Many students pursue their career as Lecturer or Researcher as these are the most reputed jobs in India. If you want to get these posts then, you must know that an Assistant Professor or JRF job comes with lots of responsibilities and prestigious roles.
University Grant Commission, a statutory body of MHRD, maintains the standard of Lectureship/research.
As per UGC Rules and Regulations, the authorities look after the functionality of college operations, recruitment of UGC NET qualified professors/researchers and release funds for the same. If you are aiming to appear for UGC NET Exam, it is necessary to have a brief knowledge of UGC Guidelines 2021 for the lecturers or other teaching staff.
Below are the UGC Regulations 2021 for Assistant Professor and Research Fellows for the maintenance of standards in higher education and revision of pay scales.
In this article, you will find: -
This section includes the details of UGC Rules and Regulations regarding qualification, appointment, promotion, etc. for assistant professor and other teaching staff.
According to the UGC Regulation 2021, the minimum eligibility criteria for the assistant professor, JRF or equivalent posts in the UGC Approved Universities are as follows:
SET/SLET qualified, NET certificates and a Masters degree.
Minimum 55% marks in post-graduation for the recruitment of teachers or PhD programs in universities or colleges.
A person whose M.Phil thesis has been evaluated and viva voce is pending, may admit to the PhD program of the same institution.
Note - If you have a PhD degree (before 2009), then you will be exempted from the requirement of NET/ SLET/ SET for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professor or equivalent positions in Universities.
To know the eligibility criteria, qualifications and other recruitment information for Assistant Professor and JRF as per UGC Regulation 2021, you may visit our blog: UGC NET Eligibility
If you meet the required eligibility, then you must check the details of selection procedure for the assistant professor and other teaching staff, given below.
As per the guidelines for appointment of Assistant Professor 2021, selection committee in the universities shall have following members:
1. Vice-Chancellor shall be the Chairperson of the Selection Committee.
2. If required, an academician can be nominated by the Visitor/Chancellor.
3. Three experts of the concerned subject nominated by the Vice-Chancellor whose names are approved by the relevant statutory body of the university.
4. Dean of the concerned faculty (Not compulsory).
5. Head/ Chairperson of the Department/ School.
6. An academician, representing SC/ST/OBC/Minority/Women/PwD categories, only if any of the above members of the selection committee do not belong to that category.
7. At least four members, including two outsiders, subject experts shall constitute the quorum.
1. To be selected, latest UGC Guidelines for an assistant professor says that you must submit the bio-data in prescribed format of the respective university along with a copy of significant publications.
2. As per the UGC New Guidelines 2021 for PhD, the institutes release the prescribed notification of admission process for PhD.
The admission process consists of various steps like admission test, interview, document verification, etc.
3. According to new UGC Regulations, no university, institution and college can conduct PhD Programs through distance education mode. However, part-time PhD will be allowed if UGC PhD Regulations 2021 are followed by institutes.
Note: As per the draft policy of new UGC Regulations, a PhD degree will be a major requirement to become an assistant professor at university level from 2021.
However, NET would not be required for those who have completed their PhD from the universities ranking among the top 500 in the world as per Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), the Times Higher Education (THE) or the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU).
After the selection, what will be the salary of assistant professor or other teaching staff and what are the UGC Regulation 2021 for the promotion of the same? Check the UGC Guidelines 2021 to know the pay scale, promotion opportunities of assistant professor/JRF in the following section.
Lectureship is one of the noble professions for decades. You can get attractive pay scales & job allowances after being recruited as an Assistant Professor.
Below, you can check the UGC Guidelines for Assistant Professor 2021 pay scale:
1.) The formula of the 7th CPC is followed in the academic pay structure for lecturers and equivalent posts.
2.) Increment: The annual increment is given in the pay matrix at 3% rounded off to nearest 100.
3.) Promotion: When an individual gets a promotion, he/she would be given a national increment in his/her existing academic level of pay.
4.) Allowances: The allowances given to Central Government employee will depend on the Ministry of Finance as per the decision of the Government of India.
Important Note: As per the media reports, Finance Minister, Dr. Thomas Isaac, has signed the order to double the salary of guest lecturers in government and aided colleges.
UGC NET or JRF qualified lecturers will get minimum Rs. 1750 per day and a maximum of Rs 43,750 for 25 working days in a month. Those without UGC qualifications will get Rs. 1600/day and a maximum of Rs 40,000 per month.
For detailed information about UGC Regulations 2021 for revised pay scale and other benefits, check our blog: UGC Pay Revision for Assistant professor and JRF.
There are 6 levels from Assistant Professor to the Professor based on which the Academic Grade Pay and Entry Pay are decided. Below, you can check UGC Regulation 2021 for the promotion of assistant professor.
1. The Assistant Professors (Level 10) would be eligible for promotion under UGC CAS promotion rules through two successive levels (11 and 12) if they fulfill the eligibility and performance criteria.
2. CAS Promotion Criteria: Under Career Advancement Scheme (CAS), a teacher shall be promoted if: -
He/She gets a satisfactory or good grade in the annual performance assessment reports of at least four of the last five years of the assessment period.
The promotion is recommended by the screening cum evaluation committee.
3. The promotion rules for teachers under UGC CAS Guidelines 2021 are based on the following criteria: -
Teaching-Learning and Evolution.
Personal Development Related to Teaching and Research Activities.
Administrative Support and Participation in Students’ Co- and Extra-Curricular Activities.
UGC or the respective organization may provide a start-up grant to teachers and other non-vocational academic staff for research after their appointment.
The research promotional grant provided is as follows:
INR 3.0 lakhs in Social Sciences, Humanities and Languages.
INR 6.0 lakhs in Science and Technology.
Read the UGC Guidelines 2021 for the various Research Projects here: UGC Research Projects Guidelines
How many working hours are required for an assistant professor? There are several UGC 2021 Regulations required teaching hours that needs to be followed.
Check the workload, coursework, and leaves granted to the assistant professor and other teaching staff below.
As per the UGC Regulations for Assistant Professor/JRF, various leaves are granted to the candidates. Some of which are listed below: -
Special Casual Leave
Leave Not Due
Child Care Leave
1. the working hours of the teachers in full employment should not be less than 40 hours a week for 30 working weeks (180 teaching days) in an academic year.
2. It necessary for the teachers to be available for at least 7 hours daily in the University/ College as follows:
At least 2 hours for mentoring of students (minimum 15 students per coordinator) for Community Development/ Extra-Curricular Activities/ Library Consultation in case of undergraduate courses.
At least 2 hours for research in case of postgraduate courses, for which necessary space and infrastructure should be provided by the University/College.
3. The minimum direct teaching-learning process hours should be as follows:
Assistant Professor - 16 hours
Associate Professor and Professor - 14 hours
4. A relaxation of 2 hours in the workload may be given to Professors, Associate Professors who are actively involved in extension activities, administration.
PhD students are required to undertake coursework for a minimum period of one semester.
It may include proof reading of published research in the relevant field according to the latest UGC Guidelines for PhD coursework.
These were the essential UGC Regulations 2021 for Assistant Professor, PhD, JRF and other teaching staff. It is necessary to know them if you are going to appear for the UGC NET Exam.
We hope this article has helped you understand all the UGC Guidelines for examination 2021. If you have any query then, you can share it with us through the comment box below.
Also, if you want to give an extra edge to your preparation for UGC NET preparation, then download the Eduncle App, where you can get answers to all your doubts from a pan-India community of students and teachers.