Are you all set to appear in IIT JEE?
WAIT!! Did you check its eligibility criteria?
‘Aspiring something & not knowing whether you’re eligible to do it or not can distract you from choosing the right career option for you.’ So, make sure you know the IIT JEE Mains Eligibility Criteria 2018 before you begin to aspire it.
Well, you don’t need to worry about anything when you’re at Eduncle! To quench all your queries and show up the right direction to you, we are going to present you detailed JEE Mains 2018 Eligibility Criteria through this blog.
Below, we have covered all the important aspects & queries that you might face while applying for JEE Mains. Let’s have a look!
IIT JEE Mains 2018 Eligibility Criteria | Marks, No. of Attempts & Age Limit Details
To make it easy for you, we’ve divided the Eligibility Criteria for JEE Mains 2018 into various aspects. Please read them carefully & set yourself prepared to appear in the JEE Mains Exam.
Tip – Bookmark the JEE Mains 2018 Date Page for staying updated with latest notification & updates by officials.
1. Nationality & Citizenship
It doesn’t matter whether you’re Indian Citizen or from Foreign Nationals, you might be eligible for JEE Mains, if you fulfill the below criteria –
Indian Citizen can apply.
NRIs, PIOs, OCIs & Foreign national candidates can also apply.
2. Age Limit & Date of Birth
Please check out the IIT JEE Mains Eligibility 2018 Criteria based on the age limit for General/OBC/ST/SC/PWD Categories.
For General & OBC:
As per the JEE Main Eligibility 2018, the candidates must have born after 1st October 1993 i.e. they must not age more than 24 Years while appearing in the exam.
The eligibility criteria for JEE Mains 2018 says that the candidates belonging to any of these categories – ST, SC, PWD can be benefitted with 5 Years of Age Relaxation.
This means that they must have born after 1st October 1988 (Upper Age Limit – 29 Years) to appear in the exam.
3. Year of Appearance in 12th Class/Diploma Degree/Equivalent Exam
We have classified the ‘IIT JEE Mains 2018 Eligibility Criteria – Years of Appearance’ in 3 categories based on their Educational Qualification. Please check below –
12th Class/Equivalent Exam Passed Out Candidates in 2016/2017.
12th Class/Equivalent Exam Appearing Candidates in 2018.
Diploma Holders who have already passed or are in their final year of pursuing Degree.
Which are the Equivalent Exams to appear in JEE Mains?
1. 12th Board Exam
2. Intermediate or 2 Year Pre-University Examination recognized by a Board/University
3. Final Examination of 2 Year Course of Joint Services Wing of NDA.
4. NIOS (National Institute of Open Schooling) Senior Secondary School Examination
5. Any School/Board/University Exam in India/Foreign Country recognized by Associate of Indian Universities (AIU).
List of JEE Mains Eligible Examination recognized by IITs
1. S.C. Vocational Examination
2. AICTE Recognized Diploma Course of at least 3 Years Duration
3. General Certificate Education (GCE) Examination (London/Cambridge/Sri Lanka)
4. S.C. Exam of Cambridge University
5. International Baccalaureate Diploma from Geneva
The candidates who had appeared in 12th Class/Equivalent Test in 2015 or before are not eligible.
The candidates who had failed in 12th Class/Equivalent Test in 2015 and passed the exam in 2016 are also not eligible for JEE Mains 2018 Exam.
The Diploma Degree holders are not eligible for admission to NITs/CFTIs after qualifying Mains. They must appear in JEE Advanced 2018 & qualify it to become eligible for admission to Engineering Programs.
The Diploma Degree holders will be treated as 12th Qualified only.
In case the candidates fail in any subject in 12th Class and he/she gives the improvement exam next year, then it is mandatory to give the exam for all the 5 subjects. The Authorities will consider the best performance in any of the two subjects of improvement exam.
If any candidate, who has qualified the 12th, wishes to appear in improvement exam for some selected subject, then his/her 12th Marks of the previous year will only be considered in JEE Main.
4. No. of Subjects in the Qualifying Examination
As stated in the Eligibility Criteria for JEE Mains 2018 Brochure, the candidates must have studied at least 5 Subjects in their 12th Class/Diploma Degree Course on any other equivalent exam.
5. No. of Attempts
The exam authorities have set a rule regarding JEE Main 2018 Eligibility Criteria that the candidates will only be able to appear in the exam for 3 times. This means that any candidate can avail only 3 chances to give the JEE Mains Exam.
6. JEE Main Eligibility Marks
As per the JEE Main Eligibility Marks & Percentage Criteria, the candidates who have scored more than 75% or be in Top 20 Percentile in respective Board can only appear in IIT JEE 2018.
In case of ST/SC/PWD Candidates, the percentage criteria will be 65%.
The CBSE 12th Result 2018 will be out soon! If you’ve appeared in the exam, you must check out the blog to know the result declaration procedure & evaluation criteria.
IIT JEE Main 2018 Eligibility Criteria for Droppers
The candidates who have dropped a year for exam preparation must have a look at the important aspects of IIT JEE Main Eligibility Criteria for Droppers 2018.
The drop out candidates must also follow the same rules as stated in the above points. But to give them a wise idea, we have come up with a quick glance of IIT JEE Mains Eligibility Criteria 2018.
|S. No.||Eligibility for JEE Mains 2017||Eligibility Criteria|
|1.||Upper Age Limit||General/OBC: 24 Years|
|ST/SC/PWD: 29 Years|
|2.||Qualifying Year of 12th Class/Diploma/Equivalent Degree||2016 or 2017|
|3.||Min. Required Percentage||General/OBC: 75%|
|3.||No. of Subjects in Last Qualifying Test||5|
If the dropout students have appeared in IIT JEE Exam earlier, then the total no. of attempts will be reduced accordingly.
|Ask Eduncle – If you have any queries regarding IIT JEE Eligibility Criteria for Mains 2018 Exam, please ask them in the comments box below!|
5 Things to Keep in Mind while Reading JEE Main Eligibility 2018!
Appearing in JEE Exams is not as easy as it seems. It requires lots of things to be taken care of. Please check which are those 5 things that the candidates must keep in mind while checking up their JEE Main 2018 Eligibility Criteria!
1. Carefully Read all the instructions given above.
2. The candidates must also be aware of the eligibility for taking admission into various Institutes.
3. The Mains qualified candidates do not automatically become eligible for admission into IITs/NITs/CFTIs.
4. The applying candidates must have a valid Aadhar Card. Without Aadhar Card, they won’t be eligible to apply for the exam.
5. Since the states of Madhya Pradesh, Nagaland and Odisha have joined JEE (Main) system from 2014. The age limit, for admission to institutions in these states which were earlier admitting candidates based on their state level examinations, will be as per their past practice only.
The number of attempts in such cases will also remain same as per their past practice. This will, however, be obviously not applicable for admission to IITs/NITs/IIITs/CFTIs.
6. Candidates Seeking Admission to the Institutions in the States of Gujarat Madhya Pradesh Nagaland and Odisha, which were earlier admitting based on their State Level Examination, are also advised to verify their Eligibility as per criteria laid down by these State Governments.
7. Transgender Candidates can apply in ‘Others’ Category.
Check out the Instructions for – IIT JEE Mains Online Application Procedure 2018!
Dear Aspirants, above, we have listed all the factors & queries related to JEE Mains 2018 Eligibility. Still, if you have any queries or confusion regarding the eligibility criteria or applicability, please ask us in the comments section below!
Hope you liked reading the above post. Please share it with your friends to help them in getting the relevant information.
Thanks for Reading!