Update your IQ with the GK Eduwrap Weekly Edition, loaded with GK updates & Current Affairs. Now confidently crack the IBPS, SSC’s Current Affairs Section !!
National – Across the India:
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the new PMO app at a function organised by MyGov in New Delhi.
The app would correspond to the website of the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
2. Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Mission Bhagiratha with an objective to provide safe drinking water to all.
It is a water grid project that aims to provide safe drinking water to all even to remotest places in Telangana.
3. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has released a theme song for Tiranga Yatra to be organised to mark 70 years of Independence Day.
The theme song 70 Saal Azadi Yaad Karo Kurbani has been composed by Dr. Ghazal Srinivas.
4. Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Yaad Karo Kurbani (remember the sacrifices) celebrations at birthplace of freedom fighter Chandra Shekhar Azad at Alirajpur, Madhya Pradesh.
It is 15-day programme aimed to commemorate 75th anniversary of the Quit India Movement (QIM) and 70 years of Independence.
5. Maharashtra Government has launched Quit India 2 Swaraaj to Suraaj Movement against various social ills during commemoration of Platinum Jubilee anniversary of the Quit India Movement.
It was launched by Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis.
6. The Iron Lady of Manipur Irom Chanu Sharmila ended her 16-year-long hunger strike for repealing of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act (AFSPA) of 1958 from Manipur.
7. The Union Government has decided to set up Amitabh Kant Committee to look at easing the policy regime for e-commerce players, including the rules for foreign direct investment (FDI).
The committee will be headed by Amitabh Kant, CEO of NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog.
8. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CEEA) has given its approval for the development of Advanced Ultra Super Critical (AUSC) technology for thermal power plants.
9. Wipro Chairman Azim Premji and HCL co-founder Shiv Nadar are the only two billionaires from India in Forbes’ list of the world’s 100 richest people in technology.
The ‘100 Richest Tech Billionaires in the World 2016′ list has been topped by Microsoft founder Bill Gates with an estimated fortune of USD 78 billion.
Premji ranks 13th on the list with a net worth of $16 billion and Nadar comes in on the 17th spot with $11.6 billion of net worth.
10. Manohar Parikkar, Defence Minister inaugurated the week long “Bharat Parv”.
The programme is organized by the Government of India at the Rajpath Lawns, India Gate (New Delhi).
11. President Pranab Mukherjee has given his nod to set up six new Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) and passed a law regarding the same.
These IITs will be set in places like Jammu, Tirupati, Palakkad (Kerala), Goa, Dharward (Karnataka) and Bhilai (Chhattisgarh).
12. Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal has inaugurated city’s first Sewa Kendra at Ladhewali where people will be able to avail services under one roof.
A total of 2,147 Sewa Kendras has been constructed at a cost of Rs 500 crore.
13. Assam has become the first state to ratify the Goods and Services Tax Constitutional Amendment Bill.
The Centre seeks to roll-out the GST by April 1, 2017.
International – Across the Globe:
1. A nine-member Kathakali dance troupe has performed first time in Egypt.
The Kathakali dance troupe was a part the 14th Summer Festival organized by Bibliotheca Alexandrina.
2. Kerala Tourism has rolled out a promotional campaign in Dubai targeting Arab travellers and showcasing the state’s backwaters and waterfalls on taxis plying in the bustling metropolis, with the onset of the outbound tourism season in the Middle East.
200 Kerala-branded taxis will ferry the message of ‘A Faraway Land Four Hours Away’ – with eye-catching visuals featuring hill stations, backwaters, waterfalls and also Ayurvedic therapies – through the streets of Dubai, the throbbing heart of the UAE.
3. Union Minister for Human Resource and Development Prakash Javadekar has inaugurated the transit campus of Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) in Jammu.
4. India has approached United States (US) and select European countries part of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) to crack terror fund trail details of the Al Rehmat Trust from Pakistan.
FATF is an inter‐governmental policy making body with ministerial mandate to establish international standards for combating money laundering and terrorist financing.
1. Gymnast Dipa Karmakar became the first Indian gymnast to qualify for the apparatus finals of artistic Gymnastics at the Rio 2016 Olympics.
She qualified after finishing eighth on the standings in the final round in the Individual vault final of artistic gymnastics.
2. ITC’s leading health & hygiene brand, Savlon, has announced the name of ace shuttler- Saina Nehwal as its brand ambassador.
3. Michael Phelps won his fourth consecutive 200m individual medley Olympic title.
He became the first swimmer to win four consecutive golds in the same event.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Renowned carnatic vocalist M. S. Subbulakshmi will be honoured at the United Nations on 15 August 2016, India’s 70th Independence Day, by a performance by A.R. Rahman at the United Nations General Assembly.
With this, A. R. Rahman will become the second Indian artist after Subbulakshmi to perform at the UN.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. Tech giant Intel recently acquired California-based deep learning startup Nervana Systems, allowing the chip maker to foray into the world of Artificial Intelligence (AI).
Nervana Systems is run by an Indian-origin entrepreneur
Appointments & Resignations:
1. BJP leader Vijay Rupani has sworn-in as the Chief Minister of Gujarat at the Mahatma Mandir in Gandhinagar.
He was administered the oath of office and secrecy by the Governor OP Kohli.
2. Former Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India Vinod Rai has stepped down from private sector lender IDFC Bank’s board.
3. KK Khurana, General Manager in-charge, has taken over as Head of BHEL Corporate R&D with effect from August 4, 2016.
4. Dinesh Kumar Khara was appointed Managing Director (MD) of State Bank of India (SBI), India’s largest lender.
He also worked as MD and chief executive of SBI Funds Management Pvt. Ltd.
5. K. M. Hanumantharayappa has assumed charge as the new Chairman of Central Silk Board (CSB), for a period of three years.
He is the 25th Chairman of the Central Silk Board.
He will succeed N. S. Bissegowda.
6. Power plant equipment manufacturer, Bharat Heavy Electricals limited (BHEL) has appointed Akhil Joshi as the Director (Power).
He also served as the Executive director (ED) human resource at BHEL
7. IFS officer Birender Singh Yadav has been appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to the West Africa’s Republic of Ghana.
He will succeed K. Jeeva Sagar in Ghana.
He is currently working as Joint Secretary in the Ministry.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. Reserve Bank of India has imposed the penalty on two cooperative banks of Chhattisgarh under the Banking Regulation Act.
The Zila Sahakari Kendriya Bank Maryadit, Raipur, and Raipur Urban Mercantile Cooperative Bank Limited are the two on which RBI imposed the penalty of five lakh rupees each.
2. Mangalore-based mid-sized public sector bank, Corporation Bank has launched ‘group credit life insurance scheme’ of LIC of India in Mangaluru.
It has been launched by the Jai Kumar Garg, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Corporation Bank.
3. The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) told the Supreme Court that banned Ponzi schemes do not fall under its regulatory purview.
This announcement was made after the apex court had asked government and SEBI, the stock market regulator about measures undertaken by them to check the menace of ponzi schemes.
4. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in its third bi-monthly monetary policy review for year 2016-17 has maintained status quo in key policy interest rate.
Repo Rate: 6.50%
Reverse Repo Rate: 6%
5. The Union Government has announced that the Non-Performing Assets (NPA) of commercial banks have increased by around 4% in the last one year (March 2015 to March 2016).
The NPA of banks was 5.43 percent in March 2015 which has risen to 9.32 percent in March 2016.
6. Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has launched a data bank Portal of micro, small and medium enterprises, MSME in New Delhi.
The portal aims to gather information about micro, small and medium enterprises.
7. The private sector lender Kotak Mahindra Bank (KMB) has announced the availability of Flipkart’s mobile site in its mobile banking app to gives the customer a secure in-app shopping environment.
KMB has been expanding the scope of offerings on its mobile banking app, and this move further strengthens its mStore which already allows booking of air tickets, hotels, and bus tickets.
8. The Reserve Bank will transfer to the central government its surplus profit of Rs 65,876 crore which is marginally lower than the amount given last year.
The surplus is generated through RBI’s investment activities, primarily in other sovereign bonds like that of the US T-bills, which is its single largest investment source
9. NABARD has sanctioned Rs 26.06 crore to the Punjab government.
It will allow the customers to shop smoothly and even check out faster as billing and delivery details which are already available with the bank will not be needed to be entered again.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. The Rajya Sabha has passed the Mental Health Care Bill to provide better healthcare for people suffering from mental illness and also to decriminalize suicide.
The Bill provides, every person has right to access mental health care and treatment from services run or funded by the government.
2. The Parliament passed The Constitution (122nd Amendment) (GST) Bill, 2014 after it was unanimously passed by the Lok Sabha by approved all the amendments made by Rajya Sabha.
3. The Lok Sabha has unanimously passed the Employee’s Compensation (Amendment) Bill, 2016 to reduce litigation in cases of disputes arising over compensation to workers.
The Bill seeks to amend the Employee’s Compensation Act, 1923.
4. Parliament has passed Enforcement of Security Interest and Recovery of Debts Laws Amendment Bill, 2016.
The Bill amends four laws:
Securitisation and Reconstruction of Financial Assets and Enforcement of Security Interest (SARFAESI) Act, 2002
Recovery of Debts due to Banks and Financial Institutions Act (RDDBFI), 1993
Depositories Act, 1996
Indian Stamp Act, 1899
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. Telangana Irrigation Department has signed a memorandum of understanding with the Indian Space Research Organisation.
The MoU was for setting up a Telangana Water Resources Information System (TWRIS) on the ‘Bhuvan’ web portal.
2. The Ministry of Railways has signed an agreement with the Chhattisgarh government for the formation of a joint venture (JV) company for focused resource mobilisation, implementation and monitoring of critical rail projects.
3. The NITI Aayog has inked a pact with US Energy Information Administration (EIA) in a step to set up a portal to host all the data related to energy sector in the country.
The web portal will host all the data related to energy sector including oil and gas, coal, solar and thermal energy etc.
4. The Union Cabinet has given its ex-post facto approval for a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and South Africa for cooperation in the field of Tourism.
5. The Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) has signed a MoU with Defence Food Research Laboratory of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
The MoU is signed for Transferring of Technology of Retort Pouch Processed Foods so that ready-to-eat food can be warmed and eaten straight out of the packet.
Science & Technology:
1. Researchers in India for the first time have found that mice and rats exposed to endosulphan suffer from DNA damage and genomic instability, and impaired DNA damage response.
This breakthrough discovery was discovered team of researchers led by Prof. Sathees Raghavan from the Bengaluru based IISc (Department of Biochemistry).
2. China has successfully launched a new high-resolution Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) dubbed as Gaofen-3.
It was launched from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in northern Shanxi Province on the back of a Long March 4C rocket.
It was 233rd flight mission by a Long March carrier rocket.
3. Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Russian President Vladimir Putin dedicated the first unit of the ambitious Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KKNPP) in Tamil Nadu to the nation.
It has India’s single largest nuclear generation unit with capacity of 1000 megawatt (MW).
1. The second National Handloom Day has been celebrated all over the country, on August 7.
The first National Handloom Day was celebrated last year and Hon’ble Prime Minister was the Chief Guest in the main event held in Chennai on 7th August, 2015.
2. The International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples is observed every year on 9 August.
The day is celebrated to promote and protect the rights of the world’s indigenous population.
2016 Theme was “Indigenous Peoples’ Right to Education”.
1. Noted Assamese litterateur Mahim Bora has passed away due to old age problems. He was 92 years old.
He was a Padma Shri and Sahitya Akademi winner.
His literary works include ‘Kathanibari Ghat’, ‘Bohubhuji Tribhuj’, ‘Much aru Manuh’, ‘Top’, ‘Tinir Tini Gol’.
2. Veteran South Indian film director and scriptwriter Sundaram has passed away in Chennai. He was 76 years old.
Sundaram was born in Tiruchi and ‘Vietnam Veedu’ became part of his name after he wrote the script, first for theatre and then for the film, starring Sivaji Ganesan.
3. Pakistani Cricketing legend Hanif Mohammad died at a Hospital. He was 81.
He was suffering from lung cancer.
His phenomenal 16-hour-long 337 against West Indies at Bridgetown – which saved Pakistan from imminent defeat – will be always be alive in history books.
Important Abbreviations used in the Article
|KKNPP||Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project|
|EIA||Energy Information Administration|
|TWRIS||Telangana Water Resources Information System|
|SARFAESI||Securitization and Reconstruction of Financial Assets and Enforcement of Security Interest|
|KMB||Kotak Mahindra Bank|
|SEBI||Securities and Exchange Board of India|
|BHEL||Bharat Heavy Electricals limited|
|CSB||Central Silk Board|
|CAG||Comptroller and Auditor General|
|FATF||Financial Action Task Force|
|“NITI” Aayog||National Institution for Transforming India|
|QIM||Quit India Movement|
|PMO||Prime Minister’s Office|
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images