Update your IQ with the GK Eduwrap Weekly Edition, loaded with GK updates & Current Affairs. Now confidently crack the IBPS, SSC’s Current Affairs Section !!
National – Across the India:
1. The National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources (NBAGR) has conferred rare and singular species genetic recognition tag to the threatened breed of Kendrapara sheep found in Odisha.
It has received registration number INDIA_SHEEP_1500_KENDRAPADA_14042.
It became the 42nd sheep breed in India to receive such tag.
The genetically rare status will help to boost conservation effort to protect these domesticated threatened sheep.
2. India’s first Centre of Excellence on Internet of Things (CoE– IoT) was launched in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) launched it.
The centre was launched at NASSCOM’s Startup Warehouse in Bengaluru to encourage start-ups to come up with tech solutions centered on Internet of Things (IoT).
3. The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has launched a nationwide Intensified Diarrhoea Control Fortnight (IDCF) to check child diarrhoeal deaths.
The IDCF drive was launched by Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare J P Nadda in New Delhi.
It will be observed from 11th to 23rd July, 2016 across the country.
4. The Union Government has notified the UIDAI (Terms and Conditions of Service of Chairperson and Members) Rules, 2016 to give legal status to Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
These rules have been framed as per provisions of Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Act, 2016.
5. The Supreme Court has ordered the restoration of former Chief Minister Nabam Tuki’s Congress government in Arunachal Pradesh.
6. The Union Cabinet has approved the revival of three fertilizers defunct Fertilizer Units in Gorakhpur, Sindri and Barauni.
The three fertilizers units are as follows:
(i) Barauni (Bihar) unit of Hindustan Fertilizers Corporation Limited (HFCL)
(ii) Urea unit of Fertilizer Corporation India Limited (FCIL) at Sindri (Jharkhand)
(iii) Urea unit of FCIL at Gorakhpur (Uttar Pradesh)
7. The Union Cabinet has extended numerous facilities to persons from minority communities of Afghanistan, Pakistan and Bangladesh namely Hindus, Buddhists, Jains, Sikhs, Parsis and Christians staying in India on Long Term Visa (LTV).
It was decided by Union Cabinet Meeting chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
8. The Union Cabinet has given its approval for allocation of Twelve thousand crore rupees to Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY).
The funds will be used to impart skill training to 60 lakh youths and certify skills of 40 lakh persons acquired non-formally.
9. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved the disinvestment of 15% paid up equity of National Buildings Construction Corporation Limited (NBCC).
It was decided by CCEA meeting chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
10. The ruins of ancient Nalanda Mahavihara (also known as old Nalanda University) of Bihar has been included in the Tentative List of UNESCO’s World Heritage Site.
It comprise the archaeological remains of monastic-cum-scholastic from the 5th century BC to the 13th century AD. It located near Patna, state capital of Bihar.
11. Madhya Pradesh became the first state in India to have ‘Happiness Department’ that will work as knowledge resource centre on the subject of happiness on the lines of Bhutan.
Know all about SSC CGL 2016 Exam and make you career through it !!
International – Across the Globe:
1. The Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA) in Hague, the Netherlands has rejected China’s claims to economic rights across large swathes of South China Sea.
The ruling came from an arbitration tribunal under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) which both China and Philippines have signed.
2. The first direct bus service between Pokhara (Nepal) and New Delhi (India) was launched to connect South Asia’s two important cities.
The bus service was flagged off by Nepal Home Minister Shakti Bahadur Basnet and India’s ambassador to Nepal Ranjit Rae from Pokhara (Nepal’s famous tourist spot).
3. Peru has declared Zika outbreak as a health emergency across the northern half of the country after 102 people were infected with the virus.
The 90-day health emergency was declared to prevent the spread of the disease.
So far 34 cases of disease (principally transmitted by mosquitos) were detected in pregnant women.
4. The Union Government has started the operation ‘Sankat Mochan’ to evacuate Indian citizens stranded in South Sudan’s capital Juba.
Sankat Mochan in Hindi means reliever from troubles.
The operation is being undertaken by Indian Air Force (IAF) and will be headed by Union Minister of State (MoS) for External Affairs General (Retd.) VK Singh.
5. The eleventh edition of Asia-Europe Meeting Summit (ASEM11) or ASEM2016 began in Ulaanbaatar, the capital of Mongolia.
The theme of the Summit is ‘Partnership for the Future through Connectivity‘.
World leaders including from the leaders of 51 member countries and the representatives of European Union and Asian are attending the two day summit.
6. The eleventh edition of the Asia-Europe Meeting Summit (ASEM11) or ASEM2016 has issued Ulaanbaatar Declaration.
The declaration has reaffirmed ASEM’s commitment for greater partnership through informal political dialogue and initiatives in economic and socio-cultural fields.
It also has expressed its commitment for united fight against terrorism and violent extremism.
7. The Lifeline Express, the world’s first hospital on a train of Indian Railways has completed 25 years of service to the poor and underprivileged masses of rural India.
To mark the occasion and celebrate the success of the train a function was held in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
1. The 2016 Wimbledon Championships was held from 27 June to 10 July 2016.
It was the 130th edition of the championships and the 49th edition in the Open Era.
The tournament had taken place at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in Wimbledon, London, United Kingdom.
Know the Winners
Men’s Singles Title - Andy Murray
Women’s Singles Title - Serena Williams
Men’s Doubles Title - French pair of Pierre-Hugues Herbert and Nicolas Mahut
Women’s Doubles Title - US pair of Serena Williams and Venus Williams
Mixed Doubles Title - Henri Kontinen (Finland) and Heather Watson (United Kingdom) pair
2. Portugal has won the 2016 UEFA European football championship (Euro Cup 2016) by defeating host France.
It was Portugal’s first UEFA European Championship title.
Various Awards given are as follows:
Golden Boot: Antoine Griezmann (France) – 6 goals, 2 assists
Silver Boot: Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal) – 3 goals, 3 assists
Bronze Boot: Olivier Giroud (France) – 3 goals, 2 assists
Young Player of the Tournament: Renato Sanches (Portugal) – aged 18
3. Harika Dronavalli, India’s Chess Grand Master has won the Fide Women’s Grand Prix trophy in Chendu, China.
It was her maiden career GP title.
She won this title by defeating Russia’s Olga Girya.
Awards & Recognition:
1. President Pranab Mukherjee conferred the 51st Jnanpith Award on renowned Gujarati writer and litterateur Dr.Raghuveer Chaudhari at a function in New Delhi.
He was awarded with India’s highest literary honour carrying a cash prize, a citation plaque and a bronze replica of Goddess Saraswati for the year 2015.
He has authored more than 80 books and some of his notable novels include Amrita, Venu Vatsala, Uparvas, Purvarang and Laagni Samjyaa Vinaa Chuuta Padvanu.
2. Aditya Puri, the chief executive and managing director of the second largest private sector lender HDFC Bank, has been ranked as the best banking CEO in Asia by the investor community.
3. Captain Radhika Menon was selected for the 2016 International Maritime Organization (IMO) Award for Exceptional Bravery at Sea.
She has been selected for the prestigious award for her role in the rescue of seven fishermen from a sinking fishing boat in the Bay of Bengal in June 2015.
She is also the first female to receive the IMO Award for Exceptional Bravery at Sea.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. Mahindra Aerostructures, a subsidiary of Mahindra & Mahindra have bagged a Tier 1 supplier contract to supply airframe parts for Airbus’s AS565 MBe Panther helicopter.
With this, Mahindra Aerostructures becomes the first Indian company to receive a direct manufacturing contract from Airbus (European aviation major) as a Tier 1 supplier.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Tripura Governor Tathagata Roy has sworn in as the acting Governor of Arunachal Pradesh.
He has been given the additional charge of Governor of Arunachal Pradesh during the leave of absence of incumbent Governor Jyoti Prasad Rajkhowa.
2. Sanjay Gupta was appointed as Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of Konkan Railway Corporation Limited (KRCL).
3. Sushila Karki has become the first woman Chief Justice of Nepal after taking oath of office and secrecy at a special programme organized at the Presidential Residence, Sheetal Niwas.
She will head the judiciary till June 6, 2017.
The oath was administered by President Bidya Devi Bhandari.
4. Ashok Patnaik, senior IPS officer has been appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the National Intelligence Grid (NATGRID) by Union Government.
He will succeed Raghu Raman, the first CEO of NATGIRD.
The post was under the additional charge of former special secretary Ashok Prasad till January 2016.
5. KVR Murthy was appointed as the Chairman-cum-Managing Director (CMD) of the Jute Corporation of India Limited (JCIL).
6. Rakesh Kumar Chaturvedi senior IAS officer has been appointed as the new Chairman of the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE).
Grab useful Tips &Tricks for SSC CGL 2016 Tier 1 Preparation !!
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The State Bank of India (SBI) has signed a MoU with the Society for Innovation and Entrepreneurship (SINE) at IIT Bombay to promote innovation by start-ups in the financial sector.
The SINE is IIT Bombay’s technology business incubator to promote innovation by startups in the financial sector.
2. India and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) have signed a 100 million dollars loan agreement.
The MoU was for irrigation projects, drainage system and water management in Vennar sub-basin of Cauvery delta in Tamil Nadu.
It will improve water management and strengthen embankments of 6 major irrigation water channels in Vennar system.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. India and Tanzania have signed five agreements to accelerate bilateral ties between both nations.
Different areas in which MoU signed, are as follows:
Establishment of Vocational Training Centre at Zanzibar.
Visa waiver agreement for Diplomatic/Official passport holders.
Cooperation in the field of water resource management and development.
Line of Credit (LoC) of US 92 million dollars for rehabilitation and improvement of water supply system in Zanzibar.
Joint Action Plan (JAP) between National Small Industries Corporation of India (NSIC) and Small Industries Development Organization Tanzania (SIDO).
2. Bangladesh and India have signed an agreement for the construction of a 1,320 megawatt (MW) coal fired power plant near Sundarbans.
The agreement was signed between Bangladesh-India Friendship Power Company (Pvt) Limited (BIFPCL), the joint venture enterprise and Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL).
3. Tata Advanced Systems Ltd (TASL) and US-based Bell Helicopter have signed a deal to jointly develop the helicopter market in India.
The MoU will help in to supporting India’s aviation and defence modernization initiatives with an emphasis on ‘Make in India’.
Science & Technology:
1. The second unit of Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant (KNPP), India’s largest nuclear power plant in Tamil Nadu became operational.
The 1,000 Megawatt (MW) capacity plant attained criticality after the second unit became operational.
Now the power generation of Unit 2 will be stepped up to full capacity of 1000 MW in phases and will be synchronized with the grid.
2. Indian Navy has commissioned INS Karna, an independent base of Marine Commandos (MARCOS) at Bheemunipatanam Naval Base, Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
It was commissioned by Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Sunil Lanba at the commissioning ceremony held at Bheemunipatanam Naval Base.
3. The Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) successfully conducted proof firing tests of Armament system for 155 mm x 52 calibre New Advanced Towed Artillery Artillery Gun System (ATAGS).
4. The Union Government has launched Transforming India Website (www.transformingindia.mygov.in).
It is a repository for sharing the impact of various governance initiatives with citizens in real-time.
It was launched by the Union Minister of Electronics and Information Technology and Law & Justice Ravi Shankar Prasad in New Delhi.
1. The World Population Day is observed across the world on July 11.
The motive was attention on the urgency and importance of population issue.
2016 Theme was “Investing in teenage girls”.
It focuses on the empowerment of teenage girls.
2. The World Youth Skills Day is observed globally on 15th July every year to raise awareness about the importance of investing in youth skills development.
The aim is to create more awareness on training and the development of skills for the youth of today and to create better employment opportunities for the youth.
2016 Theme for celebrating the day was “Skills Development to Improve Youth Employment”.
Important Abbreviations used in the Article
|NBAGR||National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources|
|CoE– IoT||Centre of Excellence on Internet of Things|
|IDCF||Intensified Diarrhoea Control Fortnight|
|UIDAI||Unique Identification Authority of India|
|PMKVY||Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana|
|CCEA||Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs|
|PCA||Permanent Court of Arbitration|
|IMO||International Maritime Organization|
|SINE||Society for Innovation and Entrepreneurship|
|ADB||Asian Development Bank|
|TASL||Tata Advanced Systems Ltd|
|DRDO||Defence Research and Development Organization|
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
Image courtesy: Google Images