Update your IQ with the GK Eduwrap Weekly Edition, loaded with GK updates & Current Affairs. Now confidently crack the IBPS, SSC’s Current Affairs Section !!
National – Across the India:
1. India’s first Commercial Court and Commercial Disputes Resolution Centre was inaugurated at Raipur, capital of Chhattisgarh.
It was inaugurated by State Chief Minister Dr. Raman Singh along with Supreme Court judge Madan B. Lokur.
It has ultra-modern facilities like e-Court, e-Library, e-Filing, Video-conferencing and e-Summons.
2. Punjab Government has launched Rapid Rural Police Response System (RRPRS).
The aim is to ensure prompt and effective police response in 12,000 villages across the state.
Click to download Daily, Weekly and Monthly Current Affairs !!
3. Nineteen new Ministers of State (MoS) were inducted in the Union Council of Ministers in a major expansion.
These new ministers were administered oath of office and secrecy by President Pranab Mukherjee at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
This was the second expansion of the NDA government led by PM Narendra Modi. Of the 19 new ministers, 17 are from the BJP, one each from Apna Dal and RPI.
4. The Jawaharlal Nehru Port (JNPT) at Nhava Sheva in Raigad District of Maharashtra has become the first port in India to implement logistics data bank tagging system of containers.
The first of its kind system has been launched as part of ‘Ease of Doing Business’ initiatives implemented at JNPT Port.
It focuses on document, time and cost reduction for the benefit of trade.
5. India is going to host meet of the heads of anti-narcotics agencies of BRICS nations to discuss issues related to narco-terrorism and money laundering.
This meet will be held ahead of the eighth annual Summit of BRICS (Brazil-Russia-India-China-South Africa nations scheduled in October 2016.
6. The Union Cabinet has approved a National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme (NAPS).
It will provide apprenticeship training to over 50 lakh youngsters in order to create more jobs.
It also have an outlay of 10,000 crore rupees and a target of training 50 lakh apprentices by 2019-20.
7. The Union Cabinet has approved a long-term contract with Mozambique for import of pulses by signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
It aims to promote the production of Tur (Pigeon Peas) and other pulses in Mozambique by encouraging progressive increase in the trading of these pulses.
8. The Union Cabinet has given its in-principle approval for setting up a Major port at Enayam near Colachel in Tamil Nadu.
On completion the port will become country’s 13th major port.
The project seeks to make India a trans-shipment hub for the global East-West maritime trade route.
9. The second anti-drug working group meeting of heads of anti-narcotics agencies of BRICS countries began in New Delhi.
It was held to discuss issues related to narco-terrorism and money laundering.
It has been organised by the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) of India.
10. Agriculture Minister has launched an online portal designed to monitor the functioning of nearly 645 Krishi Vigyan Kendras (KVKs), known as farm-science centres, spread across the country.
It will provide information related to all schemes, market development, and weather updates, besides advisory to farmers.
It will also facilitate online monitoring of KVKs.
11. As per Union Minister Narendra Singh Tomar, the government will carry out a drive to clean ten iconic places in the country as part of a pilot project under the Swachh Bharat mission.
The places which have been selected are as follows: -
1. Vaishno Devi temple (Jammu and Kashmir)
2. Taj Mahal (Uttar Pradesh)
3. Tirupati temple (Andhra Pradesh)
4. Golden Temple (Punjab)
5. Ajmer Sharif (Rajasthan)
6. Jagannath temple (Orissa)
7. Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (Maharashtra)
8. Manikarnika Ghat (Uttar Pradesh)
9. Meenakshi Temple (Tamil Nadu)
10. Kamakhya Temple (Assam)
Aspiring to get a career by cracking UGC NET Exam? Get Tips & Tricks Here !!
International – Across the Globe:
1. The second BRICS Youth Summit was held in Guwahati, Assam from 1st July 2016 to 3rd July 2016.
The theme of the summit was “Youth as bridge for intra-BRICS exchanges“.
The summit focused on enhancing people-to-people contacts of BRICS member states viz. Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
It also adopted the ‘Guwahati BRICS Youth Summit 2016 Call to Action’ and urged the youth from the five member nations to come together for working towards this goal.
2. The world’s largest Charkha was unveiled at the Terminal 3 of the Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGI) in New Delhi.
It was unveiled by the Union Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Minister Kalraj Mishra to remind India’s timeless heritage and the values of sustainability and harmony that it stands for.
It is made from high-quality Burma teak wood. It weighs four-tones and is 9 feet wide, 17 feet tall and 30 feet long.
3. India has set up an apparel training centre in Nigeria to support textiles industry of the West African country.
This is a first of its kind centre in Nigeria set up in partnership with their government.
The aim is to support and catalyze the initiative of Nigeria in realising the objectives to rebuild the cotton and textile value chain and address the need for the skilled workforce for domestic as well export-oriented apparel industry in the West African region.
1. Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton (Great Britain) has won the 2016 Austrian Grand Prix title of Formula One.
It was his third title of the 2016 season.
1st position: Lewis Hamilton (Britain) of Mercedes.
2nd position: Sebastian Vettel (Germany) of Ferrari.
3rd position: Daniel Ricardo (Australia) of Red Bull.
4th position: Felipe Massa (Brazil) of Williams.
5th position: Romain Grosjean (France) Haas.
Top Teams: Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull and William.
2. Gurpreet Singh Sandhu became the first Indian football player to play in UEFA Europa League.
3. B Sai Praneeth, Ace Indian shuttler has won the 2016 Canada Open Grand Prix Badminton title in the men’s singles category.
In the final match played at Calgary Praneeth defeated Lee Hyun II of South Korea by 21-12, 21-10 score.
4. Niranjan Mukundan, Para swimmer has won eight medals at the recently-concluded IWAS (International Wheelchair and Amputee Sports) U-23 World Games held in Prague, Czech Republic.
Of the 8 medal’s Niranjan bagged three gold medals in 50m butterfly, 200m freestyle and 50m breaststroke events.
He won two silver medals in 100m fly and 50m freestyle, and three bronze medals in 100m freestyle, 100m breaststroke and 100m backstroke events.
Feel easy to solve Number System Problems with Eduncle’s Study Tips !!
Awards & Recognition:
1. Lidudumalingani, South African writer, filmmaker and photographer has won the 17th edition of prestigious Caine Prize 2016.
He was bestowed with this prestigious award for his short story “Memories We Lost”.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. Search Giant Google acquired Moodstocks, a startup based out of Paris that develops machine-learning based image recognition technology for smartphones.
Moodstocks’ on-device image recognition software for smartphones will be phased out as it joins Google.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. M V Dhekane, Noted scientist has assumed the office of Director of ISRO Inertial Systems Unit (IISU), Thiruvananthapuram (Kerala).
Earlier he also had held various significant positions in ISRO at VSSV such as Deputy Director, Control, Guidance & Simulation Entity, Chief Controller and Associate Director (R&D).
2. Sudarshan Sen has been as Executive Director of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
He will replace NS Vishwanathan who was elevated as Deputy Governor of RBI.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has warned that United Kingdom’s decision to leave the European Union (EU) has created significant uncertainty.
It will dampen growth in the near term, particularly in the UK, but with repercussions for Europe and the global economy.
IMF predicts that macroeconomic and financial market impacts in the UK and EU due to Brexit will radiate outward across the globe.
2. State Bank of India (SBI) has signed an agreement with the World Bank worth 4,200 crore rupees ($625 million).
The aim is to support its grid connected rooftop solar photovoltaic (GRPV) programme.
The programme also aims at improving the investment climate for solar PV, and increase the ease of doing rooftop business.
3. The State Bank of India (SBI) launched SBI Mingle, a social media banking platform for Facebook and Twitter users.
It will allow SBI’s customers to access various banking services via these social platforms.
To avail services from this platform, customers will have to register for it through a simple one time registration process using either their social account number or their ATM/Debit Card details.
Read the complete list of Past & Present RBI Governors !!
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. The Union Cabinet has given its approval to The High Courts (Alteration of Names) Bill, 2016.
The Bill will change names of the High Courts based on the nomenclature cities they are located.
The Bill facilitates changing of the names of ‘Madras High Court as Chennai High Court’ and ‘Bombay High Court as Mumbai High Court’ respectively.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. The Union Cabinet has approved signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Tanzania in the field of Traditional Systems of Medicine and Homeopathy.
The MoU will facilitate structured frame work for the cooperation between both countries for the promotion of Indian Traditional Systems of Medicine and Homeopathy in Tanzania.
2. The Union Cabinet has approved signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Mauritius in the field of Rural Development and Poverty Alleviation.
The MoU will encourage cooperation between both countries in the field of rural development and capacity building on the basis of equality and mutual benefit.
3. India and Mozambique have signed three Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) in areas of drug trafficking, pulse trading and sports.
These MoUs were signed between two countries at Maputo, Mozambique in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Filipe Nyusi, President of Mozambique.
4. India and South Africa have signed Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) and agreements in four areas of bilateral co-operation.
Signed agreements are:
MoU on Tourism
MoU on Grass root innovation (Science and Technology)
MoU on Information and Communication technology (ICT)
MoU in Programme of Cooperation in Arts and Culture.
Science & Technology:
1. A team of international astronomers for the first time have sighted a Jovian planet orbiting a triple star system.
The planet has been named as HD 131399Ab.
It was sighted by team of astronomers led by University of Arizona using the SPHERE instrument on European Southern Observatory’s (ESO) Very Large Telescope in Chile.
2. NASA’s Juno spacecraft has successfully entered into the orbit of Jupiter on 4th July 2016 and started orbiting solar system’s most massive planet.
The spacecraft was launched by NASA as part of its New Frontiers program in 2011 to study Jupiter’s composition, gravity field, magnetic field, and polar magnetosphere.
Juno will have mission life of 20 months from July 2016 to Feb 2018.
3. The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has given its approval to extend New Horizons mission to investigate a mysterious object deep in the Kuiper Belt.
It will investigate a mysterious object known as 2014 MU69 located deep in the Kuiper Belt.
4. Researchers from the University of Leuven (KU Leuven) in Belgium have built a super-sensitive electronic nose comprising of chemical sensors metal-organic frameworks (MOFs).
It has ability to detect pesticides and nerve gas in very low concentrations by analyzing their chemical makeup.
Click to Download !! Daily, Weekly and Monthly Current Affairs !!
1. Om Prakash Sonik, noted music director passed away in Mumbai, Maharashtra after a brief illness. He was 77.
He was composer part of the Sonik-Omi duo consisting of Master Sonik (a blind music director) and his nephew Omi.
Important Abbreviations used in the Article
|BRICS||Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa|
|NAPS||National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme|
|IWAS||International Wheelchair and Amputee Sports|
|IISU||ISRO Inertial Systems Unit|
|IMF||International Monetary Fund|
|NASA||National Aeronautics and Space Administration|
|ESO||European Southern Observatory’s|
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
Image courtesy: Google Images