Read current affairs online with GK Eduwrap. It covers the last week current affairs in a comprehensive manner ensuring you prepare confidently for the general awareness for bank exams.
National – Across the India:
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the 12th edition of International Oil and Gas Conference and Exhibition “Petrotech-2016” in New Delhi on 5 December 2016.
The 2016 theme is “Hydrocarbons to fuel the future – Choices and Challenges”.
2. Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) has launched a unique platform called ‘Startup Mentorship Circle’.
It will help in connecting start-ups with the global marketplace.
3. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the first International Agro-biodiversity Congress in New Delhi.
The 4-day Congress (from 6th to 9th November 2016) will be attended by 900 delegates from 60 countries to discuss conservation of genetic resources.
4. Construction major Hindustan Construction Company (HCC) became India’s first firm to get debt recast under RBI’s new Scheme for Sustainable Structuring of Stressed Assets (S4A).
The RBI-mandated Overseeing Committee (OC) under the S4A has approved HCC’s Rs. 5,000-crore debt recast passed by an ICICI Bank-led joint lender forum in September 2016.
5. Magnetospheric Multiscale (MMS) mission of NASA has set the Guinness world record for highest altitude fix of a Global Positioning System (GPS) signal.
Operating in a highly elliptical orbit around Earth, the MMS satellites set the record at 43,500 miles above the surface.
6. The surprise announcement by PM Narendra Modi of demonetization of two currency units.
INR 500 and INR 1000 will be no longer legal tender from 8th November 2016 mid night.
[Read Full Story] Govt demonetizes Rs 500, 1000 Notes: Crucial Step to Curb Black Money!
7. China has decided to block India’s bid for Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) membership.
China says that India’s membership and also of Pakistan will be considered only after rules for the entry of non-Nuclear Proliferation Treaty (NPT) countries is finalized by the elite group.
8. Indian Army has completed Demchok mission.
Under this mission Indian Army worked on laying an irrigation pipeline in the Demchok region of Eastern Ladakh.
9. The Government has launched Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas yojana.
It will train the youth of India for better employment.
10. Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, JP Nadda has launched “Healthy India Initiative” magazine and “No More Tension” Mobile Application.
It will prioritize public health and strengthen citizen-centric health services by leveraging India’s expanding mobile phone penetration.
11. The first International Agrobiodiversity Congress (IAC) held in New Delhi has adopted New Delhi Declaration on Agrobiodiversity Management.
The Key Features of Declaration are as follows:
12. The growing power of Indian community in the US was seen once again.
The Hindi language has found a place on ‘Thank You’ note in US president election.
The receipts were in four language – English, Spanish, Chinese and *Hindi.
13. Union HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar inaugurated the world’s largest digital national building initiative “Smart India Hackathon 2017”.
It is aimed at reaching out to all technology institutions in India and challenge students to offer innovative solutions to the daunting problems faced by our nation.
International – Across the Globe:
1. National Security Advisors of India and Japan held bilateral consultations in New Delhi.
They shared a view that the Special Strategic and Global Partnership between the two countries is a key partnership for promoting peace, prosperity and development in the region and the world.
2. 9th Annual Meeting of International Regulatory Cooperation for Herbal Medicines (IRCH) was inaugurated in New Delhi.
The objective of IRCH meeting is to globally promote and facilitate the safe use of herbal medicines, through regional initiatives, sharing information and fostering dialogue.
3. The High-Level Meeting of Interior Ministers of Indian Ocean Region (IOR) to Counter Drug Trafficking was held in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
It had adopted Colombo declaration.
The delegates from 18 littoral states of the IOR took resolution to make the region a “Drug Free Zone”.
4. The Competition Commission of India was selected to host ICN 2018 Annual Conference.
The Conference will be held at Delhi in March–April 2018.
5. India has been ranked 2nd on the global scale for business optimism.
The ranks were announced by the latest Grant Thornton International Business Report.
Indonesia took the top spot, with the Philippines coming in third.
1. India prevailed 3-2 over Pakistan to reclaim the Asian Champions Trophy hockey title.
This was the first time the teams were meeting in the final of a continental tournament since India dethroned Pakistan as the Asian Games champions in Incheon, South Korea in 2014.
2. Karandeep Kochhar stunned the heavyweights to become the youngest golfer and first Indian amateur to win on the PGTI presented by Tollygunge Club.
He bettered Shubhankar Sharma’s feat in Kochi two years ago when he had won at the age of 17 years and eight months.
3. For 2017, India will host 20-20 Blind World Cup next year.
It will begin on 31st January in New Delhi and the final will be played in Bangalore on 12th February.
Rahul Dravid is the brand ambassador for the tournament.
4. Andy Murray has become the world’s number one men’s tennis player.
See below some more significant moments of his career:
US Open Junior Title (September 2004)
First ATP Tour final (September 2005)
Maiden ATP Tour title (February 2006)
Top-10 debut (April 2007)
US Open breakthrough (September 2008)
First Wimbledon final (July 2012)
Olympic gold (August 2012)
A grand slam title, at last (September 2012)
Wimbledon glory (July 2013)
Davis Cup heroics (November 2015)
Fifth Melbourne final (January 2016)
French Open final (June 2016)
Second Wimbledon title (July 2016)
Olympic gold again (August 2016)
World number one (November 2016)
5. Mumbai’s Western Railways women’s team won the 33rd Indian Oil Servo Surjit Hockey Tournament.
6. Robin Peterson, former South Africa and County Championship spin bowler has announced his retirement from cricket with immediate effect.
He started his international career in Champions Trophy 2002.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Madhya Pradesh Government has selected renowned theatre personality Prof. Raj Bisaria for the prestigious ‘Kalidas Samman’ national award for 2015-16.
He is best known for blending artistic concepts of the East and the West and the traditional and the modern.
The Press Trust of India (PTI) describes him as the father of the modern theatre in North India.
2. Former world number one Roger Federer won the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award at the ATP awards.
He has awarded the title for the 12th time in his career.
3. Amitav Ghosh will be awarded Tata Literature Live Lifetime Achievement Award.
The award will be given to him at the upcoming Tata Literature Live on 20th November 2016.
4. The Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) has won the prestigious 2016 Golden Peacock Award for Corporate Governance.
The award was given during the 16th London Global Convention on Corporate Governance and Sustainability in London, UK.
The award was received by Ashwini Kumar, CEO of Rourkela Steel Plant (RSP) on behalf of SAIL.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Indian lawyer, Aniruddha Rajput has been elected as a member International Law Commission (ILC).
He is the first Indian nominee chosen from outside the close circuit of lawyers of the Union Ministry of External Affairs.
2. National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) will appoint BJP Vice President Avinash Rai Khanna as a member of NHRC.
3. The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has appointed Shri S.K. Sinha, IPS (BH: 83), Additional Director, IB to the post of Special Director, Intelligence Bureau.
4. M. Rajeshwar Rao has been appointed as RBI executive director.
He has given the responsibilities of the Department of Statistics and Information Management, Financial markets Operations Department and International Department.
5. Central Registry of Securitization Asset Reconstruction and Security Interest of Indiahas appointed Praveen Kumar Sharma as CEO, MD and central Registrar.
6. Donald Trump has been elected 45th President of United States.
He will be the first President of USA without political experience since Dwight D. Eisenhower (34th President).
He will succeed Barack Obama and is scheduled to take office as the President of the USA on 20 January 2017.
7. Tata Consultancy Services has appointed Ishaat Hussain as the Chairman.
Last month, Mistry was ousted as chairman of Tata Sons in a surprise move, and was replaced by Ratan Tata as interim chair.
8. California’s Attorney General Kamala Harris created history by becoming the first India-American to win the US Senate (upper chamber) seat from the state.
She defeated fellow Democrat Loretta Sanchez from her own party.
She will replace Barbara Boxer who had announced her retirement in 2014 after serving more than two decades in the Senate.
9. Guy Ryder was re-elected as the Director-General of the International Labour Organisation (ILO) for another five-year term.
He will assume the post on 1 October 2017.
10. Gurumoorthy Mahalingam took charge as Full-Time Member of SEBI and will be responsible for leading the following:
Integrated Surveillance Department
Investment Management Department
Enforcement Department (ED)
Foreign Portfolio Investors and Custodians
Collective Investment Schemes
Department of Economic and Policy Analysis
11. A top Chinese security minister Meng Hongwei has been elected president of the international crime fighting and police cooperation organization Interpol.
He is the first Chinese personnel to be appointed to the post and took charge immediately.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The Centre has fined Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) and its partners BP and Niko slapped a nearly Rs.10000 crore.
The fine is levied due to pumping out gas that flowed to the Krishna Godavari-D6 Block from an adjoining field owned by ONGC.
2. The Indian Steel Association (ISA) has asked the Central Government not to impose any anti-dumping duty on Metallurgical Coke (met coke) fearing cost escalation of their products.
A levy of anti-dumping duty on met coke will have a cost-push effect on the steel sector.
It will fuel further the cost of steel making, resulting in an increase in the cost of finished steel.
3. Google Capital, the search giant’s venture arm that invests in growth-stage companies, has changed its name to “CapitalG”.
The old GoogleCapital.com domain now forwards to CapitalG.com.
4. RBI has issued new series of currency.
It includes INR 500 and INR 2000 notes with new features and size.
5. Asian Development Bank granted loan of 48 million dollars to Assam to improve power distribution.
It will be used to enhance capacity and efficiency of its power distribution system to improve electricity service to end user.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. DRDO has signed a MoU with IIT Delhi to establish a Joint Advanced Technology Centre (JATC).
The JATC will be located in the campus of IIT Delhi at the upcoming Science and Technology Park (Mini-Science Park ‘MSP’).
2. India and Sri Lanka have agreed to set up a Joint Working Group (JWG) on Fisheries and hotline between their Coast Guards to address long-standing issue of fishermen from Tamil Nadu.
These mechanisms aim to help find a permanent solution to the fishermen issues.
3. India and UK has signed 2 MoU. The fields of the agreement are:
Intellectual property (IP).
Bilateral cooperation on raising ease of doing business.
4. Corporation Bank has signed a MoU with the Indian Army on the defense salary package.
As per the MoU Corporation Bank would provide free services to the Army.
5. Maharashtra government has signed an agreement with Canada.
The MoU was about implementing a joint action plan on urban infrastructure development in the state.
6. India and Japan have signed ten agreements to boost the bilateral cooperation between the two nations. Agreements signed are as follows:
Agreement for Cooperation in Peaceful uses of Nuclear Energy
Memorandum of Cooperation (MOC) on the Manufacturing Skill Transfer Promotion Program
MoU on Cooperation in the Field of Outer Space
MoU on Mutual Collaboration in Marine and Earth Science and Technology
MoC in the Field of Agriculture and Food Related Industry
MoU for Transport and Urban Development
MoU in the Field of Textiles
MOC in the Field of Cultural Exchange
MoC on Cooperation in Sports
MOU between Gujarat and Hyogo Prefectural Government
Science & Technology:
1. India’s first banking robot was launched by the Kumbakonam-based City Union Bank (CUB) in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
It was named Lakshmi.
It will be first on-site humanoid (robot) in India.
2. NASA’s Infrared Telescope Facility (IRTF) has observed Presence of water on Psyche.
Psyche is the largest metallic asteroid in our solar system.
3. Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas, Shri Dharmendra Pradhan has launched first Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) fueled bus in Kerala.
It has been a joint effort of Petronet LNG Limited (PLL), Indian Oil Corporation Ltd and Tata Motors Ltd to introduce LNG as a fuel in commercial vehicles in the state capital.
1. The 128th birth anniversary of Nobel laureate Bharat Ratna Sir CV Raman was observed on 7th November, 2016.
He had discovered Raman Effect, a scientific phenomenon of scattering of light which makes the sea and clear sky look blue that earned him the 1930 Nobel Prize for Physics.
He was the first recipient of the Bharat Ratna along with politician C. Rajagopalachari, and philosopher Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan.
2. The World Science Day for Peace and Development was observed on 10th November 2016 across the world.
It was celebrated to raise awareness of benefits of science in our daily life.
2016 Theme was “Celebrating Science Centres and Science Museums”.
1. Janet Reno, the first woman to be appointed as Attorney General of US, died. She was 78.
She was battling with Parkinson’s disease.
In 1978 Reno was appointed State Attorney for Dade County (now called Miami-Dade County).
Important Abbreviations Used in this Article
|CII||Confederation of Indian Industry|
|HCC||Hindustan Construction Company|
|GPS||Global Positioning System|
|NSG||Nuclear Suppliers Group|
|IAC||International Agrobiodiversity Congress|
|IRCH||International Regulatory Cooperation for Herbal Medicines|
|SAIL||Steel Authority of India Limited|
|NHRC||National Human Rights Commission|
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge. Share the article with your friends if you find it informative.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB etc. If you have any query, please post then in the comment box given below. We are always there for your assistance.
For more updates about General Awareness and Competitive Exams stay connected to our social media channels:
Image Courtesy: Google Images