Read current affairs online with GK Eduwrap. It covers the last week current affairs in a comprehensive manner ensuring you prepare confidently for the general awareness for bank exams.
National – Across the India
1. The India Post released a Commemorative Postage Stamp on Coffee as a Fragrance Stamp in Bengaluru.
The stamps, which are being printed at the India Security Press, will be priced at Rs. 100.
2. The Minister of External Affairs, Sushma Swaraj has made a provision enabling people to apply for passports in Hindi.
The panel has suggested that bilingual forms should be made available by all passport offices and forms filled in Hindi should be accepted.
3. Prime Minister Narendra Modi chaired NITI Aayog’s Governing Council Meet which deliberated 15-year development road map called ‘Vision 2030’ to accelerate the country’s economic development.
This roadmap will achieve social goals such as poverty reduction, and improving health and sanitation.
4. Northeast’s sixth and largest hub for information technology has been inaugurated in Agartala.
The hub has been set up at a cost of Rs 50 crore to boost employment and e-governance besides export of software technology.
5. The Indian Railways is going to set up a solar power plant in Bhilai (Chhattisgarh), through Railway Energy Management Company Limited (REMCL).
The project cost of the 50 MW plant is estimated at Rs 200 crore.
Of the total cost, 20 per cent will be borne by the Railways, while the remaining 80 per cent will be raised through debt.
6. The Indian Railways will be launching a special rail service, Utkrisht Double-Decker AC Yatri (Uday) Express in July 2017.
The train would run only on high-demand routes like Delhi- Lucknow and its fare would be lower than that of the 3AC class in regular express trains.
The aim of the double-decker service is to provide better amenities to passengers in a lesser fare.
7. India’s first and longest ropeway to connect Mumbai with the famous Elephanta Island in the Arabian Sea is planned to be constructed by the Mumbai Port Trust.
The 8-km ropeway will begin from Sewri in Mumbai’s east coast and end at Raigad district’s Elephanta Island.
8. The National Conference on Agriculture for Kharif Campaign – 2017 was organized on 25th and 26th April 2017 at New Delhi.
The Conference was inaugurated by Radha Mohan Singh, Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare.
9. The All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) is India’s First public hospital to start plaque brachytherapy facility for the treatment of eye tumors.
The facility is a form of local radiation delivered to the eye through a radioactive device which is attached to the eye for a temporary period of time.
10. M. Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the 47th Foundation Day of Housing and Urban Development Corporation Ltd. (HUDCO).
He urged the organization to realize the vision of “Housing for All” – “Sabka Sapna, Ghar ho Apna”.
11. The government has announced the names of ten new Iconic places under the Phase II of Swachh Iconic Places initiative. The ten new iconic places are:
Mahakaleshwar Temple (Ujjain).
Char Minar (Hyderabad).
Church and Convent of St. Francis of Assissi (Goa).
Adi Shankaracharya’s abode Kaladi in Ernakulam.
Gomateshwar in Shravanbelgola.
Baijnath Dham (Devghar).
Gaya Tirth (Bihar).
Somnath temple in Gujarat.
12. The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has flagged off the First UDAN flight under RCS on Shimla-Delhi sector.
He also flagged off the inaugural UDAN flights on Kadapa – Hyderabad and Nanded-Hyderabad sectors.
13. The West Bengal government has decided to drop the tag Pradhan Mantri from Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojna and rename it as Bangla Fasal Bima Yojna.
The reason behind the decision was that the Centre’s share in such schemes had come down to 50:50 which was earlier either 90 percent or 75 percent.
As per the norm, the farmer had to pay one-third of it while the remaining two-thirds was borne by the Centre and the state government.
14. The Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) plans to build a new oil terminal at Motihari in Bihar to supply fuel to Nepal through the planned pipeline up to Amlekganj in Nepal.
The old terminal at Raxaul, Bihar will be closed.
The Indian and Nepalese governments MoU for a product pipeline.
15. The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) emerged as the clear winner in the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) elections with 184 seats.
The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) came second with just 46 seats in all the three Delhi municipal corporations.
The Congress has won 30 seats and others got 10 seats.
16. Union Minister M Venkaiah Naidu launched Micro and Small Enterprises Facilitation Council (MSEFC) portal and MyMSME Mobile App.
Both the portals were launched as a part of Digital India Initiative from the perspective of the MSME sector in the country.
With the access to this platform, micro and small enterprises would be able to file their delayed payment related grievances online.
17. The Central Government has sanctioned construction of over one lakh more houses for the urban poor with an investment of Rs 4,200 crore under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana(PMAY).
The government has now approved construction of over 18.75 lakh houses for Economically Weaker Sections in 2,151 cities and towns across the country.
18. CMS India Corruption Study 2017 named Karnataka as the most corrupt state in the country.
According to the survey, 77% of respondents in Karnataka said they experienced corruption in accessing public services.
This is followed by Andhra Pradesh (74%), Tamil Nadu (68%), Maharashtra (57%), Jammu and Kashmir (44%) and Punjab (42%).
19. The trial run of the first electric taxi in the country will start from 24th May in Nagpur as a part of government’s plan to reduce pollution.
Nagpur Municipal Corporation will undertake the project.
Mahindra and Mahindra is set to provide 200 taxis for the initiative.
20. Union Health Minister JP Nadda has launched the Test and Treat policy for Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV).
As per this new policy, anyone who is tested and found positive will get the necessary treatment free of cost and will be provided with ART (Anti- Retroviral Therapy) irrespective of his CD count.
21. India’s first smart and green Highway, Eastern Peripheral Expressway will be ready by August this year.
It has been built at a cost of Rs.11000 crore.
At least 2.5 lakh trees will be on the both sides of the roads with solar panels.
22. Bhilar, a tiny hamlet in Satara district of Maharashtra is all set to become India’s first ‘book village’ from 4th May.
The concept of book village is inspired by Britain’s Hay-on-Wye, which is a Welsh town located in the United Kingdom, famous for its bookstores and literature festivals.
Under this initiative, tourists and locals can come and read books, magazines, newspapers stacked at 25 artistically decorated locations around the village.
International – Across the Globe
1. India has become world’s second largest LPG importer, a position that was previously occupied by Japan. China remains as the world’s top importer.
The main reason behind the increase in the consumption of LPG in India is due to the two government schemes coupled with free gas connections.
2. A freight train connecting Russia with China has arrived in Ganzhou which carries goods from Moscow is expected to boost local development.
The freight train travelled more than 7,000 km, before reaching Ganzhou in eastern China.
3. The Indian Navy has organized a joint maritime exercise Varuna with the French Navy at the Mediterranean Sea to further deepen combat coordination between the two navies.
Guided missile destroyer INS Mumbai, stealth frigate INS Trishul and fleet tanker INS Aditya took part in the exercise.
4. According to Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (Sipri), India has become world’s fifth-largest military spender spending at $55.9 billion in 2016.
The US remains the world’s largest military followed by China, Russia, and Saudi Arabia.
The other prominent spenders in the top 15 include Japan, South Korea, and Australia.
5. The International conference on Dara Shikoh: Reclaiming Spiritual Legacy of India was held on 27th & 28th April 2017.
The conference was organised by the Indian Council of Cultural Relations (ICCR).
6. The International Road federation (IRF) has named India to be the host of the 18th World Road Meeting (WRM 2017).
WRM 2017 will be held on November 13, 2017.
The theme of this year’s WRM is ‘Safe Roads and Smart Mobility: The Engines of Economic Growth’.
7. Belgium has become the first country to open an honorary consulate office in Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT City).
Hari Sankaran was nominated as Honorary Consul of the Kingdom of Belgium to the state of Gujarat.
8. US President Donald Trump has introduced biggest tax reform plan in the history of United States.
The income tax rates have been slashed from 39.6% to 35%.
The new plan proposes for a 15% corporate tax rate which is a sharp drop from the existing 35%.
9. India slipped three places in the 2017 World Press Freedom Rankings to 136th among 180 countries.
Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark took the first four positions in the rankings respectively.
North Korea was at the bottom of the index.
10. El Salvador is the first country to ban metals mining.
The law bans prospection exploration, exploitation, extraction or processing of metallic minerals in El Salvador.
11. UNESCO will screen Rahul V. Chittella’s short film Azaad as a part of World Press Freedom Day event that is scheduled to be held from 1st-4th May 2017 in Jakarta, Indonesia.
The movie is about the dysfunctional relationship between a father and his son.
12. Poland has assured its support for India’s bid for membership in the elite Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) and a permanent seat in the expanded UN Security Council.
The two countries also signed an agreement in the agriculture sector.
13. The US Trade Representative’s (USTR) office has once again placed India on the ‘priority watch’ list in this year’s Special 301 report.
India has been placed in ‘priority watch’ list owing to USTR’s view that India has not made adequate changes in its intellectual property (IP) laws and regulations.
Sports & Athletics
1. Washington Sundar, a 17 years and 199 days old Rising Pune Supergiant spinner has become the third youngest cricketer to play in IPL.
Sundar was picked by the franchise as a replacement for injured Ravichandran Ashwin.
Royal Challengers Bangalore’s Sarfaraz Khan, who played his first IPL match aged 17 years and 177 days, was the youngest to play in the league.
2. The game of cricket has been removed from the programme list of the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta and Palembang.
vApart from cricket, skateboarding, sambo and surfing are among the other sports which have been removed from the programme in order to reduce the burden on Indonesian organizer’s.
The total number of events has now reduced from 493 to 431.
3. Rafael Nadal has won the Monte Carlo Masters for the 10th time by beating Albert Ramos-Vinolas 6-1, 6-3 in the final.
In the doubles final, Rohan Bopanna and Pablo Cuevas beat seventh seeds and reigning Roland Garros champions Feliciano Lopez and Marc Lopez 6-3, 3-6, 10-4 to win the title.
Nadal’s 70th career title was his first of the season.
4. Haryana emerged champion beating Kerala at the National Youth Athletics Meet held at the GMC Balayogi Athletics Stadium, Gachibowli, from April 21st to 23rd April 2017.
Kerala was at the top place for the last five years. Haryana emerged champions with 166.5 points.
Rohit Yadav in javelin throw has a set a new meet record.
5. Indian sprinter Man Kaur clinched gold medal in the 100 metres sprint at the World Masters Games held in Auckland, New Zealand by completing the event in 1 minute and 14 seconds.
She has also become the oldest person to skywalk around Auckland’s famous landmark Sky Tower by stepping out 192 metres above Auckland city.
6. Sandhya Agarwal, Former captain of the Indian Women’s Test team was honoured life membership by Marylebone Cricket Club.
She has played 13 Tests and 21 ODIs from the year 1984 to 1995.
Presently, she is the chairperson of girl’s U – 19 and senior women’s team of MPCA.
7. Indian shot putter Manpreet Kaur has clinched a gold in the first leg of the Asian Grand Prix Athletics Meet in Jinhua, China.
Manpreet came up with the best throw of 18.86 meter and broke her earlier record of 17.96 metres.
With the performance, Manpreet also qualified for the IAAF World Championships to be held in August 2017 in London.
8. India finished with a rich haul of three gold, two silver and 11 bronze medals at the US Open Karate Championship held in Las Vegas.
Shaifali Agarwal, Abhishek Sengupta won a gold medal, a silver in two different individual events. India also won a gold medal in the team event.
The Indian team was led by Sensei Yashpal Singh Kalsi and Members of the Indian contingent.
9. Sujal Kahar, a 12-year-old football enthusiast and goal-keeper from Mumbai, has been shortlisted to represent India at the global Football For Friendship (F4F) social programme.
He will join young footballers from around the world in St. Petersburg, Russia in July 2017.
10. The Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) will conduct Oorja’ – CAPFs Under-19 Football Talent Hunt Tournament – 2017 throughout the country from 1st-15th May 2017.
The tournament will be conducted in Maharashtra, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Goa and the Union Territories of Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu.
11. Kerala has conducted the country’s first-ever transgender one-day athletic meet in Thiruvananthapuram.
The event saw the participation of 132 participants belonging to 12 districts of the state.
The event was jointly organized by Kerala Sports Council and Sexual Gender Minority Federation of Kerala.
12. Internationally renowned sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik from Odisha won the jury prize gold medal at the 10th Moscow Sand Art Championship.
The competition was held between 22nd and 28th April at Kolomenskoye, Moscow in Russia.
The theme for the competition was The world around us.
Awards & Recognition
1. Veteran actress- politician Hema Malini along with Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, filmmaker Shoojit Sircar and Zeenat Aman bagged the Dadasaheb Phalke Excellence Awards 2017.
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan won the award for the film Sarabjit.
Hema Malini won the Award in the category of Kala Shree.
Veteran Zeenat Aman received the Lifetime Achievement Award.
Shoojit Sircar bagged Creative Director Award for Pink.
Rohit Roy bagged the Best Negative Role in Film for Kaabil.
2. Nobel Prize Winner Kailash Satyarthi was awarded the Famous P C Chandra Award.
He was honored with the award for his Global Crusade against Child Slavery and Exploitative on Child Labour.
He received a trophy and a cheque of Rs 10 Lakhs at an Awards Ceremony in Kolkata, India.
3. Bollywood film Newton has won the best film honor at the Hong Kong International Film Festival. The lead actor of the film is Raj Kumar Rao. The main list of HKFA winners is as follows:
|Best Director||Frank Hui, Jevons Au and Vicky Wong (Trivisa)|
|Best Screenplay||Loong Man Hong, Thomas Ng and Mak Tin Shu (Trivisa)|
|Best Actor:||Gordon Lam (Trivisa)|
|Best Actress:||Kara Wai (Happiness)|
|Lifetime Achievement||Fong Yim-fun|
|Professional Achievement:||Yuen Tai-yung.|
4. Social activist Prafulla Samantra was announced one among six winners of the Goldman Environmental Prize.
He was awarded for his “historic 12-year legal battle that affirmed the indigenous Dongria Kondh’s land rights and protected the Niyamgiri Hills from a massive, open-pit aluminum ore mine.”
The other five winners for this year are: Mark Lopez (United States); Uroš Macerl (Slovenia); Rodrigo Tot (Guatemala); Rodrigue Katembo (Democratic Republic of Congo); and Wendy Bowman (Australia).
5. Astronaut Peggy Whitson broke the record for most cumulative days spent in space by an American astronaut.
She has surpassed Jeff Williams’ record of 534 days.
6. Renowned Director and actor Kasinathuni Viswanath has won the Dadasaheb Phalke award 2016 for his outstanding contribution to the film industry.
He will be the 48th recipient of the award, which consists of a golden lotus, a cash prize of Rs10 lakh and a shawl.
7. Vani Jairam, the versatile playback singer in the South Indian film industry, was presented with the Ghantasala National Award at a function held in Andhra Pradesh.
The award is instituted by the Ghantasala National Art Academy in Andhra Pradesh.
8. GMR Hyderabad International Airport Ltd. (GHIAL), has won the coveted Golden Peacock Business Excellence Award (GPBEA) 2017 in the large-scale industry-Transportation-Aviation category.
YES BANK Limited has been awarded the Golden Peacock Innovative Product/Service Award 2017.
Golden Peacock National Training Award was given to State Bank of India, Life Insurance Corporation of India and Bangalore International Airport Limited.
9. GNFC has won the prestigious Golden Globe Tigers Award for Excellence and Leadership in CSR for the year 2017 in the category of ‘E-Payment Leadership’.
GNFC has been awarded for the implementation of digital transactions in its township at Bharuch (Gujarat).
10. President Pranab Mukherjee was bestowed with a D Litt degree by the Goa University during the 29th annual convocation of the University at Dr. Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Stadium.
Goa Governor Mridula Sinha, who is also the university’s chancellor, awarded the degree to Mukherjee.
11. India’s youngest ever chancellor Dileep K Nair, has received Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar International Foundation Kerala State award for the year 2016-17.
He was awarded for his excellent performance in the field of education.
12. Microsoft Co-founder Bill Gates has praised PM Narendra Modi for the Swachh Bharat Mission.
He mentioned the mission’s aim of building 75 million toilets across India, and at present 30% of India’s villages are now open defecation free.
13. Srishti Kaur from India was crowned Miss Teen Universe 2017, beating 25 other contestants from around the world in the annual beauty pageant.
Samantha Pierre from Canada and Ary Trava from Mexico were the runners-up in the event held at the Ruben Dario National Theatre in Nicaragua’s capital Managua.
Kaur, a resident of Noida, also won the prize for Best National Costume.
14. Indian businessman Yusuf Ali has won the prestigious Queen’s Enterprise Award 2017.
He was awarded for its exceptional contribution to the UK’s trade, industry and economy.
15. Bhubaneswar has become the first Indian city to win Pierre L’enfant International Planning Excellence Award-2017 instituted by the American Planning Association (APA).
Bhubaneswar has been chosen for its good and advanced town planning and engaging its residents in the planning process.
16. The President of India presented CII President’s Award for Lifetime Achievement to Mr. Rahul Bajaj.
Kamal Kumbhar was conferred CII foundation Woman Exemplar Award.
17. Sankha Ghosh Bengal poet and literacy critic was honored with 52nd Jnanpith Award which was awarded by President Pranab Mukherjee.
He is a recipient of Sahitya Akademi and Padma Bhushan.
His literary works reflects a rare poetic style but also have deep reflection on the social issues.
18. The Hero MotoCorp has been conferred with the Indian MNC of the year award by All India Management Association for the rapid global enlargement of the brand “Hero”. Other awards are:
Arundhati Bhattacharya: Business leader of the year.
Dilip Shanghvi: Entrepreneur of the Year.
Rahul Sharma: Transformational Business Leader of the Year awards.
Nandan Nilekani: Outstanding Initiative of the year for India Stack.
Maruti Suzuki: MNC of the Year (in India).
Coal India Ltd: Outstanding PSU of the year.
Mergers & Acquisitions
1. Yes Bank has announced alliance with com.
The bank will help Paisabazaar.com through its advanced analytics and data mining capabilities to offer customers of the financial marketplace with customized and conditionally approved offers across retail lending products.
Appointments & Resignations
1. BJP leader and Assam Badminton Association President Himanta Biswa Sarma was appointed Badminton Association of India’s interim head during its executive council meeting.
The post of president was left vacant after the sudden demise of former president Akhilesh Das Gupta.
2. Mridul Gehlot and Dinesh Patel were elected unanimously president and general secretary of Amateur Kabaddi Federation of India (AKFI).
The elections were held under the supervision of justice I S Israni.
3. The White House has named a retired Marine major general Randolph Ailes as the new Director of the Secret Service.
Ailes is replacing Joseph Clancy, who retired from the agency.
4. Etihad Aviation Group appointed Robin Kamark as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Airline Equity Partners.
Kamark will take over the position from Bruno Matheu, who has held the role since May 2016.
5. The government of Kazakhstan has appointed the Chairman of Kirtilals Jewelers Suraj Shantakumar as its Honorary Consul.
He was appointed as Honorary Consul for the southern states i.e Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, and Kerala.
6. Israel appointed its first female judge Hana Khatib in its Muslim sharia court system.
Khatib will be sworn in by Israeli President Reuven Rivlin in a few weeks.
7. Senior IPS officer Rajiv Rai Bhatnagar was appointed as the new Director General of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).
His appointment comes two days after the CRPF lost 25 jawans in the deadly Sukma attack.
He will be replacing acting DG Sudeep Lakhtakia.
8. R K Pachnanda was appointed as Director General of the Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP).
He will replace Krishna Chaudhary, who is set to retire in June this year.
Pachnanda is currently serving as DG of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF).
9. The Haryana Government appointed senior IPS officer Baljit Singh Prabhu as the new Director General of Haryana Police (DGP).
The 1984 batch IPS officer replacing K P Singh, who has been appointed as the Director General of Prisons.
He was previously serving as the Chairman and MD of Haryana Police Housing Corporation.
10. Nita Ambani has now been made a member of two important commissions of the global sport’s governing body, including the prestigious Olympic channel and the Olympic education Commission.
She would be one of the 16 members of the Olympic Channel Commission, which would be headed by United States Olympic Committee Chairman Lawrence Francis Probst.
11. T Krishnakumar, currently CEO of Hindustan Coca Cola Beverages, becomes Coca Cola India’s new chief.
He will replace Venkatesh Kini.
Economics & Banking GK
1. India Post Payment Bank (IPPB) is planning a mega expansion to open 650 branches this year.
The first two branches of IPPB were opened in January 2017 in Ranchi and Raipur.
The focus of the payment bank will be on door-step banking.
2. Microfinance Institutions Network (MFIN) has launched a financial literacy mobile app for microfinance clients.
It is aimed to help microfinance clients in understanding the dynamics involved in microfinance, including credit history, interest rates, repayment cycles and their rights as a borrower.
3. Markets regulator SEBI has barred resident as well as non-resident Indians (NRIs) from making investments through participatory notes (P-Notes).
This was done to curb black money in the market.
P-notes are mostly used by overseas individual investors, hedge funds and foreign institutions to invest in the Indian securities markets through registered foreign institutional investors (FIIs).
4. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will soon put into circulation new 5 Re. coins to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Allahabad High Court.
New 10 Re. coins have also been minted to commemorate the 125th year of National Archives of India.
On the design of new Rs 5 coin, the coin’s face will bear an image depicting centre facade of Allahabad High Court Building emerging from the book.
On the design of new Rs 10 coin, on the reverse of the coin, there will be an image of National Archives Building in the centre with inscription ‘125 YEARS’ below the image.
5. Payments app Paytm launched Digital gold on its platform to allow customers to buy and sell gold through electronic platform.
The product was launched in partnership with gold refiner MMTC – PAMP.
Paytm claims users will be able to purchase 24 K 999.9 purity gold starting from 1 gram.
6. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) issued draft guidelines on cross border merger transactions.
The guidelines are in accordance with the rules notified by Union Ministry of Corporate Affairs through Companies Amendment Rules, 2017.
RBI proposed these Regulations under the Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1999 (FEMA).
7. According to International Monetary Fund analysis, India will surpass Germany as the world’s fourth-largest economy by 2022 and push UK out of the top five in 2017.
India has to address a lot of issues in order to make the climb like implementing the Goods and Services Tax (GST), increasing productivity and employment opportunities etc.
Bills – New & Amendments
1. The agriculture ministry has unveiled The State/UT Agricultural Produce and Livestock Marketing (promotion and facilitation) Act, 2017
It was done in order to give more freedom to farmers to sell their produce.
The Act defined each state/UT as a single unified market area.
2. Bihar Legislative Assembly and Legislative Council unanimously adopted the Bihar Goods and Service Tax (GST) Bill, 2017 along with Bihar Taxation (Amendment) Bill, 2017.
With the passage of the bills, Bihar has become the second state, after Telangana, to ratify the legal framework for the rollout of the GST in the state.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)
1. The Maharashtra government recently signed a MoU with the Indian Railways, under which trees will be planted on the land adjacent to the railway tracks in the state.
The government is committed to plant 4 crore trees on 1st July 2017.
The state Forest department had planted 2 crores 83 lakh trees across the state on 1st July 2016, a feat recognized by the Limca Book of world records.
2. China and Iran have signed the first agreement on the reconfiguration of Iran’s Arak reactor.
The deal was concluded between the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) and a Chinese company at the official ceremony in the Austrian capital Vienna.
3. State Bank of India (SBI) and CREDAI have signed MoU to provide loans at a concessional rate to builders as well as customers for affordable housing projects.
The MoU was signed to collaborate and work towards the development of the real estate sector, specifically through the affordable housing and green housing projects.
The duration of the agreement is for a period of three years.
4. India and Armenia have signed three agreements. The Three agreements are:
The two countries signed a MoU on peaceful uses of outer space.
Another MoU on cooperation in youth matters and a program of cultural cooperation for the years 2017-2020.
The two countries are celebrating the 25th anniversary of their diplomatic ties.
5. India and Sri Lanka have signed a MoU on cooperation on economic projects.
The MoU proposes Indian investment in development of port and oil tank farms in Trincomalee, setting up of a LNG power plant and terminal, piped gas supply in capital Colombo, highway and railway projects in north and east of the country.
6. India and Cyprus have signed four agreements following delegation-level talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades in New Delhi. Both the countries signed:
An executive programme on culture, education and scientific cooperation for the years 2017 to 2020.
A work plan under a programme of cooperation in agriculture for the period 2017-2018.
Agreement on cooperation in the area of merchant shipping.
Agreement to boost air services between the two countries.
7. A tripartite MoU has been signed between BBNL, Department of Posts and BSNL to provide broadband connectivity of BharatNet to Post Offices in rural areas.
BSNL would provide broadband services.
The infrastructure expenses and the operational expenses would be paid by the Department of Posts.
BBNL would facilitate and coordinate the entire project.
Science & Technology
1. NASA launched its football-stadium-sized, heavy-lift super pressure balloon (SPB) from Wanaka, New Zealand.
The super-pressure balloon test flight is now on a mission designed to run 100 or more days.
2. Google introduced the first code for its new feature Copyless Paste in its Chrome app running on Android OS.
The new feature will take data from Chrome usage and use that to improve the experience in other apps.
Copyless Paste feature will automatically copy the useful information and will suggest it for pasting in apps where it might be relevant.
3. China has launched its first domestically built aircraft carrier ‘(Type 001A)’, which was bought from Ukraine.
The launching ceremony took place in Dalian, Liaoning province, China.
4. Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management-Kerala (IIITM-K) has launched an application named Kaapi Soil Health Management and Monitoring (Kshemam) app.
It aims to provide soil nutrient information and fertilizer recommendation for coffee plantation owners.
The app will help in proper identification of optimum levels of fertilizer use.
5. NASA scientists have discovered a new planet- OGLE-2016-BLG-1195lb- or Iceball Planet that has the same mass as Earth and orbits its star from the same distance as Earth orbits the sun.
The newly discovered planet is nearly 13,000 light-years away and orbits a small star.
6. The Cassini spacecraft begins a series of dives into the space between Saturn and its magnificent rings.
A series of 22 orbits that will bring Cassini increasingly closer to Saturn’s surface before crashing into it, is called the spacecraft’s grand finale.
To mark this final journey, Cassini is being honored with a Google Doodle.
7. India successfully test-fired its intermediate-range ballistic missile Agni-III from Abdul Kalam Island off the Odisha coast.
The missile is 17 metres long, with two-metre diameter, and weighs around 2,200 kg.
8. North Korea has test-fired a ballistic missile KN-17 defying global pressure and warnings from the United States and its mainly, China.
The test was conducted from the Pukchang region present in the north of the North Korean capital, Pyongyang.
9. The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will launch five communication satellites by the year-end.
The satellites launched by the ISRO and their purposes in the areas of weather forecasting, disaster management, space exploration, geo-spatial applications, education and agriculture.
1. World Day For Animals In Laboratories also known as World Lab Animal Day is observed every year on 24th April.
The National Anti-Vivisection Society (NAVS) describe the day as an “international day of commemoration for animals in laboratories.
2. 24th April is celebrated as National Panchayati Raj Diwas every year.
This day marks the passing of the Constitution (73rd Amendment) Act, 1992 that came into force with effect from 24 April 1993.
3. The World Book and Copyright Day is celebrated every 23rd April, a symbolic date in remembrance of the deaths of two major authors: William Shakespeare and Miguel de Cervantes.
By celebrating this Day, UNESCO seeks to promote reading, publishing and the protection of copyright.
4. English Language Day at the UN is celebrated on 23rd April, observed as both the birthday and date of death of William Shakespeare.
The day is the result of a 2010 initiative by the Department of Public Information, establishing language days for each of the Organization’s six official languages.
5. World Malaria Day is observed globally on 25th April every year.
The global theme for World Malaria Day 2017 is End Malaria for Good.
World Malaria Day is an occasion to highlight the need for continued investment and sustained political commitment for malaria prevention and control.
6. International Chernobyl Disaster Remembrance Day observed on 26th April 2017.
The day is celebrated to commemorate the victims of explosion at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in 1986 that spread a radioactive cloud over large parts of the Soviet Union Federation.
Nearly 8.4 million people in the Belarus, Ukraine and Russia were exposed to the radiation.
7. World Intellectual Property Day (WIP) is celebrated on 26th April to learn about the role that intellectual property rights (patents, trademarks, industrial designs, copyright) play in encouraging innovation and creativity.
WIP Day is organized by World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
The theme for 2017 – Innovation – Improving Lives.
8. The World Day for Safety and Health at work was observed across the world on 28 April 2017.
The theme of 2017 is Optimize the collection and use of occupational Safety and Health (OSH).
It focuses on the critical need for countries to improve their capacity to collect and utilize reliable occupational safety and health (OSH) data.
9. International Dance Day is celebrated every year on 29th April to create awareness of dance as an art form across the world.
The day was introduced in 1982 by the International Dance Council (CID, Conseil International de la Danse), a UNESCO partner NGO.
10. The Day of remembrance of all victims of chemical Warfare was observed on 29th April by the United Nations (UN).
This commemoration will provide an opportunity to pay tribute to the victims of chemical warfare.
It also promotes the goals of peace, security, and multilateralism.
11. World Immunization Week 2017 is being observed across the globe between 24 April and 30 April 2017.
The theme for the 2017 World Immunization Week is VaccinesWork.
The theme aims to raise awareness about the critical importance of full immunization throughout life, and its role in achieving the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals.
Recent Notable Deaths
1. Veteran actor and sitting BJP MP Vinod Khanna passed away at the age of 70 after a difficult battle with cancer.
Khanna has featured in as many as 146 films. Some of his famous films are Mere Apne, Insaaf and Amar, Akbar, Anthony.
2. Tamil actor and writer Vinu Chakravarthy, who had starred in over 1,000 films, breathed his last on 27 April 2017.
Vinu Chakravarthy has acted in more than 1000 movies in Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam languages.
He is known for his comedian, supporting and villainous roles.
Important Abbreviations Used in this Article
|NITI||National Institution for Transforming India|
|HUDCO||Housing and Urban Development Corporation Ltd.|
|MSEFC||Micro and Small Enterprises Facilitation Council|
|PMAY||Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana|
|UNESCO||United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization|
|GNFC||Gujarat Narmada Valley Fertilizers & Chemicals Limited|
|CII||Confederation of Indian Industry|
|SEBI||Securities and Exchange Board of India|
|BSNL||Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited|
|BBNL||Bharat Broadband Network|
|NASA||National Aeronautics and Space Administration|
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge. Share the article with your friends if you find it informative.
For more updates about General Awareness and Competitive Exams stay connected to our social media channels:
Image Courtesy: Google Images