Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. Chennai-Nashiri, India’s longest surface tunnel in Jammu and Kashmir’s Udhampur district has completed its trial run.
The 9-km-long tunnel at Chenani passes through the lower Himalayan mountain range on Jammu- Srinagar National Highway.
The total cost of the project is Rs.3720 crores.
2. The proposed Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojna will be launched at a camp in Andhra Pradesh’s Nellore district on 25th March 2017.
Under the scheme, senior citizens, living below the poverty line, will now get for free assistive devices like hearing aids and wheelchairs.
The estimated cost for the scheme is Rs.477 crores.
3. Union Minister Harsh Vardhan will inaugurate the 5th foundation day function of the Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council(BIRAC) in New Delhi.
The discussion will focus on the impact the Biotech Ecosystem is making on the Indian economy and the opportunities which exist for the Indian Biotech Sector as a global player.
International – Across the Globe:
1. The Indo-Oman joint military exercise Al Nagah-II 2017 was concluded at Bakloh in Himachal Pradesh.
The aim of the exercise was to acquaint both forces with each other’s operating procedures and counter- terrorism environment.
Sports & Athletics:
1. Cheteshwar Pujara became the first Indian batsman to play longest innings.
He has scored 202 runs on 525 balls against Australia on fourth day of the third Test match in Ranchi.
He surpassed Rahul Dravid’s record of 495 balls.
2. India’s KT Irfan has won bronze in the 20 km men’s event at the Asian Racewalking Championships in Japan.
South Korea’s Kim Hyun-Sub won the gold medal and Kazakhstan’s Georgiy Sheiko won silver medal.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Anshumali Shrivastava has won National Science Foundation (NSF)’s prestigious CAREER award for his research on redesigning current machine-learning processes.
2. An Indian-American CEO Sandeep Matharani has been ranked 4th on a list of top 25 overpaid CEOs in the United States.
Sandeep Matharani, CEO of General Growth Properties, Chicago was paid a total compensation of USD 39.2 million in 2016.
The list was topped by Leslie Moonves, CEO of CBS. Moonves earned compensation worth USD 56.7 million in 2016.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. Idea Cellular has approved a merger with Vodafone India and its wholly owned subsidiary Vodafone India Mobile Services.
It will create India’s largest mobile phone company with about 400 million customers, 35% customer market share and 41% revenue market share.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Five-time Parliamentarian, the BJP’s Yogi Adityanath was sworn in as Uttar Pradesh’s 32nd chief minister along with 49 ministers.
The two-deputy minister-designates Keshav Prasad Maurya and Dinesh Sharma were among those sworn in by UP governor Ram Naik.
2. The Centre has swapped the Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) of state-owned Indian Bank and IDBI Bank.
Mahesh Kumar Jain, who was Managing Director & CEO at Indian Bank, has been appointed as Managing Director & CEO of IDBI Bank.
Kishore Piraji Kharat, who was appointed as IDBI Bank CEO in August 2015, has now been appointed as Managing Director and CEO of Indian Bank.
3. Uber Technologies Inc. president Jeff Jones quit the company, seven months after his joining.
He joined Uber from Target Corp, where he was chief marketing officer and is credited with modernizing the retailer’s brand.
4. Senior BJP legislator Hangkhalian was sworn-in as Protem Speaker of the 11th Manipur Legislative Assembly.
He was administered oath of office by State Governor Najma Heptulla at the Raj Bhawan.
5. Santiago Nieva will be India’s new foreign coach for men boxers, succeeding Cuban BI Fernandes.
Nieva, an AIBA three-star coach, was attached with the Swedish men’s team until last year.
He quit the position after the Rio Olympics.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. E-commerce major Amazon India has come out with a new GST guide programme called the A-Z GST Guide for sellers.
The programme will help seller to get insights and help related to the goods and services tax (GST).
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. State-owned ONGC has signed definitive agreements to buy out debt-ridden GSPC’s entire 80% in KG basin natural gas block for $1.2 billion.
ONGC will pay $995.26 million for three discoveries in the KG-OSN-2001/3 block that are under trial production since August 2014.
Science & Technology:
1. Scientists using Large Hadron Collider accelerator (LHC) at CERN have discovered a new system of five particles all in a single analysis.
According to the standard convention, these particle states were named Oc (3000)0, Oc (3050)0, Oc (3066)0, Oc (3090)0 b Oc (3119)0.
2. Scientists have developed a new wireless Internet network based on infrared rays that is reportedly 100 times faster than existing Wi-Fi (Wireless Fidelity) networks.
It has a huge capacity, more than 40 Gigabits per second (Gbit/s).
1. International day of Happiness is celebrated every year on 20th March to recognize happiness as a fundamental human goal.
It was established by the United Nations General Assembly on 28th June 2012.
Recent Notable Deaths:
1. Chuck Berry, who defined rock ’n’ roll’s potential and attitude in its early years, died at his home near Wentzville, Mo. He was 90.
His famous songs include Johnny B. Goode and Roll Over Beethoven
2. Former IAS officer and Rajya Sabha member Pyarimohan Mohapatra passed away in Mumbai after a prolonged illness. He was 77.
He is regarded as the chief strategist and mentor of Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images