Update your IQ with the GK Eduwrap Weekly Edition, loaded with GK updates & Current Affairs. Now confidently crack IBPS, SSC’s Current Affairs Section !!
National – Across the India:
1. Ahmedabad to host African Development Bank Meet next year.
The meeting is all set to be held at Mahatma Gandhi Convention Centre, Ahmedabad.
Governors, Alternate Governors, Executive Directors, policy makers and businesses will take part in it.
2. Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launched the ‘Swachhta Saptah’.
The motive was to spread wider awareness on sanitation and cleanliness in rail premises and make hygiene a habit amongst the traveling public.
3. M/O Tourism Observes “Swachhta Pakhwada”.
The Ministry of Tourism is observing cleanliness related themes based fortnight (Swachhta Pakhwada) during the period from 16th to 30th September 2016.
4. Charkhi Dadri is Haryana’s 22nd district.
Haryana chief minister Manohar Lal Khattar announced a district status for Dadri, the biggest subdivision in the state, increasing the district count of Haryana to 22 from 21.
5. Government to expand DBT (Direct Benefit Transfer) to 147 schemes by next March.
By this government wish to achieve accurate targeting of beneficiaries, weed out duplication, curb leakages and bring efficiency in delivery process to help control expenditure and bring greater accountability and transparency.
6. 27 new cities selected under Centre’s Smart Cities mission.
Now the complete number of Smart Cities selected rises to 60.
7. Punjabi version of PM Narendra Modi’s website launched.
8. Incredible India Tourism Investors Summit
Incredible India Tourism Investors Summit (IITIS) 2016 has begun in New Delhi after it was inaugurated by Union Finance Minster Arun Jaitley.
9. Indira Awas Yojana Renamed After Prime Minister.
It will be subsumed by the Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana from April 1, 2017.
10. Government merges Railway Budget with Union Budget.
11. Niti Aayog chalks up the plan to secure 50 medals in 2024 Olympics.
Niti Aayog has devised a short-term and medium-to-long term action plan to help India achieve 50 medals in 2024 summer Olympics.
12. Mukesh Ambani tops Forbes’ 100 Richest Indians list.
13. GST council sets exemption threshold for tax at Rs.20 lakh.
International – Across the Globe:
1. China, Russia conduct joint naval exercises Joint Sea-2016 in the South China Sea.
The naval exercise will be held from 13th to 19th September 2016.
2. First Indian music & dance festival “Confluence: Festival of India” starts in Sydney.
The festival aimed to showcase the country’s rich and diverse culture was kicked off in iconic Sydney Opera House.
3. China and Russia have carried out joint naval exercises dubbed as Joint Sea-2016 in the resource-rich South China Sea (SCS) off China’s southern Guangdong province.
4. India ranks 112th in 2016 World Economic Freedom Index.
5. Oxford tops the list as the world’s leading university.
The list was released by the Times Higher Education world rankings.
6. India-Russia Joint Military Exercise Indra-2016 Begins in Vladivostok.
1. Indian shooter Subhankar Pramanick wins gold at ISSF Junior World Cup in Azerbaijan.
He won the gold medal in the 50-metre rifle prone event with overall 205.5 scores to finish top of the podium.
2. Davis Cup: Spain beat India 5-0.
Host India was routed by Spain 0-5 in the Davis Cup World Group Play-off tie.
3. Deaf shooter Priyesha Deshmukh wins bronze in World Championship.
She won the medal in 1st World Deaf Shooting Championships.
It was her first Championship.
4. Ritu Rani retires from international hockey.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Eminent Malayalam critic and academician Dr. M Leelavathi has been chosen for the prestigious N. Mohanan Suvarna Mudra Award 2016.
She was awarded for her contributions to Malayalam language and literature, a release said here today.
2. West Bengal to confer Bangabibhushan award to Lata Mangeshkar.
3. Shubha Mudgal to get ‘Lalit Arpan Samman’.
4. Adi Godrej conferred with 10th Clinton Global Citizen Award.
He is the Chairman of Mumbai-based Godrej Group.
He is awarded for leadership in business and philanthropy.
5. Himachal Pradesh wins Better Performing Project Award 2015.
The state won the award for development of infrastructure in the state.
6. Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi to get the Humanitarian Award.
Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi has been honored as the 2016 humanitarian of the year by students and faculty at the Harvard Foundation.
7. 2016 Right Livelihood Award Announced (Alternative Nobel Prize) was announced on 22 September 2016 in Stockholm, Sweden.
The winners for 2016 are:
Syria Civil Defense (the whitehelmets)
Egyptian feminist activist Mozn Hassan and the Nazra (Feminist Studies)
Svetlana Gannushkina from Russia
Turkish newspaper Cumhuriyet
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. Apple quietly acquires Hyderabad-based AI startup Tuplejump.
This is Apple’s first acquisition in India.
2. Wipro acquires Chinese FMCG brand Zhongshan Ma Er Daily Products Ltd.
This is the Wipro’s 10th acquisition and it took about six years to consummate the deal.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Nadia Murad named UN Goodwill Ambassador.
She survived captivity by ISIS in Iraq to become an activist for her Yazidi people.
2. V K Sharma gets additional charge asChairman of Life Insurance Corporation (LIC).
He is currently serving as Managing Director of LIC.
3. Alka Sirohi former IAS officer appointed UPSC chairman.
She has been appointed in place of Deepak Gupta who demits office on 20th September.
4. Anandi Ramalingam on 16 September 2016 assumed charge as functional/whole time director of Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL).
5. Punjab National Bank appointed Virat Kohli as its new brand ambassador.
The aim is to improve its image which has taken a hit due to rising bad loans.
7. Monika Kapil Mohta appointed Ambassador to Sweden.
8. S. S. Mallikarjuna Rao has taken charge as executive director of Syndicate Bank.
9. India’s High Commissioner to the UK, Navtej Singh Sarna, has been appointed the new Ambassador to the US.
He will succeed the current envoy Arun Singh.
10. Justice Mohan M Shantanagoudar was sworn in as Chief Justice of Kerala High Court at a function held at Raj Bhavan.
11. Justice Girish Chandra Gupta was sworn in as Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court.
12. Ajay Shirke was re-elected unopposed as the secretary of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) at its 87th Annual General Meeting (AGM) here.
BCCI appoints new selection panel with MSK Prasad as Chief Selector.
13. BCCI appoints new selection panel with MSK Prasad as Chief Selector.
14. Madhusudan Sahoo was appointed as chairperson of Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India.
15. The Director of Eenadu I. Venkat was elected as chairman of Audit Bureau of Circulation (ABC) for the year 2016-17.
16. Bangladesh’s Junaid Ahmad new World Bank head in India.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. World Bank will invest nearly 1,000 crore rupees in Assam.
It was for the betterment of the inland waterways.
2. Federal Bank launches Federal Skill Academy at Coimbatore.
3. Andhra Pradesh has emerged on the top among all other states in attracting industrial investments in 2015-16.
AP emerged on top by pushing the previous year’s topper Maharashtra to the third spot.
4. India’s GDP to grow by 8% over next few years: S&P.
Backed by the broadening of domestic consumption base, S&P Global Ratings projected India to clock a “steroid-free” growth of 8 per cent over the next few years.
5. Vijaya Bank has launched three innovative information technology (IT) products, coinciding with Hindi Diwas celebration.
The new IT products are “VPAYQWIK”, “Vijaya *99#” and “V-eConnect+”.
6. Flipkart becomes 1st e-commerce in India to cross 100 million customers.
7. HDFC Bank named India’s most valuable brand.
HDFC Bank Ltd, the largest private sector bank in India, was India’s most valuable brand for the third successive year and emerged on top of the BrandZ Top 50 Most Valuable Indian Brands ranking released by WPP Group and Kantar Millward Brown.
8. Union Cabinet approves Winding up of Hindustan Diamond Company Private Limited.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. The Union Cabinet approval to enact Admiralty (Jurisdiction and Settlement of Maritime Claims) Bill 2016.
The Bill consolidates the existing laws relating to admiralty jurisdiction of courts, admiralty proceedings on maritime claims, the arrest of vessels and related issues.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. India, France ink deal for 36 Rafale fighter jets.
India and France have signed an Inter-Governmental Agreement for the purchase of 36 Rafale fighter jets at a cost of 7.87 billion Euros.
2. Uber partners NSDC, Maruti to skill 1 million by 2018.
Uber has launched a new initiative in partnership with Maruti and National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC), for creating livelihood opportunities for one million people by 2018.
3. Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) has signed a contract with German company DST.
It was to design vessels suited to navigate the 1620 km stretch of National Waterway (NW-1).
4. Bombay Stock Exchange has partnered with Twitter.
The aim is to provide live updates of S&P BSE Sensex levels, stock prices and opening and closing figures of Sensex companies to millions of investors.
5. Andhra Bank ties up with Cigna TTK & Reliance General Insurance.
The tie-up with both the insurance companies will immensely benefit the customers by providing alternatives in choosing products.
Science & Technology:
1. All India Radio Launches Balochi Website, Mobile App.
It was launched to enable people of Balochistan settled across the world listen to Balochi content from India.
2. Guided missile destroyer ‘Mormugao‘ launched in Mumbai.
3. HRD Minister inaugurates Super Computer PARAM-ISHAN at IIT Guwahati.
4. India successfully test-fires surface-to-air missile “Barak 8”.
It was jointly developed by India’s Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) and Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) manufacturer.
It can identify and hit an air target within a range of some 43.5 miles.
5. World’s largest solar power plant commissioned at Kamudhi, Ramanathapuram (Tamil Nadu).
The plant was installed by Adani Green Energy, a part of the Adani Group.
It has an installed capacity of 648MW.
6. Scientists successfully grow three-dimensional lungs in lab using stem cells.
The 3D lungs or organoids was created by coating tiny gel beads with lung-derived stem cells and then allowing them to self-assemble into the shapes of the air sacs found in human lungs.
7. MIT scientists develop new technique to find signs of life on Mars.
Scientists from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) US have developed a novel spectroscopic technique to find signs of present or former extraterrestrial life on the Mars.
1. International Day of Peace was observed on 21st September.
The day is also known as World Peace Day.
It is dedicated to world peace, and specifically the absence of war and violence.
Important Abbreviation Used In This Article
|DBT||Direct Benefit Transfer|
|IITIS||Incredible India Tourism Investors Summit|
|LIC||Life Insurance Corporation|
|BEL||Bharat Electronics Limited|
|BCCI||Board of Control for Cricket in India|
|ABC||Audit Bureau of Circulation|
|NSDC||National Skill Development Corporation|
|IWAI||Inland Waterways Authority of India|
|DRDO||Defense Research and Development Organization|
|IAI||Israel Aerospace Industries|
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images