Read Current Affairs of last month online, all summarized well into one digest GK Eduwrap. Also, covering all the latest questions of General Knowledge asked in General Awareness for Bank PO.
Choose the Section You’d like to Read – Use these links!
|Science & Technology Events|
|Awards & Honours List|
|Appointments GK Updates|
|Recent Deaths Updates|
To get the Monthly Current Affairs & GK Eduwrap in PDF Format, please click the button below -
National Current Affairs | Access the Latest Happenings across India
1. The Minister of State for Home Affairs, Kiren Rijiju has inaugurated 7th Edition of ‘Kathakar: International Storytellers Festival’ at the Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA), New Delhi.
Kathakar is a special initiative to promote the oral storytelling tradition which has existed across the world.
2. The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare launched the National Strategic Plan 2017-24 which aimed at eradicating HIV/AIDS by 2030.
It was launched on the World AIDS Day.
3. The Telangana Government is going to set up the world’s first Information and Technology (IT) Campus for differently-abled persons (divyangs) in state capital Hyderabad.
The aim is to focus on creating employment opportunities for persons with disabilities (PWDs).
4. The first International Exhibition and Conference on AYUSH and Wellness Sector- AROGYA 2017 was held in New Delhi.
It was organized by FICCI in collaboration with Union Ministry of AYUSH and Ministry of Commerce & Industry and Pharmaceuticals Export Promotion Council (Pharmexcil).
Its theme was ‘Enhancing the global potential of AYUSH’.
5. The 22nd Conference of Asian Harmonization Working Party (AHWP) was recently held in New Delhi.
The key objective of the conference was to develop and recommend approaches for convergence and harmonization of medical device regulations in Asia.
6. The first International Conference on Sports Medicine & Sports Sciences SAICON 2017 was held in New Delhi.
The aim was to promote scientific temperament in the country and inspire students, researchers and educationists alike to take up sports science and research to the next level.
7. The MSME has launched Public Procurement Portal MSME Sambandh for monitoring of Public Procurement Policy.
The objective of the portal is to monitor the implementation of the Public Procurement from MSEs by the Central Public-Sector Enterprises (CPSEs).
8. Goa CM Manohar Parrikar has launched the Jai Kisaan App, a farmer engagement app packed with features and functions to fulfill the needs of the farmers community in India.
It is a one-stop solution for agricultural information and cultivation, covering crop nutrition, protection, seeds, and diagnostic services.
9. The HUA Ministry has approved the construction of 1.12 lakh more affordable houses for urban poor under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban).
There will be an investment of Rs 8,105 crore for construction of these houses. The Centre will provide an assistance of Rs 1,681 crore for their construction.
10. The 6th International Tourism Mart was inaugurated by Assam Government in Guwahati, Assam on 5th December 2017.
The mart aims to put special emphasis on India’s Act East Policy, blossoming ties with ASEAN and the larger East Asia region and India’s emerging tourism markets.
11. Indian Railways will accept payments through UPI and BHIM app for booking railway tickets from reservation counters.
12. Karnataka is the second safest state in South India, after Andhra Pradesh, and has one of the lowest crime rates in the country.
The data has been provided according to Crime in India – 2016 report by the NCRB.
13. The central government has decided to set up two examination centres in Kashmir Valley- Srinagar and Baramulla, for the 2018 post-graduate National Eligibility Entrance Test (NEET).
14. Uttar Pradesh’s Shamli district was included in the National Capital Region (NCR), making it the 23rd district to be included in the region.
The NCR includes thirteen districts of Haryana, eight districts of UP, and two districts of Rajasthan.
15. The Union Cabinet has given its approval for continuation of centrally sponsored scheme National AYUSH Mission (NAM) from April 2017 to March 2020.
The government has finalized an outlay of INR 2400 crore over a 3-year period to provide cost-effective AYUSH services.
16. The CCEA has approved Capital Investment Subsidy amounting to INR 264.67 crore to four industrial units located in North Eastern Region (NER) including Sikkim.
It has been approved under Central Capital Investment Subsidy Scheme (CCISS), 2007 of North East Industrial Investment and Promotion Policy (NEIIPP), 2007.
17. Meghalaya became the first state in the country to operationalize The Meghalaya Community Participation and Public Services Social Audit Act, 2017.
It is a law that makes a social audit of government programmes and schemes, a part of government practice.
18. The NGT has imposed a complete ban on use, sale, purchase and storage of plastic items such as carry bags, plates and spoons in towns of Haridwar and Rishikesh till upper areas of Uttarkashi along the Ganga River in Uttarakhand.
The move was taken to tackle and prevent pollution of the Ganga.
19. National Workshop on Role of Sakhi One Stop Centres (OSCs) was held in New Delhi.
It provided the common platform to understand, discuss and deliberate on strengthening multisector response to address violence against women across the country.
20. The NITI Aayog’s Atal Innovation Mission launched the Atal Tinkering Lab’s Community Day in New Delhi.
The initiative is aimed at maximizing the impact of Atal Tinkering Labs by extending innovation to children in the community who do not have access to the formal educational institutions.
21. Rajasthan has become the first state in India to launch free email addresses in Hindi for its residents.
The facility will be available at firstname.lastname@example.org (in Devanagari script).
The initiative aims to ensure maximum participation of people towards e-governance and ensure that maximum government facilities are available in vernacular languages.
22. The Bihar Government has launched Safe City Surveillance Scheme for tracking crime against women.
It aims to bring all major public places under the watch of CCTV cameras and improve overall crime control in the state.
23. The Union Ministry launched LaQshya Initiative and mHealth: Safe Delivery Application on the occasion of Universal Health Coverage (UHC) Day.
The ministry also released operational guidelines for obstetric high dependency units and intensive care units.
24. The Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports will soon launch Khelo India programme for period 2017-18 to 2019-20 at cost of INR 1756 crore.
The programme aims at mainstreaming sports as a tool for individual development, community development, economic development and national development.
25. The Union Cabinet has approved the continuation of the existing Non-Lapsable Central Pool of Resources (NLCPR) scheme with funding pattern of 90:10 till March 2020.
The outlay of INR 5300.00 crore has been proposed for the scheme.
26. The President of India, Ram Nath Kovind, laid the foundation stone of the Nyaya Gram project of the High Court of Allahabad in Allahabad.
27. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the 60 MW Tuirial Hydropower Project in Aizawl.
It is the first large hydropower project in Mizoram which will boost the socio-economic development of the state.
28. The J&K Government has launched SAUBHAGYA (Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojna) with an aim to provide free electricity connections to poor people in the state.
SAUBHAGYA, an initiative taken by the prime minister, seeks to provide electricity to 4 crore families across the country by December 2018.
29. The Government extended the deadline for linking of Aadhar with bank accounts to 31st March 2018.
30. Rajasthan Government has increased the age limit to apply for top government jobs from 35 to 40 years.
31. The Union Ministry of Drinking Water & Sanitation has formally launched the Ganga Gram Project at the Ganga Gram Swachhata Sammelan held in New Delhi.
The objectives of the project include solid and liquid waste management, water conservation projects, renovation of ponds and water resources, organic farming, horticulture, and promotion of medicinal plants.
32. The NHAI has created a promotion cell named NHIPC for attracting domestic and foreign investment for highways projects.
The cell will focus on engaging with global institution investors, developers, construction companies and fund managers for building investor participation in road infrastructure projects.
33. India’s first and only design university World University of Design (WUD) has opened its campus at Sonipat, Haryana.
The university is dedicated to education in creative domain.
34. The Union Cabinet has approved the proposal of Ministry of Railways to set up first ever National Rail and Transport University (NRTU) in Vadodara to skill its human resources and build capability.
The University will be set up as Deemed to Be University under de novo category as per UGC (Institutions Deemed to be Universities) Regulations, 2016.
The first academic program is expected to be launched in July 2018.
35. The NITI Aayog is planning to set up Methanol Economy Fund worth INR 4,000-5,000 crore to promote production and use of the clean fuel.
The fund will be utilized for the production of cheaper, safer and pollution free methanol fuel by converting high ash content coal and stranded gas assets into methanol.
36. The Union Ministry of Railways in an eco-friendly measure to reduce power consumption, has planned to make all stations 100% LED lit by March 2018.
Under this initiative, the national transporter will provide 100% LED lighting for energy needs in railway staff colonies, stations and platforms.
37. The Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has inaugurated the Tribal Sports Meet 2017 to promote sports among tribals in Odisha.
Patnaik also unveiled the logo of the event and mascot of the meet Olly.
38. BJP has won 2017 Assembly Elections in Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh.
The BJP has won 99 of Gujarat’s 182 assembly seats. Congress has won 79 seats in Gujarat.
This is 6th consecutive assembly election victory for BJP in Gujarat.
The BJP has won 44 of Himachal’s 68 assembly seats. Congress has won 21 seats in Himachal.
39. The Andhra Pradesh Government in association with the UNESCO MGIEP is planning to establish a centre of excellence for children as well as a gaming for e-learning hub.
It will be the first of its kind in India and in Asia-Pacific region.
40. The two-day event, 17th Indian Science Communication Congress (ISCC-2017) was held in New Delhi.
The event aimed at promoting communication of India’s scientific wisdom.
41. A Regional Conference on Good Governance and Replication of Best Practices was held in Guwahati.
The conference is an effort to create a common platform to share experiences in the formulation and implementation of citizen-centric governance, improved public service delivery, Good Governance Index.
42. Andhra Pradesh CM N. Chandrababu Naidu dedicated the first digital village facilitated by Karur Vyasa Bank (KVB), at Bandarupalli in Guntur district.
The CM participated as the chief guest at the 101st Founder’s Day of the KVB.
43. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the Delhi Metro’s Magenta Line along with UP Chief Minister Yogi Aditya Nath.
The Magneta line is 12.64-kilometer-long which is equipped with communications-based train control technology. This technology allows driverless operations of the trains.
44. Karnataka’s capital city Bengaluru has become the first Indian city to get its own logo.
Brand Bengaluru gets its own logo and the tagline ‘Bengaluru- Be U’ (Be You).
The red and black logo is part English and part Kannada made by Bengalureans themselves.
The Bengaluru becomes the part of global cities like New York City, Melbourne, and Singapore to have a tourism logo of its own.
45. President Ramnath Kovind inaugurated the 100th Annual Conference of the Indian Economic Association at Acharya Nagarjuna University in Guntur of Andhra Pradesh.
Indian Economic Association is a registered body of Indian economic professionals, established way back in 1917.
Its objective is to provide a forum for debate and discussion of policy-oriented issues.
46. The 105th edition of the historic Indian Science Congress will be held at Manipur University, Imphal in March.
Since the days of Jawaharlal Nehru, the ISC was traditionally the first public function the Prime Minister addressed in the calendar year.
The annual event which is on the Prime Minister’s calendar in January, was postponed for the first time in its over 100-year history after Osmania University expressed inability to organize it due to the security reasons.
47. The Centre has recognized Odisha as a ‘Champion State’ for recording the highest growth in exports during 2016-17, official sources said.
This was announced during a review meeting of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry on the export performance of states and formulation of strategy attended by L. N. Gupta, MSME Additional Chief Secretary, Odisha.
The exports from the state have increased from INR 19,082 crore in 2015-16 to INR 40,872 crore in 2016-17
48. India’s first AC local train flagged off in Mumbai from Borivali station to Church gate in the southern part of Mumbai.
The services will replace 12 existing non-air-conditioned services.
The train will make six trips daily (12 Services) from Church gate to Vihar.
Due to the maintenance issues, the train will not operate on Saturdays and Sundays.
49. Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat has launched a biography based on chronicles of his early struggle and lesser known aspects of his life.
Titled ‘Trivendra Ek Zindaginama – Khairasain ka Sooraj’, the book is written by a doctor named Nandan Singh Bisht.
50. UP Government has launched a free household power connection scheme for the poor in the state to mark former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s birth anniversary.
The government has a target of covering 16 million by 2018-end under the scheme ‘Prakash hai to vikas hai’.
The government has also introduced ‘Kisan Uday Yojana’ scheme for farmers, under which existing 5 HP/7.5 HP submersible and coupling sets will be replaced free of cost.
51. The Odisha government has decided to set up a unique ‘Heritage Cabinet’ and an Odia Language Commission as part of its move to preserve the relics and monuments in the state and to enrich its rich culture and language.
Heritage Cabinet’ would be headed by the Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik. It would aim to protect ancient monuments, temples and archaeological sites in Odisha, and take steps to preserve the state’s culture, language and literature.
52. UP Chief Minister Yogi Aditya Nath has announced new metro projects for Agra and Kanpur in the states.
The Chief Minister announced two major expressways in Purvanchal and Bundelkhand.
53. Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani inaugurated the 25th National Children Science Congress in Ahmedabad.
The theme for this year’s National Science Congress is “Science, Technology and Innovation for Sustainable Development”.
The special focus area is on accessibility for persons with disabilities.
54. The Indian Army and Maldives National Defence Forces (MNDF) have been caring out 8th edition of a joint military exercise in Belgaum.
The two weeks long exercise, focused on counter-terrorism operations conducted by small teams in a semi-urban setting.
The exercise is named ‘Ekuverin’, which means ‘friends’ in Maldivian language. It is aimed to enhance interoperability between the two armies and to sharpen their tactical and technical skills.
55. Telangana will be hosting an International Sweets Festival next month.
The World Sweet Festival, featuring over hundreds of sweet items, will be held from January 13 to 15.
Sweets from foreign countries will also be presented alongside the Indian delicacies.
International Current Affairs | Know What’s happening around the World
1. In the first meeting of Working Group BIMSTEC, member countries discussed draft text of BIMSTEC Coastal Shipping Agreement.
The objective of the agreement is to facilitate coastal shipping in the region to give a boost to trade between member countries.
2. Venezuela has launched its own cryptocurrency called Petro to circumvent US-led financial sanctions. It will be backed by the country’s vast natural resource reserves.
3. The International conference on climate change was held in Nepal.
It was titled Resilient Hindu Kush Himalaya: Developing Solutions towards a Sustainable Future for Asia.
Its purpose was to draw attention towards adverse effects of global warming in Hindu Kush mountain range.
4. India was re-elected to the Council of the International Maritime Organisation under Category B at an assembly in London.
India secured the second-highest number of votes (144) from member-countries, just after Germany’s 146.
5. The annual SCO (Shanghai Cooperation Organisation) Summit was held in Russia’s Sochi.
It discussed issues related to the regional security scenario including the situation in the Gulf and Afghanistan.
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj represented India at the summit.
6. The Global Partnership Summit (GPS) 2017 was scheduled to be held at Aerocity, New Delhi from 11th to 14th December 2017.
It focused on clean energy, healthcare, infrastructure and logistics, energy, tourism, art and culture, agro-economy, banking and finance, education and skill development and information communication technology.
7. Japan will host a ministerial meeting of the UN Security Council on the 15th December 2017.
The meeting will focus on finding peaceful ways to pressure North Korea to halt its nuclear and ballistic missile tests and de-nuclearize the Korean peninsula.
8. 11th Annual MedTech Summit was organized in New Delhi, under Bio Design Programme.
The programme aims to train the next generation of medical technology innovators in the country.
9. UN Women in collaboration with Facebook inaugurated a two-day event in Mumbai entitled ‘We the Women’ to empower and recognize the magnificent contribution of women in our society.
10. The 8th edition of India and Maldives bilateral military exercise EKUVERIN 2017 was held in India in Belagavi, Karnataka.
The aim of the exercise was to conduct military training between armies of both countries with emphasis on counter-insurgency, counter-terrorism operations (CICT Ops).
11. The 4th India-Australia-Japan Trilateral Dialogue was hosted by India in New Delhi.
The three sides highlighted the growing convergence of their respective countries’ interests in Indo-Pacific region.
12. India and Australia held their first ‘2+2 dialogue’ in New Delhi and highlighted the need to maintain Asia-Pacific region as a free and open zone.
The 2+2 dialogue model between both countries included foreign and defence secretaries.
13. The 7th International Ground Water Conference (IGWC-2017) was hosted by India in New Delhi from 11th to 13th December 2017.
The theme of the conference was Ground Water Vision 2030- Water Security, Challenges and Climate Change Adaptation.
14. The ASEAN–India Connectivity Summit (AICS) was held in New Delhi.
The theme of the summit was Powering Digital and Physical Linkages for Asia in the 21st Century.
15. The 11th World Trade Organization (WTO) Ministerial Conference (MC11) was held in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
The biggest takeaway from the conference was the commitment from members to secure a deal on fisheries subsidies.
16. India was selected as Chair of Ad Hoc Committee on Review & Reforms to look into various issues pertaining to the KPSC at recently held KP Plenary Session in Brisbane, Australia.
Angola will be the Vice Chair of this Ad Hoc Committee.
17. India is planning to host the meeting of WTO member countries in February 2018 to muster support for food security and other issues.
18. According to UN World Migration Report (2018), Indian diaspora is world’s largest, with slightly more than 15.6 million people from India living overseas.
The Indian diaspora constitutes 6% of the total number of international migrants.
19. WHO has declared Gabon a polio-free country.
This comes after lack of new reported or suspected cases in the Central African country in recent times.
20. Singapore’s Deputy PM Teo Chee Hean will join India’s External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj for a two-day ASEAN- India Pravasi Bhartiya Divas to be held in Singapore next month.
The Pravasi Bhartiya Divas is celebrated every year to mark the contribution of overseas Indian community in the development of India.
Road Transport and Highway Minister Nitin Gadkari and Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh and Assam, N Chandrababu Naidu and Sarbananda Sonowal, will also attend the function on 6-7 January 2018.
Merger and Acquisition | Stay Updated with Insights of Major Companies & Organizations
1. FundsIndia.com has partnered with YES BANK to launch Unified Payments Interface (UPI) on their Android app for mutual fund payments.
FundsIndia becomes the first online mutual fund distributor to support UPI for client payments.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) | Get the Best Information Out of Top Agreements
1. The CBDT has entered into 2 Bilateral Advance Pricing Agreements (APAs) with Netherlands.
These two APAs pertain to Electronics and Technology sectors of the economy.
It also covers international transactions that include Distribution, Provision of Business Support Services, Provision of Marketing Support Services etc.
2. India and Cuba have signed MoU for enhanced cooperation in the health sector.
It aims at exchange and training of medical doctors, officials, other health professionals and experts.
It also aims at providing assistance in the development of human resources, health services and setting up of healthcare facilities.
3. The Union Health Ministry and Rotary International India National PolioPlus have signed MoU for intensive efforts achieving the immunization target.
The MoU aims to provide collaborative support and accelerate efforts under Polio Eradication Programme, Routine Immunization including Mission Indradhanush.
4. The Maharashtra Government signed 34 MoUs with leading corporate houses to take ahead its ambitious project of social transformation of 1,000 villages across Maharashtra.
The move aims at benefiting more than 75 lakh people with a budget of INR 335 crore.
5. The Union Cabinet approved the establishment of International Training Centre for Operational Oceanography (ITCOO), as a Category-2 Centre (C2C) of UNESCO, in Hyderabad, Telangana.
The purpose of this agreement is to establish training centre towards the development of capacity for countries on Indian Ocean Rim (IOR), African countries bordering Indian and Atlantic Oceans, small island countries under the framework of UNESCO.
6. India and Morocco have signed MoU for enhanced cooperation in the health sector. The main areas of cooperation under MoU are: –
Maternal, child and neonatal health.
Hospital twinning for the exchange of good practices.
Drug Regulation and Pharmaceutical quality control.
Training in administration and management of health services and Hospitals
Non-communicable diseases (NCDs) including child cardiovascular diseases and cancer.
7. DCI and NHAI have signed a MoU for facilitating the supply of sand for highways construction work.
The MoU aims to fill sand supply gap by facilitating the availability of sand for concessionaires working on highways projects who were facing the shortage of sand at many sites.
8. India and Morocco have signed four agreements for cooperation in Water Resources, Road and Marine Sectors. MoUs /Agreements signed are: –
MoU on cooperation in the field of Water Resources.
Agreement to establish cooperation between Indian Maritime University (IMU) and Higher Institute of Maritime Studies (ISEM) of Morocco.
Framework Agreement for Cooperation in Training between National Ports Agency (NPA) of Morocco and Indian Maritime University (IMU).
Cooperation Framework Agreement between Institute of Training in Engines and Road Maintenance of Morocco (IFEER) and Indian Academy of Highway Engineers (IAHE).
9. India will host 3rd Annual Meeting of the Board of Governors of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) in Mumbai, Maharashtra in June 2018.
In this regard, Union Government and AIIB Secretariat have signed MoU to delineate duties and responsibilities of major stakeholders who would be involved in organizing the aforesaid Annual Meeting.
The theme of the annual meeting is Mobilizing Finance for Infrastructure: Innovation and Collaboration.
10. The Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) has signed an implementation agreement with German firm GIZ GmbH.
The main objective of these projects is to improve planning and implementation of sustainable urban transport.
11. India has signed an agreement with Switzerland for automatic sharing of tax-related information from 1st January 2018 with an aim to combat black money.
Prior to it, India had to ask Switzerland for specific bits of information against the Indian account holder in Swiss Banks.
12. India and Myanmar signed MoU aimed at developing Myanmar’s Rakhine state.
The MoU comes in the backdrop of the massive migration of Rohingya refugees from violence-wracked Rakhine to Bangladesh.
13. The Union Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship and Maruti Suzuki India Limited have signed MoU to support Skill India Mission in the automobile industry.
The Flexi MoU aims to provide high employment potential trades related to automobile and manufacturing industry to youth under Skill India Mission.
14. India will host 3rd Annual Meeting of the Board of Governors of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) in Mumbai, Maharashtra in June 2018.
In this regard, Union Government and AIIB Secretariat have signed MoU to delineate duties and responsibilities of major stakeholders who would be involved in organizing the aforesaid Annual Meeting.
The theme of the annual meeting is Mobilizing Finance for Infrastructure: Innovation and Collaboration.
15. Andhra Pradesh Government has signed MoU with Alphabet InC.’s X (Google X) to bring Free Space Optical Communication (FSOC) technology to India.
The purpose of the FSOC project is to provide high quality & affordable digital services through internet under state government’s Fiber Grid project.
16. A financing agreement for IDA Credit of USD 125 million (equivalent) for the STRIVE Project was signed by the Government of India with the World Bank in New Delhi.
The objective of the operation is to improve access to quality and market-driven vocational training provided in it is and apprenticeships.
The closing date for the project is 30th November 2022.
17. A memorandum of understanding is signed between Uttar Pradesh Government and South Korea to enhance cooperation in the field of tourism, skill development, culture and farming.
MoU was signed for giving a new dimension to cooperation in the field of tourism, skill development, culture and farming, which will provide more employment opportunities and development.
18. The Government of Tamil Nadu and the World Bank have signed a $318 million loan agreement for the Tamil Nadu Irrigated Agriculture Modernization Project to promote climate resilient agriculture technologies, improve water management practices, and increase market opportunities for small and marginal farmers.
About 500,000 farmers of which a majority are small and marginal, are expected to get benefit from improved and modernized tank irrigation systems.
The project will rehabilitate and modernize about 4,800 irrigation tanks and 477 check dams, spread across 66 sub-basins, in delivering bulk water to irrigation systems.
19. The Union Government has inked Loan agreement with World Bank for $40 Million IBRD Credit for “Uttar Pradesh Pro-Poor Tourism Development Project”.
The project size is approximately $57.14 million, of which $40 million will be financed by World Bank, and remaining amount will be funded out of Stat.
The objective of UP Pro-Poor Tourism Development Project is to increase tourism-related benefits for local communities in targeted destinations.
20. Bank of Baroda entered into MoU with POORTI Agri Services Pvt. Ltd to enable the farmers to purchase agricultural inputs such as fertilizers, pesticides, seeds etc. provided by POORTI.
This is a Platform for Online Ordering & Rural Transformation of India known as “POORTI”.
They will work jointly to provide a digital platform for farmers to buy agri products online through Payment gateway of the bank.
Banking Awareness & Economics Current Affairs | Understand the Top Trends in India
1. CBDT has extended the date for linking Aadhaar with PAN till 31st of March 2018.
All taxpayers having Aadhaar Number or Enrolment Number are required to link the same with Permanent Account Number.
2. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has released the Fifth Bi-Monthly Policy 2017-18. The key policy rates are: –
Repo Rate- 6% (Unchanged)
Reverse Repo Rate- 5.75% (Unchanged)
Marginal Standing Facility (MSF) Rate- 6.25% (Unchanged)
Bank Rate- 6.25% (Unchanged)
Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR)- 4% (Unchanged)
Statutory Liquidity Ratio (SLR)- 19.5% (Changed from 201% to 19.5%).
The Inflation forecast for the remainder of the current financial year was raised to 4.3-4.7 percent.
3. The Union Government has constituted a high-level committee headed by NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant to address the problem of Non-Performing Assets (NPAs).
It comprises secretaries in the ministries of power, coal and department of financial services as its members.
4. Corporation Bank has launched its RuPay Select and RuPay Platinum Credit Cards.
These credit cards are accepted at all RuPay-enabled 1.5 million plus PoS terminals, 80,000 + e-commerce merchants in India and all ICS Partner acceptance points (POS, e-commerce merchants) globally.
5. International Ratings Agency Fitch has lowered the country’s GDP growth projection for 2017-18 to 6.7 percent.
According to Fitch’s December GEO, the agency reduced the growth forecast for the fiscal year to end-March 2018 (FY18) to 6.7 percent from 6.9 percent.
6. Federal Bank has launched a non-interest-bearing savings account targeting those whose beliefs do not permit them to accept interest payments.
The ‘Noor Personal Account’ was launched on Milad-e-sherif.
7. The government has engaged private sector bank ICICI, to enable online payments at 470 mandis integrated with the national portal of electronic National Agriculture Market (e-NAM).
8. After the merger of its five associate banks, State Bank of India has changed names and IFSC Code of nearly 1300 of its branches.
The bank has changed the names and IFSC codes of branches located in cities such as Mumbai, New Delhi, Bengaluru, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Lucknow among others.
9. India’s 1 Rupee currency note completed 100 years on 30th November 2017.
First 1 Rupee note was printed in England and was issued in India on 30th November 1917.
Since its introduction, 1 Rupee note has undergone 28 design changes.
10. The Union Cabinet has decided that Government will bear Merchant Discount Rate (MDR) charges on transactions up to INR 2,000 made through debit cards, BHIM UPI or Aadhaar-enabled payment systems (AePS) to promote digital transactions.
It will be for two years with effect from 1st January 2018 by reimbursing the same to the banks.
11. The Union Government has signed US $250 million loan agreement with World Bank for SANKALP Project to support livelihood.
The closing date for the project is 31st March 2023.
12. The Indian Economy will grow at 2% in 2018 and accelerate to 7.4% in 2019 according to a UN report.
The report also forecast that inflation in India will be 5% in 2018 and 4.8% in 2019.
13. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed INR 3 crore penalty on IndusInd Bank for breaching rules on income classification norms.
The penalty was imposed after the regulator observed a violation of various regulations issued by the RBI on non-performing loans and extension of non-fund based limits.
14. The Goods and Service Tax (GST) Council at its 24th meeting decided to make electronic permits compulsory for inter-state movement of goods from 1st February 2018.
It will also help the tax authorities to monitor the cross-border movement of consignments and check instances of under-valuation of goods.
15. The Reserve Bank of India has imposed a monetary penalty of INR 5 crore on the public-sector lender, Syndicate Bank for violating the Know Your Customer (KYC)/Anti-Money Laundering (AML) norms.
Earlier, RBI had penalized Union Bank of India INR 2 crore for non-compliance of KYC norms.
16. Yes Bank and the European Investment Bank will co-finance USD 400 million funding for renewable power generation in the country.
Under this renewable power generation initiative, several solar projects in Rajasthan, Maharashtra and Karnataka have been identified.
17. The Government has informed the Lok Sabha that it had so far infused a capital of INR 51,858 crore in Public Sector Banks (PSBs) under its Indradhanush Plan since 2015-16.
The data shared by the Government showed that out of the total INR 51,858 crore, INR 25,000 crore was infused in 2015-16, INR 24,997 crore in 2016-17 and INR 1,861 crore in 2017-18.
18. The RBI has initiated a prompt corrective action against Bank of India for mounting bad loans, placing various restrictions on it including issuing of fresh loans and dividend distribution.
19. Bad loans of PSBs stood at INR 7.34 lakh crore by the end of second quarter this fiscal, a bulk of which came from corporate defaulters, according to Reserve Bank of India data.
However, private sector banks’ non- performing assets (NPAs) were considerably low at INR 1.03 lakh crore by September 30.
Among the major public-sector banks, State Bank of India (SBI) had the highest amount of NPAs at over INR 1.86 lakh crore.
20. The government cut the interest rate on small savings schemes, including PPF, national savings certificate (NSC) and Kisan Vikas Patra, by 0.2 percentage points for the January-March quarter, a move that will prompt banks to lower deposit rates.
As per the finance ministry notification, PPF and NSC will fetch a lower annual rate of 7.6% while KVP will yield 7.3% and mature in 11 months.
The girl child savings scheme Sukanya Samriddhi Account will offer 8.1 from existing 8.3% annually.
Term deposits of 1-5 years will fetch a lower interest rate of 6.6-7.4%, to be paid quarterly, while the five-year recurring deposit is pegged at 6.9%.
21. According to the recently released report titled 2018 World Economic League Table, India is set to overtake the United Kingdom and France to become the world’s fifth largest economy in 2018.
The report was released by Centre for Economics and Business Research, an economics consultancy based in Britain
India currently ranked seventh will overtake UK and France to become the world’s fifth largest economy in 2018 in US dollar terms and further move to third spot by 2032.
22. The Centre has pumped in capital of INR 7,577 crore in various weak public-sector banks to the rescue of ailing banks.
The government has released INR 2,257 crore to Bank of India, which was recently placed under prompt corrective action by the Reserve Bank of India.
The other big beneficiary of the latest capital infusion round is IDBI Bank, which has received INR 2,729 crore, sources said.
While Central Bank of India has got capital support of INR 323 crore, Dena Bank has got capital support of INR 243 crore from the government.
UCO Bank, another weak public-sector bank, has got capital support of INR 1,375 crore.
Bank of Maharashtra has received capital support of INR 650 crore.
Bills [Amendments & New] – See How Many New Bills have been passed in 2017
1. Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly has unanimously passed Kapu Reservation Bill 2017 to provide 5% quota in education and employment.
The reservation to Kapu community will be given by including them in the Backward Classes list.
2. The Madhya Pradesh Assembly has unanimously passed Dand Vidhi (Madhya Pradesh Sanshodhan) Vidheyak 2017 that will see rapists of girls of 12 years or below being hanged till death.
With this, Madhya Pradesh becomes the first state where those convicted of such rapes will face the gallows.
3. Uttar Pradesh becomes the first state to endorse the Centre’s draft bill that makes instant triple talaq a cognizable and non-bailable offense.
As per the draft law, there will be three years’ imprisonment and a fine to a Muslim man trying to divorce his wife by uttering ‘talaq’ three times.
4. The Lok Sabha has passed Requisitioning and Acquisition of Immovable Property (Amendment) Bill, 2017 to make it easier for the government to acquire immovable property for national security and defence purpose.
The bill amends the Requisitioning and Acquisition of Immovable Property Act, 1952 and changes rules for payment of compensation.
5. The Lok Sabha has unanimously passed Central Road Fund (Amendment) Bill, 2017.
The bill seeks to amend the Central Road Fund (CRF) Act, 2000.
6. The Parliament has passed Indian Institutes of Management (IIM) Bill, 2017 to extend greater autonomy to IIMs by restricting government’s role in their functioning.
The Bill declares the IIMs as institutions of national importance.
It seeks to empower IIMs to attain standards of global excellence in management, management research and allied areas of knowledge.
7. The Parliament has passed Companies (Amendment) Bill, 2017 to strengthen corporate governance standards, initiate strict action against defaulting companies and help improve ease of doing business in the country.
The bill provides for more than 40 amendments to Companies
8. The Parliament has passed the Indian Institute of Petroleum and Energy (IIPE) Bill, 2017. The Bill establishes the IIPE at Vishakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh as an institution of national importance.
The IIPE aims to provide high quality education and research focusing on all aspects and themes of petroleum, hydrocarbons and energy.
It will actively pursue research and development in the fields such as liquefied natural gas, biofuels and renewables.
9. The Lok Sabha has passed the Goods and Services Tax (Compensation to States) Amendment Bill, 2017. The Bill amends the GST (Compensation to States) Act, 2017 and replaces an Ordinance promulgated in September 2017
The amendment bill increases maximum rate at which Compensation cess can be levied from 15 to 25% on a motor vehicle for transport of not more than 13 persons (mostly luxury vehicles), including the driver and motor vehicles falling under mentioned sub-headings.
10. The Parliament has passed National Capital Territory of Delhi Laws (Special Provisions) Second Amendment Bill, 2017. It seeks to amend National Capital Territory of Delhi Laws (Special Provisions) Second Act, 2011
The Bill extends the deadline for relocating slum dwellers and Jhuggi-Jhopri clusters, regulating street vendors, regularizing unauthorized colonies, village Abadi areas in NCT Delhi and calls for creating a policy for farmhouses constructed beyond permissible limits.
11. The Lok Sabha passed the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriages) Bill 2017 declaring instant Triple Talaq illegal and criminalizes it with up to three years in jail for the husband.
The bill will be sent to the Rajya Sabha for passage before it is forwarded to the President for assent to come into force as law.
The Bill makes all declaration of Talaq, including in written or electronic form (text message, email etc.) to be void and illegal i.e. not enforceable in law.
12. The Lok Sabha has passed the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Amendment) Bill 2017 to pave the way for tightening loopholes in existing code and to make resolution process more effective.
The Bill amends the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC), 2016, and replaces an Ordinance promulgated in November 2017.
The bill redefines resolution applicant mentioned in code as a person who submits a resolution plan after receiving an invite by the insolvency professional to do so.
The Bill inserts a provision to specify that person contravening any provisions of IBC, for which no penalty has been specified, will be punishable with a fine ranging between INR 1 lakh to INR 2 crore.
Science & Technology Current Events | Stay Advanced with Latest Inventions
1. The Combined Military exercise Ajeya Warrior- 2017 between India and the UK was held at Mahajan Field Firing Range near Bikaner of Rajasthan.
The objective of this exercise is to increase mutual cooperation and coordination between two countries.
2. The Surface to Air Missile (SAM) AKASH was successfully tested with indigenous radio frequency seeker against target UAV Banshee.
It was successfully launched from Launch Complex-III at ITR Chandipur.
3. Technology giant Google has launched Datally app that lets users control and monitor their data usage in real-time.
The app which is available to all Android users, lets users turn on the ‘Data Saver’ tab to block background data usage for the same purpose.
4. Kerala Electricity Minister has inaugurated India’s largest floating solar power plant at the Banasura Sagar dam in Wayanad district.
The plant, worth approximately INR 9.25 crore, floats on 6,000 square metres of water surface
With a capacity of 500 kilowatts, the plant comprises 1,938 solar panels and 17 inverters.
5. Google has launched the Two-wheeler mode on Maps in India, a feature which will show the fastest route and directions to two-wheeler riders to reach their entered destination.
The feature will be available alongside the Drive, Train or Bus, and Walk options.
6. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has commissioned Scorpene-class submarine INS Kalvari into the Indian Navy in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
It is first of the six Scorpene-class submarines built under the strategic Project 75 built by Mazagon Dock Limited (MDL) with assistance and technology transfer from France’s DCNS.
7. The ISRO is developing Small Satellite Launch Vehicles to launch low-cost small satellites.
The small launch vehicle will be able to put satellites of up to 500-600 kg in orbits close to the Earth.
8. The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has launched a door-to-door campaign for 15-days in the country for early diagnosis, detection and treatment of tuberculosis (TB) to eliminate the disease.
The objective of this campaign is to detect the missed-out cases by going to every household.
9. The Union Ministry of Railways has introduced the Indian Railways E-Procurement System (IREPS), an online bill tracking system for vendors and contractors.
It aims to enhance transparency in the processing and settlement of bills by increasing use of information technology.
10. A petition website ‘Speak For Me’ has been launched to keep the records of the complaints against receiving continuous Aadhar-linking calls and texts.
The portal allows users to select the recipient like banks and mobile operators and directly send the petition in the form of an email.
11. Mumbai Metro launched a new security app ‘Secucare’, which can be downloaded on Android and IOS platforms.
Through the app, commuters can raise an alarm in case of any problem.
12. China’s home-grown AG600, also known as Kunlong, the world’s largest amphibious aircraft took off from the southern city of Zhuhai and landed after roughly an hour-long flight.
13. China has successfully launched its second Land Surveying Satellite LKW-2 (also known as Yaogan Weixing-32) into a preset orbit from Jiuquan Satellite.
The satellite will be used for remote sensing exploration of land resources.
It was launched on board of Long March-2D rocket.
14. The Southern Command of Indian Army conducted major army exercise called Hamesha Vijayee in deserts of Rajasthan from 16th to 22nd December 2017.
The purpose of the exercise was to evaluate the capability of armed forces to strike deep into enemy territory in an integrated air-land battle.
15. NASA has discovered eighth planet circling Kepler-90, a Sun-like star which is 2545 light-years far from Earth.
It was dubbed as Kepler-90i.
16. SpaceX for the first time ever has successfully launched used Dragon Spacecraft with a used Falcon 9 Rocket.
The mission was SpaceX’s 13th of 20 under a $1.6 billion contract with NASA.
17. The Ministry of Railways has decided to launch Project Swarn with the objective of significantly improving the passenger experience across 9 dimensions which include the followings.
18. The Union Ministry of Communications has launched DARPAN to improve quality of service, add value to services and achieve financial inclusion of un-banked rural population.
DARPAN is IT modernization project aimed at realizing financial inclusion of un-banked rural population.
It offers core banking services to account holders.
19. Maharashtra Government launched Maharashtra Police Citizen Portal, a digital platform for registration and tracking of crimes and complaints.
CM also launched Maharashtra Police Citizen Portal app for accessing some selected services available on the parent portal at a programme in Nagpur.
20. Indian Naval Ships Trikand and Teg are deployed to Oman for bilateral exercise Naseem Al Bahr or Sea Breeze.
This exercise is the 11th edition and has been a biennial feature since 1993.
21. The MEA has launched a new programme, SAMEEP, aims to take Indian foreign policy and its global engagements to students across the country.
The idea is not only to get the ordinary student to take an interest in India’s place in the world and its global ambitions, but also to look at diplomacy as a career option.
22. Union Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare Minister, Shri Radha Mohan Singh has launched Livestock Disease Forewarning –Mobile Application (LDF-Mobile App) in New Delhi.
It is developed by ICAR-National Institute of Veterinary Epidemiology and Disease Informatics (ICAR-NIVEDI), Bengaluru.
The app will provide early diseases warning and also information about clinical samples for diagnosis in case of epidemic so that immediate action in case of epidemic.
23. ISRO has announced that it would launch 31 satellites, including India’s Cartosat-2 series earth observation spacecraft, in a single mission onboard its Polar rocket on January 10.
The mission will be the first Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) mission after the unsuccessful launch of navigation satellite IRNSS-1H in August.
The mission’s main payload would be India’s Cartosat-2 series earth observation satellite.
24. China has successfully launched remote sensing satellites to conduct electromagnetic environmental probes under Yogan-30 Project.
These satellites are intended for scientific experiments, land survey, crop yield assessment, and disaster monitoring.
Remote sensing generally refers to use of sensor technologies to detect objects. The remote sensing satellites collect data by detecting energy reflected from Earth.
25. Hyderabad-based machine learning and artificial intelligence startup, H-Bots has developed a smart policing Robocop named Hemant karkare.
The Robocop can assist policing in handling law and order, and traffic management. It can take of security at the selected spots at malls or airports and public places.
The Life-sized robot after 26/11 martyr Hemant Karkare is a beta version robot and is made in India using all Indian components.
26. The new species of fish was discovered in East Jaintia Hills, district of Meghalaya, which was named Schistura Larketensis.
Scientist expects that this species is shifted here from the New Zealand.
27. Scientists from the University of Michigan in US have developed a new type of neural network chip using reservoir computing system to improve the efficiency of teaching machines to think like humans.
The network developed using this system can predict words before they are said during the conversation and help predict future outcomes based on the present.
The system was proved to be functional using test of handwriting recognition, a common benchmark among neural networks. Only 88 memristors were used in the system as compared to a conventional network that requires thousands for the task and achieved 91% accuracy.
28. Prithvi Advanced Air Defence (AAD) supersonic interceptor missile was successfully test-fired from a test range in Odisha. It is capable of destroying any incoming ballistic missile in low altitude.
The target missile Prithvi interceptor AAD missile was launched from launch complex 3 of Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur in Odisha.
The Prithvi interceptor is a 7.5-meter long single stage solid rocket propelled guided missile. It is equipped with a navigation system, a hi-tech computer and electro-mechanical activator.
29. China successfully tested its first photovoltaic (solar) highway based on home-grown technology in country’s eastern Shandong province.
China became the second country in the world to construct a photovoltaic highway. France had introduced world’s first photovoltaic road fitted with solar panels in late 2016.
The tested segment of the solar highway can generate 817.2 KW of electricity and is expected to generate 1 million KW hours of electricity each year.
The one-kilometer segment of solar-powered highway covers a surface area of 5875 sq. meter.
Sports Current Affairs | Read all the Major Achievements in Popular Tournaments
|1.||2017 Ballon d’Or (Golden Ball)-World Player of the year||Cristiano Ronaldo|
|2.||World Youth Women’s Boxing Championship- Best Boxer Title||Ankushita Boro (Assam)|
|3.||South Asian Badminton Title||India|
|4.||Asian Luge Championships Gold Medalist||Shiva Keshavan|
|5.||Indoor Archery World Cup Bronze Medalist||Deepika Kumari (India)|
|6.||First Indian Captain to complete 1000 runs in a year twice||Virat Kohli|
|7.||Captain of India at 5th ODI World Cup Cricket Tournament for the Blind||Ajay Kumar Reddy|
|8.||The country which got banned from 2018 Winter Olympics||Russia|
|9.||IWF World Weightlifting Championships Player who set 3 National Records||Gurdeep Singh|
|10.||First Indian to win a gold medal at the World Para-Swimming Championship, Mexico||Kanchanmala Pande (Nagpur)|
|11.||ITF World Champions 2017 Winners||Rafael Nadal and Garbine Muguruza|
|12.||Hockey World League Final Tournament Bronze Medalist||India|
|13.||Host Country of Senior Women’s, Men’s Boxing World Championships||India|
|14.||Host City of India Open Boxing Tournament 2018||New Delhi|
|15.||Men’s Hockey World League Title Winner||Australia|
|16.||Asian Boxing Confederation’s best youth boxer of the year||Sachin Siwach|
|17.||World’s Highest-Paid Athlete of All Time||Michael Jordan|
|18.||BBC Overseas Sports Personality of the Year||Roger Federer|
|19.||The Country which hosted first International Wheelchair Cricket Tournament||Nepal|
|20.||Host Country of 2023 Cricket World Cup||India|
|21.||Official emblems of Beijing 2022 Winter Games||Winter Dream, Flying High|
|22.||61st National Shooting Championship Gold Medalist in the Women’s 50m Rifle 3 Positions||Anjum Moudgil|
|23.||BWF Super Series Final Silver Medalist||PV Sindhu|
|24.||BBC’s Sports Personality of the Year||Mo Farah|
|25.||BBC Team of the Year Award||England’s Women Cricket Team|
|26.||Badminton Jr. Nationals U-17 & U-19 Singles Title Winner||Aakarshi Kashyap|
|27.||Commonwealth Wrestling Championship Gold Medalists||Sushil Kumar, Sakshi Malik|
|28.||Balkan Athlete of the Year||Grigor Dimitrov|
|29.||La Liga’s Top Scorer and Best Player Award for 2016-17 Football Session||Lionel Messi (Barcelona)|
|30.||Highest T20I Wicket Taker in 2017||Yuzvendra Chahal (India)|
|31.||FIFA Ranking 2017||India ranked at 105th position|
|32.||The game excluded from 2022 Commonwealth Games||Shooting|
|33.||Host City of 2022 Commonwealth Games||Birmingham, England|
|34.||U-15 Women’s Championship Runners-up||Indian Women’s Football Team|
|35.||SAFF U-15 Women’s Championship Winner||Bangladesh Women’s Football Team|
|36.||McLeod Russel Tour Championship (Golf) winner||Shubhankar Sharma|
|37.||3 Gold medal winners in Galym Zharylgapov Boxing Tournament||K Shyam Kumar (49 Kg)Naman Tanwar (91 Kg)Satish Kumar (91 Kg)|
|38.||International Twenty20 Cricket Series Winner (India v/s Shri Lanka)||India|
|39.||Globe Soccer Best Player award winner||Cristiano Ronaldo|
|40.||World Rapid Chess Championship winner||Viswanathan Anand|
|41.||Gold Winner in Women’s 25 Meter Pistol National Shooting Championship||Anisa Sayyed|
|42.||National Shooting Championship (Set New National record)||Jitu Ray|
|43.||Youngest Debutant for India’s T20Is||Spinner Washington Sundar|
|44.||World Chess Game is hosted by||Saudi Arabia|
Awards and Honours | Fetch the List of Top Awardees in Distinct Fields
|S.No.||Awards Names||Awardees Names||Pictures|
|1.||The country which was awarded Certificate of Commendation by CITES for its effort to combat illegal wildlife trade.||India|
|2.||Times’ Person of the Year for 2017||‘The Silence Breakers’ of #MeToo Movement|
|3.||Indian Festival which is recently Listed in UNESCO’s List of Intangible Cultural Heritage||Kumbh Mela|
|4.||World’s First 3D Sanskrit Film screened at IFFI||Anurakthi|
|5.||Miss Supranational 2017||Jenny Kim (Miss Korea)|
|6.||Cambridge dictionary’s ‘Word of the Year’||Populism|
|7.||International Children’s Peace Prize 2017||Mohamad Al Jounde from Syria (for his efforts to ensure the rights of Syrian refugee children.|
|8.||Star Screen Awards 2018Best Film (Critics)||Newton|
|Best Director||Nitesh Tiwari (Dangal)|
|Best Actress (Popular)||Vidya Balan (Tumhari Sulu)|
|Best Actress (Critics)||Konkana Sen Sharma (Lipstick Under My Burkha)|
|Best Actor (Critics)||Rajkumar Rao (Newton)|
|Best Actor (Popular)||Irrfan Khan (Hindi Medium)|
|Best Supporting Actor- Male||Rajkumar Rao (Bareily Ki Barfi)|
|Best Supporting Actor- Female||Neha Dhupia (Tumhari Sulu)|
|Best Playback Singer- Male||Arijit Singh (Raees and Jagga Jasoos)|
|Best Playback Singer- Female||Shashaa Tirupati (Shubh Mangal Savdhaan)|
|9.||Best Bank in India in the Asia Money Corporate Client Choice Survey 2017.||YES Bank|
|10.||Times’ Person of the Year based on readers’ poll||Mohammed bin Salman|
|11.||Second best UNESCO World Heritage Site||Taj Mahal|
|12.||Best Asian Film at Australian Gala||Dangal|
|13.||State which topped the list of crimes against women in 2016||Uttar Pradesh|
|14.||India’s Ranking in Global Entrepreneurship Index 2017||India ranks at 68th position among 137 countries|
|15.||Variety’s 500 Influential People List||Salman Khan and Priyanka Chopra topped among Indians|
|16.||Cultural Ambassador for Japanese City||Hello Kitty and Pokémon’s Pikachu|
|17.||Most-Instagrammed Indian Cities of 2017||New Delhi|
|18.||Safe Cities Index 2017||Delhi and Mumbai ranked 43 and 45 respectively|
|19.||2017 List of Most Followed Indians on Twitter||Prime Minister Narendra Modi|
|20.||Most Tweeted about Elected World Leader of 2017||Donald Trump|
|21.||Honorary Award at Dubai International Film Festival||Irrfan Khan (awarded for the incredible body of work of more than 80 films in India as well as his work in British films and Hollywood.)|
|22.||Yahoo India’s Most Searched Personality 2017||Prime Minister Narendra Modi|
|23.||UNESCO Intangible Heritage Status||Italy’s Pizza Toss|
|24.||FE Best Banks Awards: Best Nationalized Bank Award||State Bank of India|
|25.||Top Indian Actor of 2017 by IMDB||Shah Rukh Khan|
|26.||27th Vyas Samman||Mamta Kalia- Hindi Writer|
|27.||2017 Speed test Global Index (SGI)||India ranked 109th out of 122 countries in the mobile internet speed and 76th out of 133 countries in broadband space|
|28.||2017 Nobel Peace Prize||International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN)|
|29.||UK’s New Highest Peak||Mount Hope|
|30.||Global Prosperity Index 2017||India ranked 100|
|31.||India’s first Energy-Efficient Railway Station||Kacheguda (Hyderabad)|
|32.||Indian City to become ‘beggar-free’ city||Hyderabad|
|33.||2017 List of Most Expensive Office Location in the World||India’s Delhi-NCR ranked 84th|
|34.||Waste Management System included in UNEP Top 5 Models||Kerala’s ‘zero-waste’ Alappuzha|
|35.||Finest Education Minister Award||Manish Sisodia|
|36.||Recipient of 2017 Yeraringan Award||M.S. Swaminathan|
|37.||Indian Film awarded in Vancouver Film Festival||The School Bag|
|38.||Bollywood Actress who awarded Mother Teresa Memorial Award||Priyanka Chopra|
|39.||Recipient of UN’s Power of One Award||Lakshmi Puri (India)|
|40.||Peter England Mr. India World 2017||Jitesh Singh Deo (Lucknow)|
|41.||Recipient of 31st Moortidevi Award||Joy Goswami (Bengali Poet)|
|42.||Recipient of Shrilal Shukla Smriti IFFCO Sahitya Samman||Ramdev Dhurandhar|
|43.||Word of the Year by Oxford Dictionaries||Youthquake|
|44.||Recipient of Smita Patil Memorial Award||Rekha|
|45.||Miss India USA 2017||Shree Saini|
|46.||Golden Peacock Innovation Award Winner||Tata Steel Joda Mine|
|47.||Recipient of National Design Award||Satheesh Reddy|
|48.||National Geographic Photographer of the Year||Jayaprakash Joghee Bojan|
|49.||Sahitya Akademi Award Winners||Mamang Dai, Ramesh Kuntal|
|50.||Forbes Top 100 Indian Celebrity List||Virat Kohli topped the list|
|51.||India’s most trusted FMCG Brand||Patanjali|
|52.||Forbes’ List of Best Countries for Business in 2018||UK topped the list|
|53.||NASSCOM-DSCI Excellence Award Winner||Kolkata Police|
|54.||Innovative Young Biotechnologist Award||Pranita P Sarangi (Professor of Biotechnology at IIT, Roorkee)|
|55.||PETA’s person of the year||Anushka Sharma|
|56.||Harivarasanam Award||K S Chitra|
|57.||Golden Peacock Award for Risk Management||Cholamandalam MS General Insurance Company Limited|
Appointments Latest GK Updates | Upgrade Your Knowledge Cart with the List of Top Influencers
|S.No.||Position & Organization||Name||Pictures|
|1.||Chairman of PNGRB||Dinesh K Sarraf|
|2.||DGOF and Chairman of Ordnance Factory Board||S K Chourasia|
|3.||Chairman of Prasar Bharati||A. Surya Prakash|
|4.||Player who resigns as boxing’s National Observer||Mary Kom|
|5.||Infosys’s new CEO and Managing Director||Salil S. Parekh (Capgemini executive)|
|6.||UN Environment Global Goodwill Ambassador||British singer-Ellie Goulding|
|7.||Actor who will promote Government’s Flagship Agri-Schemes||Akshay Kumar|
|8.||Next Ambassador of India to Turkmenistan||Azar A.H. Khan|
|9.||UN Environment Goodwill Ambassador for India||Día Mirza|
|10.||Delhi Chief Secretary||Anshu Prakash|
|11.||One97 Communications’ New Director||SoftBank’s Kabir Misra|
|12.||New Prime Minister of Poland||Mateusz Morawiecki|
|13.||Face of Water Conservation Campaign||Nawazuddin Siddiqui|
|14.||RBI’s New Executive Director||Uma Shankar|
|15.||New Congress President||Rahul Gandhi|
|16.||Ambassador of India to Kuwait||K. Jeeva Sagar|
|17.||New IOA President||Narinder Batra (FIH Chief)|
|18.||Executive Vice-Chairman of Dvara Trust||Samir Shah (MD & CEO of NCDEX)|
|19.||Vodafone India’s New CFO||Manish Dawar|
|20.||Czech New Prime Minister||Andrej Babis|
|21.||Ambassador of India to Sudan||Ravindra Jaiswal|
|22.||Ambassador of India to the Republic of Mali||PK Gupta|
|23.||Winner of Chile’s Presidential Election||Sebastian Pinera|
|24.||NGT Chairperson who retired recently||Justice Swatanter Kumar|
|25.||New NGT Chairman||Justice Umesh Dattatraya Salvi|
|26.||Europe’s New Chancellor||Sebastian Kurz|
|27.||New NARI Chief||Dr. Samiran Panda|
|28.||Next Secretary general of Amnesty International||Kumi Naidoo|
|29.||Airtel Payments Bank CEO who resigned recently||Shashi Arora|
|30.||New CM of Gujarat||Vijay Rupani|
|31.||General Manager of Cricket Operations||Saba Karim|
|32.||DG of NCC||Lieutenant General B S Sahrawat|
|33.||Ambassador of India to Peru||M Subbarayudu|
|34.||Secretary-General of the global human rights movement||Kumi Naidoo|
|35.||Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh||Jairam Thakur|
|36.||Football Premier League’s ambassador in India||Ranveer Singh|
|37.||New Executive Director of UNICEF||Henrietta Fore|
|38.||world’s first female ambassador to Saudi Arabia||Dominique Mineur (Belgium)|
|39.||General Manager of BCCI||Saba Karim|
|40.||NCB Director general||IPS Officer Abhay|
|41.||ICCR President||Vinay Sahasrabuddhe|
|42.||New Chief Minister of Gujarat||Vijay Rupani|
|43.||Director of SFIO||Amardeep Singh|
|44.||New Vice-President of Zimbabwe||Constantino Chiwenga|
Important Days & Dates | Mark them to Boost up your General Knowledge
|1.||52nd Raising Day of BSF||1 December|
|2.||World AIDS Day||1 December|
|3.||Nagaland Statehood Day||1 December|
|4.||National Pollution Control Day||2 December|
|5.||World Computer Literacy Day||2 December|
|6.||International Day for the Abolition of Slavery||2 December|
|7.||International Day of Persons with Disabilities||3 December|
|8.||Navy Day||4 December|
|9.||World Soil Day||5 December|
|10.||International Volunteer Day for Economic and Social Development||5 December|
|11.||Indian Armed Force Flag Day||7 December|
|12.||International Civil Aviation Day||7 December|
|13.||International Anti-Corruption Day||9 December|
|14.||International Human Rights Day||10 December|
|15.||Universal Health Coverage Day||12 December|
|16.||National Energy Conservation Day||14 December|
|17.||International Tea Day||15 December|
|18.||Vijay Diwas||16 December|
|19.||International Migrants Day||18 December|
|20.||Minorities Rights day||18 December|
|21.||International Human Solidarity Day||20 December|
|22.||National Mathematics Day||22 December|
|23.||National Farmers Day||23 December|
|24.||Good Governance Day||25 December|
|25.||Tsunami Day||26 December|
Recent Deaths of Famous Personalities | Know who died today?
|1.||Shashi Kapoor- Veteran Bollywood Actor|
|2.||Adarsh Sein Anand- Former Chief Justice of India|
|3.||Sreerupa Mukherjee- Former India woman cricketer|
|4.||Saraswati Tripathy- Freedom fighter||Image not available|
|5.||Michael I, Romania’s former king|
|6.||Aadhithyan- Music Director, composed songs for Tamil, Malayalam and Telugu films|
|7.||Lalji Singh – Father of DNA fingerprinting in India|
|8.||Neeraj Vora- Bollywood’s Actor-Director|
|9.||Kartik Narayan- Chennai Based Industrialist|
|10.||Banwari Lal Joshi– Former Uttar Pradesh Governor|
|11.||Partha Mukhopadhyay – Veteran Bengali film actor|
|12.||Dr. Daljit Singh- Eye Surgeon|
|13.||Bob Givens- The creator of bugs and bunny|
|14.||Ashok Mattoo- Veteran sports administrator|
To fetch the complete list of Important Abbreviations that are asked in Competitive Exam, please visit the blog – Popular Abbreviations for Competitive Exams: SSC, IBPS, RRB, Govt Jobs.
The Important Abbreviations used in the Current Affairs of August month are included in the PDF. Download the PDF through the link given below.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
Image Courtesy: Google Images