Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. The government has an ambitious plan to lay 6,900 km of gas pipelines linking Bangladesh, Myanmar, most north-eastern states, and West Bengal.
Bangladesh Petroleum Corporation (BPC) and Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) signed an agreement in April this year to jointly set up a Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) terminal plant in Chittagong port city which will help pipe gas to the north-eastern states.
2. Finance Ministry accepting Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu’s proposal to merge it with the General Budget.
As a result the 92-year-old practice of presenting a separate Rail Budget is set to come to an end from the next fiscal.
3. Union Ministers M Venkaiah Naidu and Water Resources Minister Uma Bharti has jointly launched ‘Smart Ganga City’ programme in 10 cities to improve drainage network there on hybrid annuity mode on public private partnership basis.
The cities are Haridwar, Rishikesh, Mathura, Varanasi, Kanpur, Allahabad, Lucknow, Patna, Sahibganj, and Barrackpore.
4. Union Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas Dharmendra Pradhan has launched the Pradhan Mantri UjjwalaYojana (PMUY) in West Bengal.
It is a scheme to provide clean cooking fuel to the women belonging to the ‘Below Poverty Line’ (BPL) households across the country.
1. Simone Manuel anchored the U.S. women’s 4×100 metres medley relay team to the 1,000th gold medal in her country’s summer Olympic history and the second of her career.
Australia won the silver, with Cate Campbell touching out just 0.01 ahead of bronze medallists Denmark.
2. India squash queen Dipika Pallikal won the Australian Open squash title by beating Mayar Hany of Egypt by 0-12, 11-5, 11-6, 11-4.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Bollywood star actors Sonam Kapoor and Nawazuddin Siddiqui bagged the best actress and best actor awards at the Indian Film Festival (IFF) of Melbourne 2016.
Award winners are:
Best Actor (Male) – Nawazuddin Siddiqui for Raman Raghav
Best Actor (Female) – Sonam Kapoor for Neerja
Best Film Award – Kapoor & Sons
Best Indie Film – Thithi
Best Director – Shakun Batra
Indian Film Festival Excellence in Cinema Award(lifetime achievement award) – Rishi Kapoor.
2. Indian Institute of Science (IISc) has bagged the 5 Medals for Young Scientists award 2016.
The winners are Prabeer Barpanda, Sai Siva Gorthi, Praveen Kumar, Anshu Pandey and Chandan Saha.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. Microsoft has acquired Beam, launched in January this year.
The move will support Microsoft’s growth strategy around Xbox Live, one of the world’s most popular social gaming platform.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. South Indian Bank, leading private sector bank, and SBI Card, one of India’s leading Credit Card issuers, announced the launch of co-branded credit cards for the customers of South Indian Bank.
Through this alliance South Indian Bank and SBI Card will launch two variants of a credit card on VISA platform, namely South Indian Bank Platinum SBI Card and South Indian Bank SimplySAVE SBI Card.
2. Private sector lender Kotak Mahindra Bank has started an ‘Innovation Lab’ in Bengaluru to tap into the best technology that impacts its operations and is open to investing in startups.
It will help in startups, starting incubation centres, organising ‘hackathons’ and ideation contests.
3. National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) ties up with Union Bank of India to launch a USSD based *99# mobile application for their customers.
4. Insurance watchdog, IRDAI has imposed Rs 35 lakh fine on Bharti AXA General Insurance Co Ltd for violation of various norms including outsourcing activities and corporate governance guidelines.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. Fifth Generation Technologies, a multi-national research, and innovation company with specialization in building “real-time intelligence” solutions and products to the manufacturing industry has entered into an agreement with Anna University, Chennai.
The MoU is for conducting research to arrive at a useful prediction of the remaining life of critical equipment that is working in high-temperature environments.
1. Na Muthukumar, famous lyricist passed away in Chennai at the age of 41 years. He was suffering from jaundice for the past few days.
He won two national awards for the songs Ananda Yazhai Meetukiral in Thanga Meengal and Azhage Azhage in Saivam.
2. Pramukh Swami, the founder of Akshardham temples and a saint of the Swaminarayan sect, passed away after the prolonged illness at the Sarangpur temple.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images