Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. Hyderabad has ranked the best Indian city for living standards, as per the Mercer’s Quality of Living rankings 2017.
Both Hyderabad and Pune ranked higher for quality of living than the Mumbai and New Delhi, which have been ranked at 154 and 161, respectively, by the report.
However, Hyderabad fell by five places to 144 in this year’s rankings from 139th rank last year due to decreased power supply and water availability.
2. The World Bank has agreed to provide loan to develop internal transmission arrangements of the upcoming Rewa Ultra Mega Solar (RUMS) project in Madhya Pradesh.
It will provide 25 per cent of the loan amount under its Clean Technology Fund (CTF), where the money will be provided at an interest rate of only 0.25 per cent.
3. National Agricultural Fair Krishi Unnati Mela 2017 is being organised during 15th-17th March 2017 at IARI, PUSA New Delhi by ICAR-DARE, IARI.
Major attraction of the Mela would be digitization in agriculture, organic farming, agribusiness models, precision farming, skill building and entrepreneurship development.
Sports & Athletics:
1. Double Olympic gold medallist Joanna Rowsell Shand announced her retirement from international cycling.
Shand had won the women’s team pursuit at four editions of the World Championships (2008, 2009, 2012 and 2014).
She grabbed the gold medal in the same discipline at the Olympic Games in London and Rio in 2012 and 2016.
2. Google on 15th March 2017 dedicated a playful doodle to the first officially recognized Test Match in order to celebrate the 140th anniversary of official Test cricket.
Doodle captures the spirit of sportsmanship and the inaugural Test match.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Central Bank of India has been awarded first prize in the implementation of Official Language Policy in the western region for the year 2015-2016.
Sudhir Pathak, Chief Manager, Central Bank of India, received the trophy and certificate at the Official Language Conference of Central and Western Regions in Udaipur recently.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. IndusInd Bank will buy IL&FS Securities Services Ltd (ISSL), a subsidiary of Infrastructure Leasing and Financial Services (IL&FS) Ltd, in an all-cash deal.
The bank did not reveal the value of the acquisition.
This acquisition brings scale to this business, complements current product offerings of the bank.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Shashank Manohar has resigned as ICC Chairman with immediate effect.
Manohar has stepped down from his post due to personal reasons after just eight months in charge.
He had then signed a two -year term in May 2016.
2. The Congress leadership has nominated Mallikarjun Kharge for the post of Chairman of Public Accounts Committee (PAC) of Parliament.
He will succeed his party colleague K V Thomas who is completing three terms in the post.
3. Reliance Commercial Finance, a subsidiary of Reliance Capital has appointed Devang Mody as chief executive officer.
Prior to this, Mody served as president of consumer business at Bajaj Finance.
4. Justice Chittaranjan Sharma was sworn in as Upalokayukta of Assam.
He was administered oath to the office by Governor Banwarilal Purohit at a simple ceremony at the Raj Bhawan.
Justice Sharma was a former Judge of the Guwahati High Court.
5. Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd managing director Pawan Goenka will continue to be the chairman of the board of governors of Indian Institute of Technology-Madras (IIT-M) till June 2020.
He has been serving as chairman since 9th June 2014 when he was first nominated to the position for a three-year period.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. State Bank of India (SBI) announced a one-time tractor loan settlement scheme worth Rs.6,000 crore primarily for tractors.
One Time Settlement (OTS) announced for #Agriculture #Loans! Scheme valid until 31st March 2017.
2. Retail inflation based on wholesale prices shot up to 39-month high of 6.55 per cent in February 2017.
The rise is due to on the back of costlier petrol, diesel and LPG and food goods such as sugar, fruits and cereals.
Retail inflation also rose to 4-month high of 3.65 per cent in February mainly due to surge in price of food items like fruits, sugar and confectionery.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. The Footwear Design and Development Institute (FDDI) Bill, 2017 was introduced the Lok Sabha which intends to declare the FDDI as an Institution of National Importance (INI).
It further seeks to facilitate and promote teaching, training and research in all disciplines relating to design and development of Footwear and leather products.
2. The Inter State River Water Disputes (Amendment) Bill, 2017 was introduced by water resources minister Uma Bharati in Lok Sabha.
The bill proposes a single standing tribunal (with multiple benches) instead of multiple tribunals that exist at present.
The decision of the tribunal shall be final and binding with no requirement of publication in the official Gazette.
3. Lok Sabha passed the Enemy Property (Amendment and Validation) Bill, 2016.
The amendments to the bill were moved in the Lok Sabha by Home Minister Rajnath Singh.
The Bill will replace the ordinance promulgated by the government.
Science & Technology:
1. The World’s first fluorescent frog, which glows bright green under UV light, has been found in Argentina.
Researchers stumbled upon the bizarre creature by accident while studying the skin pigments of polka-dot tree frogs in the Amazon.
2. A group of scientists stated in a study that rapid loss of Arctic sea ice in recent decades is partly driven by natural swings.
The research indicates that a shift in wind patterns is responsible for about 60% of sea ice loss in the Arctic Ocean since 1979.
1. World Consumer Rights Day is observed on 15th March every year in order to get consumer issues noticed across the world.
World Consumer Rights Day (WCRD) is an opportunity to promote the basic rights of all consumers.
The theme for World Consumer Rights Day 2017 is Building a Digital World Consumers Can Trust.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images