Read Current Affairs of last month online, all summarized well into one digest GK Eduwrap. Also, covering all the latest questions of General Knowledge asked in General Awareness for Bank PO.
National – Across the India
1. The tallest national flag in the country measuring 360 feet was hoisted at the Attari-Wagah joint check post in Punjab.
Earlier, the record was held by the one in Ranchi which is 293 feet high.
2. A three – day National Conference on Innovation in Educational Administration has begun on 5th March 2017 at Pravasi Bhartiya Kendra, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi.
This Conference has been organized by the National University of Educational Planning and Administration (NUEPA), New Delhi.
About 150 district and block level education officers from across India and resource persons and faculty of the university are participating in the Conference.
3. INS Viraat, Indian Navy’s flagship aircraft carrier, famously known as the ‘Grand Old Lady’, will retire from service on 6th March 2017.
The aircraft carrier which holds the Guinness Record for the oldest carrier in service was inducted into the Indian Navy on May 12, 1987.
4. The Union Government has launched the first ever across-the-river survey in River Ganga.
The survey was done to determine the population of aquatic life, including that of the endangered Gangetic dolphin.
The survey will create a baseline scientific data for the government to take suitable measures to improve quality of the Ganga’s water.
5. The Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC) 2017 report, claims that nearly 45 per cent of the 1263 species available in India are found in Himachal Pradesh.
6. The Union Government has approved the strategic sale of state-owned Steel Authority of India Limited’s (SAIL) three special steel plants.
These are Alloy Steels Plant located at Durgapur (West Bengal), Salem Steel Plant (Tamil Nadu) and Visvesvaraya Iron and Steel Plant (Bhadravati, Karnataka).
7. Chandigarh will be hosting a three-day long Destination North East 2017 event from 6th March 2017 to 8th March 2017.
The event is aimed at showcasing North East as a potential destination for investment.
8. GMR-led consortium, have secured top 2 rankings in airport service quality by the Airports Council International.
Hyderabad airport was ranked number 1 in the 5-15 mppa category in the Airports Council International 2016 rankings.
Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport has become world’s number 2 airport in the over 40 million passengers per annum (mppa) category.
9. The two-day International Yoga fest has begun in New Delhi on 8th March 2017.
More than 3,500 participants including eminent yoga gurus, yoga masters, scholars, policy makers and representatives from 15- 18 countries participated in this mega event.
10. The Central Board of Secondary education (CBSE) has come up with a mobile application Exam Locator.
The app will help students to quickly know the exam centre on the basis of their roll number.
A student can easily find the address, images and geolocation of the designated exam centre on the map.
11. The 11th North East Business Summit (NEBS) has begun in New Delhi.
It is an initiative to facilitate investment, highlight strengths of the North-East Region (NER) and business opportunities which North-East has to offer.
The Summit will also showcase the untapped business potential of North-East to investors worldwide.
12. The Centre is all set to roll out a Rs. 2,700-crore welfare scheme in 100 smart cities to give rent vouchers to the urban poor.
The government would launch the new rental housing policy with the rent vouchers for below poverty line (BPL) families.
The scheme is expected to cost Rs. 2,713 crore every year to implement in smart cities.
13. The Minister of State of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Shri Anil Madhav Dave, launched the web portal for obtaining Coastal Regulation Zone clearances.
The portal allocates a unique identity for each proposal for all future references.
14. The Union Government has decided to constitute a high-level committee to resolve the grievances and complaints of women sports persons.
The announcement was made at a conference on ‘Women and Sports in India’ in New Delhi. The few focus points of the conference are:
Creation of safe spaces for girl athletes and women coaches.
Inclusion of gender sensitization modules in coach training modules.
15. India Navy has commissioned INS Tillanchang at Karwar, Karnataka. It is a Water Jet Fast Attack Craft (WJFAC).
It is the third ship of four follow-on WJFAC built by the Kolkata-based Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE).
The first two ships INS Tarmugli and INS Tihayu which were commissioned in 2016.
16. Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Palaniswami has launched a housing scheme estimated at Rs 1,580 crore.
The scheme was being implemented by the state government with Central assistance for the economically poor.
Concrete houses will be constructed for 50,170 beneficiaries in town panchayat limits.
17. The AIADMK IT Wing has launched the first-of-its-kind women safety application ‘Ammavin Aran’ in Tamil Nadu.
The app Ammavin Aran means mother’s fortress.
The app will give the user details about the nearest police station and hospital along with map details and phone number.
18. The government has made Aadhaar Card mandatory for a host of schemes.
The schemes include the agriculture ministry, from soil health card and horticulture development to the Prime Minister’s flagship crop insurance scheme.
Farmers without an Aadhaar number have to apply for it by end of March.
19. The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MEITY) has issued draft Information Technology Rules 2017 for Prepaid Payment Instruments (PPI) company or e-wallet firms.
The draft rules seek to ensure integrity, security and confidentiality of electronic payments made through PPIs.
20. Scientists for the first time have discovered three new canyons close to Kovvada in Srikakulam district of Andhra Pradesh.
This discovery was made by the team of scientists from CSIR-National Institute of Oceanography (NIO) in Visakhapatnam.
These three canyons together form a major canyon system in the depths of the Bay of Bengal.
21. Punjab Agricultural University (PAU) in Ludhiana has claimed developing country’s first genetically-modified (GM) varieties of cotton – PAU Bt 1 and F1861.
The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) also has identified three Bt cotton varieties –F1861, PAU Bt 1 and RS2013 for cultivation in Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan.
22. 46th National Safety Week Campaign was commenced from 4th March 2017 to 10th March 2017 to renewing the commitment of employees and the general public to work safely throughout the year.
It is observed by National Safety Council (NSC) since 1972.
2017 theme is Keep Each Other Safe.
23. Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Shri Kiren Rijiju launched mobile application MySSB.
The Minister lauded the efforts in developing the application and expressed hope that SSB will continue keeping the welfare of its personnel on the priority basis.
24. For the first time in India, four states Odisha, West Bengal, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand have decided to conduct a synchronized elephant census in May 2017.
These four together have the maximum number of human-elephant conflict-prone regions in India.
This decision was taken by senior Forest Department officials of the four States during a regional workshop.
25. Senior Bharatiya Janata Party leader and Goa deputy chief minister Francis Dsouza has won Goa Elections 2017 by 6,828 votes from Mapusa constituency.
He has defeated Secretary of Goa Cricket Association Vinod Phadke of the MGP.
26. Central Board of Secondary Education has made six subjects mandatory for class 10th board exams.
CBSE allowing assessment scheme for Class 10 students in vocational stream who fail in any of social science, mathematics and science papers to replace it with a vocational subject.
However, if a candidate wishes to reappear for the failed subject, he/she can appear in the compartment examination.
27. India has successfully test fired Brahmos Supersonic cruise missile tested from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) Chandipur at sea in Balasore, off the coast of Odisha.
It is a 450-km range version of the cruise missile.
The extended range Brahmos hit the target with centimetric accuracy.
28. Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore has been ranked eighth at The Best Small Universities in the World 2017.
It becomes the first Indian University to be ranked among top 10 in the world.
29. The World Health Organization (WHO) announced that more than 1 in 4 deaths of children under 5 years of age are attributable to unhealthy environments.
phicon type=”play”] The revelations were made by the agency in its two new reports, titled Inheriting a Sustainable World: Atlas of Children’s Health and the Environment and Don’t pollute my future! The impact of the environment on children’s health.
30. Prime Minister, Narendra Modi released a commemorative postage stamp on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of Yogoda Satsanga Society of India.
He said it is unfortunate that some people link Adhyatma with religion.
31. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will dedicate to the nation a Petrochemical Complex of ONGC Petro Additions Limited at Dahej, Gujrat.
During his two day visit to Gujarat he will also dedicate a four-lane bridge over the Narmada at Bharuch on NH-8.
32. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affair (CCEA) approved the proposal for revival of 50 un-served airports and airstrips of the state governments, Airports Authority of India and Civil enclaves.
The total cost of the project is estimated to be 4500 crore rupees.
33. The Election Commission (EC) finished vote counting for 2017 Assembly election results in five states, including Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Goa and Manipur.
Yogi Adityanath becomes Uttar Pradesh’s new Chief Minister.
Amarinder Singh becomes Punjab’s new Chief Minister.
Nongthombam Biren Singh becomes Manipur’s new Chief Minister.
Trivendra Singh Rawat becomes Uttarakhand’s new Chief Minister.
Manohar Parrikar becomes Goa’s new Chief Minister.
34. The Ministry of Agriculture and Farmer’s Welfare launched Mission Fingerling.
The program is aimed at achieving the Blue Revolution by enabling holistic development and management of fisheries.
The main motive behind this program is to enhance the fisheries production from 10.79 mmt (2014-15) to 15 mmt by 2020-21.
35. Hyderabad has ranked the best Indian city for living standards, as per the Mercer’s Quality of Living rankings 2017.
Both Hyderabad and Pune ranked higher for the quality of living than the Mumbai and New Delhi, which have been ranked at 154 and 161, respectively, by the report.
36. National Agricultural Fair Krishi Unnati Mela 2017 was organized during 15th-17th March 2017 at IARI, PUSA New Delhi by ICAR-DARE, IARI.
The Major attraction of the Mela was digitization in agriculture, organic farming, agribusiness models, precision farming, skill building and entrepreneurship development.
37. Commerce and Industry Minister Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman launched the Trade Infrastructure for Export Scheme (TIES).
The objective of the proposed scheme is to enhance export competitiveness by bridging gaps in export infrastructure and creating focused export infrastructure.
38. Karnataka chief minister Siddaramaiah has announced 100 crores for Namma Canteen (our canteen).
It will give breakfast at Rs.5, lunch and dinner at Rs.10 at one centre in each of the 192 wards in Bengaluru.
39. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved the Policy for Early Monetization of Coal Bed Methane (CBM) Gas Marketing and Pricing Freedom for CBM Gas.
The policy provides marketing and pricing freedom to the CBM contractors to sell the CBM at Arm’s Length Price in the domestic market.
40. The Centre has approved financial assistance for bifurcated Andhra Pradesh by way of special dispensation in funding of externally aided projects (EAPs) and the irrigation component of Polavaram project.
The special assistance will be provided to the state towards repayment of loan and interest for EAPs signed and disbursed during 2015-16 to 2019-20.
41. The Union Cabinet has approved 2% additional Dearness allowance for Central government employees and Dearness relief for pensioners.
It will be effective from 1st January 2017. This decision will benefit about 48.85 lakh Central government employees and 55.51 lakh pensioners.
42. Centre has approved setting up of fifty Kendra Vidhyalayas to provide quality education to around 50,000 students across the country.
The schools, which will be set up under the civil/defense sector for classes 1 to 5.
43. The 6th edition of the largest International Engineering Sourcing Show(IESS) was inaugurated in Chennai.
IESS VI was inaugurated in a gala ceremony on 16th March 2017 in Chennai, expecting significant business deals during the three-day event.
44. The Union Cabinet has approved the National Health Policy 2017.
It aims to raise public healthcare expenditure to 2.5% of GDP from current 1.4%, with more than two-thirds of those resources going towards primary healthcare.
45. The Union Ministry of Environment has provided a six months’ window and a one-time opportunity to the industrial projects functioning without environmental clearance (EC) to apply for a back-dated EC.
46. Airbus is setting up a greenfield training facility at Aerocity, New Delhi, to support India’s growing need for Airbus aircraft pilots and maintenance engineers.
This will also be the first training facility of Airbus in Asia.
It is expected to be operational by the end of 2018.
47. The President of India had inaugurated a 3-day International conference on Universities of the Future: Knowledge, Innovation and Responsibility at O. P. Jindal Global University (JGU) in Haryana.
The conference was aimed to examine the future of the Indian universities in the twenty-first century.
48. India-Russia Military Industry Conference was held on 17-18 March 2017 in New Delhi.
They have signed 2 agreements for the Sukhoi Su-30MKI combat aircraft fleet, covering around 57,000 spares and components related to the aircraft.
49. The three days International Buddhist Conference was inaugurated by at Rajgir International Buddhist Conference, Bihar. There were two highlights of the inaugural session:
One is the release of the reprint of the Pali Tripitaka in Devanagri script by His Holiness the Dalai lama.
The second highlight was the announcement of the opening of the department of the Buddhist science for the first time in Asia.
50. A Railway research centre in Australia has signed an agreement with the Indian Railways to support future research and technology development related to critical infrastructure in India.
They will provide guidance on the establishment of a new applied research and development institute in India known as SRESTHA.
51. Chennai-Nashiri, India’s longest surface tunnel in Jammu and Kashmir’s Udhampur district has completed its trial run.
The 9-km-long tunnel at Chennai passes through the lower Himalayan mountain range on Jammu- Srinagar National Highway.
The total cost of the project is Rs.3720 crores.
52. The proposed Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojna was launched at a camp in Andhra Pradesh’s Nellore district on 25th March 2017.
Under the scheme, senior citizens, living below the poverty line, will now get for free assistive devices like hearing aids and wheelchairs.
The estimated cost for the scheme is Rs.477 crores.
53. Union Minister Harsh Vardhan inaugurated the 5th foundation day function of the Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council(BIRAC) in New Delhi.
The discussion focused on the impact the Biotech Ecosystem is making on the Indian economy.
54. A two- day National Conference- Empowering Deaf through Indian Sign Language was inaugurated in New Delhi.
The objective of the Conference is to provide a common platform to the professionals involved in the field of Deaf Education and various other related topics.
55. India ranked at 122 out of 155 countries in the World Happiness Report 2017, four notches below its previous rank of 118.
Norway topped the list and the Central African Republic ranked the last.
56. An interactive portal was launched on the Oral Health Day by the government to raise awareness and educate the masses about the dental and oral health.
India was ranked 131 in the 2016 Human Development Index (HDI) among the 188 countries.
57. India scored 0.624 and was placed in medium human development category.
Top three countries are- Norway (0.949 scores), Australia (0.939) and Switzerland (0.939).
58. An 11-day Joint Cycling Expedition of Bangladesh and Indian army was flagged off in Agartala and would cover 532 km.
The aim is to further strengthen the friendship between the two armed forces.
59. The 5th Rashtriya Sanskriti Mahotsav (RSM) 2017 was organized in North Eastern Region from 23rd to 31st March 2017 at Parade Ground, Tawang in Arunachal Pradesh.
60. The 3rd Conference of Health/AYUSH Ministers of States/UTs was inaugurated in New Delhi.
The conference was organized to provide an opportunity to States/UT to interact with each other for the development of AYUSH sector.
61. The Union Cabinet has approved setting up of National Commission for Socially and Educationally Backward Classes (NSEBC) as a constitutional body.
Constitutional amendment bill for amending constitution mainly by insertion of Article 338B will be soon introduced in the Parliament.
62. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved North East Road Network Connectivity Project (NERNCP) Phase I for the development of 403 kms of National Highways in Meghalaya and Mizoram.
CCEA also approved a policy for grant of extension to the Production Sharing Contracts (PSC) that were awarded by Union Government for Pre-NELP Exploration Blocks before 1999.
63. Andhra Pradesh has topped the list in linking Jan Dhan accounts with the Aadhar number.
Andhra Pradesh had linked 87.73 per cent of its Jan-Dhan accounts with Aadhaar numbers.
64. The 3rd International Conference on Alternate Fuels and Raw Materials in Cement Industry -Towards Realizing Swachh Bharat Dream was inaugurated in New Delhi.
It aims to facilitate technical, regulatory and financial solutions for increasing alternate fuels and raw materials usage in the cement industry.
65. Minister of State (I/C) for Petroleum and Natural Gas, Shri Dharmendra Pradhan launched MoP&NG e-Seva.
It is an integrated grievances redressal platform across social media for all Oil & Gas related service issues.
66. The Carpet Export Promotion Council is organizing the 33rd India Carpet Expo from 27th-30th March 2017 in Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
The Expo is one of Asia’s largest handmade carpet fairs, which will be inaugurated by the Union Textiles Minister, Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani.
67. The two-day Houston India Conference was hosted by Asia Society Texas Center from 24th March 2017.
The theme of the Conference is Make in India -The Inside Story.
It aims to bring together various constituencies and discuss the latest developments and the best practices of doing business in India.
68. Central Board of Direct Taxes has formed the committee to check absconding I-T department officers.
The 3-member committee will carry out a one-time count of all the officers and identify those Group ‘A’ officers (Indian Revenue Service) who are presently on unauthorized leave or are absconding.
69. Gauri Singh, 14-year-old girl became the first girl to explore the route from Sea Link near Worli Koliwada to the Gateway of India.
She has completed the 36-km long distance route in 6 hours and 30 minutes.
70. The 3rd G-20 Framework Working Group (FWG) Meeting under the G-20 German Presidency was hosted in Varanasi on 28th and 29th of March 2017.
71. Aadhaar card cannot be made mandatory by the government for extending the benefits of its welfare schemes to the people.
The Supreme Court allowed government to use Aadhaar in other schemes like the opening of bank accounts.
72. Odisha became the first state in the country to carry financial inclusion and extend banking services to remote rural areas through Self Help Groups (SHGs).
The state government signed an agreement with State Bank of India in this regard.
73. The number of internet users is expected to be increase to 730 million by 2020.
The reason being the fast adoption of digital technology under Central Government’s Digital India program.
74. The Union Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MoFPI) has sanctioned 101 new Integrated Cold Chain Projects.
These new projects will attract Rs. 3100 crore investment for the creation of modern infrastructure in the food processing sector.
75. National Tribal and North East Conclave-2017 was organized by Lalit Kala Akademi under Ministry of Culture in New Delhi.
The conclave platform features more than a dozen forms of tribal art.
76. India and Bavaria will set up a joint group to identify areas for cooperation in water sector.
Bavaria has a rich experience of successfully cleaning the river Danube in Germany and India may benefit from their experience.
77. The government will launch Aadhaar Pay, a digital payment platform for merchants on 14th April 2017.
Aadhaar Pay is meant for merchants to receive digital payments from customers over the counter through Aadhaar authentication.
78. India for the first time has become a net exporter of electricity during the April-February period in fiscal 2016-17.
During this period, India exported around 5,798 million units of electricity to Bangladesh, Nepal and Myanmar.
79. The Ministry of Road transport and Highways hosted the Grand Finale of the Smart India Hackathon 2017 at Nagpur on 1st and 2nd April 2017.
The aim was to harnesses the creativity and expertise of students, build funnel for Startup India, Standup India campaigns.
80. Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu has inaugurated high speed rail wire Wi-Fi facility in National Rail museum, New Delhi.
81. Kerala, Tripura and Arunachal Pradesh have joined Ujjwal Discom Assurance Yojna. With this, 26 states have joined the scheme.
Kerala, Arunachal Pradesh and Tripura will gain net benefits of approximately Rs. 4,178 crore, Rs.309 crore and Rs.810 crore respectively.
82. President Pranab Mukherjee has inaugurated Namami Brahmaputra festival on 31st March 2017 in Guwahati, Assam.
The five-day festival has included cultural programmes, traditional shows and film shows among other events.
83. The Government has approved the construction of 1 crore houses for the period of 2016-17 to 2018-19 under Pradhan Mantri Aawas Yojna-Gramin.
The financial implication of the construction is Rs. 81,975 crore.
84. The NGT has directed public sector oil companies to immediately stop plying Bharat Stage (BS-I & II) vehicles for transporting petrol or petroleum products in Delhi.
The order was issued against Indian Oil Corporation Limited, Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd and Hindustan Petroleum.
85. Cricketer Sachin Tendulkar has launched a mobile phone app 100 MB (Master Blaster) Cricket in Mumbai.
100MB Cricket is now available for Android via Google Play, and for iOS via the App Store.
86. All India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA), Sarita Vihar, New Delhi has been established as an Autonomous Body under the aegis of Ministry of AYUSH at a cost of Rs. 157 crore.
AIIA is a 200 bedded referral hospital and shall impart PG & Ph.D. degree courses in Ayurveda.
87. The North-Western Railway has declared the Barmer-Munawab and Pipad Road-Bilara rail routes in Rajasthan as Green Corridors, increasing the total number of green corridors to three.
The 114-km-long Manamadurai– Rameswaram stretch of Southern Railway was India’s first Green corridor.
88. ACT Fibernet announced the launch of 1Gbps (gigabits per second) wired broadband internet services in Hyderabad.
This makes the `City of Pearls’ India’s first Giga City.
The 1 Gb plan will be offered at Rs 5,999 per month in Hyderabad.
89. The Union Cabinet has approved ratification of 2 fundamental conventions of International Labour Organization (ILO) concerning with Child Labour.
They are: Minimum Age Convention (No. 138) and Worst Forms of Child Labour Convention (No. 182).
90. The CCEA has approved amendments in the Mega Power Policy, 2009 to push 31 GW stranded projects entailing an investment of Rs 1.5 lakh crore.
CCEA has also approved removal of all quantitative ceilings on individual organic products and allowed unrestricted exports of all organic and organic processed products.
CCEA has approved amendment in Para 5 of New Urea Policy (NUP), 2015 related to the production beyond Re-Assessed Capacity (RAC) and inclusion of Para 8 in NUP 2015.
91. National Thermal Power Corporation Limited (NTPC) has crossed the milestone of 50 Gigawatts power generation
It achieved this after commissioning of 500 Megawatts unit at Unchahar in Uttar Pradesh, increasing the total installed capacity of NTPC to 50,498.
92. Apple has announced the opening of new App Accelerator in the IT capital of the country – Bengaluru.
The App aims to deliver specialized support to the Indian developers, including tools and best practices to hone their skills.
International – Across the Globe
1. A 14-day joint training exercise of the armies of India and Oman has begun at Bakloh in Himachal Pradesh.
The exercise, Al Nagah-II, drew contingents comprised of platoon strength troops from both the armies.
2. President Donald Trump removed Iraq from a list of countries targeted in a US travel ban when he signed a new executive order after his controversial first attempt was blocked in the courts.
The new executive order would keep a 90-day ban on travel to the United States by citizens of six Muslim-majority nations – Iran, Libya, Syria, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen.
3. The United Nations Security Council will hold an emergency meeting on 8 March 2017 to discuss the latest missile launch by North Korea.
North Korea fired four banned ballistic missiles into the sea off Japan’s northwest coast, alarming both Japan and South Korea.
4. North Korea had temporarily banned Malaysians from leaving the country to ensure the safety of its diplomats and citizens in Malaysia.
The two countries will swiftly resolve the case in order to develop bilateral ties between both the nations.
5. A joint military exercise Surya Kiran-XI between India and Nepal has begun in Pithoragarh area of Uttarakhand.
This is a battalion level joint exercise between the two armies.
The two-week long exercise is aimed at training of both the troops in the area of various counter insurgency operations over a prolonged period.
6. Family members of the Australians on board the fatal Malaysian Airlines’ flight MH370 gathered at St John’s Cathedral in Brisbane to mark the third anniversary of the tragedy on 8th March 2017.
The private ceremony was attended by around 100 people including Darren Chester and Angus Houston.
7. The mega cultural festival India by the Nile Crafts Mela has started from 8th March 2017-23rd April 2017, showcasing joint handicraft exhibition of India and Egypt.
The Embassy of India in Cairo, in collaboration with Teamwork Arts, presented ‘Crafts Mela’ as part of the IBN 2017 cultural festival.
The festival, which is a celebration of Indian music, dance, theatre, visual arts, food and wellbeing, is the largest foreign festival in Egypt showcasing 70 events across the country.
8. The state of Hawaii has become the first state to sue to stop President Donald Trump’s revised travel ban.
The Hawaii president stated that the order will harm its Muslim population, tourism and foreign students.
9. National Assembly of Pakistan has passed the Hindu Marriage Bill, 2016 to regulate marriages of Hindus in Pakistan.
The bill was passed again by the lower house after amendments were made by the Senate (Upper House) while passing the bill.
The law prohibits the marriage of minors and prescribes a minimum age of 18-years for contracting marriage.
10. Great Barrier Reef in Australia’s eastern coast is experiencing an unprecedented second straight year of mass coral bleaching.
This is for the first-time Great Barrier Reef has bleached two years in sequence.
Earlier in March and April 2016, 2,300-km reef suffered had its most severe bleaching on record due to warming sea temperatures.
11. The Supreme Court of India said that it will not accept discharge of senior BJP leader LK Advani and others in the Babri Masjid demolition case only on technical grounds.
12. Vienna has topped consulting firm Mercer’s list of cities offering the highest quality of life while Baghdad is at lowest position and considered as a worst place to live in.
The survey of 231 cities helps companies and organizations determine compensation and hardship allowances for international staff.
13. Pakistan is set to conduct its first national census in 19 years with the assistance of over 200,000 troops.
The National census to be conducted in two phases from 15th March and will be completed on 25th May 2017.
14. Bangladesh’s unanimously adopted a resolution declaring 25th March as Genocide Day.
The day will be observed in remembrance of the atrocities carried out by the Pakistani Army on the night of 25th March 1971.
15. United Kingdom parliament gave its approval for Prime Minister Theresa May to start Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union.
The House of Lords rejected a last-ditch attempt to amend a bill empowering May to begin Brexit.
16. Sri Lanka has sought an extension of two more years from the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) to probe into the alleged war crimes that were committed during the three-decade long civil war with the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
17. US Government has announced its support for India’s full membership in the four multilateral export control regimes including Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG).
It indicated no change in US’s policy on the issue under Trump administration.
18. New Zealand’s Whanganui River has gained its own identity with all the corresponding rights, duties and liabilities of a legal person, after a 170-year battle.
Te Awa Tupua (Whanganui River Claims Settlement) Bill will establish a new legal framework for the river.
It recognized the river as an indivisible and living whole from the mountains to the sea.
19. India has joined World Health Organization to sign a call for action and pledged to scale up measures to end the Tuberculosis disease by 2030.
India reports 2.8 million new TB cases annually and nearly half a million deaths due to the disease.
v Six South East Asian countries are- Bangladesh, DPR Korea, India, Indonesia, Myanmar and Thailand.
20. The Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) and UN Women has launched the Women in Politics Map 2017.
The theme for 2017 is on women’s economic empowerment in the changing world of work.
India is placed at the 148th number.
21. Britain’s fertility regulator has granted the first license to doctors in Newcastle, northern England to create babies by using a three-parent IVF technique.
The technique is designed to prevent inherited genetic diseases.
The technique involves intervening in the fertilization process to remove faulty mitochondria which can cause fatal genetic diseases.
22. The G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors’ Meeting was held in Baden-Baden, Germany from 17th March 2017 to 18th March 2017.
It was an opportunity to discuss developments in the global economy with international counterparts and measures to be undertaken to face major challenges
23. The Indo-Oman joint military exercise Al Nagah-II 2017 was concluded at Bakloh in Himachal Pradesh.
The aim of the exercise was to acquaint both forces with each other’s operating procedures and counter- terrorism environment.
24. The Forbes Magazine has released the list of World’s Billionaires’ 2017 consisting of 2043 richest people in the world.
The list has been topped by Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates.
Among Indians, Reliance Industries chief Mukesh Ambani topped the list of 101 Indian richest people.
25. The Bloomberg Global Health Index 2017 has released its report of 163 countries.
Italy has ranked as the healthiest country on the planet, with a baby born there expected to live up to more than 80 years.
Iceland, Switzerland, Singapore and Australia made up the top five most healthy countries in the index.
26. The Economist Intelligence Index has released Worldwide Cost of Living Index.
Singapore has been ranked as the most expensive city.
4 Indian cities- Bangalore (3rd place), Chennai (6th), Mumbai (7th) and New Delhi (10th) have been ranked among the 10 cheapest cities in the world.
27. India has become the third largest aviation market in terms of domestic passenger traffic, beating Japan, an industry report has said.
India’s domestic air passenger traffic stood at 100 million in 2016 and was behind only the US and China.
28. U.S. Senate has voted for the approval of Montenegro as the newest member of NATO.
Senators voted 97-2 in favor of ending debate and allowing a vote on the ratification of its NATO membership.
29. Canada will host 9th edition of World Environmental Education Congress (WEEC) in Vancouver from 9th-15th September 2017.
The theme of the congress will be Culture/Environment: Weaving New Connections.
30. Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos has become the world’s second-richest person, with net worth of $75.6 billion according to Bloomberg’s Billionaire Index.
Bezos’ fortune spiked a day after Amazon announced plans to purchase Dubai-based e-commerce platform Souq.com.
31. India has joined the International Energy Agency as an associate member.
With India as a member, International Energy Agency now formally covers 70% of the world’s energy consumption.
Sports & Athletics
1. Britain’s Andy Murray beats Spaniard Fernando Verdasco in straight sets to win the Dubai Championships for the first time.
It is Murray’s first tournament win of 2017 and the 45th of his career.
2. American Sam Querrey claimed the biggest title of his career after defeating Rafael Nadal in straight sets in the final of the Mexican Open.
He won 6-3 7-6 (7-3) against the Rafael Nadal, who was chasing his 70th career title.
3. Board of Cricket Control in India (BCCI) has confirmed Oppo as its new sponsor. Oppo will replace Star on India’s jersey.
The deal will start from April 2017 and Oppo mobiles will be Indian team’s new sponsor for a period of 5 years.
The new deal was signed for Rs 1079 Crores which is five times more than the previous deal.
4. Ravichandran Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja have become the first pair of spinners to jointly share the top spot in the ICC Player rankings for Test Bowlers.
Dale Steyn and Muttiah Muralitharan in 2008 were the last bowling pair to be jointly top-ranked.
5. AB de Villiers has retained top spot in ICC ODI rankings overtaking David Warner of Australia.
Indian Captain Virat Kohli remained unchanged at 3rd position.
Rohit Sharma at 12th position.
Mahendra Singh Dhoni at 13th position follows Kohli.
Among the bowlers, Axar Patel was the best-placed Indian at the 11th position.
6. The Indian Woman’s Ice Hockey team recorded its first ever international win at the 2017 IIHF Challenge Cup of Asia.
They beat the Philippines 4-3 in the Challenge Cup of Asia at Bangkok, Thailand.
7. All England Badminton Championship 2017 was held in Barclaycard Arena from 7th March to 12th March 2017. Here is the list of winners.
Men’s Single: Malaysia’s Lee Chong Wei.
Women’s Single: China’s Tai Tzu-ying.
Men’s Double: Indonesia’s Marcus Gideon and Kevin Sukamuljo.
Women’s Double: South Korea’s Chang Ye Na and Lee So Hee.
Mixed Double: China’s Lu Kai and Huang Yaqiong.
8. Double Olympic gold medallist Joanna Rowsell Shand announced her retirement from international cycling.
Shand had won the women’s team pursuit at four editions of the World Championships (2008, 2009, 2012 and 2014).
9. SSP Chawrasia defended the Hero Indian Open title 2017 with a remarkable seven-stroke win in New Delhi.
He is only the second Indian golfer after Jyoti Randhawa to successfully defend the Hero Indian Open.
10. Goa faced Meghalaya in the opener of a Group A league match of the 71st Santosh Trophy at the SAG Athletics Stadium in Goa.
11. Google on 15th March 2017 dedicated a playful doodle to the first officially recognized Test Match in order to celebrate the 140th anniversary of official Test cricket.
Doodle captures the spirit of sportsmanship and the inaugural Test match.
12. Cheteshwar Pujara became the first Indian batsman to play longest innings.
He has scored 202 runs off 525 balls against Australia on the fourth day of the third Test match in Ranchi.
He surpassed Rahul Dravid’s record of 495 balls.
13. India’s KT Irfan has won bronze in the 20 km men’s event at the Asian Racewalking Championships in Japan.
South Korea’s Kim Hyun-Sub won the gold medal and Kazakhstan’s Georgiy Sheiko won the silver medal.
14. Swiss Roger Federer and Russian Elena Vesnina have clinched singles titles at Indian Wells tournament.
Federer defeated Stan Wawrinka by 6-4, 7-5.
Elena Vesnina defeated Svetlana Kuznetsova by 6-7 (6), 7-5, 6-4.
15. Ravindra Jadeja has become the top- ranked Test bowler while Cheteshwar Pujara moves up to second in ICC Test batsmen’s ranking.
Pujara replaces Virat Kohli from the second position.
16. India’s Vidya Pillai has won the silver medal in the World Women Snooker Championship in Singapore.
Hong Kong’s former World Champion, Ng On Yee, won the gold medal.
17. Tamil Nadu regained the Vijay Hazare trophy 2017 after beating Bengal by 37 runs in the finals.
With this win, they become the only team to win the tournament five times.
18. Ankur Mittal has won the gold medal in men’s double category at International Shooting Sports Federation World Cup in Acapulco, Mexico.
He beat Australian James Willet.
19. The Union Youth Affairs and Sports Minister Vijay Goel designated 14 Olympians as National Observers for 12 sports disciplines. They are:
PT Usha, Anju Bobby George, Dr. Sanjeev Kumar Singh, Aparna Popat, Mary Kom, Akhil Kumar, Jagbir Singh, Abhinav Bindra, Somdev Devvarman, Karnam Malleshwari, Sushil Kumar, I M Vijayan, Khajan Singh, Kamlesh Mehta.
20. Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel beat Lewis Hamilton’s Mercedes in a straight fight as Formula 1’s new era started at the Australian Grand Prix.
Britain’s Mercedes driver Valtteri Bottas finished third.
21. West Bengal has won the Santosh Trophy for the 32nd time by defeating Goa in the final football tournament.
Manvir Singh struck in the 119th minute for a 1-0 win over Goa.
22. Rafael Nadal celebrated his 1000th tour-level match victory to reach the fourth round of Miami Open.
He defeated German veteran Philipp Kohlschreiber.
23. Indian shuttlers Purva Barve and Varun Kapoor have won in the Li Ning-Israel Open 2017 badminton tournament held in Israel.
Purva won the tournament in the Under-19 Women’s Singles by defeating Lela Minadze of Russia by 21-6, 21-4 scoreline in 18 minutes.
Varun defeated England’s Toby Dillingham by 21-10, 21-2 scoreline to win his second International title.
24. Cheteshwar Pujara sets a record by scoring the highest runs in a test season by an Indian.
He surpassed the mark of 1269 runs by Gautam Gambhir.
He has scored 1316 runs at an average of 65.8 in the season
25. Australian Cricketer and world’s fastest bowler Shaun Tait announced his retirement from all forms of cricket.
In his 15-year career, he had played 35 ODIs, 12 T20 Internationals and only three Tests.
26. The Salt Lake Stadium in Kolkata has been named as the venue for the final of the 2017 FIFA U-17 World Cup, which will be held in India from 6th-28th October 2017.
The semi-finals will be held in Guwahati and Navi Mumbai, while the opening games will be held in New Delhi and Navi Mumbai.
27. India has won the Border-Gavaskar Trophy by eight-wicket over Australia in the 4th and final Test in Dharamsala.
With this, India won the series by 2-1.
28. India’s off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin received the Garfield Sobers Trophy for the ICC Cricketer of the Year 2016 as well as the ICC Test Cricketer of the Year 2016.
Ashwin is the third Indian, and the 12th player overall to win the award.
29. Argentina footballer Lionel Messi was banned from next four competitive internationals for swearing at a match official.
The ban will start with the World Cup’s qualifier in Bolivia.
Messi had directed insulting words at an assistant referee during the 1-0 win over Chile.
30. Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has suspended Mohammad Irfan for a year and also fined one million rupees ($9,500).
He was banned for violating the sport’s anti-corruption code during the Pakistan Super League T20.
31. Tamil Nadu defeated India B by 42 runs in the final to clinch the Deodhar Trophy at the ACA-VDCA stadium in Visakhapatnam.
Tamil Nadu has scored 303/9 in 50 overs and India B were bowled out for 261 in 46.1 overs.
32. Chennai’s Srinath Narayanan is set to become India’s 46th Grandmaster at the Sharjah Masters 2017 chess tournament.
He defeated Spanish GM David Anton Guijarro.
33. Turkish middle and long-distance runner Elvan Abeylegesse was stripped of two Olympic silver medals and one world silver after a re-analysis of an in-competition doping test dating back to 2007.
34. Bhubaneswar will host the Asian Athletics Championships from 6th- 9th July 2017 as per the announcements made by council meeting in Bangkok.
Kalinga Stadium of the Odisha capital will host the continent’s flagship event.
35. India forward SV Sunil was named the Asian Hockey Federation (AHF) Player of the Year for 2016.
Harmanpreet Singh was chosen as the Promising Player of the Year in the continental body’s annual awards.
36. International Cricket Council is set to bid for inclusion of cricket, in its Twenty20 format, in the 2024 Olympic Games.
The committee will choose between 2024 bid cities Paris and Los Angeles at a meeting in Lima in September.
Awards & Recognition
1. Eminent Malayalam author and journalist M P Veerendra Kumar was presented the 30th Moortidevi award by Bharatiya Jnanpith organization.
Kumar was chosen for the prestigious award for his Malayalam travelogue Hymavathabhoovil.
The book highlights environmental concerns over “fragile mountain ecosystem” and calls for action over lack of water resources and waste disposal systems.
2. Indian Institute of Technology-Madras has won the 2017 IEEE Spectrum Technology in the Service of Society Award for its solar-direct current (DC) inverter system.
The system, developed using micro grid technology, converts in-home power distribution from 230V Analog Current to 48V DC to directly power appliances and devices.
3. President Pranab Mukherjee presented the Nari Shakti Puraskar 2016 at a ceremony in New Delhi on the occasion of International Women’s Day 2017.
Some of the awardees of this year are scientists Anatta Sonney, B Codanayaguy and Subhu Varier.
The Nari Shakti Puraskar carries a cash award of Rs.1 Lakh and a certificate for individuals and institutions.
4. Eminent Konkani writer Mahabaleshwar Sail has been honoured with the 26th Saraswati Samman 2016 for his novel Hawthan.
The award carries a cash prize of 15 lakhs and a citation.
Goa-based Sail is a renowned bi-lingual writer who has four Marathi dramas and seven Konkani novels to his credit.
5. Zee Cine Awards 2017 was held in Mumbai. Here is the list of some of the winners.
Best Film: Pink.
Best Actor Female: Alia Bhatt – Udta Punjab.
Best Actor Male: Amitabh Bachchan – Pink.
Best Actor in a Comic Role: Rishi Kapoor – Kapoor and Sons.
Viewer’s Choice Best Film: Dangal.
6. Central Bank of India has been awarded first prize in the implementation of Official Language Policy in the western region for the year 2015-2016.
7. Two Indian-American authors Siddhartha Mukherjee and Paul Kalanithi have been shortlisted for the £30,000 Wellcome Book Prize.
Siddhartha Mukherjee was shortlisted for his study of genetics and mental health in his book The Gene.
Paul Kalanithi is the first posthumous author shortlisted for his life-affirming reflection on facing mortality When Breath Becomes Air.
8. Ramakrishna Ashram was conferred with the national-level Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay Rashtriya Krishi Vigyan Protsahan Puraskar for 2016.
The award was presented during the inaugural function of the Krishi Unnati Mela 2017 in New Delhi.
9. Indian-American teenager Indrani Das, won the top, $250,000 prize in the prestigious Regeneron Science Talent Search competition for her research on treating brain injuries and diseases.
Arjun Ramani, took the third place for his project on networks using mathematical field of graph theory and computer programming.
10. Anshumali Shrivastava has won NSF’s prestigious CAREER award for his research on redesigning current machine-learning processes.
11. An Indian-American CEO Sandeep Matharani has been ranked 4th on a list of top 25 overpaid CEOs in the United States.
Sandeep Matharani, CEO of General Growth Properties, Chicago was paid a total compensation of USD 39.2 million in 2016.
12. Six Indian Americans are nominated for the prestigious Ellis Island Medal of Honor 2017. Here are the names:
Indra Nooyi- PepsiCo CEO.
Fareed Zakaria- Author.
Dinesh Paliwal- Harman International Industries Chairman -CEO.
Dr. Annapoorna S Kini.
Yashvant Patel, Mohan H Patel.
Adil Haider- Pakistani-American.
13.The 8th Laadli Media Awards for Gender Sensitivity 2016 (Northern and Eastern Region) were announced at the Chinmaya Mission in Delhi.
Anima Pookkunnyil, Assistant Editor with BusinessLine, and Shreya Ila Anasuya, a Delhi-based freelance journalist, were awarded this year for their critical gender-sensitive reportage.
14. SBI chief Arundhati Bhattacharya was named by Fortune magazine among the world’s 50 greatest leaders who are transforming the world.
She has been ranked 26th on the list.
15. The Business Standard Annual Awards for Corporate Excellence was held in Mumbai.
Eicher Motors Managing Director (MD) Siddhartha Lal won the CEO of the Year award.
The ISRO received the Innovative Organisation of the Year award.
Madhav Chavan, co-founder, Pratham Foundation, winner of the Social Enterprise of the Year award.
Sanjit Bunker Roy of Barefoot College won the Social Entrepreneur of the Year award.
16. HDFC Bank’s Aditya Puri has been named among 3 Indians in World’s 30 Best CEOs List by securing 23rd position.
The top position has been secured by Mary Barra of General Motors.
17. Karur Vysya Bank has been adjudged the Best Small Bank for 2016 (balance sheet size of less than Rs.1-lakh crore).
This is the eighth award won by KVB in the current fiscal.
18. President Pranab Mukherjee presented B. C. Roy National Awards to 49 Physicians for the year 2014, 2015 and 2016.
Besides, he also presented Hari Om Ashram Alembic Research Awards to four physicians.
19. President Pranab Mukherjee conferred Padma Awards 2017 to the recipients at Rashtrapati Bhawan.
Cricketer Virat Kohli, veteran politicians Murli Manohar Joshi and Sharad Pawar and Paralympics medallist Deepa Malik were among the 39 people who were conferred the Padma awards.
20. Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu was selected for the US India Business Council Award of Transformative Chief Minister.
He will receive the award at the second annual West Coast Summit to be held in Menlo Park, California in May 2017.
Books & Authors
1. The book titled Rekha: The Untold Story authored by Yasser Usman was published.
The book that was published in August 2016 by Juggernaut suddenly came into news after few reports claimed that Rekha was secretly married to Sanjay Dutt.
2. The book titled The Rise of Sivagami: Book 1 of Baahubali – Before the Beginning was released and will be available to readers beginning on 15th March 2017.
The book was written by the noted author Anand Neelakanthan.
As per the author, it is a tale of intrigue, power, revenge and betrayal.
3. Former Australian captain Michael Clarke has launched his autobiography titled My Story at Kolkata.
In the book, he elaborates the famous Monkeygate case and also the death of his teammate Phil Hughes.
4. The Coffee Table Book titled 50 Years – The Great Indian Milk Revolution has been launched.
It was launched to commemorate National Dairy Development Board’s (NDDB) Golden Jubilee year.
5. Babar Afzal’s book 6 Time Thinner was inaugurated at Pashmina Art Exhibition by J & K Governor N.N. Vohra.
The title indicates the thickness of the pashmina strand being 6 times thinner than the human hair.
6. Chief of the Army Staff has released the book Home of the Brave on the history of Indian Army’s Counter Insurgency Force, the Rashtriya Rifles (RR), authored by Nitin A Gokhale.
It traces the early history of the RR, including its raising and subsequent deployment in Punjab, North East and in J & K.
7. A book titled Zakir Hussain: A Life for Music is to be released by Harper Collings Publishers India, written by Nasreen Munni Kabir.
The book will offer readers a personalized view into Indian classical music and Hussain’s life and career.
8. Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launched a book Indian Railways- The Weaving of a National Tapestry.
The book is authored by Bibek Debroy, Sanjay and Vidya Krishnamurthi.
Mergers & Acquisitions
1. Payments platform PayPal has announced an extension of its merchant partnership with MakeMyTrip.
The partnership with MakeMyTrip will help foreign tourists continue to enjoy the seamless and secure PayPal experience to book hotels and holiday packages.
2. IndusInd Bank will buy IL&FS Securities Services Ltd (ISSL), a subsidiary of Infrastructure Leasing and Financial Services (IL&FS) Ltd, in an all-cash deal.
The bank did not reveal the value of the acquisition.
This acquisition brings scale to this business, complements current product offerings of the bank.
3. Bandhan Bank, has tied up with Avenues India Pvt Ltd, a payment solution provider, to provide merchants with seamless access to point-of-sales (POS) and payment gateway products.
4. Full-service airline Jet Airways has announced a partnership with ride-hailing app Uber to book airport cabs through the Jet Airways app itself.
Guests booking their flights on the app and using Uber for the first time will also benefit from a discount of Rs.150 across their first three rides by using the promo code JETUBER.
5. Reliance Communications Ltd. has received approval from the SEBI and NSE for the merger with Aircel Ltd.
Creation of the new entity will first involve R. Com demerging its existing cellular business, which has around 100 million subscribers.
The wireless unit will then be merged with Aircel.
6. The Parliamentary Committee on Petitions has suggested the merger of state-run telecom firms BSNL and MTNL for their long-term survival.
The committee held that their merger will give both the entities a chance for competing against private sector players.
7. The BSE has tied up with Sentifi, a Swiss company and leader in the algorithmic-based analysis, for social media updates of 40,000 globally listed stocks.
Under the partnership, Sentifi would track, analyze and report social media messages on various stocks which would be provided on the BSE website.
8. The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) and International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) have signed an agreement to work together.
They will work together on crop improvement and agronomy programs for grain legumes and dryland cereals.
It will benefit small farmers in India and globally.
9. Idea Cellular has approved a merger with Vodafone India and its wholly owned subsidiary Vodafone India Mobile Services.
It will create India’s largest mobile phone company with about 400 million customers, 35% customer market share and 41% revenue market share.
10. Yes Bank has partnered with Payjo, an artificial intelligence banking platform to adopt its intelligence products.
The YES Pay Bot will be the first AI-driven Bot for a wallet and will complement the already trusted and popular YES Pay wallet service with over half-a-million users.
11. The Government of India has decided to merge the Bharatiya Mahila Bank with the State Bank of India.
The merger seeks to ensure greater banking services outreach to a larger number of women, at a faster pace.
12. Airtel has acquired Tikona Digital Network’s 4G business for Rs.1600 crores.
The deal gives Tikona’s 4G airwaves in five circles — Gujarat, UP (East), UP (West), Himachal Pradesh, and Rajasthan.
13.Repco Home Finance Ltd (RHFL) has tied up with National Housing Bank.
The merger is for implementation of credit-linked subsidy scheme for the middle- income group from 1st January 2017 for one year.
The scheme divides middle income group into two categories — with annual household income up to ₹12 lakhs and ₹18 lakhs.
14. Truecaller has tied up with Google to integrate the tech giant’s video calling app Duo within the Truecaller app.
The integration will be available for Android and iOS as a permission-based service, where users will be able to opt-in and out at any time.
15. ICICI Bank announced a partnership with mobile app firm Truecaller for a new UPI-based mobile payment service, called as Truecaller Pay.
It will allow users to instantly create a UPI id, send money to any UPI id or a mobile number registered with the BHIM app.
It will also enable users to recharge their mobile number from within the Truecaller app itself.
16. Axis Bank has tied up with Wells Fargo to transfer money from the Indian diaspora with an account with the Wells Fargo, to their relatives back home.
Under the arrangement will be no transaction fee applicable to the money transfers from USA.
Appointments & Resignations
1. Former Indian Captain Bhaichung Bhutia is no longer advisor to both the AIFF and President Praful Patel.
Bhutia was roped in as advisor two years back and has since then been instrumental in bringing India coach Stephen Constantine back and also extending his contract till February 2018.
2. Oil and gas experts Melody Meyer and Atul Gupta were appointed as advisors of Hydrocarbons Major Cairn India.
As advisors, they will provide strategic direction and delivery focus to Cairn India.
3. Former Utah Republican Governor Jon Huntsman was appointed as US Ambassador to Russia.
Earlier, Huntsman had served as US Ambassador to China under former President Barack Obama.
4. Donald Tusk has been re-elected as President of the European Council for a second term of two and a half years.
He has been re-elected from 1 June 2017 to 30 November 2019.
He won the elections despite objections from the government of his own country, Poland.
5. South Korean President Park Geun-hye has been removed from office with impeachment.
As per the law of the country, Park’s successor must be elected within 60 days.
At present, Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn is serving as the acting President of the country.
6. Shri Narendra Kumar, has appointed as Chairman of Central Water Commission (CWC).
He has served in various capacities in CWC as Assistant Director in Design Organisation, Deputy Director in Project Appraisal Directorate and Director in Dam Safety Organisation and Project Monitoring Directorate.
7. Biren Singh of the BJP is appointed as the new Chief Minister of Manipur.
The BJP is set to form the next government in Manipur.
8. Finance minister Arun Jaitley was given the additional charge of the defense ministry.
He was given this charge after Manohar Parrikar resigned to take on the new role of Goa chief minister.
9. Seema Verma has been appointed as chief of Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
She will be running the US government’s health program for the elderly, poor and disabled.
10. HSBC has appointed Mark Tucker, the chief executive of Asian insurer AIA, as group chairman.
He will take over on 1st October, succeeding Douglas Flint who has been in the role since 2010.
11. The Congress leadership has nominated Mallikarjun Kharge for the post of Chairman of Public Accounts Committee (PAC) of Parliament.
He will succeed his party colleague K V Thomas who is completing three terms in the post.
12. Shashank Manohar has resigned as ICC Chairman with immediate effect.
Manohar has stepped down from his post due to personal reasons after just eight months in charge.
He had then signed a two -year term in May 2016.
13. Reliance Commercial Finance, a subsidiary of Reliance Capital has appointed Devang Mody as chief executive officer.
Prior to this, Mody served as president of consumer business at Bajaj Finance.
14. Justice Chittaranjan Sharma was sworn in as Upalokayukta of Assam.
He was administered oath to the office by Governor Banwarilal Purohit at a simple ceremony at the Raj Bhawan.
15. Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd managing director Pawan Goenka will continue to be the chairman of the board of governors of Indian Institute of Technology-Madras (IIT-M) till June 2020.
16. Union Minister Babul Supriyo has been appointed as the vice-president of the FIFA U-17 World Cup organizing committee.
The tournament will be hosted by India between 6th to 28th October 2017.
This will be the first FIFA tournament hosted by the country.
17. The US Senate voted to confirm the appointment of Dan Coats and HR McMaster as President Donald Trump’s Director of National Intelligence and National Security Adviser respectively.
The senate voted 85 to 12 in favor of Coats’ appointment.
McMaster won by 86 votes in his favour.
18. The Government has decided to extend Chief Economic Advisor Arvind Subramanian’s tenure by two more years, till October 2019.
He was appointed as the CEA in October 2014 for a three-year tenure.
19. The newly appointed Chairman of National Commission for Safai Karamcharis Shri Manhar Valji Bhai Zala along with two members Smt. Manju Diler and Shri Dalip Kallu Hathibed assumed his office.
20. BJP leader Trivendra Singh Rawat will be the next Chief Minister of Uttarakhand.
Trivendra, an MLA from Doiwala, has strong RSS background and long experience in ministerial positions.
21. India’s most successful Badminton Doubles specialist Jwala Gutta was appointed as a member of the governing body of Sports Authority of India (SAI).
22. Lenovo has announced the appointment of Subhankar Roy Chowdhury to head its human resources team in Asia Pacific.
He was previously the company’s executive director and global head for HR Strategy, M&A and HR Analytics.
Subhankar will replace Andrew Dahms.
23. BJP’s Yogi Adityanath was sworn in as Uttar Pradesh’s 32nd chief minister along with 49 ministers.
The two -deputy minister-designated; Keshav Prasad Maurya and Dinesh Sharma were among those sworn in by UP governor Ram Naik.
24. The Centre has swapped the Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) of state-owned Indian Bank and IDBI Bank.
Mahesh Kumar Jain, who was Managing Director & CEO at Indian Bank, has been appointed as Managing Director & CEO of IDBI Bank.
Kishore Piraji Kharat, who was appointed as IDBI Bank CEO in August 2015, has now been appointed as Managing Director and CEO of Indian Bank.
25. Uber Technologies Inc. president Jeff Jones quit the company, seven months after his joining.
He joined Uber from Target Corp, where he was chief marketing officer and is credited with modernizing the retailer’s brand.
26. Senior BJP legislator Hangkhalian was sworn-in as Protem Speaker of the 11th Manipur Legislative Assembly.
He was administered the oath of office by State Governor Najma Heptulla at the Raj Bhawan.
27. Justice Navniti Prasad Singh took the oath as the Chief Justice of the Kerala High Court.
He replaced Justice TB Radhakrishnan, who was appointed as the Chief Justice of the Chhattisgarh High Court.
28. Santiago Nieva will be India’s new foreign coach for men boxers, succeeding Cuban BI Fernandes.
Nieva, an AIBA three-star coach, was attached with the Swedish men’s team until last year.
He quit the position after the Rio Olympics.
29. Kumar Mangalam Birla has been appointed as the Chairman of the Vodafone and Idea Cellular merged entity.
The merged entity will come into force over the next two years.
30. E-commerce firm Snapdeal has appointed Jason Kothari as the Chief Executive Officer of FreeCharge.
In addition to his role of CEO, Kothari will also play the role of Chief Strategy & Investment Officer at Snapdeal.
31. The International Cricket Council (ICC) has announced the appointment of Ankur Khanna to the post of Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
He will join the ICC at the end of March.
32. Upendra Tripathy was appointed as the Interim Director General (IDG) of the International Solar Alliance (ISA) on a full- time basis.
He is an Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer of Karnataka Cadre.
33. Madhabi Puri Buch was appointed as a whole-time member of capital markets regulator Security and Exchange Board of India.
She is founder-director of Agora Advisory Pvt. Ltd. and currently at the New Development Bank in Shanghai, China.
34. Ghanshyam Singh was appointed as new Member (Traction) Railway Board and ex officio Secretary to the Government of India.
He is an officer of Indian Railway Service of Electrical Engineering (IRSEE) of 1979 batch.
35. Congress veteran and former Karnataka Chief Minister S M Krishna formally joined the BJP.
He also served as the Karnataka Chief Minister between 1999 and 2004.
36. The Reserve Bank of India has accorded its approval for the appointment of T S Anantharaman as part-time Chairman of the Catholic Syrian bank.
He has been holding the position of Non-Executive Director of the bank since August 28, 2009.
37. BJP legislator Michael Lobo was elected as the Deputy speaker of the Goa Assembly.
He is a two-time MLA from Goa’s Calangute constituency and defeated Congress nominee Izidore Fernandes.
38. Renowned pulmonologist Randeep Guleria has been appointed as the Director of the AIIMS.
He will succeed Dr. M C Mishra, who retired in January after serving for over three years.
39. State-run Engineers India Ltd appointed Shazia Ilmi Malik as additional director (non-official part-time independent).
Earlier, Ilmi was appointed as a brand ambassador for the Prime Minister’s Swachh Bharat Mission programme.
40. Reliance Group Chairman Anil Ambani has been inducted into the international advisory board of global think-tank The Atlantic Council.
Other global business leaders include Thomas Enders, CEO, Airbus Group, Rupert Murdoch, CEO, 21 Century Fox etc.
41. Sunaina Singh has been appointed as the new vice chancellor of Nalanda University by the president.
She will replace Vijay P Bhatkar as the university’s chancellor.
42. Broadcast Audience Research Council (BARC) has appointed Justice Mukul Mudgal as head of its independent disciplinary committee.
The committee will investigate and address complaints related to viewership malpractices and tampering of measurement system.
43. Global investment bank Nomura has appointed Prabhat Awasthi as its new India head.
Awasthi, who is currently Head of Equities, India, will replace Vikas Sharma as the country head from 1st April 2017.
44. Senior bureaucrat Vanaja N Sarna was appointed as chairperson of Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC).
She will take over charge from incumbent Najib Shah.
45. United Nations has appointed former South Carolina Governor David Beasley to run the Rome-based World Food Programme (WFP).
He will replace another American, Ertharin Cousin, who has been the WFP executive director since 2012.
46. Sergeant Ali Javed becomes the first Muslim to join the Emergency Service Unit of the New York City Police Department (NYPD).
vHe also become the first Pakistani American to join the elite services.
47. Iqbal Surve has been appointed as chairperson of the country’s BRICS Business Council.
He highlighted importance to strengthen ties with China and India.
48. State-owned Coal India has announced the termination of the services of one of its director’s R Mohan Das.
His services were terminated as per the directions received by the PSU from the Coal Ministry.
49. Maninder Singh Juneja has been appointed as MD & CEO of National Bulk Handling Corporation (NBHC).
He will replace Anil Chaudhary, who will continue to associate with NBHC as an executive vice-chairman.
50. Dr. Navrang Saini took charge as Whole Time Member, Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India in New Delhi.
He will also look after Legal Affairs and Establishment.
He served as a member of the Indian Corporate Law Service (ICLS).
Economics & Banking GK
1. State Bank of India has decided to resume the charge on savings account holders for failing to maintain the monthly average balance in their accounts from 1st April 2017.
Monthly average balance that customers will have to maintain in their savings bank accounts in SBI branches in metropolitan areas is Rs 5,000.
In case the shortfall in the monthly average balance is below 50 per cent, then a charge of Rs 50 plus service tax will be levied.
2. The GST Council meeting approved the final draft of Central GST (CGST) and Inter-State GST (IGST) laws.
The approval of CGST and IGST laws is considered as significant step towards meeting the 1st July, 2017 deadline for rolling out of the Goods and Services Tax (GST).
3. The Trade Mark Rules, 2017 came into effect on 6 March 2017.
This will replace the erstwhile Trade Mark Rules, 2002 and streamline and simplify the processing of Trade Mark applications.
The number of Trade Mark (TM) forms has been brought down to eight from existing 74.
4. Haryana Finance Minister Captain Abhimanyu presented the State annual budget for 2017-18 in the legislative assembly.
The total size of the budget was pegged at over Rs 1,02,329 crore for the fiscal year 2017-18.
The proposal comprises 21.88 per cent as capital expenditure of Rs 22,393.51 crore and 78.12 per cent as revenue expenditure of Rs 79,935.84 crore.
5. Global rating agency Fitch said Indian economy will grow by 7.1 per cent in the current fiscal before stepping up to 7.7 per cent in the next two financial years.
6. State Bank of India has launched a new policy Work from Home to enable its employees to work from home.
The policy enable its employees to work while at home using mobile devices to address any urgent requirement they may have, that prevents their travelling to work.
7. The Pension Fund and Regulatory Development Authority (PFRDA) unveiled certain rules for transfer of funds from recognized provident and superannuation funds to the National Pension System (NPS).
As per the rules of PFRDA, funds transferred from Provident Fund to the National Pension System will not be taxable.
8. Chief minister Vasundhara Raje presented Rajasthan Budget 2017. Few of the points of the Budget are.
No change in VAT except 15% increase on tobacco products.
Home department to get Rs 5,600 crore which is 11.80% more than the previous year.
Rs. 158.63 crore allocated for art, culture and archaeology department which is 49.42% more than the Revised Estimates of 2016-17.
Rs. 2 crore allocated for 25 lac bigger plants, provision of Rs. 3 crore for development of 5 Smriti Van.
Rs 1,399 crore allotted for higher education in the budget, Karauli and Bharatpur will get new engineering colleges.
9. Karur Vysya Bank (KVB) launched three technology services for the benefit of customers, FASTag, United Payments Interface (UPI), Bharat Bill Payment System (BBPS).
10. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will soon issue new Rs.10 currency notes with enhanced security features, the old notes will still be valid.
RBI will shortly issue Rs.10 denomination banknotes in the Mahatma Gandhi Series-2005 with inset letter ‘L’ in both the number panels, bearing the signature of Dr. Urjit R. Patel, and the year of printing ‘2017.
11. The Employees’ Provident Fund Organization extended the last date for submission of digital life certificate through Jeevan Pramaan Patra (JPP) up to 31st March 2017 under Employees’ Pension Scheme (EPS).
Earlier the last date was 28th February 2017.
12. Delhi State Finance Minister, Manish Sisodia presented the State annual budget for the period 2017-18 in the state’s legislative assembly.
The budget has been proposed at 48000 crores, which is 16.5 per cent higher than the Revised Estimates of ₹41200 crores in 2016-17.
The Outcome Budget will be put up on the Delhi government’s website by 31st March 2017.
13. ICICI Bank topped the list of banks that witnessed the most number of frauds during April-December period of 2016 with state-owned SBI Bank at the second spot.
During the first nine months of the current fiscal, as many as 455 fraud cases involving Rs 1 lakh and above were detected in ICICI Bank, closely followed by SBI (429), Standard Chartered (244) and HDFC Bank (237).
14. All restrictions on cash withdrawal from savings bank account have been removed from 13th March 2017.
Earlier the RBI had issued a notification saying that the withdrawal limit of cash from savings bank accounts will be relaxed to Rs. 50,000 from 20th February.
15. Korea’s Hyundai Engineering Co. has signed a deal worth 3 billion euros (USD 3.2 billion) with an Iranian investment fund to invest in a major Iranian oil project.
The agreement covers construction of the second phase of the Kangan Petro Refining Complex in southwest Bushehr province of Iran.
Hyundai Engineering plans to invest 3.1 billion euros which is 95 percent of the overall project cost.
16. Airtel Payments Bank, offered by telecom major Bharti Airtel, announced that over one lakh savings accounts were opened in 100 villages across Tamil Nadu.
Through the initiative, the villages would have access to banking services along with the option of making digital payments.
17. Retail inflation based on wholesale prices shot up to 39-month high of 6.55 per cent in February 2017.
The rise is due to on the back of costlier petrol, diesel and LPG and food goods such as sugar, fruits and cereals.
18. State Bank of India (SBI) announced a one-time tractor loan settlement scheme worth Rs.6,000 crore primarily for tractors.
One Time Settlement (OTS) announced for #Agriculture #Loans! Scheme valid until 31st March 2017.
19. SEBI has allowed celebrities to endorse mutual fund products at the industry level purpose of increasing awareness of mutual funds as a financial product category.
20. State Bank of India is planning to convert its branch operation in Paris into a representative office.
SBI has 199 global offices which include branches, representative offices and subsidiaries, among others.
21. The Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT) has refused to stay Reliance Jio’s free promotional offer.
Reliance Jio had launched the inaugural free voice and data plan in September 2016 and in December 2016, extended till 31st March 2017.
22. The newly-launched ESAF Small Finance Bank will offer interest rates between 5.75 and 9 per cent for term deposits of varying maturities.
For savings deposits, the rates will vary from 6 to 7 per cent, based on the outstanding balance in the account.
Senior citizens will be entitled to an additional 0.05 per cent for term deposits.
23. The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (Unido) plans to double its spend in India this year with a sharp focus to develop sustainable cities.
This will help in linking Indian cities to international city networks.
It is targeted to five cities across the country — Bhopal, Vijayawada, Guntur, Mysore and Jaipur.
24. The government has given its approval to RBI to print currency notes of Rs.10 plastic denominations.
It has been decided to conduct a free trial at five locations across the country.
25. The Union Government has announced that total of 29 lakh debit cards were subjected to malware attack in through ATMs that were connected with the switch of Hitachi.
26. Essar’s Nand Niketan Hazira has become India’s first private sector township to go cashless, using the mobile wallet for performing digital transactions.
Till now around 8,000 prepaid cards have been issued in the Nand Niketan township to the employees, merchants and shop owners operating within its precincts.
27. The World Bank has agreed to provide the loan to develop internal transmission arrangements of the upcoming Rewa Ultra Mega Solar (RUMS) project in Madhya Pradesh.
vIt will provide 25% of the loan amount under its Clean Technology Fund (CTF), where the money will be provided at an interest rate of only 0.25%.
28. E-commerce major Amazon India has come out with a new GST guide programme called the A-Z GST Guide for sellers.
The programme will help the seller to get insights and help related to the goods and services tax (GST).
29. ICICI Bank has launched mobile banking app Mera iMobile to strengthen digitalization drive in the rural region.
Mera iMobile is the only banking app to offer rural banking services namely Kisan Credit Card (KCC), gold loan, loans to SHG and tractor loans.
30. All branches of State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur (SBBJ), State Bank of Hyderabad (SBH), State Bank of Mysore (SBM), State Bank of Patiala (SBP) and State Bank of Travancore (SBT) will function as branches of State Bank of India from 1 April 2017.
31. Russian bank VTB has decided to close its only office in India to cut costs but will continue to work in India.
While closing its office in New Delhi, it saw commodities and investment banking as priority areas for the bank in India.
32. The Indian Government has informed the parliament that there were more than 9,100 wilful defaulters who together owed Rs. 91,155 crore to public sector banks at December-end.
As per reports, Banks declare wilful defaulters as per the norms stipulated by the Reserve Bank of India.
33.The Rs. 3-lakh limit proposed for cash payments in the Budget for 2017-18 has been revised to Rs. 2 lakh as part of an unprecedented 40 amendments to the Finance Bill.
The government also made it mandatory to provide Aadhaar card number while filing the income tax returns.
34. Samsung Electronics launched a mobile payment service Samsung Pay.
It enables consumers to pay for products and services by simply waving their Samsung smartphone near a cash register.
With Samsung Pay, consumers don’t have to swipe a debit or credit card nor dole out their payment information.
35. The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India signed a $350 million loan.
The loan was signed for improving about 1,500 km of major district roads in Madhya Pradesh in line with the State’s Road Development Plan.
The project will involve upgrading roads with concrete pavements and maintain the improved road assets for a period of five years after construction.
36. South Indian Bank has introduced Aadhar-based payment in its UPI mobile application- SIB M-Pay to promote cashless digital transactions.
It enables all bank account holders to send and receive money from their Smartphone without entering the bank account information.
37. The NSE has introduced Futures and Options (F&O) contracts in 15 individual securities.
These stocks will be available for trading from 31st March 2017.
38. The Government of India has officially notified the Third Protocol amending India Singapore Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA).
The third DTAA will come into force from 1st April 2017.
It will provide source- based taxation of capital gains arising from the sale of shares in a company.
39. Microfinance platform Disha plans to launch of its small finance bank (SFB) followed by 30-40 branches.
It will offer products such as gold loans and micro-enterprise loans to rural customers.
40. Paytm is set to become a member of the self-regulatory voluntary organization Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI).
It will be the first e-commerce major to take advertising regulatory body’s membership.
41. Syndicate Bank has digitally inaugurated 40 Ananya transformed branches.
The bank also launched its first micro, small and medium enterprise (MSME) hub in Bengaluru.
The hub is expected to cater to more than 150 branches across the Bengaluru region.
42. Chinese technology major Xiaomi aims to create 20,000 jobs in India in the next three years.
The company is set to launch a new artificial intelligence product in the next six months.
43. State Bank of India will offer zero annual fee credit cards to every account holder who has a balance of Rs 20,000-25,000.
The Bank will not go into customers’ credit history and the card, which will be issued in the name of Unnati, will remain free for four years.
44. Union Government has imposed 10% import duty on wheat and tur dal to protect farmers’ interest amid projection of a record crop this year.
Earlier in December 2016, government had reduced customs duty on wheat to 0 from 10% to boost domestic availability and check retail prices.
45. Kotak Mahindra Bank has launched a new zero balance digital banking account called 811, free of cost which is linked to Aadhaar system.
The 811 account can be opened through the mobile phone using the Aadhaar one time password authentication and an income tax pan number.
It will offer 6% interest per annum.
46. The government has lowered interest rates by 0.1% on small savings instruments from 1st April 2017.
Public Provident Fund at of 7.9%.
Five-Year Senior Citizens Savings Scheme at 8.4%.
Five-Year National Savings Certificate at 7.9%.
Kisan Vikas Patra will come down to 7.6%.
47. Karnataka Bank and SBI Card have launched co-branded credit cards for the customers of Karnataka Bank.
The two banks will launch two variants of the co-branded credit card – Karnataka Bank Platinum SBI Card and Karnataka Bank Simply SAVE SBI Card.
48. Export-Import Bank of India plans to work with African Development Bank on co-financing of projects in Africa over the next 2-3 years.
They also discussed the aspect of getting the recently formed Kukuza Project Development Company (KPDC).
49. The Reserve Bank of India has decided to set up a separate enforcement department.
The purpose is to oversee possible breaches of rules and take punitive actions against those who violate them.
50. Growth of the country’s eight core sectors slipped to an over one-year low of 1% in February 2017.
v This was mainly due to a fall in output of crude oil, natural gas, refinery products, fertilizer and cement.
Bills – New & Amendments
1. Parliament has passed the Maternity Benefits (Amendment) Bill, 2016 to raise maternity leave for working women from 12 weeks to 26 weeks for two surviving children.
It was passed in the Lok Sabha and already has been passed in the Rajya Sabha.
India will be in third position in terms of the number of weeks allowed for maternity leave in the world after Norway (44 weeks) and Canada (50).
2. The Footwear Design and Development Institute (FDDI) Bill, 2017 was introduced the Lok Sabha which intends to declare the FDDI as an Institution of National Importance (INI).
It further seeks to facilitate and promote teaching, training and research in all disciplines relating to design and development of Footwear and leather products.
3. The Inter State River Water Disputes (Amendment) Bill, 2017 was introduced by water resources minister Uma Bharati in Lok Sabha.
The bill proposes a single standing tribunal (with multiple benches) instead of multiple tribunals that exist at present.
4. Lok Sabha passed the Enemy Property (Amendment and Validation) Bill, 2016.
The Bill will replace the ordinance promulgated by the government.
5. The Union Cabinet has approved Indian Institutes of Information Technology (Public- Private Partnership) Bill, 2017 in New Delhi.
The Bill will declare the existing IIITs in PPPS as Institutions of National Importance with powers to award degrees.
The 15 IIITs are: Guwahati, Chittoor, Sonipat, Vadodara, Una, Kottayam, Ranchi, Dharwad, Nagpur & Pune, Kota, Senapati, Tamilnadu Tiruchirappalli, Lucknow, West Bengal.
6. The Union Cabinet has approved the four Goods and Services Tax (GST) related bills. These four Bills are:
The Central Goods and Services Tax Bill, 2017 (CGST Bill).
The Integrated Goods and Services Tax Bill, 2017 (IGST Bill).
The Union Territory Goods and Services Tax Bill, 2017 (UTGST Bill).
The Goods and Services Tax (Compensation to the States) Bill 2017 (The Compensation Bill).
7. Union Cabinet has approved the proposal for amending National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development Act, 1981.
Amendments in Act to increase authorized capital of NABARD from Rs. 5,000 crore to Rs. 30,000 crore.
Transfer of 0.4% equity of RBI in NABARD amounting to Rs. 20 crores to the Union Government.
8. Rajya Sabha has passed the HIV and AIDS (Prevention and Control) Bill, 2014 by voice vote.
The bill includes provisions that ensure equal rights to people afflicted by HIV and AIDS in getting treatment and admission in educational institutions and job.
9. The Union Cabinet has approved the amendment to Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education (RTE) Act, 2009.
The amendment seeks to ensure all teachers to acquire minimum qualifications prescribed by academic authority to extend period for such training for 4 years up to March 2019.
10. The Parliament has passed the Mental Healthcare Bill, 2016 that decriminalizes suicide attempt by mentally ill people.
It guarantees the right to better healthcare for people with mental illness.
11. The Lok Sabha has passed four Goods and Services Tax (GST) Bills.
The Central Goods and Services Tax Bill, 2017.
The Integrated Goods and Services Tax Bill, 2017.
The Union Territory Goods and Services Tax Bill, 2017.
The Goods and Services Tax Bill, 2017 (The Compensation Bill).
12. Gujarat Assembly has passed the Gujarat Animal Preservation (Amendment) Bill, 2017 to amend Gujarat Animal Preservation Act, 1954.
It raises the minimum jail term for illegal ferrying of cows for slaughter from 7 to 10 years against the current provision of 3 to 7 years.
13. Parliament has passed Finance Bill 2017 after Lok Sabha negating all the five amendments made by the Rajya Sabha.
The bill gives effect to the financial proposals of the central government announced in the budget for the financial year 2017-18.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)
1. Google India and Telangana government have signed a MoU aimed at supporting the digitization efforts of the state.
Google India will provide Google Cloud credits and access to all cloud platform products to eligible startups engaged with Telangana government’s T-Hub initiative.
2. The Union Cabinet approved the signing of MoU between India and the United Nations Entity of Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN-Women).
The MoU seeks to provide technical support to the Ministry of Panchayati Raj to better leverage opportunities created for gender equality through legislation, policies and programmes.
3. The Union Cabinet approved MoU between India and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in the field of energy efficiency services.
The MoU paves the way for collaboration between the National Productivity Council (NPC) and Al Etihad Energy Services UAE in the field of energy management and conservation.
4. India and Belgium has signed a protocol in New Delhi.
The protocol will amend the existing agreement and protocol between the two countries for Avoidance of Double Taxation and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with respect to Taxes on Income.
The signed protocol will help the Union Government in its fight against the black money that is stashed in the offshore accounts.
5. State Bank of India and CREDAI have signed a MoU to jointly conduct various initiatives towards development of the realty sector for 3 years.
Each of them will leverage their individual strengths and collaborate in areas to promote housing for all, which will be beneficial to the sector.
6. The Union cabinet approved revised MoU between India and Bangladesh for establishing Border Haats.
The Revised MoU and Mode of Operation will provide a legal framework for establishment and operationalization of additional border haats.
7. Chennai Port Trust and the Government of Puducherry has signed MoU for handling EXIM cargo originating from Puducherry Port hinterland.
The MoU was signed to promote industrial growth in the region, generate substantial employment and attract investment by major industries.
Around 5 Lakh to 10 Lakh tonnes of cargo is expected to be handled between these two ports.
8. China and Saudi Arabia have signed an MoUs and letters of intent (LoIs) potentially worth about $65 billion.
Saudi Arabia also has sought to boost oil sales to China, the world’s second-largest oil market as it lost its market share to Russia in 2016.
9. State-owned ONGC has signed definitive agreements to buy out debt-ridden GSPC’s entire 80% in KG basin natural gas block for $1.2 billion.
ONGC will pay $995.26 million for three discoveries in the KG-OSN-2001/3 block that are under trial production since August 2014.
10. India and Mauritius have signed a MoU to execute a USD 20 million social housing project in Mauritius.
As per the MoU, the NBCC (India) Limited will undertake construction of 700 duplex type houses with 50 square meters’ net floor area.
11. A MoU was signed between Assam government and State bank of India in Dispur.
The MoU has been signed for providing loans for Housing & Higher Education Loan to the State Government Employees at the very nominal rate of interest.
12.Vijaya Bank has signed a memorandum of understanding with Piaggio Vehicles.
The MoU was signed for providing financial support for the purchase of vehicles under Small Road Transport Operators (SRTO) scheme in Bengaluru.
13. India and Nepal have signed an agreement to renew the supply of petroleum to Nepal for five years.
The renewed MoU was signed between IOCL and NOC.
With this renewal, IOCL will supply about 1.3 million tonnes of fuel annually to Nepal with a promise to double the volume by 2020.
14. Bharat Dynamics Ltd (BDL) has signed a memorandum of understanding with L & T.
The MoU was signed to export Torpedoes (LWT-XP) designed and developed by NSTL.
15. India signed loan agreement with the New Development Bank (NDB) of USD 350 million.
The project is aimed at upgradation of major district roads in the state of Madhya Pradesh.
The time allotted for the project implementation is 5 years.
Science & Technology
1. The Hubble Space Telescope (HST) has captured an image of an incredibly massive galaxy dubbed as UGC 12591 that is 400 million light years away from the Earth.
It is situated in the westernmost region of the Pisces-Perseus Supercluster, one of the largest known structures in the cosmos.
2. The European Union (EU) launched the fifth Satellite of the Copernicus observation program from Europe’s spaceport in French Guiana.
The Sentinel-2B satellite is a part of Sentinel Earth observation satellites, a system of satellites that monitors Earth.
It will cut the time of imaging the earth by half and will ensure speedy provision of images of land, oceans and waterways.
3. India will organize its first Mobile World Congress in September with a special focus on reaching out to the South East Asian markets.
There is Mobile World Congress in Barcelona and an edition in Shanghai.
4. The World’s first fluorescent frog, which glows bright green under UV light, has been found in Argentina.
Researchers stumbled upon the bizarre creature by accident while studying the skin pigments of polka-dot tree frogs in the Amazon.
5. A group of scientists stated in a study that rapid loss of Arctic sea ice in recent decades is partly driven by natural swings.
The research indicates that a shift in wind patterns is responsible for about 60% of sea ice loss in the Arctic Ocean since 1979.
6. SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket successfully launched EchoStar 23 communications satellite into a high-altitude orbit.
The EchoStar 23 satellite will provide broadcast satellite services alongside EchoStar’s 25 other satellites.
7. Scientists from US have developed a blood test to accurately predict whether a child has autism spectrum disorder (ASD).
It is estimated to affect about 1.5% of individuals.
8. Pakistan Navy successful tested new land-based anti-ship missile from the coastal region.
The missile is equipped with advanced technology and avionics, which enable engagement of targets at sea with a high degree of accuracy.
9. Japan has launched a new satellite to track land and maritime movements in North Korea.
The satellite will also be able to conduct surveys on the weapons program of the secretive nuclear-armed state.
10. Scientists using Large Hadron Collider accelerator (LHC) at CERN have discovered a new system of five particles all in a single analysis.
According to the standard convention, these particle states were named Oc (3000)0, Oc (3050)0, Oc (3066)0, Oc (3090)0 b Oc (3119)0.
11. Scientists have developed a new wireless Internet network based on infrared rays that are reportedly 100 times faster than existing Wi-Fi (Wireless Fidelity) networks.
It has a huge capacity, more than 40 Gigabits per second (Gbit/s).
12. NASA has developed the world’s first next-generation atomic clock called Deep Space Atomic Clock for deep space missions.
The clock will help in the navigation of the space crafts and astronauts.
13. ISRO has commissioned the world’s third-largest hypersonic wind tunnel at Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
In this regard, ISRO chairman A S Kiran Kumar commissioned two facilities- a 1-m Hypersonic Wind Tunnel and a 1-m Shock Tunnel.
14. Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk has launched a startup called
The purpose will be to build devices that could be implanted in human brain to keep pace with the growing use of artificial intelligence in the electronic systems.
15. The Indian Navy has de-inducted TU142M Long Range Maritime Patrol aircraft.
The aircraft was formally de-inducted at a ceremony held at INS Rajali naval air station in Arakkonam, Tamil Nadu.
16. American astronaut Peggy Whitson made history by making her eighth career spacewalk outside the International Space Station.
She broke the record of seven previously held by American Sunita Williams.
17. INLCU L51 was commissioned into the Indian Navy by Vice Admiral Bimal Verma, Commander-in-Chief, Andaman and Nicobar Command at Port Blair.
It is First of the Eight ships of the LCU Mk IV Class and has been built by M/s Garden Reach Ship Builders & Engineers Ltd, Kolkata.
18. National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) has increased price of stents by around 2% after taking into account wholesale price index.
[glyphicon type=”play”] It will increase price of bare metal stents to Rs. 7,400 from Rs. 7,260 and of drug-eluting stent to Rs. 30,180 from Rs. 29,600.
1. 2nd march is celebrated as Read Cross America day every year.
However, if it falls on a weekend, it is observed in the school systems on the school day closest to March 2nd.
This day is a motivational and awareness day, calling all children and youth in every community across the United States to celebrate reading.
2. The World Wildlife Day was observed across the world on 3 March 2017.
The theme of 2017 is Listen to the young voices.
The day is seen as an opportunity to celebrate the many beautiful and varied forms of wild fauna and flora.
3. 8th March is celebrated as International Women’s Day, an event held around the world to commemorate the struggle for women’s rights.
It was first celebrated on 28th February 1909, in New York in remembrance of a 1908 strike of the International Ladies’ Garment Workers’ Union.
The 2017 theme is “Be bold for change”.
4. World Consumer Rights Day is observed on 15th March every year in order to get consumer issues noticed across the world.
World Consumer Rights Day (WCRD) is an opportunity to promote the basic rights of all consumers.
The theme for World Consumer Rights Day 2017 is Building a Digital World Consumers Can Trust.
5. International day of Happiness is celebrated every year on 20th March to recognize happiness as a fundamental human goal.
It was established by the United Nations General Assembly on 28th June 2012.
6. The World Poetry Day is celebrated on 21st March every year.
The objective behind the day is to support linguistic diversity through poetic expression.
The day also provides the occasion to honor poets, promote the reading, writing of poetry.
7. International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination is observed on 21st March every year to remind people the negative consequences of racial discrimination.
The 2017 theme is Racial profiling and incitement to hatred, including in the context of migration.
8. The International Day of Forests is celebrated every year on 21st March.
The objective is to raise awareness of the importance of all types of forests, and trees outside forests, for the benefit of current and future generations.
The theme for 2017 is Forests and Energy.
9. World Water Day is an annual event celebrated on 22nd March.
The day focuses attention on the importance of universal access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene facilities in developing countries.
The theme for the year 2017 is Wastewater.
10. World Meteorological Day is organized every year by World Meteorological Organization on 23rd March.
The theme for 2017 is Understanding Clouds, highlights the importance of clouds for weather climate and water.
11. 23rd March 2017 is celebrated as the 86th Martyrdom Day of Bhagat Singh.
On this day, Indians pay homage to three martyrs who sacrificed their lives for the country-Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev Thapar, Shivaram Rajguru.
12. World Tuberculosis Day is observed on 24th March each year.
It is designed to build public awareness about the global epidemic of tuberculosis (TB) and efforts to eliminate the disease.
The theme of 2017 is Unite to End TB.
13. The International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade was observed globally on 25 March 2017.
The theme for 2017 is -Remember Slavery: Recognizing the Legacy and Contributions of People of African Descent.
The theme highlights the persistent spirit and innovation of the enslaved people.
14. World Theatre Day is celebrated every year on 27th March every year to celebrate performing arts.
It is organized by the International Theatre Institute (ITI) and the International theatre community.
Recent Notable Deaths
1. Thomas E Starzl, a surgeon who performed the first successful liver transplant on a human patient, passed away in Pittsburgh. He was 90.
He had been affiliated with the university since 1981.
2. Eminent socialist leader, former Union Minister and former Speaker of Lok Sabha Rabi Ray passed away in Cuttack. He was 91.
He was first elected to the Lok Sabha in 1967, from the Puri parliamentary constituency, and was the leader of the Samyukta Socialist Party in the Lok Sabha.
3. Veteran journalist Arvind Padmanabhan, Executive Editor at IANS, died of cardiac arrest.
Padmanabhan, who would have turned 50 next month, breathed his last at the Holy Family Hospital.
4. Malayalam film director Diphan also known as Deepan passed away following liver cirrhosis and kidney failure in a private hospital at Kochi. He was 47.
Diphan is known for his films namely Puthiya Mukham, Hero and SIM.
5. Chuck Berry, who defined rock ’n’ roll’s potential and attitude in its early years, died at his home near Wentzville, Mo. He was 90.
His famous songs include Johnny B. Goode and Roll Over Beethoven
6. Former IAS officer and Rajya Sabha member Pyarimohan Mohapatra passed away in Mumbai after a prolonged illness. He was 77.
He is regarded as the chief strategist and mentor of Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik.
7. Noted Tamil litterateur Asokamitran passed away after a brief illness, aged 85.
He won Sahitya Academy Awards for his work Appavin Snegithargal in 1996.
8. Renowned playwright and Sahitya Akademi Award winner Arun Sharma has died after a brief illness.
He has written more than 50 plays and books in his career.
He also won a number of awards, including Padma Shri, Sahitya Academy and Assam Valley Literary.
9. South Africa’s revered Indian-origin anti-apartheid activist Ahmed Kathrada passed away.
He was one of Nelson Mandela’s closest aides in his struggle to end the white minority rule.
10. Eminent jurist and senior advocate T R Andhyarujina passed away in Mumbai.
He also served as Solicitor General during 1996-98 as a part of the team of constitutional law expert H M Seervai in his initial days.
11. Former Punjab minister and senior Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) leader Gurdev Singh Badal passed away after prolonged illness.
He had represented Panjgrain and Jaito assembly seats in the past.
12. Gilbert Baker, best known for creating the rainbow flag representing gay rights has died.
He came up with the eight-colored banner for San Francisco’s 1978 Gay Freedom Day, which later became the Pride festival.
It would later be reduced to six stripes, removing pink and indigo, and swapping blue for turquoise.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
Image Courtesy: Google Images