Bihar Governor, Ram Nath Kovind, who was born on 1st October 1945, has now become the popular face after getting elected as the 14th President of India.
Bhartiya Janta Party Chief Amit Shah has announced the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) Presidential Candidate Ram Nath Kovind as India’s New President. He will succeed Pranab Mukherjee whose term will end on 24th July 2017. Ram Nath Kovind will be sworn in as India’s 14th President on 25th July 2017.
Mr. Kovind secured 65.6% votes and defeated his opponent Miera Kumar, former Lok Sabha Speaker who secured 34% votes.
An ideal Presidential candidate must possess some traits which make him the best candidate to hold the India’s President’s post.
Let’s Know what are the qualities, Ram Nath Kovind possess that made him next President of India.
1. Ram Nath Kovind is a Dalit Leader who belongs to Kanpur and was born in Paraukh village in the Kanpur Dehat district, Uttar Pradesh.
2. He married to Smt. Savita Kovind on 30th May 1974.
3. He was the President of BJP Dalit Front, President of India Koli Society and representative of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in IIM-Calcutta.
4. He is the second Dalit leader after K R Narayanan. He entered the politics in the year 1994 and got elected as the Rajya Sabha member from Uttar Pradesh.
Please have a look at what Ram Nath Kovind emphasized in his acceptance speech:
It has been raining since morning in Delhi. This weather reminds me of my childhood days when I used to live in my ancestral village. We lived in a 'kuccha' house made of mud. The thatched roof couldn't stop the water trickles during the rainy season. I, along with my brothers and sisters, used to stand in a corner and wait for the rain to stop.
There would be many such Ram Nath Kovinds who are getting drenched in the rain. Many would be working hard in farms and elsewhere to earn their livelihood in this rain. They would be shedding sweat to earn the night's meal.
Today, I wish to tell them that Ram Nath Kovind of Paraunkh village is going to [the official presidential residence] Rashtrapati Bhavan as their representative.
5. Kovind was elected twice to Rajya Sabha from Uttar Pradesh in 1994-2000 and 2000-2006.
6. Educational Career: Ram Nath Kovind completed his school education from Khanpur and his Graduation in Law and Commerce from DAV College, Kanpur.
He then prepared for Civil Services Exams and cleared the exam in his third attempt. Later, he left the job as he was selected in Allied Services.
Kovind was nominated as a lawyer in Delhi Bar Council in 1971. He then started his career as a lawyer in Supreme Court from 1980 to 1993 and later became the Private Secretary of the then Prime Minister Morarji Desai.
7. He represented India in United Nations in New York and in October 2002, he addressed United Nations General Assembly.
8. He laid emphasis on the development of basic infrastructure for Education in Rural Areas and helped in the construction of school buildings in Uttar Pradesh and Uttrakhand under MPLAD (Member of Parliament Local Area Development) Scheme.
9. Ram Nath Kovind worked as a member of several important parliamentary committees on Welfare of Scheduled Castes / Scheduled Tribes, Committee on Home Affairs, Parliamentary Committee on Petroleum and Natural Gas, Committee on Social Justice and Empowerment and worked on Parliamentary Committee on Law and Justice.
10. He worked as a Board Member at Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar University in Lucknow and served as a National Spokesperson of Bhartiya Janta Party.
11. He became the Governor of Bihar on 8th August 2015.
12. He has donated his ancestral house to the villagers of his native village (Paraunkh village) as a “Marriage Hall or Community Hall”.
In 2010, Kovind elected as a Spokesperson of BJP and said that Islam and Christianity were alien to India. He made this comment in response to the Ranganath Misra Commission which recommended 15 percent reservation for religious and linguistic minorities in government jobs.
Want to know more about Ram Nath Kovind? Watch this video for more details.
Are you happy with the Indian Government’s decision to appoint Ram Nath Kovind as the new President of India?
We would like to hear your generous reviews, please share them in the comments box below.
Also, share the above information with your friends and help them to be aware of the major appointment in Indian Government.
You can also connect with us via our social media channels.