Read current affairs online with GK Eduwrap. It covers the last week current affairs in a comprehensive manner ensuring you prepare confidently for the general awareness for bank exams.
National – Across the India
1. Kolkata city will set to have India’s first underwater transportation tunnel Metro Rail Service under the river Hoogly.
The project connects Howrah to the west and Salt Lake to the east and has a stretch of 16.6 km with 12 stations.
2. The government has launched the ‘Tele-Law’ initiative to make legal aid easily accessible to the marginalized communities and citizens living in rural areas.
3. Uttar Pradesh ranked First in Number of Child Labourers as the data presented by the Child Rights and You (CRY) Report.
They also say that more than 8 lakh children between the age group of 5 and 6 years in India are engaged in child labour.
4. India has emerged as the seventh largest exporter of agri-products globally.
Vietnam, UAE, Saudi Arabia, USA, Iran, Iraq, and Nepal are the major destinations for export of food products from India.
5. The Indian Railways is planning to induct about 40,000 coaches with improved interiors and upgraded facilities at an estimated cost of Rs. 8,000 crores to provide world-class comfort to passengers.
The coaches will be retrofitted with refurbished interiors, improved seating arrangement and newly designed bio-toilets among other facilities.
6. Anuyatra, a campaign of the Kerala government for persons with special needs, was launched to transform the state to a disabled-friendly one and empower differently-abled children by bringing them to the forefront of the mainstream society.
7. Union minister M. Venkaiah Naidu presented 100 volumes of collected works of Mahatma Gandhi to Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan for the Parliament Library.
The written works of national movement evoked a sense of popular participation, feeling of oneness and unity for the nation.
8. The Centre has approved proposals for setting up of 100 Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy (AYUSH) hospitals across the country.
The ministry has approved setting up of two 50-bedded integrated AYUSH hospitals at Theni and Tiruvannamalai districts in Tamil Nadu.
9. An open defecation-free village in Mewat, Haryana, will be named after U.S. President Donald Trump to build a good relationship between India and the United States.
11. The Union cabinet approved the Interest Subvention Scheme (ISS) for farmers for the year 2017-18 to make the available agricultural credit for short-term crop loans at an affordable rate.
The Government has allocated Rs. 20,339 crores for this scheme.
12. Sabka Saath Sabka Vikas Sammelan organized by V.O. Chidambaranar Port Trust at Esakki Mahal in Tenkasi in Tirunelveli district of Tamil Nadu.
The centre has implemented various schemes like Ujwala, Jan Dhan Yojana and Skill Development for the benefit of the weaker sections of the society.
13. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the 13-kilometer section of Kochi Metro from the Palarivattom station.
The Kochi Metro will be the first in India to use Communication Based Train Control technology to maximize frequencies and minimize errors.
14. India has ranked 75th in Environmental Impact Survey conducted by UK-based Money Super Market.
15. The Haryana Government announced immediate implementation of the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY) to help farmers avail of insurance cover against crop loss due to natural calamities for 2017-18.
International – Across the Globe
1. The United Nations has held its first ever Ocean Conference on protecting the world’s seas and waterways.
The member nations are using the Ocean Conference to renew their commitment to combatting rising sea levels, pollution, and harmful fishing practices.
2. Ministry of Home Affairs has constituted anexpert committee to examine the rules which allow free movement of people near Indo-Myanmar border.
3. India to be a co-partner in a global food and beverages trade ANUGA to be held in Cologne, Germany from 7th-11th October 2017.
4. G7 Environment Ministers Meeting was held in Bologna, Italy on 11-12th June 2017 to discuss issues ranging from climate change to sustainable development and litter at sea.
5. Technology giant Google has topped the 2017 BrandZ Top 100 Most Valuable Global Brands list, with a brand value of over $245 billion.
US tech giants Apple, Microsoft, and Facebook were also among the five most valuable brands.
6. According to a statement issued by the ILO in Geneva, Switzerland India contract two key ILO conventions on child Labour.
The two ILO conventions are: The Minimum Age Convention (No 138) and The Worst Forms of Child Labour Convention (No 182).
7. Indians working across the world had sent home USD 62.7 billion in 2016 making India the top remittance-receiving country surpassing China, according to UN Report.
8. The United Nations General Assembly has approved the establishment of a new United Nations office of counter-terrorism to help Member States implement UN’s global counter-terrorism strategy.
9. India ranked 60th on the Global Innovation Index (GII) 2017, co-authored by Cornell University, European Institute of Business Administration (INSEAD) and World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO).
The list is topped by Singapore followed by Sweden and Netherlands at second and third place respectively.
10. India has won its re-election to the UN’s principal organ on economic, social and environmental issues for another three-year term.
India was one among the 18 nations to win election to the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
11. India will host the third annual meeting of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) will be held in Mumbai, India, in June 2018.
Sports & Athletics
1. The 2017 French Open was held from 28th May to 11th June 2017 at a Roland Garros Stadium, Paris, France. Here is the list of winners to the tournament.
|Category||Name of the Winner|
|Men’s Single’s||Rafael Nadal (Spain)|
|Women’s Single||Jelena Ostapenko (Latvia)|
|Men’s Doubles||Michael Venus (New Zealand)-Ryan Harrison (United States)|
|Women’s Doubles||Bethanie Mattek-Sands (United States) / Luice Safarova (Czech Republic)|
|Mixed Doubles||Gabriela Dabrowski (Canada) / Rohan Bopanna (India)|
2. England won the FIFA under-20 World Cup final at Suwon World Cup Stadium by defeating Venezuela team.
3. Lewis Hamilton has won Canadian Grand Prix by defeating Valtteri Bottas in the finals.
Sebastian Vettel finished at the fourth
4. Indian shooting pair of Jitu Rai and Heena Sidhu outclassed their Russian counterparts by 7-6 in the mixed team air pistol final event to win a gold medal at the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Cup in Azerbaijan.
5. Rafael Nadal has increased his rankings by two spots to stand at No.2 in the ATP rankings which is his highest since October 2014
Men’s Tennis ATP Current Rankings: -
First Rank: Andy Murray (Great Britain)
Second Rank: Rafael Nadal (Spain)
Third Rank: Stan Wawrinka (Switzerland)
Fourth Rank: Novak Djokovic (Serbia & Montenegro)
Fifth Rank: Roger Federer (Switzerland)
6. Shashikant Kutwal, a railway employee with Pune Division, has won the gold medal at the 17th World Individual Chess Championship for differently-abled, held in Slovakia from May 27 to June 6, 2017.
7. According to the latest MRF Tyres ICC ODI Player Rankings, Indian captain Virat Kohli reclaimed the world number one position.
The Top 5 ICC ODI Batting Rankings are:
First Place: Virat Kohli (India).
Second Place: David Warner (Australia).
Third Place: AB de Villiers (South Africa).
Fouth Place: Joe Root (England).
Fifth Place: Kane Williamson (New Zealand).
8. Yuvraj Singh became the Fifth Indian cricket player to feature in 300 One Day Internationals (ODI).
9. India’s Skipper Virat Kohli created a record by becoming the quickest batsman to score 8000 runs in One-Day International Cricket (ODI).
He defeated South Africa’s AB de Villiers record by seven fewer innings.
Awards & Recognition
1. Bengali actor, Soumitra Chatterjee conferred with the France’s highest civilian honor, the Legion of Honour.
The award will be presented by the Ambassador of France to India Alexandre Ziegler.
2. Dr. Sudam Kate received the prestigious “2017 Sickle Cell Advocate of the Year” award and became the first Indian to receive this International award.
3. 12-year-old Padmalaya Nanda from Odisha has bagged the “Little Miss Universe Internet 2017” and “Little Miss Actress” crowns at the Little Miss Universe 2017 at the port city of Batumi in Georgia.
She will now participate in the “Little Miss World 2017″ competition that will be held at Greece from Sept 25th Sept to 1st Oct 2017.
4. Indian superstars Shahrukh Khan, Salman Khan and Akshay Kumar are among Forbes’ annual list of the Highest-Paid Celebrities in the world.
5. NASA posthumously awarded the Exceptional Public Service Medal to Michael A’Hearn.
The NASA Medal is for the fundamental work on comets and small bodies of the solar system, leadership in space missions, and ensuring public access to data from NASA missions and related projects.
6. Israeli author David Grossman has won the Man Booker International Prize for his novel A Horse Walks into a Bar.
The award has a prize of 50,000 pounds ($64,000) that is split evenly between Grossman and translator Jessica Cohen.
7. The Fifth Bhupen Hazarika National Award 2017 awarded to an eminent writer from Arunachal Pradesh Yeshe Dorjee Thongshi.
This award is presented to honour whose outstanding literary work at National and International level.
8. Bollywood superstar Salman Khan’s ‘Sultan’ has been lined up for a showcase at the 20th Shanghai International Film Festival.
9. Indian-American filmmaker Mira Nair won the Dorothy Arzner Directors Award for the film Queen of Katwe at this year’s Women In Film Crystal + Lucy Awards.
Elizabeth Banks won the Crystal Award for Excellence in Film and Tracee Ellis Ross won the Lucy Award for Excellence in Television.
Books & Authors
1. The book “Indira Gandhi – A life in Nature” was launched by Congress president Sonia Gandhi at the Indira Gandhi Memorial, authored by former Union minister Jairam Ramesh.
The book would be made available in a number of languages including Hindi, Malayalam, Kannada and some others.
2. Former Uttarakhand chief minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank, book titled ‘Yug Purush, Bharat Ratna, Atal Ji’ will be released officially.
The first copy of the book on the social and political life of Vajpayee was presented to our President Pranab Mukherjee.
Mergers & Acquisitions
1. Verizon completed its acquisition of Yahoo in a deal worth $4.48 billion (nearly Rs. 29,000 crore).
Yahoo Internet operations will be now integrated into a new unit called Oath, which also includes brands like AOL and Huffington Post.
The new unit will be overseen by former AOL CEO Tim Armstrong.
2. Yes Bank has partnered with mobile payments switch TerraPay to enable real time money transfer to bank accounts in India.
The partnership will make it faster and convenient for consumers to send money to any bank account.
3. Amazon will acquire Whole Foods Market for $42 per share in an all-cash transaction valued at approximately $13.7 billion, including Whole Foods Market’s net debt.
Appointments & Resignations
1. Amit Sinha appointed as the Chief Operating Officer of Paytm Mall.
He will be responsible for overall operations of Paytm Mall and expand the team to ensure customers to have access to the widest assortment of products.
2. Ramanathan Ramanan, senior vice president at TCS, has been appointed as mission director of Atal Innovation Mission, under NITI Aayog as additional secretary.
3. The Union Government appointed ambassadors to three European countries, Italy, Denmark and Belgium.
Gaitri Issar Kumar – India’s next ambassador to Belgium.
Reenat Sandhu – Head of India’s diplomatic mission in Italy.
Ajit Vinayak Gupte – Ambassador to Denmark.
4. Law expert Neeru Chadha has been elected to the International Tribunal for the Law of the Seas (ITLOS).
She has become the first Indian woman to be appointed as a judge at the ITLOS.
5. Tata Motors appointed Girish Wagh as the head of its Commercial Vehicle Business Unit.
He will replace Ravindra Pisharody, Executive Director (Commercial Vehicles).
6. Leo Varadkar, first Indian-origin premier was elected Irish Prime Minister.
He took over Enda Kenny, Former Prime Minister of Irish.
7. Congress MLA Ajaib Singh Bhatti was unanimously elected as the Deputy Speaker of Punjab Legislative Assembly.
8. EazyDiner appointed cricketer Yuvraj Singh as Global Brand Ambassador.
EazyDiner is an online restaurant reservation platform.
EazyDiner is currently existing in Delhi NCR, Mumbai, Bengaluru, Kolkata, Pune, Chennai, Ahmedabad and Goa in India and Dubai.
Economics & Banking GK
1. GST Council has revised the rates of 66 items for Goods and Services Tax which will be effective from 1st July 2017.
The items include pickles, sauces, fruit preserves, insulin, cashew nuts, insulin, school bags, coloring books, notebooks, printers, cutlery, agar batties and cinema tickets, following representations from industry.
2. RBI’s Internal Advisory Committee (IAC) has identified 12 bank accounts constituting nearly 25% of the gross bad loans for immediate referral and resolution under the bankruptcy law.
3. Central Bank of India has been placed under the RBI’s watch list on Prompt Corrective Action (PCA) owing to high bad loans and negative return on assets.
4. China-led Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has approved $150 million equity investment loan to the India Infrastructure Fund.
5. The Reserve Bank of India announced that it has issued Rs. 500 denomination notes with inset letter A, bearing the signature of Urjit R. Patel.
However, the old notes with inset letter E will continue to remain the legal tender.
6. According to the Code Compliance Rating of banks done by the India BCSBI 2017, IDBI Bank was the only public -sector bank that got ‘high (H)’ (85 and above score out of 100) rating in two successive surveys.
7. According to Reserve Bank of India, India’s current account deficit (CAD) narrowed down to 0.7% of the GDP during 2016-17 fiscal owing to a contraction in the country’s trade deficit.
The CAD for the last fiscal narrowed from that of 1.1% in 2015-16 due to contraction in the trade deficit.
8. The government has made Aadhaar mandatory for opening bank accounts as well as for carrying out financial transactions above of Rs 50,000.
In addition, the government has asked all the existing account holders to link Aadhaar numbers to their bank accounts by December 31, 2017.
Bills – New & Amendments
1. The Union Cabinet approved the proposal to introduce a Financial Resolution and Deposit Insurance Bill 2017.
This bill will provide a comprehensive resolution framework for financial sector entities to deal with bankruptcy situation in banks, insurance companies, and other entities.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)
1. India and Mauritius signed a pact to institutionalize Parliamentary Cooperation of the two countries.
The MoU was signed by Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan and Speaker of National Assembly of Mauritius Santi Bai Hanoomanjee after their meeting in Port Louis.
2. MoU between India and Palestine was approved by Union Cabinet of India to provides for cooperation in the fields of agricultural research, irrigation and climate change and several other categories.
3. Panama established formal diplomatic ties with China and broke all its relationship with Taiwan.
This move is a victory for China in its drive to isolate Taiwan from the rest of the world.
4. Indian Oil, Bharat Petroleum and Hindustan Petroleum, has have signed the joint venture agreement to jointly set up the world’s largest refinery and petrochemical complex in Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra.
IOC will hold 50% stake and the HPCL and BPCL will each hold a stake of 25% each in the new complex.
5. Switzerland signed an automatic exchange of financial account information with India in order to facilitate immediate sharing of details.
The implementation of the exchange sharing agreement has been planned for 2018 and hence the first set of data is likely to be exchanged in the year 2019.
Science & Technology
1. US-based aviation company Cirrus Aircraft has launched the world’s smallest and most affordable private jet called ‘Vision Jet’ for Rs 12.62 crore.
The jet has only one engine and can cruise at 555 kmph.
It has a maximum operating altitude of 28,000 feet, and takes off from just 620 metres of runway.
2. China has launched the world’s largest floating solar farm.
It’s a 40-megawatt power plant that has 160,000 panels resting on a lake that emerged after the collapse of a coal mine in central Anhui province.
3. DRDO successfully test fired anti-tank ‘Nag’ missile in Rajasthan.
The helicopter launched version known as Helicopter-Launched NAG (HELINA).
4. Scientists are developing a new system that would be able to predict if a car driver is about to have a heart attack.
The feature would help avoid road accidents due to an unexpected cardiac event.
5. Indian warships reached Australia’s port city of Freemantle to take part in a week-long naval exercise AUSINDEX-17 off the Western Australian coast.
Indian warships INS Kamorta, the INS Shivalik (first stealth warship built in India), and oiler INS Jyoti, will take part in the exercise.
6. NTPC developed India’s first 150 kW canal top solar PV System on cooling water channel inside power station premises.
It was set up at NTPC 2320 MW, Mouda Thermal Power Project in Nagpur Maharashtra.
7. China has launched its first X-ray space telescope to study black holes, pulsars and gamma-ray bursts.
The telescope weighing 2.5 tonne was sent to the space using China’s Long March-4B rocket.
8. According to NASA, May 2017 was the second hottest month in a span of 137 years.
The temperature of May 2017 was 0.88 degrees Celsius warmer than the mean May temperature from 1951-1980.
1. The World Day against Child Labour is being observed annually across the world on 12th June to bring awareness against child labour.
The aim of the day is to focus attention on the global extent of child labour and the action and efforts needed to eliminate it.
The theme for the year 2017 is – In conflicts and disasters, protect children from child labour.
2. World Blood Donor Day is celebrated every year by the people in many countries around the world on 14th June.
The aim is to raise the public awareness about the need for safe blood donation (including its products) voluntarily and unpaid by the healthy person.
The theme for 2017 is – Giving blood in a time of crisis.
3. The World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD) is commemorated on 15th June every year across the world.
The 2017 theme for the WEAAD is – Understand and End Financial Abuse of Older People: A Human Rights Issue.
It aims the importance of preventing financial exploitation in the context of elder abuse to the enjoyment of older persons human rights.
4. The International Day of Family Remittances (IDFR) was celebrated every year on 16th June.
The day is aimed at recognizing the significant financial contribution migrant workers make to the wellbeing of their families back home.
5. The World Day to Combat Desertification was observed every year on 17th June.
The aim is to promote public awareness relating to International cooperation to combat desertification and the effects of drought.
The theme of 2017 is – Our land. Our home. Our Future.
Recent Notable Deaths
1. Legendary Telugu poet and writer C. Narayana Reddy passed away in Hyderabad.
He was a recipient of the prestigious “Jnanpith award”.
The 85-year-old doyen of Telugu language had to his credit more than 80 publications, which include poems, songs, lyrical dramas, ballets, essays, travelogues and ghazals.
2. Adam West, the US actor best known as the star of the 1960s hit TV series Batman, has died aged 88.
In 2012, he was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
3. Former German Chancellor, Helmut Kohl, died at his house in Ludwigshafen, in the Western State of Germany.
4. Former Chief Justice of India Prafullachandra Natwarlal Bhagwati, who is considered as a pioneer of Judicial Activism has passed away.
He was a former chief justice of the Gujarat High Court and was appointed a judge of the Supreme Court in July 1973.
Important Abbreviations Used in this Article
|AYUSH||Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy|
|ILO||International Labour Organisation|
|FIFA||Federation International de Football Association|
|ISSF||International Shooting Sport Federation|
|NITI||National Institute for Transforming India|
|SEBI||Securities and Exchange Board of India|
|FDI||Foreign Direct Investment|
|IDBI||Industrial Development Bank of India|
|NASA||National Aeronautics and Space Administration|
|NTPC||National Thermal Power Corporation|
|DRDO||Defence Research and Development Organisation|
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge. Share the article with your friends if you find it informative.
For more updates about General Awareness and Competitive Exams stay connected to our social media channels:
Image Courtesy: Google Images