Read current affairs online with GK Eduwrap. It covers the last week current affairs in a comprehensive manner ensuring you prepare confidently for the general awareness for bank exams.
National – Across the India
1. President Pranab Mukherjee has picked up lucky winners from the 100th draw of lots under the digital payments promotion schemes Lucky Grahak Yojana and Digi Dhan Vyapar Yojana.
In total six winners were selected — three consumers and three merchants of Lucky Grahak Yojana and Digi Dhan Vyapar Yojana.
2. The Union Ministry of Home Affairs has launched web portal and mobile application named “Bharat ke Veer” to enable people to contribute towards family of martyrs from central paramilitary forces.
The committee will decide the disbursement of fund equitably to braveheart’s family on need basis.
3. Madhya Pradeshgovernment kick-started its ambitious ‘Deendayal Rasoi Yojana’ under which subsidized meals will be available at Rs 5 per plate to people, especially from the economically disadvantaged sections of the
The initiative is on the lines of state run Amma Canteens, started by the former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, J Jayalalithaa, which served subsidized food at low prices.
4. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated an exhibition titled “Swachhagraha – Bapu Ko Karyanjali – Ek Abhiyan, Ek Pradarshani” in New Delhi to mark the 100 years (centenary year) of Champaran Satyagraha.
The exhibition will showcase Champaran Satyagraha and it will connect essential principles of Satyagraha with Swachhagraha.
5. Pakistan’s Field General Court Martial has sentenced to death Indian national and alleged RAW (Research and Analysis Wing) agent Kulbhushan Jadhav who was arrested last year on charges of spying.
The death sentence was confirmed by army chief Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa after the Field General Court Martial found him guilty of all the charges.
6. A new web portal “nakshe” was launched by the Union Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences, Dr. Harsh Vardhan in New Delhi, on the occasion of 250th anniversary of Survey of India(SoI).
Topographic maps or Open Series Maps (OSM) containing natural and man-made geographical features including terrain or topography are prepared by the SoI since its inception in 1767 and is in conformity with the National Map Policy-2005.
7. The Ministry of Rural Development has released 23,443.09 crore to the States as first tranche for Financial Year 2017-18 under Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS).
The amount released includes all pending liabilities as on 31st March 2017. It is also to ensure priority work on water conservation measures.
8. The Union Government has set up an Inter- Ministerial Monitoring-cum-Coordination Committee to monitor the UDAN (Ude Desh Ka Aam Naagrik) scheme.
The committee will be responsible for coordination among stakeholders, including state governments for time-bound implementation of the scheme.
It will also monitor schemes of promotion of regional connectivity by way of revival of unserved and under-served airports/airstrips and UDAN.
9. Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu announced the re-launch of Adarana scheme on the occasion of 191st birth anniversary of social reformer Mahatma Jyotirao Phule.
It will offer modern tools, technology, marketing, and financial support to artisans and those pursuing traditional occupations to raise their income levels and provide employment in the rural areas.
10. Uttar Pradesh government has scrapped the Samajwadi Pension Scheme, which was initiated by the previous Akhilesh Yadav government.
Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has also ordered a probe into the selection of beneficiaries under the scheme.
11. The Union Cabinet has approved setting up of a Special Purpose Vehicle called Government e-Marketplace (GeM SPV).
It aims for procurement of goods & services required by Central & State Government organizations.
It will replace the Directorate General of Supplies and Disposal (DGS&D) under the Ministry of Commerce.
12. The Union Cabinet has approved setting up of Indian Institute of Petroleum and Energy (IIPE) at Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh as Institute of National Importance through an Act of Parliament.
The Cabinet also approved Rs 655.46 crore as capital expenditure to set up IIPE and contribution of Rs 200 crore towards its Endowment Fund.
13. Loans disbursed under the Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana (PMMY) have crossed its target of Rs 1.8 lakh crore in the financial year 2016-17.
Non-banking financial institutions have lent about Rs 57,000 crore.
In this year’s budget, Rs 2.44 lakh crore has been set as a target for Mudra loans for the financial year 2017-18.
14. Haryana government has launched Operation Durga to ensure women safety in the state.
Under this operation, teams formed by the Chief Minister’s Flying Squad visited public places such as schools, colleges, bus stands and railway stations and caught persons indulging in crime activities against women like eve-teasing, stalking, harassment and other such activities.
15. The Income Tax department has launched the second phase of the Operation Clean Money.
It was launched to investigate over 60,000 individuals including 1,300 high risk persons with an aim to detect black money generation post demonetization.
16. The Department of Post has allotted a unique pin code for the Income Tax Department’s Central Processing Centre (CPC) based in Bengaluru.
This was done to ensure that the letters and mails sent by taxpayers to the CPC are not lost or reach the centre late.
The new pin code given to CPC is 560500.
Earlier, the CPC was using the pin code 560100.
17. The Union Ministry of Labour & Employment has launched Aadhaar Seeding Application for efficient service delivery and widening the reach of Employees Provident Fund (EPF) benefits.
It was launched at the 217th special meeting of the Central Board of Employees Provident Fund (CBEPF/EPFO) in New Delhi.
18. Jharkhand Police has initiated Tare Zameen Par programme to enlighten children in Naxal-affected areas in the Palamau district of Jharkhand.
This programme is aimed to restore confidence in the state police force and to encourage children to lead happy lives.
19. Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI) has come up with a set of guidelines for celebrities endorsing products.
ASCI have barred celebrities from endorsing product/treatment/remedy that is prohibited under The Drugs & Magic Remedies Act (Objectionable Advertisements) and the Drugs & Cosmetic Act.
Celebrities should not endorse those products which by law require a health warning on its packaging or advertisement.
20. Prime Minister has launched BHIM-Aadhaar platform from Nagpur.
It will help people to pay digitally using their biometric data like thumb imprint on a merchant’s biometric enabled device like a smart phone or a biometric reader.
21. Harisal village in Maharashtra was adopted by Microsoft to be developed as India’s first ideal digital village.
Underpinned by public health initiatives of the state government, the village is now in the reckoning for the Prime Minister’s Award for excellence in Public Administration.
22. India Licensing Expo 2017 is scheduled to be held on 20th & 21st August 2017 in Mumbai.
The expo will be organized by License India, India’s first licensing media Services Company and supported by Franchise India.
The expo will collate opportunities, knowledge and recognitions under one roof.
23. Punjab government has prohibited the inclusion of names of the government functionaries, including ministers and MLAs, on foundation stones and inaugural plaques.
The order has clarified that henceforth all projects and programmes, including those inaugurated by the CM, would be dedicated to the people of Punjab.
24. Prime Minister has launched 81 cashless/less cash townships across 12 states, in Nagpur.
The 81 townships included 56 in Gujarat and 25 in 11 states including Delhi, Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Bihar and Chhattisgarh.
The model of cashless/less cash township was developed by Gujarat Narmada Valley Fertilizers and Chemicals Ltd (GNFC) across these States under the auspices of NITI Aayog.
25. The government called off talks between India & Pakistan on maritime security which was scheduled for 17th April 2017.
The reason behind the cancellation was the issue of death sentence of Kulbhushan Jadhav, a former Indian naval officer, by a Pakistani military court.
26. Himachal Pradesh celebrated 70th Himachal Day function in Chamba.
Himachal Pradesh came into existence by merging 30 odd princely states in 1948.
International – Across the Globe
1. The twelfth edition Indo-Mongolian Joint Military Exercise Nomadic Elephant 2017 has begun at Vairengte in Mizoram.
Vairengte houses Indian Army’s elite Counter-Insurgency and Jungle Warfare School.
The first joint Nomadic Elephant was held in 2004.
2. President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi declared a three-month state of emergency in Egypt following twin church bombings that killed dozens of people in two cities.
The Islamic State group had claimed responsibility for the church bombings in the Nile Delta cities of Alexandria and Tanta in which at least 44 people were killed.
3. The first rail freight service from United Kingdom to China departed from Essex.
Earlier the first freight train in the opposite direction, from China to UK had arrived in London in January 2017.
The train service was launched as part of China’s ambitious One Belt, One Road (OBOR) initiative that aims to revive the ancient Silk Road trading routes with the West dating back more than 2,000 years.
4. The G7 Ministers of Foreign Affairs held their annual meet on 10th-11th April 2017 in Lucca.
The meeting focused on the common fight against terrorism, the situation in Libya and Ukraine, the latest worrying developments in North Korea.
5. India and Georgia have signed a Joint Statement on the launch of the Joint Feasibility Study on the Free Trade Agreement between both countries.
The objective of the study is to further promote economic, trade and investment relations between the two countries for creating favorable conditions for more comprehensive economic cooperation.
6. GBU-43, nicknamed as the Mother of All Bombs (MOAB) has been dropped by the United States over an ISIS complex in Afghanistan, near the Pakistan border.
The bomb was dropped using a Lockheed MC-130 transport plane.
The bomb has been dropped to destroy a system of tunnels and caves used by the ISIS fighters.
Sports & Athletics
1. Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton dominated the Chinese Grand Prix to take his first win of the year and move into a share of the championship lead.
Vettel finished second.
Red Bull’s Max Verstappen moved up from 16th on the grid to finish third.
2. India sealed a 4-1 win against Uzbekistan in the second round of the Davis Cup Asia/Oceania Group I tie in Bangalore to advance to the World Group playoff.
The Indians will now play the World Group playoff in September against an opponent that will be decided later through a draw in London.
3. India emerged champion at the 5th Asian School Hockey Championship with a convincing 5-1 win over Malaysia in the final.
Alishan Mohammad scored two goals and Pratap Lakra successfully converted a penalty corner and a penalty stroke in the goal.
4. The International Cricket Council has announced eight stalwarts of the modern era as Champion Ambassadors for this summer’s ICC Champions Trophy 2017.
Shahid Afridi- Pakistan.
Habibul Bashar- Bangladesh.
Ian Bell- England.
Shane Bond- New Zealand.
Mike Hussey- Australia.
Harbhajan Singh- India.
Kumar Sangakkara- Sri Lanka.
Graeme Smith- South Africa.
5. Mann Kaur, a 101-year-old great-grandmother, will represent India at the World Masters Games, considered as the Olympics for veterans in Auckland from 21st April 2017.
Kaur will compete in the 100-metre, 200-metre, shot put and javelin events in the 100-plus category.
6. India and Australia has launched Sports partnership in Mumbai aimed at increasing cooperation in sports.
The partnership will advance India – Australia cooperation in four areas: – Athlete and coach training & development, sport science, sport governance and integrity, and grassroots participation.
Awards & Recognition
1. Bihar-origin Asha Khemka was named “Asian Businesswoman of the Year” at an event in Birmingham.
She arrived in the United Kingdom with her family in 1978 without English language skills and went on to change the lives of thousands as an educationist.
The latest award was conferred on her, among others, at the 5th annual Asian Business Awards Midlands, which honours the success and achievements of local Asian businesses.
The event was organized at the Edgbaston Cricket Ground.
2. Central Hindi Institute Director N.K. Pandey announced the names of 26 writers from various categories for the prestigious Hindi Sevi Samman Awards.
The awardees will receive Rs 5 lakh each, a citation and a shawl from President Pranab Mukherjee at a ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhavan in May.
3. Colson Whitehead’s celebrated novel The Underground Railroad has won the 2017 Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
List of 2017 Pulitzer Prize Winners is as follows: –
|Letters, Drama & Music|
|Fiction||The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead|
|Drama||Sweat by Lynn Nottage|
|History||Blood in the Water: The Attica Prison Uprising of 1971 and Its Legacy, by Heather Ann Thompson|
|Biography or Autobiography||The Return: Fathers, Sons and the Land in Between, by Hisham Matar|
|Poetry||Olio, by Tyehimba Jess (Wave Books)|
|General Nonfiction||Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City, by Matthew Desmond|
|Music||Angel’s Bone, by Du Yun|
|Public Service||New York Daily News and ProPublica|
|Breaking News Reporting||Staff of East Bay Times, Oakland|
|Investigative Reporting||Eric Eyre of Charleston Gazette-Mail, Charleston/|
|Explanatory Reporting||International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, McClatchy and Miami Herald|
|Local Reporting||The Salt Lake Tribune Staff|
|National Reporting||David A. Fahrenthold of The Washington Post|
|International Reporting||The New York Times Staff|
|Feature Writing||J. Chivers of The New York Times|
|Commentary||Peggy Noonan of The Wall Street Journal|
|Criticism||Hilton Als of The New Yorker|
|Editorial Writing||Art Cullen of The Storm Lake Times, Storm Lake|
|Editorial Cartooning||Jim Morin of Miami Herald|
|Breaking News Photography||Daniel Berehulak, freelance photographer|
|Feature Photography||Jason Wambsgans of Chicago Tribune|
4. Haldia Port topped the list in the first ever ranking of ports on sanitation.
Vizag port bagged the second rank.
The exercise was undertaken during the Swachhta Pakhwada observed from the 16th to 31st of March 2017.
5. Nobel Peace laureate Malala Yousafzai became only the sixth person to receive honorary Canadian citizenship.
She is also the youngest to receive honorary Canadian citizenship — a privilege previously granted to five others, including Nelson Mandela, the Dalai Lama and Myanmar’s Aung San Suu Kyi.
6. President Pranab Mukherjee conferred the Padma awards 2017 to 44 people at Rashtrapati Bhavan. Here is the list of awardees.
|Padma Vibhushan||Singer YesudasSpiritual leader Sadhguru Jaggi VasudevSunder Lal Patwa, the former Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh was awarded posthumously|
|Padma Bhushan||Pandit Vishwa Mohan BhattDevi Prasad DwivediJainacharya Vijay Ratnasundersuri MaharajaEminent Journalist Cho Ramaswamy was given the award posthumously|
|Padma Shri||Wrestler Sakshi MalikGymnast Dipa KarmakarParalympian Mariyappan ThangaveluDiscus Thrower Vikas GowdaRenowned Chef Sanjeev KapoorMedia magnet H R Shah
Padma Shri award was conferred on 37 personalities.
Click here to read the Complete List of Padma Awards 2017 and its recipients.
7. Abdulqadir Rashik, an Indian Software Engineer has won the Unite Ideas UNGAViz Textual Analysis and Visualization Challenge for his ‘Global Policy’.
It is an open-source tool that enables users to search and interactively view General Assembly resolutions to gain a deeper understanding of the voting patterns and decisions made by United Nations Member States.
8. The President of India conferred the National Geoscience Awards 2016 (#NGA2016) on 26 geoscientists in New Delhi.
They were presented the award for their meritorious contributions in eleven fields of geosciences.
Abhishek Saha from National Institute of Oceanography Goa who got the Young Scientist Award was especially lauded by the President.
Books & Authors
1. The Vice President of India, Shri M. Hamid Ansari has received the first copy of the Book titled ‘Hope in a challenged democracy; An Indian narrative’ authored by Shri Ashwini Kumar, from the former Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh.
The former Chief Justice of India, Justice M.N. Venkatachaliah and other dignitaries were present on the occasion.
2. Prime Minister Narendra Modi released a book Matoshree authored by Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan in New Delhi.
The book covers the life and times of legendary Devi Ahilyabai Holker who ruled the Holkar Empire spread over the Malwa region from 1767 to 1795.
3. Salman Khan launched the biography of actress Asha Parekh’s autobiography: The Hit Girl.
The book is authored by celebrated film critic and author Khalid Mohamed.
It covers the life and times of an actress who ruled the hearts of many in the 1960s and 1970s.
Mergers & Acquisitions
1. E-commerce major Flipkart raised USD 1.4 billion from Tencent, eBay and Microsoft at post transaction valuation of USD 11.6 billion.
In exchange for an equity stake in Flipkart, eBay is making a cash investment of USD 500 million and selling its India business to the company.
Even as eBay has sold its India business to Flipkart, not all of its employees in India will be absorbed by the Bangalore-based company.
Appointments & Resignations
1. UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, announced the appointment of internationally acclaimed actress and philanthropist Kristin Davis as its Goodwill Ambassador.
Three years ago, Davis started her journey with UNHCR by travelling to Northern Uganda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, meeting South Sudanese refugees and hearing their stories.
2. Saraswat Co-operative Bankhas appointed Smita Sandhane as Managing Director of the bank with effect from 1st April 2017.
She is the first woman chief of India’s largest urban co-operative bank.
3. The Reserve Bank has appointed Malvika Sinha as Executive Director following the appointment of B P Kanungo as Deputy Governor.
As Executive Director, she will look after foreign exchange department, department of government and bank accounts and internal debt management wing, RBI said in a release.
4. Senior bureaucrats Ajit Kumar Srivastava and Shabri Bhattasali were appointed members of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT), the apex policy making body of the Income Tax department.
The role of the CBDT is to provide inputs for policy and planning of direct taxes in the country and the statutory authority also administers the direct tax laws through Income Tax Department.
5. Justice Gita Mittal has been appointed as the acting Chief justice of Delhi High Court with effect from 14th April 2017.
Her appointment comes at the backdrop of the retirement of current Chief justice Gorla Rohini.
She was appointed as the Chief Justice by exercising his powers conferred by article 223 of the Constitution of India.
6. Mahabaleshwara Mavinakudige Subrahmanya was appointed as the new MD and CEO of Karnataka Bank Ltd.
He will succeed Polali Jayarama Bhat.
7. Achim Steiner was named as the new administrator of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) by the UN chief Antonio Guterres.
He will succeed Helen Clark, a former New Zealand prime minister.
8. Dr. (Ms.) Mukulita Vijayawargiya took charge as Whole Time Member, the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India in New Delhi.
She will look after Administrative Law Wing, Information Technology, Limited Insolvency Examination, National Insolvency Examination, Finance and Accounts and Communication.
9. Shri Mahadevan Balakrishnan was appointed as the MD & CEO of India Post Payment Bank (IPPB).
He was appointed to the post for a period of 3 years or further orders, whichever is earlier.
Economics & Banking GK
1. ESAF Small Finance Bank has launched a social deposit scheme called Hrudaya Deposit at a function held in Thrissur.
The deposit scheme, as the name suggests, stands for a social cause, through which, ESAF Bank provides the customers an opportunity to be a part in social welfare projects, which none of the other banks has given so far, said K. Paul Thomas, Managing Director and CEO, ESAF Small Finance Bank.
2. The Bank Board Bureau (BBB) has recommended that Government should bring in reforms in the compensation process in public sector banks (PSBs) on the lines of Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs).
BBB has suggested compensation reforms in PSBs so that best practices can be introduced ‘on the lines already prevalent in CPSEs.
3. Manappuram Finance will launch its own co-branded prepaid card in tie-up with YES Bank in its efforts to promote digital financial transactions.
Prepaid Money Card can be pre-loaded up to a maximum amount of Rs 50,000 and then be used to withdraw money from all ATMs.
It can also be used for online transactions and at merchant establishments with PoS terminals.
4. The Income tax department has asked financial institutions (FIs) to ask their non-resident US-based account holders to provide self-certification of their 2014-15 (July-August) accounts by 30th April 2017.
If norms under the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) are violated, these accounts will be blocked till the self-certification is received.
5. The Union government has constituted an Inter-Disciplinary Committee to examine framework for virtual Currencies.
The committee is required to submit its report within three months.
6. The CCEA has approved increase in the Minimum Support Price (MSP) for raw Jute for 2017-18 season in order to protect the economic interests of the farmers.
The MSP was increased to Rs. 3500/- per quintal for 2017-18 season, an increase of Rs. 300/ (9.4%) over the previous year.
7. President Pranab Mukherjee has given his approval to four supporting legislations related to Goods and Services Tax (GST).
The legislations were The Central GST Act, 2017, The Integrated GST Act, 2017, The GST (Compensation to States) Act, 2017, and The Union Territory GST Act, 2017.
8. The Bank Boards Bureau (BBB) has drawn up an elaborate Governance, Reward and Accountability Framework (GRAF).
The GRAF seeks to ensure that corporate governance at PSBs is in keeping with various pieces of legislation, including the Companies Act, 2013, Banking Regulation Act, 1949, and SEBI Regulations, 2015.
9. IRDAI has launched a web portal for insurers – irda.gov.in, that will allow them to register and sell policies online.
Earlier, IRDAI had issued guidelines on e-commerce for the insurance sector.
Bills – New & Amendments
1. The Lok Sabha has passed the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill, 2016 by a voice vote to give more thrust to road safety, controlling pollution and accidents.
The bill seeks to amend the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 that provides for legal standards for motor vehicles, grant of driving licenses, and penalties for violation of these provisions.
2. Lok Sabha has passed Constitution 123rd Amendment Bill, 2017 which seeks to give constitutional status to National Commission for Backward Classes.
The bill was passed by the house with 360 MPs voting in favor and 2 against the bill.
3. Parliament has passed the HIV and AIDS (Prevention and Control) Bill, 2017.
The Bill seeks to safeguard the rights of people living with HIV and affected by HIV.
It aims to prevent social stigma and discrimination against people living with HIV (PLHIV).
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)
1. India and Australia have signed six agreements in various fields such as terrorism, sports, health, environment, aviation sector to boost bilateral cooperation.
Cooperation in Sports.
Cooperation in the field of Health and Medicine.
Cooperation in the field of Environment, Climate and Wildlife.
Promotion and Development of Cooperation in Civil Aviation Security.
Cooperation in Combatting International Terrorism and Transnational Organized Crime.
Implementation arrangement between ISRO and Geoscience Australia on Cooperation in Earth Observation and Satellite Navigation.
2. The Union Cabinet has approved signing of MoU for establishment of the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) Grid Interconnection.
It provides broad framework for members to cooperate towards implementation of grid interconnections for electricity trade to promote rational and optimal power transmission in BIMSTEC region.
3. The Indian Academy of Highway Engineers signed MoU with University of New South Wales (UNSW) to set up a Centre for Advanced Transportation Technology and Systems (CATTS).
It aims to influence and adopt global innovation into the transportation sector.
4. The Uttar Pradesh government has signed Power for All pact with the Centre to provide 24×7 power supply to all the households in the State
As a part of this pact, 10,000 energy efficiency solar- panel pumps will be distributed through Centre’s undertaking, Energy Efficiency Services (EESL).
In addition, it has been agreed to distribute energy efficient bulbs, tube lights and fans at cheaper rates.
Science & Technology
1. Astronomers using NASA’s Kepler space telescope have discovered a Venus-like planet orbiting a dim star called Kepler-1649.
The newly found planet is one-fifth the diameter of our Sun and is only slightly larger than Earth.
It is located 219 light years away from Earth.
2. Scientists at CSIR-National Institute of Oceanography (NIO) have developed a robotic platform, Seabed Resident Event Profiler (SREP).
It is capable of being stationed at any water depth from 0-200 metres to track the oceanic processes.
The robot has been designed to regularly record the water column information at every 10 to 25 cm during every profile four times a day.
1. The World Homoeopathy Day is observed every year on 10th April to pay tribute to Christian Friedrich Samuel Hahnemann, founder and father of Homeopathy system of medicine.
This year it is the 262nd birth anniversary of the founder of Homoeopathy.
This year the theme was “Enhancing Quality Research in Homoeopathy through scientific evidence and rich clinical experiences”.
2. Birth anniversary of Dr. B R Ambedkar (14th April) will be observed as Water Day in the country to sensitize people about managing precious water resources.
Ambedkar, besides being instrumental in framing the country’s Constitution, was also responsible for a definite all-India policy on managing water resources in India.
Recent Notable Deaths
1. Badminton Association of India (BAI) president and former Union Minister Akhilesh Das Gupta passed away after suffering a heart attack.
He was a prominent Educationist, Professor, Indian Politician & Philanthropist.
He held the office of the Minister for Steel from January 2006 till May 2008 under Dr. Manmohan Singh Government during UPA-I.
2. Former Jammu and Kashmir governor Girish Chandra Saxena has died after a brief illness.
He took charge as the Jammu and Kashmir Governor for the first time on 26th May 1990 and continued in the post till 13th March 1993.
He was re-appointed in 1998.
Important Abbreviations Used in this Article
|RAW||Research and Analysis Wing|
|MGNREGS||Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme|
|EPF||Employees provident Fund|
|ASCI||Advertising Standards Council of India|
|ICC||International Cricket Council|
|UNHCR||United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees|
|CBDT||Central Board of Direct Taxes|
|UNDP||United Nations Development Programme|
|CPSEs||Central Public Sector Enterprises|
|GRAF||Governance, Reward and Accountability Framework (GRAF)|
|IRDAI||Insurance Regulatory & Development Authority.|
|HIV||Human Immunodeficiency Virus|
|AIDS||Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome|
|BIMSTEC||Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation|
|SREP||Seabed Resident Event Profiler|
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge. Share the article with your friends if you find it informative.
For more updates about General Awareness and Competitive Exams stay connected to our social media channels:
Image Courtesy: Google Images