Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. The first-ever North East-ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) Business Summit kicked off in Imphal, Manipur with the focus on road connectivity, trade and tourism.
The two day summit has been organized by Manipur Commerce and Industries Department (MCID) in collaboration with the Union Ministries of External Affairs and Development of North-Eastern Region (DoNER), Indian Chamber of Commerce (ICC) and Indian Chamber of Service Industries (ICSI).
The Summit aims at attracting investment from both domestic and foreign firms to the North-Eastern states to increase productivity and generate employment in the region.
International – Across the Globe:
1. A statue of Maharaja Ranjit Singh will be installed in France’s Saint-Tropez town on 17 September 2016.
The town is the birth place of Maharaja’s Army General Jean-Francois Allard.
Maharaja Ranjit Singh was the founder of the Sikh Empire, which came to power in the Indian subcontinent in the early half of the 19th century.
In September 2016, the Indian embassy in France will hold also an exhibition on the life of the king.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Hashim Thaci has sworn in as the President of Kosovo after he was elected by the parliament in March 2016.
He succeeds Atifete Jahjaga.
He becomes fourth President of Kosovo after the European country had unilaterally declared independence from Serbia in 2008.
He also served as Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister in the Government led by Isa Mustafa.
2. The National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) has appointed CP Gurnani as its Chairman for 2016-17 and Raman Roy as vice chairman for the period.
Currently, Gurnani is Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Tech Mahindra.
He is a chemical engineer from the National Institute of Technology, Rourkela.
3. Justice (retd) Permod Kohli appointed as the Chairman of Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT).
Kohli succeeded Justice Syed Rafat Alam and will be in the office for a period of 5 years or till attaining the age of 68 years, whichever is earlier.
He became Advocate General of Jammu & Kashmir in December 1990.
He is an expert in Constitutional, Civil and Taxation cases.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. Twenty-five Ministries and Departments of the Union Government on 31 March 2016 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on IMPacting Research INnovation and Technology (IMPRINT) initiative.
The MoU is aimed at avoiding duplication of efforts of various Ministries and Departments under the IMPRINT initiative.
It is multi-disciplinary, multi-partner and multi-goal oriented national programme aimed at technology development covering all engineering disciplines, steered by all IITs and IISc.
Science & Technology:
1. Researchers have developed the world’s smallest nanoscale diode or molecular rectifier that could impact the development of molecular electronic devices in future.
The breakthrough was achieved by the researchers from the University of Georgia and Ben-Gurion University of the Negev (BGU).
It has size of single molecule and facilitates electronic current flow in one direction.
2. The astronomers at National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) discovered a supermassive Black Hole which weighs about 17 billion times the mass of Sun.
It was discovered in the center of a galaxy in a sparsely populated area of the universe and it may indicate that these monster objects may be more common than once thought.
The newly discovered supersized black hole resides in the center of a massive elliptical galaxy, NGC 1600, located in a cosmic backwater, a small grouping of 20 or so galaxies.