Read Current Affairs of last month online, all summarized well into one digest GK Eduwrap. Also, covering all the latest questions of General Knowledge asked in General Awareness for Bank PO.
National – Across the India
1. The Union Ministry of Textiles has launched PowerTex India, a three-year comprehensive scheme for Powerloom Sector Development.
The scheme aims to boost common infrastructure and modernization of the powerloom sector in the country.
It has outlay of Rs. 487 crores for three years from 2017-18.
2. Union Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh has inaugurated International Centre for Foot and Mouth Disease (ICFMD) at Argul.
This program will work towards protecting livestock from foot-and-mouth disease virus (FMDV).
3. The 19th Commonwealth Forestry Conference will be held from 3rd April to 7th April 2017 at the Forest Research Institute (FRI), Dehradun.
It will help in developing effective strategies to counter climate change and other challenges in forests.
4. Himachal Pradesh Public Service Commission (HPPSC) is all set to launch e-Governance Project to start paperless functioning.
The pilot project would focus on providing online services to applicants, conducting online study material, use of cloud technology etc.
5. Karnataka Tourism will host its first-ever Surfing festival between 27th-29th May 2017 at the Sasithithlu Beach in Mangalore.
The state’s tourism ministry is also planning to introduce a set of recreational activities which will include skydiving and motorcycle tourism.
6. Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore has emerged at the top of the NIRF Ratings 2017 that rates Indian higher educational institutes based on their performance.
Top 10 IITs are: -Madras (2), Bombay (3), Kharagpur (4), Delhi (5), Kanpur (7), Guwahati (8) and Roorkee (9).
7. Jammu and Kashmir government imposed a blanket ban on the use of polyethene bags manufactured below fifty (50) microns.
New guidelines and regulations, would facilitate proper recycling of plastic waste, reducing its impact on the ecology.
8. Delhi’s Connaught Place is the world’s 9th most Expensive Office location with annual prime rent of USD 105.71 per sq ft.
With annual prime rent of USD 264.27 per sq ft, Hong Kong (Central) is the world’s most expensive office Market.
9. Thaawarchand Gehlot, Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment has inaugurated a National Conference on Autism in New Delhi.
It is being organized by The National Trust for the welfare of Persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities under Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
10. Private carrier Jet Airways passenger can now buy tickets online, using the industry’s latest payment mechanism, Unified Payments Interface (UPI).
With this, Jet Airways becomes the only Indian airline to provide guests with this convenient payment solution.
11. Union Road Minister Nitin Gadkari announced the first expressway project in the northeast region to be developed along the Brahmaputra river in Assam.
These 1,300 km-long express highways are likely to incur an investment of Rs 40,000 crore.
12. Kings XI Punjab players visited a government school in Indore and inaugurated toilets as part of the Swachh Bharat campaign.
South Africa’s David Miller, pacer Varun Aaron and mentor Virender Sehwag were part of the contingent that visited the school.
13. The 2017 National conference on Communicating India was held in New Delhi.
The three main themes of the conference were Telling India’s story to the world, Communicating via Journalism and Dialogue with Diaspora.
14. The Union government has approved setting up Rail Development Authority (RDA) to recommend passenger and freight fares and set service level benchmarks.
The Authority will have an initial corpus of Rs. 50 crore.
15. The Union Cabinet has approved closure of the Mahatma Gandhi Pravasi Suraksha Yojana (MGPSY).
The aim of the scheme was to address the security-related issues of the Emigration Check Required (ECR)-category workers.
The scheme was closed because subscription under it was very low and no new subscription was received for more than a year.
16. PM Narendra Modi will lay the foundation stone of a multi-modal terminal on River Ganga at Sahibganj at the National Waterway-1 from Varanasi to Haldia.
It will have handling capacity of 2.24 Million Tons Per Annum.
It will contribute to the creation of business and employment opportunities in Jharkhand.
17. The CCEA has approved the extension of the Crime and Criminals Tracking Network and Systems (CCTNS) project for another year beyond 31st March 2017.
The extension will help in achieving the remaining objectives of the project comprehensively.
18. Union Sports Minister has approved appointment of two foreign coaches and two support staff for athletics.
They are Dave Smith, Galina P. Bukharina, Dmitry Kislev and Elmira Kisleva who have been made up to 2020 Olympics.
19. Assam government has hosted the Gunotsav program from 4th April to 7th April 2017.
The aim is to ensure quality education for students in government schools and to increase awareness for meaningful education.
20. The sex ratio in Haryana for the first time in the history has touched the 950 mark in March 2017 as announced by Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar.
The state has improved its skewed sex ratio after the launch of ‘Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao’ programme by Prime Minister Narendra Modi from Haryana.
21. Madhya Pradesh government-run Maharshi Patanjali Sanskrit Sansthan will launch one-year diploma course on Hindu priesthood ‘Purohityam’ from July 2017.
This course will be open for all irrespective of religion, caste, or gender.
The basic qualification needed for enrolling this course is class X.
22. The second National Children’s Film Festival took off on a colourful note in Visakhapatnam.
M Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the festival at VUDA Children’s Arena.
Opening film “Shanu – The Optimist” directed by KNT Sastry and produced by CFSI in 2016, was screened after the inaugural session.
23. Shri Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated the first NIMCARE World Health Day Summit 2017 in New Delhi.
The slogan of the first NIMCARE World Health Day Summit is, ‘Unite for a Healthy Mind’.
24. President Pranab Mukherjee has picked up lucky winners from the 100th draw of lots under the digital payments promotion schemes Lucky Grahak Yojana and Digi Dhan Vyapar Yojana.
Total the six winners were selected — three consumers and three merchants of Lucky Grahak Yojana and Digi Dhan Vyapar Yojana.
25. The Union Ministry of Home Affairs has launched web portal and mobile application named “Bharat ke Veer” to enable people to contribute towards family of martyrs from central paramilitary forces.
The committee will decide to disbursement of fund equitably to braveheart’s family on need basis.
26.Madhya Pradeshgovernment kick-started its ambitious ‘Deendayal Rasoi Yojana’ under which subsidized meals will be available at Rs 5 per plate to people, especially the economically disadvantaged sections of society.
The initiative is on the lines of state run Amma Canteens, started by the former chief minister J Jayalalithaa, which served subsidized food at low prices.
27. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated an exhibition titled “Swachhagraha – Bapu Ko Karyanjali – Ek Abhiyan, Ek Pradarshani” in New Delhi mark the 100 years (centenary year) of Champaran Satyagraha.
The exhibition will showcase Champaran Satyagraha and it will connect essential principles of Satyagraha with Swachhagraha.
28. Pakistan’s Field General Court Martial has sentenced to death Indian national and alleged RAW (Research and Analysis Wing) agent Kulbhushan Jadhav who was arrested last year on charges of spying.
The death sentence was confirmed by army chief Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa after the Field General Court Martial found him guilty of all the charges.
29. A new web portal “nakshe” was launched by the Union Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences, Dr. Harsh Vardhan in New Delhi, on the occasion of 250th anniversary of Survey of India(SoI).
30. The Ministry of Rural Development has released 23,443.09 crore to the States as first tranche for Financial Year 2017-18 under Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS).
The amount released includes all pending liabilities as on 31st March 2017. It is also to ensure priority work on water conservation measures.
31. The Union Government has set up an Inter- Ministerial Monitoring-cum-Coordination Committee to monitor the UDAN (Ude Desh Ka Aam Naagrik) scheme.
The committee will be responsible for coordination among stakeholders, including state governments for time-bound implementation of the scheme.
It will also monitor schemes of promotion of regional connectivity by way of revival of unserved and under-served airports/airstrips and UDAN.
32. Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu announced the re-launch of Adarana scheme on the occasion of 191st birth anniversary of social reformer Mahatma Jyotirao Phule.
It will offer modern tools, technology, marketing, and financial support to artisans and those pursuing traditional occupations to raise their income levels and provide employment in the rural areas.
33. Uttar Pradesh government has scrapped the Samajwadi Pension Scheme, which was initiated by the previous Akhilesh Yadav government.
Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has also ordered a probe into the selection of beneficiaries under the scheme.
34. India and Australia has launched Sports partnership in Mumbai aimed at increasing cooperation in sports.
The partnership will advance India – Australia cooperation in four areas: – Athlete and coach training & development, sport science, sport governance and integrity, and grassroots participation.
35. The President of India conferred the National Geoscience Awards 2016 (#NGA2016) on 26 geoscientists in New Delhi.
They were presented the award for their meritorious contributions in eleven fields of geosciences.
Abhishek Saha from National Institute of Oceanography Goa who got the Young Scientist Award was especially lauded by the President.
36. The Union Cabinet has approved setting up of a Special Purpose Vehicle called Government e-Marketplace (GeM SPV).
It aims for procurement of goods & services required by Central & State Government organizations.
It will replace the Directorate General of Supplies and Disposal (DGS&D) under the Ministry of Commerce.
37. The Union Cabinet has approved setting up of Indian Institute of Petroleum and Energy (IIPE) at Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh as Institute of National Importance through an Act of Parliament.
The Cabinet also approved Rs 655.46 crore as capital expenditure to set up IIPE and contribution of Rs 200 crore towards its Endowment Fund.
38. Loans disbursed under the Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana (PMMY) have crossed its target of Rs 1.8 lakh crore in the financial year 2016-17.
Non-banking financial institutions have lent about Rs 57,000 crore.
In this year’s budget, Rs 2.44 lakh crore has been set as a target for Mudra loans for the financial year 2017-18.
39. Haryana government has launched Operation Durga to ensure women safety in the state.
Under this operation, teams formed by the Chief Minister’s Flying Squad visited public places such as schools, colleges, bus stands and railway stations and caught persons indulging in crime activities against women like eve-teasing, stalking, harassment and other such activities.
40. The Income Tax department has launched the second phase of the Operation Clean Money.
It was launched to investigate over 60,000 individuals including 1,300 high risk persons with an aim to detect black money generation post demonetization.
41. The Department of Post has allotted a unique pin code for the Income Tax Department’s Central Processing Centre (CPC) based in Bengaluru.
This was done to ensure that the letters and mails sent by taxpayers to the CPC are not lost or reach the centre late.
The new pin code given to CPC is 560500.
Earlier, the CPC was using the pin code 560100.
42. The Union Ministry of Labour & Employment has launched Aadhaar Seeding Application for efficient service delivery and widening the reach of Employees Provident Fund (EPF) benefits.
It was launched at the 217th special meeting of the Central Board of Employees Provident Fund (CBEPF/EPFO) in New Delhi.
43. Jharkhand Police has initiated Tare Zameen Par programme to enlighten children in Naxal-affected areas in the Palamau district of Jharkhand.
This programme is aimed to restore confidence in the state police force and to encourage children to lead happy lives.
44. Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI) has come up with a set of guidelines for celebrities endorsing products.
ASCI have barred celebrities to endorse product/treatment/remedy that is prohibited under The Drugs & Magic Remedies Act (Objectionable Advertisements) and the Drugs & Cosmetic Act.
Celebrities should not endorse those products which by law require a health warning on its packaging or advertisement.
45. Prime Minister has launched BHIM-Aadhaar platform from Nagpur.
It will help people to pay digitally using their biometric data like thumb imprint on a merchant’s biometric enabled device like a smart phone or a biometric reader.
46. Harisal village in Maharashtra was adopted by Microsoft to be developed as India’s first ideal digital village.
Underpinned by public health initiatives of the state government, the village is now in the reckoning for the Prime Minister’s Award for excellence in Public Administration.
47. India Licensing Expo 2017 is scheduled to be held on 20th & 21st August 2017 in Mumbai.
The be organised by License India, India’s first licensing media Services Company and supported by Franchise India.
The expo will collate opportunities, knowledge and recognitions under one roof.
48. Punjab government has prohibited the inclusion of names of the government functionaries, including ministers and MLAs, on foundation stones and inaugural plaques.
The order has clarified that henceforth all projects and programmes, including those inaugurated by the CM, would be dedicated to the people of Punjab.
49. Prime Minister has launched 81 cashless/less cash townships across 12 states in Nagpur.
The 81 townships included 56 in Gujarat and 25 in 11 states including Delhi, Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Bihar and Chhattisgarh.
50. The government called off talks between the India & Pakistan on maritime security which was scheduled for 17th April 2017.
The reason behind the cancellation was the issue of death sentence of Kulbhushan Jadhav, a former Indian naval officer, by a Pakistani military court.
51. Himachal Pradesh celebrated 70th Himachal Day function in Chamba.
Himachal Pradesh came into existence by merging 30 odd princely states in 1948.
52. Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu has flagged-off first-ever train with glass roof coaches on Visakhapatnam-Araku route through video conferencing from Bhubaneswar.
The aim is to provide a delightful travelling experience of the picturesque Araku valley.
It is a 40-seat coach with a cost of Rs. 3.38 crore.
53. The Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA) has launched its own portal and mobile app in New Delhi.
The portal will act as a one-stop for States’ Higher Education Plans, decision of the States’ Higher Education Councils and details of the resources under this scheme.
The gallery of the portal will provide a rich repository of the projects initiated under RUSA.
54. After incidents of flight delay and assault on its employees, Air India has proposed to introduce new rules on passengers.
Air India has proposed to impose a fine ranging from Rs. 5 to Rs 15. lakh on unruly passengers who cause delays to flights before or after landing.
FIR/police complaint to be filed immediately under relevant section of the IPC.
Training will be imparted to airport/ security staff on handling of unruly passengers.
55. The President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated 3rd edition of the Global Exhibition on Services (GES-2017) at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
India can be a key partner for emerging services such as facilities management, event and exhibition, urban infrastructure and environmental services.
56. The Government has launched a nationwide programme for capacity building of Elected Women Representatives (EWRs) of Panchayats and a training program for Trainers of women panchayat leaders at Ranchi, Jharkhand.
It was launched at the grassroot level in various fields like engineering finance, social development, education, health, and environment among others.
57. Indian Railways will impart training to over 500 railwaymen on high-speed rail technology in China and Japan, running trains at speed ranging from 160 to 200 kmph in select corridors in the country.
58. The Haryana government has exempted solar equipment and parts used in installation of solar power projects from value added tax (VAT).
Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh have already exempted solar energy devices from VAT.
This exemption will cost the state exchequer about Rs 2.30 crore.
59. The Andhra Pradesh state government has formulated guidelines for a market intervention exercise to help red chilly farmers in the state.
As per the modalities of the scheme, chilly stocks with the farmers would be bought at the price fixed by the government and each farmer will get the additional benefit of Rs 1,500 per quintal, subject to a ceiling of 20 quintals.
60. Supreme Court has ordered auction of its prime Aamby Valley township near Lonavala in Pune.
The reason is its failing to deposit Rs 5,000 crore of the Rs 14,000-crore due towards refund to investors.
61. Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT) will start functioning in Madhya Pradesh from August this year.
The foundation stone for the new campus, at Kothri Kalan on Bhopal-Indore Highway in Sehore district, was laid by the MP Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan last year.
62. The Delhi and Chennai Metro Rail systems have decided to install platform screen doors (PSD) in underground stations, in a bid to prevent suicide attempts.
These doors are synchronized to open along with the train doors, thereby blocking access to the track for commuters.
63. The Supreme Court has granted an exemption to six categories of disabled people from standing when the national anthem is played before the screening of a film in theatres.
The six categories include people suffering from cerebral palsy, Parkinson disease, muscular dystrophy and other categories of disability.
In addition, the Court has also issued notice to the union government on the plea seeking Vande Mataram to be made mandatory in schools.
64. The Department of Telecommunication announced that the mobile subscribers cannot pay more than Rs 20,000 in one tranche to buy a service or download content by using their pre-paid account balance or through post-paid bills.
The system is helpful for those subscribers who do not have access to debit, credit cards or net banking system.
65. The Union Cabinet have cleared purchase of VVPAT (Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail) machines as requested by the Election Commission.
Over 16 lakh VVPATs would be required, at an estimated cost of 3,174 crores, to cover all polling stations in the next Lok Sabha polls.
66. The National Green Tribunal has directed an immediate and complete shutdown of all industries around Bengaluru’s Bellandur Lake.
It also banned dumping of any kind of municipal solid waste around the lake and announced an environment compensation of Rs 5 lakh on anyone found dumping waste in and around the lake.
67. The India Meteorological Department’s (IMD) has predicted a normal monsoon this year with a rainfall of 96% of the long-period average (LPA).
Rainfall between 96% and 104% of LPA is considered as normal. The country had to suffer back-to-back droughts in 2014 and 2015.
68. The Union Cabinet has put a ban on the use of red beacons atop cars of VIPs with effect from 1st May 2017.
Three categories -the President, Vice-President and Chief Justice of India were exempted from the ban.
Accordingly, fire brigade, ambulance services, police vehicles and other emergency services will be allowed to use the blue beacon.
69. The Union Cabinet has approved the policy guidelines to permit financially sound State Government entities to borrow directly from bilateral ODA (Official Development Assistance) partners.
The purpose is to implement vital infrastructure projects.
The eligibility criteria for state entities would be a revenue of over Rs 1,000 crore.
70. Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh has inaugurated a two-day Civil Services Day function in New Delhi on 20th April 2017.
Three Breakaway Sessions on subjects related to Agriculture, Energy and Skill Development and Entrepreneurship will also be organised.
71. The government has extended the deadline till 30th April 2017 for those who are yet to pay 25% of their undisclosed income as interest-free deposits under the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana (PMGKY) scheme.
The scheme was started on 17th December 2016 and closed on 31st March 2017.
It was the second income disclosure scheme announced by the government after the demonetization of Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 notes in November 2016.
72. The Supreme Court (SC) approved the e-auction of Taj Mansingh Hotel in New Delhi.
New Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC) was allowed by the Supreme Court to e-auction the property.
The auctioning the Taj Mansingh Hotel property was stiffly opposed by Tata group-run Indian Hotels Company Ltd which manages the hotel.
73. Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal has suggested an idea of developing the birthplace of Srimanta Sankardev Batadrava as an international tourist spot.
The state government plans to develop the birthplace on the lines of the Golden Temple of Amritsar.
74. The Supreme Court has set 25% of the net salary of husband to be paid as alimony to his estranged wife.
The Court has observed that the alimony paid to a woman must be just and proper.
The amount paid must be enough to ensure that a woman lives with dignity after separating from her husband.
75. Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare announced the finalization of India’s comprehensive and multi-sectoral National Action Plan to combat Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR).
The announcement was made at the Inter-Ministerial Consultation on AMR containment held at New Delhi.
The plan aims to enhance the awareness, improve rational use of antibiotics and promote research.
76. MGNREGA has reached a major milestone by geotagging one crore assets created under the scheme.
The scale of assets created under MGNREGA is massive and is estimated to be about 2.82 crore assets since the financial year 2006-07.
The focus would be given to geotagging of Natural Resource Management works primarily the water-related works.
77. The Union Government and two Naga Rebel groups have agreed to extend the ceasefire till 27th April 2018.
The two Naga armed factions are- National Socialist Council of Nagaland-Reformation (NSCN-R) and National Socialist Council of Nagaland-Neakpao-Kithovi (GPRN/NSCN).
78. Uttar Pradesh has decided to establish 40 Yoga wellness centres in 40 districts across the state in the present financial year.
Out of 40 centres, 23 will be set up at Ayurvedic hospitals, 12 at homeopathic and 7 at Unani hospitals and colleges.
79. Union Minister of Law and Justice Ravi Shankar Prasad inaugurated three welfare initiatives- Pro Bono, Tele Law Service and Nyaya Mitra that would facilitate access to justice for the poor.
‘Pro-bono legal services’ where lawyers can register themselves to volunteer pro-bono services for litigants who are unable to afford it.
‘Tele-law service’ seeks to connect litigants with lawyers through video conferencing facilities.
Nyaya Mitra, a retired judicial officer, or an executive officer with judicial experience, will be put in charge of assisting those suffering due to judicial delays.
80. The Indian Railways will increase 3AC coaches in long distance trains to cater to the growing demand for air-conditioned coaches.
Railway data shows that between 1st April 2016 and 10th March 2017, 3AC coaches carried 17 per cent of all passengers in long-distance trains which accounted for 32.60 per cent of all the earnings from passenger fares.
81. Ministry of Food and Consumer Affairs has approved the Guidelines on Fair Trade Practices Related to Charging of Service Charge from Consumers by Hotels and Restaurants’.
As a part of the guidelines the government has said that Service charge on hotel and restaurant bills is totally voluntary, adding that mandatory levy of service charge amounts to unfair trade practice.
82. UAE-based billionaire B R Shetty will invest Rs 1,000 crore ($150 million) to produce a two-part film.
The film will be directed by ad filmmaker V A Shrikumar Menon and is scheduled to be released in early 2020.
83. The India Post released a Commemorative Postage Stamp on Coffee as a Fragrance Stamp in Bengaluru.
The stamps, which are being printed at the India Security Press, will be priced at Rs. 100.
84. The Minister of External Affairs, Sushma Swaraj has made a provision enabling people to apply for passports in Hindi.
The panel has suggested that bilingual forms should be made available by all passport offices and forms filled in Hindi should be accepted.
85. Prime Minister Narendra Modi chaired NITI Aayog’s Governing Council Meet which deliberated 15-year development road map called ‘Vision 2030’ to accelerate the country’s economic development.
This roadmap will achieve social goals such as poverty reduction, and improving health and sanitation.
86. Northeast’s sixth and largest hub for information technology has been inaugurated in Agartala.
The hub has been set up at a cost of Rs 50 crore to boost employment and e-governance besides export of software technology.
87. The Indian Railways is going to set up a solar power plant in Bhilai (Chhattisgarh), through Railway Energy Management Company Limited (REMCL).
The project cost of the 50 MW plant is estimated at Rs 200 crore.
Of the total cost, 20 per cent will be borne by the Railways, while the remaining 80 per cent will be raised through debt.
88. The Indian Railways will be launching a special rail service, Utkrisht Double-Decker AC Yatri (Uday) Express in July 2017.
The train would run only on high-demand routes like Delhi- Lucknow and its fare would be lower than that of the 3AC class in regular express trains.
The aim of the double-decker service is to provide better amenities to passengers in a lesser fare.
89. India’s first and longest ropeway to connect Mumbai with the famous Elephanta Island in the Arabian Sea is planned to be constructed by the Mumbai Port Trust.
The 8-km ropeway will begin from Sewri in Mumbai’s east coast and end at Raigad district’s Elephanta Island.
90. The National Conference on Agriculture for Kharif Campaign – 2017 was organized on 25th and 26th April 2017 at New Delhi.
The Conference was inaugurated by Radha Mohan Singh, Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare.
91. The All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) is India’s First public hospital to start plaque brachytherapy facility for the treatment of eye tumors.
The facility is a form of local radiation delivered to the eye through a radioactive device which is attached to the eye for a temporary period of time.
92. M.Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the 47th Foundation Day of Housing and Urban Development Corporation Ltd. (HUDCO).
He urged the organization to realize the vision of “Housing for All” – “Sabka Sapna, Ghar ho Apna”.
93. The government has announced the names of ten new Iconic places under the Phase II of Swachh Iconic Places initiative. The ten new iconic places are:
Mahakaleshwar Temple (Ujjain).
Char Minar (Hyderabad).
Church and Convent of St. Francis of Assissi (Goa).
Adi Shankaracharya’s abode Kaladi in Ernakulam.
Gomateshwar in Shravanbelgola.
Baijnath Dham (Devghar).
Gaya Tirth (Bihar).
Somnath temple in Gujarat.
94. The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has flagged off the First UDAN flight under RCS on Shimla-Delhi sector.
He also flagged off the inaugural UDAN flights on Kadapa – Hyderabad and Nanded-Hyderabad sectors.
95. The West Bengal government has decided to drop the tag Pradhan Mantri from Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojna and rename it as Bangla Fasal Bima Yojna.
The reason behind the decision was that the Centre’s share in such schemes had come down to 50:50 which was earlier either 90 percent or 75 percent.
As per the norm, the farmer had to pay one-third of it while the remaining two-thirds was borne by the Centre and the state government.
96. The Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) plans to build a new oil terminal at Motihari in Bihar to supply fuel to Nepal through the planned pipeline up to Amlekganj in Nepal.
The old terminal at Raxaul, Bihar will be closed.
The Indian and Nepalese governments MoU for a product pipeline.
97. The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) emerged as the clear winner in the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) elections with 184 seats.
The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) came second with just 46 seats in all the three Delhi municipal corporations.
The Congress has won 30 seats and others got 10 seats.
98. Union Minister M Venkaiah Naidu launched Micro and Small Enterprises Facilitation Council (MSEFC) portal and MyMSME Mobile App.
Both the portals were launched as a part of Digital India Initiative from the perspective of the MSME sector in the country.
With the access to this platform, micro and small enterprises would be able to file their delayed payment related grievances online.
99. The Central Government has sanctioned construction of over one lakh more houses for the urban poor with an investment of Rs 4,200 crore under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana(PMAY).
The government has now approved construction of over 18.75 lakh houses for Economically Weaker Sections in 2,151 cities and towns across the country.
100. CMS India Corruption Study 2017 named Karnataka as the most corrupt state in the country.
According to the survey, 77% of respondents in Karnataka said they experienced corruption in accessing public services.
This is followed by Andhra Pradesh (74%), Tamil Nadu (68%), Maharashtra (57%), Jammu and Kashmir (44%) and Punjab (42%).
101. The trial run of the first electric taxi in the country will start from 24th May in Nagpur as a part of government’s plan to reduce pollution.
Nagpur Municipal Corporation will undertake the project.
Mahindra and Mahindra is set to provide 200 taxis for the initiative.
102. Union Health Minister JP Nadda has launched the Test and Treat policy for Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV).
As per this new policy, anyone who is tested and found positive will get the necessary treatment free of cost and will be provided with ART (Anti- Retroviral Therapy) irrespective of his CD count.
103. India’s first smart and green Highway, Eastern Peripheral Expressway will be ready by August this year.
It has been built at a cost of Rs.11000 crore.
At least 2.5 lakh trees will be on the both sides of the roads with solar panels.
104. Bhilar, a tiny hamlet in Satara district of Maharashtra is all set to become India’s first ‘book village’ from 4th May.
The concept of book village is inspired by Britain’s Hay-on-Wye, which is a Welsh town located in the United Kingdom, famous for its bookstores and literature festivals.
Under this initiative, tourists and locals can come and read books, magazines, newspapers stacked at 25 artistically decorated locations around the village.
International – Across the Globe
1. Myanmar became the 7th member of South Asia Sub-Regional Economic Cooperation (SASEC) program of Asian Development Bank (ADB).
It was officially made member at the SASEC Finance Ministers’ meeting held in New Delhi.
2. India and six other South Asian countries of SASEC have pledged to improve intra-regional connectivity to boost trade and tourism.
The decision was taken at the Finance ministers of member countries meeting in New Delhi to reshape SASEC.
They also came out with the SASEC Vision for 2025 and adopted operational plan 2016-25.
3. India and the UK has decided to set up a 500-million-pound fund, with both investing 240 million pound, to finance clean energy projects.
India and the UK will invest 120 million pound each and the remaining 260 million pound has to come in from private investors.
4. India ranks 9th among 41 countries in Bribery and corrupt practices in businesses.
The list is issued as per the EY Europe, Middle East, India and Africa (EMEIA) Fraud Survey 2017.
5. The twelth edition Indo-Mongolian Joint Military Exercise Nomadic Elephant 2017 has begun at Vairengte in Mizoram.
Vairengte houses Indian Army’s elite Counter-Insurgency and Jungle Warfare School.
The first joint Nomadic Elephant was held in 2004.
6. President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi declared a three-month state of emergency in Egypt following twin church bombings that killed dozens of people in two cities.
The Islamic State group had claimed responsibility for the church bombings in the Nile Delta cities of Alexandria and Tanta in which at least 44 people were killed.
7. The first rail freight service from United Kingdom to China departed from Essex.
Earlier the first freight train in the opposite direction, from China to UK had arrived in London in January 2017.
The train service was launched as part of China’s ambitious One Belt, One Road (OBOR) initiative that aims to revive the ancient Silk Road trading routes with the West dating back more than 2,000 years.
8. The G7 Ministers of Foreign Affairs held their annual meet on 10th-11th April 2017 in Lucca.
The meeting focused on the common fight against terrorism, the situation in Libya and Ukraine, the latest worrying developments in North Korea.
9. India and Georgia have signed a Joint Statement on the launching of the Joint Feasibility Study on the Free Trade Agreement between both countries.
The objective of the study is to further promote economic, trade and investment relations between the two countries for creating favorable conditions for more comprehensive economic cooperation.
10. GBU-43, nicknamed as the Mother of All Bombs (MOAB) has been dropped by the United States over an ISIS complex in Afghanistan, near the Pakistan border.
The bomb was dropped using a Lockheed MC-130 transport plane.
The bomb has been dropped to destroy a system of tunnels and caves used by the ISIS fighters.
11. Nepal and China has begun the first-ever joint military exercise Sagarmatha Friendship-2017 from 16th April 2017 with a special focus on combating terror and disaster management.
The 10-day-long military drill that will last till 25th April 2017.
Sagarmatha is the Nepali name of Mount Everest, the world’s highest peak, that is bordering between Nepal and China.
12. Australia has abolished the 457 Visa Programme used by thousands of temporary foreign workers, most of them being Indians to address growing unemployment in that country.
Australia wants to adopt ‘Australians first’ approach to skilled migration.
13. The UN Postal Administration (UNPA) is issuing a set of stamps showing 10 yoga ‘asanas’ to commemorate the International Day of Yoga on 21st June 2017 in New York.
The 10 stamps of $1.15 denomination each depict a different yoga pose next to a large ‘Om’ in Devanagri script.
However, the yoga stamps would be issued only in the US dollar denomination in New York.
14. India has contributed USD 2,50,000 to the UN Election Assistance Division to help other countries to hold elections and develop their electoral systems.
This is the second time that India has contributed USD 2,50,000 towards electoral assistance and capacity building.
The first assistance was made in 2012.
15. Chinese President Xi Jinping has announced a restructure of the People’s Liberation Army (PLA).
The aim is to make PLA as a leaner fighting force with enhanced joint operations capability.
16. A set of four rare stamps featuring the portrait of Mahatma Gandhi has been sold for record £500,000 at an auction in the UK.
Only 13 of the 1948 Gandhi 10-rupee Purple Brown and Lake ‘Service’ stamps are in circulation.
17. Five prominent Madhesi parties in Nepal have united to form a new united party named the Rastriya Janata Party. The five parties that have united are:
Mahantha Thakur‘s Tarai Madhes Loktantrik Party,
Rajendra Mahato‘s Sadbhawana Party,
Sharat Singh Bhandari‘s Rastriya Madhes Samajbadi Party,
Mahendra Yadav‘s Tarai Madhes Sadbhawana Party
Rajkishor Yadav‘s Madhesi Janadhikar Forum- Ganatantrik.
18. The 2017 BRICS Film Festival will be held in Chengdu, southwest China’s Sichuan Province from 23rd – 27th June 2017.
There will be 30 films from BRICS countries screened during the festival.
The first BRICS Film Festival was held in New Delhi, India in 2016.
19. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate UN Vesak Day in Colombo, Sri Lanka on 12th May 2017.
Vesak Day, also known as Buddha Poornima, is a traditional holiday commemorated by Sri Lanka’s majority Sinhala Buddhists.
This year’s theme is ‘Buddhist teachings for social justice and sustainable world peace’.
20. Iran’s former President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has been disqualified from running in next month’s presidential election.
The decision was taken by Guardian Council, with vetting candidates for the May 19 election.
21. Cuba and Morocco has signed an agreement to re-establish diplomatic ties after a time period of 37 years at the headquarters of the Permanent Mission of Cuba to the United Nations.
The two governments have also agreed to forge political, economic and cultural cooperation.
22. United States and China have agreed to pursue a ‘100-day plan’ aimed at reducing the US trade deficit with China.
The decision was taken by US President Donald Trump and his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping in their first summit held in Florida, US.
23. India has become world’s second largest LPG importer, a position that was previously occupied by Japan. China remains as the world’s top importer.
The main reason behind the increase in the consumption of LPG in India is due to the two government schemes coupled with free gas connections.
24. A freight train connecting Russia with China has arrived in Ganzhou which carries goods from Moscow is expected to boost local development.
The freight train travelled more than 7,000 km, before reaching Ganzhou in eastern China.
25. The Indian Navy has organized a joint maritime exercise Varuna with the French Navy at the Mediterranean Sea to further deepen combat coordination between the two navies.
Guided missile destroyer INS Mumbai, stealth frigate INS Trishul and fleet tanker INS Aditya took part in the exercise.
26. According to Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (Sipri), India has become world’s fifth-largest military spender spending at $55.9 billion in 2016.
The US remains the world’s largest military followed by China, Russia, and Saudi Arabia.
The other prominent spenders in the top 15 include Japan, South Korea, and Australia.
27. The International conference on Dara Shikoh: Reclaiming Spiritual Legacy of India was held on 27th & 28th April 2017.
The conference was organised by the Indian Council of Cultural Relations (ICCR).
28. The International Road federation (IRF) has named India to be the host of the 18th World Road Meeting (WRM 2017).
WRM 2017 will be held on November 13, 2017.
The theme of this year’s WRM is ‘Safe Roads and Smart Mobility: The Engines of Economic Growth’.
29. Belgium has become the first country to open an honorary consulate office in Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT City).
Hari Sankaran was nominated as Honorary Consul of the Kingdom of Belgium to the state of Gujarat.
30. US President Donald Trump has introduced biggest tax reform plan in the history of United States.
The income tax rates have been slashed from 39.6% to 35%.
The new plan proposes for a 15% corporate tax rate which is a sharp drop from the existing 35%.
31. India slipped three places in the 2017 World Press Freedom Rankings to 136th among 180 countries.
Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark took the first four positions in the rankings respectively.
North Korea was at the bottom of the index.
32. El Salvador is the first country to ban metals mining.
The law bans prospection exploration, exploitation, extraction or processing of metallic minerals in El Salvador.
33. UNESCO will screen Rahul V. Chittella’s short film Azaad as a part of World Press Freedom Day event that is scheduled to be held from 1st-4th May 2017 in Jakarta, Indonesia.
The movie is about the dysfunctional relationship between a father and his son.
34. Poland has assured its support for India’s bid for membership in the elite Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) and a permanent seat in the expanded UN Security Council.
The two countries also signed an agreement in the agriculture sector.
35. The US Trade Representative’s (USTR) office has once again placed India on the ‘priority watch’ list in this year’s Special 301 report.
India has been placed in ‘priority watch’ list owing to USTR’s view that India has not made adequate changes in its intellectual property (IP) laws and regulations.
Sports & Athletics
1. India’s women’s T20I team captain Harmanpreet Kaur has been named Player of the Year by Australia’s Women’s Big Bash League team Sydney Thunder.
Pat Cummins won the Michael Hussey Medal for the Best Men’s Player of the Year award for the Men’s Sydney Thunder franchise.
2. Leander Paes and Adil Shamasdin has won the Men’s Doubles trophy at the Leon Challenger Tour tennis tournaments at Leon, Mexico.
They defeated Switzerland’s Luca Margaroli and Caro Zampieri of Brazil by 6-1 6-4 in the title clash.
3. Roger Federer defeated Rafael Nadal by 6-3, 6-4 to win the Miami Open.
Johanna Konta of Great Britain beats Caroline Wozniacki by 6-4, 6-3 in the final of the Miami Open.
4. P V Sindhu has won India Open Badminton Title 2017 by 21-19, 21-16 in New Delhi defeating Carolina Marin of Spain in the finals.
5. Former Guatemalan football chief Brayan Jimenez has been banned from the sport.
The reason for the ban is the offences which included bribery and corruption.
6. The 2017 Indian Premier League is scheduled to start on 5th April 2017 and finish on 21st May 2017.
The opening match and the final will be played at the Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium in Hyderabad.
7. Adam King, a cricketer from New Zealand, has been banned for two years after being found guilty of using performance-enhancing drugs.
King’s two-year ban has been back-dated to start on 1st May 2016.
8. Brianna Lyston (Jamaican female athlete) has won the 200m race in the Caribbean nation.
She completed the race in 23.72 seconds, almost within two seconds of the senior world record set by Florence Griffith-Joyner at the 1988 Olympics.
9. India has been ranked third in a doping violation report published by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) for 2015.
According to report, 117 athletes from India being punished after testing positive for banned substances.
India followed the Russian Federation (176) and Italy (129) in the chart.
10. Bangladesh captain Mashrafe Mortaza announced his retirement from T20I cricket.
He led Bangladesh in 27 of his 52 Twenty20 internationals and won nine matches.
11. India’s PV Sindhu became the No.2 ranked woman badminton player in the world according to the latest Badminton World Federation (BWF) rankings.
She grabbed the number two position with 75759 points.
12. The Indian football team achieved 101 FIFA ranking in over two decades in the latest list.
India jumped 31 places from its last rank of 132nd in the previous month.
13. The Pakistan Test captain, Misbah-ul-Haq announced his retirement from international cricket after the end of the Test series in West Indies.
However, he will continue to play cricket at the domestic level.
14. Indian boxer K Shyam Kumar has won gold medal at the Thailand International Tournament in the 49- kilogram category held in Bangkok.
It was Kumar’s second gold medal at the event after he had first gold medal in the 2015 edition.
15. US based National Basketball Association (NBA) has launched its first basketball school in India in Mumbai, capital of Maharashtra.
The school was opened as part of a multi-year agreement with India On Track (IOT).
16. Mercedes driver Lewis Hamiltondominated the Chinese Grand Prix to take his first win of the year and move into a share of the championship lead.
Vettel finished second.
Red Bull’s Max Verstappen moved up from 16th on the grid to finish third.
17. The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) has granted affiliation to the Boxing Federation of India (BFI).
The BFI now becomes the fully recognized body for Indian boxing.
18. Indiasealed a 4-1 win against Uzbekistanin the second round of the Davis Cup Asia/Oceania Group I tie in Bangalore to advance to the World Group playoff.
The Indians will now play the World Group playoff in September against an opponent that will be decided later through a draw in London.
19. India emerged champion at the 5th Asian School Hockey Championship with a convincing 5-1 win over Malaysia in the final.
Alishan Mohammad scored two goals and Pratap Lakra successfully converted a penalty corner and a penalty stroke in the goal.
20. The International Cricket Council has announced eight stalwarts of the modern era as Champion Ambassadors for this summer’s ICC Champions Trophy 2017.
Shahid Afridi- Pakistan.
Habibul Bashar- Bangladesh.
Ian Bell- England.
Shane Bond- New Zealand.
Mike Hussey- Australia.
Harbhajan Singh- India.
Kumar Sangakkara- Sri Lanka.
Graeme Smith- South Africa.
21. Mann Kaur, a 101-year-old great-grandmother, will represent India at the World Masters Games, considered as the Olympics for veterans in Auckland from 21st April 2017.
Kaur will compete in the 100-metre, 200-metre, shot put and javelin events in the 100-plus category.
22. Indian shuttler B Sai Praneeth clinched his maiden Super Series title at the Singapore Open.
He defeated compatriot K Srikanth in a historic final.
23. National badminton coach Pullela Gopichand’s daughter Gayathri Gopichand has bagged both the singles and doubles crown at the Pembangunan Jaya Raya Junior Grand Prix in Jakarta.
Gayatri scored 21-11 18-21 21-16 over her doubles partner Samiya Farooqui to win the girls U-15 singles title.
24. Sebastian Vettel claimed a well-judged victory for Ferrari in the Bahrain Grand Prix for his second win of the season.
The 29-year-old four-time champion has won by three seconds from three-time champion Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes.
25. Sagar Baheti has become the first visually impaired Indian runner to complete the historic 121st Boston Marathon.
He completed a distance of 42.16 km distance in just over four hours.
26. International Cricket Council (ICC) has named Saurav Ganguly and Ricky Ponting as the commentators for the Champions Trophy 2017.
Other cricketers in the commentary panel include: Shane Warne, Michael Slater, Nasser Hussain, Michael Atherton, Shaun Pollock, Sanjay Manjrekar, Ian Bishop, Ramiz Raja, Simon Doull and Athar Ali Khan.
27. The Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) will feature Video gaming as a full sport at the 2022 Asian Games.
The aim is to reflect the rapid development and popularity of this new form of sports participation among the youth.
It will be included as a demonstration sport at the 2018 Asian Games in Palembang, Indonesia.
28. Five Russian athletes have been given two-year doping bans for offences at the 2012 Olympics and 2013 track and field world championships.
The five include Antonina Krivoshapka, who won silver with the Russian 4×400 relay team at the Olympics, and Yevgenia Kolodko, who was the 2012 Olympic shot put silver medallist.
29. Nine-year-old Elinor from the West Midlands have been chosen as mascots for the upcoming IAAF World Championships and World Para Athletics.
Hero the Hedgehog’ and ‘Whizbee the Bee’ were chosen from over 4,000 entries in a competition.
30. Ace shuttler PV Sindhu has been ranked No. 3 in the latest BWF ranking.
Sindhu who was at No.5 climbed up two places on the basis of making the quarter-finals of the recently-concluded Singapore Open Super Series.
31. Golfers Aditi Ashok, S.S.P Chawrasia and Ali Sher won the second edition of the Golf Industry Association (GIA) Awards 2017.
Aditi Ashok bagged the award for Outstanding Achievement.
SSP Chawrasia bagged the award for the Men’s Player of the Year (2016).
Ali Sher was awarded for his outstanding playing career.
32. Indian sportswear brand Zeven, has snapped up the rights for International Cricket Council (ICC) merchandise in 23 markets, including India.
The brand is jointly owned by tennis star Mahesh Bhupathi and former Nike country head Hemachandra Javeri.
The four-year contract gives Zeven exclusive licence rights to apparel, accessories and select footwear, including replicas and lifestyle ranges of ICC.
33. Washington Sundar, a 17 years and 199 days old Rising Pune Supergiant spinner has become the third youngest cricketer to play in IPL.
Sundar was picked by the franchise as a replacement for injured Ravichandran Ashwin.
Royal Challengers Bangalore’s Sarfaraz Khan, who played his first IPL match aged 17 years and 177 days, was the youngest to play in the league.
34. The game of cricket has been removed from the programme list of the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta and Palembang.
Apart from cricket, skateboarding, sambo and surfing are among the other sports which have been removed from the programme in order to reduce the burden on Indonesian organizer’s.
The total number of events has now reduced from 493 to 431.
35. Rafael Nadal has won the Monte Carlo Masters for 10th time by beating Albert Ramos-Vinolas 6-1, 6-3 in the final.
In the doubles final, Rohan Bopanna and Pablo Cuevas beat seventh seeds and reigning Roland Garros champions Feliciano Lopez and Marc Lopez 6-3, 3-6, 10-4 to win the title.
Nadal’s 70th career title was his first of the season.
36. Haryana emerged champion beating Kerala at the National Youth Athletics Meet held at the GMC Balayogi Athletics Stadium, Gachibowli, from April 21st to 23rd April 2017.
Kerala was at the top place for the last five years. Haryana emerged champions with 166.5 points.
Rohit Yadav in javelin throw has a set a new meet record.
37. Indian sprinter Man Kaur clinched gold medal in the 100 metres sprint at the World Masters Games held in Auckland, New Zealand by completing the event in 1 minute and 14 seconds.
She has also become the oldest person to skywalk around Auckland’s famous landmark Sky Tower by stepping out 192 metres above Auckland city.
38. Sandhya Agarwal, Former captain of the Indian Women’s Test team was honoured life membership by Marylebone Cricket Club.
She has played 13 Tests and 21 ODIs from the year 1984 to 1995.
Presently, she is the chairperson of girl’s U – 19 and senior women’s team of MPCA.
39. Indian shot putter Manpreet Kaur has clinched a gold in the first leg of the Asian Grand Prix Athletics Meet in Jinhua, China.
Manpreet came up with the best throw of 18.86 meter and broke her earlier record of 17.96 metres.
With the performance, Manpreet also qualified for the IAAF World Championships to be held in August 2017 in London.
40. India finished with a rich haul of three gold, two silver and 11 bronze medals at the US Open Karate Championship held in Las Vegas.
Shaifali Agarwal, Abhishek Sengupta won a gold medal, a silver in two different individual events. India also won a gold medal in the team event.
The Indian team was led by Sensei Yashpal Singh Kalsi and Members of the Indian contingent.
41. Sujal Kahar, a 12-year-old football enthusiast and goal-keeper from Mumbai, has been shortlisted to represent India at the global Football For Friendship (F4F) social programme.
He will join young footballers from around the world in St. Petersburg, Russia in July 2017.
42. The Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) will conduct Oorja’ – CAPFs Under-19 Football Talent Hunt Tournament – 2017 throughout the country from 1st-15th May 2017.
The tournament will be conducted in Maharashtra, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Goa and the Union Territories of Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu.
43. Kerala has conducted the country’s first-ever transgender one-day athletic meet in Thiruvananthapuram.
The event saw the participation of 132 participants belonging to 12 districts of the state.
The event was jointly organised by Kerala Sports Council and Sexual Gender Minority Federation of Kerala.
44. Internationally renowned sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik from Odisha won the jury prize gold medal at the 10th Moscow Sand Art Championship.
The competition was held between 22nd and 28th April at Kolomenskoye, Moscow in Russia.
The theme for the competition was The world around us.
Awards & Recognition
1. Priyanka Chopra has become the second most beautiful woman in the world according to poll done by social media network, BuzzNet.
Pop diva Beyonce topped the list.
Model and Victoria’s Secret angel Taylor Hill is at number three followed by Watson, Dakota Johnson and Hillary Clinton at fourth, fifth and sixth position respectively.
2. Tim Berners-Lee, the man credited with inventing the world-wide web, has been honored with the 2016 Turing Award.
The award is also known as the Nobel Prize for the computing industry.
The award will be presented to Berners-Lee at the ACM’s annual banquet in San Francisco on 24th June 2017.
3. Malala Yousafzai, the youngest Nobel Prize laureate, has addressed Canada’s parliament on 12th April 2017.
She will also officially receive the honorary Canadian citizenship bestowed upon her in 2014.
4. Indian cricket team captain Virat Kohli was honoured as the Wisden’s Leading Cricketer in the World for the year 2016.
Ellyse Perry from Australia was named for Wisden Leading Woman Cricketer in the World for 2016.
5. The 64th National Film Awards for year 2016 were announced. Here are the names of few of the winners.
Best Feature Film: Kasaav (Marathi).
Best Non-Feature Film: Fireflies in the Abyss.
Best Actor: Akhay Kumar (Rustom).
Best Actress: Surabhi Lakshmi (Minnaminungu).
Special Mention: Kadvi Hawa (Hindi), Mukthi Bhavan (Hindi), Majirathi Keki (Assamese), Sonam Kapoor (Neerja).
Best Film on social issue: Pink.
6. Prem Bahadur Resmi Magar of Gorkha Rifles was posthumously conferred Kirti Chakra by the president.
President also presented 13 Shaurya Chakras (4 posthumous) and 45 Distinguished Service medals (15 Param Vishisht Seva Medals, 2 Uttam Yudh Seva Medals and 28 Ati Vishisht Seva Medals).
7. UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has selected Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai as Messenger of Peace.
With this, she becomes UN’s youngest-ever Messenger of Peace, the highest honour bestowed by the UN on a global citizen.
8. Bihar-origin Asha Khemka was named “Asian Businesswoman of the Year” at an event in Birmingham.
She arrived in the United Kingdom with her family in 1978 without English language skills and went on to change the lives of thousands as an educationist.
The latest award was conferred on her, among others, at the 5th annual Asian Business Awards Midlands, which honours the success and achievements of local Asian businesses, at the Edgbaston cricket ground.
9. Central Hindi Institute Director N.K. Pandey announced the names of 26 writers from various categories for the prestigious Hindi Sevi Samman Awards.
The awardees will receive Rs 5 lakh each, a citation and a shawl from President Pranab Mukherjee at a ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhavan in May.
10. Colson Whitehead’s celebrated novel The Underground Railroad has won the 2017 Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
List of 2017 Pulitzer Prize Winners is as follows: –
|Letters, Drama & Music|
|Fiction||The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead|
|Drama||Sweat by Lynn Nottage|
|History||Blood in the Water: The Attica Prison Uprising of 1971 and Its Legacy, by Heather Ann Thompson|
|Biography or Autobiography||The Return: Fathers, Sons and the Land in Between, by Hisham Matar|
|Poetry||Olio, by Tyehimba Jess (Wave Books)|
|General Nonfiction||Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City, by Matthew Desmond|
|Music||Angel’s Bone, by Du Yun|
|Public Service||New York Daily News and ProPublica|
|Breaking News Reporting||Staff of East Bay Times, Oakland|
|Investigative Reporting||Eric Eyre of Charleston Gazette-Mail, Charleston/|
|Explanatory Reporting||International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, McClatchy and Miami Herald|
|Local Reporting||The Salt Lake Tribune Staff|
|National Reporting||David A. Fahrenthold of The Washington Post|
|International Reporting||The New York Times Staff|
|Feature Writing||J. Chivers of The New York Times|
|Commentary||Peggy Noonan of The Wall Street Journal|
|Criticism||Hilton Als of The New Yorker|
|Editorial Writing||Art Cullen of The Storm Lake Times, Storm Lake|
|Editorial Cartooning||Jim Morin of Miami Herald|
|Breaking News Photography||Daniel Berehulak, freelance photographer|
|Feature Photography||Jason Wambsgans of Chicago Tribune|
11. Haldia Port topped the list in the first ever ranking of ports on sanitation.
Vizag port bagged the second rank.
The exercise was undertaken during the Swachhta Pakhwada observed from the 16th to 31st of March 2017.
12. Nobel Peace laureate Malala Yousafzai became only the sixth person to receive honorary Canadian citizenship.
She is also the youngest to receive honorary Canadian citizenship — a privilege previously granted to five others, including Nelson Mandela, the Dalai Lama and Myanmar’s Aung San Suu Kyi.
13. President Pranab Mukherjee conferred the Padma awards 2017 to 44 people at Rashtrapati Bhavan. Here is the list of awardees.
|Padma Vibhushan||Singer YesudasSpiritual leader Sadhguru Jaggi VasudevSunder Lal Patwa, the former Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh was awarded posthumously|
|Padma Bhushan||Pandit Vishwa Mohan BhattDevi Prasad DwivediJainacharya Vijay Ratnasundersuri MaharajaEminent Journalist Cho Ramaswamy was given the award posthumously|
|Padma Shri||Wrestler Sakshi MalikGymnast Dipa KarmakarParalympian Mariyappan ThangaveluDiscus Thrower Vikas GowdaRenowned chef Sanjeev KapoorMedia magnet H R ShahPadma Shri award was conferred on 37 personalities.|
Click here to read the Complete List of Padma Awards 2017 and its recipients.
14. Abdulqadir Rashik, an Indian Software Engineer has won the Unite Ideas UNGAViz Textual Analysis and Visualization Challenge for his ‘Global Policy’.
It is an open-source tool that enables users to search and interactively view General Assembly resolutions to gain a deeper understanding of the voting patterns and decisions made by United Nations Member States.
15. Padma Shri Dipa Karmakar, Olympic medalist Sakshi Malik and actor Alia Bhatt have made it to the Forbes’ Under 30 Achievers List.
The list features 300 impressive young entrepreneurs in 10 categories, including entertainment, finance and venture capital, retail, social entrepreneurs and enterprise technology.
With 53 Indians on the list, the country is second only to China which has 76 achievers.
16. Paduru Gururaja Bhat Award 2017 has been conferred upon Prof. A.V. Narasimha Murthy, Chairman, Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan (BVB), Mysuru.
Murthy was selected for the award in consideration of his contribution to Indian Archaeology, Ancient History and Numismatics.
17. Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has won the Time magazine’s Reader Poll of the 100 most influential people in the world.
He was closely followed by Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Pope Francis, Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates and Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg.
18. Tamil Nadu, Himachal Pradesh and Tripura for the Krishi Karman awards for their record performance in the production of food grains during 2015-16.
Apart from these states, Meghalaya would get commendation prize for total food grain production and would be given a cash award of Rs 1 crore.
19. UNESCO has named Giuseppina Nicolini, Mayor of Lampedusa (Italy) and the non-governmental organization SOS Mediterranean (France) as the winners of Felix Houphouet-Boigny Peace Prize 2017.
They received award for their work to save the lives of refugees and migrants and welcome them with dignity.
20. Raj Kumar, a Hindu youth from Pakistan has been selected for the prestigious Emerging Young Leaders Award given by the US State Department for the positive role played by youngsters in building sustainable peace.
10 youths across the world have been selected for the second edition of the award.
Those selected for the award include youngsters from Malta, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, Algeria, Tajikistan, Belgium, Vietnam, Peru and Israel.
21. The English translation of Perumal Murugan’s controversial Tamil novel Maadhorubaagan has won the Sahitya Akademi’s Translation Prize 2016.
The Novel titled One Part Woman, the translation in English is done by Aniruddhan Vasudevan and the book is published by Penguin.
22. Veteran actress Saira Banu and Actor Jackie Shroff were named for the prestigious Raj Kapoor Lifetime achievement award of the Maharashtra Government.
Noted Marathi actors Vikram Gokhale and Arun Nalawade were selected for the coveted V. Shantaram Lifetime Achievement and V.Shantaram Special Contribution annual awards.
23. Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Paytm founder Vijay Shekhar Sharma were included in an annual list of 100 most influential people in the world 2017 released by the Time magazine.
The magazine has also included US President Donald Trump, Russian President Vladimir Putin and British Prime Minister Theresa May in the new list of 100 most influential people.
24. Actor Aamir Khan and cricket icon Kapil Dev will receive the 75th Master Dinanath Mangeshkar Awards.
Amir Khan will be honoured with the Vishesh Puraskar for Best Film “Dangal”, while Dev for his outstanding contribution to Indian Cricket.
25. Gujarat Narmada Valley Fertilizers & Chemicals Ltd (GNFC) won the prestigious Golden Peacock Award.
The award recognizes the company’s contribution to innovative frameworks that will be the key for business success in the new millennium.
26. The 91-year-old gynaecologist, Bhakti Yadav was presented with the Padma Shri award at her residence as she was unable to attend the function organised in New Delhi.
The award aims to recognize her selfless service towards her patients, especially the ones from a poor background.
27. Actress Saiyami Kher, who made her Bollywood debut in Rakeysh Om Prakash Mehra’s film Mirzya, received the best debut award at the Dada Sahib Phalke Excellence Awards 2017.
28. US-based travel reviewer website TripAdvisor presented its 2017 World’s Best Destination Award to Indonesia’s resort island of Bali.
With this, Bali became the first Asian destination to earn the title.
Other World’s best Destination are- London (United Kingdom), Paris, (France), Rome (Italy), New York City (USA) and 20 others.
29. Palnar, a small village in Chhattisgarh’s Dantewada district grabbed an award from Prime Minister Narendra Modi for going 100 per cent cashless.
30. The Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (RGIA) at Shamshabad has been given the carbon neutrality status by Airports Council International (ACI) under its Airport Carbon Accreditation programme.
It was conferred with the carbon neutrality (level 3: neutrality) by the ACI at a ceremony held in Doha, Qatar.
31. Veteran actress- politician Hema Malini along with Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, filmmaker Shoojit Sircar and Zeenat Aman bagged the Dadasaheb Phalke Excellence Awards 2017.
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan won the award for the film Sarabjit.
Hema Malini won the Award in the category of Kala Shree.
Veteran Zeenat Aman received the Lifetime Achievement Award.
Shoojit Sircar bagged Creative Director Award for Pink.
Rohit Roy bagged the Best Negative Role in Film for Kaabil.
32. Nobel Prize Winner Kailash Satyarthi was awarded the Famous P C Chandra Award.
He was honored with the award for his Global Crusade against Child Slavery and Exploitative on Child Labour.
He received a trophy and a cheque of Rs 10 Lakhs at an Awards Ceremony in Kolkata, India.
33. Bollywood film Newton has won the best film honor at the Hong Kong International Film Festival. The lead actor of the film is Raj Kumar Rao. The main list of HKFA winners is as follows:
|Best Director||Frank Hui, Jevons Au and Vicky Wong (Trivisa)|
|Best Screenplay||Loong Man Hong, Thomas Ng and Mak Tin Shu (Trivisa)|
|Best Actor:||Gordon Lam (Trivisa)|
|Best Actress:||Kara Wai (Happiness)|
|Lifetime Achievement||Fong Yim-fun|
|Professional Achievement:||Yuen Tai-yung.|
34. Social activist Prafulla Samantra was announced one among six winners of the Goldman Environmental Prize.
He was awarded for his “historic 12-year legal battle that affirmed the indigenous Dongria Kondh’s land rights and protected the Niyamgiri Hills from a massive, open-pit aluminum ore mine.”
The other five winners for this year are: Mark Lopez (United States); Uroš Macerl (Slovenia); Rodrigo Tot (Guatemala); Rodrigue Katembo (Democratic Republic of Congo); and Wendy Bowman (Australia).
35. Astronaut Peggy Whitson broke the record for most cumulative days spent in space by an American astronaut.
She has surpassed Jeff Williams’ record of 534 days.
36. Renowned Director and actor Kasinathuni Viswanath has won the Dadasaheb Phalke award 2016 for his outstanding contribution to the film industry.
He will be the 48th recipient of the award, which consists of a golden lotus, a cash prize of Rs10 lakh and a shawl.
37. Vani Jairam, the versatile playback singer in the South Indian film industry, was presented with the Ghantasala National Award at a function held in Andhra Pradesh.
The award is instituted by the Ghantasala National Art Academy in Andhra Pradesh.
38. GMR Hyderabad International Airport Ltd. (GHIAL), has won the coveted Golden Peacock Business Excellence Award (GPBEA) 2017 in the large-scale industry-Transportation-Aviation category.
YES BANK Limited has been awarded the Golden Peacock Innovative Product/Service Award 2017.
Golden Peacock National Training Award was given to State Bank of India, Life Insurance Corporation of India and Bangalore International Airport Limited.
39. GNFC has won the prestigious Golden Globe Tigers Award for Excellence and Leadership in CSR for the year 2017 in the category of ‘E-Payment Leadership’.
GNFC has been awarded for the implementation of digital transactions in its township at Bharuch (Gujarat).
40. President Pranab Mukherjee was bestowed with a D Litt degree by the Goa University during the 29th annual convocation of the University at Dr. Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Stadium.
Goa Governor Mridula Sinha, who is also the university’s chancellor, awarded the degree to Mukherjee.
41. India’s youngest ever chancellor Dileep K Nair, has received Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar International Foundation Kerala State award for the year 2016-17.
He was awarded for his excellent performance in the field of education.
42. Microsoft Co-founder Bill Gates has praised PM Narendra Modi for the Swachh Bharat Mission.
He mentioned the mission’s aim of building 75 million toilets across India, and at present 30% of India’s villages are now open defecation free.
43. Srishti Kaur from India was crowned Miss Teen Universe 2017, beating 25 other contestants from around the world in the annual beauty pageant.
Samantha Pierre from Canada and Ary Trava from Mexico were the runners-up in the event held at the Ruben Dario National Theatre in Nicaragua’s capital Managua.
Kaur, a resident of Noida, also won the prize for Best National Costume.
44. Indian businessman Yusuf Ali has won the prestigious Queen’s Enterprise Award 2017.
He was awarded for its exceptional contribution to the UK’s trade, industry and economy.
45. Bhubaneswar has become the first Indian city to win Pierre L’enfant International Planning Excellence Award-2017 instituted by the American Planning Association (APA).
Bhubaneswar has been chosen for its good and advanced town planning and engaging its residents in the planning process.
46. The President of India presented CII President’s Award for Lifetime Achievement to Mr. Rahul Bajaj.
Kamal Kumbhar was conferred CII foundation Woman Exemplar Award.
47. Sankha Ghosh Bengal poet and literacy critic was honored with 52nd Jnanpith Award which was awarded by President Pranab Mukherjee.
He is a recipient of Sahitya Akademi and Padma Bhushan.
His literary works reflects a rare poetic style but also have deep reflection on the social issues.
48. The Hero MotoCorp has been conferred with the Indian MNC of the year award by All India Management Association for the rapid global enlargement of the brand “Hero”. Other awards are:
Arundhati Bhattacharya: Business leader of the year.
Dilip Shanghvi: Entrepreneur of the Year.
Rahul Sharma: Transformational Business Leader of the Year awards.
Nandan Nilekani: Outstanding Initiative of the year for India Stack.
Maruti Suzuki: MNC of the Year (in India).
Coal India Ltd: Outstanding PSU of the year.
Books & Authors
1. Goa-based author Luis de Assis Correia has recently released his book Portuguese India and Mughal Relations 1510-1735.
The book is already in controversies as the author has claimed that Jodhabai, Wife of Akbar was in fact a Portuguese woman, Dona Maria Mascarenhas.
2. The Entrepreneur’s Guidebook authored by Suresh Bharwani was launched by Union Minister of Power, Piyush Goyal.
It is a self-helpbook for establishing a credible business and making profit.
3. Former Union minister and senior Congress Leader M Veerappa Moily presented the first copy of his book ‘The Flaming Tresses of Draupadi’ to President Pranab Mukherjee.
The book Chronicles the epic character of Mahabharata, Draupadi.
4. The Vice President of India, Shri M. Hamid Ansari has received the first copy of the Book titled ‘Hope in a challenged democracy; An Indian narrative’ authored by Shri Ashwini Kumar, from the former Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh.
The former Chief Justice of India, Justice M.N. Venkatachaliah and other dignitaries were present on the occasion.
5. Prime Minister Narendra Modi released a book Matoshree authored by Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan in New Delhi.
The book covers the life and times of legendary Devi Ahilyabai Holker who ruled the Holkar Empire spread over the Malwa region from 1767 to 1795.
6. Salman Khan has launched the biography of actress Asha Parekh’s autobiography: The Hit Girl.
The book is authored by celebrated film critic and author Khalid Mohamed.
It covers the life and times of an actress who ruled the hearts of many in the 1960s and 1970s.
Mergers & Acquisitions
1. Canara Bank, a public-sector bank, has embarked upon an ambitious project of upgrading the bandwidth at all its branches to 2 Mbps in partnership with BSNL.
The project was officially inaugurated by Dina Bandhu Mohapatra, Executive Director, Canara Bank in presence of other top executives of the Bank and BSNL.
2. E-commerce major Flipkart raised USD 1.4 billion from Tencent, eBay and Microsoft at post transaction valuation of USD 11.6 billion.
In exchange for an equity stake in Flipkart, eBay is making a cash investment of USD 500 million and selling its India business to the company.
Even as eBay has sold its India business Flipkart, not all of its employees in India will be absorbed by the Bangalore-based company.
3. Yes Bank has announced alliance with com.
The bank will help Paisabazaar.com through its advanced analytics and data mining capabilities to offer customers of the financial marketplace with customized and conditionally approved offers across retail lending products.
Appointments & Resignations
1. An Indian Foreign Service officer, Vipul is expected to become the new Indian consul-general in Dubai.
He will succeed the current consul-general Anurag Bhushan.
Vipul is currently a joint secretary at the office of Indian External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj.
2. B P Kanungo took over as the Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI)f or a period of three years.
Prior to that, he was holding the position of Executive Director of RBI.
Three other Deputy Governors of the Reserve Bank of India are S S Mundra, N S Vishwanathan and Viral V Acharya.
3. Mahendra Singh Dhoni was named the chief executive officer of Gulf Oil India for a day.
He has been a brand ambassador for the firm since 2011.
4. Prof. David R. Syiemlieh took the oath as Chairman of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
Prior to joining UPSC, he was Vice Chancellor, Rajiv Gandhi University, Itanagar.
5. Senior IPS Officer Geeta Johari was appointed as new Director General of Police (DGP) of Gujarat.
With this, she became first woman IPS officer to be appointed as DGP of the state.
She will replace P.P. Pandey, who is acting DGP of the state.
6. Raman Roy has been appointed as the chairman of the National Association of Software and Services Companies (Nasscom).
He will replace CP Gurnani (Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Tech Mahindra).
7. The Reserve Bank of India has appointed Malvika Sinha as Executive Director.
She will take over the post from B P Kanungo who is now Deputy Governor of RBI.
8. hiva Kirti Singh was appointed as the chairman of the Telecom Disputes Settlement & Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT) for three years.
He was the former judge of Supreme court.
He will replace Justice Aftab Alam.
9. US President Donald Trump has nominated prominent Indian-American law expert Neomi Rao as Administrator of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs (OIRA) (regulatory czar).
She will oversee the US President’s plan to eliminate 75% of federal regulations.
10. US President Donald Trump has nominated Indian-American Vishal Amin as Intellectual Property Enforcement Coordinator in the Executive Office of the President (IP czar).
He will coordinate US law-enforcement strategy around copyright, patents and trademarks.
11. UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, announced the appointment of internationally acclaimed actress and philanthropist Kristin Davis as its Goodwill Ambassador.
Three years ago, Davis started her journey with UNHCR by travelling to Northern Uganda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, meeting South Sudanese refugees and hearing their stories.
12. Saraswat Co-operative Bankhas appointed Smita Sandhane as Managing Director of the bank with effect from 1st April 2017.
She is the first woman chief of India’s largest urban co-operative bank.
13. The Reserve Bank has appointed Malvika Sinha as Executive Directorfollowing the appointment of B P Kanungo as Deputy Governor.
As Executive Director, she will look after foreign exchange department, department of government and bank accounts and internal debt management wing, RBI said in a release.
14. Senior bureaucrats Ajit Kumar Srivastava and Shabri Bhattasali were appointed members of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT), the apex policy making body of the Income Tax department.
The role of the CBDT is to provide inputs for policy and planning of direct taxes in the country and the statutory authority also administers the direct tax laws through Income Tax Department.
15. Justice Gita Mittal has been appointed as the acting Chief justice of Delhi High Court with effect from 14th April 2017.
Her appointment comes at the backdrop of the retirement of current Chief justice Gorla Rohini.
She was appointed as the Chief Justice by exercising his powers conferred by article 223 of the Constitution of India.
16. Mahabaleshwara Mavinakudige Subrahmanya was appointed as the new MD and CEO of Karnataka Bank Ltd.
He will succeed Polali Jayarama Bhat.
17. Achim Steiner was named as the new administrator of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) by the UN chief Antonio Guterres.
He will succeed Helen Clark, a former New Zealand prime minister.
18. Dr. (Ms.) Mukulita Vijayawargiya took charge as Whole Time Member, the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India in New Delhi.
She will look after Administrative Law Wing, Information Technology, Limited Insolvency Examination, National Insolvency Examination, Finance and Accounts and Communication.
19. Shri Mahadevan Balakrishnan was appointed as the MD & CEO of India Post Payment Bank (IPPB).
He was appointed for the post for a period of 3 years or further orders, whichever is earlier.
20. N. Mohapatra has been appointed as the new Financial Commissioner (FC) (Railways) and ex-officio Secretary to the Government of India.
Prior to this posting, he was posted as Additional Member/ Finance.
21. Victoria Beckham was appointed the Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) for services to the fashion industry.
Prince William presented the honour to the pop singer turned fashion designer at the Buckingham Palace in London.
Victoria Caroline Beckham is an English businesswoman, fashion designer, model, and singer.
22. Ramanathan Ramanan was appointed as the Mission Director of the Atal Innovation Mission under the Niti Aayog.
He was appointed to the post for the period of two years.
Ramanan is presently working with Tata Consultancy Services.
23. BJP leader and Assam Badminton Association President Himanta Biswa Sarma was appointed Badminton Association of India’s interim head during its executive council meeting.
The post of president was left vacant after the sudden demise of former president Akhilesh Das Gupta.
24. Mridul Gehlot and Dinesh Patel were elected unanimously president and general secretary of Amateur Kabaddi Federation of India (AKFI).
The elections were held under the supervision of justice I S Israni.
25. The White House has named a retired Marine major general Randolph Ailes as the new Director of the Secret Service.
Ailes is replacing Joseph Clancy, who retired from the agency.
26. Etihad Aviation Group appointed Robin Kamark as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Airline Equity Partners.
Kamark will take over the position from Bruno Matheu, who has held the role since May 2016.
27. The government of Kazakhstan has appointed the Chairman of Kirtilals Jewelers Suraj Shantakumar as its Honorary Consul.
He was appointed as Honorary Consul for the southern states i.e Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, and Kerala.
28. Israel appointed its first female judge Hana Khatib in its Muslim sharia court system.
Khatib will be sworn in by Israeli President Reuven Rivlin in a few weeks.
29. Senior IPS officer Rajiv Rai Bhatnagar was appointed as the new Director General of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).
His appointment comes two days after the CRPF lost 25 jawans in the deadly Sukma attack.
He will be replacing acting DG Sudeep Lakhtakia.
30. R K Pachnanda was appointed as Director General of the Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP).
He will replace Krishna Chaudhary, who is set to retire in June this year.
Pachnanda is currently serving as DG of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF).
31. The Haryana Government appointed senior IPS officer Baljit Singh Prabhu as the new Director General of Haryana Police (DGP).
The 1984 batch IPS officer replacing K P Singh, who has been appointed as the Director General of Prisons.
He was previously serving as the Chairman and MD of Haryana Police Housing Corporation.
32. Nita Ambani has now been made a member of two important commissions of the global sport’s governing body, including the prestigious Olympic channel and the Olympic education Commission.
She would be one of the 16 members of the Olympic Channel Commission, which would be headed by United States Olympic Committee Chairman Lawrence Francis Probst.
33. T Krishnakumar, currently CEO of Hindustan Coca Cola Beverages, becomes Coca Cola India’s new chief.
He will replace Venkatesh Kini.
Economics & Banking GK
1. Following the merger of five associate banks and Bhartiya Mahila Bank with the State Bank of India, the bank has now got a new SBI Iogo.
With The merger, SBI will enter the league of Top 50 Global Banks with a balance sheet size of Rs. 41 trillion.
2. Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) has set another record in the wind power capacity addition by adding over 5400 MW in 2016-17 against the target of 4000 MW.
The leading states in the wind power capacity addition are Andhra Pradesh 2190 MW, followed by Gujarat 1275 MW and Karnataka 882 MW.
3. Tax evasion of over Rs 5 crore under the Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime would be a non-bailable offence.
The new regime also empowers police to make an arrest without warrant.
4. State Bank of India has reduced benchmark lending rate by 0.15 per cent to 9.10 per cent.
Base rate or the minimum lending rate of the bank has been reduced from 9.25 per cent to 9.10 per cent effective 1st April 2017.
The bank has also reduced its base rate by 0.05 per cent to 9.25 per cent. Similarly, Benchmark Prime Lending Rate (BPLR) has also been reduced by similar percentage points to 13.85 per cent from 14 per cent.
5. ICICI Bank and Axis Bank sold Rs. 1,800 crore of loans to paper maker Ballarpur Industries to Edelweiss Asset Reconstruction Company.
Axis Bank sold loans of Rs. 1,200 crore and ICICI Bank sold loans of Rs.600 crore.
6. Amazon.in announced the launch of Amazon Classroom to impart online selling skills to new sellers on the marketplace.
It will focus on areas such as order processing, adding products and managing returns that are required to operate a successful online business.
7. The board of the Reserve Bank of India has cleared a proposal to introduce banknotes of Rs 200 denomination.
The process of printing the new Rs 200 notes is likely to begin after June.
8. The Asian Development Bank (ADB) announced that India’s growth rate will improve to 7.4 per cent during 2017-18.
It will rise further to 7.6 per cent in the next fiscal.
9. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has announced the First monetary policy of the current fiscal year 2017-18.
Repo rate kept unchanged at 6.25%.
Reverse repo rate has been increased to 6%.
Marginal Standing Facility (MSF) and the bank rate have been fixed at 6.50%.
Inflation to average at 4.5 per cent in the first half of the year and 5 per cent in the second half.
10. Micro blogging site Twitter had rolled out Twitter Lite version in India.
It will use up to 70% less data than the standard version and load 30% faster on slow or unreliable networks and take up less space on devices.
11. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to cut the clearance time for National Electronic Funds Transfer (NEFT).
This move will enhance the efficiency of the NEFT system and add to customer convenience.
12. According to the 2017 Salary Trends Study released by Randstad, FMCG industry has emerged as the highest paying industry in India with annual CTC of Rs 11.3 lakh.
It is followed by power and the IT sector, where employees earn average annual salaries at Rs. 9.8 lakh and Rs. 9.3 lakh, respectively.
13. The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has clarified that the ban on cash transaction in excess of Rs. 2 lakhs will not be applicable to withdrawals from banks and post office savings accounts.
Central Government has banned cash transactions of over 2 lakhs through the Finance Act 2017.
14. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to slash clearance time for National Electronic Funds Transfer (NEFT) to enhance efficiency of the electronic payment system and add to customer convenience.
In line with the document on Vision-2018 for Payment and Settlement Systems, the NEFT settlement cycle will be reduced from hourly batches to half hourly batches, the RBI said in the first bi-monthly monetary policy for 2017-18.
15. ESAF Small Finance Bank has launched a social deposit scheme called Hrudaya Deposit at a function held in Thrissur.
The deposit scheme, as the name suggests, stands for a social cause, through which, ESAF Bank provides the customers an opportunity to be a part in social welfare projects, which none of the other banks has given so far, said K. Paul Thomas, Managing Director and CEO, ESAF Small Finance Bank.
16. The Bank Board Bureau (BBB) has recommended that Government should bring in reforms in the compensation process in public sector banks (PSBs) on the lines of Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs).
BBB has suggested compensation reforms in PSBs so that best practices can be introduced ‘on the lines already prevalent in CPSEs.
17. Manappuram Finance will launch its own co-branded prepaid card in tie-up with YES Bank in its efforts to promote digital financial transactions.
Prepaid Money Card can be pre-loaded up to a maximum amount of Rs 50,000 and then be used to withdraw money from all ATMs.
It can also be used for online transactions and at merchant establishments with PoS terminals.
18. The Income tax department has asked financial institutions (FIs) to ask their non-resident US-based account holders to provide self-certification of their 2014-15 (July-August) accounts by 30th April 2017.
If norms under the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) are violated, these accounts will be blocked till the self-certification is received.
19. The Union government has constituted an Inter-Disciplinary Committee to examine framework for virtual Currencies.
The committee is required to submit its report within three months.
20. The CCEA has approved increase in the Minimum Support Price (MSP) for raw Jute for 2017-18 season in order to protect the economic interests of the farmers.
The MSP was increased to Rs. 3500/- per quintal for 2017-18 season, an increase of Rs. 300/- (9.4%) over the previous year.
21. President Pranab Mukherjee has given his approval to four supporting legislations related to Goods and Services Tax (GST).
The legislations were The Central GST Act, 2017, The Integrated GST Act, 2017, The GST (Compensation to States) Act, 2017, and The Union Territory GST Act, 2017.
22. The Bank Boards Bureau (BBB) has drawn up an elaborate Governance, Reward and Accountability Framework (GRAF).
The GRAF seeks to ensure that corporate governance at PSBs is in keeping with various pieces of legislation, including the Companies Act, 2013, Banking Regulation Act, 1949, and SEBI Regulations, 2015.
23. IRDAI has launched a web portal for insurers – irda.gov.in, that will allow them to register and sell policies online.
Earlier, IRDAI had issued guidelines on e-commerce for insurance sector.
24. According to a new World Bank report titled Globalization Backlash -India’s gross domestic product is expected to spike to 7.2% in the 2017-’18 financial year from 6.8% the previous fiscal.
The international agency forecast that India’s economic growth will rise gradually to 7.7% in 2019-2020.
25. Inflation based on the Wholesale price index (WPI) slipped to 5.70% in March.
The WPI inflation, reflecting the annual rate of price rise, in February was 6.55%.
26. Punjab National Bank (PNB) has launched three new products on the occasion of its 123rd Foundation Day.
These are: automated electronic toll collection to facilitate hassle-free toll payment/collection; credit card mobile app; and a scheme for financing grid connected roof solar power projects.
A mobile app to facilitate PNB staff to do their HR-related operations was also launched.
27. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) said that the sub-Committee of the Financial Stability and Development Council (FSDC) has decided to set up a Computer Emergency Response Team for the Financial Sector (CERT-Fin).
The sub-committee reviewed the major developments on the global and domestic fronts that impinge on the financial stability of the country.
28. International Monetary Fund has retained its India growth forecast for FY18 at 7.2 per cent and FY19 at 7.7 per cent, well ahead of its forecast for China.
The IMF has also predicted that the global economy would grow at 3.5% in 2017, up from 3.1 % last year, and 3.6% in 2018.
29. The Reserve Bank of India has opened a new ombudsman office in Jammu as part of its efforts to expand banking grievances complaint cells across the country.
Earlier, the banking services related complaints from entire Jammu & Kashmir used to fall under the jurisdiction of New Delhi-I banking ombudsman office.
30. State Bank of India (SBI) surpassed ONGC to become the country’s most valued state-owned firm in terms of market valuation.
At the end of trade, the market cap of SBI stood at Rs 2,35,307.51 crore.
This is about Rs 2,961.79 crore more than that of PSU energy major ONGC’s Rs 2,32,345.72 crore.
31. Nomura has launched its ‘Voyager -Nomura FinTech Partnership’ in India to encourage entrepreneurship in the financial market space.
32. Master card unveiled a payment card in South Africa featuring a biometric fingerprint scanner.
Instead of a card user enters a PIN number, the payment card features a small biometric area designed to verify the user’s fingerprint.
33. The Central Government has raised Rs. 1,200 crore by divesting 9.2% of paid-up capital in National Aluminum Company Ltd. (NALCO).
With this disinvestment, Government’s shareholding in NALCO has become 65.37%.
34. Reliance Industries has regained its status as India’s most valued firm by market capitalization, overtaking Tata Group’s crown jewel TCS.
Shares of RIL were trading 3.43 per cent higher at Rs 1,416.40 on BSE, giving the company a market capitalization of Rs 4,60,291.20 crore, the highest for any listed firm in the country.
35. India Post Payment Bank (IPPB) is planning a mega expansion to open 650 branches this year.
The first two branches of IPPB were opened in January 2017 in Ranchi and Raipur.
The focus of the payment bank will be on door-step banking.
36. Microfinance Institutions Network (MFIN) has launched a financial literacy mobile app for microfinance clients.
It is aimed to help microfinance clients in understanding the dynamics involved in microfinance, including credit history, interest rates, repayment cycles and their rights as a borrower.
37. Markets regulator SEBI has barred resident as well as non-resident Indians (NRIs) from making investments through participatory notes (P-Notes).
This was done to curb black money in the market.
P-notes are mostly used by overseas individual investors, hedge funds and foreign institutions to invest in the Indian securities markets through registered foreign institutional investors (FIIs).
38. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will soon put into circulation new 5 Re. coins to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Allahabad High Court.
New 10 Re. coins have also been minted to commemorate the 125th year of National Archives of India.
On the design of new Rs 5 coin, the coin’s face will bear an image depicting centre facade of Allahabad High Court Building emerging from the book.
On the design of new Rs 10 coin, on the reverse of the coin, there will be an image of National Archives Building in the centre with inscription ‘125 YEARS’ below the image.
39. Payments app Paytm launched Digital gold on its platform to allow customers to buy and sell gold through electronic platform.
The product was launched in partnership with gold refiner MMTC – PAMP.
Paytm claims users will be able to purchase 24 K 999.9 purity gold starting from 1 gram.
40. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) issued draft guidelines on cross border merger transactions.
The guidelines are in accordance with the rules notified by Union Ministry of Corporate Affairs through Companies Amendment Rules, 2017.
RBI proposed these Regulations under the Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1999 (FEMA).
41. According to International Monetary Fund analysis, India will surpass Germany as the world’s fourth-largest economy by 2022 and push UK out of the top five in 2017.
India has to address a lot of issues in order to make the climb like implementing the Goods and Services Tax (GST), increasing productivity and employment opportunities etc.
Bills – New & Amendments
1. Iceland’s parliament has presented a bill to make equal payments for men and women.
The new law aims to close a seven percent wage gap between men and women in the island nation.
2. The Lok Sabha has passed the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill, 2016 by a voice vote to give more thrust to road safety, controlling pollution and accidents.
The bill seeks to amend the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 that provides for legal standards for motor vehicles, grant of driving licenses, and penalties for violation of these provisions.
3. Parliament has passed the HIV and AIDS (Prevention and Control) Bill, 2017.
The Bill seeks to safeguard the rights of people living with HIV and affected by HIV.
It aims to prevent social stigma and discrimination against people living with HIV (PLHIV).
4. Lok Sabha has passed Constitution 123rd Amendment Bill, 2017 which seeks to give constitutional status to National Commission for Backward Classes.
The bill was passed by the house with 360 MPs voting in favor and 2 against the bill.
5. The Law Commission has recommended action against striking lawyers and allowing entry of foreign lawyers and law firms, among other changes, in the proposed Advocates (Amendment) Bill, 2017.
Bar Council of India has planned to submit a memorandum to the Union Law Minister to reject the Law Commissions suggestions to amend the Act.
6. The agriculture ministry has unveiled The State/UT Agricultural Produce and Livestock Marketing (promotion and facilitation) Act, 2017
It was done in order to give more freedom to farmers to sell their produce.
The Act defined each state/UT as a single unified market area.
7. Bihar Legislative Assembly and Legislative Council unanimously adopted the Bihar Goods and Service Tax (GST) Bill, 2017 along with Bihar Taxation (Amendment) Bill, 2017.
With the passage of the bills, Bihar has become the second state, after Telangana, to ratify the legal framework for the rollout of the GST in the state.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)
1. India and Malaysia has signed seven MoU during Malaysian Prime Minister Nazib Razak visit to India. Mou’s signed are:
|MoU’s||Objectives of MoU signed|
|1.||Air Service Agreement between India and Malaysia|
|2.||Proposed development of a urea and ammonia manufacturing plant in Malaysia.|
|3.||Cooperation in the field of sports through exchange of sportspersons, etc.|
|4.||Signed between Entrepreneurship Development Institute (EDII), Ahmedabad, and Malaysian Human Resource Fund.|
|5.||Signed between Association of Indian Universities (AIU) and Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) on mutual recognition of educational qualifications.|
|6.||Signed between the Malaysian Palm Oil Board (MPOB) and Institute of Chemical Technology (ICT), India, on collaboration in technology development in the field of palm oil.|
|7.||Signed between MIGHT Technology Malaysia and Andhra Pradesh Economic Development Board on implementation of a fourth-generation technology park in Andhra Pradesh|
2. The Union Cabinet has approved few MoU’s between The Union Cabinet has approved few MoU’s between India and Bangladesh. They are:
|MoU||Objective to sign MoU|
|1.||Cooperation in the field of Mass Media|
|2.||Audio Visual Co-Production|
|3.||Fairway development on Ashuganj-Zakiganj stretch of Kushiyara river and Sirajganj-Daikhawa stretch of Jamuna river|
|4.||In the field of judicial sector cooperation|
|5.||Passenger cruise services on the coastal and protocol routes|
3. Tripura Government has signed two agreements with the Union Ministry of Power to enhance power supply in distribution network.
The agreements will enable state to get the benefits under the Central government scheme.
As per the agreements, state has accepted the provision of UDAY and Transmission Service Agreement of Union Power Ministry to upgrade the existing transmission.
4. The Union Cabinet has approved the MoU between India and Australia on cooperation in the field of Health and Medicine.
The main areas of cooperation are: Communicable diseases such as Tuberculosis and Malaria. Non-Communicable Diseases and Mental Health etc.
5. The Union Cabinet has approved the signing of the Air Services Agreement (ASA) between India and Georgia.
Its objective is to improve the air connectivity between the two countries.
6. The Union Cabinet has approved MoU between India and France to implement Technical Cooperation Program in civil aviation sector.
Cabinet has also approved collaborative Agreement with French National Research Agency (ANR) for supporting the Belmont Forum Secretariat.
7. The Government of India and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed a $175 million loan agreement to support construction of high voltage transmission systems.
The aim is to evacuate power generated from new mega solar parks to the interstate grid, and improve reliability of the national grid system.
8. India and Australia have singed six agreements in various fields such as terrorism, sports, health, environment, aviation sector to boost bilateral cooperation.
Cooperation in Sports
Cooperation in the field of Health and Medicine
Cooperation in the field of Environment, Climate and Wildlife
Promotion and Development of Cooperation in Civil Aviation Security
Cooperation in Combatting International Terrorism and Transnational Organized Crime
Implementation arrangement between ISRO and Geoscience Australia on Cooperation in Earth Observation and Satellite Navigation
9. The Union Cabinet has approved signing of MoU for establishment of the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) Grid Interconnection.
It provides broad framework for members to cooperate towards implementation of grid interconnections for electricity trade to promote rational and optimal power transmission in BIMSTEC region.
10. The Indian Academy of Highway Engineers signed MoU with University of New South Wales (UNSW) to set up a Centre for Advanced Transportation Technology and Systems (CATTS).
It aims to influence and adopt global innovation into the transportation sector.
11. The Uttar Pradesh government has signed Power for All pact with the Centre to provide 24×7 power supply to all the households in the State
As a part of this pact, 10,000 energy efficiency solar- panel pumps will be distributed through Centre’s undertaking, Energy Efficiency Services (EESL).
In addition, it has been agreed to distribute energy efficient bulbs, tube lights and fans at cheaper rates.
12. A MoU was signed between the National Scheduled Castes Finance and Development Corporation (NSFDC) and the Development Commissioner (Handlooms) in New Delhi.
The objective of this MoU is to help Scheduled Caste weavers and their families by promoting the production and marketing of high value, quality handlooms products at Block Level Cluster in various States like Gujarat, Maharashtra, Rajasthan and Odisha.
13. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has signed MoU with the Royal Monetary Authority of Bhutan for information sharing.
The objective of such pacts is to promote greater co- operation and share supervisory information.
14. The Rajasthan government has signed a MoU with Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited to resume the big infra project.
The reworked agreement would bring down the state’s financial burden from Rs 56,000 crore to about Rs 16,000 crore, saving the exchequer about Rs 40,000 crore.
This agreement brings the state’s monetary support slightly down to Rs 3,738 crore.
15. The governments of India and South Korea signed a MoU to strengthen their bilateral cooperation in defence shipbuilding.
According to the MoU, the two countries under the broader term of a special strategic partnership will be nominating one shipyard each for the project.
16. Tata Power signed the Distribution Franchise Agreement (DFA) with Ajmer Vidyut Vitran Nigam Ltd (AVVNL).
The aim is to cater to power requirements of customers in Ajmer for a period of 20 years.
17. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has announced signing of an MoU with the Bank of Guyana on Supervisory Cooperation and Exchange of Supervisory Information.
RBI signed the MoU, Letter for Supervisory Co-operation and Statement of Co-operation with supervisors of a few countries to promote greater co-operation and share supervisory information.
18. The Maharashtra government recently signed a MoU with the Indian Railways, under which trees will be planted on the land adjacent to the railway tracks in the state.
The government is committed to plant 4 crore trees on 1st July 2017.
The state Forest department had planted 2 crore 83 lakh trees across the state on 1st July 2016, a feat recognized by the Limca Book of world records.
19. China and Iran have signed the first agreement on the reconfiguration of Iran’s Arak reactor.
The deal was concluded between the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) and a Chinese company at the official ceremony in the Austrian capital Vienna.
20. State Bank of India (SBI) and CREDAI have signed MoU to provide loans at a concessional rate to builders as well as customers for affordable housing projects.
The MoU was signed to collaborate and work towards the development of the real estate sector, specifically through the affordable housing and green housing projects.
The duration of the agreement is for a period of three years.
21. India and Armenia have signed three agreements. The Three agreements are:
The two countries signed a MoU on peaceful uses of outer space.
Another MoU on cooperation in youth matters and a program of cultural cooperation for the years 2017-2020.
The two countries are celebrating the 25th anniversary of their diplomatic ties.
22. India and Sri Lanka have signed a MoU on cooperation on economic projects.
The MoU proposes Indian investment in development of port and oil tank farms in Trincomalee, setting up of a LNG power plant and terminal, piped gas supply in capital Colombo, highway and railway projects in north and east of the country.
23. India and Cyprus have signed four agreements following delegation-level talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades in New Delhi. Both the countries signed:
An executive programme on culture, education and scientific cooperation for the years 2017 to 2020.
A work plan under a programme of cooperation in agriculture for the period 2017-2018.
Agreement on cooperation in the area of merchant shipping.
Agreement to boost air services between the two countries.
24. A tripartite MoU has been signed between BBNL, Department of Posts and BSNL to provide broadband connectivity of BharatNet to Post Offices in rural areas.
BSNL would provide broadband services.
The infrastructure expenses and the operational expenses would be paid by the Department of Posts.
BBNL would facilitate and coordinate the entire project.
Science & Technology
1. A team of scientists for the first time have seen indications of a massive planet orbiting a low mass X-ray binary star system.
The system MXB 1658-298 is an X-ray binary and a part of the constellation Ophiuchus (serpent bearer).
2. The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) approved the procurement of a fresh batch of Barak surface-to-surface missiles for naval warships.
This procurement will help to enhance India’s maritime capability.
DAC approved capital acquisition totalling over Rs 860 crore, including for the purchase of Barak missiles.
3. Android has overtaken Windows Microsoft to become internet’s most used Operating system.
Android users represented 37.93 percent of activity on StatCounter’s network versus 37.91 percent for the Microsoft Windows operating system.
Apple’s iOS remains the third most used operating system to access the internet.
4. North Korea has fired a ballistic missile from its east coast into the sea off the Peninsula from Sinpo.
The missile was launched at a high angle and reached an altitude of 189 km and flew about 60 kilometres.
5. Israel Aerospace Industries would supply medium-range surface-to-air missile systems and long-range air and missile defence systems to India.
Israel has signed a USD 2 billion contract with India to supply it with missile defence systems.
6. Scientists from Boston University School of Medicine, US have discovered a protein that could help make vaccinations more effective and provide protection from diseases such as cancer.
They had purified a protein found on the exterior of bacteria – neisseria meningitis and used it as an accessory to provide a better vaccination response.
7. Astronomers using NASA’s Kepler space telescope have discovered a Venus-like planet orbiting a dim star called Kepler-1649.
The newly found planet is one-fifth the diameter of our Sun and is only slightly larger than Earth.
It is located 219 light years away from Earth.
8. Scientists at CSIR-National Institute of Oceanography (NIO) have developed a robotic platform, Seabed Resident Event Profiler (SREP).
It is capable of being stationed at any water depth from 0-200 metres to track the oceanic processes.
The robot has been designed to regularly record the water column information at every 10 to 25 cm during every profile four times a day.
9. China’s first cargo spacecraft Tianzhou-1 was launched into space on 24th April 2017 to dock with the orbiting experimental space station.
The cargo spacecraft was transferred with a Long March-7 Y2 carrier rocket from the testing centre to the launch zone in Wenchang.
10. Naval Ship INS Chennai, a P15A Guided Missile Destroyer, was dedicated to Chennai in the presence of the chief minister of Tamil Nadu and the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Eastern Naval Command.
It is the largest-ever destroyer to be built in India.
11. The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is planning to enter into a joint venture with a conglomerate of industries to build launch vehicles.
The first launch of the vehicle is scheduled to take place between 2020 and 2021.
12. Tata Motors has unveiled India’s first conceptualized, designed and manufactured articulated industrial robot called BRABO stands for Bravo Robot.
The robot has been developed indigenously for micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) in India.
The robot is primarily developed to complement the human workforce and repeatedly perform high volume, dangerous and time-consuming tasks ranging from handling of raw materials to packaging of finished products.
13. ISRO is all set to undertake the first developmental flight of a ‘game-changer’ rocket GSLV-Mk III-D1 in May 2017.
It will have the capacity to launch four-tonne class of satellites.
14. NASA has captured a region of Mars sprayed with strange-shaped secondary craters.
The new images show the region of the red planet with secondary carters from 10-kilometer Zunil Crater to the north-west.
15. Astronomers have discovered yet another planet, called LHS1140b, which is expected to be present in the Goldilocks Zone.
It is found orbiting around the star LHS 1140 some 39 light-years away.
16. Indian Navy successfully undertook the firing of BrahMos Land Attack Supersonic Cruise Missile from a ship.
This variant of Long Range BrahMos Missile was fired from Indian Naval Ship Teg.
BrahMos Missile has been jointly developed by India and Russia, and its Anti-Ship variant has already been inducted into Indian Navy.
17. NASA launched its football-stadium-sized, heavy-lift super pressure balloon (SPB) from Wanaka, New Zealand.
The super-pressure balloon test flight is now on a mission designed to run 100 or more days.
18. Google introduced the first code for its new feature Copyless Paste in its Chrome app running on Android OS.
The new feature will take data from Chrome usage and use that to improve the experience in other apps.
Copyless Paste feature will automatically copy the useful information and will suggest it for pasting in apps where it might be relevant.
19. China has launched its first domestically built aircraft carrier ‘(Type 001A)’, which was bought from Ukraine.
The launching ceremony took place in Dalian, Liaoning province, China.
20. Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management-Kerala (IIITM-K) has launched an application named Kaapi Soil Health Management and Monitoring (Kshemam) app.
It aims to provide soil nutrient information and fertilizer recommendation for coffee plantation owners.
The app will help in proper identification of optimum levels of fertilizer use.
21. NASA scientists have discovered a new planet- OGLE-2016-BLG-1195lb- or Iceball Planet that has the same mass as Earth and orbits its star from the same distance as Earth orbits the sun.
The newly discovered planet is nearly 13,000 light-years away and orbits a small star.
22. The Cassini spacecraft begins a series of dives into the space between Saturn and its magnificent rings.
A series of 22 orbits that will bring Cassini increasingly closer to Saturn’s surface before crashing into it, is called the spacecraft’s grand finale.
To mark this final journey, Cassini is being honored with a Google Doodle.
23. India successfully test-fired its intermediate-range ballistic missile Agni-III from Abdul Kalam Island off the Odisha coast.
The missile is 17 metres long, with two-metre diameter, and weighs around 2,200 kg.
24. North Korea has test-fired a ballistic missile KN-17 defying global pressure and warnings from the United States and its mainly, China.
The test was conducted from the Pukchang region present in the north of the North Korean capital, Pyongyang.
25. The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will launch five communication satellites by the year-end.
The satellites launched by the ISRO and their purposes in the areas of weather forecasting, disaster management, space exploration, geo-spatial applications, education and agriculture.
1. International day for Mine Awareness and Assistance in Mine Action is observed every year on 4th April.
The day is celebrated to raise awareness about landmines and work towards their eradication.
The theme for 2017 is Needs Driven, People Centred.
2. National Maritime Day of India is observed every year on 5th April.
On this day in 1919, S S Loyalty, the first ship of the Scindia Steam Navigation Company, journeyed to the United Kingdom.
3. International Day of Sport for Development and Peace (IDSDP) was observed across the world on 6th April 2017.
It commemorates the inauguration of the first Olympic games of the modern era, in Athens (Greece) in 1896.
The day recognizes the power of sport in promoting peace and erasing cultural barriers worldwide.
4. The World Health Day is a global health awareness day celebrated every year on 7th April, under the sponsorship of the World Health Organization (WHO).
The Theme for the year 2017 is Depression: Let’s talk.
5. The World Homoeopathy Day is observed every year on 10th April to pay tribute to Christian Friedrich Samuel Hahnemann, founder and father of Homeopathy system of medicine.
This year it is 262nd birth anniversary of the founder of Homoeopathy.
This year the theme was “Enhancing Quality Research in Homoeopathy through scientific evidence and rich clinical experiences”.
6. Birth anniversary of Dr. B R Ambedkar (14th April) will be observed as Water Day in the country to sensitize people about managing precious water resources.
Ambedkar, besides being instrumental in framing the country’s Constitution, was also responsible for a definite all-India policy on managing water resources in India.
7. World Haemophilia Day is observed every year on 17th April to raise awareness about the disease and increase the availability of its treatment around the world.
The theme for 2017 is Lighting it up Red.
8. Every year on 18th April, International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS) celebrates the International Day for Monuments and Sites or World Heritage Day.
The theme for 2017 is Cultural Heritage & Sustainable Tourism.
9. Government of India has taken a decision to observe the 21st of April every year as Civil Services Day.
The purpose for this day is to rededicate and recommit civil servants to the cause of the people.
10. Earth Day is observed every year on 22nd April across the globe to diversify, educate and activate the environmental movement worldwide.
The theme for 2017 is Environmental & Climate Literacy.
It aims to empower everyone with the knowledge of climate change in order to inspire action towards environmental protection.
11. World Day For Animals In Laboratories also known as World Lab Animal Day is observed every year on 24th April.
The National Anti-Vivisection Society (NAVS) describe the day as an “international day of commemoration for animals in laboratories.
12. 24th April is celebrated as National Panchayati Raj Diwas every year.
This day marks the passing of the Constitution (73rd Amendment) Act, 1992 that came into force with effect from 24 April 1993.
13. The World Book and Copyright Day is celebrated every 23rd April, a symbolic date in remembrance of the deaths of two major authors: William Shakespeare and Miguel de Cervantes.
By celebrating this Day, UNESCO seeks to promote reading, publishing and the protection of copyright.
14. English Language Day at the UN is celebrated on 23rd April, observed as both the birthday and date of death of William Shakespeare.
The day is the result of a 2010 initiative by the Department of Public Information, establishing language days for each of the Organization’s six official languages.
15. World Malaria Day is observed globally on 25th April every year.
The global theme for World Malaria Day 2017 is End Malaria for Good.
World Malaria Day is an occasion to highlight the need for continued investment and sustained political commitment for malaria prevention and control.
16. International Chernobyl Disaster Remembrance Day observed on 26th April 2017.
The day is celebrated to commemorate the victims of explosion at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in 1986 that spread a radioactive cloud over large parts of the Soviet Union Federation.
Nearly 8.4 million people in the Belarus, Ukraine and Russia were exposed to the radiation.
17. World Intellectual Property Day (WIP) is celebrated on 26th April to learn about the role that intellectual property rights (patents, trademarks, industrial designs, copyright) play in encouraging innovation and creativity.
WIP Day is organized by World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
Theme for 2017 – Innovation – Improving Lives.
18. The World Day for Safety and Health at work was observed across the world on 28th April 2017.
The theme of 2017 is Optimize the collection and use of occupational Safety and Health (OSH).
It focuses on the critical need for countries to improve their capacity to collect and utilize reliable occupational safety and health (OSH) data.
19. International Dance Day is celebrated every year on 29th April to create awareness of dance as an art form across the world.
The day was introduced in 1982 by the International Dance Council (CID, Conseil International de la Danse), a UNESCO partner NGO.
20. The Day of remembrance of all victims of chemical Warfare was observed on 29th April by the United Nations (UN).
This commemoration will provide an opportunity to pay tribute to the victims of chemical warfare.
It also promotes the goals of peace, security, and multilateralism.
21. World Immunization Week 2017 is being observed across the globe between 24 April and 30 April 2017.
The theme for the 2017 World Immunization Week is VaccinesWork.
The theme aims to raise awareness about the critical importance of full immunization throughout life, and its role in achieving the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals.
Recent Notable Deaths
1. Noted author and filmmaker Ajay Jhankar passed away in a private hospital.
He was the writer of well-known Marathi novel Sarkarnama.
He later produced the Marathi movie with the same name in 1998, which had won many awards.
2. Renowned Hindustani classical vocalist Kishori Amonkar passed away after a brief illness.
She was recognized as one of the foremost singers in the Hindustani tradition and as an innovative exponent of the Jaipur gharana.
3. Badminton Association of India (BAI) president and former Union Minister Akhilesh Das Gupta passed away after suffering a heart attack.
He was a prominent Educationist, Professor, Indian Politician & Philanthropist.
He held the office of the Minister for Steel from January 2006 till May 2008 under Dr. Manmohan Singh Government during UPA-I.
4. Former Jammu and Kashmir governor Girish Chandra Saxena has died after a brief illness.
He took charge as the Jammu and Kashmir Governor for the first time on 26th May 1990 and continued in the post till 13th March 1993.
He was re-appointed in 1998.
5. Robert Taylor, a pioneer of Modern Computing and the Internet has passed away at the age of 85.
He was instrumental in creating the internet and the modern personal computer.
Taylor’s engineering team was also responsible for the development of Ethernet and a word processing program, Microsoft Word.
6. A top-ranking leader of the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist [CPI-Maoist], Narayan Sanyal has passed away in a south Kolkata hospital.
He was among the last links between the Charu Majumdar-led CPI(ML) – considered the father of leftwing insurgency in India.
7. Britain’s Olympic high jump silver medallist Germaine Mason died after a crash in Jamaica.
Mason was born in Jamaica but represented Britain in the 2008 summer Olympics in Beijing.
He won a silver medal in the high jump, with a personal best of 2.34 meters.
8. Senior journalist and columnist, Nora Chopra passed away following a period of illness.
She was actively engaged in her work till her premature demise.
Chopra was widely respected for being a passionate, spirited and combative journalist.
9. Senior National Conference (NC) leader and former speaker of Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly, Ali Mohammad Naik, passed away.
He had served as general secretary of Plebiscite Front under NC founder and former chief minister Sheikh Mohammad Abdullah.
10. Veteran actor and sitting BJP MP Vinod Khanna passed away at the age of 70 after a difficult battle with cancer.
Khanna has featured in as many as 146 films. Some of his famous films are Mere Apne, Insaaf and Amar, Akbar, Anthony.
11. Tamil actor and writer Vinu Chakravarthy, who had starred in over 1,000 films, breathed his last on 27 April 2017.
Vinu Chakravarthy has acted in more than 1000 movies in Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam languages.
He is known for his comedian, supporting and villainous roles.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
Image Courtesy: Google Images