Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. A Plastic park will be set up over a 75-acre land in Panipat at a cost of Rs 1,500 crore, while a Pharma park will be set in over a 100-acre land in Karnal.
The plastic park to be set up in Panipat will generate employment opportunities for 30,000 plastic engineers and technicians.
The pharma park in Karnal aims to make the country self-sufficient in terms of medicine production, and would help reduce production cost by 30 per cent.
2. The Minister of State for Labour & Employment(IC), Bandaru Dattatreya launched EPFO’s Citizens’ Charter 2017 and e-court management system in Bangalore.
Citizens’ Charter 2017 is an attempt to bring transparency and accountability on the part of EPFO and make service delivery system and grievance redressal mechanism more efficient.
The objective of the EPFO e-court Management System is a transparent and electronic case management system which will cater to aspirations of all stakeholders – the employers, the employees, litigants and CBT.
3. Income Tax Department (ITD) has initiated Operation Clean Money to investigate tax evaders.
As a part of the operation, the government has launched a website on ‘Operation Clean Money’ operation.
4. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved a new coal linkage policy to ensure the adequate supply of the fuel to power plants through the reverse auction.
The new policy will help in ensuring fuel supplies to the power plants in an organized manner.
International – Across the Globe:
1. Bandaru Duttatreya will be leading the Indian delegation to the G20 Labour & Employment Ministers’ Meet scheduled on 18th-19th May 2017 at Bad Neuenahr, Germany.
A G20 Labour and Employment Ministerial Declaration is likely to be adopted at the end of this meeting, which will be presented to the Leaders/ Head of the State summit scheduled on 7th-8th July 2017 Hamburg, Germany.
2. Mt Lhotse has recorded its first summit in 3 years and it is the fourth highest mountain in the world.
Indian climber Debasish Biswas and a woman climber from New Zealand were the first to successfully climb Mt Lhotse after a team of Sherpas fixed the route to summit
3. India has been placed in the second spot in the Renewable Energy Country Attractiveness Index by EY.
In an annual ranking of the top 40 renewable energy markets worldwide in terms of allure, China was ranked at the top, followed by India.
The US slipped to the third spot from the first in the last year’s ranking.
4. A new round of Syria peace talks aiming to resolve a six-year conflict opens in Geneva.
The negotiations are focused on four separate baskets: governance, a new constitution, elections and combating terrorism in the war-ravaged country.
Sports & Athletics:
1. Mohammad Anas smashed the national record in men’s 400m race at the Indian Grand Prix Athletics Meet in New Delhi.
He clocked 45.32 seconds at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium and also qualified for the World Championships to be held in London in August.
Rajiv Arokia and Sachin Baby were second and third in 46.32 seconds and 47.18 seconds respectively.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani leads a Forbes list of ‘Global Game Changers’.
Forbes’ second annual Global Game Changers list includes 25 intrepid business leaders who are unsatisfied with the status quo and transforming their industries and changing the lives of billions of people around the
Ambani comes at the top of the list for his game-changing efforts to bring the internet to India’s masses.
2. Dr. Purnima Devi Barman, wildlife biologist and conservationist of Assam, nominated for the prestigious Whitley Awards also known as the Green Oscars.
The award recognizes and celebrate effective national and regional conservation leaders across the globe.
Barman has been nominated from among 166 researchers from 66 countries for this award.
3. Indian cricketer Suresh Raina launched Gracia Raina Foundation (GRF) on which is dedicated to the wellness of Mother and Child.
It works for wellness by providing the mother with knowledge and information about pregnancy, child care post birth and nutritional needs to keep mother and child physically healthy.
It also aims to impart skills to the underprivileged mothers in order to enable them to earn a livelihood for sustainable living.
4. Arunachal Pradesh’s Anshu Jamsenpa became the first Indian woman to scale the Mount Everest for the fourth time.
Edmund Hillary of New Zealand and Tenzing Norgay of Nepal were the first climbers to conquer Mount Everest.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. India’s leading digital wallet player Paytm appointed its long-time executive and vice president Renu Satti as the CEO of the payments bank.
Paytm has received the final license from the Reserve Bank of India for its payments bank entity and it will start its operations from 23rd May 2017.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. In the report titled, World Economic Situation and Prospects, the UN has projected a 7.3% growth for India in 2017.
The revised report also has predicted an impressive 7.9% GDP growth for the year 2018 which is an increase from its January estimate of 7.6%.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. The Uttar Pradesh legislature passed the UP Goods and Service Tax (GST) Bill 2017.
Four key GST legislations – the Central GST Act, the Integrated GST Act, the GST (Compensation to States) Act and the Union Territory GST Act – were passed by Parliament in its last session.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. India and Palestine sign five MoUs during the visit of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas to India.
These were MoU on visa exemption for diplomatic passport holder, agriculture cooperation, cooperation in the field of IT & Electronics, health sector and cooperation in the field of youth affairs and sports.
Science & Technology:
1. A Planet called Proxima B orbiting the closest neighboring Star, Proxima Centauri, which is about 4.2 light years away is expected to have liquid water and the potential to support alien life.
The planet is of similar size to the Earth and is expected to have an ‘Earth-like’ atmosphere.
2. Teams of the NASA and ISRO would inspect the excavation being carried out at an archaeological site in Haryana’s Fatehabad district to verify claims of it being the oldest civilization in the world.
NASA and ISRO inspection are likely to be done in October this year, 2017.
1. World Telecommunication and Information Society Day (WTISD) is celebrated annually on 17th May.
The theme for WTISD-2017 is Big Data for Big Impact.
The purpose of WTISD is to help raise awareness of the possibilities that the use of the Internet and other Information technologies can bring to societies and economies, as well as of ways to bridge the digital divide.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images