Read Current Affairs of last month online, all summarized well into one digest GK Eduwrap. Also, covering all the latest questions of General Knowledge asked in General Awareness for Bank PO.
National – Across the India:
1. The first meeting of National Committee on Trade Facilitation (NCTF) was held in New Delhi.
It was held to discuss ways for developing roadmap for implementation of WTOs trade facilitation agreement.
2. Andhra Pradesh and Telangana have jointly topped the Ease of Doing Business Reforms Ranking 2015-16.
Top 10 states: Andhra Pradesh (Score 98.78%), Telangana (98.78%), Gujarat (98.21%), Chhattisgarh (97.32%), Madhya Pradesh (97.01%), Haryana (96.95%), Jharkhand (96.57%), Rajasthan (96.43%), Uttarakhand (96.13%) and Maharashtra (92.86).
3. Odisha government has launched Madhubabu Aain Sahayata Sibir’ (MASS) scheme.
It was to provide legal assistance to deprived sections of the society at the grassroots level.
4. Kerala has become the third Open Defecation Free state in the country after Sikkim and Himachal Pradesh under the Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) (Gramin).
The announcement in this regard was made by the Drinking Water and Sanitation Secretary Parameswaran Iyer in New Delhi on the occasion foundation day of Kerala (1 November).
5. India is invited by Russia for developing next-generation nuclear reactors and to participate in its fast-reactor research project.
With these types of reactors, it is possible to solve the major ecological problem of reprocessing and deactivation of accumulated radioactive waste, at same time provide much-needed energy.
6. Narendra Modi visited Raipur in Chhattisgarh for the inauguration of the Jungle Safari in the city.
7. The finance ministry has financed first installment of special assistance of INR 1,093.34 crore for Jammu and Kashmir.
This amount is financed to repair and permanent restoration of damaged public buildings in J&K.
8. Maharashtra has been ranked first state in the country in 2016 Agricultural Marketing and Farmer Friendly Reforms Index.
The first-ever index based on initiatives taken by the states in implementing farm sector reforms was issued by the NITI Aayog.
9. Maharashtra has become the first state in the country to have a cyber-police station in each district to take on cyber criminals.
In this regard, state government is converting 42 state-of-the-art cybercrime labs into cyber police stations simultaneously.
10. Minister of Railways, Shri Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu has inaugurated the International Conference on Decarbonization of Indian Railways – Mission Electrification in New Delhi on November 3, 2016.
It was organized by Institution of Railways Electrical Engineer (IREE) in partnership with ASSOCHAM India.
11. PM Narendra Modi has launched “Saur Sujala Yojana” in Chhattisgarh which will provide solar powered irrigation pumps to farmers.
It is mainly aimed to give priority to those areas where electricity has not reached, so that farmers can utilize them in irrigation and agriculture.
12. The International Forum on Adopting an ICT Perspective to Education and Learning recently started in New Delhi.
13. An Inter-Ministerial Committee of the Information and Broadcasting Ministry in the first week of November 2016 asked for one-day ban on a leading Hindi News Channel, NDTV India from 12.01 A.M. of 9 November to 12.01 A.M. of 10 November 2016.
The channel is facing the possibility of a complete blackout for 24 hours for revealing strategically-sensitive information during its coverage of the anti-terror operations at the Pathankot airbase in January 2016.
14. 11-day International Space Science School held in Sangli District in Western Maharashtra.
This school is part of a series of schools conducted jointly by the Canada-based Scientific Committee on Solar-Terrestrial Physics (SCOSTEP) and the International Space Weather Initiative (ISWI).
15. President Pranab Mukherjee approved the 2% hike in Dearness Allowance (DA) to central government employees.
This move could benefit 50.68 lakh employees and 54.24 lakh pensioners.
16. The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, will be hosting the Seventh Session of the Conference of Parties (COP7).
It will be held from 7 November to 12 November 2016, at India Exposition Mart, Greater Noida, District Gautam Buddha Nagar, and Uttar Pradesh.
17. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the 12th edition of International Oil and Gas Conference and Exhibition “Petrotech-2016” in New Delhi on 5 December 2016.
The 2016 theme is “Hydrocarbons to fuel the future – Choices and Challenges”.
18. Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) has launched a unique platform called ‘Startup Mentorship Circle’.
It will help in connecting start-ups with the global marketplace.
19. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the first International Agro-biodiversity Congress in New Delhi.
The 4-day Congress (from 6th to 9th November 2016) will be attended by 900 delegates from 60 countries to discuss conservation of genetic resources.
20. Construction major Hindustan Construction Company (HCC) became India’s first firm to get debt recast under RBI’s new Scheme for Sustainable Structuring of Stressed Assets (S4A).
The RBI-mandated Overseeing Committee (OC) under the S4A has approved HCC’s Rs. 5,000-crore debt recast passed by an ICICI Bank-led joint lender forum in September 2016.
21. Magnetospheric Multiscale (MMS) mission of NASA has set the Guinness world record for highest altitude fix of a Global Positioning System (GPS) signal.
Operating in a highly elliptical orbit around Earth, the MMS satellites set the record at 43,500 miles above the surface.
22. The surprise announcement by PM Narendra Modi of demonetization of two currency units.
INR 500 and INR 1000 will be no longer legal tender from 8th November 2016 mid night.
[Read Full Story] Govt demonetizes Rs 500, 1000 Notes: Crucial Step to Curb Black Money!
23. China has decided to block India’s bid for Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) membership.
China says that India’s membership and also of Pakistan will be considered only after rules for the entry of non-Nuclear Proliferation Treaty (NPT) countries is finalized by the elite group.
24. Indian Army has completed Demchok mission.
Under this mission Indian Army worked on laying an irrigation pipeline in the Demchok region of Eastern Ladakh.
25. The Government has launched Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas yojana.
It will train the youth of India for better employment.
26. Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, JP Nadda has launched “Healthy India Initiative” magazine and “No More Tension” Mobile Application.
It will prioritize public health and strengthen citizen-centric health services by leveraging India’s expanding mobile phone penetration.
27. The first International Agrobiodiversity Congress (IAC) held in New Delhi has adopted New Delhi Declaration on Agrobiodiversity Management.
The Key Features of Declaration are as follows:
28. The growing power of Indian community in the US was seen once again.
The Hindi language has found a place on ‘Thank You’ note in US president election.
The receipts were in four language – English, Spanish, Chinese and *Hindi.
29. Union HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar inaugurated the world’s largest digital national building initiative “Smart India Hackathon 2017”.
It is aimed at reaching out to all technology institutions in India and challenge students to offer innovative solutions to the daunting problems faced by our nation.
30. The 36th edition of India International Trade Fair (IITF) has started at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
It will be held from 14th to 27th November 2016.
The theme of 2016 IITF is Digital India.
31. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the International Conference and Exhibition on Sugarcane Value Chain – Vision 2025 Sugar in Pune, Maharashtra.
The 3 days (from 13th – 16th November) conference has been organized by Vasantdada Sugar Institute (VSI) at Manjari near Pune.
Around 1,500 delegates participated in this conference from across the globe.
32. Israel President Reuven Rivlin arrived in Mumbai on November 14th on a six-day visit to India to further strengthen bilateral ties.
He met Prime Minister Narendra Modi and External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and joined President Pranab Mukherjee in opening an aggrotech conference in Chandigarh.
33. Employees State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) launched medical facilities for its beneficiaries of Delhi. ‘Kahin Bhi-Kabhi Bhi’.
Kahin Bhi means any dispensary/Hospital and Kabhi Bhi means anytime.
34. The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) for the first time has deployed a team of women commandos in anti-Naxal operations in Jharkhand.
The 135 women commandos belonging to the 232 battalion’s Delta Company have started carrying out anti-Naxal operations.
The government has announced that it will present the Union Budget for 2017-18 on 1st February.
The budget session may begin in January.
35. The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), launched a revamped version of its Toll-free helpline number: 1947, to help residents get quick access to information about Aadhaar.
The free of cost helpline 1947 will be available 24×7 throughout the year on IVRS mode, while Call-Centre agents will be available from 7 am to 11 pm (Monday to Saturday).
36. Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar launched “Har Ghar Bijli Lagataar” programme.
This is to provide free electricity connection to about 50 lakh households above the poverty line.
37. India has been ranked 20th on Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) 2017.
The publication was issued by Germanwatch and Climate Action Network Europe.
38. Chhattisgarh became the first state to adopt a resolution welcoming the demonetization of high-value currency notes.
The resolution on 16 November 2016 saw 41 votes in favour and 25 against in assembly.
39. Aligarh leads 500 cities in undertaking Swachh awareness generation activities under the fortnightly thematic activities as required under the Swachh Survekshan-2017.
The other cities in the top 10 in this regard are: Vasai-Virar (Maharashtra), Hyderabad, Gurugram, Chandigarh, Madurai (Tamil Nadu), Vadodara and Rajkot (Gujarat), Tirupati (Andhra Pradesh) and Mysuru (Karnataka).
40. The world’s first Genetic Garden of Halophytes (naturally occurring salt-tolerant plants) was inaugurated at the coastal town of Vedaranyam in Tamil Nadu.
It will have over 1,600 species belonging to 550 genera and 117 families of Halophytes plants.
41. Jammu and Kashmir Government launched Jhelum-Tawi flood recovery project.
It will give a push to the reconstruction and rehabilitation of infrastructure post-2014 floods in the state.
42. The Qaumi Ekta Week is being observed all over the country. (From 19th to 25th November 2016).
It will reinforce the spirit of Communal Harmony, National Integration, and pride in vibrant, composite culture and nationhood.
November 19: National Integration Day
November 20: Welfare of Minorities Day
November 21: Linguistic Harmony Day
November 22: Weaker Sections Day
November 23: Cultural Unity Day
November 24: Women’s Day
November 25: Conservation Day
43. India has been elected as the vice chair for 2018 and chair for 2019 of the Kimberly Process Certificate Scheme (KPCS).
KPCS is a joint initiative of the governments, industry and civil societies to prevent the entry of conflict diamonds from the mainstream rough diamond market.
44. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awas Yojana (PMAY-G), flagship housing for all scheme in Agra, Uttar Pradesh.
Under PMAY-G Government aims to provide affordable, environmentally safe and secure pucca house to every rural household living below the poverty line by 2022.
45. Union textile Minister Smriti Irani launched a scheme of ‘Pehchan’ identity cards to artisans in Ahmedabad.
She also inaugurated thematic handicrafts exhibition.
The upgraded ‘pehchan’ cards were distributed to artisans from five clusters of Gujarat namely Jamnagar, Naroda, Surendranagar, Amreli, and Kalol.
46. India’s longest expressway connecting Agra and Lucknow was inaugurated by Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav at Bangarmau in Unnao district of UP.
The Agra-Lucknow Expressway is six-lane Greenfield expressway having a total length of 302-km. It has a design speed of up to 120 kms. per hour.
47. UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has launched one of his dream projects – the UP-100 Police Emergency Management System.
Under the scheme, Police will reach to help within 15 to 20 minutes after UP-100 is called from any urban or rural area
48. With an aim to promote Manipur as a potential tourist destination, the annual Manipur Sangai Festival this year will be themed ‘Destination Manipur’.
The 10-day-festival seeks to showcase the best of what the state has to offer in terms of art, culture, handloom, handicrafts as well as fine arts.
49. The 13th World Robot Olympiad will be held in India for the first time, with over 2,000 students from 54 countries participating.
This year’s theme is ‘Rap the Scrap’ is in line with ‘Swachh Bharat Mission’ of the government.
50. António Costa, the Indian-origin Prime Minister of Portugal will be the chief guest at the 14th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) Convention.
The PBD Convention is scheduled to be held from January 7 to 9, 2017 in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
51. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved the opening of one Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya (JNV) in each of the 62 uncovered districts.
These JNVs will provide good quality modern education to the talented children prominently from rural areas.
Nearly 35,000 students will be benefitted from these JNVs.
52. The Union Defence Ministry is planning to relook at defence blacklist guidelines for dealing with global defence firms engaged in corruption in arms deals.
Thus, under the recently released new policy called ‘Guidelines of the Ministry of Defence for penalties in business dealings with entities’ the Union Defence Ministry will “re-ascertain” the list of companies banned from doing business in India.
53. The fifth International Tourism Mart has begun in Imphal, Manipur.
It will be held between 23– 25 November 2016.
The event has been organized by the Union Ministry of Tourism in association with the North Eastern States and West Bengal.
54. IIT Kharagpur is India’s highest-ranked institution features in the Top 100 QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2016- 17.
It’s the only Indian institution other than IIT Bombay to feature in top 100.
55. India has been ranked 138th in the 2016 ICT Development Index out of a total of 175 countries. In 2015, India ranked 135th position.
The index was released as part of the annual measuring the Information Society Report for 2016 of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU).
56. The Palampur Assembly Constituency of Kangra district, Himachal Pradesh became the first e-assembly constituency of the country.
The system will help the residents of the constituency to know about the development works going on by one click on the computer.
57. India hosted the 13th edition of the World Robot Olympiad on the sidelines of the trade fair in New Delhi.
This is for the first time India hosted World Robot Olympiad.
It has been organized by National Council of Science Museums (NCSM), Ministry of Culture in collaboration with the India STEM Foundation (ISF).
58. India became an associate member of the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN), the largest nuclear and particle physics laboratory in the world.
As an associate member, India can take part in meetings of the CERN Council and its committees (Scientific Policy Committee and Finance Committee).
59. Indian Railways will soon introduce Tri-Netra (terrain imaging for diesel drivers infrared, enhanced optical and radar-assisted) system on its trains to reduce train accidents.
Tri-Netra is an advance system is made up of a high-resolution optical video camera, high-sensitivity infrared video camera, and a radar-based terrain mapping system.
These three components will act as three eyes (Tri-Netra) of the Locomotive Pilot.
60. Hundreds of Garo tribals gathered here recently to celebrate the harvest festival of Wangala with much fervor here.
The festival marks the end of a period of toil for farmers wanting a good output from their fields.
61. The Union Agriculture & Farmers Welfare launched e-pashuhaat portal to connect farmers and breeders of bovine animals.
The portal will act as a single online e-trading market platform, including availability of bovine germplasm. It will enable the farmers to buy bovine animals, frozen semen and embryo.
62. The 51st Annual Conference of Directors-General of Police of States was held at the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy (SVPNPA) in Hyderabad, Telangana.
The three day (from November 25-27, 2016) conference was inaugurated by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh.
It was attended by around 100 DGPs of states, Director Generals of Central paramilitary forces and their Inspectors General.
63. Goa is likely to become the first state in India to go cashless from December 31, as people will be able to buy perishables such as fish, meat, vegetables or anything else at the press of a button on their mobile.
One has to dial *99# from their mobile phone, not necessarily a smart phone, and follow the instructions to complete the transaction.
64. Indian Railways and IRCTC have included “transgender as a third gender” in the option alongside male and female in ticket reservation and cancellation forms.
The decision, which was taken on a representation made by a lawyer will include the facility for reservations and cancellations, both online as well offline.
65. Akodara village in Sabarkantha district of Gujarat has earned the coveted tag of becoming India’s first digital village in India.
The village with a total population of 1,191 people and 250 households uses a various cashless system for payments of goods and services.
66. India hosted the golden jubilee (50th anniversary) celebrations of United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) in New Delhi.
67. Delhi has become India’s economic capital.
Mumbai ranks 31st among 50 top metropolitan economic entities globally in 2015, as per latest data released by Oxford Economics.
68. Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan’s film Pink, which dealt with crime against women, has been invited for a special screening at the United Nations headquarters in New York.
Pink is directed by Aniruddha Roy Chowdhury, starred Amitabh Bachchan, Taapsee Pannu, Andrea Tariang, and Kirti Kulhari in lead roles.
69. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has flagged off the Humsafar train from Kushinagar that will ply between Gorakhpur and Delhi’s Anand Vihar terminus.
This tri-weekly train will have several new features, including LED screen display to show information about stations, train speed and will have announcement system as well.
70. Uttar Pradesh now has Asia’s first cycle highway.
A first-of-its-kind project, the 207-km-long cycle highway runs between Etawah and Agra and was declared open recently.
The cycle highway runs parallel to the main highway and is about 7-feet-wide.
71. 10-day long festival named Losar festival has begun in Ladakh region of J&K to mark the beginning of New Year in this Himalayan region.
Losar is Tibetan word for ‘new year’ and this festival is an important social and religious celebration in Ladakh.
International – Across the Globe:
1. India has been ranked 133rd out of 183 countries in the 2016 Global Youth Development Index (YDI) compiled by the Commonwealth Secretariat.
Top 10 countries in 2016 YDI: Germany (1), Denmark (2), Australia (3), Switzerland (4), UK (5), Netherlands (6), Austria (7), Luxembourg (8), Portugal (9) and Japan (10)
2. The Paris Agreement to combat climate change officially entered into force after 55 parties to the convention accounting for at least 55% of total GHG (greenhouse gas) emissions ratified it.
India was 62nd country to ratify it on 2nd October 2016.
3. The tenth edition of Indo-Nepal joint military exercise Surya Kiran commenced at Army Battle School, Saljhandi in Nepal.
Its emphasis will be on counter-terrorism in mountainous terrain.
4. For the first time, An Introductory Brief History of Mizo Tribes” has released by the Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla Hindi language.
It is an Introductory Brief History of Mizo Tribes.
5. India- Bangladesh “SAMPRITI” joint military exercise will begin from 5th Nov.
It will be conducted at Tangail, Dhaka, Bangladesh from 5th to 18th November 2016.
6. National Security Advisors of India and Japan held bilateral consultations in New Delhi.
They shared a view that the Special Strategic and Global Partnership between the two countries is a key partnership for promoting peace, prosperity and development in the region and the world.
7. 9th Annual Meeting of International Regulatory Cooperation for Herbal Medicines (IRCH) was inaugurated in New Delhi.
The objective of IRCH meeting is to globally promote and facilitate the safe use of herbal medicines, through regional initiatives, sharing information and fostering dialogue.
8. The High-Level Meeting of Interior Ministers of Indian Ocean Region (IOR) to Counter Drug Trafficking was held in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
It had adopted Colombo declaration.
The delegates from 18 littoral states of the IOR took resolution to make the region a “Drug Free Zone”.
9. The Competition Commission of India was selected to host ICN 2018 Annual Conference.
The Conference will be held at Delhi in March–April 2018.
10. India has been ranked 2nd on the global scale for business optimism.
The ranks were announced by the latest Grant Thornton International Business Report.
Indonesia took the top spot, with the Philippines coming in third.
11. The India-China Joint Training Exercise “Hand in Hand 2016″ is being held in Pune (from 15th – 27th November).
It will be the 6th annual joint training exercise between the Indian Army and the People’s Liberation Army of China.
12. India will preside the eighth edition of the Conference of Parties (COP) to WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC).
It will be held in Switzerland’s Geneva in 2018.
13. The Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Forum’s Week started at Lima in Peru bringing together leaders of world’s largest economies, businessmen and investors.
A creation of Free Trade Area of the Asia-Pacific, which would include all APEC states, is one of the main topics on the agenda of the 2016 APEC Summit.
14. Australia to introduce the Hindi language in Pre-Schools from 2018.
In order to teach foreign languages in Australia a program named Early Learning Languages Australia (ELLA), was launched in the 2015-16, with five languages.
Hindi will be started in 2018.
15. Maharashtra became the first state in the country to adopt the Fly Ash Utilization Policy.
The policy will make a way for prosperity by generating wealth from waste and environment protection.
16. Russia has been officially withdrawn from International Criminal Court (ICC) after President Vladimir Putin signed an executive order in this regard.
The executive order mentioned that Russia is pulling out of the 2002 Rome Statute, which establishes the ICC’s status and powers.
17. Pakistan conducted Raad ul Barq (Strike of Thunder) military exercise in a strategically located area in Punjab province, bordering India.
It was the comprehensive joint exercise carried out jointly by Pakistan Army and Air Force to reflect the preparedness of our armed forces to respond to any threat to its national security.
18. Oxford Dictionaries declared “post-truth” to be its international word of the year citing a 2,000% spike in its usage.
The word beat competition from “adulting,” “alt-right,” “Brexiteer,” “glass cliff” and “woke”.
19. Pakistan’s Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif inaugurated a trade route linking the south-western Gwadar port to Kashgar city in China as part of $46 billion project to jumpstart economic growth in the South Asian country.
20. India is not inclined to automatically grant the coveted ‘Market Economy Status’ (MES) to China under World Trade Organization (WTO) norms in December 2016.
The main reason India is reluctant to grant MES to China is that it will severely curb India’s ability to impose anti-dumping duties on “unfairly priced” Chinese imports.
21. The International Conference on Brucellosis 2016 and the 69th meeting of the International Society on Brucellosis inaugurated in New Delhi.
The three-day conference has been organized by the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) in collaboration with Indian Council for Agriculture Research (ICAR).
22. Nepal has abruptly cancelled all the agreements with Indian construction firm ILFS to build a USD one billion expressway project, connecting the Nepalese capital with the southern Terai region near the Indian border.
23. China has agreed to import rice, non-basmati and basmati varieties from 17 registered mills in India.
These mills are in Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh.
It is considered as a major breakthrough in India’s efforts to ensure market access for Indian products (especially rice) in China as it is the world’s largest rice importer.
24. Turkey will chair the Energy Club of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) in 2017, becoming the first non-SCO country to hold its term presidency.
Earlier, only members of the SCO had assumed the term presidency of the Energy Club.
25. New Zealand was the most searched country by Indian travellers in 2016, with travel searches increasing by 52% this year when compared to 2015, according to a new Skyscanner survey.
Australia, the second most searched destination, recorded an increase of 47% in searches when compared to 2015.
26. The World Health Organisation (WHO) has dropped the term ‘counterfeit’ and retained ‘falsified’ to describe medicines of inferior quality.
This decision was taken by a WHO’s technical working group on draft working definitions of substandard/spurious /falsely-labelled/falsified/counterfeit (SSFFC) medical products.
27. Thailand’s parliament invited Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn to be the new king, completing a formal step for the heir apparent to take the throne following the death of his father last month.
Vajiralongkorn’s father, the much-revered Bhumibol Adulyadej, who took the throne in 1946, died on October 13 at age of 88 after many years of ill health.
1. Lewis Hamilton has won Mexican Grand Prix by beating German world champion Nico Roseberg.
Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel came in third position.
2. India has won Men’s Asian Champions Trophy.
India beat arch-rivals Pakistan 3-2 in the final in Malaysia.
3. Pratul Joshi has won the men’s singles championship of the Bahrain International Challenge badminton tournament.
It was his maiden international title.
4. The World Cup scorer winner, Miroslav Klose has announced his retirement from football.
He scored 71 goals in 137 internationals.
He will now join the national side’s coaching team.
5. The annual Forbes Fab 40 list includes Mahendra Singh Dhoni as most valued Indian athlete in India for 2016.\
Dhoni is ranked fifth with a brand value of $20 million in 2014, slightly down from $21 million last year.
The list has been topped by American basketball player LeBron James.
6. India prevailed 3-2 over Pakistan to reclaim the Asian Champions Trophy hockey title.
This was the first time the teams were meeting in the final of a continental tournament since India dethroned Pakistan as the Asian Games champions in Incheon, South Korea in 2014.
7. Karandeep Kochhar stunned the heavyweights to become the youngest golfer and first Indian amateur to win on the PGTI presented by Tollygunge Club.
He bettered Shubhankar Sharma’s feat in Kochi two years ago when he had won at the age of 17 years and eight months.
8. For 2017, India will host 20-20 Blind World Cup next year.
It will begin on 31st January in New Delhi and the final will be played in Bangalore on 12th February.
Rahul Dravid is the brand ambassador for the tournament.
9. Andy Murray has become the world’s number one men’s tennis player.
See below some more significant moments of his career:
US Open Junior Title (September 2004)
First ATP Tour final (September 2005)
Maiden ATP Tour title (February 2006)
Top-10 debut (April 2007)
US Open breakthrough (September 2008)
First Wimbledon final (July 2012)
Olympic gold (August 2012)
A grand slam title, at last (September 2012)
Wimbledon glory (July 2013)
Davis Cup heroics (November 2015)
Fifth Melbourne final (January 2016)
French Open final (June 2016)
Second Wimbledon title (July 2016)
Olympic gold again (August 2016)
World number one (November 2016)
10. Mumbai’s Western Railways women’s team won the 33rd Indian Oil Servo Surjit Hockey Tournament.
11. Robin Peterson, former South Africa and County Championship spin bowler has announced his retirement from cricket with immediate effect.
He started his international career in Champions Trophy 2002.
12. Aditi Ashok capped a brilliant show to clinch the Indian Open Golf title.
By this, she became the first woman from the country to claim a European Tour event.
13. Australia is going to host the 2018 Invictus Games for wounded military personnel.
More than 500 serving and former personnel from 17 nations will compete in the multi-sports competition in Sydney.
14. Lewis Hamilton has won Brazilian Grand Prix.
It was the ninth win for Hamilton this season.
Nico Rosberg finished second in the race.
15. International Master Padmini Rout has won the 2016 National Women Premier Chess Championship.
She has scored a hat-trick in the National Women Premier Chess Championship.
Earlier she had won the championship in 2014 and 2015.
16. Indian golfer S.S.P Chawrasia clinched the $1 million Resorts World Manila Masters in the Philippines.
It was his first ever Asian Tour title outside India.
He beat Malaysian Nicolas Fung and American Sam Chen on the final day of the tournament.
17. Debbie Hockley has been elected as president of New Zealand Cricket.
She is the first woman to hold that role in the 122-year history of the sport’s national governing body.
18. India’s ace shuttler and Olympic silver medallist P.V. Sindhu has won the $700,000 2016 China Open Super Series title in women’s category.
It was her maiden Super Series Premier title and first post-2016 Rio Olympics title.
19. Kenya’s Olympic marathon champion Eliud Kipchoge has won the men’s race in Delhi Half Marathon.
Ethiopia’s Worknesh Degefa won the women’s title.
20. Gaganjeet Bhullar of India won the $300,000 BANK BRI-JCB Indonesia Open Golf for the second time in his career after closing with a four-under-par 68.
Bhullar also won the event in 2013.
21. Former Liverpool and England football captain Steven Gerrard has announced the end of his playing career.
22. Indian teen golfer Aditi Ashok shot a final round of three-under 69 on a weather-hit last day to notch up her second successive victory on the Ladies European Tour at the inaugural Qatar Ladies Open.
23. Indian boxer Sachin Singh won the gold medal at the AIBA (International Boxing Association) Youth World Championships in the 49 kg weight class.
In the summit clash held at St Peterburg (Russia), Sachin Singh defeated Jorge Grinan of Cuba by 5-0 score.
24. District Magistrate (DM) from Azamgarh in Uttar Pradesh, Suhas LY created the history after winning the gold medal in the Asian Para-Badminton Championship in Beijing.
He defeated Hare Sushanto of Indonesia in the final.
25. Nico Rosberg won his first Formula 1 world title after finishing second at Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
26. International Boxing Association (AIBA) has selected Vikas Krishnan for this year’s best boxer title for his excellent performance.
Vikas Krishan Yadav is the first Indian to receive this award.
27. Argentina fought back to beat Croatia 3-2 and win the Davis Cup for the first time in a dramatic final in Zagreb.
Argentina is the 15th winner of Davis Cup in 116 years.
28. Fifteen-time world champion Pankaj Advani suffered a 2-7 loss in the semifinals against Andrew Pagett of Wales to settle for a bronze medal at the IBSF World Snooker Championship here.
Awards & Recognition:
1. The Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, gave away the Ramnath Goenka Awards.
The Award is given for excellence in journalism.
List of the Awardees: – Click Here….
2. Veteran Bollywood actress and Rajya Sabha MP Rekha will be honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award at the upcoming Dubai International Film Festival.
She will be honored for her 40-year career contribution and participation in more than 180 films.
3. The Renowned South Korean director Kwon Taek Im will be awarded Lifetime Achievement Award at the 47th International Film Festival of India to be held in Goa.
4. Uppma Virdi has received award for the Businesswoman of the Year at the India Australia Business Community Awards.
The ceremony was held in Sydney.
5. Madhya Pradesh Government has selected renowned theatre personality Prof. Raj Bisaria for the prestigious ‘Kalidas Samman’ national award for 2015-16.
He is best known for blending artistic concepts of the East and the West and the traditional and the modern.
The Press Trust of India (PTI) describes him as the father of the modern theatre in North India.
6. Former world number one Roger Federer won the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award at the ATP awards.
He has awarded the title for the 12th time in his career.
7. Amitav Ghosh will be awarded Tata Literature Live Lifetime Achievement Award.
The award will be given to him at the upcoming Tata Literature Live on 20th November 2016.
8. The Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) has won the prestigious 2016 Golden Peacock Award for Corporate Governance.
The award was given during the 16th London Global Convention on Corporate Governance and Sustainability in London, UK.
The award was received by Ashwini Kumar, CEO of Rourkela Steel Plant (RSP) on behalf of SAIL.
9. An 11-year-old Pune girl Anvita Prashant Telang has been named the national winner of the “Doodle 4 Google” contest.
The Doodle featured on the Google India homepage on 14th November to celebrate Children’s Day.
10. Mark Zuckerberg has been declared “business person of the year” by US international magazine Fortune.
According to Fortune, his corporate discipline makes him an effective business person.
Currently, he is the 5th wealthiest person in the world.
11. Imtiaz Sooliman, an Indian-origin man from South Africa, was awarded the Global Citizen Award for his “innovative and visionary” contribution to the global community.
He founded the internationally-lauded Gift of the Givers Foundation, which is Africa’s largest disaster relief organization.
12. Lyricist-writer Gulzar honoured with 2016 Tata Literature Live! Poet Laureate Award.
The award was presented to Gulzar, an Oscar and Grammy Award winner, at the inaugural of the festival on 17th November 2016.
13. Thiruvananthapuram has been termed as the country’s breast cancer capital, with cases at a record high of 40 per lakh of population.
9 lakh women are diagnosed with breast cancer every year.
14. Actor-turned-author Twinkle Khanna launched her second book titled ‘The Legend of Lakshmi Prasad’.
Twinkle’s first book was ‘Mrs. Funnybones: She’s Just Like You and a Lot Like Me’, which was published in 2015.
15. The Infosys Science Foundation (ISF) announced six winners of the Infosys Prize 2016 in the six different categories of the award. The Awardees are:
Engineering and Computer Science: – V. Kumaran
Humanities: – Sunil Amrith
Life Sciences: – Gagandeep Kang
Mathematical Sciences: – Akshay Venkatesh
Physical Sciences: – Anil Bhardwaj
Social Sciences: – Kaivan Munshi
16. Iran for the first time ever surpassed Saudi Arabia to become India’s top crude oil supplier.
It was revealed by ship tracking data and a report compiled by Thomson Reuters Oil Research and Forecasts.
17. The 47th edition of the International Film Festival of India (IFFI) began in Goa.
It was inaugurated by Veteran filmmaker Ramesh Sippy in the presence of Union Information and Broadcasting Minister M. Venkaiah Naidu.
The Centenary Award for Indian Film Personality of the Year was bestowed upon Veteran singer P. Balasubrahmanyam.
The Lifetime Achievement Award at IFFI 2016 was bestowed upon legendary South Korean film director and writer Im Kwon Taek.
18. Thailand’s Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn was presented with the first ‘World Sanskrit Award’ for her exemplary contribution to the promotion of the language for the year 2015.
She is noted educator and scholar of Sanskrit and Pali.
19. Prominent Hindi writer Gyanranjan was selected for the honorary Jnangarima Manad Alankaran award 2016.
Gyanranjan is a renowned writer as well as the editor of Pahal Patrika.
20. Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan was awarded the prestigious Mother Teresa International Award by the Mumbai-based NGO Harmony Foundation.
21. Simone Biles introduced her New Book ‘Courage to Soar: A Body in Motion, A Life in Balance’.
In the Book, she opens about her life, faith, and struggles.
She is the most successful woman gymnast in American history and also the most medaled American gymnast, boasting a total of 14 world championships.
22. The Shakti Bhatt First Book Prize 2016 has been awarded to the senior journalist at the Times of India, Akshaya Mukul for his book ‘Gita Press and the Making of Hindu India’.
Mukul also won the best non-fiction book prize for Gita Press and the Making of Hindu India at the Ramnath Goenka awards.
23. Indian journalist Malini Subramaniam was conferred with the 2016 International Press Freedom Award.
She has been honored for her reporting from the Naxal-infested Bastar area and for the commitment to a free press.
24. Airtel Payments Bank Limited or Airtel Bank became the first payments bank in the country to launch live banking services in Rajasthan.
The pilot phase of the Airtel bank launched in Rajasthan aims at testing systems and processes ahead of a full-scale pan-Indian launch.
25. The OMQ (Ore, Mines & Quarries) Division of Tata Steel has been conferred with the Aqua Foundation’s Excellence Award 2016 under the category of Sustainable Development in Mining Sector.
The award was given away at an international conference, organized on sidelines of ‘Water: Smart Solutions for Growing India’ in New Delhi.
26. Indian boxer M C Mary Kom is all set to get ‘Legends Award’ from the International Boxing Association (AIBA) on its 70th anniversary on December 20.
An Olympic bronze medalist and a five-time world champion, Mary Kom is also Rajya Sabha MP now.
27. Indian actor Manoj Bajpayee has won the best performance award by an actor at the 10th Asia Pacific Screen Awards beating Nawazuddin Siddiqui, who was awarded a special mention in the same category.
Bajpayee won the award for his performance as Professor Siras in “Aligarh” directed by Hansal Mehta.
Nawazuddin won the award for his role in Kashyap’s “Raman Raghav 2.0″
28. Noted author Ruskin Bond was presented with a Lifetime Achievement Award at Times Lit Fest for his outstanding contribution in the field of literature.
Bond, moments after receiving the award, reminded his young readers of climate change in the course of conversation with writer Paro Anand.
29. Iranian film “Daughter” has won the coveted Golden Peacock award at the 47th International Film Festival of India (IFFI).
It has been directed by Reza Mirkarimi.
It is a family drama set in southern Iran. It brings out the intergenerational conflict between a strict father and a young daughter.
30. “Magical Piano”, a short film by the Toonz Media Group has won an award at the prestigious UNESCO Salon Youth Video Competition 2016.
This unique story was written by Mayul Verma, an upper primary student from Agra, India, the release said.
31. As its 2016 word of the year, Dictionary.com has chosen “xenophobia,” which means “fear or hatred of foreigners, people from different cultures, or strangers.”
Dictionary.com is the second major outlet to make their 2016 selection, following Oxford’s choice to anoint ‘post-truth’ earlier in November.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. Google has tied-up with Archaeological Survey of India for virtual tour of monuments.
Some of the major monuments are Taj Mahal, Victoria Memorial and the ruins of Hampi.
2. Pune-based Zensar Technologies acquired Foolproof Limited and three of its subsidiaries for an undisclosed sum to build its digital portfolio.
Foolproof will operate under its own brand name, and will continue to be managed by founders Peter Ballard and Tom Wood.
3. In order to counter the current cash crunch PostDemonetisation, Mumbai Metro said it will issue single and return journey token in real-time cashless transactions.
For this, Mumbai Metro One Pvt. Ltd (MMOPL) has tied up with Paytm.
4. Vodafone Business Services (VBS), the enterprise arm of Vodafone India, announced its tie-up with Google Cloud to offer G Suite.
Vodafone enterprise customers can conveniently and securely access G Suite in a pay-peruse, software as a service (SaaS) model, the company said in a statement.
5. Chinese technology company Lenovo has partnered with Paytm to ensure hassle-free cashless transactions that will benefit laptop buyers who are facing cash crunch after demonetization.
Lenovo has also collaborated with Pine Labs to allow smooth conversion of transactions into EMI.
6. RBL Bank, one of the country’s fastest growing scheduled commercial banks, and Bajaj Finance, one of the most diversified NBFCs, announced a partnership to launch a series of co-branded credit cards for Indian customers.
The first of these credit cards is proposed to be launched in Q4 of FY17.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Senior Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officer Sushil Chandra took over as chairman of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) today.
He succeeded Rani Singh Nair.
Prior to this appointment, he was working in the board as Member (Investigation).
2. Spain’s acting Prime Minister Mr. Mariano Rajoy was re-elected after winning a parliamentary vote.
3. Twitter’s India head Rishi Jaitly has dropped the post.
He was the vice-president for Asia Pacific, which includes India, West Asia and North Africa for Twitter.
4. Dr. Bindeshwar Pathak has been chosen as the Brand Ambassador of Sulabh International for “Swachh Rail Mission”.
Sulabh International has been assigned to clean some important railway stations across the country as part of the mission.
5. Sanvi Arora has been appointed as the new Ambassador of India to the Republic of Lebanon.
Lebanon, officially known as the Lebanese Republic, is a sovereign state in Western Asia.
6. Parminder Singh has resigned as Managing Director of Southeast Asia, India, Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region of Twitter.
7. Ranveer Singh will be the Indian ambassador for Switzerland Tourism.
He will promote Switzerland’s tourism campaign for 2017 – Nature wants you back!
8. Indian lawyer, Aniruddha Rajput has been elected as a member International Law Commission (ILC).
He is the first Indian nominee chosen from outside the close circuit of lawyers of the Union Ministry of External Affairs.
9. National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) will appoint BJP Vice President Avinash Rai Khanna as a member of NHRC.
10. The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has appointed Shri S.K. Sinha, IPS (BH: 83), Additional Director, IB to the post of Special Director, Intelligence Bureau.
11. M. Rajeshwar Rao has been appointed as RBI executive director.
He has given the responsibilities of the Department of Statistics and Information Management, Financial markets Operations Department and International Department.
12. Central Registry of Securitization Asset Reconstruction and Security Interest of Indiahas appointed Praveen Kumar Sharma as CEO, MD and central Registrar.
13. Donald Trump has been elected 45th President of United States.
He will be the first President of USA without political experience since Dwight D. Eisenhower (34th President).
He will succeed Barack Obama and is scheduled to take office as the President of the USA on 20 January 2017.
14. Tata Consultancy Services has appointed Ishaat Hussain as the Chairman.
Last month, Mistry was ousted as chairman of Tata Sons in a surprise move, and was replaced by Ratan Tata as interim chair.
15. California’s Attorney General Kamala Harris created history by becoming the first India-American to win the US Senate (upper chamber) seat from the state.
She defeated fellow Democrat Loretta Sanchez from her own party.
She will replace Barbara Boxer who had announced her retirement in 2014 after serving more than two decades in the Senate.
16. Guy Ryder was re-elected as the Director-General of the International Labour Organisation (ILO) for another five-year term.
He will assume the post on 1 October 2017.
17. Gurumoorthy Mahalingam took charge as Full-Time Member of SEBI and will be responsible for leading the following:
Integrated Surveillance Department
Investment Management Department
Enforcement Department (ED)
Foreign Portfolio Investors and Custodians
Collective Investment Schemes
Department of Economic and Policy Analysis
18. A top Chinese security minister Meng Hongwei has been elected president of the international crime fighting and police cooperation organization Interpol.
He is the first Chinese personnel to be appointed to the post and took charge immediately.
19. Narinder Batra became the first Indian to be elected the President of the International Hockey Federation.
He defeated David Balbirnie of Ireland and Australia’s Ken Read to become the 12th FIH President and also the first Asian to grab the post.
20. Mahindra and Mahindra appointed Pawan Goenka as Managing Director.
Anand Mahindra was re-designated as Executive Chairman.
Goenka joined Mahindra as General Manager, R&D in 1993.
He was elevated as executive director on the board in 2013
21. Private sector lender YES Bank appointed Amresh Acharya as Group President and Head of Global Indian Banking.
22. The Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borisov gave resignation of his cabinet after his party’s candidate, Tsetska Tsacheva failed to win the country’s presidential election on 14th November 2016.
23. Harish Bhatt has been appointed as the chairman of Tata Global Beverages.
Cyrus Mistry was removed as the Chairman of Tata Global Beverages by the Board on November 15, by voting for the post.
24. The Union government appointed Jagdish Singh Khehar, a judge of the Supreme Court, as the new Executive Chairman of the National Legal Services Authority (NALSA).
He succeeds Anil R. Dave who retired as Judge of Supreme Court after completing tenure of over six years.
25. The State Bank of Mauritius (SBM) Group has appointed Siby Sebastian as the Chief Executive Officer for its India operations.
Sebastian has over 20 years of banking experience and has joined SBM Group from ICICI Bank.
26. Pankaj Patel, Zydus Cadila CMD has been elected president of industry body FICCI (Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry) for 2017.
He will take over Ambuja Neotia Group Chairman Harshavardhan Neotia after he completes his term next month.
27. Dr. Olumuyiwa Benard Aliu of Nigeria was re-elected by acclamation today for a second three-year term as President of the Council of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).
28. Pankaj Patel was elected as the President of FICCI for the year 2017.
He will take over after incumbent Ambuja Neotia Group Chairman Harshavardhan Neotia completes his term in December 2016.
29. US President Donald Trump has named Indian-American Governor of South Carolina State, Nikki Haley for the high-profile post of US ambassador to the United Nations.
She becomes the first Indian-American to be appointed to a Cabinet-level post in any US administration.
30. The Union Government has appointed Yudhvir Singh Malik as the Chairman of National Highways Authority of India (NHAI).
He will succeed outgoing chairman Raghav Chandra who has been moved as secretary to the National Commission for Scheduled Tribes.
31. Upma Chowdhary was appointed as new Director of Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration (LBSNAA) at Mussoorie.
She will be the 23rd director and first woman director of LBSNAA. She will replace Rajeev Kapoor.
32. The Chancellor of Nalanda University, George Yeo, resigned citing that earlier he was assured of the University’s autonomy but now things had changed.
Yeo was appointed Chancellor in July 2015.
33. The Tata Steel board has sacked Cyrus Mistry as chairman and replaced him with OP Bhatt, an independent director.
He has earlier worked as SBI chairman. However, Mistry remains a director of Tata Steel.
34. Naspers-backed PayU India has announced the appointment of Maneesh Goel as its new chief financial officer.
35. Lt. Gen. Qamar Javed Bajwa was appointed Pakistan’s new army chief (or Chief of Army Staff, COAS).
He will succeed Gen. Raheel Sharif who has formally retired from service.
36. Former Hockey player Mariamma Koshy took charge of Hockey India as its president with immediate effect.
Hockey India, during its 41st Hockey India Executive Board meet, announced that Koshy will head the national body.
37. Susan Kiefel has been named as the next Chief Justice of the Australian High Court, the first woman to take on the role.
Justice Kiefel will replace the outgoing Chief Justice Robert French, who ends his term on the High Court bench because he has reached the mandatory retirement age of 70
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The Union Finance Minister, Arun Jaitely along with the GST Council Members has finalized 4-level GST rate structure with a multiple-slab rate, including the cess for the new indirect tax regime.
Thus, GST will be levied at multiple rates ranging from 0% to 28%.
2. The new law to prohibit benami transactions will come into effect from 1st November, 2016.
The existing Benami Transactions (Prohibition) Act will be renamed as the Prohibition of Benami Property Transactions Act (PBPT Act).
3. Union Government has decided to launch a clean energy equity fund of 2 billion US dollar.
Private and public companies will be able to dip into an initial amount of more than $1 billion starting next fiscal year.
4. The World Bank has ranked Andhra Pradesh as the best state in the country in implementation of energy efficiency and conservation programmes.
With an overall score of 42.01, AP has emerged on top followed by Rajasthan with 41.89, Karnataka 39.34 and Maharashtra 39.29 in Energy Efficiency Readiness.
5. ICICI Bank announced a cut in home loan rate by 0.15 per cent for new borrowers.
At the same time, the new rate for salaried class has been reduced to 9.20 per cent, as against 9.35 per cent earlier.
6. The Centre has fined Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) and its partners BP and Niko slapped a nearly Rs.10000 crore.
The fine is levied due to pumping out gas that flowed to the Krishna Godavari-D6 Block from an adjoining field owned by ONGC.
7. The Indian Steel Association (ISA) has asked the Central Government not to impose any anti-dumping duty on Metallurgical Coke (met coke) fearing cost escalation of their products.
A levy of anti-dumping duty on met coke will have a cost-push effect on the steel sector.
It will fuel further the cost of steel making, resulting in an increase in the cost of finished steel.
8. Google Capital, the search giant’s venture arm that invests in growth-stage companies, has changed its name to “CapitalG”.
The old GoogleCapital.com domain now forwards to CapitalG.com.
9. RBI has issued new series of currency.
It includes INR 500 and INR 2000 notes with new features and size.
10. Asian Development Bank granted loan of 48 million dollars to Assam to improve power distribution.
It will be used to enhance capacity and efficiency of its power distribution system to improve electricity service to end user.
11. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) approved a three-year $12 billion loan program for Egypt.
The loan will help in boosting Egypt’s foreign currency inflows.
12. TAFE, the world’s third largest tractor maker, in collaboration with the Rajasthan government, is setting up a Centre of Excellence “JFarm Rajasthan” and a Custom Hiring Centre in six zones in Rajasthan at a total outlay of Rs.970 crore.
13. RBI formed a Special Task Force to speed up the process of recalibration of automated teller machines (ATM) to dispense the new denomination notes.
The Special Task Force will be headed by S Mundra, Deputy Governor, RBI.
Representatives from the Union Finance and Home Ministries, RBI, State Bank of India, ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, Axis Bank and the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) will be its members.
14. Federal Bank, India’s major commercial bank in the private sector received Reserve Bank of India (RBI)’s permission to open its branch at the Dubai International Financial Centre.
It is the first international branch of the bank.
15. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) hiked the Minimum Support Price (MSP) of wheat and pulses to boost their output and check prices.
The MSP of wheat was hiked by 100 rupees per quintal for the 2016-17 rabi crop.
16. 16 of 22 public sector banks skipped paying dividends to Government in fiscal 2015-16 due to the issue of mounting bad loans.
It has led to a 67% decline in government receipts to Rs. 1,444.6 crore.
17. RBI has proposed the opening of Islamic window in conventional banks for the gradual introduction of Sharia-compliant or interest-free banking in the country.
In this regard, RBI has also prepared a technical analysis report and submitted to the Union Finance Ministry for its consideration.
18. As per a report on global wealth published by Credit Suisse, the total quantum of wealth in India is rising but the disparity between rich and poor is also rising.
The report says that the uneven growth has left 96% of the adult population in India at the base of the wealth pyramid with wealth below $10,000.
19. The Union Government has allowed NABARD to disburse Rs 21,000 crore to help cash-starved farmers to sow Rabi crops.
The money will be disbursed by NABARD to District Central Cooperative Banks (DCCBs) which will enable them to pass on grant funds to the primary agriculture cooperatives.
20. The Union Government has imposed safeguard duty on import of certain steel products to protect domestic manufacturers from cheap inbound shipments.
It was imposed by the Revenue Department on steel products like hot rolled flat sheets and plates of alloy (excluding hot rolled flat products in coil form) or non-alloy steel.
21. YES Bank, the fifth largest private sector bank, has announced a partnership with Gujarat State Road Transport Corporation (GSRTC) to digitize payment of bus tickets for its customers.
For this, the bank will install over 125 points of sale (PoS) terminals to facilitate booking through credit and debit cards at all GSRTC bus depots.
22. The Union Government has constituted a new committee to form a strategy to expedite the process of transforming India into a cashless economy.
The committee will be headed by Niti Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant.
It has been tasked with identifying various bottlenecks affecting access to digital payments.
23. The Telangana government along with IDFC Bank took the initiative to enable cashless transactions to ease the “change” problem.
Those, who are shopping for vegetables were issued coupons worth Rs 5, Rs 10 and Rs 20 so that the vendors don’t suffer a loss
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. The Union Ministry of Housing has notified the Real Estate (Regulation and Development) (General) Rules, 2016, to be applicable to the five Union Territories.
These five Union Territories are Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Dadra & Nagar Haveli, Daman & Diu, Lakshadweep and Chandigarh.
2. The Union Cabinet approved constitution of ‘special committee for inter-linking of rivers’ in compliance with a 2012 Supreme Court order.
The constitution of the committee will help in monitoring precious projects to be carried out under its National Perspective Plan, 1980.
3. The Union Cabinet has approved an introduction of the Merchant Shipping Bill, 2016 in the Parliament.
The bill is a revamped version of the Merchant Shipping Act, 1958.
It seeks to repeal Merchant Shipping Act, 1958 as well the Coasting Vessels Act, 1838.
4. RBI has announced an incremental cash reserve ratio (CRR) of 100 per cent for banks for the fortnight beginning 26th November 2016 in order to tackle the surge in deposits following demonetization of Rs 500 and Rs 1000 notes.
5. South Indian Bank has launched a contactless debit card, which will make use of the Near Field Communication (NFC) technology.
Once the merchant enters the purchase amount into the contactless PoS terminal, the customer simply has to just wave the card on the terminal and the payment is processed wirelessly in a fast and secure manner.
6. After petrol pumps, cash can now be withdrawn by swiping debit cards at select Ola cabs as India’s largest ride-hailing service partners with lenders like State Bank of India (SBI) and Punjab National Bank to ease cash crunch.
POS machines are being installed by Ola on a test basis in its cabs in Kolkata and Hyderabad where taxis with a bank officer and POS machine are parked at different locations and dispense cash of Rs. 2,000 per card.
7. The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) has set up two high-level advisory committees to gather inputs from experts, including on service providers and corporate liquidation.
IBBI has been set up under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016 and is expected to soon operationalize.
8. American Morgan Stanley has lowered its growth forecast for FY’17 to 7.3% from 7.7% earlier on account of currency replacement programme.
9. Commerce and industry minister Nirmala Sitharaman said the economy grew by 7.1 per cent in the first half of 2016-17.
The economy grew by a five-quarter low of 7.1 per cent in the first three months. Figures for the second quarter are to come on 1st December.
10. Utkarsh Micro Finance has received the final license from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to start operations as Small Finance Bank (SFB).
The new SFB will be named as ‘Utkarsh Small Finance Bank Ltd’ and is likely to start banking operations in early 2017, the company said in the statement.
11. ICICI Bank announced that it will transform 100 villages into ‘Digital Villages’ in as many days as part of its continuing effort to provide digital ecosystem across the country, including rural India.
Under this initiative, villagers will be able to open bank accounts using Aadharbased e-KYC and make cashless payments to retail stores through an SMS/USSDbased mobile solution.
12. Home-grown food brand Amul will now sell its products in the US through online retailer Amazon‘s global selling programme.
Starting with Amul Ghee, the Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF), which markets brand Amul, will subsequently offer other products through this exclusive association in the US where it has been exporting since the last 20 years
13. The Union Government has introduced the Taxation Laws (Second Amendment) Bill, 2016 (‘the Bill’) in the Parliament.
The bill amends existing tax laws to impose a higher rate of tax and penalty in respect of undisclosed incomes.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. The European Union (EU) and Canada have signed Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA), a landmark trade deal.
It links single European Union market with Canada, world’s 10th largest economy.
It will add around €11.6 billion to the EU economy and around €8.2 billion to Canada’s economy.
2. India and Palestine have signed a MoU for setting up a Palestine-India Techno Park in Ramallah, Palestine.
3. The Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation has signed MoU with Common Services Centre (CSC), an SPV of Ministry of Information Technology for online submission of applications under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana.
4. LinkedIn signs MoU with HRD Ministry to Provide Jobs for Netizens in an Easy way.
This is to try trying something new to provide better job opportunities to students.
5. TCS signs MoU with University of New South Wales to pursue technology research collaboration in the areas of common interest such as machine learning, virtual reality, robotics, data analytics, and cloud computing.
IRCTC ties up with MobiKwik for Tatkal bookings.
This MoU will help users at the time of delay of payments while booking tatkal tickets.
6. DRDO has signed a MoU with IIT Delhi to establish a Joint Advanced Technology Centre (JATC).
The JATC will be located in the campus of IIT Delhi at the upcoming Science and Technology Park (Mini-Science Park ‘MSP’).
7. India and Sri Lanka have agreed to set up a Joint Working Group (JWG) on Fisheries and hotline between their Coast Guards to address long-standing issue of fishermen from Tamil Nadu.
These mechanisms aim to help find a permanent solution to the fishermen issues.
8. India and UK has signed 2 MoU. The fields of the agreement are:
Intellectual property (IP).
Bilateral cooperation on raising ease of doing business.
9. Corporation Bank has signed a MoU with the Indian Army on the defense salary package.
As per the MoU Corporation Bank would provide free services to the Army.
10. Maharashtra government has signed an agreement with Canada.
The MoU was about implementing a joint action plan on urban infrastructure development in the state.
11. India and Japan have signed ten agreements to boost the bilateral cooperation between the two nations. Agreements signed are as follows:
Agreement for Cooperation in Peaceful uses of Nuclear Energy
Memorandum of Cooperation (MOC) on the Manufacturing Skill Transfer Promotion Program
MoU on Cooperation in the Field of Outer Space
MoU on Mutual Collaboration in Marine and Earth Science and Technology
MoC in the Field of Agriculture and Food Related Industry
MoU for Transport and Urban Development
MoU in the Field of Textiles
MOC in the Field of Cultural Exchange
MoC on Cooperation in Sports
MOU between Gujarat and Hyogo Prefectural Government
12. Commerce and Industry Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and Bhutan’s Economic Affairs Minister Tengye Lyonpo Lekey Dorji signed an agreement on trade and commerce in New Delhi.
The first agreement was signed in 1972.
13. Over 20 countries, including India, Brazil and France signed the framework agreement of the International Solar Alliance (ISA).
The framework agreement of ISA was opened for signatures on the sidelines of CoP22 to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) at Marrakech, in Morocco.
14. The Union Government and Asian Development Bank (ADB) inked a $500-million loan agreement to build a 9.8 km long road bridge across the Ganga River in Bihar.
It will be country’s longest river bridge and shall provide better connectivity between North and South Bihar and also Patna and its surrounding areas.
15. India and Israel inked two agreements in the field of water resources management and agriculture.
16. The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) signed three Bilateral Advance Pricing Agreements (APAs) with the Competent Authority of United Kingdom (UK) to reduce tax litigation. Benefits of the MoU are:
Boost to economy and ease of doing business.
Provide an alternative path to the investors with rollback provision to reduce litigation.
Strengthen Government’s mission of fostering a non-adversarial tax regime.
17. India and Cyprus inked a revised Agreement for Avoidance of Double Taxation and Prevention of Fiscal evasion (DTAA) with respect to taxes on income, along with its Protocol.
It will replace the existing DTAA that was signed by two countries in June 1994.
18. India and Switzerland signed a Joint Declaration for implementation of Automatic Exchange of Information (AEOI) in respect of accounts of Indians held abroad.
Under the pact, both countries will start collecting data in accordance with the global standards in 2018 and exchange it from 2019 onwards.
19. Colombian Government signed a revised peace agreement with the country’s largest rebel movement, Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC).
The revised document was signed between President Juan Manual Santos and FARC leader Rodrigo Londono in Bogota, the capital city of Colombia.
20. Canara Bank, a public sector bank, and Bajaj Allianz General Insurance, a private general insurance company, have signed a corporate agency agreement for the distribution of Bajaj Allianz’s general insurance products.
Both have set a target to achieve Rs. 400 crore business in the first year (FY 2017-18) of operations by utilizing Canara Bank’s 5,920 branch network spread across the country.
Science & Technology:
1. Researchers from IISER Thiruvananthapuram have developed a compound “gelator” to scoop out marine oil spills.
Unlike other alternatives, the gelators, which are in a powder form, can be easily applied over oil-water mixture and do not cause any environmental damage.
2. NHPC has announced commissioned of 50 MW wind power project in Jaisalmer, Rajasthan.
The project consist of 25 nos wind turbine generators each of 2 MW capacity, which has been successfully synchronised with grid in October 2016.
3. After 20 years of hard work and dedication, NASA has finally completed the construction of the largest-ever space telescope – James Webb Space Telescope (JWST).
The telescope is expected to be launched in 2018 after being tested.
4. The first titanium project of India has started its test production in Ganjam district of Odisha.
The project has been established by Saraf Group.
After inception this plant is expected to produce 36,000 tons of titanium slag and 20,000 tons of pig iron per year.
5. Yes Bank launches new mobile banking app “Yes Mobile 2.0”.
The app will allow customers to undertake most transactions on the app including Net Banking registration, thereby eliminating the need to visit the website or a banking branch.
6. India’s first banking robot was launched by the Kumbakonam-based City Union Bank (CUB) in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
It was named Lakshmi.
It will be first on-site humanoid (robot) in India.
7. NASA’s Infrared Telescope Facility (IRTF) has observed Presence of water on Psyche.
Psyche is the largest metallic asteroid in our solar system.
8. Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas, Shri Dharmendra Pradhan has launched first Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) fueled bus in Kerala.
It has been a joint effort of Petronet LNG Limited (PLL), Indian Oil Corporation Ltd and Tata Motors Ltd to introduce LNG as a fuel in commercial vehicles in the state capital.
9. Researchers from Hyderabad isolated Helicobacter pullorum bacterium in chicken.
It might be the source of transmission of the multidrug resistance pathogen to humans.
This is the first evidence on prevalence and isolation of H. pullorum multidrug resistance bacterium from broilers and free-range chicken sold in Indian markets.
10. The Supermoon on 14th November 2016 was observed brightest after the moon was closest to the Earth at 356,509 km.
This is the first time moon came closest to Earth since 1948.
Last time, the moon came closer to earth on 26 January 1948.
Next time the supermoon will be observed on 25 November 2034.
11. According to the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), the year 2016 was the warmest year on record globally.
It was mentioned in the WMO’s preliminary assessment provided in its ‘Status of the Global Climate in 2016’
Global temperatures for January to September 2016 were 1.2°C above pre-industrial levels and 0.88°C above the average for the 1961-1990 reference period (baseline).
12. Rustom-II (TAPAS 201), India’s indigenously developed long-endurance combat-capable drone successfully completed its maiden flight.
The test flight took place from Aeronautical Test Range (ATR), Chitradurga (Karnataka).
5. First-ever brain implant was performed by doctors from Netherlands on a 58-year-old woman paralyzed by Lou Gehrig’s disease (also known as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis-ALS).
She became the first patient to use a brain-computer interface.
The implant has enabled paralyzed women to communicate in day-to-day life via a speech computer.
13. Scientists improved the photosynthesis process in the plants to produce faster-growing crops.
The breakthrough has increased the yield in the experimental crop by 15 per cent. This is seen as a critical step towards increasing crop production to feed a growing global population.
14. The Indian Navy formally inducted four types of indigenously developed sonars that will boost its underwater surveillance capability. These 4 types of sonars are:
15. The twin trial of surface-to-surface nuclear capable Prithvi-II missile was successfully conducted by the India Army from a test range at Chandipur in Odisha.
During the test, two Prithvi-II missiles in salvo mode were successfully test-fired in quick succession from a mobile launcher from launch complex-3 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR).
16. Scientists developed Zika replicon system, a novel tool to replicate the Zika virus by stripping it of the genes that make the virus infectious.
The Zika replicon system is considered as an advance novel tool that may pave the way for development vaccine to fight Zika virus.
17. China launched world’s longest super-secure quantum communication line connecting Hefei, the capital of Anhui province to Shanghai, the country’s financial hub.
The super-secure quantum communication line is 712-km in length.
It boasts of ultra-high security making it impossible to wiretap, intercept or crack the information transmitted through them.
18. NASA successfully launched highly advanced geostationary weather satellite Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite-R (GOES-R).
The satellite will boost the US’s weather observation capabilities, leading to more accurate and timely forecasts, watches and warnings.
19. Scientists have discovered a new ‘Super-Earth’ type exoplanet named as GJ 536b orbiting a very bright star near to our Sun.
The planet was jointly detected by Instituto de Astrofisica de Canarias (IAC) and the Geneva Observatory.
20. INS Chennai, a Kolkata-class stealth Guided missile destroyer ship was commissioned into Indian Navy’s combat fleet by Defence minister Manohar Parrikar in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
It is the largest-ever warship to be built in India.
It is third and last Kolkata-class guided-missile destroyers built under Project 15A.
21. The indigenously built nuclear capable Agni-I ballistic missile was successfully test-fired from a test range off Odisha coast, as part of a user trial by India Army.
It was test-fired from a mobile launcher from the launch pad-4 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Abdul Kalam Island (Wheeler Island).
22. Andhra Pradesh Government launched the ‘Smart Water Distribution Monitoring’ web interface.
The monitoring portal is a part of ourvmc.org from where it can be accessed.
Using this portal, people can check the status of drinking water in the water tanks nearby
23. China successfully launched its fourth data satellite named Tianlian I-04.
The satellite will join its three predecessors to achieve global network operation.
24. The upgraded Jaguar DARIN III twin-seat aircraft received Initial Operation Clearance (IOC).
It is considered as a significant milestone for the country’s military aviation sector.
The satisfactory completion of IOC was announced by Deputy Chief of IAF, Air Marshal RKS Bhadauria who had flown the aircraft at HAL airport in Bengaluru.
25. Prime Minister Narendra Modi recently had launched the “Indian Police at Your Call” mobile app at a national police conference held in Hyderabad.
It was organized by the Intelligence Bureau (IB).
The app is a GIS Map based interface for the citizens to locate police stations near to their current location so that they can easily reach the police station in case of emergency.
26. Digital wallet firm MobiKwik has launched a data-light version of its mobile application, targeting smartphone users and small business owners who face challenges of slow Internet connectivity that hampers access to digital payments.
No email ID will be required for signing up.
27. State-run power equipment maker BHEL commissioned a 93 MW steam turbine-based captive power plant (CPP) at Hazira in Gujarat for Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL).
This is the second unit of the 4×93 MW steam turbine-based CPP, being set up by BHEL for RIL at Hazira.
28. Indian Navy’s seventh landing craft utility (LCU) L-57 was launched by Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Ltd (GRSE) in Kolkata, West Bengal.
LCU L-57 is the largest ship of this kind built anywhere in the world.
It is the seventh vessel in the series of eight LCU Ships being designed and built by GRSE for the Indian Navy.
29. Scientists from the Czech Republic have developed a model of a functioning human lung using 3D printing and other technologies.
It has received three patents for its modeling.
The model was developed by the research group from the Brno University of Technology.
It can be used to simulate problems like asthma or other chronic diseases and their treatments.
1. Rashtriya Ekta Diwas (National Unity Day) observed across India on 31 October to commemorate birth anniversary of Independent India’s first Deputy Prime Minister Sardar Vallabhai Patel.
2016 Theme was “Integration of India”.
2. The World observed Cities Day globally on 31st October to work together for a planned and sustainable urban life in the wake of rapid growth of population and problems.
2016 Theme was “Inclusive Cities, Shared Development”.
3. The 128th birth anniversary of Nobel laureate Bharat Ratna Sir CV Raman was observed on 7th November, 2016.
He had discovered Raman Effect, a scientific phenomenon of scattering of light which makes the sea and clear sky look blue that earned him the 1930 Nobel Prize for Physics.
He was the first recipient of the Bharat Ratna along with politician C. Rajagopalachari, and philosopher Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan.
4. The World Science Day for Peace and Development was observed on 10th November 2016 across the world.
It was celebrated to raise awareness of benefits of science in our daily life.
2016 Theme was “Celebrating Science Centres and Science Museums”.
5. World Diabetes day was observed on 14th November 2016 by International Diabetes Federation and WHO.
The theme for 2016 is Eyes on Diabetes.
It is celebrated in the memory of Frederick, founder of insulin.
6. The International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women (IDEVAW) is observed every year across the world on 25th November.
Observance of this day seeks to raise awareness about violence against women and girls, end the violence against the women.
2016 Theme was “Orange the World – raise funds to end violence against women”.
7. The Samvidhan Diwas (Constitution Day) of India is being observed on 26th November to spread awareness of Indian Constitution.
On this day in 1949, the constitution of India was adopted and came into force on 26th January 1950 marking the beginning of a new era in the history of free India.
1. Hindi writer Hridyesh Mehrotra passed away.
He had penned 13 novels, including ‘Safed Ghoda Kala Sawar’, and 26 collections of short stories.
He was recipient of Sahitya Bhushan and Pahal Sanman awards of the UP government.
2. Former Deputy CM Pandit Mangat Ram has passed away.
Sharma was Deputy Chief Minister in the PDP-Congress coalition government formed by then Chief Minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed after the 2002 assembly elections.
3. The Padma Shri singer and Composer of Sri Lanka Pandit Amaradeva has passed away recently.
The musician has been the recipient of several awards, including the Ramon Magsaysay Award (2001), Padma Shri (2002) and Sri Lankan President’s Award of Kala Keerthi (1986) and Deshamanya Award (1998).
4. Janet Reno, the first woman to be appointed as Attorney General of US, died. She was 78.
She was battling with Parkinson’s disease.
In 1978 Reno was appointed State Attorney for Dade County (now called Miami-Dade County).
5. Arthur Nayyar (A. Nayyar), the renowned ghazal and film singer passed away.
He started his career in 1974, sung hundreds of ghazals and songs for the films.
6. Mota Singh, an Indian-origin Sikh judge of UK, died. He was 86.
He was UK’s first-ever ethnic minority judge to sit on the English Bench wearing a turban instead of a horse-hair wig.
Mota Singh, a Ramgarhia Sikh, was born in 1930 in Nairobi, Kenya.
7. Former Jammu and Kashmir Governor Lt. Gen S K Sinha passed away after brief illness. He was 92.
Gen Sinha had joined the army in 1943 and has also served as India’s Ambassador to Nepal and as the Governor of Assam.
8. Legendary vocalist, playback singer, and composer Mangalampalli Balamuralikrishna passed away due to age-related geriatric problems in Chennai. He was 86.
He was considered as a doyen of classical music.
During his long musical career, he had excelled as a prominent Carnatic vocalist, multi-instrumentalist, playback singer, composer, and actor.
He received awards like Padma Vibhusan (1991), Mahatma Gandhi Silver Medal from UNESCO (1995), France’s Chevalier of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres.
9. Veteran Congress leader and former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Ram Naresh Yadav passed away at SGPGI Lucknow after a prolonged illness.
10. Renowned Hindi and Bhojpuri litterateur Dr. Viveki Rai passed away in a Varanasi hospital after an illness.
11. Renowned scientist Mambillikalathil Govind Kumar Menon, who spearheaded many scientific and development missions passed away. He was 88.
Menon became the director of Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai in 1966 at the age of 38.
He also headed the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) for nine months in 1972.
12. Cuba’s former president and leader of the Communist revolution Fidel Castro passed away due to old age. He was 90.
He was commander in chief of the 1959 Cuban revolution 1959 and had successfully built a communist state on the doorstep of the United States during Cold War.
13. Eminent Journalist and intellectual Dileep Padgaonkar passed away in Pune, Maharashtra after a brief illness. He was 72.
Padgaonkar along with Prof. Radha Kumar and Information Commissioner Prof. M M Ansari were part of the three-member interlocutors’ team chosen by the Union Government in 2010 to design a road map for peace in strife-torn Jammu and Kashmir.
14. Russian aircraft designer and co-creator of the MiG-29 fighter jet Ivan Mikoyan passed away. He was 89.
He had the majority of his career as a leading engineer at the ‘MiG’ Aircraft Corporation’s design bureau, which was founded by his uncle Artyom Mikoyan.
15. Noted Marathi author Anand Yadav passed away in Pune, Maharashtra. He was 80.
His autobiography novel ‘Zombi’ had won him prestigious Sahitya Akadmi award in 1991.
16. Cuba’s former president Fidel Castro, one of the world’s longest-serving and most iconic leaders, has died aged 90.
Castro toppled the government in 1959, introducing a Communist revolution.
He defied the US for decades, surviving many assassination plots.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images