Read Current Affairs of last month online, all summarized well into one digest GK Eduwrap. Also, covering all the latest questions of General Knowledge asked in General Awareness for Bank PO.
National – Across the India
1. India has emerged as the third largest aviation market in the world with a passenger traffic of over 10 crores reported for 2016-17.
Minister Jayant Sinha confirmed that Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS-UDAN) scheme will allow India to have 200 plus airports in the next 10-15 years.
2. Defence Minister Arun Jaitley has inaugurated the newly built Aeronautical Test Range (ATR) of the Defence Research & Development Organization (DRDO) at Chitradurga in Karnataka.
The current length of the runway at the ATR is 2.2 km and it will be used for testing of bigger aircraft like AEW&CS (Airborne Early Warning &Control Systems) aircraft.
3. Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar announced a slew of incentives for journalists: –
A Rs 10,000 monthly pension scheme for those who are above 60 years and have completed 20 years in the profession.
A life insurance cover of Rs 10 lakh and a cashless mediclaim policy of Rs 500,000.
4. The Goa State government has decided to ban buying and selling of plastic bags below 50 microns with effect from July 2017.
Initially, violators of the ban will be asked to pay a fine of Rs. 500 and subsequently the fine amount would be raised to Rs. 5000 depending upon the initiative’s success.
5. Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan and actress Anushka Sharma will launch the Narendra Modi government’s ‘Darwaza Band’ campaign aimed at making India open defecation free.
The campaign will be launched in Mumbai and will call for toilet usage in the rural areas across the country.
6. Human Resources Development Minister Prakash Javadekar has launched an Anti-Ragging Mobile App of the University Grants Commission (UGC).
It will help the students to register complaints against the menace of ragging in the country.
7. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate Kerala’s prestigious Kochi Metro project on 17th June 2017.
The inaugural function of the 13 km Aluva-Palarivattom corridor will be held at Aluva in Ernakulam district.
8. Union Minister Venkaiah Naidu flagged off the first train of the Delhi Metro’s Heritage Line which will now be open for public.
This 5.17-km-long corridor Heritage Line has four stations- Kashmere Gate, Dilli Gate, Jama Masjid and Lal Quila.
9. Ministry of Earth Sciences, Government of India is all set to launch Deep Ocean Mission by January 2018.
This will improve India’s position in ocean research field.
10. India will become the first country to have all government-owned 12 ports running on solar and wind energy.
The government plans to install almost 200 megawatt solar and wind power generation capacity at the ports by 2019.
11. Union Minister Manoj Sinha announced the India Mobile Congress 2017 (IMC 2017).
It is scheduled as a three-day event from 27th to 29th September 2017 in New Delhi.
12. PM Narendra Modi and Japan’s PM Shinzo Abe will together lay the foundation stone for the bullet train project in the month of September 2017.
The construction work would continue for another five years and mentioned that the government was committed to complete the project by the end of 2022.
13. The Telangana state government will launch its T-Wallet as an “anytime anywhere digital payment option for everyone”.
The T-Wallet will charge a nominal cost for private transactions and charges will not be applicable for paying electricity bills, water bills, property taxes.
14. The government has launched ‘SPARROW-ITS’ (Smart Performance Appraisal Report Recording Online Window).
It will enable the Indian Trade Service (ITS) officers to fill their Annual Performance Appraisal Report (APAR) online for the year 2016-17 onwards.
15. The Indian Railways introduced ‘Buy Now, Pay Later’ service for passengers to book tickets online first and make payment for the reservations within a window of 15 days.
The new Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) feature is being enabled in partnership with the Mumbai-based ePaylater company.
16. The Income Tax (IT) Department announced that taxpayers can now link their Aadhaar Card number with their Permanent Account Number (PAN) by using an SMS-based facility.
The two numbers can be linked by sending an SMS to either 567678 or 56161.
17. Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis launched a web portal ‘Mahaswayam’ for job seekers, employers, entrepreneurs, and training institutes.
Previously launched Maharashtra State Skill Development Society (MSSDS) portal, ‘Maharojgar‘ and ‘Mahaswayamrojgar‘ have now been merged into ‘Mahaswayam’.
18. The Union Ministry of Women & Child Development (MWCD) clarified that the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao scheme has no provision for individual cash transfer component.
Its focus is on issues of women empowerment on a life cycle scale. It is not a Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) scheme.
19. The country’s First Automatic Coastal Warning for Disasters Early Warning Dissemination System (EWDS) will commission in Odisha from July 2017.
Andhra Pradesh is also reportedly developing such system to alert the people in case of natural calamities.
20. Making of Developed India Festival – MODI Fest was inaugurated at Malleswaram in Bengaluru.
The objective of the programme was to communicate on the occasion of completion of three years in office by the Central Government.
21. Nitin Gadkari launched web-based application for Infrastructure and Material Providers, INAM-Pro + in New Delhi.
It is an upgraded version of INAM-Pro, designed by National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation Ltd (NHIDCL).
22. Telangana Chief Minister Chandrasekhar Rao announced a 6-point comprehensive plan for farmers in Secunderabad: –
8 thousand rupees cash assistance per acre per annum to each farmer in the state.
24/7 continuous electricity supply.
Formation of crop colonies and support price for their yield.
1000 social security pension for single destitute women.
Rs 15,000 help to mother and child which incorporates ‘KCR Kits’ worth Rs 2,000 to take care of their nutrition and health needs.
23. CM N Chandrababu Naidu launched Sexed Semen for Cows Supply Scheme (SSCSS) and inaugurated mobile veterinary clinic under Sanchara Pasu Vaidya Seva Kendram (SPVSK).
The main aim was to provide veterinary service at the doorstep of farmers in uncovered areas.
24. The single women pension scheme, providing Rs 1,000 financial assistance per month to poor women, was launched across Telangana.
Single women whose annual income is below Rs. 2 lakhs are eligible for the pension.
25. Kerala State government has come out with a green protocol to make the weddings in the state more nature-friendly.
As per the protocol, plastic and other non-biodegradable articles including disposable glasses and plates and thermocol decorations will not be permitted to be used in wedding ceremonies.
26. Union Minister of State Dr. Jitendra Singh announced the launch of Hill Area Development Programme (HADP) for Northeast in Imphal (Manipur).
The hilly areas of Manipur, Tripura and Assam have a distinct geophysical entity and are lagging in socio-economic development.
27. Union Government launched 10 lakh LED street lights to be installed in Gram Panchayats of 7 districts in State namely Guntur, Prakasham, Nellore, Kurnool, Kadapa, Anantapur & Chittoor in the first phase.
This is the first project for rural LED street lighting in the country under the Government of India’s Street Lighting National Project (SLNP).
28. Habibganj Railway Station in the suburbs of Bhopal will become country’s first railway station to be redeveloped in a public-private partnership (PPP) mode.
The idea is to develop Habibganj Railway Station as an world-class transit hub equipped with all amenities.
29. Shri J P Nadda, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare launched the ‘Skill for Life, Save a Life’ initiative at a function.
The initiative aims to upscale the quantity and quality of trained professionals in the healthcare system.
30. Union Minister M Venkaiah Naidu launched Segregation of Waste at Source Initiative for National Capital Region at Talkatora Stadium.
It would help to protect the environment, preservation of earth from climate change and make waste into the wealth by recycling.
31. M. Venkaiah Naidu has inaugurated the Saath Hai Viswaas Hai, Ho Raha Vikas Hai Exhibition at Indira Niketan Park, Sarojini Nagar, New Delhi.
The Exhibitions would showcase the achievements of the Government in the last 3 years in various sectors.
32. The Yogi Adityanath cabinet in Uttar Pradesh decided to rename Mughalsarai railway station near Varanasi after RSS ideologue Pandit Deendayal Upadhyaya.
Upadhyay had died under mysterious circumstances while travelling in a train at Mughalsarai station on 11th February 1968.
33. Health Secretary C K Mishra has inaugurated the Vatsalya – Maatri Amrit Kosh a National Human Milk Bank and Lactation Counselling Centre at the Lady Hardinge Medical College (LHMC) in New Delhi.
Vatsalya – Maatri Amrit Kosh will collect, pasteurize, test and safely store milk donated by lactating mothers and make it available for infants in need.
34. The Indian Railways is working on a roadmap to collaborate with Malaysia to redevelop around 20 stations in Tier-II cities across India.
The project is aimed at attracting about Rs 1 lakh crore private investment and is also expected to revamp the infrastructure at platforms as well as circulating areas.
35. Lt General Amarjeet Singh Bedi has inaugurated a War Memorial at Thembang village in Kameng district of Arunachal Pradesh.
The memorial has been dedicated to the men of 5 Guards, who fought during the Indo-China war in Thembang village on 16th & 17th November 1962.
36. The Presidential Election of India will be held on 17th July 2017, as per the announcement made by Chief Election Commissioner Nasim Zaidi.
The term of President Pranab Mukherjee will come to an end on 24 July 2017.
The nominations for Presidential Election will begin from the 14th June 2017 and will end on 28th June 2017.
37. The Ministry of Civil Aviation is adding a digital experience for air travelers through DigiYatra platform to transform the nation into a digitally empowered society.
The initiative will help passengers plan their trips efficiently by identifying price trends and estimate future airfares at the time of ticket booking.
38. Minister of Railways Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu inaugurated Indian Railways’ 1st HR Round Table Conference on 8th June 2017.
The Conference was organized around three themes i.e. Stakeholders Expectations from HR, The Future of Work – HR Role and Creativity Within Constraints.
39. The second National Health Editors’ Conference on Yoga was inaugurated by Minister of State for AYUSH (Independent Charge), at National Media Centre in New Delhi on 9th June.
The theme of this year’s conference was Yoga for Health and Harmony.
The aim of the conference was to give insight to the journalists about the scientific aspects of yoga & its benefits for human health.
40. President Pranab Mukherjee launched the ‘Selfie with Daughter’ mobile application.
The aim of the campaign is to raise awareness about female foeticide and sex selection.
The campaign was started by Sunil Jaglan in June 2015 in village Bibipur in Haryana’s Jind district.
41. Shri Thaawarchand Gehlot inaugurated the Eastern Regional Conference of Eastern Region States on issues relating to Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities.
It was organized by Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD), Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment.
42. NITI Aayog has launched SATH, a program providing ‘Sustainable Action for Transforming Human Capital’ with the State Governments.
The vision of SATH Program is to initiate transformation in the education and health sectors.
43. Supreme Court rules that it would be mandatory for all Aadhaar holders to link the unique identity number with the PAN for filing income tax returns.
Under the Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Act, 2016, the unique identity number is mandatory only to receive social welfare benefits.
44. Kolkata city will set to have India’s first underwater transportation tunnel Metro Rail Service under the river Hoogly.
The project connects Howrah to the west and Salt Lake to the east and has a stretch of 16.6 km with 12 stations.
45. The government has launched the ‘Tele-Law’ initiative to make legal aid easily accessible to the marginalized communities and citizens living in rural areas.
46. Uttar Pradesh ranked First in Number of Child Labourers as the data presented by the Child Rights and You (CRY) Report.
They also say that more than 8 lakh children between the age group of 5 and 6 years in India are engaged in child labour.
47. India has emerged as the seventh largest exporter of agri-products globally.
Vietnam, UAE, Saudi Arabia, USA, Iran, Iraq and Nepal are the major destinations for export of food products from India.
48. The Indian Railways is planning to induct about 40,000 coaches with improved interiors and upgraded facilities at an estimated cost of Rs. 8,000 crores to provide world-class comfort to passengers.
The coaches will be retrofitted with refurbished interiors, improved seating arrangement and newly designed bio-toilets among other facilities.
49. Union minister M. Venkaiah Naidu presented 100 volumes of collected works of Mahatma Gandhi to Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan for the Parliament Library.
The written works of national movement evoked a sense of popular participation, feeling of oneness and unity for the nation.
50. The Centre has approved proposals for setting up of 100 Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy (AYUSH) hospitals across the country.
The ministry has approved setting up of two 50-bedded integrated AYUSH hospitals at Theni and Tiruvannamalai districts in Tamil Nadu.
51. An open defecation-free village in Mewat, Haryana, will be named after U.S. President Donald Trump to build a good relationship between India and the United States.
52. The Union cabinet approved the Interest Subvention Scheme (ISS) for farmers for the year 2017-18 to make the available agricultural credit for short term crop loans at an affordable rate.
The Government has allocated Rs. 20,339 crores for this scheme.
53. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the 13-kilometer section of Kochi Metro from the Palarivattom station.
The Kochi Metro will be the first in India to use Communication Based Train Control technology to maximize frequencies and minimize errors.
54. India has ranked 75th in Environmental Impact Survey conducted by UK-based Money Super Market.
55. The Haryana Government announced immediate implementation of the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY) to help farmers avail of insurance cover against crop loss due to natural calamities for 2017-18.
56. Sushma Swaraj announced the opening of 149 new Post Office “Passport Seva Kendras (POPSKs)”. It will be set up in the second phase.
In the first phase 86 POPSKs were to be set up 52 of which are now functional.
57. The iconic Taj Mahal Palace in Mumbai has just got itself trademarked and become the first in the country to get such a registration.
The hotel has joined the elite and small club of trademarked properties in the world which includes the Empire State Building in New York, the Eiffel Tower in Paris and Sydney Opera House.
58. Minister for Science & Technology Dr. Harshvardhan launched a Mobile App “Celebrating Yoga”.
The aim of the app is to popularize Yoga and encourage people to practice yoga for a scientifically healthy living.
59. India became the 71st country to sign the United Nations International Convention on Road Transports (TIR).
TIR will help India to integrate with Myanmar and Thailand as well as Bangladesh, Bhutan, and Nepal.
60. Union Minister Piyush Goyal has launched the Energy Conservation Building Code 2017 (ECBC 2017) that prescribes the energy performance standards for new commercial buildings to be constructed across India.
61. Bihar Governor Ramnath Kovind will be NDA’s presidential candidate for the upcoming Presidential election.
The presidential election is scheduled to be held on 17 July 2017.
62. Telangana Government launched the ‘Hyderabad City Wi-Fi’ project, providing the wireless Networking Technology at over 1,000 public places in the city.
The network has now been installed at 1,000 hotspots with an assured bandwidth of 5-10 Mbps offering 30 minutes of free wi-fi.
63. Bengaluru’s Mypetrolpump has become country’s first firm to deliver diesel at the doorsteps, reported the Times of India.
64. According to Mercer’s 23rd annual Cost of Living Survey, Mumbai is the most expensive city for expatriates in India and is ranked higher than major global cities such as Paris, Canberra, Seattle and Vienna.
Mumbai is placed 57th on the list while New Delhi was placed at 99th position.
65. The Indian Railways like Rajdhani and Shatabdi Express, to launch Operation Swarn (‘gold’).
Under the initiative, Indian Railways will work towards improving 10 aspects, namely, punctuality, cleanliness, linen, coach interiors, toilets, catering, staff behavior, security, entertainment, housekeeping and regular feedback.
66. Union Minister M. Venkaiah Naidu has announced a new batch of 30 smart cities under Smart City Mission, which was launched on 25th June 2015.
Out of the 30 cities, 26 had proposed affordable housing projects, 26 had proposed new schools and hospitals and 29 had proposed redesign and development of roads.
67. The Swachh Bharat Mission Gramin (SBM-G), rural Uttarakhand and rural Haryana declared as the 4th and 5th Open Defecation Free (ODF) the States of India.
68. The State Government of Odisha approved 53 urban projects with a total investment of Rs 538 crore under the Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) to provide basic services is water supply, sewerage, urban transport to households and build amenities in cities which will improve the quality of life.
69. Department of Science and Technology has launched VAJRA (Visiting Advanced Joint Research) Faculty scheme.
The scheme enables NRIs and overseas scientific community to participate and contributes to research and development in India.
70. Urban development minister M. Venkaiah Naidu launched its first Liveability Index which will rank the country’s 116 major cities on the basis of the quality of life.
71. Maharashtra Government will launch My Plant app to create a database on tree plantation.
72. Union Minister Piyush Goyal has launched Weather Portal for Power Sector & Web Portal ‘MERIT’ (Merit Order Despatch of Electricity for Rejuvenation of Income and Transparency).
POSOCO-IMD Weather Portal The weather portal has been developed in association with POSOCO and IMD.
73. External Affairs minister Sushma Swaraj announced that the passport application fee for applicants under the age of eight and over the age of 60 had been reduced by 10 percent.
She also informed that from now onwards, all new passports issued will be in Hindi and in English both.
74. A Panel to Frame National Education Policy (NEP) – HRD Ministry
Members – 9
Head of the Panel – Space Scientist K Kasturirangan
Other Members –
(i). Former IAS Officer – K.J. Alphonse Kanamthanam
(ii). Vice-Chancellor of Baba Saheb Ambedkar University of Social Sciences, Mhow, Madhya Pradesh – Ram Shanker Kureel
(iii). Former Member Secretary of the Karnataka State Innovation Council – M.K. Shridhar
(iv). Professor of Persian at Guwahati University – Dr. Mazhar Asif
(v). Former Director of Education, Uttar Pradesh – Krishan Mohan Tripathi
(vi). Mathematician from Princeton University – Manjul Bhargava
(vii). Expert on Language Communication – T.V. Kattimani
(viii). Former Vice Chancellor of Mumbai’s SNDT University – Vasudha Kamat.
75. Key Facts of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s meet with Donald Trump (The US President)
Pakistan – It will not use its soil for cross border terror strikes.
Drones – US will offer Gaudian Unmanned Aerial Systems to help India in keeping watch on Indian Ocean.
Hizbul Mujahideen Chief Syed Salahuddin – US designated him has a Global Terrorist.
Trade Barriers - A fair and reciprocal trade relationship will be maintained between India & the US.
GST – Donald Trump has given a thumb up to India’s GST that has come into effect from July 1.
Naval Exercise – India & the US to join Japan to conduct the maritime war game ever conducted in the Indian Ocean.
Afghanistan - Shared Concerns to strengthen cooperation for establishing peace in the war-torn country.
North Korea - Trump and Modi have labelled the missile programs of North Korea as a grave threat to global peace.
Sneak Peek of the India-US Meet – Trade, Commerce & Investment will be the key areas of Mutual Co-Operation. Apart from these, India will also be enhancing its Technological Abilities, Innovation & Knowledge Economy.
76. First state to open a Blood Bank for Cattle – Odisha.
77. Arunachal Pradesh govt raises retirement age of employees to 60 years.
It will come in effect from 1st January 2018.
International – Across the Globe
1. China launched cybersecurity law to ensure its national security, amid criticism from foreign companies.
It will safeguard China’s cyberspace sovereignty, national security, public interest, as well as the rights and interests of citizens, legal persons and other organizations.
2. As per India Development Report released by World Bank, India ranks 120th among 131 countries in terms of women participation in the workforce.
In India, the women participation in the workforce is only 27%, which is much lower as compared to China and Brazil where it is in the range of 65 – 70%.
3. Nine Indian cities figured on the latest edition of JLL ‘Global 300′ cities.
Delhi and Mumbai ranked in the ‘Global Top 30′.
Bangalore, Chennai and Kolkata ranked in the ‘Global Top 100’.
Other cities are Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, Pune and Surat.
4. India and Pakistan added as full members of the Beijing-backed Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) that will be formalized at the political and security grouping’s summit in Astana, Kazakhstan.
The SCO granted full membership status to Pakistan and India during its Ufa summit held in Russia in 2015.
5. Iceland has been named the world’s most peaceful nation in the 2017 Global Peace Index Ranking.
New Zealand and Portugal have finished the top three, while Syria has been named the slightest peaceful.
The US has dropped 11 spots to rank 114, while India is positioned 137 out of 163.
6. President Donald Trump announced US withdrawal from Paris Climate Change Agreement.
He stated that the Paris accord would undermine the U.S. economy, cost U.S. jobs, weaken American national sovereignty.
7. India has been ranked 45th in 2017 World Competitiveness Rankings compiled by International Institute for Management Development’s (IMD) World Competitiveness Center.
The list was topped by Hong Kong, while Switzerland and Singapore were ranked second and third respectively, with the USA at the fourth spot.
8. The 2017 Global Retail Development Index (GRDI) titled ‘The Age of Focus’ has placed India at the top position among 30 developing countries on ease of doing business in the retail sector.
China was placed at the second place.
9. The second Mission Innovation Ministerial (MI-2) will take place in Beijing, China on 7th–8th June 2017.
This event will include ministerial working sessions, opportunities for high-profile announcements, Innovation Challenge discussions, and a series of side events.
10. According to UNCTAD’s World Investment Report 2017, India continues to remain as a favourite destination for FDI.
According to the report, the favourite destinations for FDI are the US, China and India.
As per the report, FDI inflows into a developing Asia has reduced by 15% to USD 443 billion in 2016.
11. India ranks 74th in 4G Internet Data Speed with a download speed of 5.1Mbps.
Singapore scored the highest in 4G speed while South Korea scored highest in 4G availability.
The global average 4G download speed was 16.2 Mbps.
12. According to BMI Research, a Fitch group company, India is among the top five consumer markets in Asia offering retailers the strongest consumer spending growth of an average of 6.1% over the next five years.
The other four countries are China, Sri Lanka, Vietnam and Indonesia.
13. The summit of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) was held in Astana, Kazakhstan on 8th-9th June.
India and Pakistan formally admitted into the SCO.
Chinese President Xi Jinping, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, and Russian President Vladimir Putin attended the summit among others.
14. The BRICS countries grouping established a one-million-dollar fund for boosting media cooperation in the five-nation grouping.
The proposal is also aimed at the joint development of BRICS digital media, financial information services and promoting people- to-people contacts.
15. The Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings 2018 has been released, IIT-Bombay, IIT-Delhi and IISc Bengaluru, have made it to the top 200 global universities.
IIT-Bombay rank 179 this time.
IIT-Delhi has risen from 185 ranks to 172 this year.
IISc slipped over 30 places from 152 to 190.
16. The United Nations has held its first ever Ocean Conference on protecting the world’s seas and waterways.
The member nations are using the Ocean Conference to renew their commitment to combatting rising sea levels, pollution, and harmful fishing practices.
17. Ministry of Home Affairs has constituted anexpert committee to examine the rules which allow free movement of people near Indo-Myanmar border.
18. India to be a co-partner in a global food and beverages trade ANUGA to be held in Cologne, Germany from 7th-11th October 2017.
19. G7 Environment Ministers Meeting was held in Bologna, Italy on 11-12th June 2017 to discuss issues ranging from climate change to sustainable development and litter at sea.
20. Technology giant Google has topped the 2017 BrandZ Top 100 Most Valuable Global Brands list, with a brand value of over $245 billion.
US tech giants Apple, Microsoft, and Facebook were also among the five most valuable brands.
21. According to a statement issued by the ILO in Geneva, Switzerland India contract two key ILO conventions on child Labour.
The two ILO conventions are: The Minimum Age Convention (No 138) and The Worst Forms of Child Labour Convention (No 182).
22. Indians working across the world had sent home USD 62.7 billion in 2016 making India the top remittance-receiving country surpassing China, according to UN Report.
23. India ranked 60th on the Global Innovation Index (GII) 2017, co-authored by Cornell University, European Institute of Business Administration (INSEAD) and World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO).
The list is topped by Singapore followed by Sweden and Netherlands at second and third place respectively.
24. India has won its re-election to the UN’s principal organ on economic, social and environmental issues for another three-year term.
India was one among the 18 nations to win election to the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
25. India will host the third annual meeting of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) will be held in Mumbai, India, in June 2018.
26. The Third United Nations (UN) International Day of Yoga held in China where thousands of Chinese would participate in scores of events organized across the country.
As per the official report, it was the second biggest yoga day celebration in the world after India.
27. The Australian Government announced that Indian Nationals can apply for a visitor visa online starting from 1st July 2017.
It will offer benefits like 24/7 accessibility, electronic payment of the visa application charge and the ability to check the status of applications lodged online, all through the department’s ImmiAccount portal.
28. The Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO) BIO 2017 is held in the San Diego Convention Centre, San Diego from 19th June to 22nd June 2017.
It was hosted by the Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO).
29. China has unveiled world’s first train that runs on a virtual track making use of sensor technology instead of metal rails.
The train can reach a top speed of 70 kmph and can travel a distance of 25 km by just charging for 10 minutes.
30. India and Russia have identified key areas to cooperate in the Science and Technology sector, including Space and Marine Technologies, IT and deep ocean engineering.
It is Inspired by India’s ‘Make in India’ initiative and Moscow has launched a “Do It in Russia” initiative to promote local manufacturing and technology development.
31. According to United Nations Report, India to become world’s most populous country by 2024 while Nigeria will overtake US in third spot.
32. World’s Worst Offenders in Human Trafficking Report by the US – China
The United States is going to declare China as World’s Worst Offenders on Human Trafficking in its Annual Trafficking in Persons Report.
33. First Foreign Leader to have a White House dinner after joining of the New US President Donald Trump – Indian President Mr. Narendra Modi
34. The United States’ New VISA Criteria for Six Muslim Countries.
As per this criterion, the candidates from six major Muslim countries would not be able to travel in the United States until they prove a relationship with a parent, spouse, child, adult son or daughter, son-in-law, daughter-in-law or sibling in the US.
35. Germany has legalized same-sex marriage in line with a host of other European countries.
German lawmakers had voted 393 for- and 226 against legalizing same-sex marriage.
Sports & Athletics
1. Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel won the 2017 Monaco Grand Prix at the Circuit de Monaco, La Condamine and Monte Carlo, Monaco.
The second place was secured by Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen, while the third place was secured by Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo.
2. South Korea defeated China and won badminton’s Sudirman Cup 2017 for the first time in 14 years, held in Gold Coast Australia.
Korea won by 32 points against China.
3. Ananya Kamboj from Mohali, has been selected to represent India as a young journalist at the global Football For Friendship (F4F) social programme in Russia.
She will join young journalists from around the world in St. Petersburg, Russia in July 2017.
4. Arsenal won its 13th FA Cup with a 2-1 victory over Chelsea, the reigning Premier League champions at the Wembley Stadium in London, England.
Arsenal lead by minutes only with Alexis Sanchez.
5. India’s Chadalavada Anandha Sundhararaman Bhavani Devi has become first Indian to win a Gold Medal in an International fencing tournament.
In the final, she defeated Sarah Jane Hampson of Great Britain.
6. Lionel Messi has won the European Golden Shoe for fourth time, drawing level with Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo.
Messi previously won the award in 2010, 2012 and 2013.
7. ESPN has revealed the names of top 100 most famous athletes based on the combine endorsements with social media following and internet search popularity.
4 Indians have found a place in this elite and prestigious list – Virat Kohli (13), Mahendra Singh Dhoni (15), Yuvraj (90), and Raina (95).
8. Indian Cricketer Virat Kohli becomes the only cricketer to get featured in the top 10 of the ICC Players Rankings for One Day International (ODI).
The top three batsmen featured in the ICC ODI Rankings are South Africa’s De Villiers (874 rating points), Australia’s David Warner (871 rating points) and Kohli (852 rating points).
9. Google on 1st June 2017 marked the beginning of the eight-nation ICC Champions Trophy 2017 with an addictive doodle game.
The opening match was played between the hosts England and Bangladesh.
India’s first match in the tournament was with Pakistan on 4th June at Edgbaston.
10. India’s Manika Batra and Mouma Das becomes the first Indian pair to reach the quarterfinals of the World Table Tennis Championships held in Dusseldorf.
The next world TT championships will be held in Budapest in the year 2019.
The duo will now take on the No. 1 and 2 Chinese players, Ding Ning and Liu Shiwen in an upcoming match.
11. The West Indies cricket team has been officially renamed as ‘WINDIES’.
The West Indies Cricket Board has rebranded itself as ‘Cricket West Indies’ on its 90th anniversary.
12. Indian shuttler B Sai Praneeth lifted his maiden Grand Prix Gold title by defeating Indonesian Jonatan Christie in the men’s singles final of the Thailand Open.
This is Praneeth’s second consecutive title win, following the Singapore Open victory.
13. Top seed Ramkumar Ramanathan defeated second seed Raymond Sarmiento of the U.S. 6-2, 6-2 in the final of the USD 15,000 ITF men’s Futures tennis tournament in Singapore.
It was the first title of the season and 15th of his career for Ramkumar.
14. Real Madrid clinched UEFA title, beating Juventus 4-1 in a scintillating final in Cardiff, Wales.
Cristiano Ronaldo scored a pair of goals for Real – his 11th and 12th of the competition.
15. Indian wild card Nitin Kumar Sinha defeated Malaysian player Christian Didier Chin to win the boys singles title of HCL Asian Junior Tennis Championship.
In girls’ singles final, second seed Mihika Yadav defeated top seed Mahak Jain in straight sets 6-3, 6-3.
16. Rohan Bopanna won his Grand Slam title along with his Canadian partner Gabriela Dabrowski by winning the French Open mixed doubles trophy.
He has become the fourth Indian to clinch a major title.
17.Three Indian male shuttlers – Ajay Jayaram, Kidambi Srikanth and B Sai Praneeth – were in the top 15 of the latest Badminton World Federation Rankings released
Ajay Jayaram, Kidambi Srikanth and B Sai Praneeth occupied 13th, 14th and 15th spot respectively.
18. Sri Lankan cricketer Muttiah Muralitharan was admitted into the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) Hall of Fame.
He was awarded the honor along with Arthur Morris, George Lohmann and Karen Rolton by fellow ICC Cricket Hall of Famers and members of the media.
19. The International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) Executive Board added 15 new events for the 2020 Olympics to be held in Tokyo.
Tokyo Games would include 321 events, which is an increase from 306 events held at Rio 2016.
20. The 2017 French Open was held from 28th May to 11th June 2017 at a Roland Garros Stadium, Paris, France. Here is the list of winners to the tournament.
|Category||Name of the Winner|
|Men’s Single’s||Rafael Nadal (Spain)|
|Women’s Single||Jelena Ostapenko (Latvia)|
|Men’s Doubles||Michael Venus (New Zealand)-Ryan Harrison (United States)|
|Women’s Doubles||Bethanie Mattek-Sands (United States) / Luice Safarova (Czech Republic)|
|Mixed Doubles||Gabriela Dabrowski (Canada) / Rohan Bopanna (India)|
21. England won the FIFA under-20 World Cup final at Suwon World Cup Stadium by defeating Venezuela team.
22. Lewis Hamilton has won Canadian Grand Prix by defeating Valtteri Bottas in the finals.
Sebastian Vettel finished at the fourth
23. Indian shooting pair of Jitu Rai and Heena Sidhu outclassed their Russian counterparts by 7-6 in the mixed team air pistol final event to win a gold medal at the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Cup in Azerbaijan.
24. Rafael Nadal has increased his rankings by two spots to stand at No.2 in the ATP rankings which is his highest since October 2014.
Men’s Tennis ATP Current Rankings: -
First Rank: Andy Murray (Great Britain)
Second Rank: Rafael Nadal (Spain)
Third Rank: Stan Wawrinka (Switzerland)
Fourth Rank: Novak Djokovic (Serbia & Montenegro)
Fifth Rank: Roger Federer (Switzerland)
25. Shashikant Kutwal, a railway employee with Pune Division, has won the gold medal at the 17th World Individual Chess Championship for differently-abled, held in Slovakia from May 27 to June 6, 2017.
26. According to the latest MRF Tyres ICC ODI Player Rankings, Indian captain Virat Kohli reclaimed the world number one position.
The Top 5 ICC ODI Batting Rankings are:
First Place: Virat Kohli (India).
Second Place: David Warner (Australia).
Third Place: AB de Villiers (South Africa).
Fouth Place: Joe Root (England).
Fifth Place: Kane Williamson (New Zealand).
27. Yuvraj Singh became the Fifth Indian cricket player to feature in 300 One Day Internationals (ODI).
28. India’s Skipper Virat Kohli created a record by becoming the quickest batsman to score 8000 runs in One-Day International Cricket (ODI).
He defeated South Africa’s AB de Villiers record by seven fewer innings.
29. Pakistan defeated India by 180 runs to win the International Cricket Council (ICC) Champions Trophy 2017 final.
Pakistan won by 180 runs to take their first global 50-over title since 1992.
Fakhar Zaman was declared Man of the Match.
Hassan Ali was declared Man of the Tournament.
30. International Cricket Council has decided not to host the 2018 World T20 Championship due to a cramped schedule and lack of sponsors’ interest.
India will host the next ICC Champions Trophy in 2021.
31. India’s Kidambi Srikanth won the Indonesia Open Super Series badminton title at Jakarta.
He defeated Japan Kazumasa Sakai.
32. Sarfraz Ahmed of Pakistan named Captain of ICC Team of Champions Trophy.
Virat Kohli along with three Indians were named in the ICC Team of the Champions Trophy 2017.
India opener Shikhar Dhawan and Pakistan’s Hassan Ali had already won the Golden Bat and Gold Ball trophies for finishing as the most successful batsman and bowler respectively
Bhuvneshwar Kumar also secured a position in the list.
33. India won six medals in the Wushu competition of the first ever Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa (BRICS) Games concluded in Guangzhou, China.
The medals comprised two each in gold, silver, and bronze.
Gyandas and Anjul Namdev won one gold each.
34. The Iranian wrestlers won 7 medals (three gold, two Silver, and two bronze) and 69 points to win the Junior Asian Championships title.
Uzbekistan won 67 points to rank second in the Wrestlers list.
India won gold in the women’s 51kg freestyle category through Puja.
35. Anil Kumble has stepped down as head coach of India’s men’s team from the upcoming series against West Indies.
36. New Zealand wicketkeeper Luke Ronchi announced his retirement from international cricket after taking part in the ICC Champions Trophy 2017.
37. Ireland and Afghanistan have been granted Test status by the International Cricket Council.
It increases the number of countries competing at the top level of international cricket to 12.
38. Former Indian powerlifter and South Asian Games gold medal winner, Kavita Devi becomes the first Indian woman to appear in WWE.
She has been selected to compete in the Mae Young Classic which is the first-ever WWE tournament for women.
39. Kuldeep Yadav became the first male Chinaman bowler to represent India in ODIs, making his debut in the first ODI against West Indies.
Yadav, who made his Test debut against Australia in March this year, is the 217th ODI cricketer to represent India.
40. Badminton Australian Open Summit
Winner is Kidambi Srikanth from Guntur, Andhra Pradesh (The World No.11).
41. Junior World Rifle/Pistol Championship held in Germany
Gold Medalists Yashaswini Singh Deswal (Women’s 10m Air Pistol Competition) & Anish Bhanwala (Men’s 25m Standard Pistol Competition).
42. 4,900-km Race Across America (RAAM)
First Indians to Complete RAAM in the solo 18-59 Age Category are – Nashik’s Army doctor Srinivas Gokulnath and Nagpur’s doctor Amit Samarth.
43. Ulaanbaatar Cup Boxing Tournament – Ankush Dahiya (Gold Medalist) & L Devendro Singh (Silver Medalist).
Awards & Recognition
1. The 70th annual Cannes Film Festival took place from 17th to 28th May 2017 in Cannes, France. Here is the list of winners.
|Caméra d’Or (best first feature)||Jeune Femme|
|Best short film||A Gentle Night|
|Best actress||Diane Kruger|
|Best actor||Joaquin Phoenix|
|Best director||Sofia Coppola|
|Grand Prix||120 Beats per Minute|
|70th Anniversary prize||Nicole Kidman|
|Palme d’Or||The Square|
2. The Manipur government has declared Dailong village of Tamenglong district as a Biodiversity Heritage Site of the state.
Dialong village, covering an area of 11.35 sq km, has been declared Heritage Site under Section 37(1) of Biological Diversity Act, 2002.
3. Padmalaya Nanda from Odisha represented India at the Little Miss Universe beauty representation held in Georgia, the US from 31st May to 6th June 2017.
She has also been nominated to represent India at the Little Miss World contest in Greece.
4. Three well-known artists from Odisha to get Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards in their respective fields.
Odissi dance Guru Ratikant Mohapatra, playwright and director Satyabrata Rout and Pala artist Laxmidhar Rout have been selected for the award.
5. Uttarakhand Mountaineer Border Security Force (BSF) Love Raj Singh Dharmshaktu become the first Indian to summit Mount Everest a record six times.
He is a Padma Shri awardee and works as an assistant commandant with the BSF in Dehradun.
6. Priyanka Chopra will receive the prestigious Dadasaheb Phalke Academy Award in a new category that has been introduced by the jury – the ‘International Acclaimed Actress Award‘.
She will be the first recipient of this award.
Priyanka’s mother Madhu Chopra too will be honoured with Dadasaheb Phalke Award in the Best Film category for her maiden production, ‘Ventilator’.
7. Residents of Vadodara created a new Guinness world record with maximum number of people sweeping the ‘floor’ (single venue).
Around 5,058 people came together to sweep the venue – a bridge connecting Akota with Dandia bazaar which is spread over one kilometre.
8. HolidayIQ has awarded Lake Pichola as the best natural attraction in India at a Tourism Award Ceremony held at Hotel Taj Man Singh in New Delhi.
Lake Pichola was honored with the title “India’s Favorite Natural Attraction HolidayIQ Award”.
9. Dr. Sunil Kothari has been selected for the coveted Akademi Ratna award by the Sangeet Natak Akademi.
He was instrumental in starting the School of Arts and Aesthetics at Jawaharlal Nehru University where he was appointed as the first professor.
10. Pranab Mukherjee presented the Hindi Sevi Samman Awards to 26 eminent Hindi scholars for the year 2015 at a function held at Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi.
The awards were conferred to the scholars under 12 different categories for their contribution in the field of Hindi language and literature.
11. Union Health Minister J. P. Nadda has been honoured by the World Health Organisation with the Director General’s Special Recognition Award for his leadership and commitment to advancing tobacco control.
Health ministers of Maldives and Bhutan were also among five individuals and institutions from the WHO South-East Asia Region for this year’s World No-Tobacco Day Award.
12. Indian American author Jhumpa Lahiri has been announced as the recipient of the 2017 PEN/Malamud Award for Excellence in the Short Story.
She is the author of four widely acclaimed works of fiction: “Interpreter of Maladies,” “The Namesake,” “Unaccustomed Earth,” and “The Lowland”; and two works of nonfiction: “In Other Words” and “The Clothing of Books.”
13. Tata Motors was awarded ‘HR Innovation of the Year’, for its significant contribution to skill development in the automotive sector at the Asia-Pacific Excellence Awards held in Hong Kong.
All skill development initiatives by Tata Motors are designed and implemented in line with the Global Skill Qualification framework and Occupational Standards.
14. Kapil Sharma has been chosen for the prestigious Dadasaheb Phalke award 2017 along with the other celebrities.
Earlier also Kapil for his extraordinary comedy skills was awarded with this award in 2014.
15. Dr. Sushil Kumar Sharma renowned cardiologist has been awarded with the Double Helical National Health Award in the category of Excellence in delivery of Cardiology Services across the state.
He is credited with the establishment of Intervention Programme in GMC, Jammu, and performed more than 10,000 simple and complex procedures.
16. A 12-year-old Californian student, Ananya Vinay, won the 90th Scripps National Spelling Bee competition.
The competition was held in Washington’s Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center.
17. Raveena Tandon was honoured with the Best Critic award by the Dadasaheb Phalke Academy.
She was awarded the role of an avenging mother in the film ‘Maatr’.
18. National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) has received Asia Pacific Quality Network Award 2017 for International Co-operation in Quality Assurance.
APQN Quality Award is among the most prestigious International Awards in quality assurance of higher education.
19. BJP leader and Chandigarh MP Kirron Kher released the stamp on noted playwright and theatre director late Balwant Gargi.
Gargi was the founder-director of the Indian Theatre Department, Panjab University, Chandigarh.
20. Filmmaker Madhur Bhandarkar was conferred with the Bharat Gaurav Award by the NRI community at an award function held on 9th June in New York.
He already has the National Awards for Best Feature Film and Best Director for Page 3 and Traffic Signal respectively.
21. The Ministry of Rural Development has selected Vizianagaram as one among the 17 districts for MGNREGA annual award.
The award will be given to Vizianagaram for its effective implementation of MNREGA Act during the time period 2015-16.
22. Sachin Tendulkar joins a roster of global celebrities, including David Beckham and Novak Djokovic, for a special UNICEF Super Dads Campaign.
The initiative is aimed at celebrating fatherhood and highlights the importance of love, play, protection and good nutrition for the healthy development of the brains of the young children.
23. Popular writer Anand Neelakantan, Odia poet Haraprasad Das and author Paramita Satpathy were announced winners of the Kalinga Literary Awards.
The Kalinga International Literary Award, Kalinga Literary Youth Award and Kalinga Karubaki Award will be conferred upon Neelakantan, Das and Satpathy respectively.
24. NASA has selected 12 new astronauts including an Indian-American, Lt Col Raja Grinder Chari, from 18000 applications.
He is a commander of the 461st Flight Test Squadron as well as the director of the F-35 Integrated Test Force at Edwards Air Force Base in California.
25. Sahithi Pingali, a class 12 student from Bangalore’s Inventure Academy, joins an elite group of people having their names named after stars in the Milky Way Galaxy.
She won the Gold Medal for her research on ‘An Innovative Crowdsourcing Approach to Monitoring Freshwater Bodies’ which was based on city lakes.
26. Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare J P Nadda has been conferred the WHO Director-General’s Special Recognition Award for global tobacco control.
The award was presented to him by Dr. Poonam Khetrapal Singh, Regional Director, WHO South-East Asia.
27. The 22nd European Union Film Festival (EUFF) kicked off in New Delhi which will screen 22 films from 22 European countries at Siri Fort Auditorium.
The aim of the event is to improve cultural ties between India and European countries.
The inaugural session of the film festival opened with Estonian film Cherry Tobacco.
28. Indian cricket team captain Virat Kohli has been ranked 89th in the Forbes List of World’s 100 highest paid athletes with a total pay of $ 22 million.
The list has been topped by Ronaldo with a total pay of 93 million dollars.
29. Jeje Lalpekhlua received the All India Football Federation’s inaugural player of the year 2016 award.
Sasmita Malik was adjudged the 2016 AIFF Women’s player of the year.
Sunil Chettri received a Special Award for surpassing the milestone over the last year. Chhetri also won the Hero of the I-League award.
30. Bengali actor, Soumitra Chatterjee conferred with the France’s highest civilian honor, the Legion of Honour.
The award will be presented by the Ambassador of France to India Alexandre Ziegler.
31. Dr. Sudam Kate received the prestigious “2017 Sickle Cell Advocate of the Year” award and became the first Indian to receive this International award.
32. 12-year-old Padmalaya Nanda from Odisha has bagged the “Little Miss Universe Internet 2017” and “Little Miss Actress” crowns at the Little Miss Universe 2017 at port city of Batumi in Georgia.
She will now participate in the “Little Miss World 2017″ competition that will be held at Greece from Sept 25th Sept to 1st Oct 2017.
33. Indian superstars Shahrukh Khan, Salman Khan and Akshay Kumar are among Forbes’ annual list of the Highest-Paid Celebrities in the world.
34. NASA posthumously awarded the Exceptional Public Service Medal to Michael A’Hearn.
The NASA Medal is for the fundamental work on comets and small bodies of the solar system, leadership in space missions, and ensuring public access to data from NASA missions and related projects.
35. Israeli author David Grossman has won the Man Booker International Prize for his novel A Horse Walks into a Bar.
The award has a prize of 50,000 pounds ($64,000) that is split evenly between Grossman and translator Jessica Cohen.
36. The Fifth Bhupen Hazarika National Award 2017 awarded to an eminent writer from Arunachal Pradesh Yeshe Dorjee Thongshi.
This award is presented to honour whose outstanding literary work at National and International level.
37. Bollywood superstar Salman Khan’s ‘Sultan’ has been lined up for a showcase at the 20th Shanghai International Film Festival.
38. Indian-American filmmaker Mira Nair won the Dorothy Arzner Directors Award for the film Queen of Katwe at this year’s Women In Film Crystal + Lucy Awards.
Elizabeth Banks won the Crystal Award for Excellence in Film and Tracee Ellis Ross won the Lucy Award for Excellence in Television.
39. R. Madhavan and Ritika Singh’s Irudhi Suttru, the Tamil version of Hindi film Saala Khadoss, has walked away with three honours at 64th Jio Filmfare South Awards. The name of few of the winners are listed below.
Best Film SR Prabhu Joker.
Best Director: Sudha K Prasad for Irudhi Suttru.
Best Supporting Actor (Male): Samuthirakani Visaaranai.
Best Supporting Actor (Female): Sai Dhanshika Kabali.
40. Ferrari’s 3.9-litre V8 from the 488 GTB has won the 2017 International Engine of the Year award for the second consecutive year.
41. Indian agricultural microbiologist Shrihari Chandraghatgi conferred the Ministry of Environment Award for 2017 in Japan.
42. Anti-hunger activist Ankit Kawatra, who has been committed to solving hunger and malnutrition in India, is all set to receive the prestigious Queen’s Young Leaders Award with 60 others from all 53 Commonwealth countries.
He will be honoured by Queen Elizabeth II at a ceremony to be held in the Buckingham Palace on 29th June.
43. Angolan writer Jose Eduardo Agualusa has been awarded International Dublin Literary Award for his 14th novel, A General Theory of Oblivion, translated into English by Daniel Hahn.
44. Two Konkani literary personalities – Vincy Quadros and Amey Naik from Goa have been chosen for awards by the country’s highest literary body – the Sahitya Akademi.
Vincy Quadros is awarded Sahitya Akademi’s Bal Sahitya Puraskar for his book ‘Jaduche Petul’ for children in Konkani.
Amey Naik has been selected for Yuva Puraskar 2017 for his Konkani poetry collection ‘Mog Dot Com’.
45. West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee received the highest prize in United Nations Public Service Award for the State Government’s Kanyashree Prakalpa (Girl Child) scheme in The Hague, Netherlands.
West Bengal has been awarded in the Asia-Pacific group for the category is ‘Reaching the Poorest and Most Vulnerable through Inclusive Services and Participation’.
46. Nisha Dutt, CEO of Intellecap has become the first Indian woman leader to have been honoured with the Social Entrepreneur of the Year award at the 7th Asian Awards in London.
Nisha Dutt has been honoured in recognition of her work in making Intellecap a globally known enterprise that focuses on social capital.
47. Azim Premji honoured with Carnegie Medal of Philanthropy for his efforts to reform India’s public-school system.
He was among the nine philanthropists named recipients of the 2017 Carnegie Medal of Philanthropy in recognition of their outstanding and innovative leadership in philanthropy.
48. World’s Second Highest Ranking Green Building - SIERRA ODC Building.
49. Queen’s Young Leaders Award 2017 Winner - Anti-Hunger Activist Ankit Kawatra.
50. Miss India 2017 - Manushi Chhillar from Haryana.
51. To be winner of Bharat Gaurav Award - Former Indian Hockey Captain Dhanraj Pillay.
52. Social Progress Index 2017 – India Ranks 93rd among 128.
53. World Book Capital for 2019 (UNESCO) – Sharjah.
Sharjah was chosen for its efforts to make books accessible to its entire population.
Books & Authors
1. President of India Pranab Mukherjee has recently received the first copies of two books; Color Atlas of Oral implants and Conservative Dentistry – Basics.
The color atlas, authored by Dr. Praful Bali and Dr. Lanka Mahesh focuses on advanced procedures performed by the authors in the field of dental implantology.
The other book titled Conservative dentistry – Basics, authored by Dr. Dildeep Bali and Dr. Deepika Chandhok focuses on the basic fundamentals of the subject.
2. Beren and Luthien, a book by Lord of the Rings author John Ronald Reuel Tolkien (JRR Tolkien) was published 100 years after it was first conceived.
The book was published by HarperCollins on the 10th anniversary of the last Middle Earth book ‘The Children of Hurin’.
3. The President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee received the first copies of book Lalan Shah Fakir Ke Geet and DVD of selected songs of Lalan Shah Fakir at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
The book was written by Prof. Muchkund Dubey.
4. Arundhati Roy’s second novel The Ministry of Utmost Happiness was launched after a gap of 20 year years from her debut The God of Small Things.
She became the first Indian woman to win the prestigious Booker Prize for her first novel The God of Small Things.
5. The book “Indira Gandhi – A life in Nature” was launched by Congress president Sonia Gandhi at the Indira Gandhi Memorial, authored by former Union minister Jairam Ramesh.
The book would be made available in a number of languages including Hindi, Malayalam, Kannada and some others.
6. Former Uttarakhand chief minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank, book titled ‘Yug Purush, Bharat Ratna, Atal Ji’ will be released officially.
The first copy of the book on the social and political life of Vajpayee was presented to our President Pranab Mukherjee.
Mergers & Acquisitions
1. Bharti Airtel has stated that it has got approvals from the SEBI for the proposed scheme of merger with Telenor (India) Communications Private Ltd.
The merger will transfer all of Telenor India’s assets and customers and thus augmenting Airtel’s overall customer base and network.
2. Reliance Communications merged wireless company with Aircel will be called Aircom.
RCom can monetize 49 percent tower co stake in future though sale or a listing process.
3. Mumbai Metro One Pvt Ltd (MMOPL)announced a tie-up with Google Maps to provide details and information about the service.
The tie-up will provide people authentic timetable and associated geographic details on all the Metro stations on the Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar route.
4. The proposed merger between Aadhar Housing Finance and Dewan Housing Finance Limited (DHFL) Vyasa got the approval from housing finance regulator National Housing Bank (NHB).
Both the companies are owned by Wadhawan family promoted Wadhawan Global Capital Pvt Limited.
5. Canara Bank has inked pact with the state-owned general insurer New India Assurance Co to sell policies through its branches.
The tie-up will offer personal products such as motor insurance, home insurance, health insurance, travel insurance besides commercial policy coverages like fire insurance, marine insurance and engineering insurance.
6. Verizon completed its acquisition of Yahoo in a deal worth $4.48 billion (nearly Rs. 29,000 crore).
Yahoo Internet operations will be now integrated into a new unit called Oath, which also includes brands like AOL and Huffington Post.
The new unit will be overseen by former AOL CEO Tim Armstrong.
7. Yes Bank has partnered with mobile payments switch TerraPay to enable real time money transfer to bank accounts in India.
The partnership will make it faster and convenient for consumers to send money to any bank account.
8. Amazon will acquire Whole Foods Market for $42 per share in an all-cash transaction valued at approximately $13.7 billion, including Whole Foods Market’s net debt.
9. Messaging app Hike partnered with YES Bank to allow its users to transfer money, recharge and pay mobile bills through the messaging platform.
Hike improved the user interface as well as added new features to the camera on the app.
It will allow free and instant bank-to-bank transfer via unified payments interface (UPI).
10. IDBI Federal Life Insurance has partnered with SunTec Company.
Under the agreement, for the debit tax mandate SunTec will help in analyzing data from various sources for computation and invoicing purposes.
11. Axis Bank in association with Kochi Metro Rail Corporation (KMRL) has launched KMRL Axis Bank ‘Kochi1’ Card.
It becomes India’s first open loop EMV contactless metro card that would make travel a convenient and hassle -free experience for commuters in Kochi.
12. Apple acquires Senso Motoric Instruments (SMI).
SMI is an eye tracking company.
13. Aegon Ilkley Challenger Trophy Winner - Tennis Star Leander Paes.
Appointments & Resignations
1. Ms. Vani Sarraju Rao has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Finland.
She is presently working as a Joint Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs.
2. Manipur Governor and former minority affairs minister Najma Heptulla has been appointed as the chancellor of Jamia Millia Islamia for a term of five years.
She is the first woman chancellor of the university since its establishment in 1920.
3. Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi has appointed a renowned social and educational activist George Kurian as Vice-Chairman of National Commission for Minorities (NMC).
The other appointed members of the NMC are social activist Syed Ghayorul Hasan Rizvi (Chairman), Sulekha Kumbhare, Jain representative Sunil Singhi and Vada Dasturji Khurshed Kaikobad Dastoor.
4. Former Allahabad Bank chairperson and MD Shubhalaxmi Panse and private equity veteran Pradip Shah have been appointed as a member of Banks Board of Bureau.
Banks Board of Bureau is headed by Vinod Rai.
5. The UN General Assembly elected Slovak foreign minister Miroslav Lajcak to be the next president of the 193-member powerful body.
Lajcak was elected by acclamation as president of the 72nd session of the UN General Assembly.
6. Economic Affairs Secretary Shaktikanta Das retired after serving the government for 37 years in various capacities.
After Das’s retirement, Corporate Affairs Secretary Tapan Ray has taken additional charge as the Economic Affairs Secretary.
7. Ramachandra Guha, appointed by the Supreme Court as one of the four administrators of BCCI resigned from the post due to personal reasons.
Historian Ramachandra Guha was a member of the Committee of Administrators (COA).
8. India’s Dhanraj Choudhary who represents Asia in the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF), has been re-elected as Board of Director (BoD) for another four years along with other continental representatives.
He will serve his second successive term as BoD at the ITTF.
9. Aleksandar Vucic has been sworn in as Serbia’s new president, promising to work for peace and stability in the war-weary Balkans while strengthening the country’s armed forces.
Vucic formally stepped down from his prime minister’s post and took over his new role after his win in April’s election.
10. Nirupama Rao appointed as the Public Policy Fellow at a top American think tank based in Washington.
She was the former Indian Ambassador to the United States.
11. Indian Oil Corporation Ltd (IOCL) has appointed Sanjiv Singh as the new chairman of the company with immediate effect.
He will be replacing B. Ashok.
12. Karnataka Home Minister G. Parameshwara resigned from the post following the Congress leadership’s decision to continue with him as the party’s state unit chief ahead of the 2018 Assembly polls.
He is also the State Congress Committee chief.
13. Reserve Bank of India appointed S. Ganesh Kumar as Executive Director.
He will look after Department of Information Technology, Department of Payment and Settlement Systems and Department of External Investments and Operations.
14. Citi Bank announced the appointment of Shinjini Kumar as Consumer Business Manager of Global Consumer Banking in India.
She will take up the position at Citi India from June 24.
15. Shashi Shekar Vempati appointed as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Prasar Bharati for a period of five years.
Vempati is currently serving as a Member (part time) of the Prasar Bharati Board.
16. Ireland’s Fine Gael party has elected a Leo Varadkar as prime minister of Ireland.
He will succeed Enda Kenny and will become the first gay prime minister.
17. Ganeshan Neelakanta Iyer has become the first Indian to be nominated as a member of the Umpires and Referees Committee (URC) by International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF).
He will serve for a term of two years which is further extendable.
18. Mr. Param Jit Mann has been appointed as the India’s next Ambassador to Slovenia.
He is an Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer of the 1987 batch and presently Ambassador of India to the Slovak Republic,
19. Dr. Sharad Kumar Jain has assumed the additional charge of Director General, National Water Development Agency (NWDA) under Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation.
He will succeed Shri S. Masood Husain who has moved over as Member (WP&P), Central Water Commission.
20. Sher Bahadur Deuba has been elected as Nepal’s Prime Minister for the fourth time.
Deuba managed to secure 388 votes in the 593 strong Parliament in order to prove his majority.
21. Bollywood actress Dia Mirza was appointed a brand ambassador for the Wildlife Trust of India (WTI) on World Environment Day.
22. Hoshiar Singh a 1994 batch officer of the Indian Telecom Service appointed as Registrar of Copyrights.
His period of five years as per the recent order issued by the Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT).
23. K G Karmakar and Gauri Shankar are appointed as Independent Directors of India Post Payments Bank (IPPB).
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved their appointment to the post on the board of directors of the bank for a period of three years.
24. Lakshmi Vilas Bank (LVB) appointed B K Manjunath as a Part-time chairman for three years.
Manjunath is a member of Institute of Chartered Accountants of India and a practicing charted accountant for the last 25 years.
25. SEBI has granted conditional approval for the appointment of Vikram Limaye as the MD and CEO of the NSE.
However, SEBI had not cleared his appointment as he was also present in the Supreme Court appointed four-member panel managing the affairs of BCCI.
26. Preet Kaur Gill has become the first Sikh to be elected to the British Parliament’s House of Commons.
Similarly, Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi has become the first turban-wearing Sikh to be elected to the House of Commons.
27. Amit Sinha appointed as the Chief Operating Officer of Paytm Mall.
He will be responsible for overall operations of Paytm Mall and expand the team to ensure customers to have access to the widest assortment of products.
28. Ramanathan Ramanan, senior vice president at TCS, has been appointed as mission director of Atal Innovation Mission, under NITI Aayog as additional secretary.
29. The Union Government appointed ambassadors to three European countries, Italy, Denmark and Belgium.
Gaitri Issar Kumar – India’s next ambassador to Belgium.
Reenat Sandhu – Head of India’s diplomatic mission in Italy.
Ajit Vinayak Gupte – Ambassador to Denmark.
30. Law expert Neeru Chadha has been elected to the International Tribunal for the Law of the Seas (ITLOS).
She has become the first Indian woman to be appointed as a judge at the ITLOS.
31. Tata Motors appointed Girish Wagh as the head of its Commercial Vehicle Business Unit.
He will replace Ravindra Pisharody, Executive Director (Commercial Vehicles).
32. Leo Varadkar, first Indian-origin premier was elected Irish Prime Minister.
He took over Enda Kenny, Former Prime Minister of Irish.
33. Congress MLA Ajaib Singh Bhatti was unanimously elected as the Deputy Speaker of Punjab Legislative Assembly.
34. EazyDiner appointed cricketer Yuvraj Singh as Global Brand Ambassador.
EazyDiner is an online restaurant reservation platform.
EazyDiner is currently existing in Delhi NCR, Mumbai, Bengaluru, Kolkata, Pune, Chennai, Ahmedabad and Goa in India and Dubai.
35. The government has appointed Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan to promote Goods and Services Tax (GST) which is scheduled to implement from 1st July 2017.
The Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) will be making Bachchan the brand ambassador for GST.
36. Bihar Governor Ram Nath Kovind has resigned from the gubernatorial post.
The resignation follows his nomination as the National Democratic Alliance’s presidential candidate.
37. UNICEF appointed Muzoon Almellehan as Goodwill Ambassador for Refugees.
She is the first person with an official refugee status to become an Ambassador for the United Nations agency.
38. Rajiv Gauba, currently Union Urban Development Secretary, will be the next Home Secretary.
The 1982-cadre IAS officer will succeed Rajiv Mehrishi, whose tenure ends on 30th August 2017.
39. Manappuram Finance announced the appointment of Jeevandas Narayan as the Managing Director.
Subhash Samant as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of its fully-owned home loans subsidiary, Manappuram Home Finance.
40. Indian-origin doctor Kailash Chand in the UK has been appointed as honorary vice-president of the country’s prominent medical body.
He has been associated with the British Medical Association (BMA), for nearly 25 years.
41. Ayurveda physician ‘Vaidya’ Rajesh Kotecha appointed as special secretary in Ayush Ministry.
Vaidya (meaning physician) Kotecha is the chief consultant of Chakrapani Ayurveda Clinic, Jaipur.
42. Kenneth I. Juster is set to become America’s new Ambassador to India.
He is the Deputy Assistant to the United States President for International Economic Affairs and Deputy Director of his National Economic Council.
43. Russian diplomat Vladimir Voronkov was appointed as United Nations first counter-terrorism chief.
Voronkov will hold the title of under-secretary-general.
44. Subhash C. Garg has been appointed as Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs, Finance Ministry.
He will take over from Rajiv Maharishi on 30th August 2017. Until then Rajiv Gauba will serve as Officer on Special Duty in the Home Ministry.
45. Travis Kalanick, the Chief Executive Officer of Uber announced his resignation from the post.
Kalanick reportedly took the hard decision after a group of major Uber investors demanded his immediate resignation.
46. Imran Khawaja appointed as International Cricket Council (ICC) as Deputy Chairman.
He is a senior lawyer and serving in the ICC Board for several years.
47. ICHR’s member secretary Anand Shanker Singh resigned from the post citing personal reasons.
He was vice-president of the Uttar Pradesh chapter of RSS-backed Akhila Bharatiya Itihasa Sankalana Yojana (ABISY) and principal of Iswar Saran Degree College in Allahabad.
48. President of International Economic Association – Kaushik Basu.
49. New Member of UPSC - Dr Manoj Soni.
50. US Ambassador to Peru – Krishna R Urs (An Indian-American)
51. President of Indian International Centre (IIC) - Jammu and Kashmir Governor N N Vohra.
52. Ambassador for Government’s Skill India Campaign – Priyanka Chopra.
53. Ambassador of Indian Film Festival of Melbourne – Vidya Balan.
54. Next Ambassador of India to Greece – Shamma Jain.
55. New CEO & MD of Larsen & Toubro - SN Subrahmanyan.
56. Prime Minister of Romania – Mihai Tudose (Outgoing Economy Minister)
Economics & Banking GK
1. The Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) become the country’s most profitable state-owned company with net profit to Rs. 19,106.40 crores in the financial year ended March 31, 2017.
Reliance Industries retained the crown of being India’s most profitable private company for the third year in a row, posting a net Rs. 29,901 crore in financial year 2016-17.
2. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will observe financial literacy week from 5th-9th June 2017 across the country.
It will focus on four broad themes; know your customer (KYC), Exercising Credit Discipline, Grievance Redressal and Going Digital (UPI and *99#).
3. Union Minister Bandaru Dattatreya announced Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) will invest Rs. 20,000 exchange traded funds in the financial year 2017-2018.
Earlier EPFO had approved a hike in investment limit in exchange traded funds to 15 percent from 10 percent.
4. State Bank of India (SBI), Bank of Maharashtra and Canara Bank have hiked charges for several services provided to customers.
These include increase in charges for chequebook issuance, signature verification, cash handling charges, withdrawals beyond stipulated numbers and card issuance charges.
5. Export-Import Bank of India (Exim India) has extended a $500 million line-of-credit (LoC) to SBM (Mauritius) Infrastructure Company Ltd.
This LoC has been extended for financing its participation through Redeemable Preference Shares in public sector entities to implement infrastructure of other projects in Mauritius.
6. The Reserve Bank of India will soon introduce currency notes of one rupee denomination.
The notes, which have already been printed by the Government of India, are legal tender under the Coinage Act, 2011.
7. RBI deputy governor S.S. Mundra pushed banks to allow customers to move seamlessly between banks without having to change their account numbers.
He also said the central bank would soon come out with final guidelines on customer protection to limit their liability in case of fraud in electronic banking transactions.
8. The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Punjab National Bank (PNB) signed a $100 million loan, to be guaranteed by the Government of India.
The loan signed will finance large solar rooftop systems on industrial and commercial buildings throughout India.
9. According to Moody’s Investors Service, India’s economic growth will accelerate to 7.5 percent in the current fiscal and the government’s reform push will help achieve 8 per cent GDP growth rate in about four years.
Indian economy grew 7.1 per cent in 2016-17 fiscal.
10. An agreement for IBRD Credit of USD 36 Million from World Bank for “Himachal Pradesh Public Financial Management Capacity Building Program” was signed in New Delhi.
The objective of the project is to improve the efficiency of Public Expenditure Management and Tax Administration in Himachal Pradesh.
11. India lost its fastest-growing major economy tag in the January-March period, GDP growth coming down to 6.1 per cent compared with 7 per cent in the previous quarter.
The growth of 6.1 per cent was also lower than China’s growth in the same period which was 6.9 per cent.
12. Bank of India conducted a mass contact programme ‘Star Mahotsav’ across its branch network.
The aim was to contact every customer at their door step either for recovery of bad loans, disbursement of retail loans including housing and vehicle loan.
13. SEBI has formed a Committee on Corporate Governance under the chairmanship of Uday Kotak.
The move is aimed at improving the standards of corporate governance of listed companies.
14. State Bank of India and the World Bank announced that they had financed 100 MW of rooftop solar projects worth Rs. 400 crores in India.
SBI got a loan of $625 million from the World Bank via Grid-Connected Rooftop Solar PV (GRPV) projects undertaken by developers, aggregators, end-users, for installation of rooftop solar systems.
15. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has initiated prompt corrective action (PCA) for Dena Bank in view of high net non-performing assets and negative return on assets.
Prompt Corrective Action is the action which will not have any material impact on the performance of the bank to improve its activities.
16. The World Bank’s Global Economic Prospects (GEP) has projected a growth rate of 7.2% for India in the financial year 2017 as against 6.8% growth in 2016.
The bank in its report expects India’s growth rate to remain at 7.5% in 2018 and 7.7% in 2019.
17. Finance Minister asked other ministers to decide on FDI proposals within 60 days of the application and any rejection will need the concurrence of the DIPP.
A timeline of 4 weeks has been fixed for the transfer of all pending applications with the FIPB to the respective administrative ministries.
18. Vijaya Bank started to develop as many as 100 digital villages in various States across the country as part of its initiative to promote digital banking among the rural population.
It is the only public sector financial institution to develop digital villages with a focus on rural population.
The bank has already developed 5 villages into Digital Villages.
19. ICICI Bank commissioned over 200 solar powered ATM sites in the last one year as part of its efforts to reduce carbon footprint and use more clean energy.
This is equivalent to the amount of energy that can power 42,000 rural households for an entire year.
20. The Reserve Bank (RBI) of India in its Second Bi-monthly Monetary Policy kept its repo rate unchanged at 6.25 percent and reverse repo rate unchanged at six percent respectively.
However, the central bank lowered economic growth projection to 7.3 percent from 7.4 percent for FY18.
The apex bank cut the statutory liquidity ratio (SLR) by 50 bps to 20%.
21. HDFC Bank has introduced charges on Unified Payments Interface (UPI) that will be charged from 10th July 2017.
Transactions from Rs 1 to Rs 25,000 will be charged Rs 3 plus taxes while transactions above Rs 25,000 to Rs 1 lakh will be charged Rs 5.
22. Axis Bank Ltd has announced biodegradable prepaid gift cards on the occasion of World Environment Day.
The cards will be acceptable at all domestic merchant outlets and online portals.
23. Walmart topped the Fortune’s annual list of Americas top 500 companies for the fifth consecutive year with the revenue of $ 485.8 million.
IT based Apple with $53 billion jumps from 5 to 3 place.
Amazon.com moved from 29 to 18 place.
Walgreens jumped from 35 to 19th place.
Facebook jumped 85 to 157th place.
24. State Bank of India has cut the interest rate on home loans above Rs. 75 lakhs by 10 basis points (bps) to 8.55%-8.6%, with effect from 15th June.
The revised interest rates will be 8.55% pa (per annum) for salaried women borrowers.
For others, the rate of interest will be 8.60% pa.
25. GST Council has revised the rates of 66 items for Goods and Services Tax which will be effective from 1st July 2017.
The items include pickles, sauces, fruit preserves, insulin, cashew nuts, insulin, school bags, coloring books, notebooks, printers, cutlery, agar batties and cinema tickets, following representations from industry.
26. Central Bank of India has been placed under the RBI’s watch list on Prompt Corrective Action (PCA) owing to high bad loans and negative return on assets.
27. China-led Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has approved $150 million equity investment loan to the India Infrastructure Fund.
28. The Reserve Bank of India announced that it has issued Rs. 500 denomination notes with inset letter A, bearing the signature of Urjit R. Patel.
However, the old notes with inset letter E, will continue to remain the legal tender.
29. According to the Code Compliance Rating of banks done by the India BCSBI 2017, IDBI Bank was the only public -sector bank that got ‘high (H)’ (85 and above score out of 100) rating in two successive surveys.
30. According to Reserve Bank of India, India’s current account deficit (CAD) narrowed down to 0.7% of the GDP during 2016-17 fiscal owing to a contraction in the country’s trade deficit.
The CAD for the last fiscal narrowed from that of 1.1% in 2015-16 due to contraction in the trade deficit.
31. The government has made Aadhaar mandatory for opening bank accounts as well as for carrying out financial transactions above of Rs 50,000.
In addition, the government has asked all the existing account holders to link Aadhaar numbers to their bank accounts by December 31, 2017.
32. The Reserve Bank of India has initiated “prompt corrective action” (PCA) on state-run lender Bank of Maharashtra in the view of its high non-performing assets (NPAs).
Earlier, the RBI had initiated a PCA on Central Bank of India, IDBI Bank, Indian Overseas Bank, UCO Bank and Dena Bank.
33. The GST Council at its 17th meeting decided to increase the room tariff threshold, above which the luxury rate of 28% will apply, to Rs. 7,500 from the Rs. 5,000 decided earlier.
The Council also decided to defer the dates of filing the detailed return for July and August.
The Council decided that State-run lotteries will fall in the 12% tax bracket, while all others will be taxed at 28%.
34. RBI has directed its lead lender IDBI Bank to initiate insolvency proceedings for the company under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC).
The company is among 12 firms identified by the central bank with a combined debt of over Rs 1,50,000 crore, a quarter of the total NPAs, for proceedings under the newly enacted Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016.
35. Electronic payment and e-commerce portal, Paytm, will soon launch its payments bank on the unified payment interface to enable an easier transaction process for its customers and is reported to happen by August this year.
36. SEBI got acquisition of stressed assets of listed companies to help the Government and RBI in their efforts to tackle bad loans.
37. The government has permitted banks and post offices to deposit junked Rs. 500 and Rs 1,000 notes with the Reserve Bank by 20th July 2017.
38. State Bank of India has been authorized to refer Essar Steel Bhushan Steel and Electrosteel to the bankruptcy court raising the possibility that some of these companies could be merged to return them to health.
The three companies between them owe banks nearly Rs 1 lakh crore.
39. The Reserve Bank of India announced the names of five members of the Overseeing Committee (OC). The five members are:
Former Chief Vigilance Commissioner Pradeep Kumar who will be the Chairman.
Former State Bank of India Chairman Janki Ballabh.
Former chairman of Canara Bank MBN Rao.
Non-executive chairman of L&T Finance Holdings YM Deosthalee.
Former SEBI whole-time member S Raman.
40. Reserve Bank of India has extended the scope of Banking Ombudsman Scheme.
As per the amendment, the pecuniary jurisdiction of the Banking Ombudsman to pass an award is doubled to 20 lakh rupees.
41. Skill India Mission (Making Indian Youth more employable through Reskilling)
The World Bank passed USD 250-million loan to aid the mission.
42. The European Union’s competition watchdog fined Google a record 2.42 billion euro
For breaching the anti-trust rules by illegally favoring its shopping service. The European Commission has fined Google the biggest penalty till yet. They have asked Google to stop its Anti-Competitive Practice in 90 Days or to pay penalty for the same.
43. GST 2017 (Goods & Service Tax 2017) is all set to be launched on midnight of 30th June.
Review the Highlights of GST here – What is GST 2017 in India? Important Highlights, Facts, FAQs, & Rates.
44. India’s contribution of $ 100,000 to the UN Trust Fund for International Cooperation in Tax Matters (the UN Tax Fund).
The fund is aimed at helping the developing countries to actively participate in the discussion of tax issues.
45. The Asian Development Bank has committed USD 10 billion to support infrastructure building and to cater to the immediate development needs of less-developed States in India.
Bills – New & Amendments
1. President of Egypt Abdel Fattah el-Sisi signed into law a contentious new bill that regulates non-governmental organizations (NGO).
Under the new law, foreign non-governmental groups will have to pay up to 16500 dollars to start working in Egypt and renew their permit on a regular basis.
2. The Union Ministry of Law and Justice has cleared the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Karnataka Amendment) Bill 2017 for the Kambala.
Kambala is the traditional slush track buffalo race that is held annually in coastal districts of Karnataka to entertain rural people of the area.
3. The Union Cabinet approved the proposal to introduce a Financial Resolution and Deposit Insurance Bill 2017.
This bill will provide a comprehensive resolution framework for financial sector entities to deal with bankruptcy situation in banks, insurance companies, and other entities.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)
1. PM Narendra Modi and PM of Mauritius Pravind Kumar Jugnauth inked important agreements for the following: –
Setting up of a civil services college in Mauritius.
Marine sciences and technology.
2. India and Fiji signed an MoU on Defence Cooperation in New Delhi.
The MoU was signed on cooperation on defence industry, military training, humanitarian assistance & disaster management.
3. Government-run Prasar Bharati got into an agreement with Morocco’s Societe Nationale de Radiodiffusion et de Television (SNRT) to step up cooperation in the broadcasting sector.
The MoU was signed during the fifth India Morocco Joint Commission Meeting (JCM) in Rabat, Morocco’s capital.
4. Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF) which markets its product under the brand name ‘Amul’ has signed an MoU with ISRO for fodder acreage assessment using satellite observation and space technology.
As per the MoU, ISRO will help in identification between food crops and fodder crops at village level and locate suitable areas of current fallows and cultivable wastelands at village level for green fodder cultivation.
5. India and Germany has inked 12 agreements which include 9 joint declarations of intent (JDIs) and 3 MoUs.
The agreements are made in the fields of trade, skill development, cyber security and terrorism.
6. India and Spain have signed seven agreements during the meeting of PM Narendra Modi to Spain linked with: –
Transfer of Sentence Persons.
Cooperation in Organ Transplantation.
Cooperation in Cyber Security.
Cooperation in Renewable Energy.
Technical Cooperation in Civil Aviation.
Visa waiver for holders of diplomatic passports.
Foreign Service Institute and Diplomatic Academy of Spain.
7. India and Russia have inked 5 pacts during the visit of Prime Minister Modi to Russia for: –
Construction of the third stage of the Kudankulam NPP (KK5 & KK6) along with the Credit Protocol.
Scientific and Industrial Research.
Implementation of the high-speed service at the Nagpur-Secunderabad section.
Promotion of the Export of Precious Stones and Jewellery of India.
8. Samsung India has signed a MoU with the Ministry of Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSME).
The MoU was signed for setting up two new Samsung Technical Schools in Bengaluru and Jamshedpur as well as to renew the partnership for 10 existing schools being run across the country.
9. Bank of Baroda (BoB) has entered into a MoU with Small Farmers Agribusiness Consortium (SFAC).
Under this MoU, BoB will provide collateral free loans to Farmers Producer Companies (FPC) for which credit guarantee cover up to 85 percent of the loan amount maximum up to Rs 1 crore will be made available by SFAC.
10. The National Aviation University (NAU) signed a MoU with the Bird Worldwide Flight Services (India) Private Limited.
The aim is to develop professional aviation and aerospace education programs and research for the benefit of the Indian civil aviation industry.
11. Nepal has signed a MoU with China Gezhouba Group Corporation (CGGC) for developing a 1,200 MW Budhigandaki Hydroelectric Project, which will be the biggest hydro project in Nepal.
As per the agreement, the hydro project would be built under engineering, procurement, construction and finance (EPCF) model.
12. India signed an agreement to provide assistance of 318 million US Dollar credit line to Sri Lanka for the development of the railway sector in the country.
India already provided four Lines of Credit for the development of railway sector in Sri Lanka through its EXIM Bank amounting to approximately USD 966 million.
13. The Union Cabinet gave its approval for Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) to enter into two separate MoU with securities market regulators of the European Union and Iran.
These MoUs are expected to strengthen cooperation between India and the respective countries on matters pertaining to the securities market.
14. The Union Cabinet approved the MoU between Export-Import Bank of India (EXIM Bank) and Export-Import Bank of Korea (KEXIM) for export credit of USD 9 billion.
The MoU is aimed towards the infrastructural development in India and for the supply of goods and services as part of projects in third countries.
15. The Union Cabinet approved the signing and subsequent ratification of the agreement between India and Somalia on the transfer of sentenced persons between both the countries.
The agreement will facilitate the Indian prisoners imprisoned in Somalia or vice-versa to rejoin their respective nations.
16. The Tamil Nadu government signed a MoU with the Civil Aviation Ministry for the implementation the scheme in the presence of Chief Minister K Palaniswami.
Tamil Nadu is set to have low-cost flight services in the first phase of implementation of the Centre’s UDAN scheme which seeks to promote regional air connectivity.
17. An agreement for IBRD Credit of USD 39.2 Million from World Bank for the project “Assam Citizen Centric Service Delivery” was signed.
The objective of the project is to improve access to the delivery of selected public services in Assam.
18. India and Mauritius signed a pact to institutionalize Parliamentary Cooperation of the two countries.
The MoU was signed by Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan and Speaker of National Assembly of Mauritius Santi Bai Hanoomanjee after their meeting in Port Louis.
19. MoU between India and Palestine was approved by Union Cabinet of India to provides for cooperation in the fields of agricultural research, irrigation and climate change and several other categories.
20. Panama established formal diplomatic ties with China and broke all its relationship with Taiwan.
This move is a victory for China in its drive to isolate Taiwan from the rest of the world.
21. Indian Oil, Bharat Petroleum and Hindustan Petroleum has have signed the joint venture agreement to jointly set up the world’s largest refinery and petrochemical complex in Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra.
IOC will hold 50% stake and the HPCL and BPCL will each hold a stake of 25% each in the new complex.
22. Switzerland signed an automatic exchange of financial account information with India in order to facilitate immediate sharing of details.
The implementation of the exchange sharing agreement has been planned for 2018 and hence the first set of data is likely to be exchanged in the year 2019.
23. US based Lockheed Martin and India’s Tata Advanced Systems have signed a pact to produce F-16 fighter planes in India.
Lockheed Martin’s move to forge a joint venture with Tata is aimed at winning billions of dollars’ worth order from the Indian military.
24. Meghalaya government signed two MoUs with the State Bank of India as a part of an initiative towards migrating government transactions to digital mode.
25. The Government of India and Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed USD 275 million loans for a piped water supply project for rapidly urbanizing small towns.
It will cover 3 lakh households in 64 small towns in Madhya Pradesh.
26. India and Portugal signed a protocol of cooperation in the field of archives.
As a part of the Cooperation, National Archives of Portugal has handed over digital copies of 62 volumes of the collection known as ‘Moncoes do Reino’ (Monsoon correspondence) to the National Archives of India.
27. The Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) will sign a pact with the Housing and Urban Development Corporation (HUDCO
28. MoU between Indian & Netherland
MOU on Cultural Cooperation
MOU on Water Cooperation
Agreement on Amending Social Security Arrangement
29. Agreement between the Election Commission of India and Facebook
To launch Nation-wide Voter Registration Reminder to remind eligible Indian Voter to register themselves on the Electoral Rolls, the Election Commission of India has committed a deal with Facebook.
Science & Technology
1. ISRO launched the Heaviest Rocket called the Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle Mark III (GSLV Mk-III) on 5th June 2017.
It will help India become self-reliant for launching satellites as it would be capable of placing 4 tonnes glass geosynchronous satellite into orbit.
2. A deep depression in the Bay of Bengal has been declared intensified into a tropical cyclone named Mora.
It may help to pull monsoon faster over mainland.
This is second cyclone in the Bay of Bengal after Maarutha.
3. The construction of the world’s largest optical and infrared telescope, to be located at the Paranal Observatory in the Antofagasta region was inaugurated in Chile.
The telescope will be constructed at a 3000-meter-high mountain in the middle of the Atacama Desert.
4. India’s homegrown Global Positioning System (GPS), the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS) will become operational early in 2018.
At present, NavIC is being tested for its accuracy and is most likely to be available in the market for public use early next year.
5. According to the source, a malware which is named as ‘Judy’ has been attacked more than 3.65 crores of Android users.
This malware attacked Android users through the simple fashion and cooking game apps on the Google Play Store.
6. NASA scientists have developed a new software that will help drones automatically spot the best places to crash-land in case of an emergency, without hurting anyone on the ground.
Increasing numbers of drones in the sky raises the risk to people and property below being hit when these unmanned aerial vehicles develop mechanical problems.
7. NASA’s Parker Solar Probe launched in the summer of 2018 to explore the sun’s atmosphere.
The satellite is named as the Parker Solar Probe in honour of astrophysicist Eugene Parker.
8. Microsoft Co-founder Paul Allen announced publicly the world’s largest aircraft called ‘Stratolaunch’ with a 385-foot wingspan, capable of launching rockets.
The aircraft capable of carrying up to 250 tonnes of cargo.
9. Scientists have discovered a potentially habitable Earth-like planet named Super Earth, located just 21 light years away, that may host liquid water on its surface.
Researchers used the radial velocity technique, which involves measuring the changes in the position and velocity when the star and a planet rotating around their common centre of gravity.
10. United States for the first time has successfully tested its defence system against an Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM).
During the test, a ground based interceptor launched from the California air base had shot down a mock intercontinental ballistic missile target which was fired from the Reagan Test Site in the Marshall Islands.
11. India successfully test-fired Prithvi-II ballistic missile of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur in Odisha’s Balasore.
It has a strike range of 350 km, capable of carrying 500 kg to 1,000 kg of warheads and is thrust by liquid propulsion twin engines.
12. Defence Minister Arun Jaitley announced the second Scorpene-class submarine, INS Khanderi is ready for surface sea trial.
It has been built at Mazagon Dock Limited (MDL) in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
13. The Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) in the U.S. detected merger of two black holes.
The third Hole named GW170104 marks the detection of gravitational waves coming from a binary black hole merger.
14. Japan launched a satellite to help build a high-precision geolocation system that will complement the US operated Global Positioning System (GPS).
The rocket carrying the Michibiki No. 2 satellite, H-IIA, was launched from the Tanegashima space center in Kagoshima Prefecture, Southern Japan.
15. Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur has developed a wireless technology called AmbuSens.
It will help in wireless monitoring of various physiological conditions of patients who are ferried in ambulances.
16. India’s heaviest rocket GSLV-Mk III was launched on 5th June 2017 from Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.
It carried a 3,136-kg GSAT-19 communications satellite to an altitude of around 179 km above the Earth after just over 16 minutes into the flight.
17. NASA is all set to launch the world’s first ever mission devoted to studying neutron stars.
During the mission, NASA will also carry out the world’s first demonstration of X-ray navigation in space.
18. NASA will launch the Terrier-Improved Malemute sounding rocket into the space that will release blue-green and red artificial clouds.
The rocket will eject vapour canisters between 10 to 20 km from the rocket’s main payload.
19. Space X launched its first recycled cargo ship to the International Space Station.
An unnamed Falcon rocket lifted off from Florida’s Kennedy Space Center with a Dragon capsule that made a station delivery nearly three years ago.
20. India has successfully test-fired its first all-weather tracked-chassis Quick Reaction Surface-to-Air Missile (QR-SAM) from a mobile launcher at Integrated Test Range at Chandipur in Odisha.
The QR-SAM was jointly developed by the DRDO and Bharat Electronics Limited.
21. Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has launched three new apps Mycall app, MySpeed app and ‘Do not disturb (DND 2.0)’ to help customers rate quality of services, speed and performance.
MyCall app will help mobile phone users rate their experience about voice call quality in real time.
MySpeed app will enable TRAI to obtain test data from users in all service areas, without any action by the users.
22. The National Board of Wildlife approved Rutland Island in South Andaman to be the site for the country’s long-range missile test facility.
The project involves diversion of 49.978 acres forest land, of which 0.84 falls in the Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park and 49.138 reserve forest within 10km of the Eco Sensitive Zone.
23. A team of Astronomers discovered the hottest giant planet KELT-9b with a dayside temperature of more than 4,300 degrees Celsius.
KELT-9b is a hybrid planet-star.
It has the mass of Planet and an atmosphere like a star.
24. The world’s First Hybrid Aeroboat built by an Indo-Russian joint venture announced publicly start-ups event organized by Russia’s state-run Skolkovo Foundation.
The Aeroboat is capable of traveling on land, water, snow, and sand.
25. North Korea fired multiple cruise missiles into the waters between Korea and Japan.
The missiles that flew for about 200 km were reportedly launched from Wonsan, a city on North Korea’s east coast.
With this launch, the total number of missile tests conducted by North Korea this year goes up to ten.
26. US-based aviation company Cirrus Aircraft has launched the world’s smallest and most affordable private jet called ‘Vision Jet’ for Rs 12.62 crore.
The jet has only one engine and can cruise at 555 kmph.
It has a maximum operating altitude of 28,000 feet, and takes off from just 620 metres of runway.
27. China has launched the world’s largest floating solar farm.
It’s a 40-megawatt power plant that has 160,000 panels resting on a lake that emerged after the collapse of a coal mine in central Anhui province.
28. DRDO successfully test fired anti-tank ‘Nag’ missile in Rajasthan.
The helicopter launched version known as Helicopter-Launched NAG (HELINA).
29. Scientists are developing a new system that would be able to predict if a car driver is about to have a heart attack.
The feature would help avoid road accidents due to an unexpected cardiac event.
30. Indian warships reached Australia’s port city of Freemantle to take part in a week-long naval exercise AUSINDEX-17 off the Western Australian coast.
Indian warships INS Kamorta, the INS Shivalik (first stealth warship built in India), and oiler INS Jyoti, will take part in the exercise.
31. NTPC developed India’s first 150 kW canal top solar PV System on cooling water channel inside power station premises.
It was set up at NTPC 2320 MW, Mouda Thermal Power Project in Nagpur Maharashtra.
32. China has launched its first X-ray space telescope to study black holes, pulsars and gamma-ray bursts.
The telescope weighing 2.5 tonne was sent to the space using China’s Long March-4B rocket.
33. According to NASA, May 2017 was the second hottest month in a span of 137 years.
The temperature of May 2017 was 0.88 degrees Celsius warmer than the mean May temperature from 1951-1980.
34. NASA’s James Webb space telescope will find signs of life in exoplanets of the TRAPPIST-1 system and on Saturn’s moon Enceladus.
These specific observations are part of a program of Guaranteed Time Observations (GTO), which provides dedicated time to the scientists that helped design and build the telescope’s four instruments.
35. China is planning to send mini-ecosystems comprising of potato seeds and silkworm eggs to the Moon by next year to prepare for future moon landings and possible human inhabitants.
36. ISRO working on a new propulsion system known as the Electric Propulsion (EP) system that is set to usher for cost effective satellite launches.
The EP system converts solar energy into electrical energy which in turn is used to change the velocity of a satellite in space.
37. ISRO’s Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) completes 1000 earth days in orbit.
The MOM has at present completed 388 orbits of Mars and has sent 715 images back to earth.
India plans to send Mangalyaan 2.0 and a new mission to Venus after 2020.
38. Larsen & Toubro has launched the first indigenously built Floating Dock (FDN-2) to repair Indian Navy ships at its Shipyard at Kattupalli, north of Chennai.
It is 185 meters long and 40 meters wide and is designed for docking Indian Navy ships and submarines of up to 8,000 tons of displacement.
39. NASA is testing the effectiveness of a flexible solar array, the Roll-Out Solar Array (ROSA) on space station for the very first time.
ROSA is an advanced, flexible solar array that rolls out like a tape measure.
40. The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is all set to launch an Earth-Observation Satellite, named Cartosat-2E.
Cartosat-2 series weighing 712 kg and 30 nano-satellites using Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV).
41. ISRO PSLV-38 blasted off from the spaceport carrying the Cartosat-2 series satellite a dedicated satellite for the defense forces along with 30 co-passenger satellites.
42. NASA has launched world’s lightest satellite KalamSat weighing only 64 grams designed by 18-year-old boy Rifath Sharook from Tamil Nadu.
The tiny satellite has been named as KalamSat after the former President APJ Abdul Kalam.
43. Thirty Metre Telescope (TMT) is the world’s biggest telescope which would facilitate astronomers to observe the intricacies of the universe from earth.
It is a multi- million -dollar project being developed by an international consortium of five countries including India.
The other four countries are Canada, China, Japan and the U.S.
44. Rocks were found at the edge of Endeavour Crater said NASA
NASA’s Mars rover Opportunity has found rocks at the edge of Endeavour Crater that might have been a lake of liquid water. The scientists believe that the rocks were either transported by a flood or eroded in place by the wind.
45. Satellite Based Chip System to Alert Road Users at Unmanned Level Crossings
ISRO has developed a Satellite-based chip system to help road users at unmanned level crossings about approaching trains. These chips will also help the railways in tracking train movement on a real-time basis.
46. Bullet – Proof Helmets for Indian Army
A Kanpur based MKU Industries has designed the first batch of Bullet-Proof Helmets for Indian Army at the cost of Rs. 180 Crore.
47. ISRO’s 3rd Satellite that is launched within 3 Months Span – GSAT-17
48. Petya Ransomware is part of a new wave of cyber-attacks and has infected computer servers across the world. This is a variation of WannaCry cyber-attack.
49. China’s Most Powerful Naval Destroyer – Type 055 (One amongst the Largest Worships in the World).
50. Web Application for Free Legal Services to Prisoners launched by – NALSA.
To monitor the grant of legal aid to the prisoners and to make sure that all prisoners are represented right from their first day in the court, this web application was developed by NALSA.
51. India to receive a C-17 Transport Aircraft by the US.
The US, Russia & Israel has emerged as a top three arms supplier to India.
52. The NASA has successfully launched Terrier-Improved Malemute sounding rocket that created colorful artificial clouds visible in the skies of the US.
1. World Milk Day is an initiative of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) to celebrate the contribution of the dairy industry around the globe on 1st June every year.
The tagline added this year as a Raise a glass for milk.
2. International Day of Innocent Children Victims of Aggression is observed on 4th June across the globe for the innocent children life save.
This day affirms the United Nation’s commitment for preserving the rights of children.
3. World Environment Day (WED) occurs on 5th June every year, is the United Nation’s principal vehicle for encouraging worldwide awareness and action for the protection of our environment.
The theme for 2017 is Connecting People to Nature – in the city and on the land, from the poles to the equator’.
The host country for the year 2017 is Canada.
4. World Oceans Day is celebrated across the world on 8th June.
The theme for World Oceans Day 2017 is Our Oceans, Our Future.
This day provides a unique opportunity to honor, help protect, and conserve the oceans.
5. The World Day against Child Labour is being observed annually across the world on 12th June to bring awareness against child labour.
The aim of the day is to focus attention on the global extent of child labour and the action and efforts needed to eliminate it.
The theme for the year 2017 is – In conflicts and disasters, protect children from child labour.
6. World Blood Donor Day is celebrated every year by the people in many countries around the world on 14th June.
The aim is to raise the public awareness about the need for safe blood donation (including its products) voluntarily and unpaid by the healthy person.
The theme for 2017 is – Giving blood in a time of crisis.
7. The World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD) is commemorated on 15th June every year across the world.
The 2017 theme for the WEAAD is – Understand and End Financial Abuse of Older People: A Human Rights Issue.
It aims the importance of preventing financial exploitation in the context of elder abuse to the enjoyment of older persons human rights.
8. The International Day of Family Remittances (IDFR) was celebrated every year on 16th June.
The day is aimed at recognizing the significant financial contribution migrant workers make to the wellbeing of their families back home.
9. The World Day to Combat Desertification was observed every year on 17th June.
The aim is to promote public awareness relating to International cooperation to combat desertification and the effects of drought.
The theme of 2017 is – Our land. Our home. Our Future.
10. The International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict is observed on 19th June across the world to raise awareness of the need to put an end to conflict-related sexual violence.
The theme for the year 2017 is Preventing Sexual Violence Crimes through Justice and Deterrence.
11. The World Refugee Day (WRD) is observed on 20th June across the world to commemorates the strength, courage, and perseverance of millions of refugees.
12. The International Day of Yoga is celebrated on 21st June across the world.
The theme for 2017 is Yoga for Health.
The theme highlights that yoga can contribute in a holistic way to achieving an equilibrium between mind and body.
13. The United Nations Public Service Day is celebrated on 23rd June of every year.
The prestigious UN Public Service Awards are given away on this day.
14. International Olympic Day is celebrated on 23rd June of every year.
It is a day for the world to get active, learn about Olympic values and discover new sports.
15. World’s 1st ATM’s Birthday – 27th June 1967. (Completed its 50 years on 27th June 2017)
16. The 31st anniversary of the signing of the historic Mizo peace accord on June 30, 1986, was celebrated in Mizoram.
The Mizo Accord was signed by the Mizo National Front (MNF) leader Laldenga, Mizoram Chief Secretary Lalkhama, and Union Home Secretary R D Pradhan.
17. 3 Day MODI (Making of Developed India Festival) was inaugurated in Kala Academy in Panaji on – 26th June 2017.
Goa chief minister Manohar Parrikar inaugurated the fest.
18. The 2017 International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking – 26th June 2017.
Recent Notable Deaths
1. Former Greek Prime Minister Constantine Mitsotakis, one of Greece’s most prominent veteran politicians has died.
Mitsotakis was prime minister of Greece from 1990 to 1993.
2. Noted director and former Union Minister, Dasari Narayana Rao has died at a corporate hospital.
He directed 151 movies and produced a few more and has had the distinction of working with stalwarts like N.T. Rama Rao.
He holds Limca World Record for directing the most number of films.
3. Former Panama dictator Manuel Noriega passed away on 29 May 2017 following a prolonged illness.
Noriega ruled Panama from 1983 to 1989.
He was serving a sentence for murder in Panama at the time of his death.
4. Parvathamma Rajkumar, Kannada film producer and wife of the late Kannada superstar Rajkumar, passed away due to prolonged illness.
She was the only woman producer-distributor-exhibitor of Kannada films.
5. Veteran Congress leader and Rajya Sabha member from Telangana, Palvai Govardhan Reddy, died of cardiac arrest in Kulu, Himachal Pradesh.
Palvai was first elected to the Legislative Assembly in 1967 from Munugodu constituency in Nalgonda district in the United Andhra Pradesh.
6. Mehrunnisa Dalwai, eminent social activist, author and wife of the late thinker and Marathi writer Hamid Dalwai has passed away.
She worked for justice and equal rights for Muslim women and spearheaded a march in Mumbai seeking abolition of triple ‘talaq’.
She also founded Islamic Research Institute and Maharashtra Talaq Mukti Morcha.
7. Legendary Telugu poet and writer C. Narayana Reddy passed away in Hyderabad.
He was a recipient of the prestigious “Jnanpith award”.
The 85-year-old doyen of Telugu language had to his credit more than 80 publications, which include poems, songs, lyrical dramas, ballets, essays, travelogues and ghazals.
8. Adam West, the US actor best known as the star of the 1960s hit TV series Batman, has died aged 88.
in 2012, he was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
9. Former German Chancellor, Helmut Kohl, died at his house in Ludwigshafen, in the Western State of Germany.
10. Former Chief Justice of India Prafullachandra Natwarlal Bhagwati, who is considered as a pioneer of Judicial Activism has passed away.
He was a former chief justice of the Gujarat High Court and was appointed a judge of the Supreme Court in July 1973.
11. The father of India’s nuclear fusion reactor research programme, Padma Shri Prof Predhiman Krishan Kaw has died.
He was the founder director of Institute for Plasma Research (IPR), Gandhinagar.
He was named the 2015 laureate of the Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar Prize for “outstanding contributions” in the field of plasma physics.
12. Former Bureaucrat O N Dhar passes away.
13. Swedish actor Michael Nyqvist dies at 56.
14. Former CPI legislator N Gurusamy passes away.
15. Lupin founder and Chairman Desh Bandhu Gupta passes away.
16. Noted Malayalam filmmaker KR Mohanan passes away.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
Image Courtesy: Google Images