Read current affairs online with GK Eduwrap. It covers the last week current affairs in a comprehensive manner ensuring you prepare confidently for the general awareness for bank exams.
National – Across the India
1. CM N Chandrababu Naidu launched Sexed Semen for Cows Supply Scheme (SSCSS) and inaugurated mobile veterinary clinic under Sanchara Pasu Vaidya Seva Kendram (SPVSK).
The main aim was to provide veterinary service at the doorstep of farmers in uncovered areas.
2. Union Minister Shri Narendra Singh Tomar commissioned two Ganga Grams at an event organized in Uttarakhand at village Veerpur Khurd.
Two villages on the bank of River Ganga, Veerpur Khurd in Dehradun and Mala in Pauri Garhwal have been taken by the Ministry to make them model Ganga villages, in collaboration with GIWA (Global Interfaith WASH Alliance).
3. The Single Women Pension Scheme, providing Rs 1,000 financial assistance per month to poor women, was launched across Telangana.
Single women whose annual income is below Rs. 2 lakhs are eligible for the pension.
4. Kerala State government has come out with a green protocol to make the weddings in the state more nature-friendly.
As per the protocol, plastic and other non-biodegradable articles including disposable glasses and plates and thermocol decorations will not be permitted to be used in wedding ceremonies.
5. Union Minister of State Dr. Jitendra Singh announced the launch of Hill Area Development Programme (HADP) for Northeast in Imphal (Manipur).
The hilly areas of Manipur, Tripura and Assam have a distinct geophysical entity and are lagging in socio-economic development.
6. Union Government launched an initiative with 10 lakh LED street lights to be installed in Gram Panchayats of 7 districts in State namely Guntur, Prakasham, Nellore, Kurnool, Kadapa, Anantapur & Chittoor in the first phase.
This is the first project for rural LED street lighting in the country under the Government of India’s Street Lighting National Project (SLNP).
7. Habibganj Railway Station, in the suburbs of Bhopal will become the country’s first railway station to be redeveloped in a Public-Private Partnership (PPP) mode.
The idea is to develop Habibganj Railway Station as a world-class transit hub equipped with all amenities.
8. Shri J P Nadda, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare launched the ‘Skill for Life, Save a Life’ initiative at a function.
The initiative aims to upscale the quantity and quality of trained professionals in the healthcare system.
9. The Uttar Pradesh state government has planned to replace textbooks meant for Uttar Pradesh Secondary Education Board with the ones published by the NCERT.
The decision to introduce NCERT books is expected to come into force with the academic year 2018-19.
10. Union Minister M Venkaiah Naidu launched Segregation of Waste at Source Initiative for National Capital Region at Talkatora Stadium.
It would help to protect the environment, preservation of earth from climate change and make waste into the wealth by recycling.
11. M. Venkaiah Naidu has inaugurated the Saath Hai Viswaas Hai, Ho Raha Vikas Hai Exhibition at Indira Niketan Park, Sarojini Nagar, New Delhi.
The exhibition would showcase the achievements of the Government in the last 3 years in various sectors.
12. The Yogi Adityanath cabinet in Uttar Pradesh decided to rename Mughalsarai railway station near Varanasi after RSS ideologue Pandit Deendayal Upadhyaya.
Upadhyay had died under mysterious circumstances while travelling in a train at Mughalsarai station on 11th February 1968.
13. Health Secretary C K Mishra has inaugurated the Vatsalya – Maatri Amrit Kosh a National Human Milk Bank and Lactation Counselling Centre at the Lady Hardinge Medical College (LHMC) in New Delhi.
Vatsalya – Maatri Amrit Kosh will collect, pasteurize, test and safely store milk donated by lactating mothers and make it available for infants in need.
14. The Indian Railways is working on a roadmap to collaborate with Malaysia to redevelop around 20 stations in Tier-II cities across India.
The project is aimed at attracting about Rs 1 lakh crore private investment and is also expected to revamp the infrastructure at platforms as well as circulating areas.
15. Lt. General Amarjeet Singh Bedi has inaugurated a War Memorial at Thembang village in Kameng district of Arunachal Pradesh.
The memorial has been dedicated to the men of 5 Guards, who fought during the Indo-China war in Thembang village on 16th & 17th November 1962.
16. The Presidential Election of India will be held on 17th July 2017, as per the announcement made by Chief Election Commissioner, Nasim Zaidi.
The term of President Pranab Mukherjee will come to an end on 24 July 2017.
The nominations for Presidential Election will begin from the 14th June 2017 and will end on 28th June 2017.
17. The Ministry of Civil Aviation is adding a digital experience for air travelers through DigiYatra platform to transform the nation into a digitally empowered society.
The initiative will help passengers plan their trips efficiently by identifying price trends and estimate future airfares at the time of ticket booking.
18. Minister of Railways Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu inaugurated Indian Railways’ 1st HR Round Table Conference on 8th June 2017.
The Conference was organized around three themes i.e. Stakeholders Expectations from HR, The Future of Work – HR Role and Creativity Within Constraints.
19. The second National Health Editors’ Conference on Yoga was inaugurated by Minister of State for AYUSH (Independent Charge), at National Media Centre in New Delhi on 9th June.
The theme of this year’s conference was Yoga for Health and Harmony.
The aim of the conference was to give insight to the journalists about the scientific aspects of yoga & its benefits for human health.
20. President Pranab Mukherjee launched the ‘Selfie with Daughter’ mobile application.
The aim of the campaign is to raise awareness about female foeticide and sex selection.
The campaign was started by Sunil Jaglan in June 2015 in village Bibipur in Haryana’s Jind district.
21. Shri Thaawarchand Gehlot inaugurated the Eastern Regional Conference of Eastern Region States on issues relating to Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities.
It was organized by Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD), Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment.
22. NITI Aayog has launched SATH, a program providing ‘Sustainable Action for Transforming Human Capital’ with the State Governments.
The vision of SATH Program is to initiate transformation in the education and health sectors.
23. Supreme Court rules that it would be mandatory for all Aadhaar holders to link the unique identity number with the PAN for filing income tax returns.
Under the Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Act, 2016, the unique identity number is mandatory only to receive social welfare benefits.
24. India ranks 74th in 4G Internet Data Speed with a download speed of 5.1 MBPS.
Singapore scored the highest in 4G speed while South Korea scored highest in 4G availability.
The global average 4G download speed was 16.2 MBPS.
International – Across the Globe
1. India has been ranked 45th in 2017 World Competitiveness Rankings compiled by International Institute for Management Development’s (IMD) World Competitiveness Center.
The list was topped by Hong Kong, while Switzerland and Singapore were ranked second and third respectively, with the USA at the fourth spot.
2. The 2017 Global Retail Development Index (GRDI) titled ‘The Age of Focus’ has placed India at the top position among 30 developing countries on ease of doing business in the retail sector.
China was placed at the second place.
3. The second Mission Innovation Ministerial (MI-2) will take place in Beijing, China on 7th–8th June 2017.
This event will include ministerial working sessions, opportunities for high-profile announcements, Innovation Challenge discussions, and a series of side events.
4. According to UNCTAD’s World Investment Report 2017, India continues to remain as a favourite destination for FDI.
According to the report, the favourite destinations for FDI are the US, China and India.
As per the report, FDI inflows into a developing Asia has reduced by 15% to USD 443 billion in 2016.
5. According to BMI Research, a Fitch group company, India is among the top five consumer markets in Asia offering retailers the strongest consumer spending growth of an average of 6.1% over the next five years.
The other four countries are China, Sri Lanka, Vietnam and Indonesia.
6. The summit of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) was held in Astana, Kazakhstan on 8th-9th June.
India and Pakistan formally admitted into the SCO.
Chinese President Xi Jinping, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, and Russian President Vladimir Putin attended the summit among others.
7. The BRICS countries grouping established a one-million-dollar fund for boosting media cooperation in the five-nation grouping.
The proposal is also aimed at the joint development of BRICS digital media, financial information services and promoting people- to-people contacts.
8. The Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings 2018 has been released, IIT-Bombay, IIT-Delhi and IISc Bengaluru, have made it to the top 200 global universities.
IIT-Bombay ranks 179 this time.
IIT-Delhi has risen from 185 ranks to 172 this year.
IISc slipped over 30 places from 152 to 190.
Sports & Athletics
1. Indian shuttler B. Sai Praneeth lifted his maiden Grand Prix Gold title by defeating Indonesian Jonatan Christie in the men’s singles final of the Thailand Open.
This is Praneeth’s second consecutive title win, following the Singapore Open victory.
2. Top seed Ramkumar Ramanathan defeated second seed Raymond Sarmiento of the U.S. 6-2, 6-2 in the final of the USD 15,000 ITF men’s Futures tennis tournament in Singapore.
It was the first title of the season and 15th of his career for Ramkumar.
3. Real Madrid clinched UEFA title, beating Juventus 4-1 in a scintillating final in Cardiff, Wales.
Cristiano Ronaldo scored a pair of goals for Real – his 11th and 12th of the competition.
4. Indian wild card Nitin Kumar Sinha defeated Malaysian player Christian Didier Chin to win the boys singles title of HCL Asian Junior Tennis Championship.
In girls’ singles final, second seed Mihika Yadav defeated top seed Mahak Jain in straight sets 6-3, 6-3.
5. Sudha Singh won a gold medal in the women’s 3000 m steeplechase at 21 St Federation Cup National Senior Athletics Championship.
She finished over a 100m ahead of Parul Chaudhary.
6. Rohan Bopanna won his Grand Slam title along with his Canadian partner Gabriela Dabrowski by winning the French Open Mixed Doubles Trophy.
He has become the fourth Indian to clinch a major title.
7. Three Indian male shuttlers – Ajay Jayaram, Kidambi Srikanth and B. Sai Praneeth – were in the top 15 of the latest Badminton World Federation Rankings released.
Ajay Jayaram occupied 13th position while Kidambi Srikanth is positioned at 14th and B Sai Praneeth at 15th spot respectively.
8. Sri Lankan cricketer Muttiah Muralitharan was admitted into the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) Hall of Fame.
He was awarded the honor along with Arthur Morris, George Lohmann and Karen Rolton by fellow ICC Cricket Hall of Famers and members of the media.
9. The International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) Executive Board added 15 new events for the 2020 Olympics to be held in Tokyo.
Tokyo Games would include 321 events, which is an increase from 306 events held at Rio 2016.
Awards & Recognition
1. Filmmaker Madhur Bhandarkar was conferred with the Bharat Gaurav Award by the NRI community at an award function held on 9th June in New York.
He already has the National Awards for Best Feature Film and Best Director for Page 3 and Traffic Signal respectively.
2. The Ministry of Rural Development has selected Vizianagaram as one among the 17 districts for MGNREGA annual award.
The award will be given to Vizianagaram for its effective implementation of MNREGA Act during the time 2015-16.
3. Sachin Tendulkar joins a roster of global celebrities, including David Beckham and Novak Djokovic, for a special UNICEF Super Dads Campaign.
The initiative is aimed at celebrating fatherhood and highlights the importance of love, play, protection and good nutrition for the healthy development of the brains of the young children.
4. Popular writer Anand Neelakantan, Odia poet Haraprasad Das and author Paramita Satpathy were announced winners of the Kalinga Literary Awards.
The Kalinga International Literary Award, Kalinga Literary Youth Award and Kalinga Karubaki Award will be conferred upon Neelakantan, Das and Satpathy respectively.
5. NASA has selected 12 new astronauts including an Indian-American, Lt Col Raja Grinder Chari, from 18000 applications.
He is a commander of the 461st Flight Test Squadron as well as the director of the F-35 Integrated Test Force at Edwards Air Force Base in California.
6. Sahithi Pingali, a class 12 student from Bangalore’s Inventure Academy, joins an elite group of people having their names named after stars in the Milky Way Galaxy.
She won the Gold Medal for her research on ‘An Innovative Crowdsourcing Approach to Monitoring Freshwater Bodies’ which was based on city lakes.
7. Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare J P Nadda has been conferred the WHO Director-General’s Special Recognition Award for global tobacco control.
The award was presented to him by Dr. Poonam Khetrapal Singh, Regional Director, WHO South-East Asia.
8. The 22nd European Union Film Festival (EUFF) kicked off in New Delhi which will screen 22 films from 22 European countries at Siri Fort Auditorium.
The aim of the event is to improve cultural ties between India and European countries.
The inaugural session of the film festival opened with Estonian film Cherry Tobacco.
9. Indian cricket team captain Virat Kohli has been ranked 89th in the Forbes List of World’s 100 highest paid athletes with a total pay of $22 million.
The list has been topped by Cristiano Ronaldo with a total pay of 93 million dollars.
10. Jeje Lalpekhlua received the All India Football Federation’s inaugural player of the year 2016 award.
Sasmita Malik was adjudged the 2016 AIFF Women’s player of the year.
Sunil Chettri received a Special Award for surpassing the milestone over the last year. Chhetri also won the Hero of the I-League award.
Books & Authors
1. The President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee received the first copies of book Lalan Shah Fakir Ke Geet and DVD of selected songs of Lalan Shah Fakir at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
The book was written by Prof. Muchkund Dubey.
2. Arundhati Roy’s second novel The Ministry of Utmost Happiness was launched after a gap of 20 year years from her debut The God of Small Things.
She became the first Indian woman to win the prestigious Booker Prize for her first novel The God of Small Things.
Mergers & Acquisitions
1. Mumbai Metro One Pvt. Ltd (MMOPL) announced a tie-up with Google Maps to provide details and information about the service.
The tie-up will provide people authentic timetable and associated geographic details on all the Metro stations on the Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar route.
2. The proposed merger between Aadhar Housing Finance and Dewan Housing Finance Limited (DHFL) Vyasa got the approval from housing finance regulator National Housing Bank (NHB).
Both the companies are owned by Wadhawan family promoted Wadhawan Global Capital Pvt. Limited.
3. Canara Bank has inked pact with the state-owned general insurer New India Assurance Co to sell policies through its branches.
The tie-up will offer personal products such as motor insurance, home insurance, health insurance, travel insurance besides commercial policy coverages like fire insurance, marine insurance and engineering insurance.
Appointments & Resignations
1. Mr. Param Jit Mann has been appointed as the India’s next Ambassador to Slovenia.
He is an Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer of the 1987 batch and presently Ambassador of India to the Slovak Republic.
2. Dr. Sharad Kumar Jain has assumed the additional charge of Director General, National Water Development Agency (NWDA) under Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation.
He will succeed Shri S. Masood Husain who has moved over as Member (WP&P), Central Water Commission.
3. Sher Bahadur Deuba has been elected as Nepal’s Prime Minister for the fourth time.
Deuba managed to secure 388 votes in the 593 strong Parliament to prove his majority.
4. Bollywood actress Dia Mirza was appointed the brand ambassador for the Wildlife Trust of India (WTI) on World Environment Day.
5. Hoshiar Singh a 1994 batch officer of the Indian Telecom Service appointed as Registrar of Copyrights.
His period of five years as per the recent order issued by the Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT).
6. K G Karmakar and Gauri Shankar are appointed as Independent Directors of India Post Payments Bank (IPPB).
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved their appointment to the post on the board of directors of the bank for a period of three years.
7. Lakshmi Vilas Bank (LVB) appointed B K Manjunath as a Part-time chairman for three years.
Manjunath is a member of Institute of Chartered Accountants of India and a practicing charted accountant for the last 25 years.
8. SEBI has granted conditional approval for the appointment of Vikram Limaye as the MD and CEO of the NSE.
However, SEBI had not cleared his appointment as he was also present in the Supreme Court appointed four-member panel managing the affairs of BCCI.
9. Preet Kaur Gill has become the first Sikh to be elected to the British Parliament’s House of Commons.
Similarly, Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi has become the first turban-wearing Sikh to be elected to the House of Commons.
Economics & Banking GK
1. The World Bank’s Global Economic Prospects (GEP) has projected a growth rate of 7.2% for India in the financial year 2017 as against 6.8% growth in 2016.
The bank in its report expects India’s growth rate to remain at 7.5% in 2018 and 7.7% in 2019.
2. Finance Minister asked other ministers to decide on FDI proposals within 60 days of the application and any rejection will need the concurrence of the DIPP Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion.
A timeline of 4 weeks has been fixed for the transfer of all pending applications with the FIPB (Foreign Investment Promotion Board) to the respective administrative ministries.
3. Vijaya Bank started to develop as many as 100 digital villages in various States across the country as part of its initiative to promote digital banking among the rural population.
It is the only public sector financial institution to develop digital villages with a focus on rural population.
The bank has already developed 5 villages into Digital Villages.
4. ICICI Bank commissioned over 200 solar powered ATM sites in the last one year as part of its efforts to reduce carbon footprint and use more clean energy.
This is equivalent to the amount of energy that can power 42,000 rural households for an entire year.
5. State Bank of India will organize farmers’ meets at 15,500 rural and semi-urban branches across the country on 8th June.
The SBI hopes to reach out to at least 10 lakh farmers through these meets on the day.
6. The Reserve Bank (RBI) of India in its Second Bi-monthly Monetary Policy kept its repo rate unchanged at 6.25 percent and reverse repo rate unchanged at six percent respectively.
However, the central bank lowered economic growth projection to 7.3 percent from 7.4 percent for FY18.
The apex bank cut the statutory liquidity ratio (SLR) by 50 bps to 20%.
7. HDFC Bank has introduced charges on Unified Payments Interface (UPI) that will be charged from 10th July 2017.
Transactions from Rs 1 to Rs 25,000 will be charged Rs 3 plus taxes while transactions above Rs 25,000 to Rs 1 lakh will be charged Rs 5.
8. Axis Bank Ltd has announced biodegradable prepaid gift cards on World Environment Day.
The cards will be acceptable at all domestic merchant outlets and online portals.
9. Indian Oil Corporation (IOC), Hindustan Petroleum Corporation (HPCL) and Bharat Petroleum Corporation (BPCL) will revise the prices of petrol and diesel daily from 16th June throughout the country.
The move is aimed at countering the practice of undercutting by private retailers as well as to bring India at par with the US oil market.
10. Walmart topped the Fortune’s annual list of Americas top 500 companies for the fifth consecutive year with the revenue of $ 485.8 million.
IT based Apple with $53 billion jumps from 5th to 3rd place.
Amazom.com moved from 29th to 18th place.
Walgreens jumped from 35th to 19th place.
Facebook jumped 85th to 157th place.
11. State Bank of India has cut the interest rate on home loans above Rs. 75 lakhs by 10 basis points (bps) to 8.55%-8.6%, with effect from 15th June.
The revised interest rates will be 8.55% pa (per annum) for salaried women borrowers.
For others, the rate of interest will be 8.60% pa.
Bills – New & Amendments
1. The Union Ministry of Law and Justice has cleared the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Karnataka Amendment) Bill 2017 for the Kambala.
Kambala is the traditional slush track buffalo race that is held annually in coastal districts of Karnataka to entertain rural people of the area.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)
1. Bank of Baroda (BoB) has entered a MoU with Small Farmers Agribusiness Consortium (SFAC).
Under this MoU, BoB will provide collateral free loans to Farmers Producer Companies (FPC) for which credit guarantee covers up to 85 percent of the loan amount maximum up to Rs 1 crore will be made available by SFAC.
2. The National Aviation University (NAU) signed a MoU with the Bird Worldwide Flight Services (India) Private Limited.
The aim is to develop professional aviation and aerospace education programs and research for the benefit of the Indian civil aviation industry.
3. Nepal has signed a MoU with China Gezhouba Group Corporation (CGGC) for developing a 1,200 MW Budhigandaki Hydroelectric Project, which will be the biggest hydro project in Nepal.
As per the agreement, the hydro project would be built under engineering, procurement, construction and finance (EPCF) model.
4. India signed an agreement to provide assistance of 318 million US Dollar credit line to Sri Lanka for the development of the railway sector in the country.
India already provided four Lines of Credit for the development of railway sector in Sri Lanka through its EXIM Bank amounting to approximately USD 966 million.
5. The Union Cabinet gave its approval for Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) to enter two separate MoU with securities market regulators of the European Union and Iran.
These MoUs are expected to strengthen cooperation between India and the respective countries on matters pertaining to the securities market.
6. The Union Cabinet approved the MoU between Export-Import Bank of India (EXIM Bank) and Export-Import Bank of Korea (KEXIM) for export credit of USD 9 billion.
The MoU is aimed towards the infrastructural development in India and for the supply of goods and services as part of projects in third countries.
7. The Union Cabinet approved the signing and subsequent ratification of the agreement between India and Somalia on the transfer of sentenced persons between both the countries.
The agreement will facilitate the Indian prisoners imprisoned in Somalia or vice-versa to rejoin their respective nations.
8. The Tamil Nadu government signed a MoU with the Civil Aviation Ministry for the implementation of the UDAN (Ude Desh ka Aam Naagrik) scheme in the presence of Chief Minister K Palaniswami.
Tamil Nadu is set to have low-cost flight services in the first phase of implementation of the Centre’s UDAN scheme which seeks to promote regional air connectivity.
9. An agreement for IBRD Credit of USD 39.2 Million from World Bank for the project “Assam Citizen Centric Service Delivery” was signed.
The objective of the project is to improve access to the delivery of selected public services in Assam.
Science & Technology
1. India’s heaviest rocket GSLV-Mk III was launched on 5th June 2017 from Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.
It carried a 3,136-kg GSAT-19 communications satellite to an altitude of around 179 km above the Earth after just over 16 minutes into the flight.
2. NASA is all set to launch the world’s first ever mission devoted to studying neutron stars.
During the mission, NASA will also carry out the world’s first demonstration of X-ray navigation in space.
3. NASA will launch the Terrier-Improved Malemute sounding rocket into the space that will release blue-green and red artificial clouds.
The rocket will eject vapour canisters between 10 to 20 km from the rocket’s main payload.
4. Space X launched its first recycled cargo ship to the International Space Station.
An unnamed Falcon rocket lifted off from Florida’s Kennedy Space Center with a Dragon capsule that made a station delivery nearly three years ago.
5. India has successfully test-fired its first all-weather tracked-chassis Quick Reaction Surface-to-Air Missile (QR-SAM) from a mobile launcher at Integrated Test Range at Chandipur in Odisha.
The QR-SAM was jointly developed by the DRDO and Bharat Electronics Limited.
6. Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has launched three new apps Mycall app, MySpeed app and ‘Do not disturb (DND 2.0)’ to help customers rate quality of services, speed and performance.
MyCall app will help mobile phone users rate their experience about voice call quality in real time.
MySpeed app will enable TRAI to obtain test data from users in all service areas, without any action by the users.
7. The National Board of Wildlife approved Rutland Island in South Andaman to be the site for the country’s long-range missile test facility.
The project involves diversion of 49.978 acres forest land, of which 0.84 falls in the Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park and 49.138 acres reserve forest within 10km of the Eco Sensitive Zone.
8. A team of Astronomers discovered the hottest giant planet KELT-9b with a dayside temperature of more than 4,300 degrees Celsius.
KELT-9b is a hybrid planet-star.
It has the mass of Planet and an atmosphere like a star.
9. The world’s First Hybrid Aeroboat built by an Indo-Russian joint venture announced publicly start-ups event organized by Russia’s state-run Skolkovo Foundation.
The Aeroboat is capable of traveling on land, water, snow, and sand.
10. North Korea fired multiple cruise missiles into the waters between Korea and Japan.
The missiles that flew for about 200 km were reportedly launched from Wonsan, a city on North Korea’s east coast.
With this launch, the total number of missile tests conducted by North Korea this year goes up to ten.
1. World Environment Day (WED) occurs on 5th June every year, is the United Nation’s principal vehicle for encouraging worldwide awareness and action for the protection of our environment.
The theme for 2017 is Connecting People to Nature – in the city and on the land, from the poles to the equator’.
The host country for the year 2017 is Canada.
2. International Day of Innocent Children Victims of Aggression is observed on 4th June across the globe for the innocent children life save.
This day affirms the United Nation’s commitment for preserving the rights of children.
3. World Oceans Day is celebrated across the world on 8th June.
The theme for World Oceans Day 2017 is Our Oceans, Our Future.
This day provides a unique opportunity to honor, help protect, and conserve the oceans.
Recent Notable Deaths
1. Veteran Congress leader and Rajya Sabha member from Telangana, Palvai Govardhan Reddy, died of cardiac arrest in Kulu, Himachal Pradesh.
Palvai was first elected to the Legislative Assembly in 1967 from Munugodu constituency in Nalgonda district in the United Andhra Pradesh.
2. Mehrunnisa Dalwai, eminent social activist, author and wife of the late thinker and Marathi writer Hamid Dalwai has passed away.
She worked for justice and equal rights for Muslim women and spearheaded a march in Mumbai seeking abolition of triple ‘talaq’.
She also founded Islamic Research Institute and Maharashtra Talaq Mukti Morcha.
Important Abbreviations Used in this Article
|PAN||Permanent Account Number|
|UNCTAD||United Nations Conference on Trade and Development|
|ITF||International Tennis Federation|
|UEFA||Union of European Football Associations|
|UNICEF||United Nations Children’s Fund|
|SEBI||Securities and Exchange Board of India|
|FDI||Foreign Direct Investment|
|NSE||National Stock Exchange|
|NASA||National Aeronautics and Space Administration|
|BCCI||Board of Control for Cricket in India|
|ICICI||Industrial Credit and Infrastructure Corporation of India|
|HDFC||Housing Development Finance Corporation|
|IBRD||International Bank for Reconstruction and Development|
|GSLV||Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle|
|DRDO||Defence Research and Development Organisation|
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge. Share the article with your friends if you find it informative.
For more updates about General Awareness and Competitive Exams stay connected to our social media channels:
Image Courtesy: Google Images