Read Current Affairs of last month online, all summarized well into one digest GK Eduwrap. Also, covering all the latest questions of General Knowledge asked in General Awareness for Bank PO.
National – Across the India:
1. According to the recent publication released by the Botanical Survey of India (BSI), Tamil Nadu accounts for the highest number flowering plants in the country.
The publication titled Endemic Vascular Plants of India also revealed that almost one of every four species of flowering plants found in India are endemic to the country.
2. The Union Finance Ministry has decided that sports infrastructure will be included under the harmonized master list of infrastructure sub-sectors.
It will include sports stadia and infrastructure for academies for training and research in sports and sports-related activities in the infrastructure sub-sectors.
3. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated India Sanitation conference (INDOSAN) in New Delhi ahead of the second anniversary of Swachh Bharat Mission.
INDOSAN is envisaged as an annual national event that seeks to bring together all stakeholders working in sanitation.
4. The Delhi International Airport Limited announced that the Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) has become the first airport in the Asia Pacific region to achieve carbon neutral status.
5. Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu flagged off an all-women Mt Gorichen expedition.
This will be the first all-women team attempting to summit the second highest peak in the state.
It is considered as a technical peak and only seasoned climbers can make it to the top (6,488 m).
6. Jharkhand becomes first state to implement Direct Benefit Transfer in Kerosene.
The scheme is being implemented in four identified districts of the State namely Chatra, Hazaribagh, Khunti, and Jamtara.
7. Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis declares Nagpur first digital district of India.
8. Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has launched Indian Bridge Management System.
IBMS is being developed to create an inventory of all bridges in the country and rate their structural condition so that timely repair and rehabilitation work can be carried out based on the criticality of the structure.
9. Union Finance Ministry sets up Public Debt Management Cell.
It is created to streamline government borrowings and better cash management with the overall objective of deepening bond markets.
10. Union Cabinet has approved setting up of India’s first Medipark in Tamil Nadu.
It will boost the local manufacturing of hi-end products at a significantly lower cost, resulting in affordable healthcare delivery to a large section of people.
11. India is hosting the 2016 Asian Ministerial Conference for Disaster Risk Reduction (AMCDRR) from November 3 to 5, 2016 in New Delhi.
It will set the direction of Sendai Framework implementation in the region.
12. Terminal 3 of Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) achieved Platinum rating from Indian Green Building Council (IGBC).
It was announced by Delhi International Airport Limited (DIAL)
13. Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh announced that India-Pakistan border will be completely sealed by December 2018.
The reason is the rising tensions between India and Pakistan following the surgical strikes across the Line of Control.
14. Maharashtra became 17th state to join Central Government’s Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojna (UDAY) scheme.
It will help Maharashtra to reap benefits worth INR 9,725 crore by way of cheaper funds, transmission losses, energy efficiency and coal reforms during the period of the turnaround.
15. A high altitude glaciological research station ‘Himansh’ has begun functioning above 13,500 ft. in a remote region in Spiti, Himachal Pradesh.
Himansh station will provide much-needed fillip to the scientific research on Himalayan glaciers and its hydrological contribution.
16. The Union Government has extended anti-dumping duty on import of certain Chinese products, used in garment, toys and footwear manufacturing, for another five years i.e. till 2021.
This extension will protect domestic industry from the harm caused by dumping (import) of the cheap Chinese products.
17. Lalima Abhiyan will be launch by Madhya Pradesh government to make state free from anaemia.
It will be effective from November 1, 2016 in Madhya Pradesh.
18. Telangana has added 31 new districts in its map.
The administration should have up to date information on the districts and their residents over the implementation of various Government programmes as the total population in each of them would only be in lakhs.
19. The Arena by TransStadia in Ahmedabad, venue of the ongoing Kabaddi World Cup, is India’s first convertible stadium.
This project converts an outdoor stadium into an indoor arena in 6 minutes at a touch of a button.
The facility has a seating capacity of 20,000 and can house 14 sports which include football but not cricket.
20. The Union Government is going to float tenders to invite bids for the development for 36 inland waterways projects in the first phase.
This move will help to tap the huge potential in the so-far-untapped inland waterways transport segment despite India being endowed with natural rivers suitable for it.
21. The Union Cabinet has approved the establishment of IIM at Jammu.
It will become operational from the Academic Year 2016-17 at the transit or temporary campus at Old Government College of Engineering & Technology.
22. Maldives leaves Commonwealth after warnings over democracy.
Maldives has announced its decision to leave the saying it was treated unjustly and unfairly by the Commonwealth.
23. India has received the first parcel of crude oil from Iran to partly fill the strategic storage in southern India as part of the Strategic Petroleum Reserves (SPRs) storage.
24. Rajnath Singh inaugurates 10 days long ‘Rashtriya Sanskriti Mahotsav – 2016’.
The celebrated festival will continue to connect people with India’s rich culture till 24th October, 2016.
25. PM Narendra Modi unveiled the war memorial ‘Shaurya Smarak’ in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
The ‘Shaurya Smarak’ was constructed by the state government in honour of those who laid down their lives for the country.
26. The mines ministry came out with mining surveillance system (MSS).
It is a pan India surveillance network using latest satellite technology, to check illegal mining.
27. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated three hydro-electric projects (HEPs) with a generating capacity of 1,732 MW in Himachal Pradesh.
These three hydro-electric projects are:
28. Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched national SC/ST (Schedule Castes/Schedule Tribes) hub in Ludhiana.
It is for the welfare of SC/ST entrepreneurs.
The hub was started with an initial outlay of 490 crore rupees.
29. Kashmiri Hangul, a stag will be counted in “Critically Endangered” category by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).
30. The Election Commission of India hosted the first ever International Conference on Voter Education in New Delhi.
It has been organized with an aim to share best practices, initiatives and policies of voter education by election management bodies.
31. The Union Ministry of Railways has declared the Okha-Kanalus and the Porbandar-Wansjaliya railway sections of Gujarat as Green Train Corridors.
All trains passing on these 175-km long lines (141-km-long Okha-Kanalus route and the 34-km-long Porbandar-Wansjaliya route) are now equipped with bio-toilets.
32. Maharashtra Government launched Kaushalya SETU (Self-Employment and Talent Utilisation) initiative.
This is a skill development programme for students.
It is likely to generate employment for as many as 7.5 lakh people in state.
33. The Union Government has launched the regional air connectivity scheme UDAN (Ude Desh ka Aam Naagrik).
It seeks to get more people to fly in the smaller towns.
It will be rolled out by January, 2017 and will be in operation for a period of 10 years.
34. Narendra Modi has launched #Sandesh2Soldiers campaign to wish the soldiers on the eve of Diwali.
Through this campaign, people can send their blessing to soldiers.
35. India’s first Railway University is going to be established in Vadodara.
The state government was helping Indian Railways to identify the land to set up a full-fledged railway university.
The present campus for National Academy of Indian Railways (NAIR), Vadodara, (at Pratap Vilas Palace) will be initially used to start the railway university.
36. President Pranav Mukherjee has inaugurated the Sardar Patel Heart Institute at Ankleshwar in Gujarat.
The hospital is endowed with all modern facilities and advanced technologies.
37. TRAI has recommended Department of Telecom (DoT) to impose combined penalty of 3,050 crore rupees on Bharti Airtel, Vodafone and Idea cellular.
It was found that users of reliance Jio were unable to contact these networks.
38. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched Urja Ganga, the highly ambitious gas pipeline project in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
This project aims to provide piped cooking (PNG) gas to residents of the eastern region of the country and CNG gas for the vehicles.
39. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the first National Tribal Carnival in New Delhi to promote a sense of inclusiveness among the tribals.
The main purpose of this four-day carnival is to promote a sense of inclusiveness among the tribals.
40. The Uttarakhand High Court ordered state government to put a ban on the sale of whitener in the state following the death of a teenager from sniffing an excess of it.
The High Court issued the order by taking suo motu cognisance of the death of the 14-year-old boy due to sniffing excess whitener for a kick.
41. Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal has announced 2017 as the “Garib Kalyan Varsh”.
42. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the first National Tribal Carnival in New Delhi.
43. The one-man judicial committee on One Rank One Pension submitted its report to the Defense Minister Shri Manohar Parrikar.
The Central Government had appointed the committee under the Chairmanship of Justice L Narasimha Reddy, retired Chief Justice of Patna High Court.
44. The Union Cabinet approved establishment and operationalization of a National Academic Depository.
The decision aims at bringing another dimension and enhancement of the vision of Digital India.
45. The Union Cabinet has given its ex-post facto approval to formation of the Indian Institute of Science Education & Research (IISER) at Berhampur in Odisha.
It will begin its operations from a transit or temporary campus from the Academic Year 2016-17 for the initial three years i.e. 2016-19.
46. Himachal Pradesh was declared ‘Open Defecation Free’.
With this, the state became India’s second state to get this status after Sikkim.
47. India’s first ‘Design Yatra’ was conducted in Kerala’s Kozhikode city in between October 29-31.
It was launched by the Institute of Indian Interior Designer.
During this programme, competitions, heritage walk, talks and interaction with students has been conducted.
International – Across the Globe:
1. Pakistan has postponed the 19th South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Summit after India and four other countries announced to boycott the Summit.
The summit was scheduled to be held on November 9th and 10th, 2016 in Islamabad, the capital city of Pakistan.
2. Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan to be Chief Guest on 2017 Republic Day.
This will be the second visit by the Crown Prince within a year.
3. France has become the first country in the world to ban disposable plastic cups and plates.
A new French law will require all disposable tableware to be made from 50% biologically-sourced materials that can be composted at home by January of 2020.
4. The words Aiyoh and Aiyah were added to the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) recently.
The words aiyah and aiyoh are interchangeable. Like many Indian words, Aiyoh and Aiyah can mean many things depending on context and tone like irritation, disgust, surprise, dismay, pain, lament, disappointment.
5. The 4th BRICS Science, Technology and Innovation Ministerial Meeting was held at Jaipur, Rajasthan.
The meeting adopted a five-pronged approach: –
6. India has been ranked low 97th among the 118 countries surveyed in 2016 Global Hunger Index (GHI).
In 2016 GHI, India has scored low 28.5 on a 0-100 point scale of the index that describes India’s hunger situation as “serious.
The index was released by the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
7. The Russian and Turkish leaders have agreed to intensify military and intelligence contacts after a meeting in Istanbul, Turkey.
They also have agreed on the need for aid to get to the northern Syrian city of Aleppo.
8. India and Indonesia has kicked off their bilateral Maritime exercise at Belawan, Indonesia.
It aims for Cooperation in the field of Maritime security.
9. The first BRICS Trade Fair and Exhibition began in the National Capital, Delhi ahead of the BRICS political summit in Goa.
The fair is scheduled from October 12 – 14, 2016 at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
10. The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) has formally elected Antonio Guterres as the new Secretary-General of the United Nations.
He will succeed retiring Ban Ki-moon who has completed two five-year terms as the world’s top diplomat.
11. India has donated INR 9.3 million to the Nelson Mandela Foundation.
It will help in its welfare work for the people of South Africa.
12. Global Travel and Tourism report by world economic forum has released the most unsafe countries of the world.
India got 13th rank while Pakistan the 4th rank under most unsafe country in the world.
Nigeria was ranked as the most unsafe country with a score of 2.65.
Finland (6.7) is followed by Qatar (6.61) as the safest countries in the world.
13. The five-nation group of emerging economies – BRICS has agreed to set up an independent BRICS Rating Agency.
It is set to challenge western hegemony in the world of finance.
14. The 8th BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) summit was held from 15 to 16 October 2016 in Benaulim city of Goa, India.
15. India has been placed at 130th position among the 190 countries in the recently released World Bank’s ease of doing business index for the year 2017.
The index was released as part of the World Bank’s annual report Doing Business 2017: Equal Opportunity for All.
16. India has been ranked 87th out of 144 countries on the World Economic Forum’s (WEF) Global Gender Gap Report 2016.
India has climbed 21 spots from 108th position in 2015.
17. The fourth edition of the India-Sri Lanka Joint Military Exercise ‘MITRA SHAKTI 2016’ began at Sinha Regimental Centre in Ambepussa, Sri Lanka.
The main aim was to enhance interoperability while carrying out Counter Terrorism and Counter Insurgency operations under the UN Mandate.
18. India has ranked very poorly at 133 in a new Global Youth Development Index.
The rankings were compiled by the Commonwealth Secretariat on the countries’ prospects for young people in employment, education, health, civic and political spheres.
1. Kieren Dsouza becomes the first Indian to complete World’s toughest race, Spartathlon.
The race involves a distance of 246km from Athens to Sparta which D’Souza completed in 33 hours, 2 minutes and 25 seconds and stood 86th among 370 participants.
2. India’s Gaganjeet Bhullar wins Korea Open.
She won a long trophy drought with a one-stroke victory at the Shinhan Donghae Open in South Korea for his sixth title on the Asian Tour.
3. The Indian men’s hockey team lifted the 4th U-18 Asia Cup after defeating hosts Bangladesh 5-4 in a pulsating summit clash in Dhaka.
The young Indians held their nerves in the dying moments of the nail-biting finale as they exacted revenge for a 4-5 loss to the hosts in the tournament opener.
4. The first edition of the BRICS Under-17 Football tournament begins in Goa.
The tournament featuring Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa (BRICS) has been organized on the occasion of the 8th BRICS summit that will be held in Goa on the 15th of this month.
5. Jitu Rai wins Silver at World Cup in Italy in Shooting.
6. Sprinter Srabani Nanda has bagged the 24th Ekalabya Award for the year 2016.
She won the award in recognition of her sporting excellence.
7. The 2016 Kabaddi World Cup kicked off in the presence of captains of the 12 competing nations, including hosts India.
It will be the first time that 12 nations will participate for one grand title in Ahmedabad.
8. Andy Murray won the 2016 China Open Men’s Singles title at the National Tennis Center in Beijing, China.
He defeated Grigor Dimitrov by 6–4, 7–6.
9. Poland’s Agnieszka Radwanska won the 2016 China Open Women’s Singles at the National Tennis Center in Beijing, China.
10. Indian captain Virat Kohli was presented with the ICC Test Championship mace for leading his team to the top of the Test Team Rankings.
India was guaranteed the number-one spot on the MRF Tyres ICC Test Team Rankings after it took a 2-0 lead in Kolkata.
11. Indian shooter Jitu Rai named ‘Champion of Champions’ by ISSF.
He has been awarded for pistol shooting in 2016 by the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF).
12. Nico Rosberg of Germany and Japanese GP won the Japan Grand Prix at Suzuka Circuit.
Rosberg extended his lead over Hamilton to 33 points in the overall standings following his ninth win of the season and with four rounds remaining.
13. Ravichandran Ashwin has topped in test matches.
He was named man of the series after he finished with 27 wickets in a 3-0 sweep by India.
Now he has 220 wickets, the most by any bowler after 39 Tests.
14. The Formula-F1 driver from Australia Mark Webber will retire from professional racing at the end of this year in Bahrain.
Webber won the World Endurance Championship (WEC) title in 2015.
15. Brazil has lifted the 1st BRICS U-17 Football Tournament 2016 held in Goa.
In the Finals they defeated South Africa 5-1.
16. Indian Cricket Team has become the first team to play 900 ODIs.
900th One Day International (ODI) match between India and New Zealand was held at the HPCA stadium in Dharamshala.
Out of the 899 ODI’s, India has won 454, lost 399, tied 7, while 39 have been abandoned.
17. Sourabh Varma clinched the men’s singles title at the Chinese Taipei Open.
He defeated Malaysia’s Daren Liew in the summit clash of the $55,000 Grand Prix tournament in Taipei.
18. Four Indian wrestlers have won four medals individually including a gold medal, at the sixth edition of the TAFISA World Games held in Jakarta, Indonesia.
Dalmiya had won gold medal in 60 kg category.
Luv Singh had won the silver medal in the 80 kg category.
Naveen Kumar had won the bronze medal in 90 Kg category.
Josil had won the bronze medal in the super heavyweight category.
19. Indian boxer Neeraj Goyat retains WBC Asia welterweight title.
He defeated Australia’s Ben Kite.
20. The book titled “Driven: The Virat Kohli Story” has launched.
It is written by senior journalist Vijay Lokapally and published by Bloomsbury India.
21. Decision Review System (DRS) will be used in upcoming India- England cricket test series.
Indian Cricket Team is the only Test team not to have accepted DRS, which involves predicting the ball’s path.
22. Supreme Court has stopped all financial transactions between the BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India) and state cricket associations.
The apex court directed BCCI, the apex cricket body not to disburse any funds to state cricket associations till they resolve to abide by Justice RM Lodha Committee recommendations.
23. A wolf who radiates fun, charm and confidence has been chosen by the Russian public as the Official Mascot for the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia, named Zabivaka.
This mascot’s name signifies “the one who scores.”
24. India has won kabaddi World cup 2016.
India scored 38 and beat Iran.
25. North Korea won the 2016 FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup after defeating Japan.
26. The team of Indian Roller Skaters claimed their first ever International medal in Asian championship.
Vikram Ingale, Nikhilesh Tabhane and Dhanush Babu have won India’s first ever senior international roller skating medal, by securing the bronze medal in the 3000m team relay event in Lishui, People’s Republic of China
Awards & Recognition:
1. Murga wins first prize at Swachh Bharat Short Film Festival.
The short film was directed by young filmmaker Katyayan Shivpuri from Maharashtra.
2. Yoshinori Ohsumi of Japan won the 2016 Nobel Medicine Prize.
He won the prize for his work on Autophagy.
It is a process whereby cells “eat themselves” which when disrupted can cause Parkinson’s and diabetes.
3. South African teen Kiara Nirghin has won a $50,000 scholarship at Google Science Fair.
She developed a cheaper “super-absorbent material” that helps soil retain water using orange peel.
4. British scientists David Thouless, Duncan Haldane and Michael Kosterlitz won the 2016 Nobel Prize for Physics.
They studied in “strange states” of matter.
5. History writer Nayanjot Lahiri has won the prestigious 2016 John F. Richards Prize for her book “Ashoka in Ancient India”.
6. Trio of Jean-Pierre Sauvage, J Fraser Stoddart and Bernard L Feringa have won the prestigious 2016 Nobel Prize in Chemistry.
They are awarded for their individual efforts in developing molecular machines.
7. The International Astronautical Federation’s inducts renowned space scientist Udupi Ramachandra Rao has been awarded the Hall of Fame.
Rao was awarded for his contribution towards the development of India’s space technology.
8. Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Chamling was honoured with prestigious Sustainable Development Leadership Award by the The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI).
9. Arjun Vajpai, a professional mountaineer from Noida, became the youngest in the world to scale the Mount Cho Oyu.
It is the 6th highest mountain peak in the world at 8,188 metres above sea level.
10. Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos won the 2016 Nobel Peace Prize for FARC agreement.
A total of 376 People were nominated this year for the prize.
11. Vinaya Manchaiah, has been named to the 2016 class of the ‘Jerger Future Leaders of Audiology’ by the American Academy of Audiology.
He is an Indian-American associate professor at Lamar University in Texas
12. Chandigarh International Airports limited (CHIAL) won IBC award.
13. Veteran actor Ian McKellen was honoured at the UK Theatre Awards on for his individual contributions to British theatre.
The 77-year-old actor is known for his roles in the “X-Men” and “Lord of the Rings” films.
14. Two economists Oliver Hart and Bengt Holmstrom have won the 2016 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences.
Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has selected them for their contributions to contract theory which tells how contracts help people deal with conflicting interests.
15. Former Uttarakhand chief minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank awarded by Ugandan Govt. for his literary work.
He was awarded by the Ugandan government for promoting human values through his literature.
16. R. A. Mashelkar, former Director-General of CSIR, has been conferred the V. Krishnamurthy Award for excellence by the Hyderabad-based Centre for Organisation Development.
The award was instituted in 2000 to recognize excellence in management.
17. Kirtiraj Kundlik Gaikwad, an Indian scientist with the Department of Packaging, has been awarded the prestigious IAFP Young scientist scholarship award.
He has researched on “development of novel oxygen absorbing package in the field of active packaging for oxygen sensitive food products”.
18. Eminent writer C. Radhakrishnan was selected for the prestigious Mathrubhumi Literary Award for the year 2016.
He was selected by a panel chaired by novelist M Mukundan in recognition of his contribution to the field of literature.
19. Robert De Niro will receive Chaplin Award.
The Film Society of Lincoln Center has announced Robert De Niro as the recipient of the 44th Chaplin Award.
20. Sonam Kapoor was awarded ET Panache’s ‘Trendsetter Awards 2016′.
The award recognizes the efforts of entrepreneurs, innovators, Newsmakers and athletes whose stories inspire millions and whose services transform lives.
21. State Bank of Patiala has been awarded for Excellence in MSME lending.
22. Two doctors Randeep Guleria (Head of Pulmonology- SGRH)) and C.S. Yadav (All India Institute of Medical Sciences-AIIMS) have been selected for the prestigious Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy Award.
They both received the award for excellence in the field of medicine.
23. A team from the Indian Army’s Gorkha Rifles has won a gold medal at one of the most grueling exercises in the world.
Team 2/8 Gorkha was awarded a gold medal in Exercise Cambrian Patrol organized by the British Army.
24. Yazidi survivors and public advocates Nadia Murad and Lamiya Aji Bashar are this year’s joint laureates of the European Parliament Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought.
The Sakharov award ceremony will be held in Strasbourg on 14 December.
25. The Uttar Pradesh government has declared the list of Yash Bharti awardees 2016.
54 personalities have been selected for the coveted award for the year 2016-17.
Some of the prominent names are Bollywood actor Naseeruddin Shah, PayTM CEO Vijay Shekhar, Paralympic athlete Varun Kumar, Qawwali singers Aftab and Hashim (Sabri Brothers), Film director Saurabh Shukla.
26. Almatti dam, one of the largest reservoirs in Karnataka, was chosen for the World Bank’s Award of Excellence.
The award was given for best utilization of funds for renovation to enhance the strength of the dam.
27. Antoine Griezmann has been named as the best player in La Liga.
The awards’ ceremony was held in Valencia.
28. G. Balakrishana has won the title of Mr. Universe 2016.
He also won the Mr. Universe Under-24 junior contest in 2013 in Germany.
29. Paul Beatty has won the 2016 Man Booker Prize.
With this he becomes the first US author to win this prestigious literary award.
He was bestowed with this award for his racial satirical novel ‘The Sellout’ at a ceremony held in London’s Guildhall.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. MakeMyTrip and ibibo tied up for more successful leadership.
Founder Deep Karla who is CEO of MakeMyTrip will remain CEO.
2. The Government of India has permitted British Petroleum Company to set up 3500 petrol pumps in India.
The organization had in January this year got in-principle authorization to retail Aviation Turbine Fuel (ATF) to air carriers in India.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Riyadh Mathew, Director of Malayala Manorama, and Viveck Goenka, Chairman and Managing Director of Indian Express, were unanimously elected Chairman and Vice-Chairman respectively of PTI.
He succeeds Hormusji N. Cama, Director of Bombay Samachar. Mr. Goenka succeeds Mr. Mathew as ViceChairman.
2. The Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) reached an agreement to cut oil production for the first time since 2008 after an informal meeting in Algiers, Algeria.
It was decided that OPEC would reduce output to a range of 32.5 to 33.0 million barrels per day (bpd) from its current output at 33.24 million bpd.
3. The European Union (EU) ministers have approved the ratification of Paris Agreement (on Climate Change).
This decision brings the Paris Agreement closer to entering into force.
4. Arundhati Bhattacharya Gets Year-Long Extension as State Bank of India Chief.
Her tenure was to end on 6th October 2016.
She got the extension to oversee the merger of six smaller commercial banks into the country’s largest lender SBI.
5. Rajeev Sharma has taken over as the Chairman and Managing Director of state-run Power Finance Corporation (PFC) with effect.
6. Kersti Kaljulaid elected as first female President of Estonia.
She won vote 81-0, with 20 members absent or abstaining.
7. Somesh Sharma of Rashtradoot Saptahik was elected as president of the Indian Newspaper Society on Friday for 2016-17.
He succeeds P V Chandran of Grehalakshmi of Mathrubhumi Group.
8. R. Ravindra concurrently accredited Ambassador to Guinea.
9. Film-maker and elephant researcher Prajna Chowta has been appointed Chevalier de l’Ordre National du Mérite (Knight in the National Order of Merit).
It is one of the highest civilian recognitions of the French government.
10. Actress and BJP leader Roopa Ganguly nominated for Rajya Sabha.
She has been nominated to fill the post in Rajya Sabha vacated by cricketer turned politician Navjot Singh Sidhu, who resigned earlier this year.
11. Prasar Bharati CEO Jawhar Sircar resigns.
His term was to end in February next year.
12. Sushil Chandra appointed as the Chairman of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
13. Germany has appointed former Nasscom Chairman B. V. R. Mohan Reddy as the Honourary Consul of that country in Hyderabad.
14. Former Portuguese Prime Minister Antonio Guterres is poised to be the next United Nations Secretary-General.
He is expected to be formally recommended to the 193-member General Assembly for election by the Security Council
15. Jammu and Kashmir Bank appointed Parvez Ahmed as Chairman and CEO of the bank.
16. Senior journalist Gautam Lahiri was elected president of the Press Club of India.
Of the five contenders for the post of president, Mr Lahiri was on first position with 684 votes.
17. P.V. Sindhu now a brand ambassador of Vizag Steel.
Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Ltd (RINL), the corporate entity of Vizag Steel, has roped in top ranked Indian Badminton Player PV Sindhu as its brand ambassador.
18. Luo Zhaohui was appointed as China’s Ambassador to India.
His appointment was approved by Chinese President Xi Jinping. He succeeds former Chinese Ambassador to India Le Yucheng, who left the position in April 2016.
19. Former Indian Foreign Service officer Ms. Renu Pall has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Austria.
20. Abdelilah Bekirane, leader of Morocco’s Islamic Justice and Development Party, was appointed as country’s Prime Minister on 10th October 2016.
This will be his second term as Prime Minister of Morocco.
21. The government has appointed Reserve Bank’s Executive Director G. Mahalingam as a Whole-Time Member of markets regulator SEBI (Securities and Exchange Board of India).
22. Public lender Bank of Baroda sealed a principal sponsorship contract with badminton Olympians P. V. Sindhu and K. Srikanth.
Bank of Baroda logo will now appear on the centre chest of the two athletes’ playing jerseys in international and domestic tournaments under the aegis of Badminton World Federation Events (BWF) and Badminton Association of India-sanctioned events, respectively.
23. Softbank names Rajeev Misra as head of $100 billion tech fund.
Misra joined Softbank Group in 2014 as head of strategic finance and also works with SoftBank Internet and Media Inc, which Nikesh Arora headed as CEO.
24. Amrit Lugun concurrently accredited as the Ambassador of India to the State of Eritrea.
25. Senior IAS officer Ajay Kumar Bhalla has been appointed as new Director General of Foreign Trade (DGFT).
He will succeed Anup Wadhawan, who has been appointed as Additional Secretary in the Union Ministry of Commerce.
26. BCCI president Anurag Thakur has taken charge as the member of the ICC’s powerful Finance and Commercial Affairs committee.
Anurag Singh Thakur is a member of Lok Sabha from Hamirpur in Himachal Pradesh.
27. Valvoline Cummins India has signed up India’s Test Cricket Captain Virat Kohli as its ambassador.
28. Senior IFS officer Amandeep Singh Gill was appointed as India’s Ambassador to the UN Conference on Disarmament, Geneva.
He is an Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer of 1992 batch.
He had represented India on the UN Secretary General’s Panel on Missiles from 2007 to 2008.
29. Senior diplomat Navdeep Singh Suri was appointed Ambassador to the United Arab Emirates, a major supplier of oil to India and is home to around 2.6 million-strong Indians.
He is currently serving as Indian High Commissioner in Canberra.
30. Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal has been appointed as a member of the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) Athletes’ Commission.
31. S. P. Yadav has been elected as the new President of the North Zone of Urology Society of India.
32. Rajendra Shende has been elected as a senior expert to the United Nations Environment Programs Technology and Economic Assessment Panel of the Montreal Protocol.
It is the most successful global treaty aimed at protecting the ozone layer.
33. Visa’s CEO Charles Scharf had resigned from his post on October 18, 2016.
He orchestrated the company’s reunion with its European affiliate.
34. He will be succeeded by former American Express Co (AXP.N) President Alfred Kelly.
35. Miss International India 2016, Rewati Chetri has been officially appointed as `Visit Japan Ambassador’ by the Commissioner of Japan Tourism Agency, Ministry of Tourism, Land & Infrastructure and Transport of the Japanese Government.
36. Tata Sons Board has appointed Ratan Tata as the interim chairman of the group.
Ratan Tata replaced Cyrus Mistry after his resignation.
37. The International Hockey Federation has appointed New Zealand’s Jason McCracken as its Chief Executive Officer.
38. Flipkart chief financial officer Sanjay Baweja has quit the company, just under two years of joining India’s largest e-commerce marketplace.
He had joined Flipkart in November 2014 from Tata Communications where he was serving as the Global CFO.
39. IPS officer Karnal Singh has been appointed as the Director of Enforcement Directorate (ED).
40. Global System Mobile Association has appointed Sunil Bharti Mittal as a chairman for 2 years.
41. Indian Stroke Association has appointed former Cricketer Sunil Gavaskar as a ‘Stroke Ambassador of India’.
The Indian Stroke Association which is hosting the World Stroke Congress (WSC) along with World Stroke Organization (WSO) made this announcement.
42. Dr. Ajay M. Gondane appointed as High Commissioner of India to Australia.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. Google will set up its first India data centre in Mumbai by 2017.
The aim is to take on global incumbents such as Microsoft and Amazon, who have a presence in the country, and allow local customers to host their applications on the internet.
2. Kotak Mahindra Bank, the country’s fourth largest private sector lender, has acquired BSS Microfinance in an all-cash deal for Rs 139.2 crore.
The bank said with this, it has entered the microfinance space that has been growing at a rapid pace.
3. Black money worth Rs. 65,250 crore declared under Income Disclosure Scheme, 2016.
The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has received total disclosure of INR 65,250 crore black money in the form of cash and other assets under the Income Disclosure Scheme, 2016.
4. State Bank of India opens branch in Yangon after 53 years.
With the opening of this branch, SBI has extended (its) global presence to 37 countries through 198 offices.
5. Reserve Bank of India announced its 4th Bi-monthly Policy Statement.
RBI cut the short-term lending rate, or repo rate, by 25 basis points to 6.25 per cent from 6.50 per cent earlier.
6. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) raised projections for India’s economic growth by 0.2 percentage points to 7.6 per cent for 2016-17 and 2017-18.
7. RBI Internal Working Group (IWG) has proposed easing bank branch norms on Rationalisation of Branch Authorisation Policy.
It was chaired by Lily Vadera.
It has proposed to relax norms that a bank branch has to follow, like a building, number of employees etc. to facilitate financial inclusion.
8. Indian pharmaceutical companies have ranked low at 19th position with an overall score of 59 out of 100 among in the Biopharmaceutical Competitiveness & Investment (BCI) Survey.
The survey of 28 countries was commissioned by the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America and executed by the Pugatch Consilium.
It was third edition of survey.
9. The Union Government has decided to invest 15,000 crore rupees to increase the capacity of Panipat refinery in Haryana to 25 Million Tonnes from existing 15 Million Tonnes.
The expansion of Panipat refinery will help raise specifications of fuel quality from BS-IV to BS-VI to meet future demand.
10. ICICI Bank has become 1st Indian Leader to complete banking transaction using block chain technology.
The bank has successfully executed transactions in international trade finance and remittances using blockchain technology in partnership with Emirates NBD.
11. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved the mechanism for revision of ethanol price for supply to Public Sector Oil Marketing Companies (OMCs).
12. According to the data released by the RBI, India’ banking system reported total deposits of INR 100 lakh crore for the first time ever in September month of this year.
In the fortnight ended September 16, M3 stood at Rs 121.9 lakh crore, having grown by 10.9% over the same quarter last year.
13. Infosys has lost fifth spot to Oil and Natural Gas Corp. Ltd (ONGC).
ONGC beat India’s second largest software exporter Infosys Ltd to become the fifth most valuable company in India by market capitalization.
14. Essar Group sealed a $13-billion (Rs 86,100 crore) deal to sell 98% stake in its flagship 20 million tonnes per annum refinery to a consortium led by Russia’s state-owned energy giant Rosneft.
The first outlines the sale of 49% to Petrol Complex, a unit of Rosneft.
15. RBI has asked Banks to swap debit cards which have security issues.
There are 17.5 lakh debit cards which need to be swapped with better security.
16. SBI has declared Silchar as its 5th zone in North East to facilitate banking issues for the customers of the region.
The 5th zone will further help to cater the banking needs of the people of Mizoram, Tripura and Manipur along with the Barak Valley of North east India.
17. HSBC is planning to wind up participatory notes (P-notes) operations in India, as tightening of regulatory framework has made the business unviable.
18. NABARD has sanctioned loan worth INR 19,702 crore to National Water Development Agency (NWDA).
The loan will be provided through NABARD’s Long Term Irrigation Fund (LTIF) for 50 irrigation projects from 11 States.
19. Aditya Birla Group has invested INR 20000 crore for the enhancement of Madhya Pradesh in field of Retail, telecom and cement.
20. The World Bank has pledged 2 billion US dollars aid package to Bangladesh to tackle climate change over the next three years.
The aid package is part of the World Bank’s fund for the poorest countries.
21. The Union Telecom Ministry has formed a committee to look into the regulator TRAI’s recommendation of a Rs. 3,050 crore penalty on top three telcos — Airtel, Vodafone and Idea.
The committee has been asked to give a report on the recommendations soon, likely to be before 15 November 2016.
22. Metals and Minerals Trading Corporation of India (MMTC) ties up with seven banks to retail gold coin.
Seven banks include HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank and Andhra Bank.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. The Election Commission of India has amended the Conduct of Election Rules, 1961 to facilitate the e-transfer of postal ballot.
The new rules empower a returning officer in any constituency to send postal ballots to an eligible voter by electronic means.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. Election Commission of India collaborates with Facebook to register young voters.
The agreement is to run a voter registration drive aimed at encouraging youth to participate in the democratic exercise.
2. India has ratified the Paris Agreement on climate change on the 147th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
3. The Union Cabinet under the Chairmanship of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval for the signing of MoU between India and European Union in the field of water resources.
4. Oil India Limited has signed MoU with University of Houston.
It is focused to collaborate in the fields of Improved Oil Recovery & Enhanced Oil Recovery for production enhancement from matured fields.
5. India and Singapore have signed three agreements (MoUs) in the fields of skill development and IPR to boost bilateral relations between them.
The MoUs are as follows:
MoU in the field of Industrial Property Cooperation.
MoU on collaboration in the field of Technical and Vocational Education and Training=> Signed between the Assam government and ITEES Singapore.
MoU on collaboration in the field of Technical and Vocational Education and Training=> Signed between Singapore’s Institute of Technical Education Services (ITEES) and India’s National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC).
6. The International Energy Agency (IAE) is going to partner with India to implement its Unnat Jyoti by Affordable LEDs for All (UJALA) initiative globally for energy savings.
The UJALA scheme is implemented by the Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), a joint venture of PSUs under the Union Ministry of Power.
7. Three agreements are signed between India and Switzerland.
Mutual Visa Exemption Agreement for Holders of Diplomatic Passports.
Technical Arrangements on Identification and Return of Illegal Migrants and Arrangement for Dependent Person of Diplomatic, Consular.
Technical and Administrative Staff of Diplomatic and Consular Mission to Perform Gainful Employment
8. Doordarshan and Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) have entered into an agreement for transmission of four Gyan Darshan educational channels.
Gyan Darshan ran successfully till June 2, 2014, but was shut down by ISRO to facilitate its migration from INSAT 3C to GSAT-10.
9. The Union Government has signed $650 million loan agreement with the World Bank.
It is for construction of the Eastern Dedicated Freight Corridor (EDFC)-III project.
10. India and Brazil signed four MoUs. The MOUs are signed in the following field:
Investment cooperation and facilitation treaty.
Cattle genomics and assisted reproductive technologies.
Genetic resources, agriculture, animal husbandry, natural resources and fisheries.
Pharmaceutical products regulation
11. The Union Cabinet has given its approval for signing of a MoU between India and Hungary on cooperation in the field of water management.
12. India and Myanmar have signed 3 MoU on:
Designing an academic and professional building program for insurance industry of Myanmar.
Cooperation in the field of Power Sector.
Banking Supervision between RBI and Central Bank of Myanmar.
13. Russia and India have signed an agreement.
This agreement is to lease out a second Russian Akula-2 class nuclear-powered submarine to the Indian Navy at a cost of Two billion dollars.
14. Railways and Urban Development has signed MoU.
Under this MoU, the railway stations will be reconstructed on the smart city lines.
15. Andhra Pradesh government has signed an agreement with the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS).
The agreement aims to promote innovation in financial services in their respective markets.
16. India and New Zealand have signed three agreements.
These agreements include:
Double Taxation avoidance
Science & Technology:
1. India’s latest communication satellite GSAT-18 was successfully launched.
It was launched from the spaceport of Kourou in French Guiana.
GSAT-18 is built by ISRO with an aim to provide telecommunications services for the country by strengthening ISRO’s current fleet of 14 operational telecommunication satellites.
2. The Delhi Police has launched a mobile application “Delhi Police Senior Citizen”.
This app will help senior citizens to provide immediate assistance to them in distress.
3. NASA has developed a new high-tech electroactive bandage to heal wounds faster.
It uses electricity to significantly promote healing of injured wounds.
4. NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope (HST) has detected Great Balls of Fire (GBF), a mysterious super-hot blobs of gas seen near a dying star.
5. IISER, Kolkata students used human hair to produce cheaper use of cathode in solar cells.
This is the first instance where a bio-waste-derived electrode has been used as cathode in a quantum dot sensitized solar cell device.
6. Indian Navy has commissioned INS Tihayu, a Car Nicobar Class water jet fast attack craft (WJFAC).
INS Tahiyu is the sixth WJFAC Car Nicobar Class vessel to be commissioned and allotted to the Eastern Fleet of the Indian Navy.
7. The Indian Coast Guard Ships (ICGSs) ‘Aryaman’ and ‘Atulya’ brought into action Indian Coast Guard in Kochi, Kerala.
These two are Twenty Fast Patrol Vessels (FPVs) designed and built by Cochin Shipyard Limited.
8. China has successfully launched longest-ever manned mission by taking two astronauts Jing Haipeng and Chen Dong into the orbit.
They were launched on board of Shenzhou-11 (heavenly vessel) spacecraft from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre near the Gobi Desert in northwest China.
9. India has completed its nuclear triad by inducting the first indigenously built strategic nuclear submarine INS Arihant into service.
Now, India becomes fourth country to have a nuclear triad i.e. capable of delivering nuclear weapons by aircraft, ballistic missiles and submarine launched missiles.
10. The Indian Immunological Limited (IIL) has launched first ever vaccination CYSVAX named as Taenia Solium that will fight against Tapeworms in pigs
11. Conglomerate Hinduja Group’s flagship company Ashok Leyland has unveiled country’s first 100 per cent indigenously made electric bus which are non-polluting and have zero-emissions.
12. These buses were unveiled in lines with which aims at a 20% penetration of electric/hybrid (eco-friendly) vehicles by National Electric Mobility Plan
13. Microsoft has launched its first cybersecurity engagement center in India in the heart of Delhi.
It will help the government and the private sector organizations to deal with cyber-attacks.
14. ISRO has started a series of ground and aerial tests linked to the critical Moon landing of Chandrayaan-2.
15. According to the World Meteorological Organization’s (WMO) annual Greenhouse Gas Bulletin level of carbon dioxide emissions in the atmosphere has reached a record high.
The globally averaged concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere reached to 400 parts per million (ppm) for the first time in 2015.
It is expected to surge again to new records in 2016 on the back of the very powerful El Niño event.
16. China’s experimental space lab Tiangong-2 orbiting the Earth with two astronauts on board has successfully launched a micro-satellite Banxing-2.
The two astronauts were launched into space onboard of the Shenzhou-11 spacecraft carried two astronauts on 11 October 2016.
17. According to a study conducted by researchers from University of Idaho, US; Uranus may have two tiny, previously undiscovered moons orbiting near two of the planet’s rings.
These two moons were detected by researchers after analysing decades-old images of Uranus’ icy rings taken by NASA’s Voyager 2 spacecraft which had flown by the planet 30 years ago.
18. The Union Ministry of Science and Technology has launched two new schemes Biotech-KISAN and Cattle Genomics in order to apply science to boost rural economy.
Biotech-KISAN (Krishi Innovation Science Application Network) Scheme to connect farmers, scientist and science institution across country.
Cattle Genomics Scheme to boost selective breeding of the native livestock.
1. 2nd October 2016 was celebrated as the 8th International Day of Non-Violence.
The day has been declared by the General Assembly of the United Nations in 2007, in the memory of Mahatma Gandhi.
2. The World Teachers’ Day (WTD) 2016 observed across the world on 5th October.
Its aim is to mobilize support for teachers and to ensure that the needs of future generations will continue to be met by teachers
3. 8th October 2016 was observed as Air Force Day across India.
This is the 84th celebration of the Day that began in 1932.
The day was observed to increase the awareness about the importance of Indian Air Force in all the organizations.
4. The World Post Day is observed each year on 9th October to spread awareness about the postal services and their role in the everyday lives of people and businesses.
2016 Theme for celebration was “Innovation, Integration and Inclusion”.
5. The World Mental Health Day (WMHD) is observed every year on 10th October to raise awareness about mental health issues around the world and mobilizing efforts in support of mental health.
2016 theme for the celebration was “Psychological First Aid”.
6. The 2016 International Day of the Girl Child (IDGC) was observed on 11 October 2016 across the world.
The theme of this day is “Girls’ Progress = Goals’ Progress: What Counts for Girls”.
The theme focuses on investment in collecting and analyzing girl-focused, girl-relevant and sex-disaggregated data.
7. The International Day for Disaster Reduction (IDDR) is observed annually on 13th October across the world to encourage citizens and governments to take part in building more disaster resilient communities and nations.
2016 Theme for the celebration was “Live to Tell: Raising Awareness, Reducing Mortality”.
8. The World Standards Day was celebrated in most countries across the globe on 14th October to mark the development of voluntary engineering and scientific standards.
The theme for World Standards Day 2016 was “Standards Build Trust”.
9. The World Food Day is observed globally on 16 October to mark foundation of Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations in 1945.
It aims to raise public awareness about hunger challenges and encourage people around the world to take action in the fight against hunger.
2016 Theme was “Climate is changing”.
10. The International Day for the Eradication of Poverty is observed globally on 17 October for eradication of poverty throughout the world.
It seeks to promote awareness among people to eradicate poverty and destitution around the world particularly in developing countries.
2016 Theme was “Moving from humiliation and exclusion to participation: Ending poverty in all its forms”.
11. 24th October is celebrated as United Nations Day since 1948.
This year UN Day was celebrated to highlight concrete actions people can take to help achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
12. The first National Ayurveda Day was observed on 28th October on the occasion of Dhanwantari Jayanti.
The theme for this year is ‘Ayurveda for Prevention and Control of Diabetes’.
1. Noted contemporary artist Yusuf Arakkal passed away on 4 October 2016 in Bengaluru, Karnataka. He was 71.
Arakkal had recently released a book called Faces of Creativity, which is a comprehensive collection of portraits of fellow artists.
2. Manipur-based theatre legend Heisnam Kanhailal passed away at the age of 75.
He has contributed to the field of experimental theatre for more than 40 years.
He later founded the Kalakshetra, the theatre laboratory in Manipur.
3. Freedom fighter and Congress leader Ramesh Kulkarni passed away at the age of 89.
4. American boxer Aaron Pryor died on 09 October 2016 at the age of 60 after a long battle with heart disease.
Pryor built a 39-1 record with 35 knockouts during his career.
His biggest moments in the ring were his two junior welterweight victories over Arguello.
5. Thailand’s King Bhumibol Adulyadej, the world’s longest-reigning monarch, has died after 70 years as head of state.
Italian playwright and Nobel Literature Prize winner Dario Fo passes away.
He had won the Nobel Prize for literature in 1997.
6. Poland’s most famous film directors, Andrzej Wajda, has died on 12th October 2016 at the age of 90.
He was awarded an Oscar for lifetime achievement in 2000, became a filmmaker only after being rejected by the army in 1939.
7. Renowned writer and litterateur from Uttarakhand, Dayanand Anant, passed away at his residence in Bhowali near Nainital. He was 88.
He was one of the most prominent writers of Uttarakhand who penned two short story books, three novels, five TV dramas and many comics and satires.
8. Kigeli V. Ndahindurwa, the last king of Rwanda, passed away in the United States.
He ruled the east African nation for less than a year in 1959 before being forced into exile after clashing with the Belgian colonial power.
9. Former Qatari Emir Sheikh Khalifa bin Hamad Al Thani passed away. He was 84.
He was the emir of Qatar for 23 years oversaw its independence from Britain and the rapid modernization of its economy
10. Junko Tabei has passed away at the age of 77.
She was the first women to climb Mount Everest.
11. Former Brazilian soccer captain Carlos Alberto, who scored one of the greatest goals in World Cup history while captaining Brazil to glory in 1970 final against Italy, has died aged 72 following a heart attack.
The classy defender played for Fluminense, Santos, Flamengo and New York Cosmos and earned the nickname ‘The Captain’ for his leadership qualities.
12. Tom Hayden, a 1960s anti-war activist has died aged 76 in Santa Monica, California, after a long illness.
He was one of the era’s most prominent, counter-culture radicals who went on to serve in the California state assembly and senate.
13. Former Uruguayan president Jorge Batlle passed away after suffering a head injury from a fall on October 14 in the city of Tacuarembó.
14. The Nightingale of Kashmir Raj Begum dies. She was 89.
She was also known as the queen of Kashmiri folk music and ghazals.
She was honoured with a Padma Shri in 2002 and the Sangeet Natak Akademi award in 2013.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images