Read current affairs online with GK Eduwrap. It covers the last week current affairs in a comprehensive manner ensuring you prepare confidently for the general awareness for bank exams.
National – Across the India
1. A ward in the Kerala’s Aymanam district became India’s first digitised panchayat ward.
Union minister of state Krishan Pal Gurjar inaugurated the website of the first digitalized Panchayat ward number 15 of Aymanam Grama Panchayat.
The minister launched the website HYPERLINK “http://www.digitalaymanam.com”www.digitalaymanam.com at the function.
2. 2nd May 2017 will be observed as Ganga Swachhta Sankalp Divas by National Mission on Clean Ganga (NMCG) at 12 locations.
The 12 locations are: Kanpur, Allahabad, Varanasi, Patna, Bhagalpur, Sahibganj, Kolkata, Raj Ghat (Hardoi), Bithoor, Srinagar (Uttarakhand), Vidhur Kuti (Bijnor) and Devprayag.
The objective of the event is to spread awareness and promote active involvement of the masses in Swachh Ganga.
3. Assam got its first Shatabdi Express with Minister of State for Railways Rajen Gohain flagging off the train from Dibrugarh.
The new Shatabdi Express train (No. 12085/12086) will run between Dibrugarh and Guwahati.
4. The Ministry of Civil Aviation under the proposed Digi Yatra Initiative is looking forward to make boarding pass and security check-ins digital at airports using Aadhaar and mobile phones.
Under this initiative, a digital mode for airport entry and verification of passengers would be used.
5. Indian Railways is set to make use of the Radio-Frequency Identification tags (RFID) for tracking of wagons, coaches and locomotives to ensure the effective and transparent functioning of the system.
For the first phase of implementation of this project, the Railways have sanctioned a sum of Rs 57 crore.
6. Maharashtra chief minister Devendra Fadnavis has inaugurated the state’s first automatic weather station at Dongargaon in Nagpur.
The state government proposes to install around 2,065 such weather stations across the state on a public private partnership (PPP) mode in this year and 1,000 in next year.
7. The Department of Telecommunications has launched a web portal called the Tarang Sanchar.
It will allow tracking of radiation emitted from mobile towers within their locality and check for their compliance with the Electromagnetic field (EMF) emission norms defined by the government.
8. Union Minister Bandaru Dattatreya, launched two schemes – ‘One IP- Two Dispensaries’ and ‘Aadhaar-based Online Claim Submission’ on the occasion of International Labour Day.
Under One IP-Two Dispensaries scheme, ESIC has given an option to an Insured Person (IP) to choose two dispensaries, one for self and another for family through an employer.
Under Aadhaar based Online Claim Submission scheme all EPF Members who have activated their UAN and seeded their KYC (Aadhaar) with EPFO will be able to apply for PF final settlement, Pension withdrawal benefit and PF part withdrawal from the their UAN Interface directly.
9. Defence Minister (Additional Charge) Arun Jaitley handed over a number of devices developed by the DRDO to NSG, Delhi Police and NDRF.
E-Nasika is a device which is capable of rapid detection of chemical agents well below their toxic limits.
OTL-300 is a device that can instantly detect partially camouflaged optical elements, such as telescopes, binoculars and night vision devices.
10. The Uttar Pradesh government headed by Yogi Adityanath decided to celebrate UP Diwas on January 24 every year.
It was on January 24 that the erstwhile United Provinces was given a new name as Uttar Pradesh.
11. India’s second tallest flag pole which is 303 feet high has been Inaugurated in in the Police training academy garden, Kolhapur.
The poll is 90 metres tall and 60 metres wide and weighs 24 tonne.
India’s tallest flag pole is at Indo-Pak Attari Border, which is 110 metres high.
12. Prime Minister Narendra Modi released a commemorative stamp on the 1,000th birth anniversary of Saint Ramanujacharya.
The central message of Saint Ramanujacharya’s life was inclusive of society, religion and philosophy.
13. HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar has launched Students for soldiers- a nationwide Vidya – Veerta Abhiyan.
It was launched to encourage Universities and educational institutions across the country to display portraits of Param Veer Chakra-decorated soldiers.
14. Uttar Pradesh Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya flagged off an ambulance service Gauvansh Chikitsa Mobile Vans that would cater to need of cows.
Under the service, the ambulance would rescue ill or injured cows and transport them to ‘gau shalas’ or take them for treatment to the veterinary doctor.
A “gau seva toll-free number” was also released so that common people can come to the help of such cows.
15. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurates Patanjali Research Institute in Haridwar, Uttarkhand.
The institute is established with an aim to globally establish the vedic knowlege of ayurveda of Ancient Indian Saints.
16. Sualgiri and Swalgiri communities of Odisha have been notified as Scheduled Castes after President Pranab Mukherjee gave his assent to the Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Order (Amendment) Act, 2017.
Similarly, the Constitution (Pondicherry) Scheduled Castes Order, 1964 has replaced the term Union Territory of Pondicherry to Puducherry.
17. The Director General of Military Operations of India -Pakistan held talks after the Pakistani special forces team snuck across the LoC and beheaded two Indian security personnel.
During the raid, bodies of Naib Subedar Paramjit Singh (22 Sikh Regiment) and head constable Prem Sagar (200 BSF Battalion) were left mutilated.
18. Madhya Pradesh has become the first state in the country to shift its financial year from the present April-March cycle to January-December.
The state’s budget session for the next financial year would be held in December-January.
19. Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar launched the ‘Haryana Vision Zero’ campaign in collaboration with NASSCOMM Foundation with an aim to reduce deaths due to road accidents.
An MoU was also signed between the Transport Department of Haryana and NASSCOM and World Resources Institute (WRI) to take the project to 10 districts of the state.
20. Union Urban Development Minister M. Venkaiah Naidu has announced the Cleanest Cities in the Country and the fastest moving cities on sanitation ladder under Swachh Sarvekshan-2017.
Indore has been adjudged as the cleanest city in India while Gonda in Uttar Pradesh has been ranked as the dirtiest city among surveyed.
In total, 434 cities and towns with a population of one lakh and above were surveyed.
21. The Union Cabinet has given its approval for National Steel Policy (NSP) 2017 to give impetus to the steel sector.
The NSP 2017 aims to achieve 300 million tonnes of steel-making capacity by 2030.
22. The Cabinet approved important proposals relating to modifications in the 7th CPC (Central Pay Commission) recommendations on pay and pensionary benefits in the course of their implementation.
The benefit of the proposed modifications will be calculated with the effect from 1st January 2016.
23. The first AC 3-tier Humsafar Express between Ahmedabad and Chennai was flagged off by Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu at a function held in Udvada town in Valsad district.
The Indian Railways have sought a major makeover for the AC 3-tier coach in a bid to make it more passenger-friendly.
24. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has given its approval for re-construction of SAMPADA (Scheme for Agro-Marine Processing and Development of Agro-Processing Clusters) for the period 2016-20.
The objective of SAMPADA is to supplement agriculture, modernize processing and decrease agri-waste.
25. The Union Cabinet has granted international airport status to the Vijayawada Airport.
The approval was given as per provisions of Andhra Pradesh Reorganization Act, 2014.
26. Rashtriya Swachhata Kendra will be set up by Swachh Bharat Mission at Gandhi Smriti and Darshan Samiti (GSDS), Rajghat during the centenary year of Champaran Satyagraha.
To create awareness on Swachhata, Ministry of Culture has developed e-guide (Audio-Visual) App for the tourists visiting National Museum.
27. Union Minister of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises has inaugurated a CSR Fair from 4th to 6th May, 2017 at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
The objective of the fair is to provide a leading platform to corporate leaders, to identify practical solutions for the problems concerning the participatory implementation of CSR projects at the ground level.
28. Nitin Gadkari inaugurated two exhibitions 3rd to 5th of May 2017 in New Delhi.
The two-exhibition named: The Highway Saga: Past Present and Future’ and ‘Safe Road and Inter-State Highways Transforming India (SRISHTI).
The Highway Saga is an exhibition depicting the evolution of road transport in India.
29. The Minister of Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari inaugurated India Integrated Transport and Logistics Summit (IITLS) organized by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways in New Delhi.
The objective of the summit is to facilitate constructive dialogue between various stakeholders for the development of multimodal infrastructure in the country.
30. The government declared draft rules for a ‘no-fly list’ for banning unruly passengers. The government has come up with three levels of disruptions for flyers.
Level 1 is disruptive behavior like physical gestures, abusive language which can lead to suspension for 3 months.
Level 2 is physically abusive behavior like pushing, kicking, sexual harassment which can lead to suspension for 6 months.
Level 3 is life-threatening behavior and the suspension is 2 years or more.
31. The Government’s Electronic Vaccine Intelligence Network (eVIN) project becomes global best practice in Immunization.
It is an indigenously developed technology system in India that digitizes vaccine stocks and monitors the temperature of the cold chain through a smartphone application.
The innovative eVIN is presently being implemented across twelve states in India.
32. Assam government has changed the names of all the major roads of the Guwahati city of Assam. Here are the name of the roads.
|Old Names||New Names|
|GS Road Mahapurush||Srimanta Sankerdev Path|
|AT Road Mahapurush||Damodardev Path|
|VIP Road Mahapurush||Madhabdev Path|
|Hengerabari-Chachal Road||Khagen Mahanta Road|
|Beltola-Khanapara Road||Peer Azan Fakir Road|
33. The Army, security forces and police had launched a massive cordon and combing operation in south Kashmir’s Shopian district following the militant attacks on policemen and banking facilities.
This is the first time in 15 years that the combing operation of this magnitude has been conducted by the security forces.
The major objective behind the combing operation is to bring the situation in the Kashmir Valley under control.
34. The world level weapon production unit Punj Lyod Defence System has been inaugurated in Malanpur Industrial Area of Bhind district, Madhya Pradesh.
The plant will manufacture four products, namely, X95 carbine and assault rifle, Galil sniper rifle, Tavor assault rifle and Negev Light Machine Gun (LMG).
It has been set up in the joint partnership of Punj Lyod Raksha Systems and Israel Weapon Industry under the Make in India Programme.
35. The government has declared the entire Assam as a disturbed area under the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act for another 3 months.
In addition, the government has placed three districts of Arunachal Pradesh, namely, Tirap, Changlang and Longding and other areas falling under 16 police stations bordering Assam as “disturbed” area under the AFSPA.
36. The Haryana government has decided to open canteens offering meals at affordable rates.
Under the Antyodaya Anna Yojana scheme the workers at 23 locations in the state can avail their food.
37. Union Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan stated that more than 2 crore LPG gas connections are given under Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana(PMUY) in the last one year.
4600 new distributors were added in the last 3 years primarily in the rural areas.
38. The Supreme Court confirmed the death penalty for the four convicts- Akshay, Pawan, Vinay Sharma and Mukesh of the 2012 gang rape and murder of Nirbhaya.
A bench headed by Justice Dipak Misra and Justices R Banumathi and Ashok Bhushan confirmed the decision.
39. Facebook in partnership with Bharti Airtel launched its Express Wi-Fi commercially in India to help more people get online.
The service is now available via 700 hotspots across four states of Uttarakhand, Gujarat, Rajasthan and Meghalaya.
International – Across the Globe
1. Google has announced the new Solve for India initiative, especially for tier-2 cities such as Pune, Jaipur, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Kochi, Indore, Nagpur, Nashik, Madurai, Kanpur, and Chennai.
This program will aim to support entrepreneurs and developers of the country.
2. India will give Rs. 35 crore rupees to children of freedom fighters in Bangladesh under the new Muktijodha scholarship scheme in the next five years.
Under the scheme, students at the higher secondary level will get a one-time grant of Tk 20,000 (Rs 15,370).
Students at the undergraduate level will get a grant of Tk 50,000 (Rs 38,430).
The Currency of Bangladesh is Bangladeshi Taka (Tk).
3. Dubai has become the first city in the world to have its own Microsoft-designed font. The font will have typeface both in Latin and Arabic script.
It will be made available in 23 languages namely Afrikaans, Arabic, Basque, Britannic, Catalan, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, Gaelic, German, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Norwegian, Farsi, Portuguese, Sami, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish and Urdu.
The font will be used by UAE’s government bodies and also by 100 million Office 365 users around the world.
4. According to the United Nations report, economic growth for India is projected to be stable at 7.1% in 2017 before edging up to 7.5% in 2018.
Inflation is projected to reach 5.3 – 5.5% in 2017 and 2018.
The report titled: The Economic and Social Survey of Asia and the Pacific 2017 was launched by United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP).
5. Indian actress Priyanka Chopra will be attending a UNICEF gala event in South Africa on 6th May 2017 to highlight the challenges faced by children affected by violence.
The event would also bring together some of the world’s biggest names in order to leverage their support to enhance the care and protection of children subjected to abuse, violence, neglect and exploitation.
6. China plans to launch its own online encyclopedia next year rivalling Wikipedia and Britain’s Encyclopedia Britannica.
The main objective of this project is to guide public thought.
7. World’s highest railway bridge which will be 35 metres taller than the Eiffel Tower is to come up over the Chenab River in Jammu and Kashmir at a cost of around Rs. 1,100 crore.
The bridge will connect Bakkal (Katra) and Kauri (Srinagar). The bridge will be a part of the Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla rail link project.
After completion of the bridge, it will surpass the record of the Beipan river Shuibai railway bridge (275 m) in China.
8. Apple has reported over $256 billion in cash and marketable securities.
In the previous year, Apple’s earnings report for the January-March quarter was $233 billion.
9. Turkey, Iran and Russia signed an agreement to set up of four “de-confliction zones” in Syria.
The major objective is to stop the violence and facilitate conditions for the safe, voluntary return of refugees as well as to provide rapid and uninterrupted delivery of relief supplies and medical aid.
Sports & Athletics
1. Finland’s Valtteri Bottas celebrated the first Formula One victory of his career at the Russian Grand Prix.
Sebastian Vettel, Kimi Raikkonen and Lewis Hamilton were at second, third and fourth position respectively.
2. Rafael Nadal has won Barcelona Open title beating Austria’s Dominic Thiem by 6-4, 6-1.
This was Nadal’s 10th Barcelona Open title.
Nadal won in Barcelona between 2005-2009, 2011-13 and now in the last two years.
3. Joshna Chinappa becomes the first Indian to clinch the Asian Squash title by beating Dipika Pallikal Karthik in the women’s final in Chennai.
Max Lee won in the men’s category beating Saurav Ghosal.
4. Aizawl FC has won its maiden I-League title against Shillong Lajong and becomes the first ever club from the northeast to win the I-League title.
This was the 10th edition of the I-League held at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Shillong.
Aizawl ended the league with 37 points.
5. Indian golfer Shiv Kapur lifted his first Asian Tour title in 12 years, winning USD 300,000 Yeangder Heritage Championships with eight-under 64 in the final round.
Gavin Green (67) and Yikeun Chang (68) were tied for second at 14-under at the National Golf Country Club.
6. Leander Paes and Scott Lipsky defeated Argentine Leonardo Mayer and Maximo Gonzalez to win the Tallahassee Challenger title of the Men’s Double.
This title win is Paes’ 2nd Challenger level title of the season.
The 2017 Tallahassee Tennis Challenger was played on green clay courts between 24 and 29 April 2017.
7. India lost 1 – 3 against defending champions Australia in a preliminary league match of the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup Hockey Tournament.
Australia is 9th time winners of the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup.
8. In the recently updated ICC T20 International team rankings, India has been placed at the 4th position with 118 points behind second placed England and third placed Pakistan.
New-Zealand has topped the table with 125 points.
South Africa (5th), Australia (6th), West Indies (7th), Sri Lanka (8th), Afghanistan (9th) and Bangladesh (10th).
9. The legendary Oinam Bembem Devi, Jeje Lalpekhlua and Gurpreet Sandhu have been nominated for the Arjuna Awards.
They are recommended by the All India Football Federation (AIFF).
10. Jharkhand Governor Droupadi Murmu inaugurated the Oorja CAPFs under-19 football talent hunt tournament 2017 at the Mega Sports Complex.
Its aim is to select talented players and give them opportunity at the national and international level.
Tete is the brand ambassador of the tournament.
11. As per the updated FIFA world football rankings, the Indian national football has managed to secure a 100th spot in FIFA rankings.
This is the first time in 21 years that India has been ranked into top 100.
India has been placed 100th alongside Nicaragua, Lithuania and Estonia with a total of 331 points.
12. Union Minister Vijay Goel, announced a wide spectrum of fields including sports that would fetch the National Youth Award.
Instead of the States nominating the persons or organization for the National Youth Awards, it would be an online process henceforth.
The award would be given to ten organizations every year for their services.
13. The Boxing Federation of India (BFI) recommended the women’s trio of World Championship silver – medalists for 2017 Arjuna Awards.
The trio includes Saweety Boora(81kg), Sonia Lather(57kg) and Sarjubala Devi (51kg)
14. International Cricket Council (ICC) has raised the prize money by $2 million to popularize women’s cricket for the upcoming 2017 World cup in England.
This is ten times the amount that was awarded in the last edition in 2013.
The ICC announced that Decision Review system (DRS) will be put in place for the first time in women’s cricket during the eight-team tournament in June.
15. India’s badminton players PV Sindhu and Saina Nehwal, received prize money and cash dues for winning international events from Badminton Association of India (BAI).
Saina and Sindhu got Rs.25 lakh and Rs.20 lakh respectively.
A total of Rs 1.07 crore was distributed which included Rs.30 lakh due for winning the Common Wealth Games (CWG) gold and the 2015 India Grand Prix Gold title issued to the players.
Awards & Recognition
1. Former Union Minister Ashwani Kumar has been named for Japan’s prestigious Order of the Rising Sun Award during a ceremony to be held at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo on 9th May.
He will be awarded for his contribution to fostering Japan-India ties.
Kumar will be conferred with the Grand Cordon of the Order of the Rising Sun, the highest category of decorations among the Orders of the Rising Sun.
2. Sanjay Pratihar has been selected for the prestigious Indian National Science Academy (INSA) medal for the Young Scientist Award, 2017.
He was awarded for his contribution to multi-metal complexes, theoretical understanding, selective sensing of Hq2+ions and important applications in agriculture.
3. The 44th Daytime Emmy Awards was announced at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium, in Pasadena, Los Angeles. Here is the list of winners.
|Outstanding Drama Series||General Hospital|
|Outstanding Game Show||Jeopardy|
|Outstanding Talk Show/Informative||The Dr. Oz Show|
|Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series||Gina Tognoni as Phyllis Summers on The Young and the Restless|
|Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series||Scott Clifton as Liam Spencer on The Bold and the Beautiful|
|Outstanding Younger Actress in a Drama Series||Lexi Ainsworth as Kristina Davis on General Hospital|
|Outstanding Younger Actor in a Drama Series||Bryan Craig as Morgan Corinthos on General Hospital|
|Outstanding Game Show Host||Steve Harvey – Family Feud|
|Lifetime Achievement Award||Mary Hart, former long-running host of Entertainment Tonight|
4. The US-India Business Council (USIBC) has selected Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister, Chandrababu Naidu for the Transformative Chief Minister Award.
He will be awarded for his role in advancing the US-India partnership at the state level.
The award will be presented to him at the USIBC West Coast Summit in the Silicon Valley on 8th May.
5. The Hollywood film The Black Prince starring Indian Actress Shabana Azmi and Satinder Sartaaj was awarded special Jury Remi Award at 50th Annual World Fest Houston International film Festival.
The black prince is a historic film of the last king of Punjab – Maharajah Duleep Singh and his relationship with Queen Victoria.
6. Padma Venkataraman, a social worker and daughter for former Indian President, the late R Venkataraman was honoured with the Avvaiyar award 2017.
She was awarded for her efforts in the field of women’s welfare and the rehabilitation of leprosy-affected people since the past 30 years by Tamil Nadu government.
The prize carried a cheque of Rs 1 lakh, a gold medal weighing 8 gm and a certificate.
7. Child actor Sunny Pawar, best known for his performance in the Oscar-nominated film Lion, has been chosen for the Rising Star Award in UK.
The award will be presented to Sunny at the 7th Annual Asian Awards.
8. Chairman of Nicco group Rajive Kaul was conferred with the Order of Diplomatic Service Merit Sungnye Medal of the Republic of Korea for his services rendered as honorary consul general of South Korea in Kolkata.
The award was conferred by the acting President and Prime Minister of South Korea Hwang Kyo-ahn at a programme in New Delhi.
9. President Pranab Mukherjee presented away the 64th National Film Awards on 104th anniversary of Indian Cinema, held in New Delhi. Here is the list of Awards winners.
|Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment||Sathamanam Bhavathi|
|Best Actor||Akhay Kumar (Rustom)|
|Best Actress||Surabhi Lakshmi (Minnaminungu)|
|Best Supporting Actress||Zaira Wasim (Dangal)|
|Best Male Playback Singer||Sundara Iyer (Joker)|
|Best Female Playback||Singer – Thume jaake|
|Best Music Direction||Babu Padmanabha (Kannada Lama)|
|Special Mention||Kadvi Hawa Mukthi bhava (Hindi)|
|Special Jury award||Mohanlal for Pulimurugan, Janatha Garage and Munthirivallikal Thalirkkumbol|
10. Film Director and actor Kasinathuni Viswanath received Dadasaheb Phalke Award at the 64th National Film Awards ceremony.
He became the 48th recipient of the award, the highest recognition in Indian cinema, which includes a golden lotus, a cash prize of Rs 10 lakhs.
11. Kashmir based freelance photographer Saqib Majeed has bagged prestigious 2016 Wisden-MCC (Melbourne Cricket Council) Cricket ‘Photograph of the Year’ Award.
He was awarded for capturing a stunning image of boys playing cricket at the Nishat garden in the outskirts of Srinagar.
With this has become the first Kashmiri and second Asian after Atul Kamble to receive the prestigious award.
Books & Authors
1. M. Venkaiah Naidu released a set of books titled Swachh Jungle ki kahani – Dadi ki Zubani published by Publications Division.
The books aimed at sensitizing and creating awareness amongst children would provide a fillip to the Prime Minister’s Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
The series of books had been published in 15 Indian languages and would help develop a habit of cleanliness among school going children.
Mergers & Acquisitions
1. Online classifieds firm Quikr India Pvt. Ltd has acquired Mumbai-based Rejuvenate Solutions Pvt. Ltd, which runs online home services marketplace Zimmber, for an undisclosed amount.
The acquisition will help scale up Quikr’s hyper-local household services business.
Appointments & Resignations
1. Shobana Kamineni, executive vice-chairperson of Apollo Hospitals Enterprises Ltd (AHEL), was appointed as the President of Confederation of Indian Industry.
She takes over from Dr. Naushad Forbes, co-chairman, Forbes Marshall Limited.
Uday Kotak, executive vice chairman and managing director, Kotak Mahindra Bank Limited is the new Vice President of CII.
2. Nepal’s first female Supreme Court chief justice Sushila Karki was suspended after an impeachment motion was filed in parliament.
She was accused of interfering with executive powers and issuing biased decisions.
3. Anthony Lianzuala was appointed as the Controller General of Accounts (CGA) in New Delhi.
He is the first person from the North-Eastern Region to hold the position.
4. The chairman of the National Statistical Commission, Dr. R. B. Barman was appointed as chairperson of the Technical Committee of IBBI.
The committee which consists of 4 members has been constituted in accordance with Regulation 14 of the IBBI (Information Utilities) Regulations, 2017.
5. Congress leader Mallikarjun Kharge is appointed the new chairman of the 21-member Public Accounts Committee of Parliament.
Kharge replaces congress leader K V Thomas whose term ended on 30th April 2017.
6. Bharti Enterprises has appointed Soumen Ghosh as managing director, financial services.
Before joining Bharti, Ghosh was heading the financial services business at Reliance Capital as Executive Director & Group CEO.
7. Prabhat Kamal Bezboruah and M S Boje Gowda were appointed chairmen of the Tea Board and the Coffee Board, respectively.
Bezboruah is a leading tea association industrialist and Gowda is a renowned coffee grower.
8. The government has appointed new managing directors and chief executive officers of seven public sector banks. The new appointments are:
R Subramaniakumar: MD and CEO of the Indian Overseas Bank (IOB).
Rajkiran Rai G: MD and CEO of the Union Bank of India.
Sunil Mehta: MD and CEO in the Punjab National Bank.
Usha Ananthasubramanian: MD and CEO Allahabad Bank.
Dinabandhu Mohapatra: MD and CEO of the Bank of India.
M O Rego: MD and CEO of Syndicate Bank.
R A Sankara Narayanan: MD and CEO of Vijaya Bank.
9. Ashoka University named Pratap Bhanu Mehta as its Vice Chancellor (VC). after conducting an extensive global search.
Mehta will take charge from 1st July 2017 at the Sonepat, Haryana-based university.
Economics & Banking GK
1. The Real Estate Act which aims to protect the interests of homebuyers by ensuring transparency has come into effect.
The act has been notified by 13 states and Union Territories including Andhra Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Gujarat, Delhi, Daman and Diu.
2. NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant confirmed that the RBI and other commercial banks spend Rs 21,000 crore every year on currency management operations.
The major objective of the NITI Aayog is to increase the adoption and use of digital payments in India so that cash usage drops to 5-6 per cent of GDP.
3. Fitch Ratings has affirmed India’s sovereign rating at BBB-, which is the lowest investment grade rating.
According to the rating agency, India’s general government debt burden was 67.9% of GDP whereas the ‘BBB’ median is 40.9%.
Also, Fitch has estimated a wide fiscal balance of -6.6% of GDP for FY17.
4. Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) in collaboration with UNDO set up a management facility for the disposal of Hazardous Waste (Polychlorinated Biphenyl) by using Plasma Technology.
The project would come up in SAIL’s flagship Bhilai Steel Plant.
5. Uber Technologies Inc. has started its food delivery service UberEATS in Mumbai.
The company has appointed Bhavik Rathod, earlier the general manager for south and west for Uber’s ride-hailing business, as the head of the food delivery vertical.
6. The Union Cabinet approved a new framework for dealing with Rs 6 lakh crore worth of non-performing assets (NPAs) in the banking system.
The framework seeks to amend the Banking Regulation Act to give more powers to Reserve Bank of India.
7. Reliance Corporate IT Park (RCITPL) has signed an agreement with SAP SE to launch SARAL GST solution for taxpayers.
The new offering will enable taxpayers to be GST compliant and smoothly access the government’s GST System, once GST is rolled out from 1st July 2017.
8. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has tightened the rules around making the Joint Lenders’ Forum (JLF) more effective.
RBI also directs banks not to break any rules and to meet all deadlines.
The RBI has said that any breach of rules would attract a monetary penalty.
9. The Reserve Bank of India decided to authorize the promulgation of the Banking Regulation (Amendment) Ordinance, 2017.
The promulgation includes inserting two new Sections (viz. 35AA and 35AB) after Section 35A of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949.
10. US-based think tank Global Financial Integrity (GFI) report has estimated that $770 billion worth of black money entered India during 2005-2014.
The report titled Illicit Financial Flows to and from Developing Countries: 2005-2014 also states that in 2014 alone, $101 billion black money entered India while USD 23 billion exited.
Bills – New & Amendments
1. Finance Minister Mr. Arun Jaitley introduced NABARD (Amendment) Bill 2017 in Lok Sabha.
The Bill seeks to amend certain clauses in the light of reference of the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Development Act, 2006 and the Companies Act, 2013 in the proposed legislation.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)
1. India and Turkey have signed three agreements in the fields of ICT, training and culture. Three agreements are:
An agreement for a cultural exchange programme for the years 2017-2020 was signed.
A MoU was signed between the Foreign Services Institute (FSI) of India and the Diplomacy Academy of Turkey.
A MoU was signed for cooperation in the area of information and communication technologies (ICT).
2. The Union Cabinet gave ex-post facto approval to the signing of the Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) with Japan on Railway Safety.
The MoC would provide a platform for Indian Railways to interact and share the latest development and knowledge in the railway sector.
The Key facts of MoC are: Track safety, latest technology related to railway track safety, rolling stock safety.
3. Thirty-Four MoUs amounting about Rs 2 lakh crores were signed in the India Integrated Transport and Logistics Summit in New Delhi. The sessions focused on six major themes.
Multi Modal Logistics Parks.
New developments in Urban Transportation.
Freight Corridors for Economic Development.
Supply Chain Transformation- Storage Innovations.
GST and Role of Digitization for Decongestion.
Standards and Skills for Logistics.
Science & Technology
1. Space X has successfully landed its Falcon 9 rocket on solid ground, after launching the vehicle from Cape Canaveral, Florida.
It’s the fourth-time Space X has landed one of its rocket on land, and the 11th time the company has successfully recovered a rocket post – launch.
2. Scientists at IIT Roorkee have used Indian summer fruit, Jamun, to create low cost and more efficient solar cells.
To create the solar cells, the researchers made use of naturally occurring pigment present in jamun as an inexpensive photosensitizer for Dye Sensitized Solar Cells (DSSCs) or Gratzel cells.
3. Indian Army has successfully test-fired advanced Block-III version of Brahmos cruise missile in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
The test firing demonstrated the weapon’s unmatched lethality of hitting the centre of a designated target with “bull’s eye” precision.
4. The United States (US) Military’s missile defence system THAAD Missile became operational in South Korea.
THAAD missile defence system is designed to intercept and destroy ballistic missiles.
It has a range of 200 km and can reach an altitude of 150 km.
5. India has successfully carried out a fresh user trial of Agni-II ballistic missile from a defence test facility in the Abdul Kalam Island off the coast of Odisha.
The objective of the test was to re-establish the operational effectiveness of the weapon system.
6. China has beaten the world at building the first ever quantum computing machine that is 24,000 times faster than its international counterparts.
Quantum computers could, in principle, solve certain problems faster than classical computers.
7. The Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV-F09) carrying the GSAT-9 or the South Asia satellite has launched by ISRO.
The rocket blasted off from the second launch pad at the Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota.
The satellite, costing around Rs 235 crore, is meant for providing communication and disaster support, connectivity among the countries of South Asia region. Its mission life will span 12 years.
8. Chinese scientists have invented a new test, which could help diagnose multiple kinds of cancer by examining just one drop of human blood.
The test kit of Hsp90a protein has been developed by the researchers at Tsinghua University’s School of Life Sciences for clinical use.
9. NASA Scientists have designed an inflatable greenhouse that could be used one day by astronauts to grow fresh food and produce oxygen on Mars or Moon.
The new approach uses plants to scrub carbon dioxide while providing food and oxygen for those working in deep space.
10. The world’s biggest X-ray laser has generated its first beam of light, that will allow scientists to get a glimpse of new materials, drugs and chemical reactions at the atomic level.
The 3.4-kilometre-long European XFEL is located in underground tunnels in Germany.
1. International Workers’ Day also known as Labour Day celebrates the spirit of labourers. It is observed globally on 1st May every year.
It is the day to pay tribute to the labourers.
In India, the first Labour Day, or May Day, was celebrated in 1923 in Chennai.
2. World Asthma Day was observed on 2nd May 2017 every year.
The day is mostly observed on the first Tuesday in the month of May.
The day is observed to improve Asthma awareness and care around the world.
3. The United Nations has marked the first World Tuna Day on 2nd May with calls to conserve one of the globe’s most popular fish to be caught and eaten.
It is a saltwater fish that belongs to the tribe Thunnini, a sub-grouping of the mackerel family (Scombridae).
4. World Press Freedom Day is observed globally on 3rd May every year.
The day is observed to pay tribute to those journalists who lost their lives while working on stories they’re passionate about.
The 2017 theme is Critical Minds for Critical Times: Media’s role in advancing peaceful, just and inclusive societies.
5. International Firefighters’ Day (IFFD) is observed on 4th May every year.
It was instituted after proposal emailed out across the world on January 4, 1999 due to the deaths of five firefighters in tragic circumstances in a bushfire in Australia.
4th May used to be a traditional Firefighters’ Day in many European countries, because it is the day of Saint Florian, patron saint of firefighters.
Recent Notable Deaths
1. The world’s oldest person” Saparman Sodimejo passed away in Central Java, Indonesia, at the age of 146 years.
Sodimedjo, also known as Mbah Ghoto (Grandpa Ghoto), was born in December 1870, according to his unverified birth certificate and identification papers.
Important Abbreviations Used in this Article
|ESIC||Employee State Insurance Company|
|EPFO||Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation|
|DRDO||Defence Research and Development Organisation|
|NSG||National Security Guard|
|NDRF||National Disaster Response Force|
|NASSCOMM||National Association of Software and Services Companies|
|UNICEF||United Nations Children’s Fund|
|FIFA||International Federation of Association Football|
|GSLV||Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle|
|NASA||National Aeronautics and Space Administration|
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge. Share the article with your friends if you find it informative.
For more updates about General Awareness and Competitive Exams stay connected to our social media channels:
Image Courtesy: Google Images