- Up to 50 people being held hostage at Lindt cafe, Sydney
- Police say at least one gunman involved
- Incident not being treated as terrorism yet
- Motivation of gunman unknown – but police have not yet had direct contact with him
- PM Tony Abbott urges calm: “The whole point of politically motivated violence is to scare people.”
HOSTAGES have been released from the Lindt Cafe in central Sydney where they have been held by a gunman since just before 10am AST this morning.
Seven News reported at least three people had been released from the Martin Place cafe.
It’s believed one staff member and two customers are now free.
Two came out of the front door and one from a fire door. All had their arms raised in the air.