Update your IQ with the GK Eduwrap Weekly Edition, loaded with GK updates & Current Affairs. Now confidently crack IBPS, SSC’s Current Affairs Section !!
National – Across the India:
1. 5th September National Teacher’s day.
Observance of this day commemorates the birthday of India’s first Vice President and second President Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan since 1962.
2. Majuli named world’s largest river island Majuli.
Island on the Brahmaputra in Assam was declared the largest river island in the world, toppling Marajo in Brazil, by Guinness World Records.
3. India Post releases commemorative postage stamp on Saint Teresa.
4. Pondy Lt Guv launches Shramdaan movement in remote village
Lt Governor Kiran Bedi launched ‘Shramdaan movement’ as part of Swachh Bharatand Swachh Puducherryinitiative at a remote village.
5. PM to attend 14th ASEAN-India Summit and 11th East Asia Summit at Vientiane, Laos.
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi will be attending 14th ASEAN-India Summit and 11th East Asia Summit at Vientiane, the capital city of Laos from 7 September 2016 to 8 September 2016.
6. WHO certifies India Yaws, Maternal & Neonatal Tetanus free.
India has officially received certificates from World Health Organization (WHO), recognizing the elimination of Yaws and Maternal and Neonatal Tetanus (MNT) from the country.
7. Assam CM inaugurates Asia’s biggest digital library in Silchar.
On the occasion of the 55th Teachers’ Day, Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal inaugurated Asia’s biggest digital library dedicated to the memory of Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, NIT Silchar.
8. Dharmendra Pradhan launches ‘Gas4India‘ campaign to boost natural gas use.
9. DigiLocker Launched to Digitally Store Vehicle Documents.
10. 1st phase of ESIC’s pilot project of telemedicine services inaugurated.
Shri Bandaru Dattatreya, the Minister of State for Labour and Employment inaugurated the first phase of Tele-medicine services of ESIC for providing specialist medical services at a distance to insured workers.
11. IoT (Internet of Things) India Congress, 2016’ began in Bengaluru.
12. Goods and services tax bill get the nod by President Pranab Mukherjee.
13. Mandi and Sindhudurg found to be the Cleanest Districts in India.
14. Govt. approves subsidized chopper service for JK, Himachal.
15. J & K CM Mehbooba launches “CM Scooty Scheme” for girls in J&K.
Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti has launched the ‘CM Scooty Scheme‘ in the state to encourage girls to go to colleges for higher studies.
International – Across the Globe:
1. India, Vietnam Sign 12 Agreements to Boost Bilateral ties.
India and Vietnam have signed 12 agreements for cooperation in areas, including defense and IT, to boost bilateral ties.
2. “Toward an Innovative, Invigorated, Interconnected and Inclusive World Economy”.
The 2016 Group of Twenty (G20) Summit was held in Hangzhou, China from 4th to 5th September 2016
3. WHO certifies Sri Lanka malaria free.
The World Health Organization certified Sri Lanka a malaria-free nation and awarded certificate on 6 September.
4. UN Charter translated into Sanskrit.
The UN Charter, the seminal treaty of the United Nations, has now been translated into Sanskrit.
5. India-Kazakhstan Joint Exercise “PRABAL DOSTYK-16”.
India, Kazakhstan joint bilateral military exercise PRABAL DOSTYK-16 began in Karaganda region of Kazakhstan.
6. India second most unequal country globally after Russia while Japan most equal.
7. Nearly 50 million children uprooted worldwide: UNICEF
8. ASEAN Summit 2016 concludes in Vientiane, Laos.
The 28th and the 29th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Summit concluded on 8 September 2016 at Vientiane, Laos.
9. PepsiCo’s Indra Nooyi only Indian-origin woman in Fortune list.
1. Serena Williams sets women’s record of 307 victories in grand slams.
In the US Open, the American defeated Johanna Larsson of Sweden, 6-2, 6-1 to progress to the pre-quarterfinals and surpass Martina Navratilova’s record of 306 wins.
2. Abhinav Bindra announces retirement from shooting
Abhinav Bindra has officially announced his retirement. The ace shooter felt it was time to move on and let the younger generation take over.
3. 2016 Summer Paralympic Games begins.
The 2016 Summer Paralympic Games began on 7 September 2016 at Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
4. Mariyappan Thangavelu wins India’s first Gold medal at 2016 Rio Paralympic Games.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Mother Teresa is being declared saint by Pope Francis in Vatican City.
The blessing comes on the eve of her 19th death anniversary. Once declared Saint, she will be known as Saint Teresa of Calcutta.
2. JSS Malappuram wins UNESCO literacy award.
The Jan Sikshan Sansthan (JSS), Malappuram, has won the UNESCO Confucius Prize for Literacy in recognition of its literacy-linked skill development activities among the underprivileged in rural areas.
3. LIFFI: Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Tannishtha Chatterjee win Best Actors award.
4. Indian film Thithi wins best film award at BRICS Film Festival.
5. Anjum Chopra, India’s first woman to get MCC membership.
Anjum Chopra has been awarded an honorary life membership of the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC).
6. Honorary doctorate for Mary Kom.
Pranab Mukherjee has given his assent to the proposal to confer an honorary doctorate on Olympic medalist Mary Kom by the North Eastern Hill University.
7. Canara Bank conferred with the Dun & Bradstreet Banking Awards 2016.
8. Haryana wins Best Horticulture State award.
Haryana has won ‘Best Horticulture State’ award of the Indian Council of Food and Agriculture (ICFA).
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Chennamaneni Vidyasagar Rao given additional charge of TN and MP.
According to a Rashtrapati Bhavan statement, Mr Rao has been assigned the additional charge of Tamil Nadu Governor in place of K Rosaiah, who completed his tenure on August 30.
2. Sakshi Malik appointed Wrestling Director of Rohtak University.
The Haryana Government has announced the appointment of Rio Olympics bronze medallist Sakshi Malik as Wrestling Director at Maharshi Dayanand University in her native town Rohtak.
3. The UK appoints the ambassador to Iran for the first time since 2011.
The UK and Iran have appointed ambassadors for the first time since 2011, restoring diplomatic relations.
4. John Abraham roped in as brand ambassador of Arunachal Pradesh.
5. Ex-IAS officer J Satyanarayana appointed part-time UIDAI chief.
Former IAS officer J Satyanarayana was on September 6 appointed as part-time chairperson of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
6. Satbir Singh appointed as next Ambassador of India to Algeria.
7. Jayant Purushottam Gokhale has been appointed the director of Syndicate Bank.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. Infosys sets up JV for Saudi Arabian market.
Infosys Ltd has become the latest Indian IT services company to set up a joint venture with Saudi Prerogative Company (SPC) in Saudi Arabia.
2. Expansion of India – Chile Preferential Trade Agreement (PTA).
An agreement on the expansion of India–Chile Preferential Trade Agreement (PTA) was signed between India and Chile in a meeting held between Ms. Rita Teaotia, Commerce Secretary and Mr. Andrés Barbé González, Ambassador, Embassy of Chile on 6th September 2016.
3. World Bank, BRICS Bank, AIIB to fund Amrut Mission.
World Bank, BRICS Bank, AIIB along with the other various banks will provide credit facility to AMRUT Mission, a mission to transform cities.
4. RBI cancels registration certificate of 5 NBFCs.
Registration certificates of five non-banking financial companies (NBFCs) have been cancelled by The Reserve Bank while two surrendered their certificate to the central bank.
5. ICICI Bank: First bank to introduce Software Robotics for power banking operations.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. India has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Greece.
India has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Greece to allow the unlimited number of flights into each other’s countries and also has initiated the air service agreement for open skies.
Science & Technology:
1. ISRO launched advanced weather satellite INSAT-3DR.
Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) successfully launched advanced weather satellite, INSAT-3DR on 8 September 2016.
1. 8th September- International Literacy Day .
This year, the world is celebrating 50th International Literacy Day. The day was established in 1966 by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
1. World’s oldest cricketer Lindsay Tuckett passes away.
World’s oldest cricketer, Lindsay Tuckett passed away in Bloemfontein at the age of 97.
Important Abbreviations used in this Article
|MNT||Maternal and Neonatal Tetanus|
|ISRO||Indian Space Research Organization|
|IoT||Internet of Things|
|G20||Group of Twenty|
|UNESCO||United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization|
|LIFFI||Lonavla International Film Festival India|
|MCC||Marylebone Cricket Club|
|ICFA||Council of Food and Agriculture|
|SPC||Saudi Prerogative Company|
|PTA||Preferential Trade Agreement|
|NBFCs||Non-Banking Financial Companies|
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images