Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. A ward in the Kerala’s Aymanam district became India’s first digitised panchayat ward.
Union minister of state Krishan Pal Gurjar inaugurated the website of the first digitalized Panchayat ward number 15 of Aymanam Grama Panchayat.
The minister launched the website HYPERLINK “http://www.digitalaymanam.com”www.digitalaymanam.com at the function.
2. 2nd May 2017 will be observed as Ganga Swachhta Sankalp Divas by National Mission on Clean Ganga (NMCG) at 12 locations.
The 12 locations are: Kanpur, Allahabad, Varanasi, Patna, Bhagalpur, Sahibganj, Kolkata, Raj Ghat (Hardoi), Bithoor, Srinagar (Uttarakhand), Vidhur Kuti (Bijnor) and Devprayag.
The objective of the event is to spread awareness and promote active involvement of the masses in Swachh Ganga.
3. Assam got its first Shatabdi Express with Minister of State for Railways Rajen Gohain flagging off the train from Dibrugarh.
The new Shatabdi Express train (No. 12085/12086) will run between Dibrugarh and Guwahati.
4.The Ministry of Civil Aviation under the proposed Digi Yatra Initiative will make boarding pass and security check-ins digital at airports using Aadhaar and mobile phones.
Under this initiative, a digital mode for airport entry and verification of passengers would be used.
5. Indian Railways is set to make use of the Radio-Frequency Identification tags (RFID) for tracking of wagons, coaches and locomotives to ensure the effective and transparent functioning of the system.
For the first phase of implementation of this project, the Railways have sanctioned a sum of Rs 57 crore.
6. Maharashtra chief minister Devendra Fadnavis has inaugurated the state’s first automatic weather station at Dongargaon in Nagpur.
The state government proposes to install around 2,065 such weather stations across the state on a public-private partnership (PPP) mode in this year and 1,000 in next year.
International – Across the Globe:
1. Google has announced the new Solve for India initiative, especially for tier-2 cities such as Pune, Jaipur, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Kochi, Indore, Nagpur, Nashik, Madurai, Kanpur, and Chennai.
This program will aim to support entrepreneurs and developers of the country.
Entrepreneurs will now have the opportunity to learn directly from Google engineers who will share product usage insights.
2. India will give Rs. 35 crore rupees to children of freedom fighters in Bangladesh under the new Muktijodha scholarship scheme in the next five years.
Under the scheme, students at the higher secondary level will get a one-time grant of Tk 20,000 (Rs 15,370).
Students at the undergraduate level will get a grant of Tk 50,000 (Rs 38,430).
3. Turkey’s president Recep Tayyip Erdogan is on a 2-day official visit to India.
He attended a business event in Delhi with PM Narendra Modi.
He will be presented with an honorary degree by Jamia Milia Islamia.
Sports & Athletics:
1. Finland’s Valtteri Bottas celebrated the first Formula One victory of his career at the Russian Grand Prix.
Sebastian Vettel, Kimi Raikkonen and Lewis Hamilton were at second, third and fourth position respectively.
2. Rafael Nadal has won Barcelona Open title beating Austria’s Dominic Thiem by 6-4, 6-1.
This was Nadal’s 10th Barcelona Open title.
Nadal won in Barcelona between 2005-2009, 2011-13 and now in the last two years.
3. Joshna Chinappa becomes the first Indian to clinch the Asian Squash title by beating Dipika Pallikal Karthik in the women’s final in Chennai.
Max Lee won in the men’s category beating Saurav Ghosal.
4. Aizawl FC has won its maiden I-League title against Shillong Lajong and becomes the first ever club from the northeast to win the I-League title.
This was the 10th edition of the I-League held at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Shillong.
Aizawl ended the league with 37 points.
5. Indian golfer Shiv Kapur lifted his first Asian Tour title in 12 years, and has won USD 300,000 Yeangder Heritage Championships with eight-under 64 in the final round.
Gavin Green (67) and Yikeun Chang (68) were tied for second at 14-under at the National Golf Country Club.
6. Leander Paes and Scott Lipsky defeated Argentine Leonardo Mayer and Maximo Gonzalez to win the Tallahassee Challenger title of the men’s double.
This title win is Paes’ 2nd Challenger-level title of the season.
The 2017 Tallahassee Tennis Challenger was played on green clay courts between 24 and 29 April 2017.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Former Union Minister Ashwani Kumar has been named for Japan’s prestigious Order of the Rising Sun Award during a ceremony to be held at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo on 9th May.
He will be awarded for his contribution to fostering Japan-India ties.
Kumar will be conferred with the Grand Cordon of the Order of the Rising Sun, the highest category of decorations among the Orders of the Rising Sun.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Shobana Kamineni, executive vice-chairperson of Apollo Hospitals Enterprises Ltd (AHEL), was appointed as the President of Confederation of Indian Industry.
She takes over from Dr. Naushad Forbes, co-chairman, Forbes Marshall Limited.
Uday Kotak, executive vice-chairman and managing director, Kotak Mahindra Bank Limited is the new Vice President of CII.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The Real Estate Act which aims to protect the interests of homebuyers by ensuring transparency has come into effect.
The act has been notified by 13 states and Union Territories including Andhra Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Gujarat, Delhi, Daman and Diu.
Science & Technology:
1. The South Asia Satellite described as India’s priceless gift to SAARC countries will be launched on 5th May.
It is a significant step towards promoting cooperation with the entire South Asia.
Seven out of eight SAARC countries are a part of this project which Pakistan refused to join.
2. Scientists at IIT Roorkee have used Indian summer fruit, Jamun, to create low cost and more efficient solar cells.
To create the solar cells, the researchers made use of naturally occurring pigment present in jamun as an inexpensive photosensitizer for Dye Sensitised Solar Cells (DSSCs) or Gratzel cells.
1. International Workers’ Day also known as Labour Day celebrates the spirit of labourers. It is observed globally on 1st May every year.
It is the day to pay tribute to the labourers.
In India, the first Labour Day, or May Day, was celebrated in 1923 in Chennai.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images