Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. As per report submitted by Parliamentary Standing Committee on Science and Technology, there is alarming rise in forest fires across India.
The report says that the number of forest fires have touched 24,817 in 2016 from 15,937 fires in 2015. It shows alarming rise 55% in the past year.
International – Across the Globe:
1. Hong Kong, a China-administered special territory has decided to withdraw visa-free facility for Indians from January 23, 2017.
This decision was taken on the ground to prevent illegal immigration as a number of Indian asylum seekers was on the rise.
2. The Union Cabinet has approved a draft ordinance to empower states and allow industries to pay workers’ wages digitally, through a direct bank transfer to accounts or by cheque in a bid to encourage cashless transactions.
The draft ordinance proposes changes to the Section 6 of the Payment of Wages Act, 1936 to encourage cashless transactions.
1. Ravichandran Ashwin, India’s premier off-spinner was named as the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) Cricketer of the Year, while Virat Kohli was chosen to lead the ODI Team of the Year.
Ashwin was the only Indian in ICC’s Test Team of the Year and was also named the Test Cricketer of the Year.
Awards & Recognition:
1. The Sahitya Academy has announced the names of 24 poets and authors who will be conferred the prestigious 2016 Sahitya Akademi Award. Winners for this awards are as follows:
Play: Swarajbir (Punjabi)
Essay: Nrisinghaprasad Bhaduri (Bengali)
Criticism: Aziz Hajini (Kashmiri) and Nizam Siddiqui (Urdu)
Short stories: Chahatrapal (Dogri), Shyan Darihare (Maithili), Moirangthem Rajen (Manipuri), Asaram Lomate (Marathi), Paramita Satpathy (Odia), Bulaki Sharma (Rajasthani) Vannadhasan (Tamil)
Poetry: Jnan Pujari (Assamese), Anju (Bodo), Kamal Vora (Gujarati), Prabha Varma (Malayalam), Sitanath Acharya (Sanskrit), Gobinda Chandra Majhi (Santhali), Nand Javeri (Sindhi) and Papineni Sivasankar (Telugu)
2. Kaisa Matomaki and Maksym Radziwill have been jointly won the 2016 SASTRA-Ramanujan award for mathematics for their ‘revolutionary’ collaborative work on short intervals in number theory.
Their mathematical work dwells on properties of numbers in “short intervals.”
The two mathematicians worked with Fields medalist Terence Tao in making a breakthrough on the Chowla conjecture.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s cabinet approved 5.13 trillion yen ($43.6 billion) in defence spending for the fiscal year starting in April 2017.
It is Japan’s highest annual defence budget announced so far. It is up by 1.4% from the initial budget for the current fiscal year.
Now it will be sent to Parliament (Diet) for debate and approval.
Science & Technology:
1. China successfully launched TanSat, a global carbon dioxide (CO2) monitoring satellite to understand the effects of climate change.
It was launched on board of Long March-2D rocket from Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre in northwest China’s Gobi Desert.
It was the 243rd mission of the Long March series rockets.
1. The National Mathematics Day is observed every year on 22nd December to celebrate the birth anniversary of great Indian autodidact Mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan.
This year, it is 129th birth anniversary of Srinivasa Ramanujan.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images