UGC previous year questions on Charles Dickens
1 . Little Nell is a character in Dickens’s
(A) Hard Times
(B) Great Expectations
(C) Oliver Twist
(D) The Old Curiosity Shop
2. Put the following novels by Charles Dickens in a sequential order with the help of the code:
1. Great Expectations
2. Hard Times
3. Bleak House
4. A Tale of Two Cities
(A) 3, 2, 4, 1
(B) 2, 4, 3, 1
(C) 1, 2, 4, 3
(D) 4, 2, 1, 3
3. The two ‘mother-figures’ in Dickens’s Great Expectations are
II. Miss Havisham
III. Mrs Joe
The right combination according to the code is:
(A) II and III are correct.
(B) I and II are correct.
(C) III and IV are correct.
(D) I and III are correct.
4. A close friend of Dickens objected to the original ending of Great Expectations in which Estella remarries and Pip remains single. Dickens accordingly revised to a more conventional ending which suggests that Pip and Estella will marry. Who was the friend?
(A) Willkie Collins
(B) Thomas Beard
(C) Thomas Carlyle
(D) Richard Bentley
5. Towards the end of Evelyn Waugh’s A Handful of Dust the protagonist Tony Last is trapped in the jungle
by the calculating crazy Mr. Todd who forces him to read and reread the novels of a particular author. Waugh has also written a short story dealing with Tony’s singular experience in the jungle. Who is the novelist referred to
and what is the title of the short story ?
(1) Rudyard Kipling, “Revisiting the Jungle”
(2) Joseph Conrad, “Shadows of the Dark Trees”
(3) Charles Dickens, “The Man Who Liked Dickens”
(4) Henry Fielding, “Tom Jones’s Journey into the Wild”
6. Which of the following is not true of the novels of Charles Dickens ?
(1) They deal with the problems of the discontents of
an urban civilization.
(2) The plots are strikingly tight-knit.
(3) They share a sense of fun and determining optimism.
(4) They incorporate elements of popular contemporary culture.
7. Who among the following English artists illustrated the novels of Dickens and Scott?
(A) Richard Hogarth
(B) Joshua Reynolds
(C) George Cruishank
(D) John Tennial
8. Charles Dickens’s visit to the United States produced _________.
(A) Hard Times (B) Nicholas Nickleby
(C) Martin Chuzzlewit (D) Oliver Twist
do provide the answer