Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. Karnataka Government has decided to go ahead with the establishment of Asia’s first Rice Technology Park at Gangavati in Koppal district.
Apart from this state government has decided to set upa Maize Technology Park at Ranebennur in Haveri district.
Both parks will be established on the public-private participation model as a one-stop solution to all problems of rice and maize growers.
2. The Gujarat Government has accorded minority status to the Jain community in the state.
State government has issued a government resolution (GR) giving minority status to the Jain community.
Jain institutions will also get special status like the one given to Christian and Muslim institutions as per Article 30 of Indian Constitution.
3. The single emergency number ‘112’ will be operational throughout India from January 1, 2017 to help people reach immediate services of police, ambulance and fire department.
Union Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad approved the provision of a single number for various emergency services.
The 211 emergency services will also be accessible even through those SIMs and landlines whose outgoing call facility has been stopped or temporarily suspended.
International – Across the Globe:
1. The United Nations has launched UN Zika Response Multi-Partner Trust Fund (MPTF) to finance critical unfunded priorities in the response to the Zika outbreak.
The fund was launched by the UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon at the UN Headquarters in New York, United States.
The Fund aims to provide a rapid, flexible and accountable platform to support a coordinated response from the UN system and partners.
It will directly support the Zika Strategic Response Framework developed by the World Health Organization (WHO) in consultation with UN agencies, partners and international epidemiological experts.
1. Two Indian women wrestlers Vinesh Phogat and Sakshi Malik have qualified for 2016 Rio Olympics scheduled to be held in August 2016.
Vinesh sealed her place for the Olympic berth after defeating Avin Demirhan of Turkey 12-2 in the 48 kg category in the semi-final match of the Olympic world qualifying tournament held at Istambul in Turkey.
Sakshi Malik also entered the final in the 58 kg category and qualified for Rio Olympics. In the Semi-final she defeated Len Jhang.
Awards & Recognition:
1. India is ranked ninth in 2015 Crony-Capitalism Index with crony sector wealth accounting for 3.4 per cent of the gross domestic product (GDP).
The index was based on new study by The Economist which had used data from a list of the world’s billionaires and their worth published by Forbes.
In this study each individual is labelled as crony or not based on the source of their wealth.
Top countries are Russia (1st), Malaysia (2nd), Philippines (3rd) and Singapore (4th).
Appointments & Resignations:
1. An Indian-origin lawyer Murali Pillai from Singapore’s ruling People’s Action Party (PAP) has been elected member of the parliament.
He got elected by garnering 61.21 per cent of the votes in the by-election held at suburban Bukit Batok constituency.
His opponent Chee Soon Juan from Singapore Democratic Party got 38.79 per cent of votes.
Mr Murali became the first PAP candidate to win a by-election in a single member constituency in more than three decades.
Science & Technology:
1. Scientists have detected atomic oxygen in the atmosphere of Mars for the first time since the last observation 40 years ago.
It was detected using an instrument onboard the Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy (SOFIA).
SOFIA is a Boeing 747SP jetliner modified to carry a 100-inch diameter telescope. It is a joint project of NASA and the German Aerospace Centre.
2. The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has unveiled the first global digital elevation (topographic model) of Mercury.
The model was unveiled by NASA’s MESSENGER ((MErcury Surface, Space ENvironment, GEochemistry, and Ranging) mission.
The MESSENGER mission shows stunning detail the topography across the entire innermost planet of our solar system.
The model was created using more than 100,000 images acquired by the MESSENGER mission.