Read current affairs online with GK Eduwrap. It covers the last week current affairs in a comprehensive manner ensuring you prepare confidently for the general awareness for bank exams.
National – Across the India
1. The tallest national flag in the country measuring 360 feet was hoisted at the Attari-Wagah joint check post in Punjab.
Earlier, the record was held by the one in Ranchi which is 293 feet high.
2. A three – day National Conference on Innovation in Educational Administration has begun on 5th March 2017 at Pravasi Bhartiya Kendra, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi.
This Conference has been organized by National University of Educational Planning and Administration (NUEPA), New Delhi.
About 150 district and block level education officers from across India and resource persons and faculty of the university are participating in the Conference.
3. INS Viraat, Indian Navy’s flagship aircraft carrier, famously known as the ‘Grand Old Lady’, will retire from service on 6th March 2017.
The aircraft carrier which holds the Guinness Record for the oldest carrier in service was inducted into the Indian Navy on May 12, 1987.
4. The Union Government has launched the first ever across-the-river survey in River Ganga.
The survey was done to determine the population of aquatic life, including that of the endangered Gangetic dolphin.
The survey will create a baseline scientific data for the government to take suitable measures to improve quality of the Ganga’s water.
5. The Union Government has approved strategic sale of state-owned Steel Authority of India Limited’s (SAIL) three special steel plants.
These are Alloy Steels Plant located at Durgapur (West Bengal), Salem Steel Plant (Tamil Nadu) and Visvesvaraya Iron and Steel Plant (Bhadravati, Karnataka).
6. The Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC) 2017 report, claims that nearly 45 per cent of the 1263 species available in India are found in Himachal Pradesh.
7. Chandigarh will be hosting a three-day long Destination North East 2017 event from 6th March 2017 to 8th march 2017.
The event is aimed at showcasing North East as a potential destination for investment.
8. GMR-led consortium, have secured top 2 rankings in airport service quality by the Airports Council International.
Hyderabad airport was ranked number 1 in the 5-15 mppa category in the Airports Council International 2016 rankings.
Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport has become world’s number 2 airport in the over 40 million passengers per annum (mppa) category.
9. The two-day International Yoga fest has begun in New Delhi on 8th March 2017.
More than 3,500 participants including eminent yoga gurus, yoga masters, scholars, policy makers and representatives from 15- 18 countries participated in this mega event.
10. The Central Board of Secondary education (CBSE) has come up with a mobile application Exam Locator.
The app will help students to quickly know the exam centre on the basis of their roll number.
A student can easily find the address, images and geolocation of the designated exam centre on the map.
11. The 11th North East Business Summit (NEBS) has begun in New Delhi.
It is an initiative to facilitate investment, highlight strengths of the North-East Region (NER) and business opportunities which North-East has to offer.
The Summit will also showcase the untapped business potential of North-East to investors worldwide.
12. The Centre is all set to roll out a Rs. 2,700-crore welfare scheme in 100 smart cities to give rent vouchers to the urban poor.
The government would launch the new rental housing policy with the rent vouchers for below poverty line (BPL) families.
The scheme is expected to cost Rs. 2,713 crore every year to implement in smart cities.
13. The Minister of State of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Shri Anil Madhav Dave, launched the web portal for obtaining Coastal Regulation Zone clearances.
The portal allocates a unique identity for each proposal for all future references.
14. The Union Government has decided to constitute a high-level committee to resolve the grievances and complaints of women sports persons.
The announcement was made at a conference on ‘Women and Sports in India’ in New Delhi. The few focus points of the conference are:
Creation of safe spaces for girl athletes and women coaches.
Inclusion of gender sensitization modules in coach training modules.
15. India Navy has commissioned INS Tillanchang at Karwar, Karnataka. It is a Water Jet Fast Attack Craft (WJFAC).
It is the third ship of four follow-on WJFAC built by the Kolkata based Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE).
The first two ships INS Tarmugli and INS Tihayu which were commissioned in 2016.
16. Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Palaniswami has launched a housing scheme estimated at Rs 1,580 crore.
The scheme was being implemented by the state government with Central assistance for the economically poor.
Concrete houses will be constructed for 50,170 beneficiaries in town panchayat limits.
17. The AIADMK IT Wing has launched the first-of-its-kind women safety application ‘Ammavin Aran’ in Tamil Nadu.
The app Ammavin Aran means mother’s fortress.
The app will give the user details about the nearest police station and hospital along with map details and phone number.
18. The government has made Aadhaar Card mandatory for a host of schemes.
The schemes include the agriculture ministry, from soil health card and horticulture development to the Prime Minister’s flagship crop insurance scheme.
Farmers without an Aadhaar number have to apply for it by end of March.
19. The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MEITY) has issued draft Information Technology Rules 2017 for Prepaid Payment Instruments (PPI) company or e wallet firms.
The draft rules seek to ensure integrity, security and confidentiality of electronic payments made through PPIs.
20. Scientists for the first time have discovered three new canyons close to Kovvada in Srikakulam district of Andhra Pradesh.
This discovery was made by team of scientists from CSIR-National Institute of Oceanography (NIO) in Visakhapatnam.
These three canyons together form a major canyon system in the depths of the Bay of Bengal.
21. Punjab Agricultural University (PAU) in Ludhiana has claimed developing country’s first genetically-modified (GM) varieties of cotton – PAU Bt 1 and F1861.
The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) also has identified three Bt cotton varieties –F1861, PAU Bt 1 and RS2013 for cultivation in Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan.
22. 46th National Safety Week Campaign was commenced from 4th March 2017 to 10th March 2017 to renewing the commitment of employees and general public to work safely throughout the year.
It is observed by National Safety Council (NSC) since 1972.
2017 theme is Keep Each Other Safe.
23. Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Shri Kiren Rijiju launched mobile application MySSB.
The Minister lauded the efforts in developing the application and expressed hope that SSB will continue keeping the welfare of its personnel on priority basis.
24. For the first time in India, four states Odisha, West Bengal, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand have decided to conduct a synchronized elephant census in May 2017.
These four together have the maximum number of human-elephant conflict-prone regions in India.
This decision was taken by senior Forest Department officials of the four States during a regional workshop.
25. Senior Bharatiya Janata Party leader and Goa deputy chief minister Francis Dsouza has won Goa Elections 2017 by 6,828 votes from Mapusa constituency.
He has defeated Secretary of Goa Cricket Association Vinod Phadke of the MGP.
26. Central Board of Secondary Education has made six subjects mandatory for class 10th board exams.
CBSE allowing asse4sment scheme for Class 10 students in vocational stream who fail in any of social science, mathematics and science papers to replace it with a vocational subject.
However, if a candidate wishes to reappear for the failed subject, he/she can appear in the compartment examination.
27. India has successfully test fired Brahmos Supersonic cruise missile tested from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) Chandipur at sea in Balasore, off the coast of Odisha.
It is a 450-km range version of the cruise missile.
The extended range Brahmos hit the target with centimetric accuracy.
28. Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore has been ranked eighth at The Best Small Universities in the World 2017.
It becomes the first Indian University to be ranked among top 10 in the world.
29. The World Health Organization (WHO) announced that more than 1 in 4 deaths of children under 5 years of age are attributable to unhealthy environments.
The revelations were made by the agency in its two new reports, titled Inheriting a Sustainable World: Atlas on Children’s Health and the Environment and Don’t pollute my future! The impact of the environment on children’s health.
30. Prime Minister, Narendra Modi released a commemorative postage stamp on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of Yogoda Satsanga Society of India.
He said it is unfortunate that some people link Adhyatma with religion.
31. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will dedicate to the nation a Petrochemical Complex of ONGC Petro Additions Limited at Dahej, Gujrat.
During his two day visit to Gujarat he will also dedicate a four-lane bridge over the Narmada at Bharuch on NH-8.
32. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affair (CCEA) approved the proposal for revival of 50 un-served airports and airstrips of the state governments, Airports Authority of India and Civil enclaves.
The total cost of the project is estimated to be 4500 crore rupees.
International – Across the Globe
1. A 14-day joint training exercise of the armies of India and Oman has begun at Bakloh in Himachal Pradesh.
The exercise, Al Nagah-II, drew contingents comprised of platoon strength troops from both the armies.
2. President Donald Trump removed Iraq from a list of countries targeted in a US travel ban when he signed a new executive order after his controversial first attempt was blocked in the courts.
The new executive order would keep a 90-day ban on travel to the United States by citizens of six Muslim-majority nations – Iran, Libya, Syria, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen.
3. The United Nations Security Council will hold an emergency meeting on 8 March 2017 to discuss the latest missile launch by North Korea.
North Korea fired four banned ballistic missiles into the sea off Japan’s northwest coast, alarming both Japan and South Korea.
4. North Korea had temporarily banned Malaysians from leaving the country to ensure the safety of its diplomats and citizens in Malaysia.
The two countries will swiftly resolve the case in order to develop bilateral ties between both the nations.
5. A joint military exercise Surya Kiran-XI between India and Nepal has begun in Pithoragarh area of Uttarakhand.
This is a battalion level joint exercise between the two armies.
The two-week long exercise is aimed at training of both the troops in the area of various counter insurgency operations over a prolonged period.
6. Family members of the Australians on board the fatal Malaysian Airlines’ flight MH370 gathered at St John’s Cathedral in Brisbane to mark the third anniversary of the tragedy on 8th March 2017.
The private ceremony was attended by around 100 people including Darren Chester and Angus Houston.
7. The mega cultural festival India by the Nile Crafts Mela has started from 8th March 2017-23rd April 2017, showcasing joint handicraft exhibition of India and Egypt.
The Embassy of India in Cairo, in collaboration with Teamwork Arts, presented ‘Crafts Mela’ as part of the IBN 2017 cultural festival.
The festival, which is a celebration of Indian music, dance, theatre, visual arts, food and wellbeing, is the largest foreign festival in Egypt showcasing 70 events across the country.
8. The state of Hawaii has become the first state to sue to stop President Donald Trump’s revised travel ban.
The Hawaii president stated that the order will harm its Muslim population, tourism and foreign students.
9. National Assembly of Pakistan has passed the Hindu Marriage Bill, 2016 to regulate marriages of Hindus in Pakistan.
The bill was passed again by the lower house after amendments were made by the Senate (Upper House) while passing the bill.
The law prohibits the marriage of minors and prescribes a minimum age of 18-years for contracting marriage.
10. Great Barrier Reef in Australia’s eastern coast is experiencing an unprecedented second straight year of mass coral bleaching.
This is for the first-time Great Barrier Reef has bleached two years in sequence.
Earlier in March and April 2016, 2,300-km reef suffered had its most severe bleaching on record due to warming sea temperatures.
11.The Supreme Court of India said that it will not accept discharge of senior BJP leader LK Advani and others in the Babri Masjid demolition case only on technical grounds.
Sports & Athletics
1. Britain’s Andy Murray beats Spaniard Fernando Verdasco in straight sets to win the Dubai Championships for the first time.
It is Murray’s first tournament win of 2017 and the 45th of his career.
2. American Sam Querrey claimed the biggest title of his career after defeating Rafael Nadal in straight sets in the final of the Mexican Open.
He won 6-3 7-6 (7-3) against the Rafael Nadal, who was chasing his 70th career title.
3. Board of Cricket Control in India (BCCI) has confirmed Oppo as its new sponsor. Oppo will replace Star on India’s jersey.
The deal will start from April 2017 and Oppo mobiles will be Indian team’s new sponsor for a period of 5 years.
The new deal was signed for Rs 1079 Crores which is five times more than the previous deal.
4. Ravichandran Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja have become the first pair of spinners to jointly share the top spot in the ICC Player rankings for Test Bowlers.
Dale Steyn and Muttiah Muralitharan in 2008 were the last bowling pair to be jointly top-ranked.
5. AB de Villiers has retained top spot in ICC ODI rankings overtaking David Warner of Australia.
Indian Captain Virat Kohli remained unchanged at 3rd position.
Rohit Sharma at 12th position.
Mahendra Singh Dhoni at 13th position follow Kohli.
Among the bowlers, Axar Patel was the best-placed Indian at the 11th position.
6. The Indian Woman’s Ice Hockey team recorded its first ever international win at the 2017 IIHF Challenge Cup of Asia.
They beat the Philippines 4-3 in the Challenge Cup of Asia at Bangkok, Thailand.
Awards & Recognition
1. Eminent Malayalam author and journalist M P Veerendra Kumar was presented the 30th Moortidevi award by Bharatiya Jnanpith organization.
Kumar was chosen for the prestigious award for his Malayalam travelogue Hymavathabhoovil.
The book highlights environmental concerns over “fragile mountain ecosystem” and calls for action over lack of water resources and waste disposal systems.
2. Indian Institute of Technology-Madras has won the 2017 IEEE Spectrum Technology in the Service of Society Award for its solar-direct current (DC) inverter system.
The system, developed using micro grid technology, converts in-home power distribution from 230V Analog Current to 48V DC to directly power appliances and devices.
3. President Pranab Mukherjee presented the Nari Shakti Puraskar 2016 at a ceremony in New Delhi on the occasion of International Women’s Day 2017.
Some of the awardees of this year are scientists Anatta Sonney, B Codanayaguy and Subhu Varier.
The Nari Shakti Puraskar carries a cash award of Rs.1 Lakh and a certificate for individuals and institutions.
4. Eminent Konkani writer Mahabaleshwar Sail has been honoured with the 26th Saraswati Samman 2016 for his novel Hawthan.
The award carries a cash prize of 15 lakhs and a citation.
Goa-based Sail is a renowned bi-lingual writer who has four Marathi dramas and seven Konkani novels to his credit.
Books & Authors
1. The book titled Rekha: The Untold Story authored by Yasser Usman was published.
The book that was published in August 2016 by Juggernaut suddenly came into news after few reports claimed that Rekha was secretly married to Sanjay Dutt.
2.The book titled The Rise of Sivagami: Book 1 of Baahubali – Before the Beginning was released and will be available to readers beginning on 15th March 2017.
The book was written by the noted author Anand Neelakanthan.
As per the author, it is a tale of intrigue, power, revenge and betrayal.
Mergers & Acquisitions
1. Payments platform PayPal has announced an extension of its merchant partnership with MakeMyTrip.
The partnership with MakeMyTrip will help foreign tourists continue to enjoy the seamless and secure PayPal experience to book hotels and holiday packages.
Appointments & Resignations
1. Former Indian Captain Bhaichung Bhutia is no longer advisor to both the AIFF and President Praful Patel.
Bhutia was roped in as advisor two years back and has since then been instrumental in bringing India coach Stephen Constantine back and also extending his contract till February 2018.
2. Oil and gas experts Melody Meyer and Atul Gupta were appointed as advisors of Hydrocarbons Major Cairn India.
As advisors, they will provide strategic direction and delivery focus to Cairn India.
3. Former Utah Republican Governor Jon Huntsman was appointed as US Ambassador to Russia.
Earlier, Huntsman had served as US Ambassador to China under former President Barack Obama.
4. Donald Tusk has been re-elected as President of the European Council for a second term of two and a half years.
He has been re-elected from 1 June 2017 to 30 November 2019.
He won the elections despite objections from the government of his own country, Poland.
5. South Korean President Park Geun-hye has been removed from office with impeachment.
As per the law of the country, Park’s successor must be elected within 60 days.
At present, Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn is serving as the acting President of the country.
6. Shri Narendra Kumar, has appointed as Chairman of Central Water Commission (CWC).
He has served in various capacities in CWC as Assistant Director in Design Organisation, Deputy Director in Project Appraisal Directorate and Director in Dam Safety Organisation and Project Monitoring Directorate.
Economics & Banking GK
1. The GST Council meeting approved the final draft of Central GST (CGST) and Inter-State GST (IGST) laws.
The approval of CGST and IGST laws is considered as significant step towards meeting the 1st July, 2017 deadline for rolling out of the Goods and Services Tax (GST).
2. State Bank of India has decided to resume the charge on savings account holders for failing to maintain the monthly average balance in their accounts from 1st April 2017.
Monthly average balance that customers will have to maintain in their savings bank accounts in SBI branches in metropolitan areas is Rs 5,000.
In case the shortfall in the monthly average balance is below 50 per cent, then a charge of Rs 50 plus service tax will be levied.
3. The Trade Mark Rules, 2017 came into effect on 6 March 2017.
This will replace the erstwhile Trade Mark Rules, 2002 and streamline and simplify the processing of Trade Mark applications.
The number of Trade Mark (TM) forms has been brought down to eight from existing 74.
4. Haryana Finance Minister Captain Abhimanyu presented the State annual budget for 2017-18 in the legislative assembly.
The total size of the budget was pegged at over Rs 1,02,329 crore for the fiscal year 2017-18.
The proposal comprises 21.88 per cent as capital expenditure of Rs 22,393.51 crore and 78.12 per cent as revenue expenditure of Rs 79,935.84 crore.
5. Global rating agency Fitch said Indian economy will grow by 7.1 per cent in the current fiscal before stepping up to 7.7 per cent in the next two financial years.
6. State Bank of India has launched a new policy Work from Home to enable its employees to work from home.
The policy enable its employees to work while at home using mobile devices to address any urgent requirement they may have, that prevents their travelling to work.
7. The Pension Fund and Regulatory Development Authority (PFRDA) unveiled certain rules for transfer of funds from recognized provident and superannuation funds to the National Pension System (NPS).
As per the rules of PFRDA, funds transferred from Provident Fund to the National Pension System will not be taxable.
8. Chief minister Vasundhara Raje presented Rajasthan Budget 2017. Few of the points of the Budget are.
No change in VAT except 15% increase on tobacco products.
Home department to get Rs 5,600 crore which is 11.80% more than the previous year.
158.63 crore allocated for art, culture and archaeology department which is 49.42% more than the Revised Estimates of 2016-17.
2 crore allocated for 25 lac bigger plants, provision of Rs. 3 crore for development of 5 Smriti Van.
Rs 1,399 crore allotted for higher education in the budget, Karauli and Bharatpur will get new engineering colleges.
9. Karur Vysya Bank (KVB) launched three technology services for the benefit of customers, FASTag, United Payments Interface (UPI), Bharat Bill Payment System (BBPS).
10. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will soon issue new Rs.10 currency notes with enhanced security features, the old notes will still be valid.
RBI will shortly issue Rs.10 denomination banknotes in the Mahatma Gandhi Series-2005 with inset letter ‘L’ in both the number panels, bearing the signature of Dr. Urjit R. Patel, and the year of printing ‘2017.
11. The Employees’ Provident Fund Organization extended the last date for submission of digital life certificate through Jeevan Pramaan Patra (JPP) up to 31st March 2017 under Employees’ Pension Scheme (EPS).
Earlier the last date was 28th February 2017.
12. Delhi State Finance Minister, Manish Sisodia presented the State annual budget for the period 2017-18 in the state’s legislative assembly.
The budget has been proposed at 48000 crores, which is 16.5 per cent higher than the Revised Estimates of ₹41200 crores in 2016-17.
The Outcome Budget will be put up on the Delhi government’s website by 31st March 2017.
Bills – New & Amendments
1. Parliament has passed the Maternity Benefits (Amendment) Bill, 2016 to raise maternity leave for working women from 12 weeks to 26 weeks for two surviving children.
It was passed in the Lok Sabha and already has been passed in the Rajya Sabha.
India will be in third position in terms of the number of weeks allowed for maternity leave in the world after Norway (44 weeks) and Canada (50).
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)
1. Google India and Telangana government have signed a MoU aimed at supporting the digitization efforts of the state.
Google India will provide Google Cloud credits and access to all cloud platform products to eligible startups engaged with Telangana government’s T-Hub initiative.
2. The Union Cabinet approved the signing of MoU between India and the United Nations Entity of Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN-Women).
The MoU seeks to provide technical support to the Ministry of Panchayati Raj to better leverage opportunities created for gender equality through legislation, policies and programmes.
3. The Union Cabinet approved MoU between India and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in the field of energy efficiency services.
The MoU paves the way for collaboration between the National Productivity Council (NPC) and Al Etihad Energy Services UAE in the field of energy management and conservation.
4. India and Belgium has signed a protocol in New Delhi.
The protocol will amend the existing agreement and protocol between the two countries for Avoidance of Double Taxation and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with respect to Taxes on Income.
The signed protocol will help the Union Government in its fight against the black money that is stashed in the offshore accounts.
Science & Technology
1. The Hubble Space Telescope (HST) has captured an image of an incredibly massive galaxy dubbed as UGC 12591 that is 400 million light years away from the Earth.
It is situated in the westernmost region of the Pisces-Perseus Supercluster, one of the largest known structures in the cosmos.
2. The European Union (EU) launched the fifth Satellite of the Copernicus observation program from Europe’s spaceport in French Guiana.
The Sentinel-2B satellite is a part of Sentinel Earth observation satellites, a system of satellites that monitors Earth.
It will cut the time of imaging the earth by half and will ensure speedy provision of images of land, oceans and waterways.
3. India will organize its first Mobile World Congress in September with a special focus on reaching out to the South East Asian markets.
There is Mobile World Congress in Barcelona and an edition in Shanghai.
1. 8th March is celebrated as International Women’s Day, an event held around the world to commemorate the struggle for women’s rights.
It was first celebrated on 28th February 1909, in New York in remembrance of a 1908 strike of the International Ladies’ Garment Workers’ Union.
The 2017 theme is “Be bold for change”.
Recent Notable Deaths
1. Dr. Thomas E Starzl, a surgeon who performed the first successful liver transplant on a human patient, passed away in Pittsburgh. He was 90.
He had been affiliated with the university since 1981.
2. Eminent socialist leader, former Union Minister and former Speaker of Lok Sabha Rabi Ray passed away in Cuttack. He was 91.
He was first elected to the Lok Sabha in 1967, from the Puri parliamentary constituency, and was the leader of the Samyukta Socialist Party in the Lok Sabha.
3. Veteran journalist Arvind Padmanabhan, Executive Editor at IANS, died of cardiac arrest.
Padmanabhan, who would have turned 50 next month, breathed his last at the Holy Family Hospital.
Important Abbreviations used in this Article
|NUEPA||National University of Educational Planning and Administration|
|SAIL||Steel Authority of India Limited’s|
|GBBC||Great Backyard Bird Count|
|CBSE||Central Board of Secondary education|
|NEBS||North East Business Summit|
|WJFAC||Water Jet Fast Attack Craft|
|GRSE||Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers|
|MEITY||Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology|
|CCEA||Cabinet Committee on Economic Affair|
|PFRDA||Pension Fund and Regulatory Development Authority|
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge. Share the article with your friends if you find it informative.
For more updates about General Awareness and Competitive Exams stay connected to our social media channels:
Image Courtesy: Google Images