Update your IQ with the GK Eduwrap Weekly Edition, loaded with GK updates & Current Affairs. Now confidently crack the IBPS, SSC’s Current Affairs Section.
1. Maharashtra Government has declared drought-like condition in 14,708 villages of the state’s total 43,000 villages.
This means the drought covers 34% of the state.
2. Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare modified National Blood Policy, 2002 to identify two major initiatives towards better utilization of blood and blood components.
The first is permitting the transfer of blood from one blood bank to another in case of shortage.
The second is fixing an exchange value for surplus plasma available at some blood banks in the country.
3. The book titled Smita Patil: A Brief Incandescence authored by Maithili Rao was launched on 18th October 2015.
4. Union Government has cleared the first batch of projects under the flagship scheme of Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) for 89 cities from 3 states.
5. Union Ministry of Defence has divided erstwhile Maharashtra and Gujarat (MnG) Naval Area into two separate headquarters in order to enhance operational and administrative organizational structure.
6. Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone Amaravati, a new capital city of Andhra Pradesh on the occasion of Dussehra and Vijaya Dashmi.
7. Maharashtra Government has decided to use stringent Maharashtra Control of Organized Crime Act (MCOCA) law against the hoarders and black marketers.
1. North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) has launched Trident Juncture Military Exercise in Italy to test the alliance’s ability to respond to new security threats.
2. Pakistan and Russia have signed a major agreement to build a 1,100-km North-South gas pipeline from Lahore to Karachi.
In this project, Russia will invest 2 billion dollars and it will be built by Russian company RT Global Resources, a subsidiary of Russian state corporation Rostec.
3. Britain has signed a landmark nuclear deal with China to build the United Kingdom’s first nuclear power plant since the 1980s.
The landmark deal was signed in London during the official visit of Chinese President Xi Jinping.
The agreement is considered as the first major Chinese investment in Western nuclear facility.
4. Autobiography of Sam Pitroda named Dreaming Big: My Journey to Connect Indiahas been released.
The autobiography describes the journey of Satanarayan Gangaram Pitroda (famously known as Sam Pitroda), who is known as father of Indian telecommunication revolution.
5. China’s top two nuclear power companies, China General Nuclear Power Group (CGN) and China National Nuclear Corporation announced that they plan to combine their technologies in the country’s flagship third-generation reactor Hualong 1.
6. A study of the United Nations released observed that Indian women are facing inequality at all stages of life cycle-from birth to old age-and in all places whether at home or in larger society.
The observation was made in the report entitled The World’s Women 2015: Trends and Statisticswhich is an update of the statistics on the situation of women and men around the world.
1. Ace Indian cricketer Virender Sehwag has announced his retirement from international cricket.
2. China’s Xuerui Li has won the prestigious 2015 Denmark Open Badminton Title in the women’s single category.
3. Great Britain won the 2015 Sultan of Johor Cup under-21 field hockey tournament by defeating defending champions India.
4. Novak Djokovic won 2015 Shanghai Rolex Masters tennis title.
5. India’s ace tennis player Saketh Myneni has won the 2015 Vietnam Open trophy.
6. South Korea’s Seong-Jin Chohas won the prestigious 17th international Frederic Chopin Piano competition.
7. First World Indigenous Games started in Brazil on 23rd October 2015 in the northern Brazilian city of Palmas. The game will end on 31 October 2015.
8. Former South African all-rounder Jacques Kallis was appointed as the Head Coach of the Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) team.
9. Former Indian captain and leg spinner Anil Kumble was named as the brand ambassador of the Raipur Rangers – one of the franchises of Champions Tennis League (CTL).
Awards & Recognition:
1. Model-actress Urvashi Rautelawas crowned as Yamaha Fascino Miss Diva 2015at a star-studded event in Mumbai.
2. The Union Government named veteran sports administrator Vijay Kumar Malhotraas the President of the All India Council of Sports.
3. India was among the top 10 investors in the USA in 2015.
It was revealed by the Cross Border Merger & Acquisition Index of Baker & McKenzie.
4. Pope Francis canonized the parents of St. Therese Lisieux- Louis and Zelie Martin at a special ceremony held at the St. Peter’s Square in Vatican. With this, they became the first couple to be canonized in modern times.
5. ET Awards 2015: Uday Kotak wins Business Leader of the Year award.
6. Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe has been awarded 2015 Confucius Peace Prize by China.
The Prize is dubbed as Chinese equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.
7. Noted criminologist K Chockalingam has been conferred with the prestigious 2015 Paul H Appleby Award.
8. An Indian short film, An Old Dog’s Diary has won prestigious Best Short Film Award at the 2015 London Film Festival (LFF).
The award was bestowed by the British Film Institute (BIF) at 59th edition of LFF.
Mergers & Acquisition:
1. India’s second largest software services exporter Infosys Ltd announced a definitive agreement to acquire Noah Consulting, LLC.
2. Reliance Capital Asset Management (RCAM) has announced to acquire global giant Goldman Sachs’ mutual fund business in India.
3. Gujarat-based Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone (APSEZ) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with India Pulses and Grains Association (IPGA) to handle import and exports of pulses across its ports in the country.
1. Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has allowed banks to fix their own interest rates on gold deposits under the Gold Monetisation Scheme.
2. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Central Bank of United Arab Emirates (UAE) on Supervisory Cooperation and Exchange of Supervisory Information.
3. Union Government raised the basic customs duty on wheat to 25 percent from 10 percent.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Canada’s Liberal Party leader Justin Trudeau was elected as the Prime Minister of Canada.
2. Maharashtra government has appointed Shreehari Aney as the Advocate General (AG) of the state as per provisions of Article 165 of Constitution.
3. All India Football Federation (AIFF) appointed the former India Football captain Baichung Bhutia as the advisor for overall issues of the game and the Federation.
4. Senior IAS officer Alok Rawat became first male person to be appointed as member of National Commission for Women (NCW).
5. Samardeep Subandh has been appointed as Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) of homegrown e-commerce giant Flipkart.
6. Former Delhi High Court judge Reva Khetrapal has been selected as Delhi’s new Lokayukta.
7. Justin Trudeau of Liberal Party has been elected as 23rd Prime Minister of Canada.
8. Nasser Khan Janjua has been appointed as the new National Security Advisor (NSA) of Pakistan.
9. E-commerce firm Snapdeal appointed Anup Vikal as its Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
Science & Technology:
1. Konkan Railway to setup a tunnel technology institute at Margao in goa.
2. Powerful Typhoon Koppu has hit the northern Philippines with powerful winds of 240 kph speed.
The eye of tropical cyclone Koppu has struck the remote northern coastal town of Casiguran which is 215 kms northeast of Philippines capital city Manila.
3. Telecom Regulatory Authority of Indian (TRAI) has made it mandatory for telecom operators to compensate consumers by Rs.1 for call drops with effect from 1st January 2016.
4. Kumar Mangalam Birla led Aditya Birla Group has launched a new online fashion store Abof.com.
5. Team of Ecuadoran and international scientists have identified a new species of giant tortoise, named Chelonoidis donfaustoi on the Galapagos Islands in Pacific. The tortoise was named after a retired Galapagos park ranger.
1. Every year 17th October is being observed as International Day for the Eradication of Poverty throughout the world.
2. First Car-Free Day was observed in Delhi on 22nd October 2015 to encourage the people to use public transport instead of using their cars.
1. Egyptian novelist and journalist Gamal al-Ghitani passed away in Cairo, Egypt. He was 70.
2. Renowned Kannada filmmaker Kikkeri Shamanna Lakshminarayana Swamy (KSL Swamy) passed away in Bengaluru, Karnataka. He was 77.
3. Ashwini Kumar, International Olympic Committee (IOC) honorary member, died. He was 94.
4. Bollywood singer and songwriter Labh Janjua was found dead at his Mumbai residence. He was 56.