Update your IQ with the GK Eduwrap Weekly Edition, loaded with GK updates & Current Affairs. Now confidently crack the IBPS, SSC’s Current Affairs Section.
1. Rajasthan Legislative Assembly has passed two bills to provide reservation in educational institutions and government jobs to economically backward classes (EBC) and special backward classes (SBC) including Gurjars.
Two Bills are-
Rajasthan Special Backward Classes Reservation Bill, 2015
Rajasthan Economically Backward Classes Reservation Bill, 2015.
2. Ministry Health and Family Welfarehas released National Health Profile (NHP) 2015, which provides comprehensive information related to health sector.
3. Indian Coast Guard has commissioned two new ships named Fast Patrol Vessel ICGS Apoorva and Interceptor Boat C-421.
The ships were commissioned by Vice Admiral SPS Cheema, Flag Officer Commanding in Chief of Western Naval Command (Mumbai) off the naval dockyard in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
4. Rajasthan Assembly passed the Rajasthan Vexation Litigation Prevention Bill, 2015by voice vote.
The objective of the bill is to prevent filing of baseless cases and to check the misuse of law for personal benefits.
It covers both civil and criminal cases in the high court and subordinate courts. With this Rajasthan became the fifth state in India after Maharashtra, Gujarat, Goa and Madhya Pradesh to pass such legislation.
5. Union Government has given its approval for implementation of Integrated Air Command & Control System (IACCS) project of Indian Air force (IAF) with allocation of 8,000-crore rupees.
IACCS system is an automated command and control system for Air Defense (AD) which integrates different air sensors and radars to protect Indian airspace.
6. Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited Ireland on 23rd September 2015.
He is the first Prime Minister of India to visit Ireland in 59 years.
Last Prime Minister to visit Ireland was Jawahar Lal Nehru in 1956.
7. Telenor Group announced that it had changed its brand identity along with legal company name from Uninor, its subsidiary in India, as Telenor India Communications Pvt. Ltd.
8. National Sample Survey Office (NSSO) released the data of 68th Round on Status of Education and Vocational Training in India.
This report is based on the employment and unemployment survey conducted in the 68th round of NSS during July 2011 to June 2012.
9. The former publisher of Penguin India and editor-in-chief of Random House India, Chiki Sarkar launched her own publishing company, Juggernaut.
Sarkar has founded the company in collaboration with ex-CEO of Web18, Durga Raghunath.
At present, Raghunath is the CEO and co-founder of news portal, Firstpost.
10. Haryana Government increased the pension given to the ex-servicemen or widows of soldiers who took part in World War I and World War II.
The pension has been increased by 1500 rupees.
11. The United National Development Program (UNDP) stated its intention to provide support in implementation of Arunachal Vision 2030 of Arunachal Pradesh.
12. European Union (EU) has imposed a provisional anti-dumping duty of up to 31.2 per cent on imports of sewage and water steel pipes from India for six months to protect its domestic industry.
13. Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Prakash Javadekar released Notification for sustainable sand and minor mineral mining.
The policy seeks forward to strike a balance between increasing demand of sand and sustainable sand mining practices. It may help in achieving the goal of sustainable development.
14. A stampede at Hajj pilgrimage resulted in the deaths of at least 719 pilgrims and injured around 863 people during the annual Hajj in Mecca. Among those 717 dead pilgrims, two were Indians.
15. Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh released a graphic depicting the valour and sacrifice of the CRPF personnel during the battle of Sardar Post, Rann of Kutch in the 1965 lndo-Pak War.
16. The Gujarat High Court ruled that the Prohibition of Child Marriage Act (PCMA), 2006 will also apply to a Muslim person and the act will prevail over personal laws.
The ruling was made by Justice JB Pardiwala.
The ruling held that the Child Marriage Act is a Special Act and it will override the provisions of Muslim Personal Law, Hindu Marriage Act or any personal law.
Justice Pardiwala also observed that sixteen years is not an age for a girl to get married.
1. The Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) has given its approval to a multi-billion dollar deal to purchase Military helicopters from United States aviation giant Boeing.
Under this deal, India will purchase 22 Apache Attack helicopters and 15 Chinook heavy-lift choppers from Boeing.
2. The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Cambodia for bilateral cooperation in the field of tourism.
3. Alexis Tsipras led left-wing Syriza party has emerged as the largest party in the general (snap) elections to the Greece’s Parliament.
In this election, Syriza party won 144 seats in the 300 seat Parliament by securing 35 percent of total votes.
While the Conservative New Democracy Party has emerged second largest party by winning 75 seats and Golden Dawn has emerged third largest party by winning 18 seats.
4. India and Pakistan have agreed to exercise restraint and work to defuse the situation on Line of Control (LoC) which has been witnessing repeated ceasefire violations.
5. The Prime Minister of Australia Malcolm Turnbull announced a package of 70 million US dollar to tackle rising domestic violence in the country and declared violence against women as a national disgrace.
6. The 193-Member United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) formally adopted the Transforming Our World: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development along with a set of bold new Global Goals that are a universal, integrated and transformative vision for a better world.
1. India’s Ajay Jayaram has won silver medal in 2015 Korea Open Badminton tournament in the Men’s singles category.
2. Former Indian Cricket team captain Sourav Ganguly has been appointed as President of Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB).
3. Himachal to host India’s ‘maiden’ paragliding world cup.
4. Government Chawngfiang Middle School of Mizoram won the sub-Junior title of the 56th Subroto Cup International Football Tournament.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Hindustan Times Group chairperson Shobhana Bharatia and PepsiCo Chairman Indra Nooyi have been awarded 2015 Global Leadership Award of the US-India Business Council (USIBC).
2. Don Mohanlal, an Indian School of Business (ISB) alumnus, figures among the top 100 Global Influential Leaders awarded by AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business).
3. Dr. P Sivakumar has been elevated as Distinguished Scientist with immediate effect by the Union Defence Ministry Ministry.
He has been promoted in recognition of his diligence and dedication in self-reliance effort for defence combat vehicle systems and sub-systems.
4. Eminent Urdu litterateur Shamim Hanfi was conferred with inaugural Jnangarima Manad Alankaran award of Bharatiya Jnanpith.
5. Mukesh Ambani has been named as India’s richest person for ninth consecutive year in a row with a net worth of 18.9 billion dollars in the 2015 Forbes magazine’s India rich list.
6. Marathi film ‘Court’ has been selected as India’s official entry to the Best Foreign Language category of the 88th Academy Awards 2016 (popularly known as Oscars).
7. Eminent Hindi writer Dr. Kamal Kishore Goenka has been conferred with prestigious 24th Vyaas Sammanfor year 2014.
He was bestowed with this award in recognition of his work ‘Premchand ki Kahaniyon ka Kaal Kramanusaar Adhyayan’.
8. The Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) has been awarded SKOCH Award for Smart Governance.
Mergers & Acquisition:
1. Sterlite Technologies acquires Elitecore Technologies for INR 180 crore.
This acquisition widens Sterlite’s telecom portfolio of offerings to its global customers.
2. Paytm invests $10 mn in logistics data startup LogiNext.
3. The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has inked a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Sports Ministry of China to crack down on the supply and manufacture of performance-enhancing drugs (PEDS) in the country.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Sherif Ismail has sworn-in as the new Prime Minister of Egypt.
He was administered oath to the office by President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi.
2. Yudhvir Singh Malik, who presided over the ban of Nestlé India’s Maggi noodles as chief executive officer of the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) in June, has been transferred to NITI Aayog.
3. Matthias Muller was appointed as the Chief Executive Officer of Volkswagen Group. He replaced Martin Winterkorn.
4. Michel Kafando was reinstated as the president of Burkina Faso in the capital Ouagadougou.
5. The Union Government decided to appoint Arvind Panagariya, Vice President of NITI Aayog, as the Sherpa for the 2015 G-20 Summit.
6. The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) appointed new Indian envoys to Pakistan, China, the United Kingdom (UK) and the United Nations (UN) in a major reshuffle.
These appointments are-
Navtej Sarna: Secretary (West) in the Ministry.
Gautam Bambawale: India’s Ambassador to Bhutan will take over as High Commissioner to Pakistan.
Syed Akbaruddin: Additional Secretary in-charge of Indo-Africa.
Vijay Gokhale: India’s Ambassador to Germany will be the Ambasador to China.
Anil Wadhwa: Ambassador to Rome.
Pankaj Saran: Ambassador of Moscow.
Harsh V Shringla: High Commissioner to Bangladesh.
Sujan Chinoy: Ambassador to Japan and replace Deepa Wadhwa.
7. Rear Admiral Sanjay Mahindru took charge as Flag Officer Submarines.
8. Shivinder Mohan Singh resigned as the executive vice-chairman of Fortis Healthcare Limited. Fortis is a New Delhi based hospital chain.
He will be designated as non-executive vice-chairman of Fortis with effect from 1st January 2016.
He resigned from the position as he decided to take up full-time sewa at the Radha Soami Satsang Beas (RSSB), a philosophical organization spread over 90 countries worldwide.
Science & Technology:
1. The social media giant has rebranded its internet access enabling platform internet.org as Free Basics byFacebook.
2. The Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) successfully completed one year of the mission life around Mars with a large data set acquired by all five payloads of MOM.
On the occasion, Space Applications Centre of (ISRO), Ahmedabad launched a Mar Atlas.
The Atlas contains a compilation of images acquired by Mars Colour Camera (MCC) and results obtained by other payload results in a form of scientific atlas.
3. China has successfully launched a newly-developed smaller version of carrier rocket Long March-6 as part of the country’s space program. It was launched from the base in the Northern Province of Shanxi and was carrying 20 micro satellites into the space.
1. Every year September 21is being observed as International Day of Peace across the world.
The theme for the year 2015 is Partnerships for Peace- Dignity for All.
1. Revered monk of the Hindu monastic order, Swami Dayanand Saraswati, died in his ashram in Rishikesh. He was 85 years old.
2. Baseball legend Lawrence Peter “Yogi” Berra died at his home in New Jersey. He was 90.
3. Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) President Jagmohan Dalmiya passed away in Kolkata, West Bengal. He was 75.
4. British-American romance novelist Jackie Collins passed away in California, United States. She was 77 and died due to stage 4 breast cancer.