Update your IQ with the GK Eduwrap Weekly Edition, loaded with GK updates & Current Affairs. Now confidently crack the IBPS, SSC’s Current Affairs Section !!
National – Across the India:
1. The government has an ambitious plan to lay 6,900 km of gas pipelines linking Bangladesh, Myanmar, most north-eastern states, and West Bengal.
Bangladesh Petroleum Corporation (BPC) and Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) signed an agreement in April this year to jointly set up a Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) terminal plant in Chittagong port city which will help pipe gas to the north-eastern states.
2. Finance Ministry accepting Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu’s proposal to merge it with the General Budget.
As a result the 92-year-old practice of presenting a separate Rail Budget is set to come to an end from the next fiscal.
3. Union Ministers M Venkaiah Naidu and Water Resources Minister Uma Bharti has jointly launched ‘Smart Ganga City’ programme in 10 cities to improve drainage network there on hybrid annuity mode on public private partnership basis.
The cities are Haridwar, Rishikesh, Mathura, Varanasi, Kanpur, Allahabad, Lucknow, Patna, Sahibganj, and Barrackpore.
4. Union Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas Dharmendra Pradhan has launched the Pradhan Mantri UjjwalaYojana (PMUY) in West Bengal.
It is a scheme to provide clean cooking fuel to the women belonging to the ‘Below Poverty Line’ (BPL) households across the country.
5. PM Narendra Modi has announced 20% hike in pension of freedom fighters and museums would be established in different states from Red Fort on 70th Independence Day.
Those who are receiving Rs.25,000 will now get Rs.30,000.
6. The Odisha government has decided to make Aadhaar card mandatory for procurement of paddy in the state.
The government has also decided to link Aadhaar numbers of beneficiaries for availing ration under National Food Security Act (NFSA) and work under MGNREGA.
7. Jayalalithaa (Tamilnadu) has announced Rs 1,000 increase in the freedom fighters pension from Rs 11,000.
8. Odia language will be used as the official language in all government offices in Odisha from today onwards.
According to the amendment of the Orissa Official Language Act 1954, all government letters, files will be carried in Odia language.
9. The Bihar state assembly has unanimously passed the crucial Goods and Services Tax Bill (GST Bill).
With this, it has become the first non-Bharatiya Janata Party-ruled state to ratify the GST, Last week, Assam became the first state to ratify the Bill.
10. Hindustan Copper Limited (HCL) inaugurated the Nickel, Copper and Acid Recovery Plant of Hindustan Copper Limited at Indian Copper Complex, Ghatsila in Jharkhand.
11. The Union Government has allowed online authentication using Aadhar for new mobile connections.
The Department of Telecom (DoT) has issued guidelines for Aadhaar Electronic-Know Your Customer (e-KYC).
12. India has ranked 66th in the 2016 Global Innovation Index (GII).
India has jumped up by 15 spots from 81st position in 2015 GII.
The annual index was released by France-based international business school INSEAD and World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO), a specialized agency of the United Nations.
13. The Maharashtra Government became the first state in the country to launch India’s first comprehensive ‘Crime Criminal Tracking Network System’ (CCTNS) in Mumbai.
14. The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)-Kanpur has adopted five villages in Uttar Pradesh under the Namami Gange programme.
These five villages are Ramel Nagar, Khoyra Katree, Pratapur, Hari Hindpur, and Katri Ladhva Khera.
15. India ranks a low 39th in terms of fixed broadband adoption in the list of 53 Asia Pacific countries.
A report from ‘State of ICT in Asia and the Pacific 2016: Uncovering the Widening Broadband Divide’ has revealed the data.
16. The meeting of BRICS women parliamentarian’s forum has begun in Jaipur, Rajasthan.
BRICS is the grouping of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
The two-day meeting was inaugurated by Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan.
International – Across the Globe:
1. India has provided One million US Dollars grant to Zimbabwe in the wake of El Nino induced drought disaster.
Chief Secretary to the President and Cabinet Dr. Misheck Sibanda thanked for the quick response by India to an international appeal made by his country
2. The first South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Youth Parliamentarians Conference on `Peace and Harmony for Development’ was held in Islamabad, Pakistan.
It was to offer young Parliamentarians’ narrative as a prelude to the 19th SAARC Summit to be hosted by Pakistan in November 2016.
1. Simone Manuel anchored the U.S. women’s 4×100 metres medley relay team to the 1,000th gold medal in her country’s summer Olympic history and the second of her career.
Australia won the silver, with Cate Campbell touching out just 0.01 ahead of bronze medallists Denmark.
2. India squash queen Dipika Pallikal won the Australian Open squash title by beating Mayar Hany of Egypt by 0-12, 11-5, 11-6, 11-4.
3. Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt has won gold in the 100-metre final in Rio Olympics.
With this win, Bolt became the first man to win the event 3 times at consecutive Olympic Games.
4. India’s ace shuttler Pusarla Venkata Sindhu won the silver medal in women’s singles badminton event at 2016 Rio Olympics.
Sindhu now became the first Indian woman to win the silver medal in Olympics and also the fifth woman player from India to win a medal in Olympics.
5. Freestyle wrestler Sakshi Malik won India’s first medal at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games by clinching the bronze in the 58kg category.
She created history by becoming the first Indian woman wrestler to win an Olympic medal.
6. Jamaican Sprinter Usain Bolt created an unprecedented record of a triple treble by winning third Gold medal in Rio Olympics 2016.
He achieved this feat after Jamaica won gold medal in 4x100m relay final at the Rio Olympics.
He is now the first athlete to win 9 gold medals in sprinting events of Olympics.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Bollywood star actors Sonam Kapoor and Nawazuddin Siddiqui bagged the best actress and best actor awards at the Indian Film Festival (IFF) of Melbourne 2016.
Award winners are:
- Best Actor (Male) – Nawazuddin Siddiqui for Raman Raghav
- Best Actor (Female) – Sonam Kapoor for Neerja
- Best Film Award – Kapoor & Sons
- Best Indie Film – Thithi
- Best Director – Shakun Batra
- Indian Film Festival Excellence in Cinema Award(lifetime achievement award) – Rishi Kapoor.
2. Indian Institute of Science (IISc) has bagged the 5 Medals for Young Scientists award 2016.
The winners are Prabeer Barpanda, Sai Siva Gorthi, Praveen Kumar, Anshu Pandey and Chandan Saha.
3. P Shanmugam, the Principal Scientist of Central Leather Research Institute (CLRI) has bagged the Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Award for meritorious services in the Higher Education Department of Tamil Nadu.
Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu Jayalalithaa has presented the award comprising a certificate, Rs. 5 lakh cheque and 8-gram Gold medal.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. Microsoft has acquired Beam, launched in January this year.
The move will support Microsoft’s growth strategy around Xbox Live, one of the world’s most popular social gaming platform.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Urjit Patel has been appointed as new Governor of Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
He will be 24th Governor of RBI He will have tenure of three years and shall succeed Raghuram Rajan.
Prior to this appointment (elevation) he was Deputy Governor of RBI.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The State Bank of India’s (SBI’s) board of directors has approved the merger of its five associate banks and Bharatiya Mahila Bank (BMB) with itself.
These five subsidiaries are State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur, State Bank of Hyderabad, State Bank of Mysore, State Bank of Travancore and Bharatiya Mahila Bank.
2. Private sector lender Kotak Mahindra Bank has started an ‘Innovation Lab’ in Bengaluru to tap into the best technology that impacts its operations and is open to investing in startups.
It will help in startups, starting incubation centres, organising ‘hackathons’ and ideation contests.
3. National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) ties up with Union Bank of India to launch a USSD based *99# mobile application for their customers.
4. Insurance watchdog, IRDAI has imposed Rs 35 lakh fine on Bharti AXA General Insurance Co Ltd for violation of various norms including outsourcing activities and corporate governance guidelines.
5. The retail segment of National Pension Scheme (NPS) has grown by over 100% over the past one year.
The new provision to provide tax benefits up to 40% of maturity of investment has drawn a lot of retail investors to the NPS schemes.
6. South Indian Bank, leading private sector bank, and SBI Card, one of India’s leading Credit Card issuers, announced the launch of co-branded credit cards for the customers of South Indian Bank.
Through this alliance South Indian Bank and SBI Card will launch two variants of a credit card on VISA platform, namely South Indian Bank Platinum SBI Card and South Indian Bank SimplySAVE SBI Card.
7. The India Post Payments Bank Limited (IPPBL) has received the Certificate of Incorporation from the Registrar of Companies, Ministry of Corporate Affairs under the Companies Act 2013.
IPPBL would be the first PSU under the Department of Posts (DoP).
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. Fifth Generation Technologies, a multi-national research, and innovation company with specialization in building “real-time intelligence” solutions and products to the manufacturing industry has entered into an agreement with Anna University, Chennai.
The MoU is for conducting research to arrive at a useful prediction of the remaining life of critical equipment that is working in high-temperature environments.
2. India and Bangladesh have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Route Permit for carrying Petroleum Goods to Tripura via Bangladesh.
The MoU was signed between Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL) and the Roads and Highways Department of Bangladesh in Dhaka.
Science & Technology:
1. China has successfully launched the world’s first quantum satellite.
It establishes hack-proof communications between space and the ground.
The satellite nicknamed “Micius” was launched from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre.
2. Researchers from the Central Salt & Marine Chemicals Research Institute (CSMCRI), Bhavanagar (Gujarat) have developed photocatalyst that can completely degrade three industrial dyes in the presence of sunlight.
This photocatalyst is able to completely degrade three industrial dyes — methyl orange, methylene blue, and reactive black-5.
3. The Union Ministry of Mines has launched a web portal for Star Rating of Major Mineral Mines with an aim to promote sustainable mining.
The online portal was developed by IBM (Indian Bureau of Mining) through NISG (National Institute of Smart Government), Hyderabad.
4. The world’s largest (longest) aircraft the Airlander 10 has embarked its maiden flight at an airfield in Cardington in central England.
It is a hybrid airship made by Hybrid Air Vehicles in the United Kingdom.
5. Chinese scientists have discovered a small molecule (new drug) named XMU-MP-1 that can regenerate tissue.
It has potential to eliminate transplants of some organs.
It was discovered by team of researchers from Xiamen University and Peking University of China.
6. Tech giant Intel has unveiled Project Alloy, a device that creates merged reality.
Project Alloy is a headset that uses the RealSense technology to enable people to use their hands to interact with elements of the virtual world without using cables to connect computer.
7. Scientists have discovered a new species of eel, a snake-like fish, from the northern Bay of Bengal along the West Bengal coast.
The species Gymnothorax indicus is slender-bodied and about one feet-long.
The eel was studied by the scientists at Sankarpur fishing harbour in West Bengal’s Purba Medinipur district.
8. China began operating its indigenously designed bullet trains which can clock 350 kmph speed.
The China Railway Corporation announced that Train No G8041 departed from Dalian for Shenyang, the capital of northeast China’s Liaoning.
9. Myanmar has officially announced to support for China’s ambitious One Belt and One Road (OBOR) connectivity initiative along the ancient Silk Road.
It was announced in the joint statement released by both countries during official state visit of Myanmar’s State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi to China.
10. The Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) has voiced its concern over alleged excesses of the Indian military and the paramilitary forces in Kashmir.
1. The World Humanitarian Day (WHD) is observed every year on 19 August.
The day is celebrated to recognize work of humanitarian personnel and those who have lost their lives working for humanitarian causes.
2016 Theme was “One Humanity”.
1. Na Muthukumar, famous lyricist passed away in Chennai at the age of 41 years. He was suffering from jaundice for the past few days.
He won two national awards for the songs Ananda Yazhai Meetukiral in Thanga Meengal and Azhage Azhage in Saivam.
2. Pramukh Swami, the founder of Akshardham temples and a saint of the Swaminarayan sect, passed away after the prolonged illness at the Sarangpur temple.
3. Prominent Punjabi writer and Jnanpith awardee Gurdial Singh passed away in Bathinda, Punjab. He was 83.
He became famous when he published the novel Marhi Da Deeva in 1964.
After Amrita Pritam, he is the second Punjabi writer to receive the Jnanpith Award.
4. Charti Lal Goel, the first speaker of the Delhi Assembly has passed away after a prolonged illness.
Important Abbreviations Used in the Article
|BPC||Bangladesh Petroleum Corporation|
|IOC||Indian Oil Corporation|
|PMUY||Pradhan Mantri UjjwalaYojana|
|NFSA||National Food Security Act|
|WIPO||Intellectual Property Organization|
|HCL||Hindustan Copper Limited|
|DoT||Department of Telecom|
|CCTNS||Crime Criminal Tracking Network System|
|SAARC||South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation|
|OIC||Organisation of Islamic Cooperation|
|IFF||Indian Film Festival|
|NPS||National Pension Scheme|
|IPPBL||India Post Payments Bank Limited|
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images