Read Current Affairs of last month online, all summarized well into one digest GK Eduwrap. Also, covering all the latest questions of General Knowledge asked in General Awareness for Bank PO.
National – Across the India:
1. The Union Defence Ministry has sanctioned the construction of a National War Memorial and National War Museum in New Delhi.
The National War Memorial will honour the memory of all soldiers of the Indian Armed Forces who have made the ultimate sacrifice for the nation.
2. The 2016 BRICS Convention on Tourism has begun at UNESCO World heritage site Khajuraho in Madhya Pradesh to promote intra-regional tourism.
The convention has been organised as a precursor to the BRICS Summit to be held in Goa in October 2016.
3. The Union Cabinet has approved the scheme for granting of Permanent Residency Status (PRS) to foreign investors.
The scheme is expected to encourage foreign investment in India and facilitate Make in India Programme.
4. The annual socio-religious Solung festival of Adi tribe has started in Arunachal Pradesh.
Solung is 5-day long agro-based festival is celebrated every year by the Adi tribe in the first week of September.
The Solung festival reflects the socio-religious features of the Adi tribe of Arunachal Pradesh.
5. The Union Government has notified National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme (NAPS) for providing apprenticeship training to over 50 lakh youngsters in order to create more jobs.
6. The first BRICS film festival has begun at the Sirifort Auditorium Complex in New Delhi.
The film festival is the run up to the BRICS summit which is to be held in Goa in October 2016.
7. The Indian Army has set up Army Design Bureau (ADB) in an attempt to indigenize procurements and reduce import dependence.
It a part of the government’s ‘Make in India’ initiative that will integrate various stakeholders in its long-term requirements.
8. The Union Government has constituted four members’ expert committee to study silt in river Ganga in Bihar.
It will be headed by member of Ganga Flood Control commission A .K. Sinha.
9. The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has imposed penalties on 10 cement companies and their umbrella association – Cement Manufacturers Association (CMA) for cartelization.
These companies are ACC, ACL, Binani, Century, India Cements, JK Cements, Lafarge, Ramco, UltraTech and Jaiprakash Associates.
10. Majuli named world’s largest river island Majuli.
Island on the Brahmaputra in Assam was declared the largest river island in the world, toppling Marajo in Brazil, by Guinness World Records.
11. India Post releases commemorative postage stamp on Saint Teresa.
12. Pondy Lt Guv launches Shramdaan movement in remote village
Lt Governor Kiran Bedi launched ‘Shramdaan movement’ as part of Swachh Bharatand Swachh Puducherryinitiative at a remote village.
13. PM to attend 14th ASEAN-India Summit and 11th East Asia Summit at Vientiane, Laos.
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi will be attending 14th ASEAN-India Summit and 11th East Asia Summit at Vientiane, the capital city of Laos from 7 September 2016 to 8 September 2016.
14. WHO certifies India Yaws, Maternal & Neonatal Tetanus free.
India has officially received certificates from World Health Organization (WHO), recognizing the elimination of Yaws and Maternal and Neonatal Tetanus (MNT) from the country.
15. Assam CM inaugurates Asia’s biggest digital library in Silchar.
On the occasion of the 55th Teachers’ Day, Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal inaugurated Asia’s biggest digital library dedicated to the memory of Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, NIT Silchar.
16. Dharmendra Pradhan launches ‘Gas4India‘ campaign to boost natural gas use.
17. DigiLocker Launched to Digitally Store Vehicle Documents.
18. 1st phase of ESIC’s pilot project of telemedicine services inaugurated.
Shri Bandaru Dattatreya, the Minister of State for Labour and Employment inaugurated the first phase of Tele-medicine services of ESIC for providing specialist medical services at a distance to insured workers.
19. IoT (Internet of Things) India Congress, 2016’ began in Bengaluru.
20. Goods and services tax bill get the nod by President Pranab Mukherjee.
21. Mandi and Sindhudurg found to be the Cleanest Districts in India.
22. Govt. approves subsidized chopper service for JK, Himachal.
23. J & K CM Mehbooba launches “CM Scooty Scheme” for girls in J&K.
Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti has launched the ‘CM Scooty Scheme‘ in the state to encourage girls to go to colleges for higher studies.
24. The Union Cabinet on 12 September 2016 approved the process, formation and functioning of the Goods and Services Tax (GST) Council.
It will decide on the rate of tax under the new Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime, likely to kick in from April 1, 2017.
Its first meeting will be held on 22nd & 23rd September.
25. The Union Finance Ministry has issued fresh flexi-fund guidelines for the Centrally Sponsored Schemes (CSS).
Under these guidelines states will be able to spend money freely to meet development requirements.
26. Central Board of Direct Taxes has launched ’e-nivaran’ facility.
The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has launched ’e-nivaran’ (electronic resolution) facility for online redressal of taxpayers’ grievances.
27. Rajnath Singh commissions offshore patrolling vessel Sarathi in Goa.
It is designed to carry one twin-engine light helicopter and five high speed boats.
28. On 12th September Govt. launched toll-free number “1234” for postal complaints.
It will be operational initially for 12 hours on working days between 0800 hrs – 2000 hrs.
Initially it is started in three languages – Hindi, English & Malayalam.
29. Arunachal Governor Jyoti Prasad Rajkhowa sacked.
Following a communique issued by Rashtrapati Bhavan, President had directed that he should cease to hold the office of the Governor of Arunachal Pradesh.
He had appointed Meghalaya Governor V Shanmuganathan to discharge the functions of the Governor of Arunachal Pradesh.
30. 14th September National Hindi Divas.
The National Hindi Divas an annual literary-day is being observed on 14 September in Hindi speaking regions of India and other countries with Hindi speaking population
31. India takes US renewable energy dispute to WTO.
The complaint alleges the states of Washington, California, Montana, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Michigan, Delaware and Minnesota prop up their renewables sector with illegal subsidies and domestic content requirements.
32. Railways launched “Yatri Mitra Seva”.
It will simplify the access to wheelchairs, battery operated cars and porter services.
33. Sports Ministry to launch Talent identification portal.
It will simplify the access to wheelchairs, battery operated cars and porter services.
34. India Declares Itself Free from Avian Influenza (H5N1).
35. Union Government approves 500 crore rupee projects for the development of tourism in Jammu and Kashmir.
36. Union Government bans sharing of Aadhaar card details.
The Union Government has banned agencies in possession of Aadhaar number to publish or post the information publicly to ensure that the details are not misused.
37. Ahmedabad to host African Development Bank Meet next year.
The meeting is all set to be held at Mahatma Gandhi Convention Centre, Ahmedabad.
Governors, Alternate Governors, Executive Directors, policy makers and businesses will take part in it.
38. Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launched the ‘Swachhta Saptah’.
The motive was to spread wider awareness on sanitation and cleanliness in rail premises and make hygiene a habit amongst the traveling public.
39. M/O Tourism Observes “Swachhta Pakhwada”.
The Ministry of Tourism is observing cleanliness related themes based fortnight (Swachhta Pakhwada) during the period from 16th to 30th September 2016.
40. Charkhi Dadri is Haryana’s 22nd district.
Haryana chief minister Manohar Lal Khattar announced a district status for Dadri, the biggest subdivision in the state, increasing the district count of Haryana to 22 from 21.
41. Government to expand DBT (Direct Benefit Transfer) to 147 schemes by next March.
By this government wish to achieve accurate targeting of beneficiaries, weed out duplication, curb leakages and bring efficiency in delivery process to help control expenditure and bring greater accountability and transparency.
42. 27 new cities selected under Centre’s Smart Cities mission.
Now the complete number of Smart Cities selected rises to 60.
43. Punjabi version of PM Narendra Modi’s website launched.
44. Incredible India Tourism Investors Summit
Incredible India Tourism Investors Summit (IITIS) 2016 has begun in New Delhi after it was inaugurated by Union Finance Minster Arun Jaitley.
45. Indira Awas Yojana Renamed After Prime Minister.
It will be subsumed by the Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana from April 1, 2017.
46. Government merges Railway Budget with Union Budget.
47. Niti Aayog chalks up the plan to secure 50 medals in 2024 Olympics.
Niti Aayog has devised a short-term and medium-to-long term action plan to help India achieve 50 medals in 2024 summer Olympics.
48. Mukesh Ambani tops Forbes’ 100 Richest Indians list.
49. GST council sets exemption threshold for tax at Rs.20 lakh.
50. The National Society for Change for Childhood Cancer has organized an exhibition “CanKids-KidsCan” from 25th to 27th September, at Taj Mahal (Agra).
It was aimed to generate awareness for childhood cancer.
It also included the “Chalo chalein Taj”
51. Five Indian cities named in Mastercard’s top 100 global destinations’ list.
The Cities are:
Mumbai (27th Rank)
Chennai (30th Rank)
New Delhi (48th Rank)
Kolkata (62nd Rank)
Pune (91st Rank)
52. 2nd SAARC Anti-Terrorism Mechanism held in New Delhi.
The meeting was held to solve the issues of terrorism and to strengthen the Mechanism.
All the SAARC member countries (Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka) participated.
53. India’s largest civilian research and development agency Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) celebrated its platinum jubilee.
PM Modi (President of CSIR) inaugurated it and released seven new plant varieties developed at CSIR laboratories.
54. Agriculture Minister Shri Radha Mohan Singh inaugurates “Krishi Unnati Mela” in Mathura (UP).
55. Minister of Drinking Water and Sanitation Narendra Tomar has set a target of toilets in every household by 2019.
The analysis shows that less than 8,000 toilets were constructed in 2015-16 against the target of over 2 lakhs.
56. The Indira Gandhi International Airport here has become Asia-Pacific’s only and one of the world’s few airports to achieve a “carbon neutral” status.
The airport is managed by private operator Delhi International Airport Ltd (DIAL).
57. The Union Cabinet has given its approval for closure of Hindustan Cables Limited (HCL), Kolkata.
The decision was taken under the provisions of Companies Act, 1956/2013 and other relevant Acts.
58. The Union Cabinet has given its ex-post facto approval for the Varishtha Pension Bima Yojana (VPBY) 2003 and Varistha Pension Bima Yojana (VPBY) 2014.
Both are pension schemes intended to give an assured minimum pension to Senior Citizens based on an assured minimum return on the subscription amount.
59. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) under the chairmanship of Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved ‘Project SAKSHAM’.
The project will help in the following:
Integration of CBEC IT systems with the Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN).
Extension of Indian Customs Single Window Interface for Facilitating Trade (SWIFT).
Other taxpayer-friendly initiatives under Digital India and Ease of Doing Business of CBEC.
60. The Union Cabinet has given its approval to ratify the Paris Agreement (on Climate Change) on Gandhi Jayanti i.e. on 2nd October 2016.
India’s decision to ratify the agreement will take the number of cumulative level of emission of countries that have ratified the agreement so far to 51.89%.
61. The Delhi International Airport Limited announced that the Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) has become the first airport in the Asia Pacific region to achieve carbon neutral status.
62. The 2016 BRICS Labour & Employment Ministerial Meet was held in New Delhi from September 27- 28, 2016.
It aimed to solve the issues including job creation and social security for workers.
The five major BRICS economies (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) participated in the meet.
63. Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) was launched in Jammu & Kashmir at Srinagar.
The aim was to provide LPG connections during the three financial years commencing from 2016-17 to five crore families, who are Below Poverty Line (BPL).
International – Across the Globe:
1. India, Vietnam Sign 12 Agreements to Boost Bilateral ties.
India and Vietnam have signed 12 agreements for cooperation in areas, including defense and IT, to boost bilateral ties.
2. “Toward an Innovative, Invigorated, Interconnected and Inclusive World Economy”.
The 2016 Group of Twenty (G20) Summit was held in Hangzhou, China from 4th to 5th September 2016
3. WHO certifies Sri Lanka malaria free.
The World Health Organization certified Sri Lanka a malaria-free nation and awarded certificate on 6 September.
4. UN Charter translated into Sanskrit.
The UN Charter, the seminal treaty of the United Nations, has now been translated into Sanskrit.
5. India-Kazakhstan Joint Exercise “PRABAL DOSTYK-16”.
India, Kazakhstan joint bilateral military exercise PRABAL DOSTYK-16 began in Karaganda region of Kazakhstan.
6. India second most unequal country globally after Russia while Japan most equal.
7. Nearly 50 million children uprooted worldwide: UNICEF
8. ASEAN Summit 2016 concludes in Vientiane, Laos.
The 28th and the 29th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Summit concluded on 8 September 2016 at Vientiane, Laos.
9. PepsiCo’s Indra Nooyi only Indian-origin woman in Fortune list.
10. World’s first driverless bus service launched in French city of Lyon.
The driverless bus service includes two electric shuttles that will transport passengers on a ten-minute route hosting five stops.
11. India along with 10 South-east Asian countries decided to set up fund for health emergencies in region.
The joint funding stream will be established under the South-East Asia Regional Health Emergency Fund (SEARHEF).
12. ‘Bhattacharya, Kochhar among most powerful women outside the US’.
India’s top women bankers, SBI chief Arundhati Bhattacharya, ICICI head Chanda Kochhar and Axis Bank CEO Shikha Sharma, are among the 50 most powerful women based outside the US, according to a list by Fortune which is topped by Banco Santander’s boss Ana Botin.
13. Vice President Ansari to represent India at NAM Summit.
14. Priyanka Chopra among world’s 10 highest paid TV actresses: Forbes.
15. China successfully launches Tiangong-2 space lab.
Launching Tiangong-2 into space is an important step for China toward building its own permanent space station
16. China, Russia conduct joint naval exercises Joint Sea-2016 in the South China Sea.
The naval exercise will be held from 13th to 19th September 2016.
17. First Indian music & dance festival “Confluence: Festival of India” starts in Sydney.
The festival aimed to showcase the country’s rich and diverse culture was kicked off in iconic Sydney Opera House.
18. China and Russia have carried out joint naval exercises dubbed as Joint Sea-2016 in the resource-rich South China Sea (SCS) off China’s southern Guangdong province.
19. India ranks 112th in 2016 World Economic Freedom Index.
20. Oxford tops the list as the world’s leading university.
The list was released by the Times Higher Education world rankings.
21. India-Russia Joint Military Exercise Indra-2016 Begins in Vladivostok.
22. World’s largest radio FAST telescope built in China.
The Five-hundred-meter Aperture Spherical Telescope (FAST) is named after its diameter that is 500 meters.
23. World Economic Forum (WEF) released the Global Competitiveness Report (GCR) 2016-2017.
The report highlights that for second consecutive year, India has jumped 16 places in the GCI report to occupy the 39th spot.
24. Pakistan‘s lower house of parliament has passed a landmark bill (marriage bill).
It gives its small Hindu minority the right to register marriages so that the women’s rights could be protected.
25. World Health Organization (WHO) declares Region of the Americas as Measles free.
The declaration was made by the International Expert Committee for Documenting and Verifying Measles, Rubella, and Congenital Rubella Syndrome Elimination.
1. Former pacer Zaheer Khan has been made an honorary life member of the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC).
He became the 24th Indian cricketer to be bestowed the honour.
2. Serena Williams sets women’s record of 307 victories in grand slams.
In the US Open, the American defeated Johanna Larsson of Sweden, 6-2, 6-1 to progress to the pre-quarterfinals and surpass Martina Navratilova’s record of 306 wins.
3. Abhinav Bindra announces retirement from shooting.
Abhinav Bindra has officially announced his retirement. The ace shooter felt it was time to move on and let the younger generation take over.
4. 2016 Summer Paralympic Games begins.
The 2016 Summer Paralympic Games began on 7 September 2016 at Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
5. Mariyappan Thangavelu wins India’s first Gold medal at 2016 Rio Paralympic Games.
6. Stan Wawrinka defeats Novak Djokovic to win 2016 US Open Men’s Singles title.
It is Djokovic’s 21st Grand Slam final in all, second in the history of men’s tennis only to Roger Federer’s 28.
It gives Djokovic the chance to gain more ground in the championship count.
7. Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares win 2016 US Open Men’s Doubles title.
8. Joint Indian-US army exercise ‘Yudh Abhyas 2016’ to begin in Uttarakhand.
9. India’s Devendra Jhajharia (36) has won gold medal in the men’s javelin throw, F46 event held at the 2016 Rio Paralympics.
10. Sushmita wins bronze at World Martial Arts Masterships.
Indian kickboxer Sushmita Rai (Mazitar, East Sikkim) has won the Bronze medal at the World Martial Arts Masterships 2016, at Cheongju in South Korea.
11. East Bengal wins Calcutta Football League 2016
12. World’s 1st robotic eye operation performed in Britain.
13. Indian shooter Subhankar Pramanick wins gold at ISSF Junior World Cup in Azerbaijan.
He won the gold medal in the 50-metre rifle prone event with overall 205.5 scores to finish top of the podium.
14. Davis Cup: Spain beat India 5-0.
Host India was routed by Spain 0-5 in the Davis Cup World Group Play-off tie.
15. Deaf shooter Priyesha Deshmukh wins bronze in World Championship.
She won the medal in 1st World Deaf Shooting Championships.
It was her first Championship.
16. Ritu Rani retires from international hockey.
17. Sania Mirza – Barbora Strycova crowned women’s doubles champions at Pan Pacific Open.
The partnership made a win over China’s Chen Liang and Zhaoxuan Yang in the final.
18. Japan’s Aichi prefecture and its capital city Nagoya were confirmed as co-hosts of the 2026 Asian Games.
OCA formally endorsed the bid after Aichi Prefecture governor Hideaki Ohumra and Nagoya city mayor Takashi Kawamura presented their joint offering to the OCA General Assembly in Danang.
19. Alexander Zverev clinched his first ATP Tour title.
He won victory over world number three Stan Wawrinka in the final of the St Petersburg Open.
20. Indian off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin became the second fastest bowler to claim 200 Test wickets.
He achieved the milestone in his 37th match.
21. Indian paddler Sathiyan Gnanasekaran has won the Belgium Open title of the table tennis in the men’s singles category.
This was his first pro title.
22. India’s Pinky Balhara has won the bronze medal in the sporting event of kurash at the 5th Asian Beach Games held at Da Nang, Vietnam.
She won the medal in women’s 52kg category.
23. India bagged their first gold medal at the 5th Asian Beach Games with the women’s beach kabaddi team defeating Thailand.
The team won the title for the record fifth time in succession here.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Martial arts expert and actor Jackie Chan will receive a lifetime achievement, Oscar.
The announcement was made by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Chan made his movie debut at the age of 8.
2. Mother Teresa is being declared saint by Pope Francis in Vatican City.
The blessing comes on the eve of her 19th death anniversary. Once declared Saint, she will be known as Saint Teresa of Calcutta.
3. JSS Malappuram wins UNESCO literacy award.
The Jan Sikshan Sansthan (JSS), Malappuram, has won the UNESCO Confucius Prize for Literacy in recognition of its literacy-linked skill development activities among the underprivileged in rural areas.
4. LIFFI: Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Tannishtha Chatterjee win Best Actors award.
5. Indian film Thithi wins best film award at BRICS Film Festival.
6. Anjum Chopra, India’s first woman to get MCC membership.
Anjum Chopra has been awarded an honorary life membership of the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC).
7. Honorary doctorate for Mary Kom.
Pranab Mukherjee has given his assent to the proposal to confer an honorary doctorate on Olympic medalist Mary Kom by the North Eastern Hill University.
8. Canara Bank conferred with the Dun & Bradstreet Banking Awards 2016.
9. Haryana wins Best Horticulture State award.
Haryana has won ‘Best Horticulture State’ award of the Indian Council of Food and Agriculture (ICFA).
10. Filipino revenge drama wins best picture at the world’s oldest film festival.
It is an allusion to Filipinos’ recovery after centuries of colonial rule.
The historic win is a boost to the the country’s flourishing independent film industry.
11. Nagaland Chief Minister T R Zeliang has received ‘Pangkor Dialogue Award 2016′ in Malaysia.
12. Subramanian Swamy was awarded ‘Tamil Ratna’ in US.
He was awarded for fighting corruption and working for more transparency in the functioning of the government.
13. Uttarakhand governor releases a book by author Nagrath.
Uttarakhand Governor K K Paul today released a book titled ‘Shanti ki Talaash mein Zindagi’ written in Hindi by Haridwar-based author and journalist Radhika Nagrath.
14. Dinesh Bharadia wins 2016 Marconi Society Paul Baran Young Scholar Award for contributing radio waves.
15. Eminent Malayalam critic and academician Dr. M Leelavathi has been chosen for the prestigious N. Mohanan Suvarna Mudra Award 2016.
She was awarded for her contributions to Malayalam language and literature, a release said here today.
16. West Bengal to confer Bangabibhushan award to Lata Mangeshkar.
17. Shubha Mudgal to get ‘Lalit Arpan Samman’.
18. Adi Godrej conferred with 10th Clinton Global Citizen Award.
He is the Chairman of Mumbai-based Godrej Group.
He is awarded for leadership in business and philanthropy.
19. Himachal Pradesh wins Better Performing Project Award 2015.
The state won the award for development of infrastructure in the state.
20. Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi to get the Humanitarian Award.
Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi has been honored as the 2016 humanitarian of the year by students and faculty at the Harvard Foundation.
21. 2016 Right Livelihood Award Announced (Alternative Nobel Prize) was announced on 22 September 2016 in Stockholm, Sweden.
The winners for 2016 are:
Syria Civil Defense (the whitehelmets)
Egyptian feminist activist Mozn Hassan and the Nazra (Feminist Studies)
Svetlana Gannushkina from Russia
Turkish newspaper Cumhuriyet
22. Lopamudra Raut bags second runner-up spot at Miss United Continents 2016.
The title of Miss United Continents 2016 was won by Jeslyn Santos from Philippines.
23. Visaranai, the Tamil docu-drama crime thriller, to take a shot at Oscar nomination.
Part of the film is based on true events recorded in novel Lock Up, written by M. Chandrakumar, an autorickshaw driver from Coimbatore.
24. Noted Telugu writer Prof. Kalakaluri Enoch was conferred with Moortidevi Award of Bharatiya Jnanpith for the year 2015 at a function in New Delhi.
The award was given for his novel Ananta Jeevanam.
25. Tirupati Airport (Airports Authority of India) was awarded the Best Tourist Friendly Airport.
It was awarded under the category for State Annual Excellence Awards for the year 2015-16 by Andhra Pradesh Tourism.
The award was presented on the eve of World Tourism Day.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. Apple quietly acquires Hyderabad-based AI startup Tuplejump.
This is Apple’s first acquisition in India.
2. Wipro acquires Chinese FMCG brand Zhongshan Ma Er Daily Products Ltd.
This is the Wipro’s 10th acquisition and it took about six years to consummate the deal.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Noted filmmaker, Aishwaryaa Dhanush was appointed United Nations Women’s Advocate for Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment in India.
She will help raise awareness of UN Women’s core message of gender equality and women’s empowerment across India.
2. Former Finance Secretary Ashok Chawla has been appointed as the new Chancellor of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) University.
He is currently serving as the Chairman of TERI since February 2016.
3. Deep Kumar Upadhyay was re-appointed as Nepal’s ambassador to India.
He was serving as Nepal’s ambassador to India since April 2015, was suddenly recalled by the erstwhile K.P. Sharma Oli-led government in May.
4. Punit Goenka, Managing Director, Zee Entertainment Enterprises has been elected as the President of The Indian Broadcasting Foundation (IBF).
5. Chennamaneni Vidyasagar Rao given additional charge of TN and MP.
According to a Rashtrapati Bhavan statement, Mr Rao has been assigned the additional charge of Tamil Nadu Governor in place of K Rosaiah, who completed his tenure on August 30.
6. Sakshi Malik appointed Wrestling Director of Rohtak University.
The Haryana Government has announced the appointment of Rio Olympics bronze medallist Sakshi Malik as Wrestling Director at Maharshi Dayanand University in her native town Rohtak.
7. The UK appoints the ambassador to Iran for the first time since 2011.
The UK and Iran have appointed ambassadors for the first time since 2011, restoring diplomatic relations.
8. John Abraham roped in as brand ambassador of Arunachal Pradesh.
9. Ex-IAS officer J Satyanarayana appointed part-time UIDAI chief.
Former IAS officer J Satyanarayana was on September 6 appointed as part-time chairperson of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
10. Satbir Singh appointed as next Ambassador of India to Algeria.
11. Jayant Purushottam Gokhale has been appointed the director of Syndicate Bank.
12. Bakytzhan Sagintayev appointed as the Prime Minister of Kazakhstan.
He is awarded the order Kurmet and anniversary medals.
He is an author of a number of scientific works, publications on state regulation of spheres of natural monopolies, development of small and medium business.
13. Jim Yong Kim heads for second term as World Bank president.
14. Hiroshi Nakagawa takes over as Chairman of Isuzu Motors India.
15. BHVS Narayana Murthy appointed Director of Research Centre Imarat.
16. Nadia Murad named UN Goodwill Ambassador.
She survived captivity by ISIS in Iraq to become an activist for her Yazidi people.
17. V K Sharma gets additional charge asChairman of Life Insurance Corporation (LIC).
He is currently serving as Managing Director of LIC.
18. Alka Sirohi former IAS officer appointed UPSC chairman.
She has been appointed in place of Deepak Gupta who demits office on 20th September.
19. Anandi Ramalingam on 16 September 2016 assumed charge as functional/whole time director of Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL).
20. Punjab National Bank appointed Virat Kohli as its new brand ambassador.
The aim is to improve its image which has taken a hit due to rising bad loans.
21. Monika Kapil Mohta appointed Ambassador to Sweden.
22. S. S. Mallikarjuna Rao has taken charge as executive director of Syndicate Bank.
23. India’s High Commissioner to the UK, Navtej Singh Sarna, has been appointed the new Ambassador to the US.
He will succeed the current envoy Arun Singh.
24. Justice Mohan M Shantanagoudar was sworn in as Chief Justice of Kerala High Court at a function held at Raj Bhavan.
25. Justice Girish Chandra Gupta was sworn in as Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court.
26. Ajay Shirke was re-elected unopposed as the secretary of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) at its 87th Annual General Meeting (AGM) here.
BCCI appoints new selection panel with MSK Prasad as Chief Selector.
27. BCCI appoints new selection panel with MSK Prasad as Chief Selector.
28. Madhusudan Sahoo was appointed as chairperson of Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India.
29. The Director of Eenadu I. Venkat was elected as chairman of Audit Bureau of Circulation (ABC) for the year 2016-17.
30. Bangladesh’s Junaid Ahmad new World Bank head in India.
31. Senior IAS officer Arun Goyal has been appointed Additional Secretary in the Goods and Services Tax (GST) Council.
He will be the first Additional Secretary of GST Council Secretariat.
32. Ajay Singh, Chairman and Managing Director (MD) of Spicejet Airlines has been elected as BFI (Boxing Federation of India) president.
He defeated Rohit Jain (15 votes) in the contest for the president’s post.
33. Sanjiv Singh appointed as the new chairman of Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
He has been Director of Refineries at Indian Oil Corporation Limited since July 1, 2014.
34. Anurag Srivastava appointed as Ambassador of India to the Republic of Djibouti.
35. Vijay Kelkar, the former petroleum secretary, has been elected as the new President of the prestigious Indian Statistical Institute (ISI).
He succeeded former RBI governor C. Rangarajan.
36. R. Subramania Kumar appointed Executive Director of Indian Overseas Bank.
37. The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) reached an agreement to cut oil production for the first time since 2008 after an informal meeting in Algiers, Algeria.
It was decided that OPEC would reduce output to a range of 32.5 to 33.0 million barrels per day (bpd) from its current output at 33.24 million bpd.
38. Yashvardhan Sinha appointed India’s High Commissioner to the UK.
He served as India’s High Commissioner to Sri Lanka.
39. The European Union (EU) ministers have approved the ratification of Paris Agreement (on Climate Change).
This decision brings the Paris Agreement closer to entering into force.
40. Riyadh Mathew and Viveck Goenka, Chairman and Managing Director of Indian Express, were elected Chairman and Vice-Chairman respectively of Press Trust of India (PTI).
Mathew succeeds Hormusji N. Cama, Director of Bombay Samachar. Mr. Goenka succeeds Mr. Mathew as ViceChairman.
41. Centre sacked Sushil Muhnot, chairman and managing director of Pune-based Bank of Maharashtra, four days short of his scheduled retirement.
Also appointed Ravindra Marathe as the state-owned lender’s new chief.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The Union Cabinet has given its approval for simplification and liberalisation of the Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) Policy, 2016 in various sectors announced in June 2016.
The radical amendments to FDI policy are meant to liberalise and simplify the FDI policy so as to provide ease of doing business in the country.
2. India has been placed at the 35th rank in the World Bank’s 2016 Logistics Performance Index (LPI) among 160 countries.
It was released by World Bank in its report titled ‘Connecting to Complete 2016’.
3. DCB Bank has launched ‘mVisa’.
It’s a mobile-based payment solution that will make payments at retail outlets much easier.
4. RBI has made it mandatory for banks to allow customers to register their mobile numbers through any ATM.
Banks have also been told not to insist that customers visit only their home branch to get their mobile numbers registered and to have this facility for customers across branches.
5. Infosys sets up JV for Saudi Arabian market.
Infosys Ltd has become the latest Indian IT services company to set up a joint venture with Saudi Prerogative Company (SPC) in Saudi Arabia.
6. Expansion of India – Chile Preferential Trade Agreement (PTA).
An agreement on the expansion of India–Chile Preferential Trade Agreement (PTA) was signed between India and Chile in a meeting held between Ms. Rita Teaotia, Commerce Secretary and Mr. Andrés Barbé González, Ambassador, Embassy of Chile on 6th September 2016.
7. World Bank, BRICS Bank, AIIB to fund Amrut Mission.
World Bank, BRICS Bank, AIIB along with the other various banks will provide credit facility to AMRUT Mission, a mission to transform cities.
8. RBI cancels registration certificate of 5 NBFCs.
Registration certificates of five non-banking financial companies (NBFCs) have been cancelled by The Reserve Bank while two surrendered their certificate to the central bank.
9. ICICI Bank: First bank to introduce Software Robotics for power banking operations.
10. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved the proposal for initiation of the Third Phase of Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme (TEQIP).
The project will be implemented as a Central Sector Scheme with total project outlay of 3600 crore rupees.
11. Cabinet approves the establishment of Higher Education Financing Agency.
12. Axis Bank, BHU team up for banking courses Private sector.
Axis Bank has tied up with Banaras Hindu University (BHU) to offer specialized banking courses.
13. World Bank will invest nearly 1,000 crore rupees in Assam.
It was for the betterment of the inland waterways.
14. Federal Bank launches Federal Skill Academy at Coimbatore.
15. Andhra Pradesh has emerged on the top among all other states in attracting industrial investments in 2015-16.
AP emerged on top by pushing the previous year’s topper Maharashtra to the third spot.
16. India’s GDP to grow by 8% over next few years: S&P.
Backed by the broadening of domestic consumption base, S&P Global Ratings projected India to clock a “steroid-free” growth of 8 per cent over the next few years.
17. Vijaya Bank has launched three innovative information technology (IT) products, coinciding with Hindi Diwas celebration.
The new IT products are “VPAYQWIK”, “Vijaya *99#” and “V-eConnect+”.
18. Flipkart becomes 1st e-commerce in India to cross 100 million customers.
19. HDFC Bank named India’s most valuable brand.
HDFC Bank Ltd, the largest private sector bank in India, was India’s most valuable brand for the third successive year and emerged on top of the BrandZ Top 50 Most Valuable Indian Brands ranking released by WPP Group and Kantar Millward Brown.
20. Union Cabinet approves Winding up of Hindustan Diamond Company Private Limited.
21. The Department of Investment and Public Asset Management, Ministry of Finance has appointed ICICI Prudential Asset Management Company Ltd., as the asset management company for the creation and launch of a new Exchange Traded Fund (ETF).
The new ETF will comprise of shares of listed CPSEs and other corporates.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. The Union Cabinet approval to enact Admiralty (Jurisdiction and Settlement of Maritime Claims) Bill 2016.
The Bill consolidates the existing laws relating to admiralty jurisdiction of courts, admiralty proceedings on maritime claims, the arrest of vessels and related issues.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. The Gujarat government has inked a tripartite MoU with the Ministry of Civil Aviation and the Airport Authority of India (AAI).
Under these MoUs, 11 small airports and airstrips will be developed under the Centre’s Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS) to boost regional air connectivity in the State.
2. LG Electronics Inc. has tied-up with Amazon.com Inc. on smart-home services.
This tie-up will help to enable the services of Amazon such as the Alexa virtual assistant on some of the electronics maker’s devices.
3. India has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Greece.
India has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Greece to allow the unlimited number of flights into each other’s countries and also has initiated the air service agreement for open skies.
4. Government approves the agreement with Kenya for cooperation in National Housing Policy.
5. HP, Singapore sign MoU for a smart integrated township.
Himachal Pradesh government signed a preliminary Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Singapore government for developing a smart integrated township in Jathiadevi near Shimla airport.
6. 4th Russia and India Working Group meeting held in New Delhi.
Russia and India acknowledged their mutual interest in further strengthening and expanding bilateral investment cooperation between across the sectors.
7. India, Sri Lanka sign MoU to support fishermen in Hambantota district.
India and Sri Lanka have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to support livelihood of the fishing and farming project to communities in Sri Lanka’s southern Hambantota district.
8. India, France ink deal for 36 Rafale fighter jets.
India and France have signed an Inter-Governmental Agreement for the purchase of 36 Rafale fighter jets at a cost of 7.87 billion Euros.
9. Uber partners NSDC, Maruti to skill 1 million by 2018.
Uber has launched a new initiative in partnership with Maruti and National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC), for creating livelihood opportunities for one million people by 2018.
10. Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) has signed a contract with German company DST.
It was to design vessels suited to navigate the 1620 km stretch of National Waterway (NW-1).
11. Bombay Stock Exchange has partnered with Twitter.
The aim is to provide live updates of S&P BSE Sensex levels, stock prices and opening and closing figures of Sensex companies to millions of investors.
12. Andhra Bank ties up with Cigna TTK & Reliance General Insurance.
The tie-up with both the insurance companies will immensely benefit the customers by providing alternatives in choosing products.
13. India and China hold the first High-LevelDialogue on Counter-terrorism and Security in Beijing, the capital city of China.
Both countries discussed on ways to enhance security and cooperation to combat terror.
14. India is going to invest 2 billion dollars in Sri Lanka in the next three-four years, as per the Economic and Technological Cooperation Agreement (ETCA).
ETCA agreement seeks to boost cooperation in scientific expertise, technical areas and research amongst institutions between India and Sri Lanka.
15. Chandigarh Administration and French Development Agency sign MoUs.
It was on Chandigarh Smart City Project and ‘Technical Cooperation’ in the field of Sustainable Urban Mobility.
16. Russia and Cuba have signed an agreement on cooperation in the field of peaceful atomic energy use.
The deal lays down the basis for further cooperation in different fields from agriculture to training nuclear specialists.
17. The Telangana government has signed a MoU with Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) to promote education.
As per the agreement, ISRO will help to improve services of Telangana’s educational channel ‘Mana TV’ by using Satcom.
18. The Union Cabinet has given its approval to the MoU in the field of Industrial Property Cooperation.
It will enhance bilateral cooperation activities in the arena of Industrial Property Rights of Patents, Trademarks, and Industrial Designs.
Science & Technology:
1. Indian Railways has launched an insurance scheme for passengers travelling on e-ticket.
The insurance cover will be up to 10 lakh rupees.
It offers travellers or nominees a compensation of 10 lakh Rupees in the event of death or total disability, 7.5 lakh Rupees for partial disability.
2. The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) for the first time has successfully sequenced DNA in space aboard the International Space Station (ISS).
3. ISRO launched advanced weather satellite INSAT-3DR.
Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) successfully launched advanced weather satellite, INSAT-3DR on 8 September 2016.
4. MIT researchers and their colleagues are designing an imaging system that can read closed books.
By using algorithms and terahertz radiation, it correctly identifies the letters on the top nine pages.
5. All India Radio Launches Balochi Website, Mobile App.
It was launched to enable people of Balochistan settled across the world listen to Balochi content from India.
6. Guided missile destroyer ‘Mormugao‘ launched in Mumbai.
7. HRD Minister inaugurates Super Computer PARAM-ISHAN at IIT Guwahati.
8. India successfully test-fires surface-to-air missile “Barak 8”.
It was jointly developed by India’s Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) and Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) manufacturer.
It can identify and hit an air target within a range of some 43.5 miles.
9. World’s largest solar power plant commissioned at Kamudhi, Ramanathapuram (Tamil Nadu).
The plant was installed by Adani Green Energy, a part of the Adani Group.
It has an installed capacity of 648MW.
10. Scientists successfully grow three-dimensional lungs in lab using stem cells.
The 3D lungs or organoids was created by coating tiny gel beads with lung-derived stem cells and then allowing them to self-assemble into the shapes of the air sacs found in human lungs.
11. MIT scientists develop new technique to find signs of life on Mars.
Scientists from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) US have developed a novel spectroscopic technique to find signs of present or former extraterrestrial life on the Mars.
12. ISRO successfully launched eight satellites into two different orbits in a single mission.
They were launched onboard of Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle C35 (PSLV C35) from Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota.
The satellites are “SCATSAT-1, Pratham, PISAT, Alsat-1B, Alsat-2B, Alsat Nano, Pathfinder-1 and NLS-19”.
13. As per the study conducted by the World Health Organization (WHO) air pollution caused by fine particulate matter (PM) is causing long-lasting disease chronic illnesses.
The study finds that about a fifth of the 3 million people died worldwide because of exposure to fine PM2.5 which may have aggravated or been directly responsible for cardiovascular diseases and lung cancer.
14. The world’s first three-parent baby boy was born in Mexico to a Jordanian couple.
It was done with the help a controversial new fertility technique that incorporates DNA from three people in the embryo.
15. Google launches instant messaging mobile app Allo.
It supports Google Assistant, a conversational virtual assistant.
1. 5th September National Teacher’s day.
Observance of this day commemorates the birthday of India’s first Vice President and second President Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan since 1962.
2. National Sports Day in India is celebrated on August 29 to mark hockey legend Dhyan Chand’s birthday.
Dhyan Chand, considered as the greatest player in hockey, played a key role in India’s three consecutive Olympic triumphs in 1928, 1932 and 1936.
Notably, the government gives away awards such as Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, Arjuna and Dronacharya Awards on this day.
3. 8th September- International Literacy Day .
This year, the world is celebrating 50th International Literacy Day. The day was established in 1966 by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
4. International Day of Peace was observed on 21st September.
The day is also known as World Peace Day.
It is dedicated to world peace, and specifically the absence of war and violence.
5. The World Tourism Day is observed annually on 27th September.
The aim was to raise awareness about the importance of tourism.
2016 Theme for the celebration was ‘Tourism for all – promoting universal accessibility’.
6. 28th September 2016 marks the 10th World Rabies Day, a milestone in rabies prevention.
This year’s theme is “Rabies: Educate. Vaccinate. Eliminate”.
7. The World Maritime Day is observed across the world on 29th September.
It was celebrated to highlight the importance of shipping safety, maritime security and the marine environment.
2016 theme is “Shipping: indispensable to the world”.
1. World’s oldest cricketer Lindsay Tuckett passes away.
World’s oldest cricketer, Lindsay Tuckett passed away in Bloemfontein at the age of 97.
2. US golfer Arnold Palmer passed away on 25 September 2016 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania due to heart complications. He was 87.
He is generally regarded as one of the greatest players in professional golf history.
3. Shimon Peres, the former Israeli prime minister, president and Nobel Peace Prize winner, has died at the age of 93.
He is best known for his work as Israel’s foreign minister during the negotiation of the Oslo Accords, the 1993 Israeli-Palestinian agreement.
4. Syed Shamsul Haq, one of Bangladesh’s best-known writers passed away on 27 September 2016 in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
He was known for equal mastery over novels, poetry, essays, and plays.
He was also vocal against religious fundamentalism.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images