The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test 2017 which was conducted in the month of May have surpassed many controversies and has captured the attention of the entire country.
Right from fulfilling the dreams of medical aspirants or being the most controversial medical exam in the country, NEET has always topped the list.
Although, the exam conducting body, CBSE, always tries to ensure fair selection with minimal problems, but, the conduct of fair NEET Exam has turned out to be a nightmare for the students. The reason being the exam has been surrounded with countless NEET 2017 Controversies over the decades.
This blog covers the list of all the NEET 2017 Controversy that took place in a year and has made this exam- the most Controversial Exam of the country. Let’s have a look.
1. In 2017, it was announced that the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test 2017 would be conducted in 10 languages which are mentioned in NEET Online Form.
After this announcement, Students Islamic Organization of India (SIO) filed a case in the Supreme Court, demanding the inclusion of Urdu language. The final decision was made in favor and the verdict passed by the court stated Urdu to be included from National Eligibility cum Entrance Test 2018 onwards.
2. The major NEET 2017 Controversy was related to the stringent NEET Dress Code. As per the instructions of the CBSE, the candidates who fail to qualify the Metal Detector Test were not allowed to enter the NEET Exam Centre.
The candidates were instructed to wear light color clothes, half sleeved shirts and only slippers or sandals.
The shocking news which got viral in media was that a female candidate in Kerala was forced to remove her innerwear and another candidate in jeans was asked to change because the metal detector went off.
The girl candidates were even asked to remove their hair pins, bands and ornaments like earrings and nose rings.
3. In some states, there were complaints regarding mixed up in NEET Question Paper. In Warangal, the candidates were given English and Hindi question papers instead of Telugu.
There were various complaints registered which stated that questions in Marathi and Bengali were different (about 85%) from the English paper, while some stated that the difficulty level of the questions in these other languages was higher than the English language paper.
4. The situation got even worse when there was a news regarding the leak of the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test question paper.
Five people, including 2 medical students were arrested in Patna for attempting to leak the question paper of the exam.
5. After this incident, students filed a petition against NEET 2017. The petition demanded to re-conduct the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test.
After a lot of petitions against NEET 2017, the authorities agreed to a settlement with the students.
6. Another incident which aggravated the NEET 2017 Controversy was that the CBSE had placed a stay on the release of NEET 2017 Result.
Based on the petition against NEET 2017 filed by Madras High Court on 24th May and the petition against NEET 2017 regarding the correctness of the answers of two questions, CBSE delayed the release of NEET Answer Keys and results. The answer keys and results were later declared on 23rd June 2017.
7. In Tamil Nadu, medical admissions were based on the marks scored in the class 12th examination. Last year, when All India Medical Entrance Exam was held for the first time, the Supreme Court exempted Tamil Nadu from the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test, but this year it refused to do so.
The reason was very clear because the Tamil Nadu Government opposed the exam and said that the Common test will harm the prospects of students from the state.
Protests in Tamil Nadu even intensified after a 17-year-old girl, Anitha committed suicide, after she failed to secure a medical seat through the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test. This year
After the series of protests and NEET Controversy, one thing that all the candidates learned from this matter is to be very cautious regarding the Do’s and Don’ts of National Eligibility cum Entrance Test. As the students and their parents are the ones that mostly get affected by all these controversies, so they must be aware of every single NEET 2018 Notification & News.
We hope that the answer to the question- Why NEET has become the most controversial exam? is clear among all the candidates.
With the chronology of the major events and criticism related to the exam, it has become the most debatable exam of the country.
Apart from all these controversies, National Eligibility cum Entrance Test is the dream of many medical aspirants of the country. Kindly stay tuned and get the complete exam related information here at Eduncle and make your dream come true of becoming a successful doctor.
If you have any query related to the information shared, you can ask them in the comment box provided below.