Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. MGNREGA has reached a major milestone by geotagging one crore assets created under the scheme.
The scale of assets created under MGNREGA is massive and is estimated to be about 2.82 crore assets since the financial year 2006-07.
The focus would be given to geotagging of Natural Resource Management works primarily the water-related works.
2. The Union Government and two Naga Rebel groups have agreed to extend the ceasefire till 27th April 2018.
The two Naga armed factions are- National Socialist Council of Nagaland-Reformation (NSCN-R) and National Socialist Council of Nagaland-Neakpao-Kithovi (GPRN/NSCN).
3. Uttar Pradesh has decided to establish 40 Yoga wellness centres in 40 districts across the state in the present financial year.
Out of 40 centres, 23 will be set up at Ayurvedic hospitals, 12 at homeopathic and 7 at Unani hospitals and colleges.
4. Union Minister of Law and Justice Ravi Shankar Prasad inaugurated three welfare initiatives- Pro Bono, Tele Law Service and Nyaya Mitra that would facilitate access to justice for the poor.
‘Pro-bono legal services’ where lawyers can register themselves to volunteer pro-bono services for litigants who are unable to afford it.
‘Tele-law service’ seeks to connect litigants with lawyers through video conferencing facilities.
Nyaya Mitra, a retired judicial officer, or an executive officer with judicial experience, will be put in charge of assisting those suffering due to judicial delays.
5. The Indian Railways will increase 3AC coaches in long distance trains to cater to the growing demand for air-conditioned coaches.
Railway data shows that between 1st April 2016 and 10th March 2017, 3AC coaches carried 17 per cent of all passengers in long-distance trains which accounted for 32.60 per cent of all the earnings from passenger fares.
6. Ministry of Food and Consumer Affairs has approved the Guidelines on Fair Trade Practices Related to Charging of Service Charge from Consumers by Hotels and Restaurants’.
As a part of the guidelines the government has said that Service charge on hotel and restaurant bills is totally voluntary, adding that mandatory levy of service charge amounts to unfair trade practice.
International – Across the Globe:
1. Cuba and Morocco has signed an agreement to re-establish diplomatic ties after a time period of 37 years at the headquarters of the Permanent Mission of Cuba to the United Nations.
The two governments have also agreed to forge political, economic and cultural cooperation.
Sports & Athletics:
1. Golfers Aditi Ashok, S.S.P Chawrasia and Ali Sher won the second edition of the Golf Industry Association (GIA) Awards 2017.
Aditi Ashok bagged the award for Outstanding Achievement.
SSP Chawrasia bagged the award for the Men’s Player of the Year (2016).
Ali Sher was awarded for his outstanding playing career.
2. Indian sportswear brand Zeven, has snapped up the rights for International Cricket Council (ICC) merchandise in 23 markets, including India.
The brand is jointly owned by tennis star Mahesh Bhupathi and former Nike country head Hemachandra Javeri.
The four-year contract gives Zeven exclusive licence rights to apparel, accessories and select footwear, including replicas and lifestyle ranges of ICC.
Awards & Recognition:
1. The 91-year-old gynaecologist, Dr. Bhakti Yadav was presented with the Padma Shri award at her residence as she was unable to attend the function organised in New Delhi.
The award aims to recognize her selfless service towards her patients, especially the ones from a poor background.
2. Actress Saiyami Kher, who made her Bollywood debut in Rakeysh Om Prakash Mehra’s film Mirzya, received the best debut award at the Dasaheb Phalke Excellence Awards 2017.
3. US-based travel reviewer website TripAdvisor presented its 2017 World’s Best Destination Award to Indonesia’s resort island of Bali.
With this, Bali became the first Asian destination to earn the title.
Other World’s best Destination are- London (United Kingdom), Paris, (France), Rome (Italy), New York City (USA) and 20 others.
4. Palnar, a small village in Chhattisgarh’s Dantewada district grabbed an award from Prime Minister Narendra Modi for going 100 per cent cashless.
The Village does not have any mobile connectivity.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Ramanathan Ramanan was today appointed as the Mission Director of the Atal Innovation Mission under the Niti Aayog.
He was appointed to the post for the period of two years.
Ramanan is presently working with the Tata Consultancy Services.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. Reliance Industries has regained its status as India’s most valued firm by market capitalization, overtaking Tata Group’s crown jewel TCS.
Shares of RIL were trading 3.43 per cent higher at Rs 1,416.40 on BSE, giving the company a market capitalization of Rs 4,60,291.20 crore, the highest for any listed firm in the country.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. The governments of India and South Korea signed a MoU to strengthen their bilateral cooperation in defence shipbuilding.
According to the MoU, the two countries under the broader term of a special strategic partnership will be nominating one shipyard each for the project.
2. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has announced signing of an MoU with the Bank of Guyana on Supervisory Cooperation and Exchange of Supervisory Information.
RBI signed the MoU, Letter for Supervisory Co-operation and Statement of Co-operation with supervisors of a few countries to promote greater co-operation and share supervisory information.
3. Tata Power signed the Distribution Franchise Agreement (DFA) with Ajmer Vidyut Vitran Nigam Ltd (AVVNL).
The aim is to cater to power requirements of customers in Ajmer for a period of 20 years.
Science & Technology:
1. Indian Navy successfully undertook the firing of BrahMos Land Attack Supersonic Cruise Missile from a ship.
This variant of Long Range BrahMos Missile was fired from Indian Naval Ship Teg.
BrahMos Missile has been jointly developed by India and Russia, and its Anti-Ship variant has already been inducted into Indian Navy.
1. Earth Day is observed every year on 22 April across the globe to diversify, educate and activate the environmental movement worldwide.
The theme for 2017 is Environmental & Climate Literacy.
It aims to empower everyone with the knowledge of climate change in order to inspire action towards environmental protection.
Recent Notable Deaths:
1. Senior National Conference (NC) leader and former speaker of Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly, Ali Mohammad Naik, passed away.
He had served as general secretary of Plebiscite Front under NC founder and former chief minister Sheikh Mohammad Abdullah.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images