Read Current Affairs of last month online, all summarized well into one digest GK Eduwrap. Also, covering all the latest questions of General Knowledge asked in General Awareness for Bank PO.
National – Across the India:
1. The Union Government has constituted the District Development Coordination and Monitoring Committee (DDCMC) for effective development and coordination of Central Government’s programme.
It will be known as DISHA that will monitor the implementation of 28 schemes and programmes of Union Ministry of Rural Development and other Ministries to promote synergy and convergence for greater impact.
2. The Union Railway Ministry has flagged off the maiden broad gage train service dubbed as ‘Tripura Sundari Express’ from Agartala (Tripura) to Delhi.
3. Prime Minister Narendra Modi flagged off the ‘Run for Rio’, an event to encourage the Indian contingent at the 2016 Rio Olympics beginning on August 5, 2016.
The 5km run was flagged off from Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium to the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in New Delhi.
4. The Union Government has capped the prices of 24 essential drugs used for treatment of cancer, HIV, bacterial infections, anxiety and cardiac conditions.
The Drug pricing regulator National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) has issued an order regarding this.
It revised ceiling prices of 24 scheduled formulations of schedule-I under Drugs (Price Control) Amendment Order, 2016.
5. The Supreme Court has held that former Chief Ministers are not entitled for government accommodation for lifetime.
The judgment of the apex court came on a plea filed by Uttar Pradesh-based NGO Lok Prahari which had sought a direction against allotment of government bungalows to former CMs.
6. India is going to host a crucial global summit in November to eliminate the illicit trade of tobacco products.
The summit is scheduled for November 7-12 at the Indian Exposition Mart in Noida. In this summit delegates from 180 countries will take part.
7. A high-level panel of the National Ganga River Basin Authority (NGRBA) has approved various projects worth approximately Rs 400 crore for development of ghats (river fronts) and crematoria at different places along the river Ganga from Uttarakhand to West Bengal under the Centre’s ambitious Namami Gange programme.
8. Rajasthan has become the first state in the country to approve sewage and waste water policy.
Under this policy, all district headquarters, heritage cities, and cities in the state which have more than one lakh population will be included.
9. The Tamil Nadu Assembly has passed an unanimous resolution that the Madras High Court be renamed as Tamil Nadu High Court and not as High Court of Chennai as proposed by the Centre.
10. West Bengal Cabinet cleared a proposal to rename the state as “Bengal” in English and “Bango” or “Bangla” in Bengali.
The other reason for changing the name of the state is that whenever there is any meeting of all states, West Bengal comes at the bottom of the list alphabetically.
11. World Economic Forum (WEF), will host its annual India Economic Summit on October 6-7 in New Delhi which would be attended by over 500 business and political leaders including top policymakers and CEOs.
12. The Parliament has approved the establishment of six new IITs across the country by passing the Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Bill, 2016 in the Rajya Sabha.
These IITs will be started in Palakkad (Kerala), Goa, Dharwad (Karnataka), Bhilai (Chhattisgarh), Jammu, and Tirupati (Andhra Pradesh).
13. Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan has inaugurated the three-day Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) exhibition in the Parliament premises in New Delhi.
It will showcase numerous state-of-the-art defence technologies, products, and systems developed by various DRDO laboratories indigenously.
14. The Gujarat high court has quashed 10 percent reservation quota for the economically backward classes (EBCs).
The Court has declared The Gujarat Unreserved Economically Weaker Sections (Reservation of Seats in Educational Institutions in the State and of Appointments and Posts in Services under the State) Ordinance, 2016 unconstitutional.
15. The Eastern Zonal Cultural Centre (EZCC), an autonomous organization under Government of India’s Ministry of Culture, has organized a 64-day-long theatre festival in Kolkata.
The festival- Kolkata Theatre Festival 2016- will showcase as many as 245 theatres of several groups at Bharatiyam Cultural Multiplex in Kolkata’s satellite town Salt Lake.
16. The Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley announced that the Government has set the ambitious target to roll out of the Goods and Services Tax, (GST) from 1st April 2017.
17. Centre has launched a nation-wide breastfeeding programme “MAA – Mother’s Absolute Affection”.
The aim is to enhance optimal breastfeeding practices in New Delhi.
18. Union Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu has launched Swachh Survekshan-2017 for 500 cities in the country.
The main objective of Swach Survekshan is not to point out shortcomings but to suggest ways to improve the state of cleanliness in the particular area.
19. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the new PMO app at a function organised by MyGov in New Delhi.
The app would correspond to the website of the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
20. Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Mission Bhagiratha with an objective to provide safe drinking water to all.
It is a water grid project that aims to provide safe drinking water to all even to remotest places in Telangana.
21. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has released a theme song for Tiranga Yatra to be organised to mark 70 years of Independence Day.
The theme song 70 Saal Azadi Yaad Karo Kurbani has been composed by Dr. Ghazal Srinivas.
22. Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Yaad Karo Kurbani (remember the sacrifices) celebrations at birthplace of freedom fighter Chandra Shekhar Azad at Alirajpur, Madhya Pradesh.
It is 15-day programme aimed to commemorate 75th anniversary of the Quit India Movement (QIM) and 70 years of Independence.
23. Maharashtra Government has launched Quit India 2 Swaraaj to Suraaj Movement against various social ills during commemoration of Platinum Jubilee anniversary of the Quit India Movement.
It was launched by Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis.
24. The Iron Lady of Manipur Irom Chanu Sharmila ended her 16-year-long hunger strike for repealing of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act (AFSPA) of 1958 from Manipur.
25. The Union Government has decided to set up Amitabh Kant Committee to look at easing the policy regime for e-commerce players, including the rules for foreign direct investment (FDI).
The committee will be headed by Amitabh Kant, CEO of NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog.
26. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CEEA) has given its approval for the development of Advanced Ultra Super Critical (AUSC) technology for thermal power plants.
27. Wipro Chairman Azim Premji and HCL co-founder Shiv Nadar are the only two billionaires from India in Forbes’ list of the world’s 100 richest people in technology.
The ‘100 Richest Tech Billionaires in the World 2016′ list has been topped by Microsoft founder Bill Gates with an estimated fortune of USD 78 billion.
Premji ranks 13th on the list with a net worth of $16 billion and Nadar comes in on the 17th spot with $11.6 billion of net worth.
28. Manohar Parikkar, Defence Minister inaugurated the week long “Bharat Parv”.
The programme is organized by the Government of India at the Rajpath Lawns, India Gate (New Delhi).
29. President Pranab Mukherjee has given his nod to set up six new Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) and passed a law regarding the same.
These IITs will be set in places like Jammu, Tirupati, Palakkad (Kerala), Goa, Dharward (Karnataka) and Bhilai (Chhattisgarh).
30. Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal has inaugurated city’s first Sewa Kendra at Ladhewali where people will be able to avail services under one roof.
A total of 2,147 Sewa Kendras has been constructed at a cost of Rs 500 crore.
31. Assam has become the first state to ratify the Goods and Services Tax Constitutional Amendment Bill.
The Centre seeks to roll-out the GST by April 1, 2017.
32. The government has an ambitious plan to lay 6,900 km of gas pipelines linking Bangladesh, Myanmar, most north-eastern states, and West Bengal.
Bangladesh Petroleum Corporation (BPC) and Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) signed an agreement in April this year to jointly set up a Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) terminal plant in Chittagong port city which will help pipe gas to the north-eastern states.
33. Union Ministers M Venkaiah Naidu and Water Resources Minister Uma Bharti has jointly launched ‘Smart Ganga City’ programme in 10 cities to improve drainage network there on hybrid annuity mode on public private partnership basis.
The cities are Haridwar, Rishikesh, Mathura, Varanasi, Kanpur, Allahabad, Lucknow, Patna, Sahibganj, and Barrackpore.
34. Union Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas Dharmendra Pradhan has launched the Pradhan Mantri UjjwalaYojana (PMUY) in West Bengal.
It is a scheme to provide clean cooking fuel to the women belonging to the ‘Below Poverty Line’ (BPL) households across the country.
35. PM Narendra Modi has announced 20% hike in pension of freedom fighters and museums would be established in different states from Red Fort on 70th Independence Day.
Those who are receiving Rs.25,000 will now get Rs.30,000.
36. The Odisha government has decided to make Aadhaar card mandatory for procurement of paddy in the state.
The government has also decided to link Aadhaar numbers of beneficiaries for availing ration under National Food Security Act (NFSA) and work under MGNREGA.
37. Jayalalithaa (Tamilnadu) has announced Rs 1,000 increase in the freedom fighters pension from Rs 11,000.
38. Odia language will be used as the official language in all government offices in Odisha from today onwards.
According to the amendment of the Orissa Official Language Act 1954, all government letters, files will be carried in Odia language.
39. The Bihar state assembly has unanimously passed the crucial Goods and Services Tax Bill (GST Bill).
With this, it has become the first non-Bharatiya Janata Party-ruled state to ratify the GST, Last week, Assam became the first state to ratify the Bill.
40. Hindustan Copper Limited (HCL) inaugurated the Nickel, Copper and Acid Recovery Plant of Hindustan Copper Limited at Indian Copper Complex, Ghatsila in Jharkhand.
41. The Union Government has allowed online authentication using Aadhar for new mobile connections.
The Department of Telecom (DoT) has issued guidelines for Aadhaar Electronic-Know Your Customer (e-KYC).
42. India has ranked 66th in the 2016 Global Innovation Index (GII).
India has jumped up by 15 spots from 81st position in 2015 GII.
The annual index was released by France-based international business school INSEAD and World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO), a specialized agency of the United Nations.
43. The Maharashtra Government became the first state in the country to launch India’s first comprehensive ‘Crime Criminal Tracking Network System’ (CCTNS) in Mumbai.
44. The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)-Kanpur has adopted five villages in Uttar Pradesh under the Namami Gange programme.
These five villages are Ramel Nagar, Khoyra Katree, Pratapur, Hari Hindpur, and Katri Ladhva Khera.
45. India ranks a low 39th in terms of fixed broadband adoption in the list of 53 Asia Pacific countries.
A report from ‘State of ICT in Asia and the Pacific 2016: Uncovering the Widening Broadband Divide’ has revealed the data.
46. The meeting of BRICS women parliamentarian’s forum has begun in Jaipur, Rajasthan.
BRICS is the grouping of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
The two-day meeting was inaugurated by Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan.
47. BRICS Women Parliamentarians forum has unanimously passed the Jaipur Declaration on the concluding day of the Forum’s meeting held in Jaipur.
The 19-point declaration was adopted at the two-day meeting of BRICS Women Parliamentarians forum held in Jaipur, Rajasthan.
48. Union Women and Child Development (WCD) Minister Maneka Gandhi inaugurated the state’s first animal birth control centre (ABC) at Kedarpuram.
The centre will take up birth control measures with stray dogs the population of which has been rising in the city and the state.
49. The monogrammed suit worn by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his meeting with American President Barack Obama last year, which created huge controversy, entered Guinness Book of World Records as ‘the most expensive suit sold’.
The suit was sold at an auction for Rs 4.31 crore
50. Maharashtra became the first state in the country to draft its own internal security legislation The Maharashtra Protection of Internal Security Act (MPISA), 2016.
The act gives special emphasis on maintaining law and order and combating terrorism, insurgency, caste-related violence, and communalism in the state.
51. The Union Cabinet approved a revised Double Tax Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with respect to Taxes on Income between India and Cyprus.
The revised DTAA provides for source-based taxation of capital gains on transfer of shares instead of one based on residence.
52. Ahmedabad, Gujarat is going to host 2016 Kabaddi World Cup between October 7 and 22, 2016.
The event will see the participation of 12 Kabaddi teams which are India, Canada, United States, United Kingdom, Iran, Australia, Poland, Pakistan, Bangladesh, South Korea, Japan and Kenya.
53. The two-day meeting of Ministers of Disaster Management (MDM) of BRICS countries concluded in Udaipur, Rajasthan with the adoption of the Udaipur Declaration.
This was the second meeting and in the follow-up of the first meeting of the BRICS MDM convened by the Russia in St. Petersburg in April 2016.
54. After Goa and Delhi, Telangana has become the third state to inaugurate south India’s first Children’s Court.
was inaugurated in Hyderabad.
This court is a child-friendly court and sixth in the country with features like separate waiting rooms for children and a video camera trial for the accused, mandated under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POSCO) Act-2012.
55. The Union Minister of State for Minority Affairs (Independent Charge) & Parliamentary Affairs Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi launched new Hindi website and updated and revamped English website of the Minority Affairs Ministry.
56. In a first-ever major overhaul, IITs across the country have blacklisted 30 companies, including 28 start-ups, for one year.
It means they can’t take part in forthcoming campus placements season.
57. The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development has launched Protection of Children from Sexual Offenses (POCSO) e-box, in New Delhi.
POCSO e-box is an online complaint management system for easy and direct reporting of sexual offences against children and timely action against offenders under POCSO Act, 2012.
58. The Union Finance Ministry has constituted 11 members high-level committee to suggest steps to promote card payments with an aim to discourage cash transactions.
The 11-member committee will be headed by Principle Adviser for social sector in NITI Aayog and former Finance Secretary Ratan P Watal.
59. Maharashtra Government has unveiled ambitious Mumbai-Nagpur Super Communication Expressway project in Mumbai.
The 46,000-crore rupee ambitious project will create state-of-the art road connectivity within a period of three years and give a fillip to investment in the state.
60. The 22nd edition of the Delhi Book Fair (DBF) began at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi.
The nine-day event will conclude on 4th of September 2016.
61. The Union Human Resource Ministry has formally launched Indian Institute of Techonogy (IIT) Dharwad in Karnataka.
It was launched by Union Human Resource Development Minister Prakash.
62. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the first phase of the 4 phases Saurastra Narmada Avataran Irrigation yojana (SAUNI) at Sanodara of Jamnagar district of Gujarat.
Under the project, nearly 10 dams and reservoirs of Rajkot, Jamnagar and Morbi will be filled up with the water of Narmada River.
63. The Madhukar Gupta, former Home Secretary Committee on border protection has submitted its report to the Home Minister Rajnath Singh.
65. Finance Ministry accepting Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu’s proposal to merge it with the General Budget.
As a result the 92-year-old practice of presenting a separate Rail Budget is set to come to an end from the next fiscal.
International – Across the Globe:
1. The severe tropical typhoon Nida (also known as Cariana in Philippines) made landfall near Dapeng Peninsula in China’s Guangdong Province.
Gale-force wind with up to 150 kilometers per hour speed and heavy rain followed the tropical typhoon.
2. Japan’s cabinet has approved an economic stimulus package worth 275 billion dollars in attempt kick-start the economy and boost growth of the world’s third-largest economy.
The Japanese government expects that this package will boost gross domestic product (GDP) by 1.3%.
3. A nine-member Kathakali dance troupe has performed first time in Egypt.
The Kathakali dance troupe was a part the 14th Summer Festival organized by Bibliotheca Alexandrina.
4. Kerala Tourism has rolled out a promotional campaign in Dubai targeting Arab travellers and showcasing the state’s backwaters and waterfalls on taxis plying in the bustling metropolis, with the onset of the outbound tourism season in the Middle East.
200 Kerala-branded taxis will ferry the message of ‘A Faraway Land Four Hours Away’ – with eye-catching visuals featuring hill stations, backwaters, waterfalls and also Ayurvedic therapies – through the streets of Dubai, the throbbing heart of the UAE.
5. Union Minister for Human Resource and Development Prakash Javadekar has inaugurated the transit campus of Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) in Jammu.
6. India has approached United States (US) and select European countries part of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) to crack terror fund trail details of the Al Rehmat Trust from Pakistan.
FATF is an inter‐governmental policy making body with ministerial mandate to establish international standards for combating money laundering and terrorist financing.
7. India has provided One million US Dollars grant to Zimbabwe in the wake of El Nino induced drought disaster.
Chief Secretary to the President and Cabinet Dr. Misheck Sibanda thanked for the quick response by India to an international appeal made by his country
8. The first South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Youth Parliamentarians Conference on `Peace and Harmony for Development’ was held in Islamabad, Pakistan.
It was to offer young Parliamentarians’ narrative as a prelude to the 19th SAARC Summit to be hosted by Pakistan in November 2016.
9. The world’s highest and longest glass-bottomed bridge was opened to visitors in central China.
The bridge connects two mountain cliffs known as the Avatar Mountains in Zhangjiajie, Hunan province.
10. India has pledged financial assistance worth 39.97 million Nepali Rupees for the construction of a new building and a hostel facility at a Sanskrit school in eastern Nepal.
11. Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani, jointly tele-inaugurated the restored Stor Palace in Kabul.
The Stor Palace is located in the Afghanistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs Campus in Kabul.
It will house the Afghanistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
12. President Pranab Mukherjee launched Akashvani Maitree (Moitree) Channel and its multimedia website in the Bengali language for listeners in West Bengal, Bangladesh, and the adjoining areas.
It is an initiative of Kolkata Akashvani Kendra that will provide a platform for blending content both from India and Bangladesh and preserving Bengali culture.
13. The United States Postal Service (USPS) announced to commemorate the joyous Hindu festival of Diwali with the launch of Forever stamp.
The first-day-of-issue dedication ceremony of the Forever Stamp will take place at the Consulate General of India, New York on 5 October 2016.
14. Forbes released the list of The World’s Highest-Paid Actresses 2016.
Indian actress Deepika Padukone is the only Indian star to make the cut.
Jennifer Lawrence topped the Forbes magazine list for the second straight year with earnings of 46 million US dollars.
15. United States is going to create world’s largest protected marine reserve area named as Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument off the Hawaiian coast.
It will be created by expansion of present national monument off Hawaii.
16. Pakistan is going to host the 19th SAARC Summit in Islamabad and Murree on November 9 and 10, 2016.
It will be the meeting of the head of states or head of government of the eight SAARC countries.
17. The 2016 World Risk Index (WRI) has been released.
India has been ranked 77th among the 171 countries.
The index was released as part of the World Risk Report 2016 released by the United Nations University Institute for Environment (UNUIE) and Human Security (UNU-EHS) and Bundnis Entwicklung Hilft in cooperation with the University of Stuttgart in Germany.
1. India is going to host 2016 Kabaddi World Cup scheduled to be held in October 2016. It was announced by the International Kabaddi Federation (IKF).
In this edition of World Cup 12 international teams are going to participate.
They are US, India, UK, Australia, Canada, Poland, Iran, Pakistan, Bangladesh, South Korea, Japan and Kenya.
2. Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton from Great Britain has won the 2016 German Grand Prix title of Formula One.
Rankings after 2016 German Grand Prix:
1st position: Lewis Hamilton (Britain) of Mercedes
2nd position: Daniel Ricardo (Australia) of Red Bull
3rd position: Max Verstappen (Netherlands) of Red Bull
4th position: Nico Rosberg (Germany) of Mercedes
5th position: Sebastian Vettel (Germany) of Ferrari
7th position: Nico Hulkenberg (Germany) of Force India
10th position: Sergio Perez (Mexico) of Force India
Top Teams: Mercedes, Red Bull, Ferrari and Force India
3. The Patna Pirates have won the fourth edition of STAR Sports-ProKabaddi League by defeating Jaipur Pink Panthers.
With this win Patna Pirates has become first team to defend its title which they won in the third season in March 2016.
4. Novak Djokovic (Serbia) has won the 2016 ATP Toronto Masters also known as the Rogers club title in the men’s single category.
He defeated Kei Nishikori (World no 6) of Japan by 6-3, 7-5 score.
Women’s singles title: Simona Halep (World no 5) of Romania
Men’s doubles title: Ivan Dodig (Croatia) and Marcelo Melo (Brazil)
Women’s doubles title: Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina
5. The National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) has given clean chit to wrestler Narsingh Yadav in the doping case.
vWith this he can participate in 2016 Rio Olympics.
6. Sports Minister Vijay Goel inaugurated ‘Wall of Wishes’ at India Gate Lawns in New Delhi.
The Wall of Wishes was launched in presence of Olympian Boxer M C Mary Kom to celebrate the Olympic mood in the country.
Rio Olympics is scheduled to be held from 5 August to 21 August 2016.
7. India women’s team all-rounder Harmanpreet Kaur created history by becoming the first player from the country to get a contract from an overseas Twenty20 franchise.
8. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has agreed to add Baseball-Softball, Karate, Skateboard, Climbing Sports and surfing in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
The inclusion of the new sports will add 18 events.
9. The 31st Summer Olympic Games has opened in the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro, with a vibrant opening ceremony at the Maracana Stadium.
The theme of Rio De Janerio Olympic is world peace and environment.
This time in Rio more than 11,000 athletes from 209 countries are all set to compete, including India, and a refugee Olympic team.
10. Indian Olympic Association (IOA) has announced a cash award for medal winning athletes in RIO Olympics.
50 lakh rupees for the gold medal winning athlete.
30 lakh rupees for the silver medal winning athlete.
20 lakh rupees for the bronze medal winning athlete
11. Gymnast Dipa Karmakar became the first Indian gymnast to qualify for the apparatus finals of artistic Gymnastics at the Rio 2016 Olympics.
She qualified after finishing eighth on the standings in the final round in the Individual vault final of artistic gymnastics.
12. ITC’s leading health & hygiene brand, Savlon, has announced the name of ace shuttler- Saina Nehwal as its brand ambassador.
13. Michael Phelps won his fourth consecutive 200m individual medley Olympic title.
He became the first swimmer to win four consecutive golds in the same event.
14. Simone Manuel anchored the U.S. women’s 4×100 metres medley relay team to the 1,000th gold medal in her country’s summer Olympic history and the second of her career.
Australia won the silver, with Cate Campbell touching out just 0.01 ahead of bronze medallists Denmark.
15. India squash queen Dipika Pallikal won the Australian Open squash title by beating Mayar Hany of Egypt by 0-12, 11-5, 11-6, 11-4.
16. Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt has won gold in the 100-metre final in Rio Olympics.
With this win, Bolt became the first man to win the event 3 times at consecutive Olympic Games.
17. India’s ace shuttler Pusarla Venkata Sindhu won the silver medal in women’s singles badminton event at 2016 Rio Olympics.
Sindhu now became the first Indian woman to win the silver medal in Olympics and also the fifth woman player from India to win a medal in Olympics.
18. Freestyle wrestler Sakshi Malik won India’s first medal at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games by clinching the bronze in the 58kg category.
She created history by becoming the first Indian woman wrestler to win an Olympic medal.
19. Jamaican Sprinter Usain Bolt created an unprecedented record of a triple treble by winning third Gold medal in Rio Olympics 2016.
He achieved this feat after Jamaica won gold medal in 4x100m relay final at the Rio Olympics.
He is now the first athlete to win 9 gold medals in sprinting events of Olympics.
20. Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg (Germany) has won the 2016 Belgian Grand Prix of Formula One.
It was Rosberg’s overall tenth championship title of F1 in his career and the sixth win in the 2016 season.
He had also won Australian Grand Prix, Bahrain Grand Prix, Chinese Grand Prix and Russian Grand Prix.
21. The 31st Summer Olympics (or 2016 Rio Olympics) hosted by Brazilian City, Rio de Janeiro ended on 21st August 2016 after 16 days of sporting spectacle.
The games had seen participations of nearly 11,000 participants from 205 countries, including a first-ever refugee team featuring in 306 events of 42 sporting disciplines.
The United States ended the Games at the top of the medals tally with 46 Gold, 37 Silver and 38 Bronze.
22. Cristiano Ronaldo has been voted UEFA’s 2015-16 Best Player in Europe ahead of Real Madrid team mate Gareth Bale and Atletico Madrid’s Antoine Griezmann.
Ronaldo scored 51 goals in 48 games in all competitions for Real who won the Champions League and finished runners-up to Barcelona in La Liga.
23. Indian wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt may be in for a pleasant surprise.
The bronze medal that he won in the 2012 London Olympics is set to be upgraded to silver.
The unexpected upgrade has been triggered by a positive dope test of the silver winner in the 60-kg freestyle event in London – Russia’s Besik Kudukhov.
24. England blasted a world record one-day international total of 444 for three on the way to a series-clinching victory over Pakistan.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Skydiver Luke Aikins from United States created history by becoming the first person in the world to jump from 25,000 feet (mid-tropospheric altitude) without a parachute and landing safely in a net.
With this he also set a personal and world record for the highest jump without a parachute or wing suit.
2. West Bengal has been selected for the All India Coordinated Rice Improvement Project Award 2015.
This will be the first time the state will be receiving this award.
The state was selected for this award by the 51st committee from the Indira Gandhi Krishi Bikash Kendra for its achievement in the four key areas that include scientific research for seeds.
3. Translator and artist Anita Gopalan was awarded the 2016 PEN/Heim Translation Fund Grants for her English translation of Hindi novel Simsim written by Geet Chaturvedi.
She is the second Indian translator to be selected for the grant.
4. The advisory committee of the Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award has decided that the 23rd Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award will be given to Shubha Mudgal.
She will be honoured for her outstanding contribution towards the promotion of communal harmony, peace and goodwill.
6. Renowned carnatic vocalist M. S. Subbulakshmi will be honoured at the United Nations on 15 August 2016, India’s 70th Independence Day, by a performance by A.R. Rahman at the United Nations General Assembly.
With this, A. R. Rahman will become the second Indian artist after Subbulakshmi to perform at the UN.
7. Bollywood star actors Sonam Kapoor and Nawazuddin Siddiqui bagged the best actress and best actor awards at the Indian Film Festival (IFF) of Melbourne 2016.
Award winners are:
- Best Actor (Male) – Nawazuddin Siddiqui for Raman Raghav
- Best Actor (Female) – Sonam Kapoor for Neerja
- Best Film Award – Kapoor & Sons
- Best Indie Film – Thithi
- Best Director – Shakun Batra
- Indian Film Festival Excellence in Cinema Award(lifetime achievement award) – Rishi Kapoor.
8. Indian Institute of Science (IISc) has bagged the 5 Medals for Young Scientists award 2016.
The winners are Prabeer Barpanda, Sai Siva Gorthi, Praveen Kumar, Anshu Pandey and Chandan Saha.
9. P Shanmugam, the Principal Scientist of Central Leather Research Institute (CLRI) has bagged the Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Award for meritorious services in the Higher Education Department of Tamil Nadu.
Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu Jayalalithaa has presented the award comprising a certificate, Rs. 5 lakh cheque and 8-gram Gold medal.
10. Prominent film actor Kamal Haasan has been selected by France for its prestigious Chevalier de L’Ordre Arts et Lettres.
It is also known as Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters.
He has been chosen for this prestigious award recognition of his high level artistic excellence and distinguished career achievements.
11. Hindi scholar and writer Sunita Jain was conferred with the prestigious 25th Vyas Samman 2015.
She was presented with the award by West Bengal Governor K N Tripathi for her poetry collection Kshama (published in 2008).
12. The Union Government announced National Sports Awards 2016 to recognize and reward excellence in sports in India.
2016 Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award: PV Sindhu (Badminton), Sakshi Malik (Wrestling), Dipa Karmakar (Gymnastics) and Jitu Rai (Shooting).
2016 Dronacharya Award: Nagapuri Ramesh (Athletics),Sagar Mal Dhayal (Boxing), Raj Kumar Sharma (Cricket),Bishweshwar Nandi (Gymnastics), S. Pradeep Kumar (Swimming) and Mahabir Singh (Wrestling).
2016 Arjuna Award: Rajat Chauhan (Archery), Lalita Babar (Athletics),Sourav Kothari (Billiards & Snooker), Shiva Thapa (Boxing),Ajinkya Rahane (Cricket), Subrata Paul (Football), Rani (Hockey),Raghunath V.R. (Hockey), Gurpreet Singh (Shooting), Apurvi Chandela (Shooting), Soumyajit Ghosh (Table Tennis),Vinesh (Wrestling), Amit Kumar (Wrestling), Sandeep Singh Mann (Para-Athletics) and Virender Singh (Wrestling).
2016 Dhyan Chand Award: Satti Geetha (Athletics), Sylvanus Dung Dung (Hockey) and Rajendra Pralhad Shelke (Rowing).
2015-16 Maulana Abul Kalam Azad (MAKA) Trophy: Punjabi University, Patiala.
13. President of Indian Olympic Association (IOA) N. Ramachandran was awarded the Olympic Order for his outstanding services to the Olympic movement.
The award was formally bestowed upon him by the President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Thomas Bach.
5. The GPS-enabled mobile app of the Telangana Aarogyasri Healthcare Trust bagged this year’s Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI)’s healthcare excellence award.
It is the IInd award for the app having secured the ‘Elite Smart Healthcare Conclave’ for being the most important mobile app in the nation.
6. Eminent poet and novelist from Jammu Padma Sachdev chosen for the prestigious Saraswati Samman for the year 2015 for her autobiography “Chitt-Chete“ (in Dogri language).
The award was established by KK Birla Foundation in 1991 and Harivansh Rai Bachchan was the first recipient.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. India’s leading public sector bank, Bank of Baroda has tied up with a financial technology start-up Fisdom for personal wealth management services.
Fisdom app helps users make financial investments in an easy and paperless manner by blending cutting-edge technology with personalised financial advice.
It helps people manage their money with the help of a robo-advisor
2. India’s digital payments platform Freecharge has partnered with the leading payment gateway solution provider, PayUbiz.
It will further strengthen its merchant base and help consumers move from cash to digital payments.
3. Tech giant Intel recently acquired California-based deep learning startup Nervana Systems, allowing the chip maker to foray into the world of Artificial Intelligence (AI).
Nervana Systems is run by an Indian-origin entrepreneur.
4. Microsoft has acquired Beam, launched in January this year.
The move will support Microsoft’s growth strategy around Xbox Live, one of the world’s most popular social gaming platform.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Justice Iqbal Ahmed Ansari has been sworn-in as the 39th Chief Justice of Patna High Court.
He had joined the Patna High Court in November 2013. Earlier he had twice worked as Acting Chief Justice of Patna High Court since December 2014.
2. Senior Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officer Rani Singh Nair has been appointed as Chairperson (Chairman) of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
She was working as member (Legislation and Computerization) at CBDT.
3. Technocrat Anant Maheshwari was appointed as the President of Microsoft India, a subsidiary of US based software giant Microsoft Inc.
He will succeed Bhaskar Pramanik who retires in March 2017.
Bhaskar Khulbe, a Senior IAS officer of 1983 batch of West Bengal cadre has been appointed as Secretary to Prime Minister Narendra Modi. He was Additional Secretary in Prime Minister’s Office.
4. Maoist Party Chief Pushpa Kamal Dahal, also known as Prachanda, has been elected as the new Prime Minister of Nepal.
He will be heading a coalition government comprising Nepali Congress, the largest party in parliament.
5. The Kerala cabinet has decided to appoint veteran CPI-M leader V.S Achuthanandan as the chairman of the Kerala Administrative Reforms Commission with cabinet rank.
6. The founder and chairperson of the Reliance Foundation Nita Ambani became the first Indian woman member of International Olympic Committee after being elected at the 129th IOC Session in Rio.
She is the only individual member from India and her appointment at the world body is until she attains the age of 70.
7. D. K. Gayen has assumed charge of new General Manager of East Central Railway (ECR) with headquarters at Hajipur in Bihar.
He was earlier holding additional charge of ECR.
He also worked as Chief Mechanical Engineer of South Eastern Railway at Kolkata.
8. Sudhanshu Mani has been appointed as General Manager, Integral Coach Factory.
He also worked as Chief Mechanical Engineer, Rail Wheel Factory, Yelahanka Bengaluru.
9. German luxury car maker Mercedes-Benz India Limited (MBIL) has announced the appointment of Michael Jopp as vice-president.
Jopp will succeed Boris Fitz.
10. BJP leader Vijay Rupani has sworn-in as the Chief Minister of Gujarat at the Mahatma Mandir in Gandhinagar.
He was administered the oath of office and secrecy by the Governor OP Kohli.
11. Former Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India Vinod Rai has stepped down from private sector lender IDFC Bank’s board.
12. KK Khurana, General Manager in-charge, has taken over as Head of BHEL Corporate R&D with effect from August 4, 2016.
13. Dinesh Kumar Khara was appointed Managing Director (MD) of State Bank of India (SBI), India’s largest lender.
He also worked as MD and chief executive of SBI Funds Management Pvt. Ltd.
14. K. M. Hanumantharayappa has assumed charge as the new Chairman of Central Silk Board (CSB), for a period of three years.
He is the 25th Chairman of the Central Silk Board.
He will succeed N. S. Bissegowda.
15. Power plant equipment manufacturer, Bharat Heavy Electricals limited (BHEL) has appointed Akhil Joshi as the Director (Power).
He also served as the Executive director (ED) human resource at BHEL
16. IFS officer Birender Singh Yadav has been appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to the West Africa’s Republic of Ghana.
He will succeed K. Jeeva Sagar in Ghana.
He is currently working as Joint Secretary in the Ministry.
17. Urjit Patel has been appointed as new Governor of Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
He will be 24th Governor of RBI He will have tenure of three years and shall succeed Raghuram Rajan.
Prior to this appointment (elevation) he was Deputy Governor of RBI.
18. Indian government’s Tourism Ministry has decided that instead of getting a brand ambassador for the Incredible India campaign, it will make Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the face of the campaign.
His face will be used for the advertisements and promotional films. Even Gujarat Tourism’s prosperity will also be mentioned.
19. Amul Managing Director, R S Sodhi has been appointed as independent director on the board of India Post Payment Banks (IPPB) – the payments bank arm of postal department.
20. VP Singh Badnore has sworn in as the new Governor of Punjab and also as Administrator of Chandigarh.
He succeeds Kaptan Singh Solanki, who is the Governor of Haryana and was holding additional charge of Punjab Governor and Administrator of Chandigarh since January 2015.
21. Shri Yogeshwar Sangwan, Ambassador of India to the Republic of Armenia, has been concurrently accredited as the Ambassador of India to Georgia, with residence in Yerevan (Armenia).
22. Dr. Najma Heptulla was sworn-in as the 18th Governor of Manipur.
She replaced Shanmuganathan who was holding the dual charge of Governor of Meghalaya and Manipur.
23. Justice Manjula Chellur has sworn in as the new Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court.
She succeeded CJ Dhirendra Hiralal Waghela who has retired.
24. Wrestler Sakshi Malik was named as Haryana’s brand ambassador for Beti Bachao, Beti Padao campaign in Haryana.
She had won the bronze medal in wrestling at 2016 Rio Olympics in the 58 kg category and created history by becoming the first women from India to win Olympics medal in wrestling.
25. Indian multi-national conglomerate Larsen & Toubro’s group named S N Subrahmanyan as the Managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO) of India’s largest infrastructure engineering company from October first.
The appointment of Subrahmanyan had then come with the then chief executive and managing director KV Venkataramanan retiring.
25. Mukesh Mehta was appointed as the President of India Bullion and Jewellers Association (IBJA).
He is also a Director on the Board of IBJA.
26. Tata Sons, the holding company of the Tata Group of companies, has appointed private equity firm Bain Capital’s Managing Director Amit Chandra as non-executive director.
The appointments increases the total number of the company’s board members to nine.
27. Central Reserve Police Force India (CRPF) has decided to appoint Olympic silver medallist Pusarla Venkata Sindhu as its brand ambassador and bestow the honorary rank of Commandant.
Few year back, Border Security Force (BSF) had appointed cricketer Virat Kohli as its brand ambassador.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Raghuram Rajan has launched ’Sachet- www.sachet.rbi.org.in’.
It’s a web portal to curb illegal collection of deposits from which the members of the public would be able to obtain information regarding entities that are allowed to accept deposits, lodge complaints and also share information regarding illegal acceptance of deposits by unscrupulous entities.
2. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has set up a committee to look at the various facets of household finance in India and to benchmark India’s position vis-à-vis both the peer countries and advanced countries.
3. The Union Government has set an inflation target of 4 % for the next five years with a range of plus/minus 2 % for the next five years.
The target was set under the monetary policy framework agreement with the Reserve Bank.
4. Reserve Bank of India has imposed the penalty on two cooperative banks of Chhattisgarh under the Banking Regulation Act.
The Zila Sahakari Kendriya Bank Maryadit, Raipur, and Raipur Urban Mercantile Cooperative Bank Limited are the two on which RBI imposed the penalty of five lakh rupees each.
5. Mangalore-based mid-sized public sector bank, Corporation Bank has launched ‘group credit life insurance scheme’ of LIC of India in Mangaluru.
It has been launched by the Jai Kumar Garg, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Corporation Bank.
6. The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) told the Supreme Court that banned Ponzi schemes do not fall under its regulatory purview.
This announcement was made after the apex court had asked government and SEBI, the stock market regulator about measures undertaken by them to check the menace of ponzi schemes.
7. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in its third bi-monthly monetary policy review for year 2016-17 has maintained status quo in key policy interest rate.
Repo Rate: 6.50%
Reverse Repo Rate: 6%
8. The Union Government has announced that the Non-Performing Assets (NPA) of commercial banks have increased by around 4% in the last one year (March 2015 to March 2016).
The NPA of banks was 5.43 percent in March 2015 which has risen to 9.32 percent in March 2016.
9. Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has launched a data bank Portal of micro, small and medium enterprises, MSME in New Delhi.
The portal aims to gather information about micro, small and medium enterprises.
10. The private sector lender Kotak Mahindra Bank (KMB) has announced the availability of Flipkart’s mobile site in its mobile banking app to gives the customer a secure in-app shopping environment.
KMB has been expanding the scope of offerings on its mobile banking app, and this move further strengthens its mStore which already allows booking of air tickets, hotels, and bus tickets.
11. The Reserve Bank will transfer to the central government its surplus profit of Rs 65,876 crore which is marginally lower than the amount given last year.
The surplus is generated through RBI’s investment activities, primarily in other sovereign bonds like that of the US T-bills, which is its single largest investment source
12. NABARD has sanctioned Rs 26.06 crore to the Punjab government.
It will allow the customers to shop smoothly and even check out faster as billing and delivery details which are already available with the bank will not be needed to be entered again.
13. The State Bank of India’s (SBI’s) board of directors has approved the merger of its five associate banks and Bharatiya Mahila Bank (BMB) with itself.
These five subsidiaries are State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur, State Bank of Hyderabad, State Bank of Mysore, State Bank of Travancore and Bharatiya Mahila Bank.
14. Private sector lender Kotak Mahindra Bank has started an ‘Innovation Lab’ in Bengaluru to tap into the best technology that impacts its operations and is open to investing in startups.
It will help in startups, starting incubation centres, organising ‘hackathons’ and ideation contests.
15. National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) ties up with Union Bank of India to launch a USSD based *99# mobile application for their customers.
16. Insurance watchdog, IRDAI has imposed Rs 35 lakh fine on Bharti AXA General Insurance Co Ltd for violation of various norms including outsourcing activities and corporate governance guidelines.
17. The retail segment of National Pension Scheme (NPS) has grown by over 100% over the past one year.
The new provision to provide tax benefits up to 40% of maturity of investment has drawn a lot of retail investors to the NPS schemes.
18. South Indian Bank, leading private sector bank, and SBI Card, one of India’s leading Credit Card issuers, announced the launch of co-branded credit cards for the customers of South Indian Bank.
Through this alliance South Indian Bank and SBI Card will launch two variants of a credit card on VISA platform, namely South Indian Bank Platinum SBI Card and South Indian Bank SimplySAVE SBI Card.
19. The India Post Payments Bank Limited (IPPBL) has received the Certificate of Incorporation from the Registrar of Companies, Ministry of Corporate Affairs under the Companies Act 2013.
IPPBL would be the first PSU under the Department of Posts (DoP).
20. A travel insurance cover of up to Rs 10 lakh can be availed while booking train ticket online by paying less than one rupee from August 31.
The new facility will be available to all passengers excluding those travelling on suburban trains while booking online irrespective of the class.
21. Private sector lender Yes bank has launched its own digital wallet Yes Pay for Android and iOS mobile platforms.
The wallet application can be accessed through social media accounts of Facebook.
22. The RBI, in its Annual Report, has projected India’s growth rate at 7.6% in 2016- 17, up from 7.2% last year.
The Reserve Bank of India is India’s central banking institution, which controls the monetary policy of the Indian rupee.
23. NABARD has sanctioned a loan of Rs 204.67 crore under Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF) for rural infrastructure in Haryana.
24. Public sector Canara Bank has launched a Unified Payment Interface (UPI) app named “empower”.
The mobile app works on NPCI (National Payments Corporation of India) platform and enables bank customers pay and collect using this single app, the bank said.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. The Parliament has passed Indian Medical Council (Amendment) Bill, 2016 to conduct of uniform entrance examination for admission to all medical educational institutions.
The bill will replace the Indian Medical Council (Amendment) Ordinance, 2016 and its provisions will come in to force retrospectively from May 24, 2016
2. The Parliament has passed the National Institutes of Technology, Science Education and Research (Amendment) Bill, 2016.
The Bill seeks to establish the National Institute of Technology (NIT), Andhra Pradesh as an institute of national importance.
3. The Parliament has passed the Benami Transactions (Prohibition) Amendment Bill after it was unanimously approved by Rajya Sabha.
The comprehensive amendment bill seeks to amend and strengthen Benami Transaction (Prohibition) Act, 1988 in terms of legal and administrative procedure to curb domestic black money.
4. The Parliament has passed the Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Bill, 2016 to set up six new Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs).
The Bill seeks to amend the Institutes of Technology Act, 1961 to add six new IITs as institutions of national importance.
5. Marking an end to the long and tumultuous debate on GST, the Rajya Sabha today approved the crucial 122nd Constitutional amendment to turn the bill into law.
The bill will now go back to the Lower House to incorporate the amendments approved by the Rajya Sabha.
The bill will also have to be approved by 50 per cent of all the state assemblies.
6. Marking an end to the long and tumultuous debate on GST, the Rajya Sabha today approved the crucial 122nd Constitutional amendment to turn the bill into law.
The bill will now go back to the Lower House to incorporate the amendments approved by the Rajya Sabha.
The bill will also have to be approved by 50 per cent of all the state assemblies.
7. The Rajya Sabha has passed the Mental Health Care Bill to provide better healthcare for people suffering from mental illness and also to decriminalize suicide.
The Bill provides, every person has right to access mental health care and treatment from services run or funded by the government.
8. The Parliament passed The Constitution (122nd Amendment) (GST) Bill, 2014 after it was unanimously passed by the Lok Sabha by approved all the amendments made by Rajya Sabha.
9. The Lok Sabha has unanimously passed the Employee’s Compensation (Amendment) Bill, 2016 to reduce litigation in cases of disputes arising over compensation to workers.
The Bill seeks to amend the Employee’s Compensation Act, 1923.
10. Parliament has passed Enforcement of Security Interest and Recovery of Debts Laws Amendment Bill, 2016.
The Bill amends four laws:
Securitisation and Reconstruction of Financial Assets and Enforcement of Security Interest (SARFAESI) Act, 2002
Recovery of Debts due to Banks and Financial Institutions Act (RDDBFI), 1993
Depositories Act, 1996
Indian Stamp Act, 1899
11. The Union Cabinet has given its approval for introduction of the Surrogacy (Regulation) Bill, 2016 to ban commercial surrogacy in the country.
It will ensure effective regulation of surrogacy, prohibit commercial surrogacy and allow ethical surrogacy to the needy infertile couples.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. IBM in partnership with Apple has launched a new global development hub at Manyata Tech Park, Bengaluru.
The hub mainly aims to help the clients in India complete digital mobility process platform.
2. Telangana Irrigation Department has signed a memorandum of understanding with the Indian Space Research Organisation.
The MoU was for setting up a Telangana Water Resources Information System (TWRIS) on the ‘Bhuvan’ web portal.
3. The Ministry of Railways has signed an agreement with the Chhattisgarh government for the formation of a joint venture (JV) company for focused resource mobilisation, implementation and monitoring of critical rail projects.
4. The NITI Aayog has inked a pact with US Energy Information Administration (EIA) in a step to set up a portal to host all the data related to energy sector in the country.
The web portal will host all the data related to energy sector including oil and gas, coal, solar and thermal energy etc.
5. The Union Cabinet has given its ex-post facto approval for a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and South Africa for cooperation in the field of Tourism.
6. The Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) has signed a MoU with Defence Food Research Laboratory of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
The MoU is signed for Transferring of Technology of Retort Pouch Processed Foods so that ready-to-eat food can be warmed and eaten straight out of the packet.
7. Fifth Generation Technologies, a multi-national research, and innovation company with specialization in building “real-time intelligence” solutions and products to the manufacturing industry has entered into an agreement with Anna University, Chennai.
The MoU is for conducting research to arrive at a useful prediction of the remaining life of critical equipment that is working in high-temperature environments.
8. India and Bangladesh have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Route Permit for carrying Petroleum Goods to Tripura via Bangladesh.
The MoU was signed between Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL) and the Roads and Highways Department of Bangladesh in Dhaka.
9. Maharashtra Government has signed an MoU with the Union Civil Aviation Ministry and Airports Authority of India (AAI) to develop 10 airports as part of the Centre’s Regional Connectivity Scheme.
10. India and Germany have signed an agreement on vocational training.
It aims to foster conditions to create and improve workplace-based vocational training in India’s industrial clusters.
11. Maharashtra and Telangana have signed an MoU for three irrigation projects to be constructed on Godavari, Pranahita and Painganga rivers.
Under the agreement, the two States would take up Tummidi Hatti, Medigadda and Chanaka-Korata irrigation projects on Godavari River and its tributaries.
12. The Union Cabinet has given its approval for the signing of an MoU between India and Myanmar in the field of Traditional Systems of Medicine.
The MoU will provide structured framework for the promotion of AYUSH/Traditional Systems of Medicine in Myanmar.
13. The Union Cabinet has given its approval for signing of new Air Services Agreement (ASA) between India and Fiji.
It will update the existing ASA between the two countries which was signed in January 1974.
14. An MoU between India and South Africa to establish cooperation in Grassroots Innovation.
The MoU was signed in pursuance to the Inter-Government Agreement between two countries for cooperation in Science & Technology in July 2016 at Pretoria, South Africa.
15. India and Myanmar signed four MoU to enhance cooperation and bilateral relations between the two countries.MoU on cooperation in the construction of 69 Bridges.
The agreements signed are:
- MoU on cooperation in the construction of 69 Bridges.
- MoU on cooperation in the construction / up gradation of the Kalewa – Yagyi Road Section.
- MoU on cooperation in the Field of Renewable Energy.
- MoU on cooperation in the field of Traditional Systems of Medicine.
Science & Technology:
1. ISRO chairman A S Kiran Kumar has inaugurated a ‘C Band Polarimetric Doppler Weather Radar’ at the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), Thiruvananthapuram.
This Doppler weather radar can provide advance information about storms, cyclones, and other severe weather conditions.
2. Chief Minister of Maharastra Government Mr. Devendra Fadnavis has stated that Maharashtra government will provide as many as 1,200 wi-fi hotspots in the megapolis as a part of transforming Mumbai into a Smart City.
3. China has successfully launched the first Tiantong satellite for mobile telecommunication at southwestern China’s Xichang Satellite Launch Center, with the Long March-3B carrier rocket.
It is the first satellite of China’s home-made satellite mobile telecom system and a key part of the country’s space information infrastructure.
4. Researchers in India for the first time have found that mice and rats exposed to endosulphan suffer from DNA damage and genomic instability, and impaired DNA damage response.
This breakthrough discovery was discovered team of researchers led by Prof. Sathees Raghavan from the Bengaluru based IISc (Department of Biochemistry).
5. China has successfully launched a new high-resolution Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) dubbed as Gaofen-3.
It was launched from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in northern Shanxi Province on the back of a Long March 4C rocket.
It was 233rd flight mission by a Long March carrier rocket.
6. Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Russian President Vladimir Putin dedicated the first unit of the ambitious Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KKNPP) in Tamil Nadu to the nation.
It has India’s single largest nuclear generation unit with the capacity of 1000 megawatt (MW).
7. China has successfully launched the world’s first quantum satellite.
It establishes hack-proof communications between space and the ground.
The satellite nicknamed “Micius” was launched from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre.
8. Researchers from the Central Salt & Marine Chemicals Research Institute (CSMCRI), Bhavanagar (Gujarat) have developed photocatalyst that can completely degrade three industrial dyes in the presence of sunlight.
This photocatalyst is able to completely degrade three industrial dyes — methyl orange, methylene blue, and reactive black-5.
9. The Union Ministry of Mines has launched a web portal for Star Rating of Major Mineral Mines with an aim to promote sustainable mining.
The online portal was developed by IBM (Indian Bureau of Mining) through NISG (National Institute of Smart Government), Hyderabad.
10. The world’s largest (longest) aircraft the Airlander 10 has embarked its maiden flight at an airfield in Cardington in central England.
It is a hybrid airship made by Hybrid Air Vehicles in the United Kingdom.
11. Chinese scientists have discovered a small molecule (new drug) named XMU-MP-1 that can regenerate tissue.
It has potential to eliminate transplants of some organs.
It was discovered by team of researchers from Xiamen University and Peking University of China.
12. Tech giant Intel has unveiled Project Alloy, a device that creates merged reality.
Project Alloy is a headset that uses the RealSense technology to enable people to use their hands to interact with elements of the virtual world without using cables to connect computer.
13. Scientists have discovered a new species of eel, a snake-like fish, from the northern Bay of Bengal along the West Bengal coast.
The species Gymnothorax indicus is slender-bodied and about one feet-long.
The eel was studied by the scientists at Sankarpur fishing harbour in West Bengal’s Purba Medinipur district.
14. China began operating its indigenously designed bullet trains which can clock 350 kmph speed.
The China Railway Corporation announced that Train No G8041 departed from Dalian for Shenyang, the capital of northeast China’s Liaoning.
15. Myanmar has officially announced to support for China’s ambitious One Belt and One Road (OBOR) connectivity initiative along the ancient Silk Road.
It was announced in the joint statement released by both countries during official state visit of Myanmar’s State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi to China.
16. The Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) has voiced its concern over alleged excesses of the Indian military and the paramilitary forces in Kashmir.
17. The world’s first self-driving taxi service was launched in Singapore.
This launch is significant as it offers technology demonstration that could revolutionize the future transport industry.
The Singapore government had given its approval nuTonomy to conduct the self-driving taxi trial for the public.
18. For the first time, researchers have decoded and predicted the brain activity patterns of word meanings within sentences.
The brain activity patterns were predicted using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to measure human brain activation.
19. The Union Government has launched Accessible E-Library ‘Sugamya Pustakalaya’ for Divyang under Prime Minister’s Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan.
It is an online library for Divyang and houses publications across diverse subjects and languages and multiple accessible formats.
20. Scientists for the first time have developed LASER from fluorescent jellyfish proteins that were grown in bacteria.
21. The National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources (NBAGR) has identified and registered nine new breeds of indigenous farm (livestock and poultry) animals.
These new indigenous breeds were registered based on scientifically produced evidence.
22. Scientists in Japan studying earthquakes for the first time have detected a rare deep-Earth tremor, known as an S (secondary) wave microseism.
Microseisms are very faint tremors.
The detection was made by scientists from the National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention in Japan.
23. Andhra Pradesh became the first state in the country to launch DNA Index System (DIS) for DNA profiling of criminals.
The system uses the latest DNA technology tool (also known as RapidHIT DNA System) developed by IntegenX of United States.
24. ISRO for the first time has successfully conducted the Scramjet (or Supersonic Combusting ramjet) engine test.
The test was conducted from Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikotta in Andhra Pradesh and has successfully has met all the intended parameters.
The scramjet engine works on the Air-breathing Propulsion System.
25. NASA’s solar-powered Juno spacecraft has successfully executed its first flyby of Jupiter, our solar system’s most massive planet.
During its first flyby, Juno passed just 4,200 kilometres above the planet’s clouds.
26. The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has announced that Unified Payments Interface (UPI) application has become operational.
The application will allow customers to make easier real-time payments via digital means using smartphones.
27. Automobile manufacturer Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd (M&M) has introduced DiGiSENSE, a cloud based technology solution to track vehicle information in real time.
Now, Mahindra has become the first OEM (original equipment manufacturer) in India to integrate its product line-up onto a cloud-based technology platform.
28. E-commerce portal Amazon.in has announced the launch of a dedicated online Telugu book store with a wide-range of over 10,000 Telugu titles.
Readers can get Telugu translations of English bestsellers in the store.
Currently, Amazon caters to Hindi, Tamil, Kannada, Marathi, Malayalam, Gujarati and Bengali languages.
29. Ananth Kumar, the Union minister of Chemicals & Fertilizers and Parliamentary Affairs launched a mobile App developed by NPPA.
The app shows the MRP fixed by NPPA for various scheduled drugs on the real time basis.
1. The second National Handloom Day has been celebrated all over the country, on August 7.
The first National Handloom Day was celebrated last year and Hon’ble Prime Minister was the Chief Guest in the main event held in Chennai on 7th August, 2015.
2. The International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples is observed every year on 9 August.
The day is celebrated to promote and protect the rights of the world’s indigenous population.
2016 Theme was “Indigenous Peoples’ Right to Education”.
3. The World Humanitarian Day (WHD) is observed every year on 19 August.
The day is celebrated to recognize work of humanitarian personnel and those who have lost their lives working for humanitarian causes.
2016 Theme was “One Humanity”.
4. National Sports Day in India is celebrated on August 29 to mark hockey legend Dhyan Chand’s birthday.
Dhyan Chand, considered as the greatest player in hockey, played a key role in India’s three consecutive Olympic triumphs in 1928, 1932 and 1936.
Notably, the government gives away awards such as Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, Arjuna and Dronacharya Awards on this day.
1. Nobel Prize-winning Egyptian-American chemist Ahmed Zewail has passed away in the United States. He was 70 years old.
He was a science and technology advisor to President Barack Obama and the first U.S. science envoy to the Middle East.
2. Noted Assamese litterateur Mahim Bora has passed away due to old age problems. He was 92 years old.
He was a Padma Shri and Sahitya Akademi winner.
His literary works include ‘Kathanibari Ghat’, ‘Bohubhuji Tribhuj’, ‘Much aru Manuh’, ‘Top’, ‘Tinir Tini Gol’.
3. Veteran South Indian film director and scriptwriter Sundaram has passed away in Chennai. He was 76 years old.
Sundaram was born in Tiruchi and ‘Vietnam Veedu’ became part of his name after he wrote the script, first for theatre and then for the film, starring Sivaji Ganesan.
4. Pakistani Cricketing legend Hanif Mohammad died at a Hospital. He was 81.
He was suffering from lung cancer.
His phenomenal 16-hour-long 337 against West Indies at Bridgetown – which saved Pakistan from imminent defeat – will be always be alive in history books.
5. Na Muthukumar, famous lyricist passed away in Chennai at the age of 41 years. He was suffering from jaundice for the past few days.
He won two national awards for the songs Ananda Yazhai Meetukiral in Thanga Meengal and Azhage Azhage in Saivam.
6. Pramukh Swami, the founder of Akshardham temples and a saint of the Swaminarayan sect, passed away after the prolonged illness at the Sarangpur temple.
7. Prominent Punjabi writer and Jnanpith awardee Gurdial Singh passed away in Bathinda, Punjab. He was 83.
He became famous when he published the novel Marhi Da Deeva in 1964.
After Amrita Pritam, he is the second Punjabi writer to receive the Jnanpith Award.
8. Charti Lal Goel, the first speaker of the Delhi Assembly has passed away after a prolonged illness.
9. SR Nathan, former longest-serving Singapore President of Indian-origin passes away.
He was the sixth and longest-serving President of Singapore.
10. Subrata Banerjee, former international umpire, died at the age of 71 in Kolkata.
Banerjee had a 15-year career at the international level, where he officiated in 13 ODIs.
11. Akhlaq Ur Rahman (AR) Kidwai passed away following a brief illness. He was 96.
12. Eminent painter, writer and art historian Dinanath Pathy passed away following a cardiac arrest at a hospital in Bhubaneshar. He was 74.
He was a former secretary of Lalit Kala Akademi, New Delhi and Bhubaneswar and is regarded as the pioneer of the art movement in Odisha.
13. Veteran Congress leader and former Governor of Madhya Pradesh Mohammad Shafi Qureshi has passed away in Delhi. He was 87 years old.
He also served as the Deputy Union Minister of Railways and got elected for Lok Sabha twice from Islamabad Parliamentary Constituency.
He served as Governor of States including Bihar, West Bengal and Haryana, for a record period of 17 years.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images