Update your IQ with the GK Eduwrap Weekly Edition, loaded with GK updates & Current Affairs. Now confidently crack the IBPS, SSC’s Current Affairs Section!
1. The Union Government has launched inactivated polio vaccine (IPV) injection as part of the global polio endgame strategy in New Delhi.
2. Union Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) has launched Global Initiative of Academic Networks (GIAN) Scheme to boost the quality of higher education in India through International Collaboration.
About Global Initiative of Academic Networks (GIAN) Scheme
GIAN Scheme aims at Facilitating participation of high quality international academicians for delivering short-term courses and programs in Indian institutions.
Initially 500 international faculties will be engaged in conducting courses and later in subsequent years 1000 faculties would be engaged under GIAN throughout India.
Under this scheme, academicians will cover 13 disciplines and 352 courses to be taught in 68 national institutions.
These courses will vary in duration from one to three weeks depending on the subject and will be free for students of the host institution and available for nominal fees for others.
These courses will be webcasted live for students across the country through web portal gian.iitkgp.ac.in designed by IIT Kharagpur.
3. Jharkhand government has declared the entire state as drought hit in view of less rainfall in 2015 monsoon season and loss of crops.
4. India has been ranked 131 out of 167 nations on ICT Development Index (IDI) that measures the level of information and communication technology access.
Top three countries in IDI 2015: South Korea, Denmark and Iceland.
5. Goa Government has launched the National Food Security Act (NFSA), 2013 to benefit more than one third of the state’s population.
It will bring more than one third population of the coastal state into legal entitlements of existing food security programs and schemes of Central Government.
6. The Union Cabinet has approved proposal of setting up of 6 new Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) across the country.
The 6 new IITs would be set up in Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Goa, Jammu and Kashmir, Kerala and Karnataka.
7. Union Government has released a commemorative postage stamp to mark the Centenary year of Zoological Survey of India (ZSI).
8. The World Health Organization released its first ever report on foodborne diseases.
The report provides the first estimates of global foodborne disease incidence, mortality, and disease burden in terms of Disability Adjusted Life Years (DALYs).
9. Union Minister of Finance, Arun Jaitley, and Minister of Social Justice & Empowerment, Thaawarchand Gehlot launched Accessible India Campaign or Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan.
Accessible India Campaign is a nationwide campaign that aims at enabling persons with disabilities to gain universal access, equal opportunity for development, independent living and participation in all aspects of life in an inclusive society.
10. Allahabad High Court in its judgment has made married daughters of deceased government employees eligible for appointments on compassionate grounds in government jobs.
11. Uttar Pradesh Government has launched International festival on Birds to promote state as an international bird-watching destination.
The first-of-its-kind festival was inaugurated by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav at the National Chambal Sanctuary (NCS).
12. The Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekarreleased the India State of Forest Report (ISFR) 2015.
The report states that India’s forest and tree cover has been increased by 5081 sq km.
The total forest and tree cover is 79.42 million hectare, which is 24.16 percent of the total geographical area.
While the total forest cover of the country has increased by 3775 sq km, the tree cover has gone up by 1306 sq km.
1. For the first time in history of make dominated country, Saudi Arabia, women were allowed to vote and become candidates in local elections.
2. India and Francelaunched the International Solar Alliance in Paris.
Highlights of the alliance
It aims to bring 121 tropical countries together to tap solar energy.
The Alliance will enable solar-rich developing countries to make the best use of an abundant, free natural resource.
It seeks to share collective ambitions to reduce the cost of finance and technology that is needed to deploy solar power widely.
It would adapt the generation and storage technologies to the individual countries’ needs.
Among the tasks that the Alliance would pursue are, cooperation in training, building institutions, regulatory issues, common standards, and investment including joint ventures.
3. World leaders launched Mission Innovation for accelerating clean energy revolution across the world.
The mission was launched by 20 participating countries, including India, at the United Nations Climate Change Conference 2015 (COP21) in Paris-Le Bourget, France.
4. International Monetary Fund (IMF) has included China’s Yuan into its elite reserve currency basket mainly used as an international reserve asset.
5. China hosted the first Brazil-Russia-India-China-South Africa (BRICS) media summit in Beijing for creating an alternative media platform for the 5 emerging economies.
6. Chinese President Xi Jinping has announced a 60 billion dollars package to African nations during the Forum on China-Africa Cooperation (FOCAC) held in Johannesburg, South Africa.
The package will benefit Africa in 10 major areas (sectors) such as-
Industry, infrastructure, agriculture, financial services, trade and investment facilitation, green development, poverty reduction and public welfare, public health, peace and security and people-to-people exchanges.
With this package, China is seeking to expand its investments in resource-rich Africa which can help it to absorb its excess manufacturing capacity.
It is also consider as part of its efforts to re-engage with the continent and integrate it within its ambitious One Belt and One Road (OBOR) and Maritime Silk Route connectivity framework.
1. Former Indian Test Captain and ace spinner Anil Kumble has resigned as the Chief Mentor of Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise Mumbai Indians with an immediate effect.
2. Polish professional footballer Robert Lewandowski’s nine-minute, five-goal haul for German Football Club Bayern Munich against Wolfsburg was officially recognized by Guinness World Record.
3. India’s Thakur Anoop Singh won gold medal in the 7th WBPF World Bodybuilding and Physique Championships.
He won the medal in the fitness physique category.
4. The November edition of the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Rankings was released on 3rd December 2015.
Top 10 teams in November 2015 edition
Belgium – 1st Position
Argentina – 2nd Position
Spain – 3rd Position
Germany – 4th Position
Chile – 5th Position
Brazil – 6th Position
Portugal – 7th Position
Columbia – 8th Position
England – 9th Position
Austria – 10th Position
Awards & Recognition:
1. Hinduja Brothers were honored with the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award at the annual Asian Business Leadership Forum (ABLF) Series in Dubai.
2. President Pranab Mukharjee presented Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam IGNITE awards 2015 to a total of 40 school students of 27 districts from 18 states.
3. The Delhi Development Authority (DDA) was awarded with the E-India Award for adopting technology to serve the public better and using resources efficiently through mobile applications.
4. Renowned violinist Lakshminarayana Subramaniam will be honored with the Sangeet Samman at the ITC Sangeet Sammelan 2015 beginning on 4th December 2015 at the Victoria Memorial Hall, Kolkata.
5. Pulin Kumar, Group Senior Legal and Compliance Director of Adidas India was conferred with the Indian National Bar Association’s (INBA) General Counsel of the year 2015 – Retail Award in New Delhi.
6. Himachal Pradesh became the first state of India to launch Rotavirus vaccination project.
The vaccine will help in controlling the child mortality rate (under five years of age) due to diarrhea.
Mergers & Acquisition:
1. Tata Sons Ltd tied-up with Industrial & Commercial Bank of China Limited (ICBC) by signing a banking agreement.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Indian banker Som Subroto was appointed as the Executive Vice President and Head of Retail Banking in the Mashreq’s Banking Group.
2. Sir Venkatraman Ramakrishnan assumed Presidency of the Royal Society in London.
3. Senior Janta Dal United (JDU) leader Vijay Kumar Chaudhary has been elected as new Speaker of Bihar legislative assembly.
4. Justice Tirath Singh Thakur sworn in as 43rd Chief Justice of India.
5. Indian-American Dr. Vijay M Rao was named as the chairperson of the prestigious Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) Board of Directors.
1. Indian Railways has signed 40,000 crore rupees contracts with General Electrics (GE) and Alstom to set up two locomotive plants in Bihar.
2. Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in its fifth bi-monthly monetary policy review has maintained status quo in key policy interest rate.
The key policy interest rates were kept unchanged on the basis of an assessment of the current and evolving macroeconomic situation in the country.
3. As per latest report published by credit rating agency Brickwork Ratings, Maharashtra is the biggest economy among the states in India.
Maharashtra accounts for 16.87 lakh crore rupees in terms of gross state domestic product (GSDP) and is followed by Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh.
4. CSO announced that India’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) grew by 7.4 percent in the second quarter (July-September) of 2015-16 financial year compared to the same period during 2014-15.
CSO stands for Central Statistical Office and is a part of the Ministry of Statistics and Program Implementation.
The high growth rate became a possibility due to 10.6 percent registered by Trade, hotels and Transport and communication and services related to broadcasting sectors.
The manufacturing sector also grew by 9.3 percent compared to 7.9 percent in Q2 of FY 2014-15.
With 7.4 percent growth, India continues be the fastest growing large economy in the world in 2015.
In early 2015, India had overtaken China as the world’s fastest growing major economy in the January-March quarter, growing 7.5 per cent against China’s 7 per cent.
India further continued the growth momentum in the April-June quarter with 7 percent.
5. Chief Economic Advisor Dr. Arvind Subramanianled Committee has recommended standard rate for Goods and Services Tax (GST) at 17 to 18 per cent.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. President Pranab Mukherjee has given his assent to Maharashtra Factories (Amendment) Bill, 2015 of Maharashtra government to allow women to work in factories in night shifts.
Key Facts of Bill
The amendment of 67-year old Act also makes mandatory for factory managements to ensure security of women working in night shifts.
Prior to amendment, the section 66(1) (c) of parent Act did not allowed women employees to work in the factories in night shift between from 7 PM and 6 AM.
Apart from this, the amendment bill also enables workers to be eligible for paid leave after working for 90 days in a year instead of the current 240 days or more.
Besides this, the amendment also does not make mandatory for workers to take the management’s permission for working overtime.
In this regard, the amendment bill has increased the working limit to 115 hours from the current 75 in 3 months.
2. President Pranab Mkherjee has given his assent to The Labour Laws (Gujarat Amendment) Bill, 2015.
The Amendment Bill passed by the state assembly to amend 10 Acts dealing with labor laws including The Industrial Disputes Act, 1947 and The Minimum Wages Act, 1948.
3. The Delhi Assembly passed three major education bills – Delhi School Verification of Accounts and Refund of Excess Fee Bill, Delhi School Education (Amendment) Bill (DSEAA), and the Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education (Delhi Amendment) Bill.
4. The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given its approval for introduction of Regional Centre for Biotechnology Bill, 2015.
The bill aims for establishment of a Regional Centre for Biotechnology (RCB) in Faridabad, Haryana and provide a legal status to the Centre.
5. Lok Sabha has passed The Bureau of Indian Standards Bill, 2015.
The Bill seeks to broaden ambit of BIS and empower Union Government to make it mandatory to carry the standard mark for certain notified goods, articles, processes, etc.
6. Delhi Assembly passed the Members of the Legislative Assembly of the National Capital Territory of Delhi (Salaries, Allowances, Pension, etc) (Amendment) Bill, 2015.
The bill seeks around 400 percent hike in the salaries of the MLAs.
7. The Delhi Assembly has unanimously passed the Delhi Jan Lokpal Bill, 2015 for establishment of statutory anti-corruption ombudsman.
The Bill provides powers to Lokpal to act against any government functionary including those of the Centre and in the national capital territory (NCT) of Delhi through its own investigation wing.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. The Union Cabinet has approved an agreement with Germany to expand bilateral cooperation in the field of solar energy between both countries.
2. The Union Cabinet has signed MoU between India and Israel in the field of water resources management and development cooperation.
The bilateral cooperation between both countries will benefit them in strengthening the techniques in efficient use of water, micro-irrigation.
3. Union Cabinet has approved signing and ratification of a protocol between India and Japanfor amending the Double Taxation Avoidance Convention (DTAC).
It aims at avoidance of double taxation and the prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income.
Science & Technology:
1. The first India International Science Festival (IISF)has begun at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)-Delhi campus. It has been organized by Union Ministry of Science and Technology.
The IISF is expected to be the country’s biggest ever Technology and Industrial Expo.
1. Every Years, 1st December is observed as World Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) Dayto raise awareness of the pandemic caused by the spread of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection.
2. The International Day for the Abolition of Slavery was observed globally on 2nd December 2015.
The day is observed to focus on the elimination of human trafficking, child labor and other forms of modern-day slavery.
3. International Day of Persons with Disabilities was observed across the world on 3rd December 2015 with the theme Inclusion matters: access and empowerment for people of all abilities.
4. 44th Navy Day was observed on 4th December 2015.
The occasion saw screening of Navy Telefilm 2015 titled Empowering India through Maritime Security and Indigenization on DD National.
The Navy day is celebrated every year to commemorate the success of Operation Trident of Indian Navy on Karachi Harbour during the 1971 Indo-Pak war.
5. The International Volunteer Day (IVD) was on 5th December 2015 observed across the world with the theme ‘the world is changing’.
1. Russian legendary film Director and screenwriter Eldar Ryazanov passed away in Moscow, Russia. He was 88.
2. Margi Sathi, one of the finest exponents of Koodiyattom and Nangiarkoothu, passed away. She was 50.
3. Veteran industrialist and former parliamentarian MAM Ramaswamy passed away in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. He was 84.