Read Current Affairs of last month online, all summarized well into one digest GK Eduwrap. Also, covering all the latest questions of General Knowledge asked in General Awareness for Bank PO.
Choose the Section You’d like to Read – Use these links!
|Science & Technology Events|
|Awards & Honours List|
|Appointments GK Updates|
|Recent Deaths Updates|
To get the Monthly Current Affairs & GK Eduwrap in PDF Format, please click the button below -
National Current Affairs | Access the Latest Happenings across India
1. Arunachal Pradesh has been officially declared as second Open Defecation Free (ODF) state in the northeast after Sikkim.
Arunachal has attained the feat much before the national deadline of 2 October 2019, in its 21 districts.
It is overall the fifth state to be declared as an ODF state after Himachal Pradesh, Kerala and Haryana.
2. In the Positive Peace Index 2017 ranking released by the Institute of Economics and Peace, India has been ranked 90th among 163 countries.
The top three countries in the Positive Peace index are Sweden, Switzerland and Finland respectively.
Despite the unrest in the last one year, there is an atmosphere of peace in 93rd countries
3. Under Bharat Net Project, the government plans to connect all Gram Panchayats with high-speed internet through Wi-Fi or other broadband technology by March 2019.
Telecom Minister Manoj Sinha informed the Parliament that government has approved INR 4,066 crore for providing internet connectivity to people at approximately 2,50,000 Gram Panchayats in the country.
4. The Minister of Women & Child Development, Smt. Maneka Sanjay Gandhi has inaugurated an online portal ‘NARI’ in New Delhi for the empowerment of women.
The portal will provide women citizens with easy access to information on government schemes and initiatives for women.
The NARI portal summarizes over 350 government schemes and other important information for the benefit of women, with more being added every day.
5. The entire Nagaland has been declared as a disturbed area for six more months, till June- end, under the controversial AFSPA.
Various organizations have been demanded the controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) in the northeast which gives sweeping powers to the security forces.
AFSPA empowers security forces to conduct operations anywhere and arrest anyone without any prior notice.
6. The UP government has released ‘Uttar Pradesh Electronics Manufacturing Policy’ under which Noida, Greater Noida and the Yamuna Expressway region has been declared as an Electronics Manufacturing Zone.
The aim of this policy is to ensure that the state gets the status of a favorite investment destination.
The target of the policy is to attract investments worth INR 20,000 crore in the ESDM sector and 3 lakh jobs by 2022.
7. Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghubar Das has launched “Saubhagya Yojana”, a programme that would provide electricity to all the 29,376 villages in the state.
The government has provided electricity to 13 lakh households in three years.
By December 2018, the target is to provide electricity to the rest 17.64 lakh households.
8. The Government is implementing a scheme, the Deendayal Disabled Rehabilitation Scheme (DDRS) that provides grant-in-aid to non-governmental organizations for various projects relating to rehabilitation of persons with disabilities.
The objective of the scheme is to enable persons with disabilities to reach and maintain their optimal, physical, sensory, intellectual, psychiatric or social functional levels.
9. A committee, Committee on National Security and Central Police Personnel Welfare has been constituted for recommending the names of IPS officers to the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet for an appointment at the level of Director General.
10. Tamil Nadu has emerged as the leader in the country in terms of Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER) in higher education.
The All India Survey on Higher Education report (2106-2017), released by Minister of HRD Prakash Javadekar, saw the State lead with a GER of 46.9%.
Among Union Territories, Chandigarh recorded 56.1%. GER for higher education is calculated with reference to the age group 18-23.
11. The New Delhi World Book Fair (NDWBF) will be held in the Capital during January 6-14 at Pragati Maidan. It has emerged as one of the most significant events in the publishing world.
The fair is going to be organized by National Book Trust, India which promotes titles, trade, co-publication titles and the habit of reading.
The fair serves as a meeting point for readers and publishers, which had started in 1972.
Considering the ramifications of climate change and in a bid to promote the same, this year the theme of the event is Environment & Climate Change.
The European Union will be the guest of honour for this year.
12. Arunachal Pradesh would become the second state in the country to get Film and Television Institute, being set up by the union government as part of tapping the potential of the North Eastern region.
The first Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) was set up in Pune.
It is an autonomous institute operating under the Information and Broadcasting Ministry.
It was established in 1960. Anupam Kher is its present Chairman.
13. Telangana Government has inaugurated country’s first National Park for people with special needs.
Municipal Administration and Urban Development Minister K.T. Rama Rao inaugurated the park, which has speech therapist, physiotherapist, vocational training instructors for the differently-abled children.
14. The Union Cabinet chaired by PM Narendra Modi has approved the establishment of new AIIMS in Bilaspur (Himachal Pradesh) under the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY) which costs INR 1351 crore.
Under this scheme, AIIMS has been established in Bhubaneshwar, Bhopal, Raipur, Jodhpur, Rishikesh and Patna while work of AIIMS Rae Bareli is in progress.
15. Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister, Jai Ram Thakur has announced setting up of a 24×7 helpline for women, called Gudiya.
Gudiya is a nickname given to the 16-year-old Kotkhai victim of rape and murder during the rule of the previous Congress Government.
Three special crime cells would be set up as part of this initiative. Officers of these cells will report cases of crime against women without any delay.
16. Haryana becomes the first state in the country to launch High-Risk Pregnancy (HRP) Portal as part of the High-Risk Pregnancy Policy of State implemented since November 2017.
The policy aims at identifying 100% name-based high-risk pregnancy cases and ensuring their delivery by specialists at civil hospitals.
The portal will help in early identification of high-risk pregnant cases up to grass-roots level and ensures their timely referral to civil hospitals for further management and delivery by specialists.
17. Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has announced the release of INR 20 crore to the Coimbatore District Small Industries Association (Codissia) for setting up a defence innovation center.
It will help the micro, small and medium enterprises and start-ups engaged in the manufacture of components for the defence sector to conduct tests and trials of the components.
The minister said that India is the third biggest armaments procurement country in the world.
18. The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare is going to roll out National Programme for Control of Viral Hepatitis, a new scheme for free treatment of Hepatitis C from the 2018-19 financial year.
Under the new scheme, the focus will be on anti-viral treatment of Hepatitis C, which will be provided free at all government health set-ups.
19. The 4th International Conference on Dharma-Dhamma was inaugurated at Rajgir, Bihar by the President of India Shri Ram Nath Kovind on January 11, 2018.
The aim of the conference is to provide an opportunity to academics and policy makers from India and abroad to share ideas for a better world.
The conference was organized by Nalanda University in collaboration with the Centre for the Study of Religion and Society, India Foundation, and the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India.
20. Gujarat has topped the Logistics Ease across Different States (LEADS) Index, followed by Punjab and Andhra Pradesh among 22 states.
Commerce and Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu has released the report at the third meeting of Council for Trade Development and Promotion in New Delhi.
21. The Government of India has launched Pradhan Mantri Har Ghar Sahaj Bijli Yojana (SAUBHAGYA).
The objective of the scheme is to achieve universal household electrification by providing last mile connectivity to all household in rural and urban areas by March 2019.
Rural Electrification Corporation (REC), a Navratna Company is organizing a ‘Short Film’ making contest to create awareness about the SAUBHAGYA scheme and to involve general public as ambassadors of the programme.
22. The ministry of health and family welfare has recently released the data of the 4th round of National Family Health Survey (NFHS-4).
According to the survey, Jains are the wealthiest religious community in India.
Delhi and Punjab are the richest states. Bihar is the poorest.
Conducted over 6 lakh Indian households in 2015-16, it also reveals poverty as a largely rural phenomenon.
23. The Ministry of Culture is organizing the 7th edition of the Rashtriya Sanskriti Mahotsav under the Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat programme in Bengaluru, Karnataka to celebrate the idea of unity in diversity.
The Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat programme was launched to promote engagement amongst the people of different states/ UTs, to enhance mutual understanding and bonding between people of diverse cultures, thereby securing stronger unity and integrity of India.
24. The 4th ASEAN-INDIA Ministerial Meeting on Agriculture and Forestry was held at NASC Complex, New Delhi.
The aim of the meeting was to facilitate promotion of joint research for the development of technologies for increasing production and productivity of crops, livestock and fisheries, and natural resources management, among others in the region.
25. The Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA) under the aegis of Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas has launched a month-long Saksham 2018 (Sanrakshan Kshamta Mahotsav).
Saksham is annual flagship event of PCRA with an active involvement of Oil & Gas PSUs along with other stakeholders like State Governments.
Saksham aims at creating focused attention on fuel conservation through people-centric activities and sensitize masses about conservation and efficient use of petroleum products leading to better health and environment.
26. Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Israeli counterpart Benjamin Netanyahu has renamed the iconic memorial ‘Teen Murti Chowk’ as ‘Teen Murti-Haifa Chowk’ after Israeli City Haifa in a solemn ceremony.
Teen Murti statues have three life-size bronze statues representing the Hyderabad, Jodhpur and Mysore Lancers who participated in the Battle of Haifa for the 15 Imperial Service Cavalry Brigade.
The name of Teen Murti Chowk is renamed as a symbolic gesture of friendship between India and Israel.
27. According to the World Economic Forum (WEF), India has been placed at the 30thposition on a global manufacturing index ranking.
Japan has been named first in top-ten list of Geneva-based WEF’s first ‘Readiness for the future of production report’ followed by South Korea, Germany, Switzerland and
India has been placed in the ‘Legacy’ group along with Hungary, Mexico, Philippines, Russia, Thailand and Turkey, among others.
28. Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh has inaugurated the International Workshop on Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (IWDRI) in New Delhi.
The workshop was organized by National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) in collaboration with United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR).
29. The Indo-US joint military exercise ‘Vajra Prahar’ will be held at Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM) in Seattle, USA.
Vajra Prahar is being conducted alternately in India and the US. The last edition of the exercise was held in Jodhpur in March 2017.
30. Union Minister of State for Agriculture & Farmers Welfare, Shri Gajendra Singh Shekhawat is leading the Indian delegation to 10th Global Forum for Food & Agriculture.
The theme of this year’s event is Shaping the future of livestock – sustainably, responsibly, efficiently.
The discussions will focus on sustainable and productive animal production among other issues.
31. PM Narendra Modi has inaugurated HPCL Rajasthan Refinery Ltd (HRRL) project commencement of oil refinery in Rajasthan’s Barmer district. It is first oil refinery to be set up in Rajasthan.
The project is undertaken as a joint venture between Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL) and the Rajasthan government.
HPCL owns 74% stake in the project, while the state government owns 26%.
32. Shri Hardeep S. Puri, Minister of State (I/C) for Housing & Urban Affairs has announced 9 new cities in 4th round under National Smart Cities Challenge.
Silvassa from Dadar & Nagar Haveli has topped the list of winning cities in this round of competition. Other winning cities are –
Erode, Tamil Nadu
Diu, Daman & Diu
Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh
Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh
Moradabad, Uttar Pradesh
Saharanpur, Uttar Pradesh and
33. The government has approved 2018 as ‘National Year of Millets’ to boost production of the nutrient-rich millets and the sunrise agri industry involved in it.
The observation of Year of Millets will help in the promotion of production and consumption of millets will substantially contribute in the fight against targeted hunger and mitigate effect of climate change in long
34. President Ram Nath Kovind presented the Sangeet Natak Academi Fellowship and Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards for 2016 to the renowned group of musicians, Dancers, and theater artists.
The Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship (Akademi Ratnas) and Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards (Akademi Puruskar) are national honours bestowed by the government on performing artists as well as teachers and scholars in the field of performing arts.
The 4 eminent artists have conferred fellowships in the function, namely Arvind Parikh, R Vedavalli, Ram Gopal Bajaj and Sunil Kothari.
35. Tamil Nadu will host an International exhibition on Defence named DefExpo-2018 in April.
The aim of the exhibition is showcasing the latest technologies and products manufactured by both Indian and foreign companies.
It will also give an opportunity to the State to showcase its strength as one the largest manufacturing hubs of defence productions.
36. A National Conference of the State channelizing Agencies, Public Sector Banks and Regional Rural Banks of National Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation (NHFDC) was conducted in New Delhi.
The main aim of the conference was better coordination in NHFDC and Channelizing agencies for the smooth and better implementation of NHFDC Schemes for the benefit of a larger number of Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan).
37. Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu inaugurated the World War II Memorial Museum in the Changlang district, near Myanmar border.
The museum is built by the Union Culture Ministry in memory of those who laid down their lives in WWII and is located adjacent to the historic Stilwell Road.
38. The Minister of State for AYUSH, Shri Shripad Yesso Naik laid the foundation stone for Central Research Institute (CRI) in Jaipur.
This will be the third CRI under the aegis of Central Council for Research in Homoeopathy (CCRH), an autonomous body of Ministry of AYUSH for undertaking scientific research in Homoeopathy, with 23 institutes across the country.
The institute is also contributing to the Swasthya Rakshan Program at five adopted villages.
39. Election Commission of India (ECI) hosted a one-day International Conference on the subject ‘Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities in the Election Process’ in New Delhi on the occasion of 8th National Voters Day Celebrations.
Chief Election Commissioner of India Mr. O.P. Rawat, reiterated ECI’s resolve to uphold the sanctity of free, fair and peaceful elections in keeping with the rich democratic traditions of India.
40. The Government has appointed six new Joint Directors in the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
The officers who have been appointed as joint directors in CBI are senior police officer Praveen Sinha, police officers Ajay Bhatnagar, Pankaj Kumar Srivastava, IPS officers Sharad Aggarwal, Gajendra Kumar Goswami and V Murugesan.
41. President has announced the name of 85 recipients of the prestigious Padma Awards for 2018.
This includes 3 Padma Vibhushan, 9 Padma Bhushan and 73 Padma Shri awards.
Padma Vibhushan Awardees are Illaiyaraja, Ghulam Mustafa Khan, and P. Parameswaran.
Padma Bhushan recipients are:
- Pankaj Advani
- Philipose Mar Chrysostom
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- Alexander Kadakin (Foreigner/Posthumous)
- Ved Prakash Nanda (Overseas Citizen of India)
- Laxman Pai
- Arvind Parikh
- Sharda Sinha
42. President Ram Nath Kovind has felicitated 112 exceptional women achievers, who are first to set a milestone of achievement in their respective fields.
These 122 women achievers are also named as ‘First ladies’, who have been first in any field like first woman judge, first woman porter, first woman to head missile project, first para-trooper, first Olympian among others.
43. The Ministry of Science & Technology has announced four new schemes to promote young scientists and researchers in the country.
These schemes are Teacher Associateship for Research Excellence (TARE) Scheme, Overseas Visiting Doctoral Fellowship, Distinguished Investigator Award (DIA) AWSAR (Augmenting Writing Skills for Articulating Research).
The main aim of schemes is early recognition and reward to young talent in the field of science. These schemes focus on youth to empower, recognize and motivate them.
44. Kolkata, capital of West Bengal became first metro city in India to get floating market. It was inaugurated by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
The floating market is located on lake at Patuli in South Kolkata which is 400 meters long and 60 meters
45. The Raipur Municipal Corporation in Chhattisgarh has organized India’s first garbage festival in Raipur.
The aim of the festival is to increase awareness, use the waste generated in the city creatively and to showcase multiple techniques for reusing things that are labeled as garbage.
The three-day festival includes workshops, talks, and performances.
46. President Ram Nath Kovind has allocated INR 5,35,000 crore for the Bharatmala Project to boost road connectivity in the country.
The efficiency of the national corridor of about 53,000 km of national highways will be increased under this project.
Bharatmala is an umbrella programme of the Centre that seeks to improve efficiency of road traffic movement in the country by bridging critical infrastructure gaps
47. Indian Parliamentary Group (IPG) has decided to confer Outstanding Parliamentary Awards to five Parliamentarians which include three MPs from Lok Sabha and two from Rajya Sabha.
The awards are being given for the years starting from 2013 till 2017 as follows:
- Bhartruhari Mahatab: 2017
- Dinesh Trivedi: 2016
- Ghulam Nabi Azad: 2015
- Hukumdev Narayan Yadav: 2014
- Najma Heptulla: 2013
48. Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeITY) has launched Stree Swabhiman Initiative.
Its aim is to create a sustainable model for providing adolescent girls and women an access to affordable sanitary products by leveraging Common Service Centres (CSCs).
49. The India-Vietnam Bilateral Army Exercise (VINBAX-2018) was conducted at Jabalpur in Madhya Pradesh.
It is the first military exercise between the two countries.
The six-day-long military exercise was conducted as part of joint training undertaken with friendly foreign countries by Indian Army.
International Current Affairs | Know What’s happening around the World
1. The ‘whistled language’ also known as ‘Bird Language’, spoken in Turkish village Kuskoy has entered the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage list.
It was once widespread across Black Sea region with over 400 words and phrases which is around 500 years old.
It is used to communicate in the rugged terrain where it could otherwise be hard to communicate at a distance.
2. Iceland has become the first country in the world to legalize equal pay for men and women, charting a new history.
Under the new law, companies and government agencies that employ at least 25 people will be fined if they can’t prove that they pay men and women equally.
Iceland has been ranked by the World Economic Forum (WEF) as No. 1 in gender equality for the past nine years.
3. The US has placed Pakistan on a ‘Special Watch List’ for severe violations of religious freedom.
It is the only country to be put on the newly-formed list.
The Special Watch List is for countries that engage in or tolerate severe violations of religious freedom but may not rise to the level of the CPC.
4. UN Security Council added six more countries to its team and now it has 15 members.
The new members of the council are Egypt, Italy, Japan, Senegal, Ukraine and Uruguay while the permanent members are Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States.
5. Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates becomes first countries of Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) to introduce value-added tax (VAT), which has long prided itself on its tax-free.
The 6 member of GCC, apart from above two countries are Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, and Qatar which also committed to introduc VAT.
The rate for VAT is set at 5% on the majority of goods and services including petrol and diesel, food, clothes, utility bills and hotel rooms.
6. India and Pakistan have exchanged the list of nuclear weapons and facilities under the agreement on the Prohibition of Attack against the Nuclear installation between the two countries.
The agreement came into forces on 27th January 1991 states that the two countries inform each other about the nuclear installation and facilities on the first January of every calendar year.
It is the 27th consecutive exchange between the two countries. The first exchange had taken place on 1st January 1992.
7. India has removed Pakistan from SAARC member countries list with which it will be connecting its state-of-art National Knowledge Network (NKN) for sharing a scientific database and remote access to advanced facilities.
Six South Asian Association of Regional Cooperation member states are Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal and Shri Lanka.
8. Iran has banned the English language to be tough in primary schools, calling the subject a cultural invasion.
This is because according to Iran’s educational officials, the groundwork for the Iranian culture of the students is laid in primary education.
9. Gujarat CM Vijay Rupani has inaugurated eight-day long International Kite Festival at Sabarmati Riverfront in Ahmedabad.
10. The South Australian government has been approved the development of world’s largest solar-thermal power plant.
Construction on the 150-megawatt Aurora plant will begin in 2018 at an estimated cost of $509 million.
The power plant will provide electricity to 90,000 homes with eight hours of full load storage.
11. The United Kingdom’s Department for International Trade (DIT) will conduct the India-UK Createch Summit in Mumbai on February 6.
This first-of-its-kind conference will celebrate and explore the convergence of creativity and technology (Createch) and the innovations produced by its application across a range of sectors
The new Visit Britain marketing campaign in India will be launched in the evening titled ‘Find Your GREAT Britain’.
12. Nepal has started accessing internet from China after commercial operation of Nepal-China optical fiber link via Rasuwagadhi gateway across Mountains became operational.
The commercial operation of Chinese bandwidth project now ends Nepal’s sole dependence on India for internet bandwidth. It is considered as a loss for India, both revenue wise and strategically.
13. Romania’s Prime Minister Mihai Tudose resigned after his party withdrew its support for him amid a power struggle with the party chairman.
As per the Social Democratic Party officials, Development Minister Paul Stanescu would serve as an interim prime minister.
14. The ISA hosted a two-day event International Solar Alliance Forum during 17-18th January 2018 at the World Future Energy Summit (WFES) 2018.
WFES is a signature event of a global initiative, Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week, hosted by Masdar conducted at Abu Dhabi (UAE).
During the ISA event, an ISA Pavilion was also set up for the dissemination of information about ISA and its activities and programmes.
15. SAREX-18, a joint Search and Rescue Exercise was conducted between India and Japan coast guards in the Bay of Bengal.
The exercise includes the scenario of the hijacking of a cruise vessel and subsequent mass rescue of the passenger in a joint coast guard operation.
A total of 9 Indian Ships and 8 aircraft participated in the exercise. Indian Navy, Indian Airforce, and the National Institute of Ocean Technology (NIOT) also participated in this 7th exercise.
16. The Israeli Government is pushing for Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with India to boost trade and investments.
Free Trade Agreements are an important economic agreement in various areas and it helps in reducing tariffs, non-tariff barriers.
FTA will help to lower tax rates and removal of excessive regulations would help to grow the private businesses.
17. India has moved up on a Global Index of Talent Competitiveness to the 81st position among 118 countries, improving its position from 92nd last year.
Switzerland topped the list released every year on the first day of the World Economic Forum (WEF) annual meeting followed by Singapore and US.
18. According to a biennial report by Yale and Columbia Universities along with the World Economic Forum, India is placed among the bottom five countries on the Environmental Performance Index (EPI) 2018.
India is ranked 177th among 180 countries in EPI 2018.
Top 5 countries are Switzerland, France, Denmark, Malta and
To bottom countries are Nepal, India, Congo, Bangladesh, Burundi.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) | Get the Best Information Out of Top Agreements
1. Allahabad Bank has signed an agreement with National e-Governance Services Limited (NeSL) for utilizing the letter’s Information Utility Services Envisaged under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016.
NeSL is a government-owned first utility entity registered by Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India under IBBI (IU) Regulations, 2017.
2. Punjab National Bank comes ahead to sign a MoU with Principal Financial Group to sell its stake in the mutual fund joint venture for an undisclosed amount.
Punjab National Bank had 21.38% stake in Principal PNB AMC.
The deal will give Principle full ownership of the Principle -PNB asset management company and Principal Trustee Company in India.
3. The Union Cabinet of India has approved the signing and implementation of the MoU between Ministry of Road Transport & Highways and ‘Transport for London’ to improve Public Transport in India.
It will go a long way in strengthening ties and promoting bilateral relations between India and United Kingdom.
The MoU will help to improve the overall public transport system in the country, improve passenger services and promote the use of high capacity buses in India.
4. The Nabard and SBI Bank have jointly signed a MoU with NGOs from West Bengal for the financing of 2,500 Joint Liability Groups (JLGs), or informal credit group of farmers.
The agreement was with five NGOs for promotion of JLGs in Purulia, Paschim Medinipur, Purba Medinipur, Burdwan and North 24 Parganas districts of the state.
JLGs are credit groups of small and marginal farmers who do not have proper title to their farmland.
5. Fintech startup Nearby Technologies has tied up with Yes Bank to provide Aadhaar- enabled cardless and pinless ATM service by which customers can deposit or withdraw money at retailers’ place.
Using the Pay NEARBY mobile application on a smartphone, a retailer can become an Aadhaar ATM/Aadhaar Bank branch for cash withdrawals and deposits by a customer.
Yes Bank and Nearby worked closely with the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) to launch this service.
6. The Union Cabinet has approved Agreement between India and Myanmar on Land Border Crossing. It is an enabling arrangement for movement of people across the border of both counties.
The agreement is expected to provide connectivity and enhance interaction of people of North Eastern States of India with the people of Myanmar.
7. Three Ministries viz. Ministry of Railways, Ministry of HRD and Ministry of Science & Technology have signed MoU for joint funding of Technology Mission for Indian Railways (TMIR).
The MoU aims to facilitate co-financing of TMIR by investment sharing identified railway projects for applied research.
8. Punjab National Bank (PNB) and National Scheduled Castes Finance and Development Corporation (NSFDC) have tied up to provide financial assistance for economic empowerment of persons belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC) families living below Double Poverty Line (DPL).
Under this tie-up, PNB would act as a channelizing agent for the loan schemes of NSFDC.
Concessional finance and skill training grants would be provided to unemployed SC persons living below Double Poverty Line.
9. The Union Cabinet approved Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Canada for cooperation in the field of Science & Technology.
The MoU was concluded by Department of Science and Technology (DST) with Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada.
The MoU will provide a mechanism and help to foster scientific cooperation between Research & Development (R&D) and academic institutions of India and Canada.
10. India and United Kingdom (UK) have signed two Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) dealing with the return of Indians residing in Britain as illegal migrants and sharing of criminal records and intelligence.
The MoUs were signed by India’s Minister of State (MoS) for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju and UK’s Minister of Immigration Caroline Nokes in London.
11. India and Saudi Arabia have signed the bilateral annual Haj 2018 agreement by approving India’s decision to revive the option of sending Haj pilgrims through sea route also.
The agreement was signed by Union Minister for Minority Affairs Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi and Haj and Umrah Minister of Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Mohammad Saleh Bin Taher Benten at Makkah.
12. South Korea and the Gujarat Chamber of Commerce and Industry (GCCI) signed a MoU for the development of industries.
The main objective of the MoU is to help Gujrat based Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) to explore opportunity especially in areas of automobiles, defence and textiles.
13. Football Delhi Signed a MoU with ASSOCHAM for the development of the sport in the capital city.
The emphasis will be given to the grassroots participation through jointly-organized events, seminars, forums. ASSOCHAM and Football Delhi will jointly form a task force to review the progress and take necessary steps.
14. Federal Bank has been exchanged a MoU with Hedge Equities Ltd for providing Portfolio Investment Scheme (PIS) services to NRIs.
In a formal agreement, Jose K Mathew (EVP & Head Retail Business, Federal Bank) and Alex Babu (MD, Hedge Equities Ltd) have signed the MoU announcing the tie-up.
Federal Bank is authorized by the Reserve Bank of India to issue permission letter to NRIs on behalf of the RBI to transact in the secondary
15. PM Narendra Modi and his Israeli counterpart Benjamin Netanyahu have signed nine MoUs, including the fields of cybersecurity, oil and gas, space and science and technology, civil aviation, information and broadcasting and health. Nine MoUs are as follows:
MoU between the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas and the Ministry of Energy on Cooperation in Oil and Gas Sector.
Protocol on Amendments to the Air Transport Agreement.
Agreement on Film-co-production.
Medical Center on Cooperation in the field of Research in Homeopathic Medicine.
MoU between Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST) and the Technion- Israel Institute of Technology for cooperation in the field of space.
Memorandum of Intent between Invest India and Invest in Israel.
Letter of Intent between IOCL and Phinergy Ltd for cooperation in the area of metal-air batteries.
Letter of Intent between IOCL and Yeda Research and Development Co Ltd for cooperation in the area of concentrated solar thermal technologies.
16. Punjab Government has signed a MoU with the Indian Oil Corporation(IOC) to set up biogas and bio-CNG plants in the Punjab state.
The MoU was signed by IOC with Punjab Bureau of Industrial Promotion (PBIP) and Punjab Energy Development Agency(PEDA).
17. The Department of Commerce(DoC) has signed a MoU with the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) for setting-up of an institutional mechanism for the integrated development of Logistics sector in the country.
The objective of the MoU to modernize India’s logistics sector and bring it to par with the global best.
18. India and Sri Lanka signed four agreements for collaboration in Information and Communication Technology (ICT) sector.
Sri Lanka has become the first country to be connected to India’s National Knowledge Network (NKN) through a Gigabyte optical fiber network.
NKN and Sri Lanka’s Education & Research Network (LEARN) which connect academic institutions between the two countries have now been linked with each other through high capacity internet.
19. AU Small Finance Bank has signed an agreement with LIC to offer Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY), which is an Indian Government Scheme.
According to MoU, LIC will give a life cover of INR 2 lakh in case of death to the customer at a nominal premium of INR 330 per year.
The company will also offer loans under government’s affordable housing and subsidy schemes such as Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojna.
20. The Government of India, Government of Uttarakhand and the World Bank Board have signed a $120 million Loan Agreement which will help increase access to improved water supply services in peri-urban areas in the State of Uttarakhand.
This agreement will develop and implement a service-oriented and efficient water supply policy for peri-urban areas, strengthen the current monitoring and evaluation systems, and provide dedicated incentives for preparation and adoption of water supply ‘master-plans’ in peri-urban areas.
21. The Andhra Pradesh Government has signed an agreement with the Canton of Zurich letter of intent to promote mutual prosperity and development.
This agreement will bring the State of Andhra Pradesh and Canton of Zurich closer and ensure that a framework is created, which supports the exchange between both the parties.
22. The World Economic Forum (WEF) has made an agreement with Reliance Industries (RIL) to set up a new Centre for Fourth Industrial Revolution (C4IR) in Mumbai.
After the Silicon Valley at San Francisco which is already home to several exciting developments in the digital space, this would be the first C4IR opened elsewhere.
23. Indian Overseas Bank has signed a MoU with National Housing Bank for the Rural Housing Interest Subsidy Scheme (RHISS) of the Ministry of Rural Development.
The aim of the RHISS is to provide a subsidy for housing loans taken by those living in rural areas for construction and modifications of their dwelling units.
The interest subsidy under the scheme is 3% for a loan amount of INR 2 lakh for 20-year
24. The Government of Japan has committed JICA Official Development Assistance loan for an amount of Yen 45 billion (INR 2587 crore approx.) for the project.
This Project will provide residents of Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagar Palike (BBMP) area especially in 110 villages with safe and stable water supply and sewerage services by the carrying-out construction of water treatment plant and sewage treatment plants.
It will improve living conditions of the residents as well as the investment environment in the concerned areas in BBMP in the State of Karnataka.
25. National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation (NHIDCL) under the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways has signed a MoU with M/S IL&FS Transportation Networks Ltd for construction of the 14.150 km long, 2-lane bi-directional Zojila Tunnel in Jammu & Kashmir.
This would be India’s longest road tunnel and the longest bi-directional tunnel in Asia.
The construction of this tunnel will provide all-weather connectivity between Srinagar, Kargil and Leh and will bring about all-round economic and socio-cultural integration of these regions.
26. India and Vietnam have signed two Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) to enhance cooperation in the field of information and broadcasting and space cooperation.
27. The Government of India and the World Bank have signed a $100 million Loan Agreement for Tamil Nadu.
The agreement aims to promote rural enterprises, facilitate their access to finance, and create employment opportunities for youth, particularly women, in selected blocks of Tamil Nadu across 26 districts, directly benefitting over 400,000 people.
28. The Union Government has inked $250 Million Loan Agreement with Asian Development Bank (ADB) to Improve Rural Connectivity in 5 States viz. Assam, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha and West Bengal under Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY).
The loan proceeds will be used to finance the construction of 6,254 kilometers all-weather rural roads in these 5 States under the PMGS).
Banking Awareness & Economics Current Affairs | Understand the Top Trends in India
1. Kolkata-based Bandhan Bank filed draft papers with the SEBI for its IPO to raise an estimated amount of over INR 2500 crore.
It is assumed as the biggest banking sector IPO till date. The equity shares are proposed to be listed on the BSE and NSE.
2. According to an HSBC report, India’s GDP growth rate is expected to accelerate to 7.0% in 2018-19 from 6.5% in this fiscal.
India’s growth rate is expected to improve further to 7.6% by 2019-20 as key sectors would revive from disruptions related to the implementation of GST and demonetization.
3. The Andhra Pradesh Grameena Vikas Bank (APGVB) has operationalized its first desktop ATM at Kasibugga in Mandi Bazar of Warangal.
The mini-ATM will facilitate customers to withdraw small amounts.
At the same time regular bank account holders can withdraw money and do other banking activities.
4. Paytm Payments Bank has partnered Induslnd Bank to introduce a facility to create a fixed deposit when the customer balance exceeds INR 1 lakh at the end of the day.
Paytm Payments Bank customers can redeem their deposits instantly, anytime without paying any pre-closure or miscellaneous charges and can earn up to 6.85% annual interest.
Additionally, if a customer becomes a senior citizen before the maturity period, the account will be auto-renewed under the senior citizen scheme.
5. HDFC Bank joins Rajasthan Government to develop and strengthen startup companies in the state.
HDFC Bank will provide end-to-end solutions like current accounts, credit cards, and other solutions to startups under its Smart Up programme.
6. Telangana Industrial Health Clinic Ltd (TIHCL), a state government initiative, has got RBI clearance to register and function as a Non-Banking Finance Company (NBFC).
It will be the first state-promoted and co-financing NBFC, according to TIHCL’s Advisor and Director B Yerram Raju.
TIHCL has floated in 2017 with a corpus of INR 100 crore, which included contributions from the State and Central governments, financial institutions, industrial units and high net worth individuals.
7. According to the World Bank, India has enormous growth potential compared to other emerging economies.
India’s growth rate in 2018 is projected to hit 7.3% and 7.5% in the next two years.
India is estimated to have grown at 6.7% in 2017 despite initial setbacks from demonetization and the Goods and Services Tax (GST).
8. India has been ranked as a top borrower by Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) with USD 1.5 billion worth of loans last year and USD three billion more in the pipeline.
Indonesia has been named as the second largest borrower with about USD 600 million loans after India.
9. IDFC Bank has announced its merger with the Mumbai-based Capital First, which has more than 5 million customers in retail and small and medium enterprises.
Shareholders in Capital First will receive 139 shares of the bank for every 10 shares held, the lender said in a stock exchange filing.
Vaidya Nathan, currently Chairman and MD of Capital First, will succeed Rajiv Lal as MD and CEO of the combined entity.
10. The Union Cabinet has approved a number of amendments to Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) Policy. The purpose of amendments is to simplify and liberalize FDI policy in India to provide ease of doing business the in country.
The amendment clarifies that real-estate broking service does not come under real estate business. Therefore, it is eligible for 100% FDI under automatic route.
11. India’s factory output rose to 8.4% in November 2017 from 2% in October 2017. It is measured by the Index of Industrial Production (IIP).
According to data released by the Central Statistics Office (CSO), it was highest growth registered by IIP in 17-months. The previous high was recorded at 8.9% in June, 2016.
12. Norwegian fertilizer giant Yara International has announced completion of its acquisition of Tata Chemicals’ 1.2 million tons per annum production capacity urea plant at Babrala in Uttar Pradesh.
It marks first foreign direct investment (FDI) in India’s highly regulated urea sector.
The INR 2,682 crore acquisition deal includes transfer of all assets and liabilities (including working capital) relating to Babrala unit.
13. BSE’s India International Exchange (India Inx) has listed Indian Railways Finance Corporation’s first green bond on its debt listing Global Securities Market (GSM).
The bonds issued by Indian Railways Finance Corporation (IRFC) are one of the highest credit rated bonds issued by an Indian corporate and has been IRFC’s first foray into the Green Bond market.
14. India’s most-valued lender HDFC Bank Ltd crossed INR 5 trillion market capitalization for the first time, making it only the third Indian company to achieve this milestone.
Tata Consultancy Services Ltd (TCS) and Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) are the other two companies which crossed market capitalization of INR 5 trillion earlier.
The bank also reports bad loan ratio below 1%, the lowest among Indian lenders.
15. Amplus Energy Solutions announced entering into a pact with private sector Bank, Yes Bank for the strategic tie-up to co-finance projects in the solar energy space in India.
The MoU was signed at International Solar Alliance pavilion at the World Future Energy Summit, Abu Dhabi.
Under the partnership, the project’s total capacity is likely to be up to 1,000 MW and these projects would be developed by Amplus by 2023.
16. National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF) has partnered with DP World to create an investment platform for ports, terminals, transportation and logistics businesses in India.
The platform will invest in seaports into areas such as river ports and transportation, freight corridors, port-led special economic zones, inland container terminals, and logistics infrastructure including cold storage.
17. Reliance Industries (RIL) become the first Indian company to cross the INR 6-lakh crore mark in market capitalization as its shares touched a 52-week high of INR 974.5.
India’s largest software exporter, Tata Consultancy Services follows RIL with a market capitalization of INR 5,95,946 crore.
HDFC Bank becomes the first bank to cross-market capitalization of INR 5 lakh crore recently.
Bills [Amendments & New] – See How Many New Bills have been passed in 2018
1. The parliament has passed the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (Amendment) Bill, 2017 with the approval of Rajya Sabha.
The Bill seeks to amend NABARD Act 1981. According to the Bill, authorized capital will be raised to 30000 Crore from 5000 Crore in future.
The Act establishes NABARD for providing and regulating facilities like credit for agricultural and industrial development in the rural areas.
2. Parliament has passed Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Amendment) Bill, 2017 after it was passed by both the houses.
The Bill amends Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC), 2016 and replaces Ordinance promulgated in November 2017 to pave way for tightening loopholes in existing code and make resolution process more efficient.
3. Lok Sabha has passed The Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains (Amendment) Bill, 2017 to allow the government to take up infrastructure projects within prohibited areas around protected monuments.
The Bill amends the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains (AMASR) Act, 1958.
The Bill amends provision related construction in ‘prohibited areas’ in the parent bill to permit construction of public works in ‘prohibited areas’ for public purposes.
4. The Lok Sabha passed High Court and Supreme Court Judges (Salaries and Conditions of Service) Amendment Bill, 2017 to hike the salaries of judges of the Supreme Court (SC) and High Courts (HCs).
The Bill seeks to amend HC Judges (Salaries and Conditions of Service) Act, 1954; and SC Judges (Salaries and Conditions of Service) Act, 1958. These Acts regulate salaries and conditions of service of judges of HCs and SC.
5. The Union Cabinet has approved the proposal to amend Section 4(1) and Section 5(1) of the National Trust for the Welfare of Person with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities Act, 1999 to fix the term of the Chairperson and Members of the Board of National Trust for three years.
Section 4(1) of the National Trust Act, 1999 provides that the Chairperson or a Member of the Board of National Trust would continue in office beyond the prescribed term of three years until his successor shall have been duly appointed.
The proposed amendments in these provisions of the Act seek to avoid such a situation and will thus eliminate any chance of prolonged continuation in the same post by any incumbent.
6. The Union Government notified the Companies (Amendment) Act, 2017. It will come into force after the union govt notifies it in the Official Gazette.
A few provisions in the Amendments Act have an important bearing on the working of the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016.
Merger and Acquisition | Insights of Major Companies & Organizations
1. Digital invoice discounting marketplace Invoicemart has tied up with Bank of Baroda to discount invoices for MSMEs.
Buyers and sellers registered on the marketplace will now be able to access funding from Bank of Baroda.
Invoicemart is a joint venture between Axis Bank Ltd and Mjunction services ltd.
2. Axis Bank is partnering with NGO Srijan through an initiative called Buddha Fellowship Programme to help nurture talent for the development sector.
The bank is mentoring 15 graduates from the Indian Institutes of Management at Kolkata, Ahmedabad and Shillong, who have been taken on board by Srijan as campus hires.
3. The Union Government and state-run oil explorer ONGC closed a deal for the acquisition of government’s 51.11% stake in Hindustan Petroleum Corporation (HPCL) for a consideration of INR 36,915 crore.
The all-cash deal will help government boost its non-debt capital receipts and meet disinvestment target (INR 72,500 crore).
Science & Technology Current Events | Stay Advanced with Latest Inventions
1. Researchers at Spain’s Universidad de Alicante have developed an application that can find people in the areas which do not have mobile signals.
The app generates Wi-Fi signals, which contain user’s location. A portable receiver device is also developed that can detect the signals to find the user.
2. Pakistan is going to set up a new hydropower project of over 700 megawatts in PoK with the help of foreign financing at an estimated cost of USD 1.51 billion by 2022.
It is located on Jhelum River in the Sudhanoti district of Pakistan-occupied Kashmir and about 90 kilometers from Islamabad, which is named as Azad Pattan Hydropower Project (APHP).
The project would be completed by 2022 for which the authorities have sought an import tariff at INR 8.05 per kilowatts.
3. NASA plans to launch Parker Solar Probe to explore Sun’s outer atmosphere in 2018. It will be on the occasion of 60th anniversary of NASA.
It is NASA’s planned robotic spacecraft to probe outer corona of Sun. It will be protected by solar shadow-shield made of the reinforced carbon-carbon composite.
The spacecraft is designed to endure harsh environment near Sun, by approaching within 8.5 solar radii (5.9 million kilometers) to ‘surface’ (photosphere) of Sun where incident solar intensity is approximately 520 times intensity at Earth orbit.
4. State-owned gas utility GAIL India Ltd. has commissioned the country’s second-largest rooftop solar power plant in Uttar Pradesh.
It is opened in a petrochemical complex at pata in Uttar Pradesh of capacity 5.76 MWp.
The first largest rooftop solar power plant was set up in Punjab.
5. According to a new research, a quarter of the Earth’s surface will become much drier if global temperature averages increase by 2 degrees Celsius.
The study led by Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) in Schenzhen China and UEA. The current temperature of the earth is nearly 1.5 degree Celsius.
6. The Pakistan Navy successfully test-fired the indigenously developed ‘Harba’ naval cruiser missile after launching it from a newly commissioned fast attack vessel.
The missile is capable of hitting its target from surface to surface and ground assaults.
7. The US-based scientists have developed hairy skin from mice skin in laboratory conditions, which could lead to treatments for skin disorder and cancers.
According to the researchers, the skin organoids sprouted hair follicles within 20 days.
8. A new species of frog is discovered by scientists named Mewa Singh’s night frog (Nyctibatrachus mewasinghi) in Kozhikode’s Malabar Wildlife Sanctuary, Kerala in the Western Ghats.
It is the latest contribution to spurt in amphibian discoveries across India.
The new night frog species is light brown in colour with an off-white underside.
9. India’s fastest and first multi-petaflops (PF) supercomputer named Pratyush was unveiled at Pune-based Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM).
Pratyush has 6.8 PF computational power installed at two MoES Institutes. 4.0 PetaFlops facility at IITM, Pune and 2.8 PetaFlops facility at NCMRWF, Noida.
Pratyush is fourth fastest supercomputer in the world dedicated to weather and climate research following the supercomputers in Japan, US and United Kingdom.
10. The Ministry of Railways have launched Smart Freight Operation Optimization & Real Time Information (SFOORTI) App to help plan the traffic flows and optimize freight operations,
This is an app which provides features for monitoring and managing freight business using Geographic Information System (GIS) Views and Dashboard.
11. India’s first plant to convert coal to synthetic gas is to be set up in Odisha under the supervision of state-run gas transmission utility GAIL.
According to the Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan, this synthetic gas is expected to be cheaper than natural gas.
GAIL has roped in other public sector undertakings like Coal India, Rashtriya Chemicals and Fertilizers and Fertilizer Corp of India for the project, which will generate ammonia synthesis gas from coal.
12. The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has launched its 100th satellite on January 12 from Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.
The Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV-C40) has carried ‘Cartosat-2’, a weather observation satellite and 30 other satellites on its 42nd mission.
It is ISRO’s first launch in 2018 and also the first after the unsuccessful mission of IRNSS-1H in August last year.
13. China has successfully launched two BeiDou-3 satellites to provide navigation and positioning services to countries along Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) by the end of 2018.
BeiDou the is 2nd generation of Chinese homegrown navigational system seen a as rival to US’s Global Positioning System (GPS).
14. Under the Digital India Project, Union Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs (MoPA) has proposed e-Sansad in Parliament and e-Vidhan in State Legislatures to digitize their functioning.
The aim of digitizing is to make the functioning of Parliament and State Legislatures paperless and make their documents or reports available on the internet.
15. A new moth species ‘Elcysma Ziroensis’ has been discovered in the Talle Wildlife Sanctuary, Arunachal Pradesh.
Researchers from Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS) have discovered a new species of moth.
The discovery was published in the Journal of Threatened Taxa, an international journal on conservation and taxonomy.
16. China has built 100-meter high world’s largest air purifier, nearly 328 feet tall to combat the deadly pollution in the country.
It is built in Xian in Shaanxi province of Northern China and the preliminary results have shown that smog levels have come down and there is some improvement in the air quality.
17. India has successfully tested Long Range Surface-to-Surface Ballistic Missile, Agni-5 for its full range from Dr. Abdul Kalam Island, Odisha.
The range of three-stage solid propellant Agni-5 missile is 5,000 kilometers and it can carry a nuclear warhead of more than one ton.
The missile has been developed by the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO).
18. The Minister of Power and New and Renewable Energy R K Singh announced setting up of $350 million Solar Development Fund for financing solar projects under the International Solar Alliance (ISA).
Present renewable power capacity of India is currently about 60 GW.
India would achieve the 175-Gigawatt target of installed Renewable Energy capacity well before 2020.
19. The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) announced the Cyber Surakshit Bharat initiative in association with National e-Governance Division (NeGD) and industry partners at an inaugural event in Delhi.
It will include an awareness program on the importance of cybersecurity, a series of workshops on best practices.
Cyber Surakshit Bharat is the first public-private partnership of its kind and will leverage the expertise of the IT industry in cybersecurity.
20. The World Economic Forum (WEF) has announced a new Global Centre for Cybersecurity to safeguard the world from hackers and growing data breaches.
The Centre is Headquartered in Geneva and will become operational from March.
21. The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD) has launched beneficiary module of Rapid Reporting System (RRS), a web-based online monitoring of Scheme for Adolescent Girls (SAG).
It has been developed by Ministry of WCD in collaboration with National Informatics Centre (NIC).
The RRS portal will facilitate monitoring of SAG and take corrective measures by ensuring the faster flow of information, accurate targeting of beneficiaries and reduction of leakages.
22. Chinese scientists have successfully cloned two identical long-tailed macaques (monkeys) using the same technique that produced Dolly sheep two decades ago.
This development makes them world’s first primates, the order of mammals that includes monkeys, apes and humans, to be cloned from the non-embryonic
23. Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar in the presence of Japanese Minister Keniko Sen had inaugurated India-Japan Smart Grid Pilot Project Panipat, Haryana.
The aim of the project is to solve the various complications faced by the power distribution sector.
India-Japan Smart Grid Pilot Project was initiated under intensive relations between Japan and India and Central Government’s flagship Make in India Programme.
24. Ministry of Earth Science (MoES) has inaugurated high-performance computer system (HPC) or supercomputer Mihir (meaning sun) at National Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting (NCMRWF), Noida.
The HCP will provide facility for improving weather/climate forecasts. It is country’s largest HPC facility in terms of peak capacity and performance.
It also boosted India’s ranking to Top 30 in the list of HPC facilities in the world.
Sports Current Affairs | Read all the Major Achievements in Popular Tournaments
|S. No.||Tournaments/Sports Names||Winners||Pictures|
|1.||Royal Cup Winner (Golf)||Shiv Kapur|
|2.||National Shooting Championship Men’s 10m Air Pistol Gold Winner||Shahzar Rizvi|
|3.||39th National Games will be hosted at||Meghalaya|
|4.||Hopman Cup (Mixed Tennis)||Roger Federer & Belinda Bencic|
|5.||India’s Highest-Ranked Player in ITTF||G Sathiyan|
|6.||Highest-ranked player in ITTF||Dimitrij Ovtcharov|
|7.||India’s 290th Test Player||Jasprit Bumrah|
|8.||24th Federation Cup All India Carrom Championship Winners||Mohamed Ghufran (men’s single)Kajal Kumari (Women’s single)|
|9.||Inaugural Tata Open Maharashtra Tennis Trophy Winner||Gilles Simon|
|10.||Ranji Trophy Tournament Winner||Vidarbha Cricket Team|
|11.||Kolkata Open 2018 International Invitation Snooker Championship Winner||Aditya Mehta|
|12.||Alpine Ejder 3200 Cup- Skiing (India’s First Skiing Medalist)||Aanchal Thakur (Bronze)|
|13.||National Women’s Boxing Championship Winner||Sarjubala Devi|
|14.||Vibrant Khelo India Logo launched by||Union Sports Minister Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore|
|15.||Sydney International Title Winner (Tennis)||Angelique Kerber|
|16.||8th Sub-junior National Hockey Championship winner||Assam|
|17.||106th edition of Grand Slam Australian Open 2018 will be held at||Melbourne, Australia|
|18.||Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for ICC Cricketer of the Year||Virat Kohli|
|19.||ICC Test Cricketer of the Year||Steve Smith (Australia)|
|20.||ICC ODI Cricketer of the Year||Virat Kohli|
|21.||David Shepherd Trophy for ICC Umpire of the Year||Marais Erasmus|
|22.||Australian Open Women’s Grand Slam Title||Caroline Wozniacki|
|23.||Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 Trophy Winner||Delhi|
|24.||Badminton Association of India (BAI) Lifetime Achievement Award||Prakash Padukone|
|25.||Australian Open 2018 Title Winner||Roger Federer|
|26.||First Nepal Player to get IPL Contract||Sandeep Lamichhane|
|27.||Challenger Level Doubles Title||Leander Paes|
Awards and Honours | Fetch the List of Top Awardees in Distinct Fields
|S. No.||Awards Names||Awardees Names||Pictures|
|1.||Sangita Kalanidhi Award||N. Ravikiran|
|2.||Best Central Bank Governor in Asia-Pacific||Ravi Menon [Managing director of the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS)]|
|3.||Highest Selling Fiction Book of 2017||Sita – Warrior of Mithila|
|4.||Top Selling Book on Amazon India||Indian Polity (5th Edition)|
|5.||Most Well-Read City in India||Bengaluru|
|6.||75th Annual Golden Globe Awards were held at||Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, California|
|7.||Best Motion Picture in Drama category||Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri|
|8.||Best Motion Picture in Musical or Comedy category||Lady Bird|
|9.||Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama||Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour|
|10.||Best Director – Motion Picture:||Guillermo del Toro, The Shape of Water|
|11.||Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy||James Franco, The Disaster Artist|
|12.||Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama||Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri|
|13.||Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy||Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird|
|14.||Best Motion Picture – Animated:||Coco|
|15.||Best Motion Picture – Foreign Language:||In The Fade, Germany, France|
|16.||Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture||Allison Janney, I, Tonya|
|17.||Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture||Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri|
|18.||Cecil B. DeMille Award||Oprah Winfrey|
|19.||1st Mufti Mohammad Sayeed Probity and Public Life Award||Bihar CM Nitish Kumar|
|20.||Crystal Award Winners (WEF Annual Meet)||Actor – Shahrukh KhanActor – Cate BlanchettMusician – Sir Elton John|
|21.||India’s First All-Women Railway Station (Limca Book of Records)||Matunga, Mumbai|
|22.||Cleanest Railway Station (By Travel Portal Ixigo)||Kozhikode Railway Station, Kerala|
|23.||1st woman lawyer to be directly appointed as a judge of the Apex court||Indu Malhotra|
|24.||Lifetime Achievement Award||Singer S.P. Balasubrahmanyam|
|25.||French Honour- Legion of Honour||Actor Soumitra Chattopadhyay|
|26.||Janakavi P Sawlaram Award||Actor Sudhir Dalvi|
|27.||Afghan’s ‘Medal of Bravery’ Award||United States President Donald Trump|
|28.||Ammannur Madhava ChakyarAward||Actor and playwright Girish Karnad|
|29.||Film Fair Award 2018 for Best Film||Hindi Medium|
|30.||Film Fair Award 2018 for Best Actor (Female)||Vidhya Balan (Tumhari Sulu)|
|31.||Film Fair Award 2018 for Best Actor (Male)||Irfan Khan (Hindi Medium)|
|32.||Film Fair Award 2018 for Best Director||Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari (Barailly Ki Barfi)|
|33.||Blind World Cup 2018 Winner||India|
|34.||United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) Award||Mangalajodi Ecotourism Trust in Odisha|
|35.||European Capital of Culture||Vallentta, Malta|
|36.||Ranked 62nd WEF’s Inclusive Development Index||India|
|37.||Dr. Kalam Innovation in Governance Award 2018||Andhra Pradesh IT Minister Nara Lokesh|
|38.||International Dam Safety Conference – 2018 will be held at||Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala|
|39.||Ideal Chief Minister Award||Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik|
|40.||7th Asia Steel International Conference will be held||Bhubaneswar|
|41.||5th Most Attractive Market for Investments||India|
|42.||16th International Energy Forum (IEF) Ministerial meeting will be held at||New Delhi|
|43.||21st India International Seafood Show 2018||Margao, South Goa|
|44.||WTO Ministerial biennial Meeting will be held in||India|
|45.||Ranked 177th in Environmental Performance Index 2018||India|
|46.||UNESCO Award of Merit||Tamil Nadu CM Edappady K. Palaniswami|
|47.||Ashok Chakra||Jyoti Prakash Nirala (Posthumous)IAF Garud Commando Corporal|
|48.||5th Yash Chopra Memorial Award||Asha Bhosle|
|49.||International Bird Festival will be held at||Dudhwa National Park, Uttar Pradesh|
|50.||Legion d’Honneur Award||Soumitra Chatterjee|
|51.||Ihsan Doğramacı Family Health Foundation Prize||Dr. Vinod Paul|
Appointments Latest GK Updates | Upgrade Your Knowledge Cart with the List of Top Influencers
|S. No.||Position & Organization||Name||Pictures|
|1.||Foreign Secretary||Vijay Keshav Gokhale|
|2.||New Prime Minister of Mali||Soumeylou Boubeye Maiga|
|3.||New DGP of Uttar Pradesh||Om Prakash Singh|
|4.||Chief Secretary to Himachal Government||Vineet Chowdhary|
|5.||IIFCL Managing Director||Pankaj Jain|
|6.||Deputy National Security Advisor||Rajinder Khanna|
|7.||Infosys CEO and MD||Salil S Parekh|
|8.||Science Film Festival of India will be hosted at||Goa|
|9.||‘Samudra Manthan – Caring Organization of the Year’ award||Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust|
|10.||Economic Relations Secretary in the External Affairs Ministry||T S Tirumurti|
|11.||MD & CEO of National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI)||Dilip Asbe|
|12.||2nd Edition of Bird Festival will be held at||Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary, Canacona, Goa|
|13.||Chairman of the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD)||Sunny Verghese|
|14.||Brand ambassador of Sikkim||A R Rahman|
|15.||New Chairman of ISRO||Sivan k.|
|16.||Advocacy Ambassador for a Swachh Aadat Swachh Bharat Initiative||Actress Kajol|
|17.||Chairman of Gems and Jewellery Export Promotion Council (GJEPC)||Pramod Agarwal|
|18.||Speaker of 13th Himachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly||Rajiv Bindal|
|19.||Chairman of the Finance Commission of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA)||Anil Khanna|
|20.||Chef De Mission of Indian Contingent of 23rd Winter Olympic Games||Harjinder Singh|
|21.||MD and CEO of the Agri-Commodity Bourse NCDEX||Vijay Kumar|
|22.||First Female Prime Minister of Romania||Viorica Dancila|
|23.||The 4th edition of the India International Science Festival will be held at||Lucknow|
|24.||New Chief Election Commissioner||Om Prakash Rawat|
|25.||New Chairman of Indian School of Business||Harish Manwani|
|26.||New Director General of National Security Guard (NSG)||IPS Officer Sudeep Lakhtakia|
|27.||Next Governor of Madhya Pradesh||Anandiben Patel|
|28.||Director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre||S Somanath|
|29.||FICCI Director General||Dilip Chenoy|
|30.||First woman Chairman of Indian Banks’ Association (IBA)||Usha Ananth Subramanian
MD & CEO, Allahabad Bank
|31.||Next chairman of the Federal Reserve||Jerome H Powell|
|32.||Director of ISRO’s Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre (LPSC)||Dr. V. Narayanan|
|33.||Finland President||Sauli Niinisto|
Important Days & Dates | Mark them to Boost up your General Knowledge
|S. No.||Important Days||Dates|
|1.||Global Family Day||1 January|
|2.||World Braille Day||4 January|
|3.||World Day of War Orphans||6 January|
|4.||Pravasi Bharatiya Divas||9 January|
|5.||World Hindi Day||10 January|
|6.||National Youth Day||12 January|
|7.||70th Army Day (Indian Army)||15 January|
|8.||National Voters Day||25 January|
|9.||Republic Day||26 January|
|10.||World Leprosy Day||28 January|
Recent Deaths of Famous Personalities | Know who died today?
|1.||M.V. Pylee – Renowned Educationist (Padma Bhushan)|
|2.||Anwar Jalalpuri – Eminent Urdu Poet|
|3.||Radha Viswanathan – Carnatic Vocalist|
|4.||Baldev Raj – Director of the National Institute of Advanced Studies|
|5.||John Young – First Shuttle Commander US Astronaut|
|6.||Shrivallabh Vyas – Bollywood actor|
|7.||Peter Sutherland – Former WTO director general and Goldman Sachs international chairman|
|8.||Doodhnath Singh – Hindi writer|
|9.||Saksham Yadav – Powerlifting world champion|
|10.||Raghunath Jha – Former Union Minister|
|11.||Pt Buddhadev Dasgupta – Sarod Maestro|
|12.||Gnani Sankaran – Journalist and Writer|
|13.||W B Rao – Cinematographer|
|14.||Nandkishore Trikha – Journalist|
|15.||Charu Rohatgi – Actress|
|16.||Ava Mukherjee – Actress|
|17.||Chandi Lahiri – Cartoonist|
|18.||Kashinath – Kannada Actor, Director, Producer|
|19||Supriya Devi – Bengali Film Actress|
|20.||Gurcharan Singh Kalkat – Agricultural Scientist|
|21.||Dinesh Nandan Sahay – Former governor of Chhattisgarh and Tripura|
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
Image Courtesy: Google Images