1. Disaster Mitigation conference of member counties of South Asian Association on Regional Cooperation (SAARC) has begun in New Delhi.
2. Union Government has cancelled license of Greenpeace India, a non-profit Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) to receive foreign donations.
3. Punjab Government has established a special MGNREGA cell to coordinate effective implementation of National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme in the state.
This cell will monitor implementation of Union Government’s flagship 100 days employment guarantee scheme of MGNREGA.
It will also monitor the wage rate under MGNREGA which has been fixed by Union Government on the basis of consumer Price Index- Agricultural Laborers (CPI-AL).
4. The Andhra Pradesh Assembly passed the Andhra Pradesh Special Courts Bill, 2015 for the constitution of special courts to facilitate time bound disposal of corruption cases and attachment of assets.
5. Bodrum port city was in news as pathetic images of a three year old boy Aylan Kurdi’s body was seen lying on its shore.
The Aegean Sea is a subdivision of the Mediterranean Sea and lies between Greece in the north and Turkey in the south.
6. The Maharashtra Government gave a nod to an ordinance for amending the Maharashtra Prevention of Dangerous Activities (MPDA) Act, 1981.
7. The term InSPA was in news in the first week of September 2015 as the Union Government is planning to launch the global alliance on solar energy at a conclave in New Delhi.
InSPA stands for International Agency for Solar Policy & Application is expected to be attended by 107 member countries that are located between tropic of cancer and tropic of capricorn including China and Australia.
8. The West-Central Railway (WCR) zone headquartered in Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh has become the first Railway Zone in Indian Railways to eliminate all unmanned level crossings.
9. The Union Cabinet has approved reimbursement of 113 crore rupees for incurring losses on pulses imported by four government agencies between 2006- 2011 period.
These four government agencies are National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India (NAFED), Metals and Minerals Trading Corporation of India (MMTC), State Trading Corporation of India (STC) and PEC.
10. Indian Government partnered with the United Nations’ (UN) Better than Cash Alliance to share success stories from the financial inclusion program Pradhan Mantri Jan-Dhan Yojana (PMJDY).
11. Book titled Globalization, Democratization and Distributive Justicewas presented to Vice President Hamid Ansari.
The book has been authored by Mool Chand Sharma, Professor of Law at Delhi University and presently the Member of 20th Law Commission of India.
12. PHDCCI launched Intellectual Property Rights Facilitation Centre (IPFC) for Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
13. The Minister of Railways Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu launched three IT initiatives developed by Centre for Railway Information Systems (CRIS), IT arm of Ministry of Railways.
These initiatives are-
Paperless unreserved ticketing through mobile phone between New Delhi-Palwal section (nr).
Currency coin cum card operated automatic ticket vending machines at New Delhi railway station.
Mobile application for freight operations (PARICHAALAN).
14. The Supreme Court (SC) of India has stayed Rajasthan High Court’s order declaring Santhara, a Jain ritual of voluntary and systematic fasting to death illegal.
15. Islamic State (IS) militant group has destroyed part of historical Temple of Bel in the ancient site of Palmyra in Syria. The ancient temple was dedicated to the Palmyrene gods and was one of the best preserved parts of the historical sites of Palmyra.
16. Manipur Legislative Assembly has unanimously passed the Protection of Manipur People Bill, 2015 along with other two amendment bills to protect indigenous people of state.
17. Union Government has released 2,000 crore rupees to Employees’ Pension Scheme (EPS), 1995 as its contribution for the year 2015-16.
18. Swachhata Sangraam Abhiyaan was launched in Indore district of Madhya Pradesh.
On the occasion, over 100 public representatives donated 140 toilets for the poor.
19. Allahabad High Court asked Uttar Pradesh government to ensure flag hoisting ceremony of National Flag on Independence Day and Republic Day in Madarsas and other schools all over the state.
20. The Bihar Government decided to give two percent reservation in government jobs to the grand children of freedom fighters.
21. Australian trade minister Andrew Robb said that India has emerged as the 8th largest tourism market for Australia.
In 2014, over 2 lakh Indians visited the nation in and spent about 1 billion dollars which was an increase of 39 percent.
1. India and Australia have agreed to deepen their bilateral defense partnership based on their shared strategic interests by setting up of a joint working group on defense research and material cooperation.
2. India and United Arab Emirates (UAE) have agreed to enhance cooperation in different areas including trade, commerce, energy, defense, space, investments, security and combating Crime.
3. Canada’s economy has fallen into a recession for first time after global financial crisis of 2009.
4. IGAD-Plus brokered Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict in the Republic of South Sudan came into effect.
South Sudan is the youngest nation and came into existence in 2011.
5. The highest mountain of North America was renamed as Denali instead of its existing name Mt McKinley by US President Barack Obama.
1. Four-color logo of Tokyo 2020 Olympics Games was scrapped by Games Organizing Committee.
The logo was scrapped amid allegations by a Belgian graphic designer Olivier Debie that it was plagiarized from his work.
2. Mumbai has won the Buchi Babu Memorial Trophy in the All India invitation cricket tournament.
3. Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports has decided to recognize Yoga as a sports discipline and place it in the Priority category.
4. India won the three-match cricket test series against Sri Lanka, 2-1. In the third and final match of the series, India defeated the host with an emphatic 117-run.
5. The Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) General Assembly on 2 September 2015 selected South African city Durban as the host for the XXII Commonwealth Games.
With this, South Africa became the first country from Africa to host the games in its 85 years history.
6. Marvan Atapattu announced his resignation as head coach of Sri Lanka cricket team. His resignation was accepted by the Sri Lanka’s Cricket Board.
7. Young Indian shooter Apurvi Chandela impressed again as she clinched the silver medal in women’s 10m air rifle event of the ISSF Rifle and Pistol World Cup Finals.
Young Indian shooter Apurvi Chandela impressed again as she clinched the silver medal in women’s 10m air rifle event of the ISSF Rifle and Pistol World Cup Finals.
Awards & Recognition:
1. India has won the UNESCO prize ‘Award of Excellence’ 2015 for the conservation efforts of the Sree Vadakkunnathan Temple in Kerala. The top award was given in the Asia Pacific Heritage Award for Cultural Heritage Conservation.
2. Punjab Government has won first award in the category of highest capacity addition in grid connected solar rooftop power in the country during the financial year 2014-15.
3. Haryana Government has won the Skoch Order-of-Merit national awardfor implementing 6 e-Governance and IT initiatives in the state.
4. Indian-American Pulitzer Prize winner Jhumpa Lahiri has been selected for the prestigious 2014 National Humanities Medal which would be presented to her by US President Barack Obama next week.
Jhumpa, 48, has been selected for the award for enlarging the human story, the White House said on Thursday.
Mergers & Acquisition:
1. Union Government has notified the merger of commodities market regulator Forward Markets Commission (FMC) with Securities Exchange Board of India (SEBI) with an effect from 28 September 2015.
1. Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to issue coins of 5 rupees denomination to commemorate golden jubilee year of Indo-Pak War 1965.
2. Prime Minister Narendra Modi released two commemorative coins of 125 rupees and 10 rupees in the memory of former President Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan.
Modi released the coins at a function of his interaction with the central school students at Zorawar hall, Manekshaw Centre in New Delhi. The interaction session was organised on the eve of Teachers Day, which is celebrated across India on 5 September 2015.
3. State-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) has bought a 15 per cent stake in Russia’s second-largest oil field Vankor from Rosneft for about 1.35 billion US dollars.
In this regard, ONGC Videsh Ltd (OVL) the overseas investment arm of ONGC has signed agreements to buy 15 per cent stake in the Vankor oil field located in East Siberia.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. A K Jha has been given additional charge of interim Chairman & Managing Director (CMD) of National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) Limited.
2. Dinesh Kumar Likhi took charge as the Chairman-cum-Managing Director (CMD) of Mishra Dhatu Nigam Limited (MIDHANI). Prior to this appointment, he was Director (Production & Marketing) of MIDHANI itself.
3. Vinod Dasari was appointed as President of the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM), an automobile industry body. Dasari is the Managing Director of Ashok Leyland.
4. Bazmi Husainwas appointed as Chief Technology Officer (CTO) of ABB India Ltd.
5. Veteran Indian-origin civil servant JY Pillay has been appointed Chancellor of the Singapore Management University (SMU).
Science & Technology:
1. Union Cabinet has approved Marginal Fields Policy (MFP) for the development of unexploited hydrocarbon discoveries by state owned oil companies.
2. India will launch Indonesia’s second multi-spectral remote sensing satellite LAPAN A2/Orari.
The satellite will be launched by Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) from the Satish Dhawan Space Center in Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh.
3. NASA and US Agency for International Development (USAID) have started the SERVIR-Mekong project, to strengthen the environmental monitoring in Southeast Asia region.
It has been launched in the Asian Disaster Preparedness Center in Bangkok, Thailand to serve the 5 countries of the Mekong River Basin viz. Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam.
4. Union Ministry of Urban Development has come out with a Smart National Common Mobility Card (NCMC) model to enable seamless metro travel, shopping.
5. India has decided to join UN-based Better than Cash Alliance with a view to reduce cash transactions in its economy and achieve financial inclusion.
1. Every year in India 5th September is being observed as National Teachers Day.
Significance of Day: This day commemorates the birthday of India’s first Vice President and second President Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan.
This year’s celebration: On occasion of National Teachers Day, Prime Minister Narendra Modi released commemorative coins of 125 rupees and 10 rupees denomination in honor of former President S Radhakrishnan.
1. Former Chief Minister of Goa Dr Wilfred de Souza passed away in Panaji. He was 88.