Read Current Affairs of last month online, all summarized well into one digest GK Eduwrap. Also, covering all the latest questions of General Knowledge asked in General Awareness for Bank PO.
Choose the Section You’d like to Read – Use these links!
|Science & Technology Events|
|Awards & Honours List|
|Appointments GK Updates|
|Recent Deaths Updates||
To get the Monthly Current Affairs & GK Eduwrap in PDF Format, please click the button below -
National Current Affairs | Access the Latest Happenings across India
1. India’s military is placed at 4th rank among 133 countries on a global index on the basis of their global military prowess.
The US, Russia and China are on top three positions respectively.
India’s neighbour Pakistan ranks 13 on the Global Fire Power (GFP) list 2017.
2. A large-scale operational exercise Paschim Leher was conducted by the Western Naval Command of the Indian Navy in the Arabian Sea.
The three-week long exercise tested the operational readiness of the Western Naval Command and the execution of its operational plans.
3. The Odisha government has launched a scheme named “Khushi” to provide free sanitary napkins to school girls across the state, as a part of its initiatives to empower women.
Under the scheme, the state will provide free sanitary napkins to 17 lakh girls studying in Classes 6 to 12 in government and government-aided schools.
4. The first phase of world’s largest solar park Shakti Sthala was inaugurated in Tumkur district, Karnataka.
The solar park aims to generate 100 GigaWatts (GW) of solar power by 2020.
5. To create eight safe cities in India, the Union Ministry of Women and Child Development has approved projects worth INR 2,919 crore under Nirbhaya Fund.
The safe cities to be created are Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Ahmedabad, Kolkata, Bengaluru, Hyderabad and Lucknow.
6. The headquarters of Animal Welfare Board of India (AWBI) has been shifted from Chennai to Ballabhgarh in Faridabad District of Haryana.
It was shifted for better coordination between the Environment Ministry and AWBI for carrying out the animal welfare activities.
7. The Airports Authority of India (AAI) has participated in World ATM Congress (WATMC) 2018 held at IFEMA, Feria de Madrid, Spain.
World ATM Congress is the world’s largest international Air Traffic Management (ATM) exhibition and conference.
The AAI showcases its achievements and initiatives, through a stall at the conference.
8. The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation has organized a Women’s Convention called Swachh Shakti 2018 at Lucknow on International Women’s Day.
8000 women sarpanches, 3000 women Swachh grahis, 2000 Mahila samakhyas from Uttar Pradesh and women sarpanches from across the country have been invited to recognize their outstanding contribution towards making Swachh Bharat a reality in rural India.
9. The Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) launched a portal for women entrepreneurs of India that is www.udyamsakhi.org, on the occasion of International Women’s Day.
The portal is a network for nurturing entrepreneurship and creating business models for low-cost products and services in order to empower women and make them self-reliant and self-sufficient.
10. The Indian Navy began an eight-day-long mega naval exercise named Milan along with leading maritime powers of the region at the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
28 warships including 17 from India and 11 from Australia, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Singapore, Sri Lanka and Thailand are participating in the 10th exercise.
11. The harnessing of solar energy has made Diu the country’s first energy surplus Union territory and a model for an effective way for people to harness this renewable energy source.
Diu generates a total of 13 megawatts of electricity from solar power generating facilities daily.
Around 3 MW is generated by rooftop solar plants and 10 MW by its other solar power plants.
12. President Ram Nath Kovind presented Nari Shakti Puraskars 2017 to 30 eminent individuals and 9 distinguished institutions at a special ceremony held on the occasion of International Women’s Day.
The Nari Shakti Puraskars are given in recognition of efforts in rendering distinguished service for the cause of women, especially vulnerable and marginalized women.
13. The Union Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers has launched a 100% Oxo-biodegradable Sanitary Napkin named Suvidha, under Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Jan Aushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP).
It was launched by Union Minister for Chemicals & Fertilizers and Parliamentary Affairs Ananth Kumar on the occasion of International Woman’s day.
14. The Ministry of Civil Aviation and Airport Authority of India and FICCI has jointly organized a four-day biennial event WINGS INDIA 2018 in Hyderabad.
This event is a platform for interactions, forging alliances, investments and air connectivity between the States and the global aviation players & stakeholders.
The theme of the four-day biennial event this year is ‘India-Global Aviation Hub’.
15. In terms of utilizing funds under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) and allotting jobs, West Bengal has become the best performing State.
According to the statistics, West Bengal generated more than 28.21 crore work days under the scheme so far in 2017-18 and spent more than INR 7,335.31 crore for it.
Tamil Nadu occupied the second spot with 22.17 crore work days and spent INR 5,981.75 crore on that.
16. Tata Motors and Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL) have begun the country’s first demonstration trials for a hydrogen fuel cell bus.
The project is being executed under partial financial support from the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR) and Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE).
17. According to a survey conducted by Janaagraha Centre for Citizenship and Democracy, Pune has emerged as the top city to show improvement in the quality of governance.
The other cities that came in the top five are Kolkata, Thiruvananthapuram, Bhubaneswar and Surat.
18. Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has launched a program ‘LaQshya’ to improve quality of care for pregnant women in labour room and maternity Operation Theatre, Intensive Care Units (ICUs) and High Dependency Units (HDUs).
The program will benefit every pregnant woman and new-born delivering in public health institutions.
‘LaQshya’ will reduce maternal and newborn morbidity & mortality and improve quality of care during delivery and immediate post-partum period and also enhance the satisfaction of beneficiaries to provide Respectful Maternity Care (RMC) to all pregnant women attending public health facilities.
19. The Government of India is going to formulate a Scheme ‘Kisan Urja Suraksha evam Utthaan Mahabhiyan (KUSUM)’ which will provide various facilities to farmers as follows:
Installation of grid-connected solar power plants each of capacity up to 2 MW in the rural areas.
Installation of standalone off-grid solar water pumps to fulfill irrigation needs of farmers not connected to the grid.
Solarization of existing grid-connected agriculture pumps to make farmers independent of grid supply and also enable them to sell surplus solar power generated to DISCOM and get extra income.
Solarization of tube-wells and lift irrigation projects of the Government
20. The Government has proposed Atal Bhujal Yojana (ABHY) aimed at sustainable groundwater management with community participation to detect over-exploited and ground water-stressed areas.
ABHY Yojana will be implemented with assistant of World Bank in seven states that are Gujarat, Haryana, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh.
21. India-United Kingdom (UK) Joint Team has won Newton-Bhabha Fund for the project on Groundwater Arsenic Research in Ganga River Basin.
The project was undertaken by Department of Science and Technology (DST) in collaboration with Natural Environment Research Council (NERC), UK to find solutions to water challenges faced in pervasively arsenic-affected Ganga River Basin.
22. NITI Aayog has released a project named ‘SATH-E’ to introduce System-wide Governance Transformation in School Education.
NITI Aayog released comprehensive roadmaps and detailed timelines for its initiative ‘Sustainable Action for Transforming Human Capital in Education (SATH-E)’ project.
23. 8th Theatre Olympics, the largest international theatre festival was co-hosted in Jaipur, India by National School of Drama (NSD) under the sponsorship of Ministry of Culture in collaboration with Ravindra Manch Society and Art & Culture Department, Rajasthan Government.
The festival will provide a platform to a number of folk art forms and theatre performers from the state.
24. The 5th Nadi Mahotsav held in Hoshangabad
The 5th ‘Nadi Mahotsav’ was inaugurated by the Union Minister of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Nitin Gadkari in Hoshangabad of Madhya Pradesh.
The purpose of the event Nadi Mahotsav was to make the Indian Rivers Rekindle and to improve the living conditions of people across River Banks.
25. Festival of Innovation and Entrepreneurship inaugurated by the President of India
The President of India Shri Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the Festival of Innovation and Entrepreneurship (FINE) and Gandhian Young Technological Innovation Awards (GYTI) at Rashtrapati Bhawan on 19th March 2018.
The aim of this event was to provide support to the innovators for developing their ideas into implementable projects.
The Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India and the National Innovation Foundation (NIF) were the main parts and promoters of this Festival.
26. The World Trade Organization Ministerial Meeting held in New Delhi
Two days’ informal World Trade Organization ministerial meeting was held in New Delhi for re- invigorating the World Trade Organization.
The first meeting was held in 2009 whereas the second meeting is being hosted by India in New Delhi on 18th and 19th March.
27. 5% of the Reservation Seats hiked for Disabled Students in PG Medical Courses
The Health Minister of India increased the seats from 3% to 5% for the PwD students in the Post Graduate Medical Courses.
There are 21 disability conditions under the Rights of the Disabilities Act 2016. The decision is going to benefit all the students under the disabilities Conditions.
28. Free Internet Wi-Fi reveal to the Gujarat Village
The Digital India Revolution is unveiled in Gujarat’s Village named Udwada.
A small village in the Valsad district of Gujarat is picked by the I&B Minister under the Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana.
29. North East Industrial Development Scheme (NEIDS) has been approved by the Cabinet
The necessary allocations for the remaining period is been provided by the Cabinet for the North East Industrial Development Scheme.
NEIDS The Scheme has the financial outlay of INR 30000 Crores upto March 2020.
The necessary allocations for the remaining period will be provided by the government after the assessment before March 2020.
30. The National Health Protection Mission- Ayushman Bharat is approved by the Cabinet.
The newly Central Sponsored Scheme of Cabinet named Ayushman Bharat – National Health Protection Mission (AB- NHPM) is being approved for the launch.
The aim of this scheme is to benefit every Family with 5 lakhs per year.
Based on the SECC Database, the targeted beneficiaries of the proposed scheme will be more than 10 Crore families that belong to the poor and vulnerable population in India.
31. The Cabinet approved the Closure of India Development Foundation of Overseas Indians
The Closure of the Indian Development Foundation of Overseas Indians (IDF-OI) is being approved by the Cabinet Ministers to It will enhance the National Mission for Clean Ganga and Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, the major Government Flagship Programs.
IDF-OI is an autonomous non-profit trust approved by the Government in 2008 and was established for the overseas Indian philanthropy into the social and development projects in India.
32. Ministry of Home Affairs inaugurated the first National Conference on Drug Law Enforcement in New Dellhi.
The two days first National Conference on Drug Law Enforcement is inaugurated by the Minister of Home Affairs, Hansraj Gangaram Ahir in New Delhi.
The Organizer of the Conference was Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) and Ministry of Home Affairs.
The Chief Guest of the Conference was Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh.
33. More than 65182 biogas plants to be setup by MNRE.
The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) has fixed an annual physical target to setup 65180 biogas plants to enhance the clean and Natural Cooking Fuel Source.
The program is under the National Biogas and Manure Management Programme (NBMMP) established by Ministry of Power and New Renewable energy to meet the energy needs of the Rural and Urban parts of the country.
34. The Ministry of Tourism identified the sites for development under the Iconic Tourist Site Project
Some of the major tourism sites has been identified for development by the Ministry of Tourism. The to be developed are-
Taj Mahal (Agra)
Ajanta and Ellora Caves (Maharashtra)
Humayun Tomb, Red Fort and Qutub Minar (New Delhi)
Colva Beach (Goa)
Amer Fort (Rajasthan)
Somnath and Dholavira (Gujarat)
Khajuraho (Madhya Pradesh)
Mahabalipuram (Tamil Nadu)
Mahabodhi Temple (Bihar)
The Union Minister of State for Tourism has given the information for development of 12 sites in the Rajya Sabha.
Catch every single detail about the Indian Monuments & Heritage Sites
35. Campaign to Eradicate Tuberculosis launched by PM Narendra Modi
To eradicate the Tuberculosis (TB) from India by 2025, PM of India Mr. Narendra Modi Launched a campaign.
The Step is being taken by analyzing the situation to cure the Tuberculosis from every part of India.
36. National Conference on Drug Law Enforcement held in Delhi
The growth of Narco- Terrorism has become the serious problem for India. Observing the threat Ministry of Home Affairs, Shri Hansraj Gangaram Ahir inaugurated the two-day National Conference on Drug Law Enforcement in New Delhi.
The Nodal Drug Agency of India, the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) is working on the mission to tackle the drug trafficking by the assistance of other agencies of the World.
37. India’s 5th Maize Summit held at New Delhi
Union Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh inaugurated the India’s 5th Maize Summit 2018 at FICCI (Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry) New Delhi.
The aim of the summit was to bring the entire Maize Fraternity at a single platform to explore the various opportunities of Agro Marketing in India.
India is among the top Exporters of Maize around the World still the Use of Maize in India is only 25%.
38. 90 Stations in Indian Railways encompassed in the World Class transit hub.
For Redevelopment and Renovation of Indian Railways, Govt. has taken a healthy step to involve 90 Railway stations of India under world class transit hub.
The step is taken to convert the Indian Railway Stations into the World Class ‘Airport -like’ transit hub that would enhance the International Tourism and Market Value of India.
39. The Foundation of Several Road Projects laid by President of India.
The President of India Shri Ram Nath Kovind laid the foundation of Road Projects of National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) in the Holy City Varanasi.
The aim of this project is to create the Traditional Image and religious soul as well as to enhance the modern development of Varanasi.
The five road projects of the NHAI come under the Skill Development department mission of Indian govt.
40. Face Authentication Features to be introduced by UIDAI from 1st July.
To verify the Aadhar users UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) is set to make face authentication available along with Finger Print and iris scan.
The step is taken to solve the problems of people who face problems in Aadhar Authentication due to old age and worn out fingers due to hard work.
41. World’s longest sandstone cave discovered in India.
The World’s longest sandstone cave named Krem Puri has been discovered near a small village in Mawsynram area in Meghalaya (India).
The cave is observed to be very complex hidden under the hills with a length of 24,583 meters.
The actual length of the cave was measured by the Meghalaya Adventures’ Association (MAA) after the cave was discovered in 2016.
42. Rhino Census at world heritage site Kaziranga National Park begins in Assam.
The park is divided into 74 compartments and nearly 350 enumerators, wildlife experts and Forest officials are working on this project.
The Result of the 2018 survey is going to be displayed soon whereas there were 2401 Rhinos found at the Kaziranga National Park as per 2015 Report.
43. Wireless Power Project succeed in Varanasi
After the 71 years of Independence, Varanasi has now freed from the overhead power cables as the underground lines in Varanasi has been completed.
The Integrated power development scheme (IPDS) is the underground Electricity line project under Power Grid Company of India.
44. Surat -The 1st District to have 100 % Solar Powered Health Centers.
Surat has emerged as the 1st District to have 100 % Solar Powered Primary Health Center in the Country.
The State has 52 Public Health Centers (PHC) and now all of them are Solar Powered.
Gujarat has set a milestone to be covered by other states for decreasing the global Warming and Electricity Consumptions up to 40%.
45. ‘National Conference for Down Syndrome’ held in the Capital
Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has organized a ‘National Conference on Down Syndrome’ (NCDS) in New Delhi.
‘Twilight Children’ Book based on the lives of people suffering from Down Syndrome was released.
The purpose of this event was to create the positive change and hope among the people suffering from Down Syndrome. All the Knowledge regarding Down Syndrome beneficial to the people was provided.
46. National Academic Depository (NAD) launched for Digitalization of School records.
A 24*7 Online System named National Academic Depository (NAD) is setup by the government to preserve the School/ Academics data and Documents Online Safely.
The Authority of this program is under UGC (University Grant Commission).
The Chief Guest of the Conference was Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh.
47. First Insect Museum Opened in Tamil Nadu
India’s first Insect Museum is opened in Tamil Nadu at the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Palaniswamy.
The Museum is first of its kind in India with 6691 sqft area whereas the lobby of the museum depicts the theme ‘Bugs are Kings’.
The museum is completely dedicated to the growth of Insects with different types of Bee Hives and termite mounds.
48. Around 1 Lakh Toilet to be constructed by Assam Government under ‘Mission Sambhav’
A special program named Mission Sambhav is to be launched by the Assam govt to make across 1 lakh toilets under Swachh Bharat Mission.
‘Mission Sambhav’ means Mission Possible named after the target to complete the given task within 10 days to make state Open Defection Free (ODF) DURING 2018.
49. Gujarat govt. to setup 100 Mld Sea Water Desalination Plants
Gujarat CM Vijay Rupani announced to setup a Water Distillation Plant in Jodiya town of Jamnagar district.
The Capacity of the distillation plant would be 100 million litre water per day.
50. International Yachting Festival inaugurated by Andhra Chief Minister
The CM of Andhra Pradesh N. Chandrababu Naidu in Vishakhapatnam inaugurate international yachting festivals.
The purpose of organizing the festival is to develop the sea tourism in Visakhapatnam.
51. Madhya Pradesh Govt. to raise the retirement age for govt. employees
Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh Shivraj Singh Chouhan has declared the raising of retirement age of state Govt. employees by 2 years from the current age of 60 years.
The proposal is declared for more than 5 lakh govt employees in the State.
52. World’s largest event- Smart India Hackathon 2018 in New Delhi
Prakash Javdekar, Minister of Human Resource Development launched the two-day grand finale of Smart India Hackathon 2018 (Software Edition).
The event is going to be held at 28 nodal centers whereas more than 1 lakh students from 1200 colleges are going to participate.
International Current Affairs | Know What’s happening around the World
1. The Marshall Islands in the Pacific Ocean is going to become the first country in the world to recognize cryptocurrency as its legal tender and adopt the transparent crypto monetary system.
The parliament of the island has passed a law to create the digital currency called Sovereign with symbol SOV to raise some hard cash to pay bills and boost the economy.
2. Iraq has become India’s top crude oil supplier after overtaking Saudi Arabia by supplying 38.9 Million Tons (MT) crude oil in the current financial year.
3. China has decided to abolish the term limit of the president and vice president that how long its leader can serve. It will allow current President Xi to serve the country indefinitely.
Until now, presidents had been limited to two consecutive terms.
4. The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the World Hindi Secretariat building on the third day of his visit to Mauritius.
He also launched the World Hindi Secretariat’s logo and a large ENT hospital being built with Indian assistance.
Apart from India, Mauritius is the only country where this conference is being hosted for the third.
5. The Philippines to withdraw from International Criminal Court
Philippines is going to withdraw from the International Criminal Court (ICC) according to the sources.
The President of Philippines Rodrigo Duterte is being accused to uplift the extrajudicial killings. Whereas, to get the country rid of Drugs since 2016, other rights are abused in his bid.
Thousands of people died since his leadership by the Unidentified Gunman and Local Police.
6. Scandal tainted the Mauritius President
Mauritius President Ammenah Gurib Fakim is being accused of being in the scandal in overuse of the Credit Card to buy the Luxurious Items for Personal Use.
The resignation took place in the National Interest by Africa’s female head of State Gurib Fakim on 23 March 2018.
7. India and UAE to hold on Joint Naval Exercise
UAE and India are going to hold on the joint Naval Exercise named “Gulf Star 1” to enhance the bilateral ties between the two powers-
The Joint exercise is the policy to develop a strong bond between the countries and to strengthen the bilateral Defense Cooperation.
The UAE Ships and Indian Ships INS Gomati and INS Kolkata are going to participate in this exercise for the Sea Phase. The Indian Ships arrived at the Port Zayed for the Harbour Phase.
8. G20 Ministerial Meeting held at Buenos Aires
The finance ministers and the central bank governors began the first G20 meeting in the Buenos Aires.
The meeting held in Buenos Aires is the first phase of the five meetings to be held before Argentina hosts the G20 Summit from 30th November to 1st December.
9. India and Japan together are going to cope with disasters
The most disaster facing country in the world Japan is going to help India from future calamities as they are doing Joint Workshop on Disaster Risk Reduction.
The Two-Day Workshop held in New Delhi started on 19th March between experts to discuss the Disaster Risk Reduction Risk.
10. Vienna became the place of most livable city in the World for the ninth year
Vienna, the Capital of Austria is named as the world’s best city to live in the ninth consecutive year.
According to the survey of Mercer’s 20th Annual Quality of Living, Vienna topped among the 231 major metropolises and examining factors such as healthcare, education, public services, crime, recreation, housing and individual freedom.
Baghdad, the Capital of Iraq is termed as the most worst place to live in this world.
11. The Immigration of Rohingya Refugees is the big concern for UN.
The Immigration of Rohingya Muslims has become the World’s Largest Refugee Crisis with tens of thousands of people migrating from land and sea route to other countries from Myanmar.
The United Nations has issued a 951 million Dollar appeal to fulfill the needs of the 9 lacs Rohingya Immigrants in Bangladesh.
12. Earth Hour being observed
24th March was observed as the International Earth Hour Day organized by World Wildlife Fund for Nature (WWF).
To save the electricity and as the commitment to the planet, individuals, business and communities organize every year Earth Hour to turn off the lights for one hour (From 8.30 to 9.30 pm) at the end of March.
13. India & Egypt met in New Delhi to enhance the progress on different prospectus
India and Egypt meeting held in New Delhi for the progress in the areas of trade & Investment, political, Cyber Security, Building, Space & Culture.
The meeting was held in between the Board Members of Ministry of External Affairs of India and Egyptian Foreign Ministers.
14. World’s Largest Cruise Ship Sets Sail in France
‘Symphony of the Seas’-World’s Largest Cruise Ship has begun its modern voyage in the Mediterranean Sea.
The Ship is 362 meters long, 228,000 tons in weight and just 20 meters shy of the length of the Empire State Building.
The Cruiser Ship is even bigger than the ‘Harmony of the Seas’ a France Cruiser Ship delivered to the Caribbean in 2016.
15. India and Chinas Group meeting held in New Delhi
Indian and Chinese economic group boards have attended a meeting in New Delhi.
The purpose of the meeting is to boost the trade and reduce the trade deficit between India and China
Suresh Prabhu, Commerce and Industry Minister and Chinese counterpart, Zhong Shan and other senior officials of both the countries were present at the meeting.
From last few years, India has raised the issue of heavy trade balance with China to increase the Indian Exports under Agricultural and Pharmaceutical Products.
16. China is selling Missile Technology to Pakistan as per Reports
China is supporting Pakistan in forming the tracking and Missile system as many Chinese Experts spent more than 2 months in Pakistan.
China is emerging as the World Power and to become a helping hand for Pakistan is a serious International Issue.
China is having the biggest army in the World with 22 Lakh Personnel whereas India stands on the Second Position in Army Size followed by USA, North Korea and Russia.
17. The finance ministers and the central bank governors began the first G20 meeting in the Buenos Aires.
The meeting held in Buenos Aires is the first phase of the five meetings to be held before Argentina hosts the G20 Summit from 30th November to 1st December.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) | Get the Best Information Out of Top Agreements
1. India has signed various MoUs with Jordan during the visit of the King of Jordan to India. List of the MoUs is given below.
MoU on Defence Cooperation.
Visa waiver for diplomatic and official passport holders.
Cultural Exchange Programme (CEP).
Manpower Cooperation Agreement.
MoU for cooperation in the field of Health and Medicine between India and Jordan.
MoU for setting up of the next generation Centre of Excellence (COE) in Jordan.
MoU for long-term supply of Rock Phosphate and Fertilizer/NPK.
Customs Mutual Assistance Agreement.
Twining Agreement between Agra and Petra (Jordan).
Cooperation between Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC) and Jordan Media.Institute (JMI).
MoU between Prasar Bharati and Jordan TV.
MoU between University of Jordan (UJ) and ICCR regarding setting up of a Hindi Chair at the University.
2. Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) signed an MoU with the Airports Authority of India (AAI) for installing energy-efficient LED lights at airports, buildings and facilities owned by AAI across India.
EESL will make the entire upfront investment of INR 24.41 crore on the project.
The MoU is signed under the Buildings Energy Efficiency Programme (BEEP).
3. The Maharashtra government has tied up with Wikipedia to propagate the Marathi language and increase its online usage.
The state government made its announcement via a press release to declare March 1 as Marathi Language Day.
The agreement will help spreading the language across the globe and give Marathi-speaking people a single platform to interact.
4. The President of Vietnam signed some agreements with India in Economic, Agricultural and Nuclear field. List of Agreements signed during the visit of President of Vietnam to India.
MoU on Economic and Trade Cooperation.
Work Plan for the years 2018-2022 between the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) and Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development of Vietnam.
MoU on Cooperation between the Global Centre for Nuclear Energy Partnership, India (GCNEP) and the Vietnam Atomic Energy Institute (VINATOM).
5. India, Bangladesh and Russia have signed a tripartite memorandum of understanding for cooperation in construction of Rooppur nuclear power plant near Dhaka, Bangladesh.
6. The Union Cabinet has approved the signing of an MoU between Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) and Public Service Commission of Mauritius.
The MoU will strengthen the existing relationship between UPSC and Public Service Commission of Mauritius.
It will enable sharing of experience and expertise of both the parties in the area of recruitment.
The MoU will develop institutionalized linkage between the Public Service Commissions of two countries.
7. President of France, Emmanuel Macron has signed various agreements during the visit to India. The list of agreements between France and India is given below:
Agreement on the Prevention of Illicit Consumption and Reduction of Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs, Psychotropic Substances and Chemical Precursors and Related Offences.
Migration and Mobility Partnership Agreement.
Agreement to facilitate Mutual Recognition of Academic Qualifications.
MoU between Ministry of Railways and SNCF Motilities, France on technical cooperation in the field of Railways.
Letter of Intent for the creation of a permanent Indo-French Railways Forum.
Agreement regarding the provision of reciprocal logistics support between their Armed Forces.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and France on cooperation in the field of Environment.
Agreement on cooperation in the field of Sustainable Urban Development.
Agreement regarding the exchange and reciprocal protection of classified or protected information.
Implementing Arrangement between Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) and Central National D’Etudes Spatiales (CNES) for pre-formulation studies of a Maritime Awareness Mission.
Industrial Way Forward Agreement between Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd, and EDF, France.
Bilateral Arrangement on cooperation in the matter of Hydrography and Maritime Cartography.
Credit Facility Agreement of Euros 100 million for funding of the Smart City Projects through a Challenge Process.
MoU between National Institute of Solar Energy (NISE), Ministry of New & Renewable Energy and the National Solar Energy Institute (INES), France.
8. European Investment Bank (EIB) and Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency (IREDA) Ltd. have signed a loan agreement for the second line of credit (LoC) of Euro 150 million on the non-sovereign.
The line of credit will be used for financing Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency projects in India.
More than 1.1 million households are expected to benefit from clean energy produced with these funds.
9. The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) has signed an MoU with Reserve Bank of India for increased cooperation in the effective implementation of insolvency law.
The MoU will help in sharing of information, subject to limitations imposed by applicable laws and sharing of resources available with each other to the extent feasible and legally permissible.
10. The Union Cabinet has approved an MoU inked between India and Sri Lanka for promoting cooperation in the field of Information Technology and Electronics (IT&E).
The MoU was signed in January 2018 during the visit of Minister of Electronics & Information Technology Ravi Shankar Prasad to Sri Lanka.
11. The Union Cabinet has approved an agreement between India and Iran for Avoidance of Double Taxation and Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with respect to taxes on income.
The agreement will stimulate the flow of investment, technology and personnel from India to Iran & vice versa and prevent double taxation.
12. The Government of India has signed a $120 million loan agreement with Asian Development Bank (ADB) for completion of works for double-tracking and electrification of railways tracks along high-density corridors to improve the operational efficiency of Indian railways.
The loan amount will be used to complete the ongoing works commenced under earlier tranches.
13. The Odisha government will collaborate with Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System (RIMES) for strengthening its early warning services and enhancing preparedness for management of hazards in the state.
The partnership will be forged between Odisha State Disaster Mitigation Authority (OSDMA) and RIMES in the field of drought monitoring and early warning for different natural disasters.
RIMES is already working with the Tamil Nadu State Disaster Management Authority.
14. India and European Union signed an Agreement to share Earth Observation Data
The Emerging powers India and Europe decide to share the observation data on Earth from each other’s satellites.
As per the agreement, The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) and European Space Agency (ESA) would share the information based on Climate Change, ocean, land and Atmosphere monitoring to get monitor the Natural Disasters.
15. Hong Kong and India signs an agreement on Double Taxation Avoidance Treaty
Double taxation avoidance agreement (DTAA) is signed between India and Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) to help curb tax evasion and avoidance as well as to improve the transparency in the tax process.
The MOU is signed by the Indian Ambassador Gautam Bambawale and Hongkong Finance Secretary Paul Chan Mo-Po in Hong Kong.
16. TIFAC (Technology Information, Forecasting & Assessment Council) and ICFRE (Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education) sign an Agreement for Supporting Forest Based Communities
Technology Information, Forecasting & Assessment Council (TIFAC) and Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education (ICFRE) signed an agreement for the betterment of livelihood of the forest-based communities.
The MOU was signed by Dr. Harsh Vardhan in New Delhi in presence of Union Minister of Environment, Earth Science and Technology as well as Forest and Climate Change Board Members.
17. Skill Development MoU signed by the Ministries of Skill Development and Agriculture
The Ministry of Agriculture India and Ministry of Skill Development have signed an agreement for agriculture and another sectors growth.
The Skill development training program is going to be conducted at Krishi Vigyan Kendra by ICAR (Indian Council of Agriculture Research).
The Agreement is beneficial for the Governments Scheme “Kaushal Bharat- Kushal Bharat”.
18. MoU signed between Assam govt. and SBI for providing Educational and Housing loan at subsidized Interest Rates
The Assam Govt. has signed an MoU with State Bank of India (SBI) to provide Housing and Educational loan at subsidized Interest Rates to the employees of Assam State Government.
The state govt. will provide the Subsidy at the rate of Interest 3.50 % for housing and 4% rate of Interest on Education Loan.
The Maximum limit for Housing and High Education loan is INR 15 Lakh & INR 10 Lakh respectively.
19. Indian Railways and Asian Development Bank shakes hand for the Rail Development in India
Dollar 120 Million loan agreement is signed between Indian Government and Asian Development Bank (ADB) for development of Infrastructure and electrification of Railway Tracks.
This is seen as a healthy step for Indian Railways as the program will help to develop the Railway System in Systematic Manner.
20. State Bank of India & IMGC signs an MOU
An MOU is signed between State Bank of India and India Mortgage Guarantee Corporation (IMGC).
The Board has signed an MOU to offer the Mortgage guarantee scheme for self- employed home loan and Non-Salaried loan customers.
The scheme is based on opting the IMGC default guarantee cover to avail higher finance based on risk grade of the borrower.
21. Government E- Market Place & HDFC Bank signs an MoU
To facilitate a host of services to the public procurement portal for Central and State government organizations, Private Bank HDFC and Government E- Market Place has signed an agreement.
As per the agreement, the transparency and efficiency in the procurement process with timely and assured payment to the sellers would get strong.
GeM (Government e- Marketplace) is an online market platform under central and state government that look upon the procurement process of goods and products in efficient and transparent manner.
22. Airport Authority of India and Assam Government Signed an MoU
For Sustainable development of Human Settlements in Village Kamrup of district Assam govt. and Airport Authority of India (AAI) has signed an Agreement.
As per the UNDP (United Nations Development Program) agreement (comma) Airport Authority of India would provide the financial assistance of 4.58 Crore for the Kamrup district for the resilience of groups surviving around Guwahati Airport.
23. India and International Solar Alliance Host an Agreement
The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) and International Solar Alliance (ISA) has signed a Host Country agreement to provide some authority and powers to the ISA.
As per the MoU ISA would be benefitted by the powers to defend legal proceedings, and to acquire and dispose the off movable and immovable properties to institute.
The independent Discharge of ISA is necessary for its proper functioning and enjoy privileges for applicable tax and concessions and immunities.
24. MoU signed between GIFT and Deloitte to promote IFSC Operations
GIFT City and Deloitte Touché Tohmatsu India LLP (DTTI LLP) has signed an MoU to enhance the cooperation’s in areas related to the International Financial Services.
25. Agreement signed between Countries to protect World Largest tropical peatland
To promote better management and conservation of Cuvette Centrale region in Congo Basin the World’s largest tropical peatlands, the Republic of Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Indonesia have signed Brazzaville Declaration.
Tropical Peatlands are the wetlands of Cuvette Centrale region having size equal to England that contains mixture of partially decomposed organic material.
Bills [Amendments & New] – See How Many New Bills have been passed in 2018
1. The Union Cabinet has approved the introduction of Fugitive Economic Offenders Bill, 2018 in Parliament by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley.
The bill aims to curb the practice of evading criminal prosecution by economic offenders (willful defaulters) who flee from country to evade clutches Indian law by remaining outside the jurisdiction of Indian courts.
2. The Union Cabinet has approved the Trafficking of Persons (Prevention, Protection and Rehabilitation) Bill, 2018 for introduction in the Parliament.
The bill addresses the issue of human trafficking from point of view of prevention, rescue and rehabilitation.
3. The Rajasthan Legislative Assembly has passed the Criminal Laws (Rajasthan Amendment) Bill, 2018 providing for death penalty for convicts involved in the rape of girls below 12 years of age.
These amendments say that a person who is convicted of raping/gang-raping a girl up to twelve years of age shall be given a death sentence or rigorous imprisonment, which shall not be less than fourteen years and 20 years, respectively.
4. The Lok Sabha has passed Specific Relief (Amendment) Bill, 2017 to further ease procedures for doing business in the country. The bill seeks to amend the Specific Relief Act, 1963.
It also provides a remedy that aims at the exact fulfillment of an obligation or specific performance of the contract rather than a general relief or compensation or damages.
5. The Lok Sabha has passed Payment of Gratuity (Amendment) Bill, 2017 to empower the government to fix the period of maternity leave and tax-free gratuity amount with an executive order. The bill seeks to amend the Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972.
The bill allows payment of gratuity to employees in any establishment, factory, mine, oilfield, plantation, port, railways, company, or shop employing 10 or more workers.
6. Gujarat Assembly passed bill for establishment of Universities
The Gujarat Assembly has passed the bills for the establishment of 4 Private and 2 Govt. Run Universities in Gujarat.
The Swarnim Startup and Innovation University (Gandhinagar), PP Savani University (Surat), Karnavati University (Gandhinagar) and the Indrashil University (Ahmedabad) are the Four New Private Universities to be established in the State.
Birsa Munda Tribal University (Narmada District) and Gujarat Organic Agriculture University are two Govt. Run Universities in Gujarat.
7. Cabinet approved the official amendment to the National Medical Commission
The Cabinet of PM Narendra Modi has approved the official amendments to the National Medical Commission (NMC) Bill.
The National Medical Commission Bill came into consideration on 2nd January 2018 in the Lok Sabha and referred to the Department Related Parliamentary Standing Committee (DRPSC).
8. Union Cabinet approved NSDF and NSDC restructuring
For governance Strengthening and Implementation of Framework, the Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Cabinet has given its approval to the National Skill Development Fund (NSDF) and National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC).
Restructuring is an essential step for better transparency and accountability in operations of NSDC besides strengthening the oversight role of NSDF.
Banking Awareness & Economics Current Affairs | Understand the Top Trends in India
1. The Union Cabinet has approved the establishment of National Financial Reporting Authority (NFRA) and creation of one post of Chairperson, three posts of full-time Members and one post of Secretary for NFRA.
The decision aims at formation of NFRA as an independent regulator for the auditing profession which is one of the key changes brought in by the Companies Act, 2013.
2. The shareholders of European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) have approved India’s candidature to the International Financial Institution as a 69th member of EBRD.
It will set a stage for an increase in joint investment with Indian companies in EBRD’s regions of operation.
3. In view of the alleged Punjab National Bank scam, done through fraudulent issuance of Letter of Understanding (LoU) by the connivance of the bank’s staff, the Reserve Bank of India has discontinued issuance of LoUs by banks for trade credits for imports into India.
4. Karnataka Bank opened its first all-woman branch at Bull Temple Road in Bengaluru, which is the 800th branch of the bank.
5. The International Solar Alliance (ISA) and African Development Bank (AfDb), Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), Asian Development Bank (ADB), Green climate fund (GCF), and New Development Bank (NDB) signed Joint financial partnership Declarations.
The International Energy Agency (IEA) has also signed Joint partnership declaration with ISA.
The objective of these agreements is to deepen their cooperation in support of renewable energy.
6. New Representative Office inaugurated by Axis bank
The Axis Bank in Sharjah opened a representative office to promote the bank retail products and services to the Nonresident Indians (NRIs).
The Representative office in Sharjah is third Axis Bank Office after Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
There are 3589 domestic branches of Axis Bank in India spreading across 1946 cities and Towns.
7. ICICI Bank and Swiggy Partners launches UPI Based Digital Payment Service
India’s largest private Bank ICICI and Online Food Delivery Firm, Swiggy has decided to launch the Digital Payment Service to facilitate the freeway delivery to transfer Swiggy funds.
8. Agriculture credit target for 2018-19 is set to be INR 11 lakh crore
The government of India has fixed the agriculture credit target of INR 11 lakh crore in 2018-19.
The government has increased the agriculture credit disbursement target for upcoming year as compared to the previous (10 lakh crore in 2017-18).
9. Ministry of Finance has approved the Govt. guarantee of INR 5000 crore under IRFC bonds
The guarantee fee of INR 5000 crore has been approved by the government and Ministry of Finance (MOF) for Indian Railways Finance Corporation (IRFC).
The bond is being subscribed by Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) under which LIC has to provide a financial assistance of INR 1,50,000 crore from 2015 to 2019 to ease out the borrowed funds for Ministry of Railways.
10. GPI Tracker System to be expanded for Banks
Seeing the Bank Scams and frauds of INR 13000 crore by Nirav Modi at Punjab National Bank, SWIFT (Society for World Interbank Financial Telecommunication) has decided to expand the Tracking System to decrease the further Scams.
As per the Reports, previous Bank Scam was a case of misuse of non-linkage of bank’s core banking system (CBS).
11. HDFC is the most Valued Bank while Bandhan bank becomes 8th most Valued Bank of India
Bandhan bank has become the 8th most valued bank in India leaving behind Bank of Baroda and Punjab National Bank with 27 percent of gain on the very first day of market debut.
HDFC Bank is the first most valued Bank in India with market capital of 4.8 lakh crores. While SBI and Kotak Mahindra Bank have a market value of INR2.02 lakh crore and INR 1.98 lakh crore respectively comes on 2nd and 3rd.
12. Exim Bank Extends USD 500 Million Loan Facility for South Africa
Economic Community of West Africa States (ECOWAS) is going to be benefitted by the Exim Bank (Export Import Bank) by the amount of USD 500 million credit facility for funds development in Western South Africa.
As per the reports the line of credit (LOC) has been extended four times for the Bank of Investment and Development (EBID) OF West African States.
13. Asian Development Bank and India signed a USD 80 Million Loan Agreement
The Asian Development Bank and Indian Government has signed a USD 80 Million loan agreement for Modern Technical and Vocational Education Institution (TVET).
The purpose of this agreement is to enhance the skills development efforts in Himachal Pradesh.
14. INR 59 Crore penalty on ICICI Bank
India’s one of the leading Bank ICICI has been imposed by INR 59 Crore penalty for noncompliance with the direction issued by RBI (Reserve Bank of India).
Under the Banking Regulation Act 1949 the penalty is applied on the ICICI Bank in exercise of powers vested and not following the directions guidelines of RBI (Reserve Bank of India).
15. INR 350 Coin issued on the birth anniversary of Guru Gobind Singh
Government is going to issue a new coin of INR 350 at the birth anniversary of Guru Gobind Singh (10th and last Sikh guru) as a tribute.
The coin would have 35-gram weight along with 50 percent of Silver, 40 percent Copper and 5 percent of Nickel and Zinc.
Science & Technology Current Events | Stay Advanced with Latest Inventions
1. The Union Minister for Environment, Forests and Climate Change has launched a digital mobile application named Dr. Harsh Vardhan to transform environmental protection into a peoples’ movement.
The application focuses on his social & public activities and involvement of citizens in Green Good Deeds movement.
Some of the 500 Green Good Deeds listed in the Mobile Application include planting trees, saving energy, conserving water, use of public transport and promoting carpool.
2. Anti-Tank Guided Missiles (ATGM) NAG was successfully fire-tested in desert conditions against two tank targets at different ranges and timings.
NAG ATGM has been developed by Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) and flight tests have once again proved its capability.
With this, the developmental trials of the missile have been completed and it is now ready for induction.
3. The Telangana government has launched an m-Governance mobile application called T App Folio to help citizens with one point access to government services.
The Telangana government plans to bring on-board all mobile apps of its various departments to T App Folio over next 12 months.
4. The Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Sciences (CCRAS) has undertaken the development of coded drug AYUSH QOL-2C for improving quality of life in cancer patients.
It had conducted clinical studies of the drug in breast cancer patients at St. John’s Medical College, Bengaluru and AIIMS, New Delhi and in lung cancer patients at Bhagwan Mahaveer Cancer Hospital and Research Centre, Jaipur.
5. Chinese scientists have developed artificial heart using rocket technology and it is currently undergoing through testing experiments on animals.
The heart was developed jointly by China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology (CALT) and Teda International Cardiovascular Hospital in North China’s Tianjin.
6. Indian Science Congress to be held in Bhopal
Bhopal is going to become the venue of 106th edition of the Indian Science Congress to be held next year from 3rd to 7th January 2019.
The Theme of the Event is decided to be ‘Future India: Science and Technology by the General President Elect of Science Congress Association Prof. Manoj Kumar Chakrabarti.
7. China is going to build the World’s Fastest Wind Tunnel
China is going to lead the world in constructing the World’s Fastest Hypersonic Wind Tunnel. The purpose of developing the tunnel is to enhance the growth of Aircrafts.
8. Hellenic Space Agency officially launched by Greece
Greece launched the Space Agency ‘Hellenic Space Agency’ one of the newly established Space Program for development of the country in various sectors like Defense, Media & Communication, Medical Applications, Agriculture Growth and Hazardous Controls.
The Chair Person of the Hellenic Space Agency Board is Dr. Tom Krimigis. He is also known for his contribution to Space Exploration.
9. ISRO and BHEL Tied Up
The two leading powers of India ISRO (Indian Space and Research Organization) and BHEL (Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited) tied up to work on the low cost Electrical Batteries for Vehicles in India.
The Step is seen as the commitment to manage the waste generated at the end of the battery Life.
The correlative process would be done by steeping a development plant by BHEL and the technical support by the ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization).
10. M-Kerala App launched by Kerala CM
Chief Minister of Kerala , P. Vijayan launched a unified app known as M- Kerala for all the government services at #FUTURE 2018.
The FUTURE 2018 is the first of its type Digital summit held in Kerala as Kerala has become India’s first state with the largest Public Wi-fi distribution. (the news must come under the heading ‘Science & Technology’
11. India’s mission to the Moon is delayed up to October
‘Chandrayaan -2’ the second mission of India to Moon has been delayed as per the announcement of the Indian Space Research Organization(ISRO).
The purpose of this mission was to be conducted on April 23rd to rover the South Pole of the Moon, but due to the running experiments by ISRO the Mission is delayed up to October Month.
12. India become the World’s third Largest Electricity producer in the World
India has become the 3rd largest electricity producer in the world by enhancing the producing rates up to 34 %.
Even Japan and Russia have lacked behind in the race with 27% and 8.77 % electricity increment in previous years.
India is the third largest producer as well as consumer of Electricity in the World as per Indian Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF)
13. India Launched an E- Tribe Software and App
An E- Tribes India Banner on E commerce platforms like Amazon, Snapdeal, Paytm & GeM has been launched by the Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFIED) under Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
The campaign is under Digital India Initiative with website www.tribesindia.com, M- commerce Digital app, and Retail Inventory Software.
14. NASA and Space X Tied Up
America’s Space Agency NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) and Space X tied up to launch TESS (Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite) for search of the exoplanets using the transit method.
TESS is a device with four wide angle telescopes equipped with the Charge Coupled Device (CCD) detectors that will carry out the first borne all sky transiting exoplanet survey.
15. ISRO launched GSAT -6A Communication Satellite
ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization) launched a GSAT -6A communication Satellite from Space port of Sriharikota on 29th March 2018.
The GSAT-6A is a high-power S Band Satellite similar to the GSAT-6 constructed on the I-2K Satellite bus with mission life of ten years.
Sports Current Affairs | Read all the Major Achievements in Popular Tournaments
Awards and Honours | Fetch the List of Top Awardees in Distinct Fields
Appointments Latest GK Updates | Upgrade Your Knowledge Cart with the List of Top Influencers
Important Days & Dates | Mark them to Boost up your General Knowledge
|S. No.||Important Days||Dates|
|1.||World Wild Life Day||3 March|
|2.||National Safety Day||4 March|
|3.||International Women’s Day||8 March|
|4.||World Kidney Day||8 March|
|5.||Pi Day (π Day)||14 March|
|6.||World Consumer Rights Day||15 March|
|7.||National Vaccination Day||16 March|
|8.||International Day of Happiness||20 March|
|9.||World Sparrow Day||20 March|
|10.||International Day of Forest||21 March|
|11.||World Day for Water||22 March|
|12.||World Meteorological Day||23 March|
|13.||International TB Day||24 March|
|14.||86th Martyrdom Day||23 March|
|15.||United Nations International Day of Remembrance||25 March|
|16.||World Theatre Day||27 March|
|17.||Maryland Day||25 March|
|18.||Prince Jonah Kuhio Kalanianaole Day||26 March|
|19.||Bangladesh Liberation Day||26 March|
|20.||Palm Sunday||29 March|
|21.||National Doctor’s Day||30 March|
|22.||Seward’s Day||30 March|
|23.||Cesar Chavez Day||31 March|
Recent Deaths of Famous Personalities | Know who died today?
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
Image Courtesy: Google Images