1. In order to reduce air pollution due to vehicles the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways issued a notification to introduce Bharat Stage IV (BS-IV) compliant four wheeler vehicles though out the country from 1st April 2017.
As per the notification from 1 April 2017 all newly manufactured four-wheeled vehicle that are complaint with the BS-IV standards will be allowed to registered and move on roads.
2. Union Government has constituted a three member panel to assess the situation over the student protest in Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) in Pune.
3. State run insurer, Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) has launched its maiden unit linked insurance plan (ULIP) product across the country.
The ULIP which is also called as ‘New Endowment Plus’ offers investment-cum-insurance provision during the term policy providing dual benefit for the policy holder.
4. Finance Minister Arun Jaitley launched two funds the India Aspiration Fund (IAF) and SIDBI Make in India Loan for Enterprises (SMILE) under Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) in line to carter funding for start-ups and to aid small enterprises in India.
5. Union Government has completed the demarcation of eco-sensitive zone (ESZ) around the Okhla Bird Sanctuary in the national capital region (NCR) of Delhi.
6. Bombay Stock Exchange has instituted new system Suspicious Transaction Reports (STRs) for reporting suspicious trades in order to check money laundering through stock markets.
7. Union Government has announced 1.25 lakh crore rupees special package for poll bound Bihar as part of Prime Minister’s Bihar Package.
8. Tata Trust to develop 264 villages in Vijayawada Lok Sabha constituency of Andhra Pradesh under Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY) initiative.
9. Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy inaugurated a 12 MW solar power project at the Cochin International Airport. Spread over 50 acres, the project is reportedly the single largest solar project which has been constructed in an airport in India.
10. Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh announced that Sanskrit will be introduced as a mandatory subject in all Government schools of the state.
11. Telangana Chief Minister K. Chandrasekhar Rao launched a flagship program Grama Jyothi across the state. The scheme is aimed at comprehensive development of rural areas allowing planning and execution of works by villages themselves.
12. Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi visited United Arab Emirates (UAE) between 16 August and 17 August 2015.
He is the first Prime Minister of India to visit UAE after 34 years. The last Indian Prime Minister to visit the UAE was Indira Gandhi in 1981.
13. Delhi government announced a new City Taxi Scheme 2015 under which permits will be issued to 600 CC vehicles.
14. Odisha government approved a 1500 crore rupees State Capital Region Improvement of Power System (SCRIPS) scheme.
The scheme will be implemented in five years that is from 2015-16 to 2019-20.
15. Gujarat High Court has stayed implementation of the compulsory voting in the panchayat and municipal polls under the provision of Gujarat Local Authorities Laws (Amendment) Act, 2009.
16. Manipur Government has reached an agreement with the Joint Committee on the Inner Line Permit System (JCILPS) over the issue of implementation of Inner Line Permit (ILP) system.
17. After the irk raised due to appointment of two private sector bankers to head Bank of Baroda and Canara Bank the government has issued norms for selection of MDs and CEOs in Mid and Small Public Sector Banks (PSBs).
18. Himachal Pradesh Government has launched Rajiv Gandhi Illuminating Scheme for Hill Town Advancement (RISHTA) project, which is an efficient smart LED based street lighting project.
19. The book titled Making India Awesome authored by Chetan Bhagat was released by Rupa Publications.
1. The US military has launched the largest NATO airborne drills dubbed as Swift Response 15 since the end of the Cold War to enhance security and stability in the European region.
Swift Response 15 will be month long simultaneous multinational airborne operations drill in which around 5,000 soldiers from 11 NATO member states will participate.
2. United National Party (UNP) led United National Front for Good Governance (UNFGG) has emerged as largest group by winning 106 seats out of total 225 seats in Sri Lankan Parliamentary election 2015.
3. Bangladesh became the first country to receive funds from the United Nations (UN) for its fast growing solar home systems.
4. Pakistan and Russia signed a landmark defense agreement that includes the sale of four Mi-35 Hind E attack helicopters to Pakistan.
5. Ranil Wickremesinghe has sworn-in as the Prime Minister of Sri Lanka for fourth time.
6. Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras has announced his resignation in a televised address to the debt ridden nation which is centre of Eurozone crisis.
7. Pakistan and Russia have signed a landmark defense deal including the sale of 4 advance Mi-35 ‘Hind E’ combat helicopters to Pakistan.
1. Bangladesh has won maiden Under-16 South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) championship title 2015.
2. Former Olympic champion Sebastian Coe from United Kingdom has been elected as President of International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF).
3. Aditi Chauhan, India’s international football goalkeeper became the country’s first woman to play English league football.
4. The Union Government announced the awardees for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award and Arjuna Award for the year 2015.
Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ranta 2015
||Name of the sportsperson||Discipline|
|1||Ms. Sania Mirza||Tennis|
Arjuna Awards 2015
||Name of the sportsperson||Discipline|
|1||Naib Subedar Sandeep Kumar||Archery|
|3||Kidambi Srikanth Nammalwar||Badminton|
|9||Abhilasha Shashikant Mhatre||Kabaddi|
|11||Anup Kumar Yama||Roller Skating|
|13||S Sathish Kumar||Weightlifting|
|16||Yumnam Sanathoi Devi||Wushu|
|17||Sharath M Gayakwad||Para-Swimming|
These awardees will receive their awards from the President of India at a specially organized function at the Rashtrapati Bhawan on 29 August 2015.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Three Indian companies Hindustan Unilever Sun Pharma Industries and Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) and have been named among the world’s 100 most innovative companies by Forbes.
Hindustan Unilever the FMCG has been ranked 41 on the list whereas TCS stood at number 64 and Sun Pharma at 71 in the Forbes list of ‘The World’s Most Innovative Companies’.
2. Eminent Historian writer Babasaheb Purandare has been conferred with Maharashtra Bhushan Award 2015.
What is Maharashtra Bhushan Award?
It is a highest civilian award of Maharashtra state presented annually by the state government.
3. Bangladesh novelist Zia Haider Rahman has won James Tait Black award 2015, UK’s oldest literary prize for his first novel, In the Light of What We Know.
His debut novel’s story is based on an investment banker in a lead role who receives a visit from an old friend and addresses a whole range of issues including Afghanistan war, the rise of Muslim fundamentalism and global banking crisis.
4. Union Tourism Ministry will soon confer the title of ‘Twin National Heritage Cities’ on the temple towns of Rishikesh and Haridwar.
5. India’s historic Mughal mausoleum Taj Mahal has ranked fifth position in the prestigious list of most attractive travel hotspot in the world.
6. TPP Nair, Romeo James and SP Misra have been recommended for prestigious Dhyan Chand award 2015.
Mergers & Acquisition:
1. Chinese personal computer and smartphone giant Lenovo has roped with electronics contract manufacturer Flextronics to start manufacturing facility in Sriperambudur, near Chennai.
2. Google-run video sharing portal YouTube tied-up with Whistling Woods International (WWI) to set up YouTube Space in Mumbai, a collaboration and production facility for YouTube video creators.
1. With an intention of curbing black money generation the government approved signing and ratification of the Tax information exchange agreements between India and Seychelles.
According to the agreement both the nations will exchange information with each other regarding taxes so as to curb tax evasion and avoidance by its citizens.
2. Central government announced 30 per cent income tax rebate for establishment of new manufacturing plants and machinery in 21 ‘backward’ districts of Bihar.
In order to give boost to economy and to attract new manufacturing units in 21 backward districts of Bihar Finance Ministry announced this special concession for five years under section 32 of the IT Act.
The notified 21 Districts are-
The notified districts include Patna, Nalanda, Bhojpur, Rohtas, Kaimur, Gaya, Jehanabad, Aurangabad, Nawada, Vaishali, Sheohar, Samastipur, Darbhanga, Madhubani, Purnea, Katihar, Araria, Jamui, Lakhisarai, Supaul and Muzaffarpur.
3. Reserve Bank of India granted ‘in-principle’ approval to 11 applicants to start payments banks. The Committee of the Central Board (CCB) of RBI has selected 11 entities among the 41 applicant who has the reach and the technological and financial strength to provide service to the customers and promote government’s initiative of financial inclusion across the country.
The selected applicants are:
- Reliance Industries
- Airtel M Commerce Services
- Tech Mahindra
- Vodafone m-pesa
- Aditya Birla Nuvo
- Department of Posts
- Cholamandalam Distribution Services
- Fino PayTech
- National Securities Depository Ltd (NSDL)
- Sun Pharma.
4. Haryana Chief Minister has signed an MoU with the Connecticut-based firm United Technologies for setting up a facility to manufacture air conditioners in Gurgaon and to expand its operations in Haryana.
5. Prasar Bharti and Digital Television Russia signed a memorandum of understanding for cooperation which will set the stage for a new media era in both the countries.
6. Birla Corporation signed an agreement with French-based Lafarge Group to acquire its Jojobera unit in Jharhkand and Sonadih in Chattisgarh for a sum of 5000 crore rupees.
7. Kerala government signed a MoU with Adani Group led Adani Vizhinjam Port Private Ltd for developing 7525 crore rupees Vizhinjam International Deepwater Multipurpose Seaport near Kovalam beach.
8. The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has barred 59 entities from trading in Bombay Stock Exchange due to alleged manipulation of the stock exchange route for evading taxes.
9. Bharti Airtel Limited tied-up with the Uber Cabs, allowing Uber riders to pay using Airtel’s mobile wallet service Airtel Money. With this partnership, Uber will set up WiFi hotspots in each of its cabs. Uber will pay Airtel for the bandwidth consumed.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Industrial Development Bank of India (IDBI) has appointed Kishor Piraji Kharat as its new Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer.
2. Karnal Singh, an IPS officer of 1984 batch of union territories cadre, was assigned the additional charge of Director of Enforcement Directorate (ED).
3. Union Government has appointed Ashwani Lohani as Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of state owned national carrier Air India Ltd
4. Noted academician and former Vice-Chancellor of the Jammu University Amitabh Mattoo was appointed as Advisor to Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) Chief Minister (CM) Mufti Mohammad Sayeed. Mattoo will have the status of a Cabinet Minister.
5. Ranil Wickremesinghe sworn in as Prime Minister of Sri Lanka.
Science & Technology:
1. India’s largest private sector lender ICICI Bank has launched ‘Smart Vault’ first of its kind fully automated digital locker facility in India.
2. India’s largest banking entity State Bank of India (SBI) launched a Mobile wallet application dubbed as ‘SBI Buddy’.
Key features of SBI Buddy
- Aims at providing convenient and secure digital payment system to its customers.
- It was launched in collaboration with Accenture and Mastercard.
- The application is available in 13 languages with several features including bill payment, all types of ticket bookings for movies, flights, payment and cash transfer among others.
- It also has features like reminders to recharge, bill payments, dues settlement etc.
- At present the app is available only on android based phones and can be downloaded from Google Play Store.
- SBI soon is going to launch this app on Apple App Store.
3. Scientists from United States (US) have successfully grown a replica of a human brain in a laboratory dish.
This medical breakthrough research was undertaken team of researchers from Ohio State University led by Professor Rene Anand.
4. Government launched a web-based portal www.vidyalakshmi.co.in for the students seeking educational loans.
In order to ensure that no student misses out on higher education due to lack of funds, finance minister in the Union Budget for 2015-16 had proposed to set a fully IT-based Student Financial Aid Authority.
5. Scientists from United States have discovered a way to take carbon dioxide (CO2) from the air and convert it into valuable manufacturing material carbon nanofibres (CNFs).
6. India’s second largest IT services company Infosys launched Aikido, three enhanced service offerings in design thinking, platforms and knowledge-based IT (KBIT).
AIkido services are aimed at helping its clients address three key aspects of their business. The three service offerings are Ki in Knowledge-Based IT, Do in Design Thinking, and Ai in Platforms.
7. National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) spacecraft LADEE (Lunar Atmosphere and Dust Environment Explorer) confirmed the presence of Neon gas in Moon’s atmosphere.
1. World Humanitarian Day was observed on 19 August 2015 with the theme inspiring the World’s Humanity.
The theme calls on people to join any of the world’s humanitarian organizations and become an active messenger of Humanity.
1. Uttar Pradesh Minister of State (MoS) for Parliamentary Affairs Chitranjan Swarup passed away in Delhi. He was 70 and died after a prolonged illness.
2. Renowned Malayalam actor Paravoor Bharathan passed away in Kochi, Kerala. He was 86 and was suffering from age-related ailments since 2009.
3. India’s First Lady Suvra Mukherjee, wife of President Pranab Mukherjee passed away in New Delhi. She was 74.
4. Eminent Sanskrit Scholar and Indologist NR Varhadpande passed away on 21st August 2015 in Nagpur following age related issues. He was 94.