Read current affairs online with GK Eduwrap. It covers the last week current affairs in a comprehensive manner ensuring you prepare confidently for the general awareness for bank exams.
National – Across the India
1. Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu has flagged-off first-ever train with glass roof coaches on Visakhapatnam-Araku route through video conferencing from Bhubaneswar.
The aim is to provide a delightful traveling experience of the picturesque Araku valley.
It is a 40-seat coach with a cost of Rs. 3.38 crore.
2. The Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA) has launched its own portal and mobile app in New Delhi.
The portal will act as a one-stop for States’ Higher Education Plans, the decision of the States’ Higher Education Councils and details of the resources under this scheme.
The gallery of the portal will provide a rich repository of the projects initiated under RUSA.
3. After incidents of flight delay and assault on its employees, Air India has proposed to introduce new rules on passengers.
Air India has proposed to impose a fine ranging from Rs. 5 to Rs 15. lakh on unruly passengers who cause delays to flights before or after landing.
FIR/police complaint to be filed immediately under the relevant section of the IPC.
Training will be imparted to airport/ security staff on the handling of unruly passengers.
4. The President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated 3rd edition of the Global Exhibition on Services (GES-2017) at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
India can be a key partner for emerging services such as facilities management, event and exhibition, urban infrastructure and environmental services.
5. The Government has launched a nationwide programme for capacity building of Elected Women Representatives (EWRs) of Panchayats and a training program for Trainers of women panchayat leaders at Ranchi, Jharkhand.
It was launched at the grassroot level in various fields like engineering finance, social development, education, health, and environment among others.
6. Indian Railways will impart training to over 500 railwaymen on high-speed rail technology in China and Japan, running trains at speed ranging from 160 to 200 kmph in select corridors in the country.
7. The Andhra Pradesh state government has formulated guidelines for a market intervention exercise to help red chilly farmers in the state.
As per the modalities of the scheme, chilly stocks with the farmers would be bought at the price fixed by the government and each farmer will get the additional benefit of Rs 1,500 per quintal, subject to a ceiling of 20 quintals.
8. Supreme Court has ordered auction of its prime Aamby Valley township near Lonavala in Pune.
The reason is its failing to deposit Rs 5,000 crore of the Rs 14,000-crore due towards refund to investors.
9. The Haryana government has exempted solar equipment and parts used in the installation of solar power projects from value added tax (VAT).
Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh have already exempted solar energy devices from VAT.
This exemption will cost the state exchequer about Rs 2.30 crore.
10. The Delhi and Chennai Metro Rail systems have decided to install platform screen doors (PSD) in underground stations, in a bid to prevent suicide attempts.
These doors are synchronized to open along with the train doors, thereby blocking access to the track for commuters.
While in the Delhi Metro with over 150 stations PSDs are being set up only in six major stations for now, all the 19 underground stations of the Chennai Metro Rail will have this facility.
11. Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT) will start functioning in Madhya Pradesh from August this year.
The foundation stone for the new campus, at Kothri Kalan on Bhopal-Indore Highway in Sehore district, was laid by the MP Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan last year.
The Supreme Court has granted an exemption to six categories of disabled people from standing when the national anthem is played before the screening of a film in theatres.
12. The six categories include people suffering from cerebral palsy, Parkinson disease, muscular dystrophy and other categories of disability.
In addition, the Court has also issued notice to the union government on the plea seeking Vande Mataram to be made mandatory in schools.
13. The Department of Telecommunication announced that the mobile subscribers cannot pay more than Rs 20,000 in one tranche to buy a service or download content by using their pre-paid account balance or through post-paid bills.
The system is helpful for those subscribers who do not have access to debit, credit cards or net banking system.
14. The Union Cabinet have cleared purchase of VVPAT (Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail) machines as requested by the Election Commission.
Over 16 lakh VVPATs would be required, at an estimated cost of 3,174 crores, to cover all polling stations in the next Lok Sabha polls.
15. The National Green Tribunal has directed an immediate and complete shutdown of all industries around Bengaluru’s Bellandur Lake.
It also banned dumping of any kind of municipal solid waste around the lake and announced an environment compensation of Rs 5 lakh on anyone found dumping waste in and around the lake.
16. The India Meteorological Department’s (IMD) has predicted a normal monsoon this year with a rainfall of 96% of the long-period average (LPA).
Rainfall between 96% and 104% of LPA is considered as normal. The country had to suffer back-to-back droughts in 2014 and 2015.
17. The Union Cabinet has put a ban on the use of red beacons atop cars of VIPs with effect from 1st May 2017.
Three categories -the President, Vice-President and Chief Justice of India were exempted from the ban.
Accordingly, fire brigade, ambulance services, police vehicles and other emergency services will be allowed to use the blue beacon.
18. The Union Cabinet has approved the policy guidelines to permit financially sound State Government entities to borrow directly from bilateral ODA (Official Development Assistance) partners.
The purpose is to implement vital infrastructure projects.
The eligibility criteria for state entities would be a revenue of over Rs 1,000 crore.
19. Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh has inaugurated a two-day Civil Services Day function in New Delhi on 20th April 2017.
Three Breakaway Sessions on subjects related to Agriculture, Energy and Skill Development and Entrepreneurship will also be organized.
20. The government has extended the deadline till 30th April 2017 for those who are yet to pay 25% of their undisclosed income as interest-free deposits under the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana (PMGKY) scheme.
The scheme was started on 17th December 2016 and closed on 31st March 2017.
It was the second income disclosure scheme announced by the government after the demonetization of Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 notes in November 2016.
21. The Supreme Court (SC) approved the e-auction of Taj Mansingh Hotel in New Delhi.
New Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC) was allowed by the Supreme Court to e-auction the property.
The auctioning the Taj Mansingh Hotel property was stiffly opposed by Tata group-run Indian Hotels Company Ltd which manages the hotel.
22. Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal has suggested an idea of developing the birthplace of Srimanta Sankardev Batadrava as an international tourist spot.
The state government plans to develop the birthplace on the lines of the Golden Temple of Amritsar.
The site is proposed to be developed as an ideal place for religious and cultural tourism.
23. The Supreme Court has set 25% of the net salary of the husband to be paid as alimony to his estranged wife.
The Court has observed that the alimony paid to a woman must be just and proper.
The amount paid must be enough to ensure that a woman lives with dignity after separating from her husband.
24. Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare announced the finalization of India’s comprehensive and multi-sectoral National Action Plan to combat Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR).
The announcement was made at the Inter-Ministerial Consultation on AMR containment held at New Delhi.
The plan aims to enhance the awareness, improve rational use of antibiotics and promote research.
25. MGNREGA has reached a major milestone by geotagging one crore assets created under the scheme.
The scale of assets created under MGNREGA is massive and is estimated to be about 2.82 crore assets since the financial year 2006-07.
The focus would be given to geotagging of Natural Resource Management works primarily the water-related works.
26. The Union Government and two Naga Rebel groups have agreed to extend the ceasefire till 27th April 2018.
The two Naga armed factions are- National Socialist Council of Nagaland-Reformation (NSCN-R) and National Socialist Council of Nagaland-Neakpao-Kithovi (GPRN/NSCN).
27. Uttar Pradesh has decided to establish 40 Yoga wellness centres in 40 districts across the state in the present financial year.
Out of 40 centres, 23 will be set up at Ayurvedic hospitals, 12 at homeopathic and 7 at Unani hospitals and colleges.
28. Union Minister of Law and Justice Ravi Shankar Prasad inaugurated three welfare initiatives- Pro Bono, Tele Law Service and Nyaya Mitra that would facilitate access to justice for the poor.
‘Pro-bono legal services’ where lawyers can register themselves to volunteer pro-bono services for litigants who are unable to afford it.
‘Tele-law service’ seeks to connect litigants with lawyers through video conferencing facilities.
‘Nyaya Mitra’, a retired judicial officer, or an executive officer with judicial experience, will be put in charge of assisting those suffering due to judicial delays.
29. The Indian Railways will increase 3AC coaches in long distance trains to cater to the growing demand for air-conditioned coaches.
Railway data shows that between 1st April 2016 and 10th March 2017, 3AC coaches carried 17 per cent of all passengers in long-distance trains which accounted for 32.60 per cent of all the earnings from passenger fares.
30. Ministry of Food and Consumer Affairs has approved the Guidelines on Fair Trade Practices Related to Charging of Service Charge from Consumers by Hotels and Restaurants’.
As a part of the guidelines the government has said that Service charge on hotel and restaurant bills is totally voluntary, adding that mandatory levy of service charge amounts to unfair trade practice.
31. UAE-based billionaire B R Shetty will invest Rs 1,000 crore ($150 million) to produce a two-part film
The film will be directed by ad filmmaker V A Shrikumar Menon and is scheduled to be released in early 2020.
International – Across the Globe
1. Nepal and China has begun the first-ever joint military exercise Sagarmatha Friendship-2017 from 16th April 2017 with a special focus on combating terror and disaster management.
The 10-day-long military drill that will last till 25th April 2017.
Sagarmatha is the Nepali name of Mount Everest, the world’s highest peak, that is bordering between Nepal and China.
2. U.S. President Donald Trump is set to sign an executive order that would tighten the process of issuing H-1B visas.
This was a transitional step aimed at achieving a more skills-based and merit-based immigration system.
3. Australia has abolished the 457 Visa Programme used by thousands of temporary foreign workers, most of them being Indians to address growing unemployment in that country.
Australia wants to adopt ‘Australians first’ approach to skilled migration.
4. The UN Postal Administration (UNPA) is issuing a set of stamps showing 10 yoga ‘asanas’ to commemorate the International Day of Yoga on 21st June 2017 in New York.
The 10 stamps of $1.15 denomination each depict a different yoga pose next to a large ‘Om’ in Devanagri script.
However, the yoga stamps would be issued only in the US dollar denomination in New York.
5. India has contributed USD 2,50,000 to the UN Election Assistance Division to help other countries to hold elections and develop their electoral systems.
This is the second time that India has contributed USD 2,50,000 towards electoral assistance and capacity building.
The first assistance was made in 2012.
6. Chinese President Xi Jinping has announced a restructure of the People’s Liberation Army (PLA).
The aim is to make PLA as a leaner fighting force with enhanced joint operations capability.
7. A set of four rare stamps featuring the portrait of Mahatma Gandhi has been sold for record £500,000 at an auction in the UK.
Only 13 of the 1948 Gandhi 10-rupee Purple Brown and Lake ‘Service’ stamps are in circulation.
8. Five prominent Madhesi parties in Nepal have united to form a new united party named the Rastriya Janata Party. The five parties that have united are:
Mahantha Thakur‘s Tarai Madhes Loktantrik Party,
Rajendra Mahato‘s Sadbhawana Party,
Sharat Singh Bhandari‘s Rastriya Madhes Samajbadi Party,
Mahendra Yadav‘s Tarai Madhes Sadbhawana Party
Rajkishor Yadav‘s Madhesi Janadhikar Forum- Ganatantrik.
9. The 2017 BRICS Film Festival will be held in Chengdu, southwest China’s Sichuan Province from 23rd – 27th June 2017.
There will be 30 films from BRICS countries screened during the festival.
The first BRICS Film Festival was held in New Delhi, India in 2016.
10. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate UN Vesak Day in Colombo, Sri Lanka on 12th May 2017.
Vesak Day, also known as Buddha Poornima, is a traditional holiday commemorated by Sri Lanka’s majority Sinhala Buddhists.
This year’s theme is ‘Buddhist teachings for social justice and sustainable world peace’.
11. Iran’s former President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has been disqualified from running in next month’s presidential election.
The decision was taken by Guardian Council, with vetting candidates for the May 19 election.
12. Cuba and Morocco have signed an agreement to re-establish diplomatic ties after a time period of 37 years at the headquarters of the Permanent Mission of Cuba to the United Nations.
The two governments have also agreed to forge political, economic and cultural cooperation.
Sports & Athletics
1. Indian shuttler B Sai Praneeth clinched his maiden Super Series title at the Singapore Open.
He defeated compatriot K Srikanth in a historic final.
2. National badminton coach Pullela Gopichand’s daughter Gayathri Gopichand has bagged both the singles and doubles crown at the Pembangunan Jaya Raya Junior Grand Prix in Jakarta.
Gayatri scored 21-11 18-21 21-16 over her doubles partner Samiya Farooqui to win the girls U-15 singles title.
3. Sebastian Vettel claimed a well-judged victory for Ferrari in the Bahrain Grand Prix for his second win of the season.
The 29-year-old four-time champion has won by three seconds from three-time champion Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes.
4. Sagar Baheti has become the first visually impaired Indian runner to complete the historic 121st Boston Marathon.
He completed a distance of 42.16 km distance in just over four hours.
5. International Cricket Council (ICC) has named Saurav Ganguly and Ricky Ponting as the commentators for the Champions Trophy 2017.
Other cricketers in the commentary panel include: Shane Warne, Michael Slater, Nasser Hussain, Michael Atherton, Shaun Pollock, Sanjay Manjrekar, Ian Bishop, Ramiz Raja, Simon Doull and Athar Ali Khan.
6. The Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) will feature Video gaming as a full sport at the 2022 Asian Games.
The aim is to reflect the rapid development and popularity of this new form of sports participation among the youth.
It will be included as a demonstration sport at the 2018 Asian Games in Palembang, Indonesia.
7. Five Russian athletes have been given two-year doping bans for offences at the 2012 Olympics and 2013 track and field world championships.
The five include Antonina Krivoshapka, who won silver with the Russian 4×400 relay team at the Olympics, and Yevgenia Kolodko, who was the 2012 Olympic shot put silver medallist.
8. Nine-year-old Elinor from the West Midlands have been chosen as mascots for the upcoming IAAF World Championships and World Para Athletics.
Hero the Hedgehog’ and ‘Whizbee the Bee’ were chosen from over 4,000 entries in a competition.
9. Ace shuttler PV Sindhu has been ranked No. 3 in the latest BWF ranking.
Sindhu who was at No.5 climbed up two places on the basis of making the quarter-finals of the recently-concluded Singapore Open Super Series.
10. Golfers Aditi Ashok, S.S.P Chawrasia and Ali Sher won the second edition of the Golf Industry Association (GIA) Awards 2017.
Aditi Ashok bagged the award for Outstanding Achievement.
SSP Chawrasia bagged the award for the Men’s Player of the Year (2016).
Ali Sher was awarded for his outstanding playing career.
11. Indian sportswear brand Zeven, has snapped up the rights for International Cricket Council (ICC) merchandise in 23 markets, including India.
The brand is jointly owned by tennis star Mahesh Bhupathi and former Nike country head Hemachandra Javeri.
The four-year contract gives Zeven exclusive licence rights to apparel, accessories and select footwear, including replicas and lifestyle ranges of ICC.
Awards & Recognition
1. Padma Shri Dipa Karmakar, Olympic medalist Sakshi Malik and actor Alia Bhatt have made it to the Forbes’ Under 30 Achievers List.
The list features 300 impressive young entrepreneurs in 10 categories, including entertainment, finance and venture capital, retail, social entrepreneurs and enterprise technology.
With 53 Indians on the list, the country is second only to China which has 76 achievers.
2. Dr.Paduru Gururaja Bhat Award 2017 has been conferred upon Prof. A.V. Narasimha Murthy, Chairman, Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan (BVB), Mysuru.
Murthy was selected for the award in consideration of his contribution to Indian Archaeology, Ancient History and Numismatics.
3. Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has won the Time magazine’s Reader Poll of the 100 most influential people in the world.
He was closely followed by Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Pope Francis, Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates and Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg.
4. Tamil Nadu, Himachal Pradesh and Tripura for the Krishi Karman awards for their record performance in the production of food grains during 2015-16.
Apart from these states, Meghalaya would get commendation prize for total food grain production and would be given a cash award of Rs 1 crore.
5. UNESCO has named Giuseppina Nicolini, Mayor of Lampedusa (Italy) and the non-governmental organization SOS Mediterranean (France) as the winners of Felix Houphouet-Boigny Peace Prize 2017.
They received the award for their work to save the lives of refugees and migrants and welcome them with dignity.
6. Raj Kumar, a Hindu youth from Pakistan has been selected for the prestigious Emerging Young Leaders Award given by the US State Department for the positive role played by youngsters in building sustainable peace.
10 youths across the world have been selected for the second edition of the award.
Those selected for the award include youngsters from Malta, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, Algeria, Tajikistan, Belgium, Vietnam, Peru and Israel.
7. The English translation of Perumal Murugan’s controversial Tamil novel Maadhorubaagan has won the Sahitya Akademi’s Translation Prize 2016.
The Novel titled One Part Woman, the translation in English is done by Aniruddhan Vasudevan and the book is published by Penguin.
8. Veteran actress Saira Banu and Actor Jackie Shroff were named for the prestigious Raj Kapoor Lifetime achievement award of the Maharashtra Government.
Noted Marathi actors Vikram Gokhale and Arun Nalawade were selected for the coveted V. Shantaram Lifetime Achievement and V.Shantaram Special Contribution annual awards.
9. Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Paytm founder Vijay Shekhar Sharma were included in an annual list of 100 most influential people in the world 2017 released by the Time magazine.
The magazine has also included US President Donald Trump, Russian President Vladimir Putin and British Prime Minister Theresa May in the new list of 100 most influential people.
10. Actor Aamir Khan and cricket icon Kapil Dev will receive the 75th Master Dinanath Mangeshkar Awards.
Amir Khan will be honoured with the Vishesh Puraskar for Best Film “Dangal”, while Dev for his outstanding contribution to Indian Cricket.
11. Gujarat Narmada Valley Fertilizers & Chemicals Ltd (GNFC) won the prestigious Golden Peacock Award.
The award recognizes the company’s contribution to innovative frameworks that will be the key for business success in the new millennium.
12. The 91-year-old gynaecologist, Bhakti Yadav was presented with the Padma Shri award at her residence as she was unable to attend the function organised in New Delhi.
The award aims to recognize her selfless service towards her patients, especially the ones from a poor background.
13. Actress Saiyami Kher, who made her Bollywood debut in Rakeysh Om Prakash Mehra’s film Mirzya, received the best debut award at the Dada Sahib Phalke Excellence Awards 2017.
14. US-based travel reviewer website TripAdvisor presented its 2017 World’s Best Destination Award to Indonesia’s resort island of Bali.
With this, Bali became the first Asian destination to earn the title.
Other World’s best Destination are- London (United Kingdom), Paris, (France), Rome (Italy), New York City (USA) and 20 others.
15. Palnar, a small village in Chhattisgarh’s Dantewada district grabbed an award from Prime Minister Narendra Modi for going 100 per cent cashless.
16. The Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (RGIA) at Shamshabad has been given the carbon neutrality status by Airports Council International (ACI) under its Airport Carbon Accreditation programme.
It was conferred with the carbon neutrality (level 3: neutrality) by the ACI at a ceremony held in Doha, Qatar.
Appointments & Resignations
1. B.N. Mohapatra has been appointed as the new Financial Commissioner (FC) (Railways) and ex-officio Secretary to the Government of India.
Prior to this posting, he was posted as Additional Member/ Finance.
2. Victoria Beckham was appointed the Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) for services to the fashion industry.
Prince William presented the honour to the pop singer turned fashion designer at the Buckingham Palace in London.
Victoria Caroline Beckham is an English businesswoman, fashion designer, model, and singer.
3. Ramanathan Ramanan was appointed as the Mission Director of the Atal Innovation Mission under the Niti Aayog.
He was appointed to the post for the period of two years.
Ramanan is presently working with Tata Consultancy Services.
Economics & Banking GK
1. According to a new World Bank report titled Globalization Backlash -India’s gross domestic product is expected to spike to 7.2% in the 2017-’18 financial year from 6.8% the previous fiscal.
The international agency forecast that India’s economic growth will rise gradually to 7.7% in 2019-2020.
2. Inflation based on the Wholesale price index (WPI) slipped to 5.70% in March.
The WPI inflation, reflecting the annual rate of price rise, in February was 6.55%.
3. Punjab National Bank (PNB) has launched three new products on the occasion of its 123rd Foundation Day.
These are: automated electronic toll collection to facilitate hassle-free toll payment/collection; credit card mobile app; and a scheme for financing grid connected roof solar power projects.
A mobile app to facilitate PNB staff to do their HR-related operations was also launched.
4. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) said that the sub-Committee of the Financial Stability and Development Council (FSDC) has decided to set up a Computer Emergency Response Team for the Financial Sector (CERT-Fin).
The sub-committee reviewed the major developments on the global and domestic fronts that impinge on the financial stability of the country.
5. International Monetary Fund has retained its India growth forecast for FY18 at 7.2 per cent and FY19 at 7.7 per cent, well ahead of its forecast for China.
The IMF has also predicted that the global economy would grow at 3.5% in 2017, up from 3.1 % last year, and 3.6% in 2018.
6. The Reserve Bank of India has opened a new ombudsman office in Jammu as part of its efforts to expand banking grievances complaint cells across the country.
Earlier, the banking services related complaints from entire Jammu & Kashmir used to fall under the jurisdiction of New Delhi-I banking ombudsman office.
7. State Bank of India (SBI) surpassed ONGC to become the country’s most valued state-owned firm in terms of market valuation.
At the end of trade, the market cap of SBI stood at Rs 2,35,307.51 crore.
This is about Rs 2,961.79 crore more than that of PSU energy major ONGC’s Rs 2,32,345.72 crore.
8. Nomura has launched its ‘Voyager -Nomura FinTech Partnership’ in India to encourage entrepreneurship in the financial market space.
9. Master card unveiled a payment card in South Africa featuring a biometric fingerprint scanner.
Instead of a card user enters a PIN number, the payment card features a small biometric area designed to verify the user’s fingerprint.
10. The Central Government has raised Rs. 1,200 crore by divesting 9.2% of paid-up capital in National Aluminum Company Ltd. (NALCO).
With this disinvestment, Government’s shareholding in NALCO has become 65.37%.
11. Reliance Industries has regained its status as India’s most valued firm by market capitalization, overtaking Tata Group’s crown jewel TCS.
Shares of RIL were trading 3.43 per cent higher at Rs 1,416.40 on BSE, giving the company a market capitalization of Rs 4,60,291.20 crore, the highest for any listed firm in the country.
Bills – New & Amendments
1. The Law Commission has recommended action against striking lawyers and allowing entry of foreign lawyers and law firms, among other changes, in the proposed Advocates (Amendment) Bill, 2017.
Bar Council of India has planned to submit a memorandum to the Union Law Minister to reject the Law Commissions suggestions to amend the Act.
2. The Union Cabinet has approved to introduce the Constitution 123rd Amendment Bill 2017 in the parliament.
The Bill provides for the appropriation of the sanctioned 52 posts of the existing National Commission for Backward Classes in the proposed National Commission for Backward Classes to be constituted under Article 338B.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)
1. A MoU was signed between the National Scheduled Castes Finance and Development Corporation (NSFDC) and the Development Commissioner (Handlooms) in New Delhi.
The objective of this MoU is to help Scheduled Caste weavers and their families by promoting the production and marketing of high value, quality handlooms products at Block Level Cluster in various States like Gujarat, Maharashtra, Rajasthan and Odisha.
2. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has signed MoU with the Royal Monetary Authority of Bhutan for information sharing.
The objective of such pacts is to promote greater co- operation and share supervisory information.
3. The Rajasthan government has signed a MoU with Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited to resume the big infra project.
The reworked agreement would bring down the state’s financial burden from Rs 56,000 crore to about Rs 16,000 crore, saving the exchequer about Rs 40,000 crore.
This agreement brings the state’s monetary support slightly down to Rs 3,738 crore.
4. The governments of India and South Korea signed a MoU to strengthen their bilateral cooperation in defence shipbuilding.
According to the MoU, the two countries under the broader term of a special strategic partnership will be nominating one shipyard each for the project.
5. Tata Power signed the Distribution Franchise Agreement (DFA) with Ajmer Vidyut Vitran Nigam Ltd (AVVNL).
The aim is to cater to power requirements of customers in Ajmer for a period of 20 years.
6. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has announced signing of an MoU with the Bank of Guyana on Supervisory Cooperation and Exchange of Supervisory Information.
RBI signed the MoU, Letter for Supervisory Co-operation and Statement of Co-operation with supervisors of a few countries to promote greater co-operation and share supervisory information.
Science & Technology
1. China’s first cargo spacecraft Tianzhou-1 was launched into space on 24th April 2017 to dock with the orbiting experimental space station.
The cargo spacecraft was transferred with a Long March-7 Y2 carrier rocket from the testing centre to the launch zone in Wenchang.
2. Naval Ship INS Chennai, a P15A Guided Missile Destroyer, was dedicated to Chennai in the presence of the chief minister of Tamil Nadu and the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Eastern Naval Command.
It is the largest-ever destroyer to be built in India.
3. The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is planning to enter into a joint venture with a conglomerate of industries to build launch vehicles.
The first launch of the vehicle is scheduled to take place between 2020 and 2021.
4. Tata Motors has unveiled India’s first conceptualized, designed and manufactured articulated industrial robot called BRABO stands for Bravo Robot.
The robot has been developed indigenously for micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) in India.
The robot is primarily developed to complement the human workforce and repeatedly perform high volume, dangerous and time-consuming tasks ranging from handling of raw materials to packaging of finished products.
5. ISRO is all set to undertake the first developmental flight of a ‘game-changer’ rocket GSLV-Mk III-D1 in May 2017.
It will have the capacity to launch four-tonne class of satellites.
6. NASA has captured a region of Mars sprayed with strange-shaped secondary craters.
The new images show the region of the red planet with secondary carters from 10-kilometer Zunil Crater to the north-west.
7. Astronomers have discovered yet another planet, called LHS1140b, which is expected to be present in the Goldilocks Zone.
It is found orbiting around the star LHS 1140 some 39 light-years away.
8. Indian Navy successfully undertook the firing of BrahMos Land Attack Supersonic Cruise Missile from a ship.
This variant of Long Range BrahMos Missile was fired from Indian Naval Ship Teg.
9. BrahMos Missile has been jointly developed by India and Russia, and its Anti-Ship variant has already been inducted into Indian Navy.
1. World Haemophilia Day is observed every year on 17th April to raise awareness about the disease and increase the availability of its treatment around the world.
The theme for 2017 is Lighting it up Red.
2. Every year on 18 April, International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS) celebrates the International Day for Monuments and Sites or World Heritage Day.
The theme for 2017 is Cultural Heritage & Sustainable Tourism.
3. Government of India has taken a decision to observe the 21st of April every year as Civil Services Day.
The purpose for this day is to rededicate and recommit civil servants to the cause of the people.
4. Earth Day is observed every year on 22nd April across the globe to diversify, educate and activate the environmental movement worldwide.
The theme for 2017 is Environmental & Climate Literacy.
It aims to empower everyone with the knowledge of climate change in order to inspire action towards environmental protection.
Recent Notable Deaths
1. Robert Taylor, a pioneer of Modern Computing and the Internet has passed away at the age of 85.
He was instrumental in creating the internet and the modern personal computer.
Taylor’s engineering team was also responsible for the development of Ethernet and a word processing program, Microsoft Word.
2. A top-ranking leader of the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist [CPI-Maoist], Narayan Sanyal has passed away in a south Kolkata hospital.
He was among the last links between the Charu Majumdar-led CPI(ML) – considered the father of leftwing insurgency in India.
3. Britain’s Olympic high jump silver medallist Germaine Mason died after a crash in Jamaica.
Mason was born in Jamaica but represented Britain in the 2008 summer Olympics in Beijing.
He won a silver medal in the high jump, with a personal best of 2.34 meters.
4. Senior journalist and columnist, Nora Chopra passed away following a period of illness.
She was actively engaged in her work till her premature demise.
Chopra was widely respected for being a passionate, spirited and combative journalist.
5. Senior National Conference (NC) leader and former speaker of Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly, Ali Mohammad Naik, passed away.
He had served as general secretary of Plebiscite Front under NC founder and former chief minister Sheikh Mohammad Abdullah.
Important Abbreviations Used in this Article
|RUSA||Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan|
|EWR||Elected Women Representatives|
|VIT||Vellore Institute of Technology|
|VVPAT||Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail|
|IMD||India Meteorological Department|
|RGIA||Rajiv Gandhi International Airport|
|PMGKY||Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana|
|NDMC||New Delhi Municipal Corporation|
|MGNREGA||Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act|
|PLA||People’s Liberation Army|
|UNPA||UN Postal Administration|
|ICC||International Cricket Council|
|OCA||Olympic Council of Asia|
|UNESCO||United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization|
|NALCO||National Aluminum Company Ltd.|
|NSFDC||National Scheduled Castes Finance and Development Corporation|
|AVVNL||Ajmer Vidyut Vitran Nigam Ltd|
|ISRO||Indian Space Research Organisation|
|GSLV||Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle|
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge. Share the article with your friends if you find it informative.
For more updates about General Awareness and Competitive Exams stay connected to our social media channels:
Image Courtesy: Google Images