi maestro Pandit Ram Narayan was selected for the prestigious Bharat Ratna Pandit Bhimsen Joshi Classical Music Award for 2015-2016.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Former IAS officer D J Pandian has been appointed vice-president and chief investment officer (CIO) of Beijing-based Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB).
2. Principal Adviser (Cost) Mrs. Aruna Sethi has been appointed as head of Indian Cost Accounts Service (ICoAS).
With this, she becomes first lady ICoAS officer to the topmost post.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The Union Government has constituted two new committees namely Tax Policy Research Unit (TPRU) and Tax Policy Council (TPC) to streamline the taxation policy and administration.
Tax Policy Research Unit (TPRU)
It will assist the TPC in taking appropriate policy decisions and shall prepare tax proposal and analysis of legislative intent.
It will also take decisions on expected increase or decrease in tax collection and economic impact.
It will comprise of officers from CBEC, CBDT as well as economists, researchers, statisticians and legal experts.
Tax Policy Council (TPC)
It shall aim to have a consistent and coherent approach to the issue of tax policy.
It will look at all the research findings coming from TPRU and suggest broad policy measures for taxation.
2. The European Union (EU) approved 3.3 billion Euros in funding to help Turkey cope with the issue of Syrian migrants.
At present, Turkey is home to around 3 million Syrians who fled the country since the beginning of the civil war in 2011.
The funding is aimed at curbing flow of asylum seekers into the Europe by tightening its borders with Turkey.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. All 12 Pacific Rim countries have signed Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) agreement in Auckland, New Zealand making it one of the biggest trade deals in history.
These 12 countries are: Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Brunei Darussalam, Japan, Canada, United States, Mexico, Peru, Chile, Australia and New Zealand.
Science & Technology:
1. Hyderabad-based vaccines manufacturer Bharat Biotech has announced a breakthrough in developing the world’s first Zika vaccine by developing two candidates.
These two candidates are in an advanced stage of development and could be ready soon after pre-clinical studies concluded in the next five months.
2. Reliance Defence Ltd, a subsidiary of Reliance Infrastructure Ltd, will set up the Dhirubhai Ambani Centre for Innovation and Research in Aerospace in Bengaluru.
The centre, the first-ever of its kind in the private sector in India, will be a world class facility for research, development and innovation in aerospace technology. It will generate more than 1500 highly skilled jobs.
The centre will be a knowledge-driven technology venture and will function as a global centre of aerospace excellence.
3. Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) launched the BGR-34, the country’s first anti-diabetic ayurvedic drug for Diabetes. BGR is acronym for blood glucose regulator.
1. Every year World Cancer Day (WCD) is being observed on 4 February across the world to raise awareness of cancer and to encourage its prevention, detection, and treatment.
The theme (tagline) for year 2016 WCD is “We can. I can”. It reflects on what everyone can do to raise awareness of cancer and asks to take pledge and action in fight against cancer.
2. The Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA), 2005 completed ten years of implementation on 2nd February 2016.
Under the Act, Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme was launched with the objective of providing at least 100 days of employment in rural areas across the country.