Do you seek your career as a Lecturer or Researcher in India? If yes, you must know that an Assistant Professor or JRF job comes up with lots of responsibilities and prestigious roles. To maintain the standards of higher education as a Lecturer or Researcher, Indian Government has given the authorities to the University Grants Commission, a statutory body under the MHRD.
As per UGC Rules & Regulations, the authorities will look after the functionality of college operations, recruitments of UGC NET qualified professors or researchers and also releases the funds for the same. If you are aiming to appear for UGC NET Exam, it is necessary to have a brief knowledge of UGC Guidelines for the lecturers or other teaching staff.
Below, we are providing you the UGC Regulations 2020 for Assistant Professor and Research Fellows for the maintenance of standards in higher education and revision of pay scales.
You will find in this article: -
Check the information of UGC Rules and Regulations here. We are providing the details about the qualification, appointment, promotion etc. for the assistant professor and other teaching staff.
According to the UGC Regulations, the minimum eligibility criteria for the assistant professor or equivalent posts in the UGC Approved Universities or colleges are as follows:
The candidates, who wish to get appointed as an assistant professor, JRF or equivalent posts should possess the SET/SLET, NET certificates and have a Masters degree.
A minimum of 55% marks is required at the post-graduation level for recruitment of teachers in the universities or colleges.
The candidates shall have a master’s degree or its equivalent with aggregate 55% marks from recognized university or institutes for admission to the Ph.D. programs.
A person whose M.Phil thesis has been evaluated and the viva voce is pending may be admitted to the Ph.D. program of the same Institution.
Note: Candidates who obtained a Ph.D. degree before 2009, will be exempted from the requirement of NET/ SLET/ SET for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professor or equivalent positions in Universities/ Colleges/ Institutions.
To know the eligibility criteria, qualifications and other recruitment information for Assistant Professor and JRF as per UGC Regulations 2020, you may visit our blog: UGC NET Eligibility
If you meet the required eligibility conditions, you can check out the details of the selection procedure for assistant professor and other teaching staff, given below.
As per the guidelines for appointment of an Assistant Professor, selection committee in the universities shall have the composition of following members:
1. The Vice-Chancellor shall be the Chairperson of the Selection Committee.
2. If required, an academician can be nominated by the Visitor/Chancellor.
3. Three experts in the concerned subject nominated by the Vice-Chancellor whose names are approved by the relevant statutory body of the university.
4. Dean of the concerned faculty (Not compulsory).
5. Head/ Chairperson of the Department/ School.
6. An academician, representing SC/ST/OBC/Minority/Women/Differently-abled categories, only if any of the above members of the selection committee do not belong to that category.
7. At least four members, including two outsiders, subject experts shall constitute the quorum.
1. For being selected as an assistant professor, the candidates are required to submit bio-data in prescribed format of the respective university along with a copy of their significant publications.
2. As per the UGC new guidelines for PhD, the institutes release the prescribed notification of admission process for the Ph.D.
The admission process consists various steps like admission test, interview, document verification etc.
3. According to new UGC Regulations, No University, Institution and College can conduct Ph.D. Programs through distance education mode. However Part-time Ph.D. will be allowed if UGC Ph.D. Regulations 2020 are followed by Institutes.
Note: As per the draft policy of new UGC Regulations, a PhD degree will be must to become an assistant professor at university level from 2021.
However, NET would not be required for those who completed their Ph.D. from the universities ranking among the top 500 in the world, as per Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), the Times Higher Education (THE) or the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU).
Candidates who fulfill the above criteria will be eligible for assistant professor or to pursue the Ph.D. Degree.
You might like to follow the Important Lectureship Interviews Tips. Check out here: UGC NET Lectureship Interviews Tips
After the selection, what will be the salary of assistant professor or other teaching staff and what are the UGC Regulations for the promotion of the same?
Keep reading to know more!
Lectureship is considered as one of the noble professions for decades. While being recruited as an Assistant Professor, you can get attractive pay scales & job allowances.
Check the UGC Guidelines for the Assistant Professor 2020 pay scale:
1.) The formula of the 7th CPC is followed in the academic pay structure for lecturers and equivalent posts.
2.) Increment: The annual increment is given in the pay matrix at 3% rounded off to nearest 100.
3.) Promotion: When an Individual gets a promotion, he would be given a national increment in his existing academic level of pay.
4.) Allowances: The decision of allowances will be taken after consultation with the Ministry of Finance based on the decision of the Government of India for Central Government employee.
Important Note: As per the media reports, Finance Minister Dr. Thomas Isaac has signed the order to double the salary of guest lecturers in government and aided colleges.
UGC NET or JRF qualified lecturers will get Rs 1750 per day and maximum Rs 43,750 for 25 working days in a month. Those without UGC qualifications will get Rs 1600 and maximum Rs 40,000 per month.
For the detailed information about the UGC Regulations 2020 for revised pay scale and other benefits, check out our blog: UGC Pay Revision for Assistant professor and JRF
There are 6 levels from Assistant Professor to the Professor based on which the Academic Grade Pay and Entry Pay are decided. Check out here UGC Regulations for the promotion of assistant professor.
1. The Assistant Professors (Level 10) would be eligible for promotion under the UGC CAS promotion rules through two successive levels (Level 11 and Level 12) if they fulfill the eligibility and performance criteria.
2. CAS Promotion Criteria: Under Career Advancement Scheme (CAS), a teacher shall be promoted if
i) He/ She gets a satisfactory or good grade in the annual performance assessment reports of at least four of the last five years of the assessment period.
ii) The promotion is recommended by the screening cum evaluation committee.
3. The assessment of the performance of college and university teachers under UGC CAS promotion rules is based on the following criteria:
Teaching-Learning and Evolution.
Personal Development Related to Teaching and Research Activities.
Administrative Support and Participation in Students’ Co- and Extra-Curricular Activities.
The UGC or the respective agency may provide a start-up grant to teachers and other non-vocational academic staff to undertake research after their appointments. The research promotional grant is provided as follows:
INR 3.0 lakhs in Social Sciences, Humanities and Languages.
INR 6.0 lakhs in Science and Technology.
You might like to read the UGC Guidelines for the various Research Projects. Read the Blog: UGC Research Projects Guidelines
How much teaching is appropriate for an assistant professor? There are several UGC Regulations for the teaching hours for the assistant professors that they need to follow.
Check out the workload, coursework for Ph.D. aspirants and the leaves granted to the assistant professor and other teaching staff below.
As per the UGC Regulations for Assistant Professor and JRF, various leaves are granted to the candidates. Some of which are listed below!
Special Casual Leave
Leave Not Due
Child Care Leave
1. The workload of the teachers in full employment should not be less than 40 hours a week for 30 working weeks (180 teaching days) in an academic year.
2. It should be necessary for the teacher to be available for at least 7 hours daily in the University/ College as follows:
At least 2 hours for mentoring of students (minimum 15 students per coordinator) for Community Development/ Extra Curricular Activities/ library consultation in case of Under Graduate Courses.
At least 2 hours for research in case of Post Graduate courses, for which necessary space and infrastructure should be provided by the University/College.
3. The minimum direct teaching-learning process hours should be as follows:
Assistant Professor - 16 hours
Associate Professor and Professor - 14 hours
4. A relaxation of two hours in the workload may be given to Professors and Associate Professors who are actively involved in extension activities and administration.
After admission, the Ph.D. students are required to undertake a coursework for a minimum period of one semester.
It may include a reviewing of published research in the relevant field according to the UGC guidelines for Ph.D. coursework.
In the above article, we have presented all the essential UGC Regulations 2020 for the assistant professor, Ph.D., JRF and other teaching staff that are necessary to know if you are going to appear for the UGC NET Exam.
We hope this article will help you to know about the UGC Regulations for assistant professor and other teaching staff. If you have any query then you can share it with us through the comment box below. We will solve your queries as soon as possible.