Update your IQ with the GK Eduwrap Weekly Edition, loaded with GK updates & Current Affairs. Now confidently crack the IBPS, SSC’s Current Affairs Section.
1. Supreme Court has declared National Judicial Appointments Commission (NJAC) Act, 2014 and 99th Constitutional Amendment Act, 2014 unconstitutional and void.
2. Union Government has flagged off Science Express Climate Action Special (SECAS) with the theme of Climate Change.
3. The Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) of Malaysia proposed to invest 30 billion US dollars in urban development and housing projects in India.
4. The Union Ministry of Home Affairs introduced a scheme called Central Victim Compensation Fund (CVCF)with an initial amount of 200 crore rupees.
The scheme aims at enabling support to victims of various attacks, such as rape, acid attacks, human trafficking and women killed or injured in the cross border firing.
5. The Union Government gave its approval to payment of Performance Related Pay (PRP) to executives and non-unionized supervisors of Coal India Ltd (CIL) and its subsidiaries.
6. Tamil Nadu state government has banned Ketoprofen, a non-steroid anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) to save critically endangered vulture population in the state.
7. Union Environment Ministry has approved annual plans of National Mission for Green India (GIM) of four states viz. Kerala, Mizoram, Manipur and Jharkhand.
8. The Ministry of Shipping along with the Directorate General of Lighthouses and Lightships (DGLL) launched an ambitious program to develop 78 lighthouses in the country as centres of tourism in the first phase under Public Private Partnership (PPP).
9. The Delhi Government launched Bill Banvao, Inaam Pao scheme to encourage people to receive or demand proper bills for purchases.
Citizens will be eligible for the scheme only on a bill or cash memo/retail invoice of not less than 100 rupees for purchases made from a registered dealer in Delhi.
The maximum prize to be given under the scheme is 50000 rupees.
10. The Gujarat Government proposed a 15375 crore rupees comprehensive action plan to ensure basic infrastructure in 31 cities under Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) in the next five years.
11. Annual meetings of the World Bank Group and the International Monetary Fund were held between 9th October and 11th October 2015 in the Peruvian capital Lima.
Key issues of discussions during the Fund-Bank meeting were
The Role of World Bank and the IMF to support the 2030 agenda for Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Shareholding review of the World Bank and changes in the financing structure of International Development Agency (IDA).
The stalemate in the implementation of the 2010 IMF quota and governance reforms.
12. The Kerala government launched the Operation Valsalya project to trace, rescue and reunite the missing children with their family.
13. This ambitious program is envisaged to be implemented on the lines of the much acclaimed Operation Smile project in Ghaziabad.
14. European Union launched second phase of Operation Sophia to fight traffickers in Mediterranean Sea.
15. The famous Mysore Dusshehra Mela has begun on 13th Oct 2015. This is the 405th year of Mysore Dusshehra.
16. Rajasthan government has issued a notification to provide five per cent quota to Gujjars and other Special Backward Classes (SBC) for which the Assembly has passed a bill last month.
The Act will provide 5 per cent reservation in jobs and educational institutes to Gujjars, Banjara, Raibari, and Gadiya Lohar communities in the state.
17. World’s top pilots to take part in Paragliding World Cup at Bir-Billing in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh.
1. United States has announced to extend its military presence in Afghanistan beyond 2016 as per shift in policy to further cooperate for fighting terrorists.
2. Australian Government has given its approval for Adani Group’s Carmichael coal mine and rail project in accordance with environment laws of country.
3. The Union Cabinet has approved the MoU between the Taipei Economic and Cultural Center (TECC) in India and India-Taipei Association (ITA) in Taipei.
4. The Union Cabinet has approved Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the Union Ministry of New and Renewable Energy and Mozambique in field of renewable energy.
5. The Navies of India, United States and Japan began the five-day Malabar exercise 2015 on the Eastern Coast.
Under this exercise several warships, aircraft carriers and fast attack submarine will be participating.
6. The Parliament of Iran has passed a bill that allows the government to implement a historic nuclear deal reached with world powers i.e. P5+1 countries.
7. Fifth joint military exercise between India and China, named Hand-in-Hand 2015, started at Kunming Military Academy, Yunnan Province, China on 12th October 2015.
1. One of India’s greatest fast bowlers Zaheer Khan has announced his retirement
2. Indian female bodybuilder Shweta Rathore won a silver medal in the 49th Asian Bodybuilding and Physique Championship, held in Uzbekistan.
With this, she became the first ever Indian female bodybuilder to win a medal at a continental level tournament.
3. Ajay Jayaram of India defended the 2015 Dutch Open Men’s Singles badminton title.
4. Lewis Hamilton of Britain and Mercedes racing driver won the 2015 Formula 1 Russian Grand Prix title.
5. The 2015 China Open (Tennis) was played on outdoor hard courts in Beijing and was part of ATP World Tour 500 series on the 2015 ATP World Tour.
Men’s Singles title
Novak Djokovic of Serbia won the 2015 Men’s Singles title of China Open.
Women’s Singles title
Garbiñe Muguruza of Spain won the 2015 Women’s Singles title of China Open.
Men’s Doubles title
Vasek Pospisil (Canada) and Jack Sock (US) pair won the 2015 Men’s Doubles title of China Open.
Women’s Doubles title
Sania Mirza (India) and Martina Hingis (Switzerland) pair won 2015 Women’s Doubles title of China Open.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Nobel Peace laureate Kailash Satyarthi has been nominated for the prestigious 2015 Harvard Humanitarian of the Year Award for championing the cause of child reform and ending all forms of violence against children.
2. Pranab Mukherjee became first Indian President to address Israeli Parliament Knesset.
3. Portugal became the first European country to sign the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on the establishment of Nalanda University.
4. Jamaican writer Marlon James won the 2015 Man Booker Prize for Fiction for his novel A Brief History of Seven Killings.
With this award, James became the first Jamaican author to win the prize in its 47-years of history.
5. Renowned Malayalam filmmaker, I.V. Sasi was awarded with the prestigious J.C. Daniel Award for the year 2014 for his contributions towards the Malayalam entertainment industry.
6. Micro-economist Edinburgh Angus Deaton won the 2015 Nobel Prize in Economics.
He was awarded for his analysis of consumption, poverty, and welfare.
7. Punjab National Bank won Beighton Cup of Hockey tournament at the Sports Authority of India.
8. Adidas has listed in one of the top sports goods maker in India.
Mergers & Acquisition:
1. Tata Housing tied-up with social networking firm Facebook to sell its affordable homes online.
For this purpose, Tata Housing launched the new campaign titled Social sellon Facebook.
2. Dell Inc and EMC Corporation signed an agreement under which Dell, together with its owners will acquire EMC Corporation, while maintaining VMware as a publicly-traded company.
3. Etihad Airways and IBM has made an information technology deal worth 700 million US dollars for over 10 years.
The deal aims at improving the airline’s operations and security.
4. ICC signs up Nissan as official global partner till 2023.
5. India signed contract for microlight aircrafts with Slovenian firm Pipistrel.
6. Retail major Future Group tied-up with Baba Ramdev’s Patanjali Ayurved.
1. Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has established Financial Inclusion Fund (FIF) with INR 2000 crore corpus expanding reach of banking services. This fund will support the developmental and promotional activities covered under the financial inclusion initiatives.
2. African Development Bank to triple Annual Climate Financing to nearly $5 billion by 2020.
3. India granted a cheque of 5 million US dollars to the Palestinian government as a budgetary support.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Kundhavi Kadiresan was appointed as the Assistant Director (AD) of United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and Regional Representative for Asia and the Pacific.
2. Former Google adviser Omid Kordestani was appointed as Executive Chairman of Twitter.
3. An Indian national, Kundhavi Kadiresan was appointed as the Assistant Director of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and Regional Representative for Asia and the Pacific.
4. Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley was chosen as ‘Finance Minister of the Year, Asia’ by London-based publication Emerging Markets.
5. Reliance Power appointed N Venugopala Rao as its Chief Executive Officer (CEO) with immediate effect.
6. Alkesh Sharma appointed as CEO and MD of Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor Development Corp.
7. Infosys appointed Ranganath Dwarakanath Mavinakere as its Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
8. Telenor India, earlier known as Uninor, appointed Sharad Mehrotra as its new Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
9. P S Jayakumar was appointed as MD & CEO of Bank of Baroda.
10. Former JPMorgan banker Staley is to be appointed as Barclay’s new CEO.
11. Fiji’s Parliament elected the Minister for Employment, Productivity and Industrial Relations, Jioji Konrote, as the country’s next President.
12. KP Sharma Oli elected as the Prime Minister of Nepal.
13. Corporate Affairs Secretary Tapan Ray was appointed to the Board of capital market regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI).
Science & Technology:
1. Defence Research Development Organization’s (DRDO’s) Missile Complex in Hyderabad has been renamed as Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Missile Complex.
2. Uttar Pradesh government launched the mobile app mSehat for health workers to record maternal and infant data in real-time.
The application was developed by Kellton Tech.
The application is aimed at improving the infant mortality rate outcomes.
3. A sweet banana species with orange pulp named as Musa indandamanensis has been discovered by team of scientists from the Botanical Survey of India (BSI) in Andamans.
4. More than 200 species were found in Eastern Himalayas. Amongst them, a walking fish, a unicorn, a blue eyed frog, a sneezing monkey were also discovered.
In total there are 133 plants, 39 invertebrates, 26 fish, 10 amphibians, one reptile, one bird, and one mammal out of which 15 were found in Bhutan and 60 in Nepal.
5. NASA’s Journey to Mars: Pioneering Next Steps in Space Exploration is a report released by NASA.
The report contains a plan for establishing permanent settlements and creating deep-space habitation facilities on the red planet Mars by 2030s.
The plan under which, Humans will be living and working on Mars in colonies entirely independent of Earth by the 2030s, will act as stepping stones to Mars.
6. Technology giant IBM launched public data centre in Chennai to tap into growing demand from financial services and government sectors.
1. World Food Day (WFD) was observed on 16th October 2015 with the theme Social Protection and Agriculture.
The day is observed with an aim to raise public awareness about hunger challenges and encourage people worldwide to take action in the fight against hunger.
2. The Fourth International Day of the Girl Child (IDGC) was observed across the world with the theme The Power of Adolescent Girl: Vision for 2030.
1. Geoffrey Howe, Britain’s former treasury chief, died due to a suspected cardiac arrest in Idlicote, England. He was 88.
2. Legendary Tamil actress Gopishantha, popularly known by her stage name Manorama, died due to multiple organ failure in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. She was 78.
3. Renowned Carnatic flautist Natesan Ramani died of cancer in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. He was 82.