Read current affairs online with GK Eduwrap. It covers the last week current affairs in a comprehensive manner ensuring you prepare confidently for the general awareness for bank exams.
National – Across the India
1. Sushma Swaraj announced the opening of 149 new Post Office “Passport Seva Kendras (POPSKs)”. It will be set up in the second phase.
In the first phase 86 POPSKs were to be set up 52 of which are now functional.
2. The iconic Taj Mahal Palace in Mumbai has just got itself trademarked and become the first in the country to get such a registration.
The hotel has joined the elite and small club of trademarked properties in the world which includes the Empire State Building in New York, the Eiffel Tower in Paris and Sydney Opera House.
3. Minister for Science & Technology Dr. Harshvardhan launched a Mobile App “Celebrating Yoga”.
The aim of the app is to popularize Yoga and encourage people to practice yoga for a scientifically healthy living.
4. India became the 71st country to sign the United Nations International Convention on Road Transports (TIR).
TIR will help India to integrate with Myanmar and Thailand as well as Bangladesh, Bhutan, and Nepal.
5. Union Minister Piyush Goyal has launched the Energy Conservation Building Code 2017 (ECBC 2017) that prescribes the energy performance standards for new commercial buildings to be constructed across India.
6. Bihar Governor Ramnath Kovind will be NDA’s presidential candidate for the upcoming Presidential election.
The presidential election is scheduled to be held on 17 July 2017.
7. Telangana Government launched the ‘Hyderabad City Wi-Fi’ project, providing the wireless Networking Technology at over 1,000 public places in the city.
The network has now been installed at 1,000 hotspots with an assured bandwidth of 5-10 Mbps offering 30 minutes of free wi-fi.
8. Indore has installed India’s first 14-foot-tall robot to control traffic.
It’s equipped with a public-address system and can take photos of traffic violators to generate e-challans when connected to police control room.
9. Bengaluru’s Mypetrolpump has become country’s first firm to deliver diesel at the doorsteps, reported the Times of India.
10. According to Mercer’s 23rd annual Cost of Living Survey, Mumbai is the most expensive city for expatriates in India and is ranked higher than major global cities such as Paris, Canberra, Seattle and Vienna.
Mumbai is placed 57th on the list while New Delhi was placed at 99th position.
11. The Indian Railways like Rajdhani and Shatabdi Express, to launch Operation Swarn (‘gold’).
Under the initiative, Indian Railways will work towards improving 10 aspects, namely, punctuality, cleanliness, linen, coach interiors, toilets, catering, staff behavior, security, entertainment, housekeeping and regular feedback.
12. Union Minister M. Venkaiah Naidu has announced a new batch of 30 smart cities under Smart City Mission, which was launched on 25th June 2015.
Out of the 30 cities, 26 had proposed affordable housing projects, 26 had proposed new schools and hospitals and 29 had proposed redesign and development of roads.
13. The Swachh Bharat Mission Gramin (SBM-G), rural Uttarakhand and rural Haryana declared as the 4th and 5th Open Defecation Free (ODF) the States of India.
14. Union Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu has launched India’s largest municipal bond programme.
The Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) became the first municipal corporation in the country to tap money through municipal bonds in 14 years.
15. The State Government of Odisha approved 53 urban projects with a total investment of Rs 538 crore under the Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) to provide basic services is water supply, sewerage, urban transport to households and build amenities in cities which will improve the quality of life.
16. Department of Science and Technology has launched VAJRA (Visiting Advanced Joint Research) Faculty scheme.
The scheme enables NRIs and overseas scientific community to participate and contributes to research and development in India.
17. Urban development minister M. Venkaiah Naidu launched its first Liveability Index which will rank the country’s 116 major cities on the basis of the quality of life.
18. Maharashtra Government will launch My Plant app to create a database on tree plantation.
19. Union Minister Piyush Goyal has launched Weather Portal for Power Sector & Web Portal ‘MERIT’ (Merit Order Despatch of Electricity for Rejuvenation of Income and Transparency).
POSOCO-IMD Weather Portal The weather portal has been developed in association with POSOCO and IMD.
20. NITI-Aayog has chosen CSIR-Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB) in Hyderabad for hosting the Rs. 10-crore Atal Incubation Centre for biotechnology start-ups.
21. External Affairs minister Sushma Swaraj announced that the passport application fee for applicants under the age of eight and over the age of 60 had been reduced by 10 percent.
She also informed that from now onwards, all new passports issued will be in Hindi and in English both.
International – Across the Globe
1. The Third United Nations (UN) International Day of Yoga held in China where thousands of Chinese would participate in scores of events organized across the country.
As per the official report, it was the second biggest yoga day celebration in the world after India.
2. The Australian Government announced that Indian Nationals can apply for a visitor visa online starting from 1st July 2017.
It will offer benefits like 24/7 accessibility, electronic payment of the visa application charge and the ability to check the status of applications lodged online, all through the department’s ImmiAccount portal.
3. According to United Nation, a record 65.6 million people worldwide were forcibly displaced from their homes owing to conflict or persecution by the end of 2016.
Turkey hosted the largest number of refugees worldwide, with 2.9 million people followed by Pakistan (1.4 million), Lebanon (1 million), Iran (979,400), Uganda (940,800), and Ethiopia (791,600).
4. The Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO) BIO 2017 is held in the San Diego Convention Centre, San Diego from 19th June to 22nd June 2017.
It was hosted by the Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO).
5. China has unveiled world’s first train that runs on a virtual track making use of sensor technology instead of metal rails.
The train can reach a top speed of 70 kmph and can travel a distance of 25 km by just charging for 10 minutes.
6. India and Russia have identified key areas to cooperate in the Science and Technology sector, including Space and Marine Technologies, IT and deep ocean engineering.
It is Inspired by India’s ‘Make in India’ initiative and Moscow has launched a “Do It in Russia” initiative to promote local manufacturing and technology development.
7. According to United Nations Report, India to become world’s most populous country by 2024 while Nigeria will overtake US in third spot.
8. India and Russia agreed to sign a roadmap for the development of bilateral defense cooperation to enhance cooperation in the field of political and military dialogue, exercises, exchange of visits, military cooperation and training of military personnel.
Sports & Athletics
1. Pakistan defeated India by 180 runs to win the International Cricket Council (ICC) Champions Trophy 2017 final.
Pakistan won by 180 runs to take their first global 50-over title since 1992.
Fakhar Zaman was declared Man of the Match.
Hassan Ali was declared Man of the Tournament.
2. International Cricket Council has decided not to host the 2018 World T20 Championship due to a cramped schedule and lack of sponsors’ interest.
India will host the next ICC Champions Trophy in 2021.
3. India’s Kidambi Srikanth won the Indonesia Open Super Series badminton title at Jakarta.
He defeated Japan Kazumasa Sakai.
4. Sarfraz Ahmed of Pakistan named Captain of ICC Team of Champions Trophy.
Virat Kohli along with three Indians were named in the ICC Team of the Champions Trophy 2017.
India opener Shikhar Dhawan and Pakistan’s Hassan Ali had already won the Golden Bat and Gold Ball trophies for finishing as the most successful batsman and bowler respectively.
Bhuvneshwar Kumar also secured a position in the list.
5. India won six medals in the Wushu competition of the first ever Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa (BRICS) Games concluded in Guangzhou, China.
The medals comprised two each in gold, silver, and bronze.
Gyandas and Anjul Namdev won one gold each.
6. The Iranian wrestlers won 7 medals (three gold, two Silver, and two bronze) and 69 points to win the Junior Asian Championships title.
Uzbekistan won 67 points to rank second in the Wrestlers list.
India won gold in the women’s 51kg freestyle category through Puja.
7. Anil Kumble has stepped down as head coach of India’s men’s team from the upcoming series against West Indies.
8. New Zealand wicketkeeper Luke Ronchi announced his retirement from international cricket after taking part in the ICC Champions Trophy 2017.
9. Ireland and Afghanistan have been granted Test status by the International Cricket Council.
It increases the number of countries competing at the top level of international cricket to 12.
10. Former Indian powerlifter and South Asian Games gold medal winner, Kavita Devi becomes the first Indian woman to appear in WWE.
She has been selected to compete in the Mae Young Classic which is the first-ever WWE tournament for women.
11. Kuldeep Yadav became the first male Chinaman bowler to represent India in ODIs, making his debut in the first ODI against West Indies.
Yadav, who made his Test debut against Australia in March this year, is the 217th ODI cricketer to represent India.
Awards & Recognition
1. R. Madhavan and Ritika Singh’s Irudhi Suttru, the Tamil version of Hindi film Saala Khadoss, has walked away with three honours at 64th Jio Filmfare South Awards. The name of few of the winners are listed below.
Best Film SR Prabhu Joker.
Best Director: Sudha K Prasad for Irudhi Suttru.
Best Supporting Actor (Male): Samuthirakani Visaaranai.
Best Supporting Actor (Female): Sai Dhanshika Kabali.
2. Ferrari’s 3.9-litre V8 from the 488 GTB has won the 2017 International Engine of the Year award for the second consecutive year.
3. Indian agricultural microbiologist Shrihari Chandraghatgi conferred the Ministry of Environment Award for 2017 in Japan.
4. Anti-hunger activist Ankit Kawatra, who has been committed to solving hunger and malnutrition in India, is all set to receive the prestigious Queen’s Young Leaders Award with 60 others from all 53 Commonwealth countries.
He will be honoured by Queen Elizabeth II at a ceremony to be held in the Buckingham Palace on 29th June.
5. Angolan writer Jose Eduardo Agualusa has been awarded International Dublin Literary Award for his 14th novel, A General Theory of Oblivion, translated into English by Daniel Hahn.
6. Two Konkani literary personalities – Vincy Quadros and Amey Naik from Goa have been chosen for awards by the country’s highest literary body – the Sahitya Akademi.
Vincy Quadros is awarded Sahitya Akademi’s Bal Sahitya Puraskar for his book ‘Jaduche Petul’ for children in Konkani.
Amey Naik has been selected for Yuva Puraskar 2017 for his Konkani poetry collection ‘Mog Dot Com’.
7. West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee received the highest prize in United Nations Public Service Award for the State Government’s Kanyashree Prakalpa (Girl Child) scheme in The Hague, Netherlands.
West Bengal has been awarded in the Asia-Pacific group for the category is ‘Reaching the Poorest and Most Vulnerable through Inclusive Services and Participation’.
8. Nisha Dutt, CEO of Intellecap has become the first Indian woman leader to have been honoured with the Social Entrepreneur of the Year award at the 7th Asian Awards in London.
Nisha Dutt has been honoured in recognition of her work in making Intellecap a globally known enterprise that focuses on social capital.
9. Azim Premji honoured with Carnegie Medal of Philanthropy for his efforts to reform India’s public-school system.
He was among the nine philanthropists named recipients of the 2017 Carnegie Medal of Philanthropy in recognition of their outstanding and innovative leadership in philanthropy.
Mergers & Acquisitions
1. Messaging app Hike partnered with YES Bank to allow its users to transfer money, recharge and pay mobile bills through the messaging platform.
Hike improved the user interface as well as added new features to the camera on the app.
It will allow free and instant bank-to-bank transfer via unified payments interface (UPI).
2. IDBI Federal Life Insurance has partnered with SunTec Company.
Under the agreement, for the debit tax mandate SunTec will help in analyzing data from various sources for computation and invoicing purposes.
3. Axis Bank in association with Kochi Metro Rail Corporation (KMRL) has launched KMRL Axis Bank ‘Kochi1’ Card.
It becomes India’s first open loop EMV contactless metro card that would make travel a convenient and hassle -free experience for commuters in Kochi.
Appointments & Resignations
1. The government has appointed Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan to promote Goods and Services Tax (GST) which is scheduled to implement from 1st July 2017.
The Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) will be making Bachchan the brand ambassador for GST.
2. Bihar Governor Ram Nath Kovind has resigned from the gubernatorial post.
The resignation follows his nomination as the National Democratic Alliance’s presidential candidate.
3. UNICEF appointed Muzoon Almellehan as Goodwill Ambassador for Refugees.
She is the first person with an official refugee status to become an Ambassador for the United Nations agency.
4. Saudi Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman has been appointed as the Crown Prince.
He replaced Mohammed bin Nayef.
5. Rajiv Gauba, currently Union Urban Development Secretary, will be the next Home Secretary.
The 1982-cadre IAS officer will succeed Rajiv Mehrishi, whose tenure ends on 30th August 2017.
6. Manappuram Finance announced the appointment of Jeevandas Narayan as the Managing Director.
Subhash Samant as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of its fully-owned home loans subsidiary, Manappuram Home Finance.
7. Indian-origin doctor Kailash Chand in the UK has been appointed as honorary vice-president of the country’s prominent medical body.
He has been associated with the British Medical Association (BMA), for nearly 25 years.
8. Ayurveda physician ‘Vaidya’ Rajesh Kotecha appointed as special secretary in Ayush Ministry.
Vaidya (meaning physician) Kotecha is the chief consultant of Chakrapani Ayurveda Clinic, Jaipur.
9. Kenneth I. Juster is set to become America’s new Ambassador to India.
He is the Deputy Assistant to the United States President for International Economic Affairs and Deputy Director of his National Economic Council.
10. Russian diplomat Vladimir Voronkov was appointed as United Nations first counter-terrorism chief.
Voronkov will hold the title of under-secretary-general.
11. Subhash C. Garg has been appointed as Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs, Finance Ministry.
He will take over from Rajiv Maharishi on 30th August 2017. Until then Rajiv Gauba will serve as Officer on Special Duty in the Home Ministry.
12. Travis Kalanick, the Chief Executive Officer of Uber announced his resignation from the post.
Kalanick reportedly took the hard decision after a group of major Uber investors demanded his immediate resignation.
13. Imran Khawaja appointed as International Cricket Council (ICC) as Deputy Chairman.
He is a senior lawyer and serving in the ICC Board for several years.
14. ICHR’s member secretary Anand Shanker Singh resigned from the post citing personal reasons.
He was vice-president of the Uttar Pradesh chapter of RSS-backed Akhila Bharatiya Itihasa Sankalana Yojana (ABISY) and principal of Iswar Saran Degree College in Allahabad.
Economics & Banking GK
1. The Reserve Bank of India has initiated “prompt corrective action” (PCA) on state-run lender Bank of Maharashtra in the view of its high non-performing assets (NPAs).
Earlier, the RBI had initiated a PCA on Central Bank of India, IDBI Bank, Indian Overseas Bank, UCO Bank and Dena Bank.
2. The GST Council at its 17th meeting decided to increase the room tariff threshold, above which the luxury rate of 28% will apply, to Rs. 7,500 from the Rs. 5,000 decided earlier.
The Council also decided to defer the dates of filing the detailed return for July and August.
The Council decided that State-run lotteries will fall in the 12% tax bracket, while all others will be taxed at 28%.
3. RBI has directed its lead lender IDBI Bank to initiate insolvency proceedings for the company under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC).
The company is among 12 firms identified by the central bank with a combined debt of over Rs 1,50,000 crore, a quarter of the total NPAs, for proceedings under the newly enacted Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016.
4. Electronic payment and e-commerce portal, Paytm, will soon launch its payments bank on the unified payment interface to enable an easier transaction process for its customers and is reported to happen by August this year.
5. SEBI got acquisition of stressed assets of listed companies to help the Government and RBI in their efforts to tackle bad loans.
6. The government has permitted banks and post offices to deposit junked Rs. 500 and Rs 1,000 notes with the Reserve Bank by 20th July 2017.
7. State Bank of India has been authorized to refer Essar Steel Bhushan Steel and Electrosteel to the bankruptcy court raising the possibility that some of these companies could be merged to return them to health.
The three companies between them owe banks nearly Rs 1 lakh crore.
8. The Reserve Bank of India announced the names of five members of the Overseeing Committee (OC). The five members are:
Former Chief Vigilance Commissioner Pradeep Kumar who will be the Chairman.
Former State Bank of India Chairman Janki Ballabh.
Former chairman of Canara Bank MBN Rao.
Non-executive chairman of L&T Finance Holdings YM Deosthalee.
Former SEBI whole-time member S Raman.
9. Reserve Bank of India has extended the scope of Banking Ombudsman Scheme.
As per the amendment, the pecuniary jurisdiction of the Banking Ombudsman to pass an award is doubled to 20 lakh rupees.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)
1. US based Lockheed Martin and India’s Tata Advanced Systems have signed a pact to produce F-16 fighter planes in India.
Lockheed Martin’s move to forge a joint venture with Tata is aimed at winning billions of dollars’ worth order from the Indian military.
2. Meghalaya government signed two MoUs with the State Bank of India as a part of an initiative towards migrating government transactions to digital mode.
3. The Government of India and Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed USD 275 million loans for a piped water supply project for rapidly urbanizing small towns.
It will cover 3 lakh households in 64 small towns in Madhya Pradesh.
4. India and Portugal signed a protocol of cooperation in the field of archives.
As a part of the Cooperation, National Archives of Portugal has handed over digital copies of 62 volumes of the collection known as ‘Moncoes do Reino’ (Monsoon correspondence) to the National Archives of India.
5. Reliance Defence Ammunition has entered into a strategic partnership with Serbia’s state-run Yugoimport to manufacture ammunition in India.
It will target business opportunities worth Rs. 20,000 crores from Indian armed forces in the next 10 years.
6. The Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) will sign a pact with the Housing and Urban Development Corporation (HUDCO).
Science & Technology
1. NASA’s James Webb space telescope will find signs of life in exoplanets of the TRAPPIST-1 system and on Saturn’s moon Enceladus.
These specific observations are part of a program of Guaranteed Time Observations (GTO), which provides dedicated time to the scientists that helped design and build the telescope’s four instruments.
2. China is planning to send mini-ecosystems comprising of potato seeds and silkworm eggs to the Moon by next year to prepare for future moon landings and possible human inhabitants.
3. ISRO working on a new propulsion system known as the Electric Propulsion (EP) system that is set to usher for cost effective satellite launches.
The EP system converts solar energy into electrical energy which in turn is used to change the velocity of a satellite in space.
4. ISRO’s Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) completes 1000 earth days in orbit.
The MOM has at present completed 388 orbits of Mars and has sent 715 images back to earth.
India plans to send Mangalyaan 2.0 and a new mission to Venus after 2020.
5. Larsen & Toubro has launched the first indigenously built Floating Dock (FDN-2) to repair Indian Navy ships at its Shipyard at Kattupalli, north of Chennai.
It is 185 meters long and 40 meters wide and is designed for docking Indian Navy ships and submarines of up to 8,000 tons of displacement.
6. NASA is testing the effectiveness of a flexible solar array, the Roll-Out Solar Array (ROSA) on space station for the very first time.
ROSA is an advanced, flexible solar array that rolls out like a tape measure.
7. The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is all set to launch an Earth-Observation Satellite, named Cartosat-2E.
Cartosat-2 series weighing 712 kg and 30 nano-satellites using Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV).
8. ISRO PSLV-38 blasted off from the spaceport carrying the Cartosat-2 series satellite a dedicated satellite for the defense forces along with 30 co-passenger satellites.
9. The United States has cleared the sale of the state-of-the-art Guardian 22 unmanned Guardian drones to India.
The deal to sell UAV drones to India is estimated to be worth $2 to $3 billion.
10. NASA has launched world’s lightest satellite KalamSat weighing only 64 grams designed by 18-year-old boy Rifath Sharook from Tamil Nadu.
The tiny satellite has been named as KalamSat after the former President APJ Abdul Kalam.
11. Thirty Metre Telescope (TMT) is the world’s biggest telescope which would facilitate astronomers to observe the intricacies of the universe from earth.
It is a multi- million -dollar project being developed by an international consortium of five countries including India.
The other four countries are Canada, China, Japan and the U.S.
1. The International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict is observed on 19th June across the world to raise awareness of the need to put an end to conflict-related sexual violence.
The theme for the year 2017 is Preventing Sexual Violence Crimes through Justice and Deterrence.
2. The World Refugee Day (WRD) is observed on 20th June across the world to commemorates the strength, courage, and perseverance of millions of refugees.
3. The International Day of Yoga is celebrated on 21st June across the world.
The theme for 2017 is Yoga for Health.
The theme highlights that yoga can contribute in a holistic way to achieving an equilibrium between mind and body.
4. The United Nations Public Service Day is celebrated on 23rd June of every year.
The prestigious UN Public Service Awards are given away on this day.
5. International Olympic Day is celebrated on 23rd June of every year.
It is a day for the world to get active, learn about Olympic values and discover new sports.
Recent Notable Deaths
1. The father of India’s nuclear fusion reactor research programme, Padma Shri Prof Predhiman Krishan Kaw has died.
He was the founder director of Institute for Plasma Research (IPR), Gandhinagar.
He was named the 2015 laureate of the Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar Prize for “outstanding contributions” in the field of plasma physics.
Important Abbreviations Used in this Article
|NDA||National Democratic Alliance|
|ICC||International Cricket Council|
|BCCI||Board of Control for Cricket in India|
|WWE||World Wrestling Entertainment|
|ODI||One Day International|
|SEBI||Securities and Exchange Board of India|
|CBEC||Central Board of Excise and Customs|
|UNICEF||United Nations Children’s Fund|
|NASA||National Aeronautics and Space Administration|
|ISRO||Indian Space Research Organization|
|PSLV||Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle|
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge. Share the article with your friends if you find it informative.
For more updates about General Awareness and Competitive Exams stay connected to our social media channels:
Image Courtesy: Google Images