Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. Union Power minister Piyush Goyal announced that the rural electrification will provide every citizen affordable adequate electricity by 2022.
Smart Power meters will be installed soon in 100% smart metering.
2.The 4-member committee headed by Madhav Chitale recommended a series of measures for de-siltation of Ganga river. The recommendation includes following measures.
Creation of sand registry for de-silting of the Ganga.
Study to guide de-silting activities.
Establishment of a technical institute to conduct the sediment budget.
The establishment of an institute for flood routing studies.
International – Across the Globe:
1. China and ASEAN countries have agreed to a framework for a long-mooted code of conduct for the disputed South China Sea.
All the parties have agreed to continue to constructively advance the negotiations and work towards the early conclusion of the code of conduct.
2. Japan’s cabinet approved a bill that would allow Emperor Akihito to resign paving the way for the first resignation by a Japanese emperor in nearly two centuries.
Resignation must take place within three years of the bill becoming law.
3. The United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) ranks countries in terms of their International Tourist Arrivals (ITA).
As per the latest rankings, the Rank of India in ITA has improved from previous 41 and 40 ranks of 201 and 2015 respectively to 24 in both years.
With this inclusion, the share of India in the ITAs has also increased from 0.68% (based on FTAs) to 1.12% in the year 2015.
4. India with some other countries has jointly commissioned a study to define and structure a Common Risk Mitigation Mechanism (CRMM) for solar power generation projects in solar rich countries.
The study is aimed at a reduction in the cost of finance for renewable energy and the overall price of electricity.
Sports & Athletics:
1. The Indian Men’s compound archery team has managed to win gold after defeating Columbia 226-221 in the Archery World Cup Stage 1 championships held in Shanghai, China.
Indian archery team were represented by Abhishek Verma, Chinna Raju Srither and Amanjeet Singh.
Awards & Recognition:
1. ISRO Chairman A S Kiran Kumar was presented 2014 Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development.
The Prize was awarded to ISRO in recognition of its path-breaking achievements culminating in the Mars orbiter mission and its significant contributions in strengthening international cooperation in peaceful use of outer space.
2. Indian- origin Steel tycoon Sanjay Gupta has bagged the prestigious “CEO of the Year Award” in the United Kingdom.
He is the executive chairman of the Liberty House Group.
He was awarded for his successful acquisitions and his drive to transform the steel industry in the UK, India and beyond.
Books & Authors:
1. PM Narendra Modi has released a two-part book series titled – M. S. Swaminathan: The Quest for a world without hunger on the eminent agricultural scientist Dr. M.S. Swaminathan.
Praising the dedication and commitment of Prof. Swaminathan, the Prime Minister described him as a Kisan Vaigyanik– Farmers’ Scientist; rather than just a Krishi Vaigyanik – Agricultural Scientist.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Air Marshal PN Pradhan has been appointed as the Deputy Chief of Integrated Defence Staff (Operations).
Pradhan has held several key positions including Assistant Chief of Air Staff (Transport and Helicopters) at Air Headquarters and Senior Air Staff Officer at the Southern Air Command.
2. Eminent scientist S Christopher was given a one-year extension, till May 2018, as chief of the DRDO.
Christopher is also Secretary, Department of Defence Research and Development (DoDRD).
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The GST Council has finalized a 4-slab service tax structure at the rates of 5, 12, 18 and 28 per cent as against the single rate of 15% levied on all taxable services.
Luxury hotels, gambling, race club betting and cinema services will attract a tax rate of 28%.
Education, healthcare and non-AC rail travel will remain exempted from the GST tax regime.
Telecom and financial services will be taxed at a rate of 18%. Transport services will be taxed at the rate of 5%
Non-AC restaurants and AC restaurants will attract a GST of 12% and 18% respectively. Advertisements published in newspapers will attract 5% GST.
Science & Technology:
1. According to the study conducted by scientists from the UK, plant life on Antarctica is growing rapidly due to climate change.
The scientists have observed a sharp increase in biological activity in Antarctica in the last 50 years.
The study has been published in the journal Current Biology.
1. World Metrology Day is an annual celebration of the signature of the Metre Convention on 20 May 1875 by representatives of seventeen nations.
The theme for World Metrology Day 2017 is Measurements for transport.
This theme was chosen because transport plays such a key role in the modern world.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images