The CRPF DG post is vacant since Dilip Trivedi retired on November 30, 2014. 14 CRPF troopers were killed in a dastardly attack in Chhattisgarh the next day.
More About K. Durga Prasad –
He is an IPS officer of 1981 batch from Andhra Pradesh cadre will be in office for next three years or till further orders are given.
Before this, Prasad served as the director of the Special Protection Group (SPG). SPG provides security to the Prime Minister, former Prime Ministers and their family members.
Some Facts about CRPF –
1. The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) is the largest of India’s Central Armed Police Forces. It functions under the aegis of Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) of the Government of India.
2. The CRPF’s primary role lies in assisting the State/Union Territories in police operations to maintain law and order and counter insurgency.
3. It came into existence as the Crown Representative’s Police on 27th July 1939. After Indian Independence, it became the Central Reserve Police Force on enactment of the CRPF Act on 28 December 1949.
4. Besides Law and Order and counter-insurgency duties, the role of CRPF in the General Elections, held repeatedly during the past few years, has been very significant and vital.
5. This is especially true for the trouble-ridden states of J&K, Bihar and in the North East. During the Parliamentary elections of September 1999, the CRPF played a major role in the security arrangements. Of late, CRPF contingents are also being deployed in UN missions.