Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. The India Post released a Commemorative Postage Stamp on Coffee as a Fragrance Stamp in Bengaluru.
The stamp was jointly released by Union Minister of State for Commerce and Industry Nirmala Sitharaman and Union Minister of State for Communications Manoj Sinha.
The stamps, which are being printed at the India Security Press, will be priced at Rs. 100.
2. The Minister of External Affairs, Sushma Swaraj has made a provision enabling people to apply for passports in Hindi.
The panel has suggested that bilingual forms should be made available by all passport offices and forms filled by hindi should be accepted.
3. Prime Minister Narendra Modi chaired NITI Aayog’s Governing Council which is poised to draw up a 15-year development road map called ‘Vision 2030.’
This 15- year roadmap will achieve social goals such as poverty reduction, and improving health and sanitation.
International – Across the Globe:
1. India has become world’s second largest LPG importer, a position that was previously occupied by Japan. China remains as the world’s top importer.
LPG imports in the country has increased 23% during the financial year 2016-2017 to about 11 million tonnes.
The main reason behind the increase in the consumption of LPG in India is due to the two government schemes coupled with free gas connections.
2. Indian mangoes will be imported to Australia for the first time after protocols were revised to allow the Asian-grown fruit into the local economy.
The fruit would be allowed into Australia as long as they were treated with irradiation before leaving India.
3. A freight train connecting Russia with China arrived in Ganzhou an inland city in Jiangxi province, carrying goods from Moscow.
The freight train travelled more than 7,000 km, before reaching Ganzhou in eastern China.
Sports & Athletics:
1. Washington Sundar, a 17 years and 199 days old Rising Pune Supergiant spinner has become the third youngest cricketer to play in IPL.
Sundar was picked by the franchise as a replacement for injured Ravichandran Ashwin.
Royal Challengers Bangalore’s Sarfaraz Khan, who played his first IPL match aged 17 years and 177 days, was the youngest to play in the league.
2. The game of cricket has been removed from the programme list of the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta and Palembang.
Apart from cricket, skateboarding, sambo and surfing are among the other sports which have been removed from the programme in order to reduce the burden on Indonesian organizer’s.
The total number of events has now reduced from 493 to 431.
3. Rafael Nadal has won the Monte Carlo Masters for 10th time by beating Albert Ramos-Vinolas 6-1, 6-3 in the final.
In the doubles final, Rohan Bopanna and Pablo Cuevas beat seventh seeds and reigning Roland Garros champions Feliciano Lopez and Marc Lopez 6-3, 3-6, 10-4 to win the title.
Nadal’s 70th career title was his first of the season.
4. Haryana emerged champion beating Kerala at the National Youth Athletics Meet held at the GMC Balayogi Athletics Stadium, Gachibowli, from April 21st to 23rd April 2017.
Kerala was at the top place for the last five years. Haryana emerged champions with 166.5 points.
Rohit Yadav in javelin throw has a set a new meet record.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Veteran actress- politician Hema Malini along with Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, filmmaker Shoojit Sircar and Zeenat Aman bagged the Dadasaheb Phalke Excellence Awards 2017.
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan won the award for the film Sarabjit while Hema Malini won the Award in the category of Kala Shree.
Veteran Zeenat Aman received the Lifetime Achievement Award. On the other hand, Sircar bagged Creative Director Award for Pink, along with Rohit Roy, who bagged the Best Negative Role in Film for Kaabil.
2. Nobel Prize Winner Kailash Satyarthi was awarded the Famous P C Chandra Award.
He was honored with the award for his Global Crusade against Child Slavery and Exploitative on Child Labour.
He received a trophy and a cheque of Rs 10 Lakhs at an Awards Ceremony in Kolkata, India.
3. Bollywood film Newton has won the best film honor at the Hong Kong International Film Festival. The lead actor of the film is Raj Kumar Rao. The main list of HKFA winners is as follows:
|Best Director||Frank Hui, Jevons Au and Vicky Wong (Trivisa)|
|Best Screenplay||Loong Man Hong, Thomas Ng and Mak Tin Shu (Trivisa)|
|Best Actor:||Gordon Lam (Trivisa)|
|Best Actress:||Kara Wai (Happiness)|
|Lifetime Achievement||Fong Yim-fun|
|Professional Achievement:||Yuen Tai-yung.|
4. Social activist Prafulla Samantra was announced one among six winners of the Goldman Environmental Prize.
He was awarded for his “historic 12-year legal battle that affirmed the indigenous Dongria Kondh’s land rights and protected the Niyamgiri Hills from a massive, open-pit aluminum ore mine.”
The other five winners for this year are: Mark Lopez (United States); Uroš Macerl (Slovenia); Rodrigo Tot (Guatemala); Rodrigue Katembo (Democratic Republic of Congo); and Wendy Bowman (Australia).
5. Astronaut Peggy Whitson broke the record for most cumulative days spent in space by an American astronaut, surpassing Jeff Williams’ record of 534 days.
Peggy Annette Whitson (born February 9, 1960) is an American biochemistry researcher, NASA astronaut and former NASA Chief Astronaut.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. BJP leader and Assam Badminton Association President Himanta Biswa Sarma was appointed Badminton Association of India’s interim head during its executive council meeting.
The post of president was left vacant after the sudden demise of former president Akhilesh Das Gupta.
2. Mridul Gehlot and Dinesh Patel were elected unanimously president and general secretary of Amateur Kabaddi Federation of India (AKFI).
The elections were held under the supervision of justice I S Israni.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. India Post Payment Bank (IPPB) is planning a mega expansion to open 650 branches this year.
The first two branches of IPPB were opened in January 2017 in Ranchi and Raipur.
The focus of the payment bank will be on door-step banking, A survey conducted by the department showed “huge” potential for door-step banking.
Science & Technology:
1. China has successfully docked its first cargo spacecraft Tianzhou-1 with the Tiangong-2 space lab.
It is hailed as a major step towards China’s ambition of establishing a permanently manned space station by 2022.
2. Google introduced the first code for its new feature Copyless Paste in its Chrome app running on Android OS.
The new feature will take data from Chrome usage and use that to improve the experience in other apps.
Copyless Paste feature will automatically copy the useful information and will suggest it for pasting in apps where it might be relevant.
1. World Day For Animals In Laboratories also known as World Lab Animal Day is observed every year on 24th April.
The National Anti-Vivisection Society (NAVS) describe the day as an “international day of commemoration for animals in laboratories.
2. 24th April is celebrated as National Panchayati Raj Diwas every year.
This day marks the passing of the Constitution (73rd Amendment) Act, 1992 that came into force with effect from 24 April 1993.
3. The World Book and Copyright Day is celebrated every 23rd April, a symbolic date in remembrance of the deaths of two major authors: William Shakespeare and Miguel de Cervantes.
By celebrating this Day, UNESCO seeks to promote reading, publishing and the protection of copyright.
4. English Language Day at the UN is celebrated on 23rd April, observed as both the birthday and date of death of William Shakespeare.
The day is the result of a 2010 initiative by the Department of Public Information, establishing language days for each of the Organization’s six official languages.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images